Windows 7 Released

You may have heard that Microsoft’s new version of Windows (Windows 7) has been officially released, with features such as Jump Lists, Aero Shake, Snap, new Device Stage Management, as well as new levels of home group network interaction. There’s a lot of talk about it on the PC websites; the consensus seems to be that it’s a solid upgrade with improvements in stability and speed, and very much worth the cost.

Here’s a link to Amazon’s Windows 7 Resource Center — purchase your upgrade by clicking this link and you’ll help support LGF!

Note for Mac users: Apple’s Boot Camp OS emulator doesn’t run Windows 7 yet; Apple says they’ll have an update later this year. But if you can’t wait, the current version of Parallels Desktop and the new version of VMware Fusion (being released October 27) support Windows 7.

1 Kragar  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 11:28:41am

I’ll wait till the first service pack is released.

2 Oh no...Sand People!  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 11:29:13am

re: #1 Kragar (Proud to be Kafir)

I’ll wait till the first service pack is released.

LOL!

3 MrSilverDragon  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 11:29:29am

Well, it’s nice to hear that this particular Windows OS is more stable than its predecessors, but I’ll continue to use Linux for my servers. Heck, that’s what I’d have on my desktop at work if this place wasn’t so Windows-centric.

4 The Sanity Inspector  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 11:29:52am

My brother-in-law was at a tech conference and picked up a copy to give me. Can’t wait to try it out!

5 Political Atheist  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 11:31:19am

Because I am a part time IT guy at a tiny company I have this rule. No operating systems less than 1 year old are allowed in. This rule has served me well since Dos 4.0

Oh man did I just age myself there or what?!

6 vxbush  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 11:33:27am

Ah, but there are instrux out there for getting Windows 7 to install:

How to Survive Boot camp (and run Win 7 on a Mac)

7 Oh no...Sand People!  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 11:37:29am

Enjoy your day folks.

Later.

8 Bagua  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 11:39:05am

re: #1 Kragar (Proud to be Kafir)

I’ll wait till the first service pack is released.

There is no need to wait. Windows 7 in good right out of the box. Best OS Microsoft has every made.

9 Velvet Elvis  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 11:39:36am

I’ve gotten it to work under VirtualBox on a debian host so if VirtualBox is available for macs, it should work there.

10 astronmr20  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 11:40:13am

Have heard only good things about this one from my beta tester friends…

Finally! Hope it’s as efficient and smooth as OSX.

11 Bagua  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 11:41:00am

re: #5 Rightwingconspirator

Oh man did I just age myself there or what?!

Depending on your hardware, it is not necessary to apply this rule to Win7. (Mind you I’ve always waited in the past and never went to Vista.)

12 Kragar  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 11:42:04am

re: #8 Bagua

There is no need to wait. Windows 7 in good right out of the box.

Famous last words.

13 vxbush  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 11:43:38am

re: #8 Bagua

Heh. Apple has a response to that:
Apple commercials about Windows 7

14 astronmr20  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 11:44:48am

re: #11 Bagua

Yup. Technically this is the “fixed” version of Vista.

15 Kragar  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 11:46:21am

re: #14 astronmr20

Yup. Technically this is the “fixed” version of Vista.

Fixed has more than one meaning.

16 Bagua  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 11:46:53am

re: #12 Kragar (Proud to be Kafir)

Famous last words.

I have Windows 7 running on about 6 PCs for the last few months.

Runs great, less filling.

17 Baier  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 11:47:22am

I’m currently running Window POS.

18 KernelPanic  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 11:47:25am

Heh. I go through one Macbook Pro per year (handing the old one off to family members), have three Mac minis at home (two attached to TVs, one used as a server and holder-of-timeMachine backups) and a couple of iphones.

I’m still probably going to pick up Windows 7 within the next 48 hours, mainly because the netbook form factor has interested me and the HP “Mini 311” netbook comes with the Nvidia ION chipset, Windows 7 and built in verizon EVDO Rev.A for when wireless is not available.

19 William Barnett-Lewis  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 11:48:44am

I’ve got 10.6.1 on the Macbook & Win2k on VMware.

I used to be an IT guy for a government agency. We were on Data General Unix (88K Aviion for those of you who understand… ) then got forced onto Windows. Win2k was ok; XP was bad enough; I never tried Vista & it’ll be a cold day someplace before my precious has it’s bits polluted by touching Windows 7…

/well, only the “my precious” bit is sarc…

William

21 Guanxi88  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 11:51:09am

Sad to say, though I use Windows OS for everything I do, I don’t trust their new releases. I’ve been burned by every OS since I switched from NT.

22 Baier  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 11:52:21am

re: #21 Guanxi88

I’ve had some many wireless connectivity issues with Vista, I don’t want to get burned twice…though the problem still persist.

23 SpaceJesus  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 11:53:06am

little afternoon music

24 Izzy Dunne  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 11:53:24am

Is it any better than Windows RG ?

25 MandyManners  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 11:54:48am

re: #14 astronmr20

Yup. Technically this is the “fixed” version of Vista.

They neutered Vista?

26 William Barnett-Lewis  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 11:55:53am

re: #5 Rightwingconspirator

Dos 4? gah, I remember hoping the shell would be useful like Norton Commander… (dating myself even worse, I fear).

William

27 Bagua  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 11:58:48am

Any one who disses Windows 7 in not a Patriot™

28 CommonCents  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 11:58:53am

You’ve got to hand it to the math teachers of Microsoft’s version control guys. The number scheme really clicks.

3.11, 95, 98, 2000, XP, Vista, 7.

What comes next, Afradapis?

29 Mad Al-Jaffee  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 11:59:29am

re: #25 MandyManners

They neutered Vista?

Yeah, and his name used to be “Visto.”

30 Kragar  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:01:31pm

re: #28 CommonCents

3.11, 95, 98, 2000, XP, Vista, 7.

What comes next, Afradapis?

You forgot ME

31 Pass The Moonbaticide  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:01:33pm

Charles ,

Do you have a link for UK Lizards which will also benefit LGF if we purchase Windows 7 ? All links so far supplied are for US users only.

32 Bagua  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:02:32pm

The blog direction has changed again.

No more Snow Leopard! Hooray!

Flounce away Apple partisans.

33 CommonCents  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:03:08pm

re: #30 Kragar (Proud to be Kafir)

You forgot ME

Oh yeah, sorry about that.

3.11, 95, 95, 2000, XP, Vista, Kragar, 7.

Better?
(yes, I know what you meant)

34 Kragar  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:03:16pm

re: #32 Bagua

The blog direction has changed again.

No more Snow Leopard! Hooray!

Flounce away Apple partisans.

WHY DOES CHARLES HATE APPLES?!?!

///

35 Kragar  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:03:40pm

re: #33 CommonCents

Oh yeah, sorry about that.

3.11, 95, 95, 2000, XP, Vista, Kragar, 7.

Better?
(yes, I know what you meant)

I keel you.

36 CommonCents  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:04:09pm

re: #35 Kragar (Proud to be Kafir)

I keel you.

Accchmed!

37 lawhawk  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:04:32pm

re: #26 wlewisiii

Hey, I remember toying with MS-DOS v. 1, various competitors, and even playing around with IBM’s OS/2, which got yanked despite a pretty stable platform.

38 HoosierHoops  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:05:06pm

The architecture is so much better designed.. No access to the Kernel past ring one is allowed by any apps. The stability is greatly enhanced from leaks of the memory heap or rogue poorly written code has been addressed. Mac operating systems locked down their kernel years ago.

39 lawhawk  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:05:35pm

re: #36 CommonCents

How do you spell that?

A… C… phlegm…

40 Bagua  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:06:01pm

re: #38 HoosierHoops

You tell em HoosierHoops!

41 CommonCents  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:07:07pm

re: #39 lawhawk

How do you spell that?

A… C… phlegm…

You know he has a regular show on Comedy Central now? I think it’s Thursday’s and started last night, but I’ll have to look for the rerun. I was busy watching hockey and forgot.

42 webevintage  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:07:12pm

It took John Cole over at Balloon Juice 12 hours to install and that was after ditching the upgrade and going for a clean copy.

I’m just gonna keep my XP, I have had no (know wood) problems with it in the last 4 years.
(except today with that damn hijacker, I can’t even figure how it got in)

43 Riptides  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:07:14pm

Considering that this is the first Windows OS to ever enjoy a lengthy open beta (running 10 months now) it’s surprisingly stable and solid out of the box.

Also considering that this is pretty much Vista reworked, aka service packed into a new OS, it doesn’t need a year to age or be service packed into a much more stable or secure entity.

If you’re still using XP, then i suggest to keep using XP, but if you are on Vista, drop that dog immediately and grab Win7, especially if you bought a computer recently that comes with the “free” upgrade.

44 AllanHateMe  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:08:45pm

Windows 7 is a rock solid OS. I’ve been running it since it went RC 1. And since I have an MSDN subscription, I’ve been running the RTM (final bits) since like August. That includes running it, via Bootcamp, on 4 different Macs. An iMac, 13” unibody MB, 15” unibody MBP and an older 15” MBP. Being a developer I also had the Dev releases of Snow Leopard. The Bootcamp drivers on Snow Leopard work just fine with Windows 7 in either 32-bit or 64-bit flavors. And BTW, Bootcamp is NOT an emulator, it allows you to boot natively into Windows (or Linux).

45 CommonCents  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:08:50pm

OT: Balloon Boy Halloween Costume

Git ‘em while their hot! (next year people won’t even know what you’re talking about)

46 lawhawk  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:10:14pm

re: #41 CommonCents

Yeah. I saw it last night. It’s definitely oddball. Some funny bits, but I think it falls short when Dunham isn’t directly on screen with his guys. That’s the interaction that gets the most laughs.

47 wiffersnapper  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:11:08pm

Yay Windows 7!

48 Bagua  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:12:02pm
49 CommonCents  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:13:31pm

re: #44 AllanHateMe

Bzzzt! Bzzzt! Click, click, buzz.

50 AllanHateMe  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:14:01pm

re: #28 CommonCents

What’s even funnier than that is that the version number of Windows 7 is 6.1.

Seriously though, Windows 7 is awesome.

51 Charles Johnson  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:16:11pm

re: #44 AllanHateMe

That’s not what Apple says.

[Link: support.apple.com…]

52 badger1970  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:16:24pm

re: #1 Kragar (Proud to be Kafir)

I’ll wait till the first service pack is released.

It’s the even number of service packs that are good.

I saw a cheap e-machine with Windows 7 preloaded and saw the specs. OMG! Is 6GB of ram and a 750GB hdd needed just to run the blasted OS? /

53 Gearhead  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:17:30pm

Got 2 copies on the way now. Took advantage of Amazon’s pre-release pricing ($50/ea) this summer.

Hopefully they won’t arrive till next wk. Got w-a-a-a-a-y too much to do this weekend.

54 Bagua  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:18:15pm

re: #52 badger1970

It’s the even number of service packs that are good.

Nope, runs on less than than XP needed.

55 Our Precious Bodily Fluids  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:18:19pm

re: #5 Rightwingconspirator

Oh man did I just age myself there or what?!

I hope DOS 4.0 was one of the ones you didn’t allow in; that thing sucked. I stuck happily with DOS 3.3 until 5.0 came out, and used that with DESQView until I got a machine powerful enough to run OS/2 2.0 (386DX/33, 4MB RAM)

I think Windows 7 is vastly improved over Vista, but all it had to be to seem that way was something better than a complete pig. I severely dislike the “HomeGroup” networking stuff. In general, I don’t care for wizards. That’s why I use Arch Linux. 4 out of 5 dentists agree.

56 sffilk  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:18:34pm

I’ll wait until my next computer upgrade, which will be sometime in 2012, by which time there’ll probably be a new Windows OS and I’ll get 7 at that time.

However, a technical question for the Apple geeks: were I to purchase my own components (motherboard, RAM, hard drive, etc.) and put them together myself, but instead of install Windows 7 I were to try to install Mac OS-whatever, would that work? Thank you.

57 CommonCents  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:18:45pm

re: #50 AllanHateMe

What’s even funnier than that is that the version number of Windows 7 is 6.1.

Seriously though, Windows 7 is awesome.

They can’t count, but at least they can add.

58 AllanHateMe  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:18:46pm

re: #51 Charles

That’s not what Apple says.

[Link: support.apple.com…]

They just don’t want people to realize that 7 is better than Snow Leopard ;-) Seriously though, they work fine. I can send a picture, my intern is sitting beside me right now on an iMac doing development in Visual Studio 2008 running Windows 7. Don’t ask me why.

59 KernelPanic  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:19:03pm

Love the idea of a Mac-flounce. Let me try one out …

What the hell is wrong with LGF these days? I guess it’s no longer possible for Charles to “think different” these days. Sigh… Don’t you people know that RMS IS A WINDOWS USER and that RON PAUL was the only person invited to participate in the SECRET SECOND BETA OF WINDOWS 7 !!!
Wake up SHEEPLE! What has happened to the LGF that my macbook pro knew and loved?

// obvs

60 CommonCents  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:19:33pm

re: #58 AllanHateMe

Tell Asok to keep working. Somebody has to get the projects done.

61 Liberal Classic  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:20:00pm

re: #51 Charles

It may be working for some people on recent Mac models with some tweakage, but 7 won’t be officially supported by Apple Bootcamp until later this year.

62 Gearhead  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:20:12pm

re: #52 badger1970

It’s the even number of service packs that are good.

No. I think it’s a 1 GB RAM minimum. 7 is supposed to have a lighter footprint. I have heard some tech journalists relate how it improved performance on older machines.

63 Our Precious Bodily Fluids  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:21:19pm

re: #30 Kragar (Proud to be Kafir)

You forgot ME

And NT. :D

64 AllanHateMe  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:21:28pm

re: #60 CommonCents

Tell Asok to keep working. Somebody has to get the projects done.

That’s what interns are for, right? If not for him I wouldn’t have time to surf the internet.

65 Jack Burton  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:21:50pm

re: #51 Charles

That’s not what Apple says.

[Link: support.apple.com…]

This might be one of those case where “doesn’t support” means “don’t call us if it doesn’t work because our tech support people aren’t trained for it yet.”

66 shutdown  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:22:52pm

Advice, please: I desperately need to take care of a few things, but I am waiting for a call which has been postponed twice and tentatively rescheduled for 20 minutes ago. Should I stay or should I go?

67 CommonCents  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:23:08pm

re: #64 AllanHateMe

I’m going to have walk down the hall and see if you are one of my coworkers. The boss is home with swine flu kids today.

68 Our Precious Bodily Fluids  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:23:59pm

re: #59 KernelPanic

Love the idea of a Mac-flounce. Let me try one out …

Sigh… Don’t you people know that RMS IS A WINDOWS USER

// obvs

Not this RMS! :)

/Kernel Panic indeed!

69 HoosierHoops  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:24:55pm

re: #51 Charles

That’s not what Apple says.

[Link: support.apple.com…]

I think support is forthcoming because Apple and Windows 7 both use EFI extensions for boot up… Shouldn’t take long to upgrade boot camp.

70 AllanHateMe  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:25:28pm

re: #67 CommonCents

That would be funny. But I doubt it, I don’t *think* I know anyone with kids having the swine flu. What industry do you work in?

71 Killgore Trout  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:25:45pm

Here comes the big money…
Steve Forbes Endorsing Doug Hoffman In NY-23

A source close to Doug Hoffman has just told me that Steve Forbes will be endorsing the Conservative Party candidate in the NY-23 special election — yet another right-wing voice who is rebelling against the Republican Party for nominating moderate candidate Dede Scozzafava.

This sure is a mess, and it’s looking more and more likely that Democratic candidate Bill Owens will win from the GOP split with the Tea Party purists, giving House Democrats a pick-up of a Republican-held seat.

The Palin/Bachmann endorsement is more high profile but I think Forbes is more important because he’s got some really deep pockets. There’s going to be a big money battle for control of the GOP.

72 kernelPanic  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:26:00pm

re: #68 negativ

Not this RMS! :)

/Kernel Panic indeed!

I even previewed and still made the typo, it’s funny that it works both ways (RSM vs RMS)…

73 TedStriker  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:26:48pm

re: #13 vxbush

Heh. Apple has a response to that:
Apple commercials about Windows 7

And Apple’s full of it…I’ve been running Win7 since the first public beta came out early this year and, for the most part, it’s rock solid and has more than a few useful features.

/running Win 7 Ultimate RTM now…

74 CommonCents  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:27:40pm

re: #70 AllanHateMe

I’m an application programmer for a bank.

75 CommonCents  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:28:43pm

re: #70 AllanHateMe

No, you’re not him. He’s surfing the news.

76 AllanHateMe  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:29:15pm

re: #74 CommonCents

I’m an application programmer for a bank.

I don’t work for bank. I do programming for a race team. Well mostly I manage an intern who does programming for a race team ;-)

77 CommonCents  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:29:58pm

re: #71 Killgore Trout

Here comes the big money…
Steve Forbes Endorsing Doug Hoffman In NY-23

I got an email yesterday from Fred Thompson in support or Hoffman too.

78 CommonCents  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:30:32pm

re: #76 AllanHateMe

Define race. Auto? Bike? Horse?

79 AllanHateMe  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:31:22pm

re: #78 CommonCents

Define race. Auto? Bike? Horse?

I wonder if they use computers in horse racing? Auto racing, NASCAR to be specific.

80 Killgore Trout  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:31:47pm

re: #77 CommonCents

I got an email yesterday from Fred Thompson in support or Hoffman too.

Interesting. The Fredheads kinda disappeared. There were almost as rabid as the Paulians and Palinites.

81 CommonCents  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:32:12pm

re: #79 AllanHateMe

Sweeet. You hiring?

82 Bagua  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:34:24pm

re: #62 Gearhead

I have installed Windows 7 on an older Sony Laptop with 1 gig, runs much better than XP did.

83 TedStriker  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:34:34pm

re: #28 CommonCents

3.11, 95, 98, 2000, XP, Vista, 7.

What comes next, Afradapis?

MS went from referring to Window releases by the build numbers at Win 95 (for consumer variants) and Win2000 (for NT releases) in favor of more consumer-friendly names and are sort of returning to the practice with Win7 (Windows 6.1; 6+1+7). Quoth the Wikipedia:

Product progression
MS-DOS

* MS-DOS 1.x through 6.22
* Windows 95 (MS-DOS 7.0)
* Windows 95 OEM Service Release 2.x and Windows 98 (MS-DOS 7.1)
* Windows Millennium Edition (MS-DOS 8.0)

Windows (MS-DOS Based)

* Windows 1.0
* Windows 2.0
* Windows/286 and Windows/386 (Windows 2.1)
* Windows 3.0
* Windows 3.1, Windows 3.1 for Workgroups, Windows 3.11, and Windows 3.11 for Workgroups (WfW)
* Windows 95 (Windows 4.0)
* Windows 98 (Windows 4.1)
* Windows Millennium Edition (Windows 4.9)

Windows NT

* Windows NT 3.1
* Windows NT 3.5
* Windows NT 3.51
* Windows NT 4.0 including up to Service Pack 6a
* Windows 2000 (Windows NT 5.0) including up to Service Pack 4
* Windows XP (Windows NT 5.1) including up to Service Pack 3
* Windows Server 2003 (Windows NT 5.2) including up to Service Pack 2
* Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (Windows NT 5.2) including up to Service Pack 2
* Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs (Windows NT 5.1) including up to Service Pack 3
* Windows Home Server (Windows NT 5.2)
* Windows Vista (Windows NT 6.0) including up to Service Pack 2
* Windows Server 2008 (Windows NT 6.0) including up to Service Pack 2
* Windows 7 (Windows NT 6.1)
* Windows Server 2008 R2 (Windows NT 6.1)

84 Killgore Trout  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:35:15pm

Linking Islam to terrorism doesn’t make you Geert Wilders

Of course we should allow him into the country, and he should be free to say whatever he wants. But must we fawn and lay down the red carpet for the bloke just to get at Jacqui Smith? It’s true: forty Muslims held a horrible protest outside parliament when he was over last week. But let’s keep the extremists’ rage in perspective – earlier this year, almost a million Brits voted for the BNP (and the two groups, I suspect, are not entirely disconnected).

The real problem with Geert Wilders and his ilk, is that their hyperbole detracts from real arguments to be made about Islam and terrorism. “Fitna“, despite what Lord Pearson says, is not “a very important document” – it’s a simplistic and repulsive piece of Islamophobic propaganda. But it serves multiculturalists as well as it does those on the far Right.

85 AllanHateMe  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:35:55pm

re: #81 CommonCents

Sweeet. You hiring?

I’ve always pushed to hire another (or two) full-time programmers. I am lucky I got my intern. My problem is, while there are a lot of good application ideas floating around, none are urgent enough (or value add enough) to get my boss to hire someone else. It’s too bad to, there are some apps I’d like to work on that would be fun and useful, that will never see the light of day.

86 Gearhead  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:37:39pm

re: #82 Bagua

Very cool. I wonder if anyone has tried it with 512MB. Might have to put Linux on the kids’ machine.

87 Kragar  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:38:46pm

re: #78 CommonCents

Define race. Auto? Bike? Horse?

He works for Rush.

/rimshot

88 Killgore Trout  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:39:16pm

Proof of fascism: Blasphemy!

89 TedStriker  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:40:03pm

re: #80 Killgore Trout

I like Fred and always thought he was a straight-shooter…living here in TN, he was one of my senators before he left and we got Lamar! in his place. But, he just came off like he didn’t have the fire to run for the GOP nom last year…if he’s going over to the whacko wingnut wing of the GOP now, I’ve lost a lot of respect for the man.

90 TedStriker  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:41:44pm

re: #83 talon_262

Geezus…PIMF! I meant:

MS went from referring to Window releases by the build numbers pre-Win 95 (for consumer variants) and pre-Win2000 (for NT releases) in favor of more consumer-friendly names and are sort of returning to the practice with Win7 (Windows 6.1; 6+1=7). Quoth the Wikipedia:

91 Killgore Trout  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:42:02pm

re: #89 talon_262

I always thought Fred was nutty. His endorsement of the debunked “Fair Tax” caused to to not take him seriously.

92 Bagua  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:44:09pm
“The launch of Windows 7 has superseded everyone’s expectations, storming ahead of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows as the biggest-grossing pre-order product of all-time, and demand is still going strong,” claimed managing director Brian McBride, Amazon UK on October 22.

Link

93 The Sanity Inspector  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:45:31pm

re: #72 kernelPanic

Heh.

94 Bagua  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:46:10pm

re: #86 Gearhead

If you can’t add a bit of RAM, just disable all the programs that run in the background to improve performance. Also, with 7 one can use a USB drive for ready boost to add more RAM.

95 KrustyKoot  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:46:17pm

My Dell E510 running XP Media died after more than 4 years of continuous use.

I went out and bought a HP Pavillion Slimline with Windows 7 Premium Home Edition yesterday. Installation was a breeze. My old Lexmark 3 in 1 and Photo Printer still work as does my Logitech wireless mouse and keyborad.

96 The Sanity Inspector  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:46:43pm

re: #80 Killgore Trout

Their candidate’s lack of enthusiasm for the race was contagious.

97 Bagua  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:47:02pm

re: #94 Bagua

Note that the Readyboost does not = onboard RAM, but it will help.

98 SeaMonkey  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:47:32pm

Parallels is brilliant software.

99 Gearhead  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:47:49pm

re: #94 Bagua

re: #94 Bagua

Forgot about ready boost. Even have an old thumb drive laying around somewhere.

100 Charles Johnson  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:48:35pm

re: #98 SeaMonkey

Parallels is brilliant software.

I have both Parallels and VMWare Fusion, and I have to say that I’ve found VMWare to be much more stable.

101 Gearhead  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:49:08pm

re: #99 Gearhead

dang chrome. acts like it’s drunk sometimes.

102 Bagua  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:50:18pm

re: #99 Gearhead

Also, adding a gig of RAM should be about $20 or less at Newegg.

103 Gearhead  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:52:39pm

re: #102 Bagua

Also, adding a gig of RAM should be about $20 or less at Newegg.

It’s an old laptop (Gateway - 2003). The RAM is already maxed on it. The two copies of 7 are going into other machines (this one and the wife’s) anyway.

104 XopXproxyX  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:00:12pm

Can’t believe everyone who waited out Vista have been validated. What a marketing blunder for Windows.
Well at least Windows 7 has a sensible, unpretentious name.

105 WaveriderCA  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:17:06pm

Ouch OEM version please. Saves me over 100$ on the ultimate so my wife’s parents can use it in chinese.

106 Pepper Fox  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:59:36pm

you can get home premium or professional for $30 if you have an .edu email address or a student ID and current invoice/schedule from your school. Unfortunately my school doesn’t issue an .edu account so I have to track down a scanner.

107 Randall Gross  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 2:04:36pm

I have Vista 64 and am running it without much headache, but I chalk that up to being somewhat of a geek. In other words I’ve tuned it, found where the problem areas are and eliminated them. So I’m in no rush to pickup W7, but next time I’m at the store and see it I will grab the home 3 PC warning.
One word of warning however, if you have Windows movie maker I understand that W7 doesn’t come with it. That means a lengthy (but I think free) download after install.

108 Randall Gross  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 2:05:26pm

/pimf “home 3 pc pack. Warning:”

109 LakerFan  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 2:27:01pm

I’ve been running the release version of Windows 7 for months now, and I love it. It’s what Vista should have been.

110 Cato the Elder  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 2:27:40pm

Windows?

Doze were duh daze.

111 J.S.  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 2:47:22pm

I think I’m going to wait to install Windows 7 (I’m wondering about compatibility issues — both hardware and software — I have 3 printers, and some are not had drivers written for Windows 7 yet — plus, is Photoshop CS4 compatible with Windows 7? What a chore, also to switch over — also my ISP provides a free virus/spyware/malware/security package which is not compatible with Windows 7…) (gonna wait…which is sort of the “norm” for “new things” here in Canada — still can’t get the Kindle, since there’s some dispute with the Telecom corporations…)

112 simoom  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 5:00:08pm

re: #107 Thanos

Yeah, a lot of things were unbundled and now are part of the Live Essentials free download (including the e-mail client :o). You can pick and chose which Live Essentials applications you want to install by toggling some check boxes.

Just guessing but maybe it’s to appease the EU antitrust folks? (The EU version also has a browser ballot at installation that has you pick from between all the major, and some minor, browsers)

The Interrupters - Get Down Moses (Joe Strummer Cover) Here we are covering "Get Down Moses" for the "A Song For Joe: Celebrating The Birthday Of Joe Strummer" Livestream event on Aug 21, 2020 benefiting #SAVEOURSTAGES You can watch the full show here: YouTube Aimee Interrupter: Lead Vocals ...
Tweets: 1 •
#Thegreatpoolpondconversion - 201025Relentless rain this week. A good bit of localized flooding including the field and around the yard.Most of it had dissipated by Saturday though there are still a few new temporary lakes over at the park. The papaya tree got ...
dangerman
Tweets: 0 •
#Thegreatpoolpondconversion - 201018It was a full weekend here at the pond. 8 yards of top soil were (was?) delivered Friday afternoon Saturday was prepping the butterfly bed:First, a good weed whacking, a bit of leveling, then laying down weed barrier.On top of ...
dangerman
1 week, 1 day ago
Tweets: 0 •
#Thegreatpoolpondconversion - 201011The weather held out just long enough that we could start painting the deck. It is tedious work and still quite tiring in the heat.Just one line in the notes says 'paint deck' but it's gonna translate into many, many ...
dangerman
2 weeks ago
Views: 1,203 • Comments: 1 • Rating: 9
Tweets: 0 •
For What It’s Worth - Buffalo Springfield (Cover by Del McCoury Band and Friends) Now Available Digitally:rainmaker.lnk.to See the new release from this jam session of "One Kind Favor" (See That My Grave Is Kept Clean) - Blind Lemon Jeffeson.YouTube A few months ago, a bunch of friends got together to play music ...
2 weeks, 1 day ago
Views: 1,758 • Comments: 0 • Rating: 1
Tweets: 1 •
Trevor Noah: A Primer on 21st Century “Militias” [VIDEO] A toxic mix of racism and paranoid conspiracy fantasies has propagated the worst among us to arm themselves to the teeth in anticipation for the slaughter of their fellow citizens. Militias have been a part of America since it ...
teleskiguy
2 weeks, 2 days ago
Views: 1,918 • Comments: 0 • Rating: 0
Tweets: 2 •
(49) Mandolin Orange - Unknown Legend (Neil Young Cover)Echo Mountain stream. July 24th, 2020.
2 weeks, 2 days ago
Views: 1,889 • Comments: 0 • Rating: 0
Tweets: 3 •
The Expanse - Season 5 Official Trailer The future of The Belt has begun as Marco Inaros wages Armageddon against the Inners for a lifetime of oppression and injustice. » Watch the new season of The Expanse now exclusively with your Prime Membership: bit.ly» SUBSCRIBE: bit.ly ...
2 weeks, 2 days ago
Views: 1,831 • Comments: 0 • Rating: 3
Tweets: 4 •
Cellist Plays to Mourn Cathedral Shelled in Armenia-Azerbaijan Conflict A historic cathedral has been shelled amid the Armenian-Azerbaijan conflict in the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh, or Artsakh, region, where hundreds have been killed and tens of thousands displaced after two weeks of new fighting. On the evening of Thursday 8 ...
garzooma
2 weeks, 2 days ago
Views: 1,689 • Comments: 1 • Rating: 1
Tweets: 1 •
Future Islands - Born in a War (Official Video) 'Born In A War' by Future Islands Wayne White - Director and Production DesignerWoodrow White - Editor, Co-Director, Co-Production Designer Future Islands’ new album 'As Long As You Are', out now on 4AD. Listen, stream and buy album here: ...
2 weeks, 2 days ago