Peering into the Galactic Center

Science • Views: 3,919

The Hubble Space Telescope gets all the publicity, but there’s another orbiting telescope that sees into the X-ray spectrum and is also sending back mind-bending images from the depths of space — the Chandra X-ray Observatory.

The latest photograph from Chandra shows the center of our Milky Way galaxy, and the supermassive black hole named Sagittarius A (the bright spot at center right in this image).

A dramatic new vista of the center of the Milky Way galaxy from NASA’s Chandra X-ray Observatory exposes new levels of the complexity and intrigue in the Galactic center. The mosaic of 88 Chandra pointings represents a freeze-frame of the spectacle of stellar evolution, from bright young stars to black holes, in a crowded, hostile environment dominated by a central, supermassive black hole.

Permeating the region is a diffuse haze of X-ray light from gas that has been heated to millions of degrees by winds from massive young stars - which appear to form more frequently here than elsewhere in the Galaxy - explosions of dying stars, and outflows powered by the supermassive black hole - known as Sagittarius A* (Sgr A*). Data from Chandra and other X-ray telescopes suggest that giant X-ray flares from this black hole occurred about 50 and about 300 years earlier.

The area around Sgr A* also contains several mysterious X-ray filaments. Some of these likely represent huge magnetic structures interacting with streams of very energetic electrons produced by rapidly spinning neutron stars or perhaps by a gigantic analog of a solar flare.

Scattered throughout the region are thousands of point-like X-ray sources. These are produced by normal stars feeding material onto the compact, dense remains of stars that have reached the end of their evolutionary trail - white dwarfs, neutron stars and black holes.

1 Fenway_Nation  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:41:07pm

Hubble’s getting it done with one eye tied behind it’s back.

2 Sharmuta  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:42:03pm

Nature is the greatest artist.

3 Kragar  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:43:16pm

I thought there would be more globular clusters.

4 Occasional Reader  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:43:24pm

When I see images like this, it really reminds me how tiny and insignificant the Universe is, compared to Me.

5 Fenway_Nation  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:44:25pm

re: #4 Occasional Reader

Don’t you have some UN Function to attend, Mr. President?

6 Occasional Reader  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:44:35pm

Apologies for the early OT, but it’s related to an earlier T:

John Bolton on the Obama UN Speech.

Guess what? He didn’t like it.

7 Guanxi88  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:45:09pm

Thank you, Charles, for some much-needed perspective.

The troubles of two people don’t amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. How much less, then, must our own squabbles be when we see sights such as these, and can glimpse a small part of the whole that is so great as to make us non-existent for all practical purposes.

Perspective.

8 Occasional Reader  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:45:39pm

In other words, it’s a lot like working for the Federal government.

9 HoosierHoops  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:45:57pm

Great post! For those wanting to know more about chandra. Here is a link to 48 posts about it and the discoveries:
[Link: www.universetoday.com…]

10 Occasional Reader  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:46:24pm

re: #7 Guanxi88

The troubles of two people don’t amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world.

We’ll always have Andromeda.

11 Guanxi88  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:46:59pm

re: #10 Occasional Reader

We’ll always have Andromeda.

Not for long, if current theories of cosmology are correct.

12 sattv4u2  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:47:32pm

Sorry to go OT so soon
BUT

Up next at the UN

Heeerrres’ DINNERJACKET

I’ve got $20 here he calls Daffy and rasies him 20 nuts!

13 tradewind  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:48:19pm

re: #6 Occasional Reader

Reading that, I didn’t really see anything to disagree with. It was certainly not a speech to incite, but it was insightful.
You may or may not like Bolton and his manner, but with Obama in the WH, we’d be better off were he still at the UN.

14 Occasional Reader  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:48:44pm

re: #12 sattv4u2

Sorry to go OT so soon
BUT

Up next at the UN

Heeerrres’ DINNERJACKET

I’ve got $20 here he calls Daffy and rasies him 20 nuts!

I’m looking northward towards NYC… I can already see the aura… I can’t blink!

15 tradewind  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:49:11pm

re: #12 sattv4u2

/Ducks at thought of the tux/

16 Walter L. Newton  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:49:49pm

The photo was taken on a sound stage in Hollywood, I have proof.

17 Kosh's Shadow  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:50:10pm

re: #14 Occasional Reader

I’m looking northward towards NYC… I can already see the aura… I can’t blink!

It’s not an aura; Ahmadinejad looks like he hasn’t taken a shower in a while.

18 sattv4u2  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:50:38pm

re: #16 Walter L. Newton

The photo was taken on a sound stage in Hollywood, I have proof.

heh ,, and here all this time I thought photos’ of Hollywood sound stages were taken in space!

19 Occasional Reader  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:50:39pm

re: #16 Walter L. Newton

The photo was taken on a sound stage in Hollywood, I have proof.

Totally. I can see the duct tape holding up one of the quote-unquote “neutron stars”.

20 Big Steve  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:50:50pm

It looks like an evil worm with horns.

21 Walter L. Newton  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:50:52pm

re: #10 Occasional Reader

We’ll always have Andromeda.

Last time I tried to look at Andromeda, I had to strain.

22 tradewind  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:51:04pm

re: #1 Fenway_Nation

’ Your whirl is lovely, Hubble’.
The closest I can come to a quote from Barb.

23 Guanxi88  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:51:55pm

re: #16 Walter L. Newton

The photo was taken on a sound stage in Hollywood, I have proof.

You have no such proof. The Illuminati who had the set built had the painters killed by one group of workers, who then dismantled the set and slew the photographers, who had already killed the processing folk once the negatives were released. These surviviors were then slain by ANOTHER group of workers (non-union, of course), who were in turn…

24 Guanxi88  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:52:16pm

re: #17 Kosh’s Shadow

It’s not an aura; Ahmadinejad looks like he hasn’t taken a shower in a while.

Flies, maybe?

25 tradewind  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:52:19pm

re: #21 Walter L. Newton
This photo will go viral in a nanosecond.

26 Fenway_Nation  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:53:16pm

Rumor has it that the Iranian Air Force has lost their only operable AWACS plane this week (not sure how trustworthy Debka is).

/Oh noes! Dinnurjakit kant hav AWAX

27 Walter L. Newton  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:54:03pm

re: #21 Walter L. Newton

Last time I tried to look at Andromeda, I had to strain.

Hah, I’m so proud of myself, I finally made a pun.

28 Occasional Reader  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:54:25pm

re: #26 Fenway_Nation

/Oh noes! Dinnurjakit kant hav AWAX

Inshallah. That would be quite convenient, given what the IAF is probably going to have to do, pretty soon.

29 tradewind  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:54:42pm

re: #26 Fenway_Nation

Someone whacked their AWACS?

30 Guanxi88  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:55:18pm

re: #20 Big Steve

It looks like an evil worm with horns.

We aren’t talking about the Glenn Beck ad in the sidebar. Stay on subject.

31 John Neverbend  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:55:22pm

re: #12 sattv4u2

Sorry to go OT so soon
BUT

Up next at the UN

Heeerrres’ DINNERJACKET

The order of speakers is at General Debate. Prince Albert is on at the moment. There are another 8 speakers ahead of Haman.

32 Guanxi88  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:56:21pm

re: #31 John Neverbend

The order of speakers is at General Debate. Prince Albert is on at the moment.

I thought he was still in the can.

33 tradewind  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:56:55pm

re: #32 Guanxi88

Maybe that’s just code for PA.

34 Kosh's Shadow  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:57:27pm

re: #26 Fenway_Nation

/Oh noes! Dinnurjakit kant hav AWAX

It has been in other news sources as well.

35 Walter L. Newton  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:57:32pm

re: #31 John Neverbend

They skipped over Prince Albert, he was in the can.

36 Fenway_Nation  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:57:36pm

re: #29 tradewind

Revolutionary Guard Officer standing in shock, looking at flaming wreckge of the Only AWACs plane: No no no no! Achmedinejahd said he wanted this plane waxed!

37 pre-Boomer Marine brat  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:57:55pm

re: #29 tradewind

Someone whacked their AWACS?

A mid-air collision.

38 Guanxi88  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:57:58pm

re: #33 tradewind

Maybe that’s just code for PA.

No, I’ll be damned - Prince Albert II of Monaco.

39 Walter L. Newton  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:58:00pm

re: #32 Guanxi88

I thought he was still in the can.

re: #35 Walter L. Newton

They skipped over Prince Albert, he was in the can.

Ha!

40 Ben Hur  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:58:05pm

What is our government putting in space that makes rainbows?!?!??!?!?

41 Fenway_Nation  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:58:41pm

re: #34 Kosh’s Shadow

A couple of articles mentioned a mid-air collision, but no mention of the type of aircraft involved (yet).

42 Guanxi88  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:59:18pm

re: #41 Fenway_Nation

That’s pretty funny, when you think of it - AWACS falling prey to a mid-air collision.

43 sattv4u2  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:59:28pm

re: #31 John Neverbend

Thanks ,, CNN said he was up next

44 MrSilverDragon  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 1:59:50pm

re: #40 Ben Hur

What is our government putting in space that makes rainbows?!?!??!?!?

I believe the initials are L, S, and D.

45 Fenway_Nation  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:00:13pm

re: #42 Guanxi88

Damn…my irony-meter’s in the shop.

46 pre-Boomer Marine brat  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:00:33pm

re: #44 MrSilverDragon

I believe the initials are L, S, and D.

That makes me kind of Leary of it.

47 John Neverbend  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:00:55pm

re: #35 Walter L. Newton

They skipped over Prince Albert, he was in the can.

Well, he’s speaking right now.

48 Honorary Yooper  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:01:06pm

re: #44 MrSilverDragon

I believe the initials are L, S, and D.

Lake Shore Drive? I knew the fumes there were bad during rush hour, but wasn’t aware they could make people hallucinate.

49 John Neverbend  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:01:25pm

re: #43 sattv4u2

Thanks ,, CNN said he was up next

Keep watching. Maybe the order has changed. Albert just finished.

50 Pawn of the Oppressor  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:01:31pm

I wonder how this McCain guy’s cosmology fits into this picture. When the South has risen again, will they work extra hard to keep the galaxy segregated? Or something?
re: #40 Ben Hur

What is our government putting in space that makes rainbows?!?!??!?!?

Chemtrails!

51 Ben Hur  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:03:02pm

re: #50 Pawn of the Oppressor

Chemtrails!

The secret behind the shuttle program!

52 Guanxi88  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:03:15pm

re: #47 John Neverbend

Well, he’s speaking right now.

It’s a joke. See, there’s this brand of pipe tobacco called Prince Albert, and one of its features was that it used to come in smallish, pocket-sized tins. In one of the first known instances of viral marketing, folk began crank-calling retailers, asking if the had Prince Albert in the can, and, if so, that they should let him out.

Can is also american slang for the water closet, and so…

53 Jack Burton  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:03:43pm

re: #50 Pawn of the Oppressor

Need to keep those supermassive blackholes away from the supermassive whiteholes!

54 Pawn of the Oppressor  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:04:46pm

re: #51 Ben Hur

The secret behind the shuttle program!

Chemistry is a conspiracy of the Jews!

/Ahmedinejad’s up next, right? Staying on theme…

55 The Curmudgeon  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:05:07pm

Why is the government spending money on this, when they could be giving it to ACORN?
/Obama mode

56 Mad Prophet Ludwig  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:05:40pm

The monster at the center of our galaxy is a wonder and a nightmare to contemplate.

Also Charles could you please fix a post of mine in the AGW thread downstairs there was a part I forgot to put in block quotes, it will be obvious - could you please fix that just this once?

57 John Neverbend  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:06:10pm

re: #52 Guanxi88

There was a similar joke about wild Woodbines.

58 Pawn of the Oppressor  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:06:31pm

re: #53 ArchangelMichael

White dwarfs are the brightest lights in the universe, and black holes are meant to suck. That’s the natural order of things!

/cosmic racism

59 John Neverbend  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:06:31pm

re: #54 Pawn of the Oppressor

Chemistry is a conspiracy of the Jews!

/Ahmedinejad’s up next, right? Staying on theme…

He’s disguised as a Colombian.

60 pre-Boomer Marine brat  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:06:57pm

re: #52 Guanxi88

Can is also american slang for the water closet, and so…

Back in the late 50’s, my Dad took the back off a Canon 35mm which my aunt had just bought. (It had jammed — something minor.) Inside, one of the flat levers had obviously been stamped from a PA can. Dad smoked PA at the time. Everything matched.

61 Kragar  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:07:12pm

re: #56 LudwigVanQuixote

I’m guessing that NASA is suppressing the photos of the dancing elder gods and their monstrous pipers.

62 Randall Gross  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:07:14pm

If Sgr A* were sentient would it think to itself “I am become death, the destroyer of worlds Suns.” ?

63 Mad Prophet Ludwig  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:07:51pm

You might like this…

[Link: science.discovery.com…]

64 Kosh's Shadow  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:08:02pm

re: #50 Pawn of the Oppressor

Chemtrails!

All the black holes will have to go to the back of the galaxy; they won’t be allowed in the center any more.

65 pre-Boomer Marine brat  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:08:40pm

re: #62 Thanos

You really ought to Gita life, Thanos.

66 Fenway_Nation  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:08:41pm

re: #62 Thanos

It would probably hear a slight ‘thump’ and wonder What was that? as it rolled along unabated.

67 Guanxi88  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:08:52pm

re: #60 pre-Boomer Marine brat

Those PA cans were wonders, and so widely used for just about every conceivable purpose. Makes me wonder why (aside from cost, of course) tobacco was ever sold in any other container. The boxes were just so handy (perfect pocket size) that even Popular Mechanics used to feature little shop hints and tips about all the many wonderful uses to which they could be put.

68 Kosh's Shadow  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:08:53pm

re: #61 Kragar (Proud to be Kafir)

Maybe they did too late and that’s why it seems the world has gone insane.

69 The Sanity Inspector  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:09:20pm

There are also orbiting gamma ray and infrared telescopes, which have uncovered multitudes of wonder. Damn, but we’re an amazing civilization…

70 Randall Gross  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:09:23pm

re: #65 pre-Boomer Marine brat

You really ought to Gita life, Thanos.

I guess I vedda think about it.

71 John Neverbend  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:09:58pm

re: #58 Pawn of the Oppressor

/cosmic racism

Yeah, but white dwarfs are highly degenerate objects.

72 pre-Boomer Marine brat  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:10:13pm

re: #67 Guanxi88

It was probably one helluva marketing tool.

73 Guanxi88  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:10:33pm

re: #70 Thanos

I guess I vedda think about it.

Sweet Krishna on a scooter! Are we reduced to this? Never-ending cycle of reincarnated puns?

74 Guanxi88  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:11:24pm

re: #72 pre-Boomer Marine brat

It was probably one helluva marketing tool.

You should see all the patents folks took out for variations on the design, or little gadgets to attach to the already-made cans (match holders, etc). I think it might even be an early case of hardware hacking, for those tech-geeks out there.

75 pre-Boomer Marine brat  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:12:07pm

re: #70 Thanos

I guess I vedda think about it.

Not wanting to become sacrilegious, I’ll simply LOL and let it die.

76 Mad Prophet Ludwig  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:14:21pm

re: #61 Kragar (Proud to be Kafir)

Well if you really want to think about it, the issue is that when you fall into a black hole, you are of course ripped apart, stretched to taffy, irradiate and possibly have part of your constituent matter converted into a plasma jet to be shot into space by the insane EM fields.

But if you fall in all the way.. your matter gets annihilated by Hawking radiation. Hawking radiation works by having a particle anti particle par wink into existence near the event horizon. One particle goes out to space and the other annihilates inside the black hole.

What that means is, that the constituent part of you that had been vaporized, irradiated and turned to plasma, now is quite literally erased from existence.

Black holes are the ultimate death. It is not just that you would die. It is that every part of you would ultimately cease to exist and any information about what made you would too. The information stuff is a reference to black Hole entropy as a result of Hawking radiation.

Physically, there is no more complete death.

77 Jack Burton  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:14:25pm

re: #69 The Sanity Inspector

And just think how much more advanced we will be when we get that heathen Darwin out of the science class and put everything in its proper Biblical… KJV of course… perspective.

We will be able to figure out why this stuff that cant be more than 6012 light years away looks farther than that.

///

/That hurt to type

78 Mad Prophet Ludwig  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:15:08pm

re: #71 John Neverbend

Yeah, but white dwarfs are highly degenerate objects.

Nowhere near as degenerate as neutron stars… you should explain the pun buddy :)

79 Ben Hur  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:15:11pm

re: #76 LudwigVanQuixote

Physically, there is no more complete death.

Allegedly.

80 Ben Hur  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:15:28pm

G-d, I can’t spell.

81 Kosh's Shadow  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:15:48pm

re: #77 ArchangelMichael

///

/That hurt to type

5770 light years, you heretic!
///

82 Guanxi88  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:16:14pm

re: #77 ArchangelMichael

///

/That hurt to type

Can you imagine what it must be like to have a brain you force to think that way?

83 Jack Burton  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:16:17pm

re: #78 LudwigVanQuixote

Quark Stars sell crack on the corner.

84 pre-Boomer Marine brat  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:16:22pm

re: #76 LudwigVanQuixote

Physically, there is no more complete death.

Is that merely hearsay, or can you back it up from personal experience?

/*ducking, running like hell*

85 [deleted]  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:16:31pm
86 MrSilverDragon  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:16:48pm

re: #85 buzzsawmonkey

The question is, is it a chewy galactic center?

Gotta be nougat.

87 Honorary Yooper  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:17:44pm

re: #85 buzzsawmonkey

The question is, is it a chewy galactic center?

No, no, no. The really big question is, “How many licks does it take to get to the center of the galaxy?”

88 [deleted]  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:17:45pm
89 Mad Prophet Ludwig  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:17:58pm

re: #84 pre-Boomer Marine brat

Is that merely hearsay, or can you back it up from personal experience?

/*ducking, running like hell*

You better run muh fuggah … I gots me a big laser right here. Her name is Bessie and she is hungry…

90 Jack Burton  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:18:03pm

re: #85 buzzsawmonkey

The question is, is it a chewy galactic center?

Well it is the Milky Way.

91 Guanxi88  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:18:21pm

re: #90 ArchangelMichael

Well it is the Milky Way.

Snicker, snicker

92 Kragar  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:18:35pm

re: #76 LudwigVanQuixote

Physically, there is no more complete death.

Theoretically anyways. I’m fairly sure my experiments to cross breed piranhas and chihuahuas will end up producing a much more satisfying demise.

93 MrSilverDragon  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:18:58pm

re: #90 ArchangelMichael

Well it is the Milky Way.

Clearly it needs a new name. Milky Way? Sounds like it has a festering and oozing infection of some sort.

/and now the universe seems so much more disgusting

94 Ben Hur  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:19:29pm

re: #91 Guanxi88

Snicker, snicker

Doody!

95 pre-Boomer Marine brat  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:19:38pm

re: #89 LudwigVanQuixote

AUUUGGGGGHHHHH

96 Fenway_Nation  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:19:51pm

re: #92 Kragar (Proud to be Kafir)

Chihuanas?

97 Mad Prophet Ludwig  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:20:20pm

re: #92 Kragar (Proud to be Kafir)

Well, it depends on how sadistic you are…

Split the difference… Your piranuahuas eat whomever and they send the poop into a black hole… how’s that?

98 Ben Hur  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:21:25pm

re: #94 Ben Hur

Doody!

Caddy Shack?

Anyone?

99 Kragar  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:21:26pm

re: #96 Fenway_Nation

Chihuanas?

A veritable swarm of yipping death.

100 Mad Prophet Ludwig  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:21:50pm

re: #95 pre-Boomer Marine brat

AUUUGGGGGHHHHH

Hmmm experiment…

E=mc2

101 Occasional Reader  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:21:51pm

re: #92 Kragar (Proud to be Kafir)

Will they have frickkin’ laser beams attached to their heads?

102 Mad Prophet Ludwig  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:22:20pm

re: #100 LudwigVanQuixote

Hmmm experiment…

E=mc2

Thanks for teaching me how to do that Boomer!

103 Kosh's Shadow  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:22:29pm

re: #91 Guanxi88

Snicker, snicker

We can have Mounds of puns with this one.

104 _RememberTonyC  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:22:36pm

SpaceJesus said this is the same view he has from his living room …

105 Occasional Reader  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:22:48pm

re: #80 Ben Hur

G-d, I can’t spell.

Apparently not. For starters, “God” has an “o” in it, dummy.

106 Kragar  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:22:56pm

re: #97 LudwigVanQuixote

Well, it depends on how sadistic you are…

I can work with that.

107 Guanxi88  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:23:23pm

re: #104 _RememberTonyC

SpaceJesus said this is the same view he has from his mother’s living room …

FIFY

108 Fenway_Nation  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:24:06pm

re: #104 _RememberTonyC

I thought he could see his house from there.

109 Kragar  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:24:24pm

re: #101 Occasional Reader

Will they have frickkin’ laser beams attached to their heads?

We tried, but they kept falling forward with their little hind legs kicking in the air.

110 Honorary Yooper  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:24:41pm

re: #94 Ben Hur

Doody!

It’s still good!

111 John Neverbend  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:25:58pm

re: #78 LudwigVanQuixote

Yes, that’s true.

For those who are interested, a white dwarf is the collapsed core of a star that was once roughly the same size as our sun and certainly not massive enough to collapse to a neutron star. The material of a white dwarf is highly compressed with one cubic centimeter or so weighing perhaps one metric ton. Because of the density of the material , the electrons in the constituent atoms are compressed, so much so that the uncertainty principle dictates that they will have very high momenta. The star stops collapsing when gravity is offset by the pressure of the material arising from thermal energy (it has a non-zero temperature) + the pressure generated by the uncertainty momentum of electrons (independent of temperature). When the component of pressure generated by the uncertainty momentum is greater than the component from thermal motion, the electrons are said to be degenerate.

112 Guanxi88  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:25:59pm

re: #109 Kragar (Proud to be Kafir)

Make ‘m longer then, move some mass (maybe the power supply) aft. This is too important.

113 Kosh's Shadow  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:26:45pm

re: #76 LudwigVanQuixote

A long, long time ago, I read Hawking’s paper “On the Thermodynamics of Black Holes”, and I remember one line from it about Hawking radiation:
“In the unlikely event of the black hole creating and emitting an observer…”

I believe Hawking now believes that information is not destroyed inside a black hole. What really happens awaits a quantum theory of gravity. Some scientists are now proposing that black holes don’t form, but black stars (no event horizon and no singularity, based on a skim of the Scientific American article.)

114 Occasional Reader  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:27:07pm

re: #76 LudwigVanQuixote

Nonsense. You get transported back in time 25 years, and can then take out your revenge on Mr. Spock for not saving your planet from being destroyed by a supernova that threatened “to destroy the galaxy”. Please don’t tell me that Star Trek is anything less than utterly sound science.

115 pre-Boomer Marine brat  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:27:08pm

re: #102 LudwigVanQuixote

Thanks for teaching me how to do that Boomer!

FYI — Zombie posted the following in May 2007:

[Link: littlegreenfootballs.com…]

ZOMBIE’S LGF COMMENT CODE SYMPOSIUM - Part 2
[Link: littlegreenfootballs.com…]

ZOMBIE’S LGF COMMENT CODE SYMPOSIUM - Part 3
[Link: littlegreenfootballs.com…]

116 Randall Gross  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:27:09pm

At some point in some unimaginably far distant future galactic political parties will be debating whether star exploration is contributing to the collapse of the galaxy. Meanwhile the really smart people will be trying to figure out how to survive a galactic collapse into a super black hole.

117 Guanxi88  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:27:13pm

re: #111 John Neverbend

Yes, that’s true.

That’s all well and good, but you still haven’t told me what time it is.

118 John Neverbend  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:28:36pm

re: #117 Guanxi88

That’s all well and good, but you still haven’t told me what time it is.

It’s time for a large glass of Guinness and continued reading of the Dawkins magnum opus, interrupted every 2 minutes by my children’s homework.

119 Occasional Reader  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:29:17pm

re: #117 Guanxi88

That’s all well and good, but you still haven’t told me what time it is.

Hammer Time!

120 Mad Prophet Ludwig  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:29:27pm

re: #113 Kosh’s Shadow

“In the unlikely event of the black hole creating and emitting an observer…”

Well these are some very very big open questions that will only be fully resolved once we know which if any of the six string theories describe the universe we actually live in.

121 Guanxi88  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:29:36pm

re: #118 John Neverbend

Well, it’s always guinness time, naturally. Still, that’s one hell of an explanation. Makes me wish I were educated enough to be able to ask a question worthy of it.

122 rwdflynavy  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:29:45pm

re: #97 LudwigVanQuixote

Well, it depends on how sadistic you are…

Now that is a complete death!

123 Mad Prophet Ludwig  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:30:02pm

re: #115 pre-Boomer Marine brat

favorited! Thanks!

124 Guanxi88  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:30:05pm

re: #120 LudwigVanQuixote

Great! A musician!

125 rwmofo  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:30:17pm

That’s a major glare coming off Picard’s head.

Oh, wait. Maybe a Captain-sized glare.

126 Mad Prophet Ludwig  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:30:24pm

re: #124 Guanxi88

Great! A musician!

G-d is like that :)

127 Achilles Tang  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:30:35pm

re: #113 Kosh’s Shadow

“In the unlikely event of the black hole creating and emitting an observer…”

I think it is a matter of black stars or black holes, under different formation conditions.

128 Fenway_Nation  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:30:45pm

Whoa…what happened to Evergreen Energy today? I’m a relative newbie to the financial world, but a stock losing 40% of it’s value in one day?

Can I blame this one on cap and trade, too?

129 Guanxi88  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:31:00pm

re: #124 Guanxi88

Great! A musician!

re: #126 LudwigVanQuixote

G-d is like that :)

Pythagoras would agree.

130 Kosh's Shadow  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:31:09pm

re: #114 Occasional Reader

I’ll tell you it is 100% sound science when you can deliver a warp drive starship to me. When you have one, let me know and I’ll give you the address. You can beam me up when I’m ready.

131 Kragar  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:31:11pm

re: #112 Guanxi88

We were thinking Dachshund as a secondary platform.

132 Kosh's Shadow  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:32:11pm

re: #120 LudwigVanQuixote

I thought the string theories looked like they were all versions of the same one.

133 The Curmudgeon  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:32:47pm

re: #116 Thanos

I’ve already got that figured out. My bunker is all prepared.

134 Achilles Tang  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:32:56pm

re: #128 Fenway_Nation

Can I blame this one on cap and trade, too?

Hey, trade in stocks at less that a dollar a share and you get what you pay for.

135 Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:33:01pm

re: #76 LudwigVanQuixote

Physically, there is no more complete death.

As a total aside, Hawking conceded the bet and now beleieves that information lost in a black hole can be recovered:

If you jump into a black hole, your mass energy will be returned to our universe, but in a mangled form which contains the information about what you were like, but in an unrecognisable state.

Further work is being done to solve the problem and some demonstrations using 2-D topography further show that information may indeed be preserved.

A primer on the black hole information loss problem. and a Wikipedia article on it.

136 Kosh's Shadow  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:33:08pm

re: #127 Naso Tang

No, this article in the most recent SciAm, was clearly a new theory that singularities did not form due to quantum effects.

137 Kragar  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:33:28pm

re: #130 Kosh’s Shadow

Nah, warpspace is the way to go. We’ll just need to start breeding the navigator gene into the population.

138 Guanxi88  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:33:43pm

re: #116 Thanos

I think a move would be in order. I mean, when the neighborhood goes bad, at some point, ya gotta pull up stakes and move on.

139 Guanxi88  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:34:16pm

re: #137 Kragar (Proud to be Kafir)

Oooh! Can I get have the Spice monopoly? Please, please?

140 Kosh's Shadow  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:34:20pm

re: #137 Kragar (Proud to be Kafir)

Don’t we need spice for that?

141 Mad Prophet Ludwig  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:34:31pm

re: #114 Occasional Reader

I hate to say it, but, this is alas where I fall on the great question of Star Trek…

142 Fenway_Nation  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:34:46pm

re: #134 Naso Tang

Closed above a dollar a share yesterday, that’s for sure.

143 gregb  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:34:52pm

It kind of looks like a rorschach.

144 Kosh's Shadow  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:35:01pm

re: #138 Guanxi88

That’s what the Puppeteers did. Move their entire solar system outside of the range of the exploding galactic center.

145 Kosh's Shadow  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:35:21pm

re: #139 Guanxi88

Oooh! Can I get have the Spice monopoly? Please, please?

You’ll have to deal with those Fremen.

146 Occasional Reader  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:35:31pm

re: #130 Kosh’s Shadow

You can beam me up when I’m ready.

Sorry, dude, I don’t swing that way. NTTAWWT.

And speaking of the most recent Star Trek movie:

Of course, it wouldn’t be Star Trek without a gaping plot hole or two or four. So, the Starfleet Academy juniors have to warp into action because “we have a distress call from Vulcan, reporting some sort of seismic anomaly.” Now, leaving aside the question of why the ENTIRE fleet is elsewhere, leaving only the kids behind to, oh, I dunno, protect Earth… a “seismic anomaly”? Did the Vulcans just not notice the garguantuan starship drilling a hole in their planet?!

147 Achilles Tang  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:35:33pm

re: #136 Kosh’s Shadow

I’ll read it again then. I believe it said that under certain conditions a black star could form.

148 Fenway_Nation  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:35:34pm

re: #143 gregb

galactic rorschach would make a pretty spiffy screen name.

149 John Neverbend  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:35:35pm

re: #121 Guanxi88

Consider this. For “normal” stars, the larger they are, the more massive they are. This seems logical. With white dwarfs, the reverse is true. The smaller ones are more massive than the larger ones.

150 Mad Prophet Ludwig  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:35:51pm

re: #132 Kosh’s Shadow

All string theories are limits (in the mathematical sense of limit) on a larger framework called M theory.

151 Kragar  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:35:57pm

re: #140 Kosh’s Shadow

Don’t we need spice for that?

No, thats folding space. Warpspace relies on telepathy and being able to navigate the currents to locations in real space.

152 Guanxi88  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:36:32pm

re: #145 Kosh’s Shadow

You’ll have to deal with those Fremen.

They seem like nice enough guys. They’re a bit clannish, true, and they’ve got an apocalyptic religion at work in their background, but otherwise I see no reason not make our transport wholly dependent on this one commodity.

153 Walter L. Newton  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:36:40pm

re: #146 Occasional Reader

Sorry, dude, I don’t swing that way. NTTAWWT.

And speaking of the most recent Star Trek movie:

Ok, no more spoilers please, I haven’t seen the movie yet.

154 Kragar  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:36:49pm

re: #145 Kosh’s Shadow

You’ll have to deal with those Fremen.

Nope. We can just virus bomb and be done with them.

155 Kosh's Shadow  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:36:50pm

re: #147 Naso Tang

You mean a black hole? The article said that black stars form instead of black holes.

156 gregb  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:36:51pm

…or the new Mac OS XI desktop background.

157 pre-Boomer Marine brat  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:37:24pm

re: #120 LudwigVanQuixote

… which if any of the six string theories …

I KNEW it!
The scientists are just stringing us along!

/glutton for punishment … *running like hell again*

158 Mad Prophet Ludwig  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:37:48pm

re: #135 bloodstar

I am deeply impressed! Yes, it is possible that in some weird ways that some information might be retrievable. However, you also know that this is information in a very very specific sense. It would not for instance say anything about you. It might be able to show that something of your mass fell in.

159 Occasional Reader  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:38:09pm

re: #153 Walter L. Newton

Ok, no more spoilers please, I haven’t seen the movie yet.

Oh, um…

SPOILER ALERT

Better late than never.

(Actually, I didn’t spoil anything for you… yet.)

160 Ben Hur  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:38:41pm

Don’t drink the milk! It’s spoiled!

161 Drogheda  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:38:50pm

re: #128 Fenway_Nation

Can I blame this one on cap and trade, too?

If you check the headlines on the linked page it seems that they planned to sell an asset but the planned sale didn’t happen. Now they’re having some money problems.

162 Occasional Reader  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:38:58pm

re: #155 Kosh’s Shadow

The article said that black stars form instead of black holes.

It’s like the Apollo Theater!

163 Kosh's Shadow  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:39:02pm

re: #152 Guanxi88

Reminds me of the parody, Doon. In it, they had the “Missionaria Phonibalonica”
The book is hilarious; it tells of the planet Doon, Arruckus, the dessert planet, whose vast sugars are home to the sweatsuit-clad freedmenmen and giant pretzels, and are the sole source of that mysterious, mind-altering substance known as “Beer”.

164 Mad Prophet Ludwig  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:39:11pm

re: #141 LudwigVanQuixote

[Video]

Which is to say STAR WARS ALL THE WAY!

cough cough, got that out of my system…

I actually kinds like Trek now and again…

BUT STAR WARS ALL THE WAY!

165 pre-Boomer Marine brat  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:39:33pm

re: #162 Occasional Reader

It’s like the Apollo Theater!

*groan*

166 Ben Hur  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:39:55pm

re: #162 Occasional Reader

It’s like the Apollo Theater!

Is that you , Sven?!?

167 Mad Prophet Ludwig  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:40:05pm

re: #162 Occasional Reader

It’s like the Apollo Theater!

So say we all! OK BSG too…

168 Achilles Tang  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:40:38pm

re: #142 Fenway_Nation

Closed above a dollar a share yesterday, that’s for sure.

As I see it, if you measure to cut something with a 1/8 inch accuracy you will be pretty close if you want 36 inches in length. If you want 1 inch in length you are bound to be off by quite a bit.

Speculating on $1 shares is a fools game, unless you really know what you are doing because then you can be sure most of the others don’t.

Never buy a stock under $10 per share.

169 Kosh's Shadow  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:41:15pm

re: #164 LudwigVanQuixote

Which is to say STAR WARS ALL THE WAY!

cough cough, got that out of my system…

I actually kinds like Trek now and again…

BUT STAR WARS ALL THE WAY!

Babylon 5.

Now I’m imagining a scene like in the Raiders of the Lost Ark.
A Jedi takes a light saber and waves it around in fantastic patterns. His opponent pulls out a blaster…

170 Killgore Trout  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:41:16pm

re: #128 Fenway_Nation

Evergreen Energy Inc. (NYSE: EEE) plummeted 45% to $0.569 on huge volume of 7.10 million shares . Today, Evergreen Energy Inc., a green energy technology solutions company, provided an update on its process to sell Buckeye Industrial Mining Co. and its financing alternatives..On September 18, 2009, our exclusivity arrangement for the sale of Buckeye Industrial Mining expired. Although we are continuing to negotiate with the current possible acquirer, we do not have a definitive agreement to sell Buckeye.

171 Kosh's Shadow  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:42:19pm

re: #167 LudwigVanQuixote

So say we all! OK BSG too…

The ending of that show made the rest of it a waste of time to me.

172 Kragar  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:43:04pm

re: #169 Kosh’s Shadow

Babylon 5.

Now I’m imagining a scene like in the Raiders of the Lost Ark.

As my bounty hunter learned in Star Wars: the RPG “Shotgun beats saber”

173 Ben Hur  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:43:16pm

bbl

174 badger1970  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:43:31pm

Breaking news chutzpah;
ACORN sues filmakers

BALTIMORE (AP) ― ACORN has filed a lawsuit against the makers of a hidden-camera video that showed employees of its Baltimore office giving tax advice to a man posing as a pimp and a woman posing as a prostitute.

The liberal activist group contends that the audio portion of the video was obtained illegally because Maryland requires two-party consent to create sound recordings.

The two employees seen in the video were fired after it was posted online. The lawsuit says the employees, Tonja Thompson and Shera Williams, suffered “extreme emotional distress.”

The multimillion-dollar lawsuit seeks damages from James O’Keefe and Hannah Giles, who played the pimp and prostitute in the videos, and from conservative columnist Andrew Breitbart, who posted the videos on his Web site

175 OldLineTexan  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:43:43pm

re: #169 Kosh’s Shadow

Babylon 5.

Now I’m imagining a scene like in the Raiders of the Lost Ark.

… and the Jedi deflects the blaster pulse, ricocheting it back into his attacker.

Jedi are only in danger from Sith and rogue clone troopers!

176 Jack Burton  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:43:54pm

Since we are on the subject. I’ve never really got a straight answer to this from any of my research. Why are some physicists theorizing the existence of naked singularities? I do not understand how a singularity can exist without an event horizon or why anyone would think so.

177 Mad Prophet Ludwig  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:44:34pm

re: #169 Kosh’s Shadow

Babylon 5.

Now I’m imagining a scene like in the Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Uh huh… I am imagining that the ppg gets deflected or absorbed and that the Jedi finds your lack of faith to be most disturbing.

178 Walter L. Newton  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:44:38pm

re: #174 badger1970

Breaking news chutzpah;
ACORN sues filmakers

Well, maybe finally justice will be done.

179 Mad Prophet Ludwig  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:45:41pm

re: #175 OldLineTexan

Jedi are only in danger from Sith and rogue clone troopers!

Beat me too it… though in the later movies, they seem to be terribly prone to terrible pick up lines. Good thing that they can manage a hand wave while saying “you think I’m sexy!”

180 Fenway_Nation  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:46:02pm

re: #168 Naso Tang

My few stock purchases meet that criteria at least.

Having said that, I missed out on some real bargains earlier this year (Kansas City Southern, Caterpillar, Ferrellgas, Trinity Steel) when I dedcided to play it safe with some utilities.

For whatever reason, some (but not all) of the grocery stores are trading pretty low right about now.

181 OldLineTexan  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:46:12pm

re: #179 LudwigVanQuixote

They have a terrible record with hand safety as well.

182 MJ  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:46:39pm

re: #174 badger1970

Breaking news chutzpah;
ACORN sues filmakers

Who’s advising these people?
Anyone tell them about Discovery?

183 Kragar  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:46:56pm

Dumbest Jedi line ever: “Only the Sith speak of absolutes!”

Now think about that for a minute.

184 Randall Gross  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:47:00pm

re: #133 The Curmudgeon

I’ve already got that figured out. My bunker is all prepared.

I plan to hide in a bobble.

185 OldLineTexan  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:47:04pm

re: #180 Fenway_Nation

My few stock purchases meet that criteria at least.

I feel most like Dr. Zoidberg with his “sandwich portfolio”.

186 Occasional Reader  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:47:19pm

re: #174 badger1970

Breaking news chutzpah;
ACORN sues filmakers

Now, that’s odd. I thought ACORN’s official story was that they were shocked, shocked, to find there was promotion of underage bordellos in this establishment, and were so toootally thankful that they have the opportunity to root out those very few bad apples in their otherwise pristine organization who were doing this.

So… shouldn’t they be awarding the filmmakers medals or something, instead of suing them?

Imagine my surprise.

187 pre-Boomer Marine brat  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:47:39pm

re: #181 OldLineTexan

They have a terrible record with hand safety as well.

Speaking of which, has anyone heard from DEZ lately?

188 Mad Prophet Ludwig  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:48:37pm

re: #181 OldLineTexan

They have a terrible record with hand safety as well.

So true, one of my favorite geek quizzes was on how many and which bits you would be most likely to have lopped off if you were a Jedi.

The important point is that if you are a mega baddass, you seem to keep all your bits.

Even mace Windu was in one piece until he got bushwhacked.

189 badger1970  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:49:03pm

re: #182 MJ

ACORN too big to fail and frankly they must think not much would be found (shredders and burn bins working OT)

190 Achilles Tang  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:49:05pm

re: #155 Kosh’s Shadow

The title says “Black Stars Not Black Holes”. The articles says “may” form under conditions of a slower collapse than that postulated for Black Holes.

Could be that they always form. We don’t know. I don’t know. Just reading the article.

191 SpaceJesus  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:50:38pm

get out of my yard

192 Racer X  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:50:52pm

re: #182 MJ

Who’s advising these people?
Anyone tell them about Discovery?

This is going to be interesting.

193 Occasional Reader  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:50:53pm

re: #188 LudwigVanQuixote

Even mace Windu was in one piece until he got bushwhacked

“Does Yoda look like a b**ch? DOES YODA LIKE LIKE A B**CH?!”

194 Fenway_Nation  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:51:05pm

re: #185 OldLineTexan

Don’t spend it all in one place.

195 pre-Boomer Marine brat  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:51:59pm

re: #188 LudwigVanQuixote

Even mace Windu was in one piece until he got bushwhacked.

The kiddies need to study this (these) — the Musashi Miyamoto trilogy

196 Kragar  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:52:45pm

re: #188 LudwigVanQuixote

Even mace Windu was in one piece until he got bushwhacked.

Now what should have happened to Mace was as he makes his way to the Senate Chambers, he gets blasted from behind and out from the shadows stalks the man with a reason to kill him.

“Hello. My name is Boba Fett. You killed my father. Prepare to die.”

197 Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:54:04pm

re: #186 Occasional Reader

Imagine my surprise.

Horrible PR move for ACORN, however from a legal standpoint, it makes sense. If you can get evidence thrown out or discredited because of the illegal nature of the evidence, then in the eyes of the law, there are less cases to demonstrate a pattern of misdeeds.

ACORN is still dog poop though… though thinking further, that may be insulting dog poop everywhere.

198 Achilles Tang  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:55:14pm

re: #180 Fenway_Nation

My few stock purchases meet that criteria at least.

Anybody would have made money on almost anything if you bought back in the beginning of the year. All of mine (not a big player here) are up between 50% and 90%. I take advice, but decided that cheap was cheap and if everything else went down the tubes what I had then wouldn’t make any difference anyway. Mostly financials, insurance and some tech.

199 Kragar  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:55:37pm

re: #193 Occasional Reader

“Does Yoda look like a b**ch? DOES YODA LIKE LIKE A B**CH?!”

I dont know, maybe. Can we see a comparison between a male and female of his species?

200 Randall Gross  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:57:34pm

Top ten discoveries in Ten Years of Chandra

[Link: chandra.harvard.edu…]

201 Mad Prophet Ludwig  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:57:35pm

OK true Starwars nerd QUIZ

I will be deeply impressed with anyone who can answer this without using wiki.

Clone trooper level…

Where is the secret rebel base in episode IV?
What was the name of Vader’s Super Star destroyer?

Padawan level…

What kind of ship is the Millennium Falcon?
What planet is Han Solo From?
What is the “Rule of Two”

Jedi level

What was the secret rebel base in episode IV before it became the base?
On what hyperspace route is Hoth?

Jedi Master

Who was Arcajeth?
What was the Empress Teta System?
Who turned Darth Revan to the darkside?
Who came up with the Rule of Two?
What is the significance of Ossus?

AND Yoda would be impressed…

Who was Lettow?

202 OldLineTexan  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:57:51pm

re: #194 Fenway_Nation

Don’t spend it all in one place.

Alas, like Zoidberg, I neglected to refrigerate it.

203 Mad Prophet Ludwig  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:58:14pm

re: #196 Kragar (Proud to be Kafir)

“Hello. My name is Boba Fett. You killed my father. Prepare to die.”

lol

204 Racer X  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:58:33pm
205 Mad Prophet Ludwig  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:58:34pm

re: #199 Kragar (Proud to be Kafir)

Check out Yaddle…

206 Occasional Reader  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 2:59:00pm

re: #201 LudwigVanQuixote

I believe that above “Jedi Master Level” comes “Hasn’t had a date since 1995 Level”, correct?

207 OldLineTexan  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 3:00:06pm

re: #206 Occasional Reader

Ah … the “Trekkie Singularity”.

208 Racer X  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 3:00:31pm

re: #201 LudwigVanQuixote

OK true Starwars nerd QUIZ

I will be deeply impressed with anyone who can answer this without using wiki.

Clone trooper level…

Where is the secret rebel base in episode IV?
What was the name of Vader’s Super Star destroyer?

Padawan level…

What kind of ship is the Millennium Falcon?
What planet is Han Solo From?
What is the “Rule of Two”

Jedi level

What was the secret rebel base in episode IV before it became the base?
On what hyperspace route is Hoth?

Jedi Master

Who was Arcajeth?
What was the Empress Teta System?
Who turned Darth Revan to the darkside?
Who came up with the Rule of Two?
What is the significance of Ossus?

AND Yoda would be impressed…

Who was Lettow?

… why LVQ doesn’t have a girlfriend.

/Kidding!

209 Mad Prophet Ludwig  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 3:00:47pm

re: #206 Occasional Reader

Incorrect. There are quite a few of us Star Wars guys who actually do get laid regularly… You are thinking of Trekkies…

/ducks… Oh what am I afraid of, you’ll have Picard write me a nasty letter?

210 Mad Prophet Ludwig  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 3:01:33pm

re: #208 Racer X

… why LVQ doesn’t have a girlfriend.

/Kidding!

lol… Answered that in 209 as you were posting that…

211 Randall Gross  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 3:02:01pm

Two days until Dollhouse premier…

[Link: www.fox.com…]

212 Occasional Reader  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 3:02:32pm

re: #209 LudwigVanQuixote

Ewoks don’t count.

213 Kragar  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 3:03:19pm

re: #201 LudwigVanQuixote

OK true Starwars nerd QUIZ

I will be deeply impressed with anyone who can answer this without using wiki.

Clone trooper level…

Where is the secret rebel base in episode IV?
What was the name of Vader’s Super Star destroyer?

Padawan level…

What kind of ship is the Millennium Falcon?
What planet is Han Solo From?
What is the “Rule of Two”

Jedi level

What was the secret rebel base in episode IV before it became the base?
On what hyperspace route is Hoth?

Jedi Master

Who was Arcajeth?
What was the Empress Teta System?
Who turned Darth Revan to the darkside?
Who came up with the Rule of Two?
What is the significance of Ossus?

AND Yoda would be impressed…

Who was Lettow?

The moon of the gas giant Yavin 4
X
Corellian yt-1300
Corellia
For the sith, one master, one apprentice
Temple for a Sith lord
and I’m done

214 Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 3:03:49pm

This is so incredibly off topic, but I don’t care: Ludovico Einaudi has a new album coming out. and if you haven’t heard his stuff before, he’s… amazing. Since I don’t know if you can embed videos here, I’m just going to include a link to a song off the new album from youtube “Lady Labyrinth

215 Kosh's Shadow  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 3:05:20pm

re: #211 Thanos

Two days until Dollhouse premier…

[Link: www.fox.com…]

Have you seen the episode on the DVD, Epitaph One?

No spoilers.

Depressing, though.

216 Randall Gross  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 3:05:37pm

re: #214 bloodstar

Your link embedded

217 Kosh's Shadow  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 3:05:55pm

Time for me to head home

218 Randall Gross  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 3:06:18pm

re: #215 Kosh’s Shadow

Have you seen the episode on the DVD, Epitaph One?

No spoilers.

Depressing, though.

Yep, very post apocalyptic. I think of it as one possible future…

219 Mad Prophet Ludwig  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 3:06:29pm

re: #212 Occasional Reader

Ewoks don’t count.

OK that made me snort my beer!

220 Jack Burton  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 3:06:57pm

re: #201 LudwigVanQuixote

Clone trooper level…

Where is the secret rebel base in episode IV? Yavin IV
What was the name of Vader’s Super Star destroyer? Executor

Padawan level…

What kind of ship is the Millennium Falcon? YT1300 Freighter
What planet is Han Solo From? Corellia
What is the “Rule of Two” One Master, One Apprentice

Jedi level

What was the secret rebel base in episode IV before it became the base? Wampa Cave
On what hyperspace route is Hoth? Correlian Trade Spine

Jedi Master

Who was Arcajeth? geek-fail
What was the Empress Teta System? Solar System in the Tion Hegemony?
Who turned Darth Revan to the darkside? Darth Traya
Who came up with the Rule of Two? Darth Bane
What is the significance of Ossus? Jedi Academy

AND Yoda would be impressed…

Who was Lettow? geek-fail

Do I get partial credit?

221 Mad Prophet Ludwig  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 3:07:06pm

re: #213 Kragar (Proud to be Kafir)

The moon of the gas giant Yavin 4
X
Corellian yt-1300
Corellia
For the sith, one master, one apprentice
Temple for a Sith lord
and I’m done

All correct… I’ll post more answers later if anyone is interested.

222 Jack Burton  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 3:08:00pm

re: #220 ArchangelMichael

Crap you said Episode IV not V… Yavin IV was not a wampa cave obviously lol

223 Kragar  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 3:08:45pm

re: #220 ArchangelMichael

You confused Hoth with Yavin, you fool!

224 Mostly sane, most of the time.  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 3:09:18pm

The galactic center of the Galaxy is my teenager, according to all available evidence.

225 Jack Burton  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 3:09:40pm

re: #223 Kragar (Proud to be Kafir)

Yeah I know. Head working faster than eyes.

226 Mad Prophet Ludwig  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 3:12:31pm

re: #220 ArchangelMichael

Clone trooper level…

Where is the secret rebel base in episode IV? Yavin IV
What was the name of Vader’s Super Star destroyer? Executor

Padawan level…

What kind of ship is the Millennium Falcon? YT1300 Freighter
What planet is Han Solo From? Corellia
What is the “Rule of Two” One Master, One Apprentice

Jedi level

No, it was a Massassi Temple to Naga Sado.

On what hyperspace route is Hoth? Correlian Trade Spine

Jedi Master

Who was Arcajeth? geek-fail

He was a Jedi Watchman and a teacher of Nomi Sunrider. He was instrumental in putting down the Sith in the Great Sith War.

What was the Empress Teta System? Solar System in the Tion Hegemony?
Who turned Darth Revan to the darkside? Darth Traya
Who came up with the Rule of Two? Darth Bane
What is the significance of Ossus? Jedi Academy

AND Yoda would be impressed…

Who was Lettow? geek-fail

Do I get partial credit?

Lettow was the original villain idea for the Sith. The were going to be called the “Legions of Lettow”, the first and worst sith lord. SOmeone convinced Lucas that this name was too campy. Legend has it that it was Spielberg.

227 Kosh's Shadow  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 3:13:09pm

re: #224 EmmmieG

The egocentric universe, yes. All teenagers believe in it.

228 Mad Prophet Ludwig  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 3:13:52pm

re: #220 ArchangelMichael

The Nerd is strong in this one! I sense much OCD!

229 Jack Burton  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 3:14:38pm

re: #228 LudwigVanQuixote

The Nerd is strong in this one! I sense much OCD!

30 something years of watching movies, reading books, and playing video games… you pick up a few things.

230 Mad Prophet Ludwig  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 3:15:17pm

re: #229 ArchangelMichael

I think we have much in common :)

231 Kragar  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 3:17:51pm

re: #230 LudwigVanQuixote

I think we have much in common :)

I had to stop reading the books when every one started being either an ancient Sith lord returning or another Imperial super weapon being uncovered and threatening the galaxy.

232 Mostly sane, most of the time.  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 3:19:41pm

Well, since we are seriously geeking out, can I mention that I’m a little miffed that they made Guybrush Threepwood look a little less geeky in the new Monkey Island game?

233 bofhell  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 3:23:32pm

re: #76 LudwigVanQuixote

Physically, there is no more complete death.

Having more than a passing interest in this, but less than a professional one, wasn’t it found that there was information leakage from a black hole, that the annihilation was in fact NOT complete?

234 bofhell  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 3:27:14pm

re: #81 Kosh’s Shadow

5770 light years, you heretic!
///

So here is Chassidic Karma for you. This is now the year 5770, and of course, Chabad Lubavitchers just go wild for anything related to the number 770. [For those just joining our Gematria-fest (Gematria is Jewish Numerology — the assignment of significance to certain numbers), 770 is the address of Chabad’s headquarters in Brooklyn — 770 Eastern Parkway.] Well, this year is my 49th birthday — 7 x 7. Of course next year is my 50th birthday. 5770. QED.

235 bofhell  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 3:30:23pm

re: #113 Kosh’s Shadow

“In the unlikely event of the black hole creating and emitting an observer…”

That’s what I had thought…

236 Mad Prophet Ludwig  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 3:33:53pm

re: #233 bofhell

I believe that it is more under debate than settled. To be honest, What I am saying is my current understanding, and I have not been to a black hole entropy talk in a few years.

If you have newer information then please link me.

237 bofhell  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 3:34:15pm

re: #146 Occasional Reader

Sorry, dude, I don’t swing that way. NTTAWWT.

And speaking of the most recent Star Trek movie:

Would I be late in pointing out that Star Trek is unto itself ONE LARGE PLOT HOLE [Maybe it is simply a plot black hole?]

238 Mad Prophet Ludwig  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 3:34:41pm

re: #231 Kragar (Proud to be Kafir)

Actually the Yuuzhon Vong pissed me off the most. However, the Dark Horse Comics are excellent.

239 wiffersnapper  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 3:35:19pm

Go Hubble Go. This is so cool!

240 Kragar  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 3:37:47pm

re: #238 LudwigVanQuixote

I had lost interest before then

241 bofhell  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 3:39:13pm

re: #236 LudwigVanQuixote

If you have newer information then please link me.

High energy astronomy was Dad’s field (X-Ray), and my girlfriend’s field (Gamma Rays). I just read columns of data from Uhuru.

242 bofhell  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 3:54:23pm

FWIW all, Hubble and Chandra are actually part of a constellation of four LEO (Low Earth Orbit) observatories. The other two are Compton (Gamma rays — de-orbited in 2000) and Spitzer (Infrared). The science provided by these and the Mars Rovers are (my view) the two biggest reasons NOT to send man back to the moon, let alone Mars. These instruments have provided an INCREDIBLE wealth of information about our solar system and universe at a fraction of the cost of a manned mission. I’d add that while no one was happy when Beagle or the Mars Polar Lander were lost, that can’t compare with Discovery or Challenger.

I’m a big fan of exploring space, but I’m deferring to the wisdom of Leonard “Bones” McCoy, MD:

Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence.

Rant off.

243 2SoonOld2LateSmart  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 4:29:38pm

re: #4 Occasional Reader

Makes one feel so.. so.. insignificant

244 bofhell  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 4:35:14pm

re: #243 2SoonOld2LateSmart

Makes one feel so.. so.. insignificant

Ah, but the wings of a butterfly flapping on one side of the world can have great impact elsewhere.

245 LotharBot  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 4:41:54pm

re: #26 Fenway_Nation

Seeing it reported in a few places. Sounds like it collided with an F-5 Tiger II. The F-5 is the airplane they painted black and called the “MiG 28” in Top Gun.

246 Achilles Tang  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 4:47:18pm

re: #245 LotharBot

Must have been an Israeli sabotage. Nobody could fly into an AWACS by accident//

247 Coracle  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 4:47:35pm

Planetary Science Triple Play coming up over the week:

The Moon (From multiple missions - Water - lots of it.)

Mars (New MRO findings announced in Science, likely Mars climate cycles.)

Mercury (MESSENGER’s third flyby happens on Tuesday)

248 bofhell  Wed, Sep 23, 2009 6:54:22pm

re: #247 Coracle

Planetary Science Triple Play coming up over the week:

The Moon (From multiple missions - Water - lots of it.)

Mars (New MRO findings announced in Science, likely Mars climate cycles.)

Mercury (MESSENGER’s third flyby happens on Tuesday)

Alas, it is not water water but hydroxide (OH) that has been found on Mars.

249 sffilk  Thu, Sep 24, 2009 8:37:46am

Beautiful picture!

Black Pumas - I’m Ready (Live on the Late Late Show With James Corden) "I'm Ready" is available on the GRAMMY-nominated Deluxe Edition of the Black Pumas debut album. The Deluxe Edition includes 11 bonus tracks (3 brand new songs, 4 covers, and 4 live recordings) and is available now in 2xLP, 2xCD ...
Tweets: 1 •
Tomorrow - Jimmy Wahlsteen, Vincent VegaProvided to YouTube by Epidemic Sound Tomorrow · Jimmy Wahlsteen · Vincent Vega Epidemic Presents: Crates (M. Bison Edition) ℗ Epidemic Sound Released on: 2020-03-13 Producer: Kasper LindgrenComposer: Jimmy Wahlsteen Auto-generated by YouTube.
Tweets: 2 •
#Thegreatpoolpondconversion - 210221The waterfall bilge pump died three weeks ago.We're trying something new.Saturday we test installed two tiny aquarium pumps to get the waterfall going again.These pumps are very small but are designed to run all the time. Bilge pumps aren't. Though ...
Dangerman
Tweets: 0 •
The Staves - Best Friend [Live at Lafayette] The Staves - Best Friend [Live at Lafayette] Our new album 'Good Woman' is out now: lnk.to Follow The Staves:Facebook thestaves.lnk.toTwitter thestaves.lnk.toInstagram thestaves.lnk.to YouTube thestaves.lnk.toSpotify thestaves.lnk.toiTunes thestaves.lnk.to When I could be anythingThat I wanted OhWe could be better thanBetter ...
1 week, 1 day ago
Tweets: 1 •
Sting - Shape of My Heart (Official Music Video)REMASTERED IN HD!Official Video For Sting's "Shape Of My Heart".#Sting #ShapeOfMyHeart #Remastered
1 week, 1 day ago
Views: 1,146 • Comments: 0 • Rating: 0
Tweets: 0 •
Amy Macdonald - Statues (Single Mix) (Official Audio) One of Amy's best features is that she doesn't "Americanize" her singing voice, something too many UK performers do. The Official Audio for Statues (Single Mix) by Amy Macdonald, taken from the new album 'The Human Demands'. Listen now: ...
1 week, 1 day ago
Views: 1,159 • Comments: 0 • Rating: 0
Tweets: 1 •
KALEO - Break My Baby (LIVE From Þrídrangar, Iceland) Break My Baby - Live from Þrídrangar - Iceland Music and Lyrics by JJ Julius Son Stream/Download: kaleo.lnk.to Þrídrangar means “three rock pillars” and is located 4.5 miles from Iceland's south coast. In 1939, three of Westman Islands' best ...
2 weeks ago
Views: 1,923 • Comments: 0 • Rating: 0
Tweets: 6 •
Lake Street Dive - Hypotheticals [From Phantom Studios] Video Directed + Produced by Alex Chaloff for Bucket's Moving CompanyRecorded at Phantom Studios, Gallatin TN"Hypotheticals" from the upcoming Lake Street Dive album ObviouslyOut March 12th on Nonesuch RecordsPre-Order Obviously NOW: smarturl.it Produced by Mike ElizondoRachael Price: vocalsMike “McDuck” ...
2 weeks ago
Views: 1,596 • Comments: 0 • Rating: 0
Tweets: 4 •
Jon Batiste - CRY (Lyric Video) Listen to “CRY” and order my album ‘WE ARE’: jon-batiste.lnk.to Shop merch: jonbatistestore.com Follow Jon:Instagram: jon-batiste.lnk.toFacebook: jon-batiste.lnk.toTwitter: jon-batiste.lnk.toSpotify: jon-batiste.lnk.to Apple Music: jon-batiste.lnk.toAmazon: jon-batiste.lnk.toSoundcloud: jon-batiste.lnk.toPandora: jon-batiste.lnk.toYouTube Music: jon-batiste.lnk.to Official Website: jonbatiste.com Video Credits:Director: Charles ToddDirector of Photography: Ben CareyProducer: Brian ...
2 weeks ago
Views: 2,036 • Comments: 0 • Rating: 0
Tweets: 5 •
Robert Fripp & Peter Gabriel - Here Comes the Flood (1979) [RV VERSION] Robert Fripp & Peter Gabriel - Here Comes The Flood (1979) [RV VERSION] #Peter gabriel robert fripp here comes the flood#Robert fripp peter gabriel flood#robert fripp peter gabriel flood#gabriel fripp here comes the floodhere comes the flood#Fripp#Peter#Gabriel#robert fripp#King crimson ...
2 weeks ago