Huckabee Leads in 2012 Poll

A new survey from Public Policy Polling shows that the most popular Republican so far, when compared with Barack Obama, is far right theocrat Mike Huckabee: 2012 Poll: Huckabee Performs�Best.

Rather than facing each other in this poll, the Public Policy Polling survey (Oct. 16-19, 766 RV, MoE /- 3.5%) pit each Republican up against Obama, and for the seventh consecutive time, Huckabee fared best.

Obama 47 - Huckabee 43 - Und 10

Obama 52 - Palin 40 - Und 8

Obama 50 - Pawlenty 30 - Und 20

Obama 48 - Romney 40 - Und 12

A reminder: Mike Huckabee is on record advocating that the US Constitution be changed to bring it more in line with “God’s standards.” By which he means the extreme fundamentalist Christian version of God, of course. Quote:

“I have opponents in this race who do not want to change the Constitution,” Huckabee told a Michigan audience on Monday. “But I believe it’s a lot easier to change the Constitution than it would be to change the word of the living god. And that’s what we need to do — to amend the Constitution so it’s in God’s standards rather than try to change God’s standards so it lines up with some contemporary view.”

1 Kragar  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:40:53pm

Huckabee will never get my vote.

2 Guanxi88  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:41:23pm

F*ck! This is what the party's looking at, already?

3 astronmr20  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:42:03pm

Like him for his policy on taxes.

Not much else.

4 astronmr20  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:42:18pm

How is Romney doing?

5 KernelPanic  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:42:21pm

GOP is doomed to fail at national level, best hope is that a crushing defeat provides enough political cover to dissociate from the theocrats and socons. Hope they enjoy their status as a perpetual minority and the occasional win in regional elections.

6 lawrior  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:42:22pm

The better question is will the Republicans find anyone that deserves my vote? At this point, I don't think I'll be voting for president in 2012.

/ugh

7 FightingBack  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:42:50pm

What do you expect? He's on TV!

8 suchislife  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:43:45pm

I think Sharmuta posted a link yesterday about Huckabee telling the salvation armee that Fema should be abolished and they should do the work instead, because 'bread tasts better with a hug', IIRC.

9 TedStriker  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:44:12pm

Huckabee and the GOP can kiss my ass...if he, Palin, and other socons are going to representative of the GOP's "best and brightest" for the near future, I don't want any part of it.

*spit*

10 Mad Prophet Ludwig  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:44:37pm

If Huck wins, we can look forward to seeing the constitution perverted. We can look forward to seeing the end of any science that doe not fit his standards of dogmatic purity actually informing policy. We can look forward to reversals of the rights of women, gays and minorities.

Worst of all, he will certainly reverse any efforts to address AGW in this country, and it will happen at a much more critical time as we push closer to tipping points.

The very short from is that if he wins, I am going to look into moving to New Zealand.

11 bosforus  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:44:41pm

Nooo! Not polls already! I've just barely recovered from the last election!

12 Killgore Trout  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:44:55pm

re: #3 astronmr20

Like him for his policy on taxes.

Not much else.

He's a complete loon...
Behind Huckabee's radical 'Fair Tax'

13 Killgore Trout  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:45:48pm

re: #10 LudwigVanQuixote

There's no chance he'd actually win no matter how bad Obama fucks up.

14 Mad Prophet Ludwig  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:46:22pm

re: #13 Killgore Trout

There's no chance he'd actually win no matter how bad Obama fucks up.

I pray you are correct.

15 lawhawk  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:46:31pm

A couple of observations:

A poll this far out is meaningless except to possibly rank various GOP contenders on where their strength is at the moment. The Tea Party/disaffected social conservatives are angry and motivated, so they'll poll their preferences better for the moment.

That Obama has a mere 4 pt lead over Huckabee tells you that Obama has real problems at this point, and a strong GOP candidate has a good chance of winning in 2012. I don't think Huckabee is that candidate.

All those figures are simply overwhelmed by the large numbers of undecideds - which throw the worth of the poll out of the window.

Polls like this make for fun blog posts, and little else.

16 Mad Prophet Ludwig  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:47:54pm

re: #13 Killgore Trout

There's no chance he'd actually win no matter how bad Obama fucks up.

The real problem with Huck is that he is a lot smarter than Palin and he knows how to present himself without looking obviously stupid to all but the most ignorant.

He is much more dangerous because of that. It does not mean his views are less whacky than Palin's, but it does mean that he can sell them better.

17 TedStriker  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:48:10pm

re: #10 LudwigVanQuixote

I wouldn't go that far, Ludwig...the more the GOP goes to the wingnut far right, the less likely they're going to continue to take any offices higher than the local dogcatcher.

If the GOP had a major fail last year with Palin on the ticket, they sure as hell aren't going to be better off with a full-on Bible-thumping theocrat whose views are well-known.

18 bosforus  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:48:30pm

re: #15 lawhawk

Early diagnosis is the key to staying healthy.

19 SeaMonkey  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:48:33pm

Will Chuck Norris be veep? Delta Force was awesome.

20 cliffster  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:48:46pm

re: #12 Killgore Trout

He's a complete loon...
Behind Huckabee's radical 'Fair Tax'

Are you sure you know what the word "loon" means? It would seem that you go by the definition: "disagrees with what one believes"

21 Surabaya Stew  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:48:46pm

Not surprised by this at all. Huckabee is a far-right shrill, but he comes wrapped in a folksy and friendly persona that even Sarah Palin can't match in appeal. Of course he'd get creamed in the general, which is why the Democrats are being very quiet about this polling...

22 FightingBack  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:49:09pm

No one believes he will do that. They didn't believe BHO when he spoke either.
There's something about being telegenic that mesmerizes the listener so that the visual effect masks the auditory input.
(I just made that up, but it works. Maybe they're watching with the Mute on?)

23 bosforus  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:50:26pm

re: #21 Surabaya Stew

Is your avatar a durian? Saw that fruit on a National Geographic youtube clip last night.

24 Liberal Classic  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:50:41pm

re: #10 LudwigVanQuixote

I honestly don't think it's time to start thinking about going ex-pat. Even if Huckabee does get the nomination, there's no way he'll win in the general election. For this to happen, Obama would have to be less popular than Bush. Since Obama's leadership style seems to be risk averse, I don't think he will have made himself that unpopular in the three remaining years of his first term. In short, if the GOP nominates a theocon, the election is Obama's to lose.

25 Kragar  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:50:55pm

re: #19 SeaMonkey

Will Chuck Norris be veep? Delta Force was awesome.

He'll be named Czar of Defense, because Chuck isn't a Secretary for anyone.

26 Mad Prophet Ludwig  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:51:04pm

re: #17 talon_262

Again, I hope you are right.

It will really all come down to the economy. If it stays stable and continues to improve, albeit slowly, then the GOP has no chance.

If things go awry and the GOP manages to pin it on the current Dems, rather than the total history of the incompetence of both parties (which includes 8 years of GOP policy helping to make the mess we are currently in), then the GOP has a shot on the national level.

27 shutdown  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:51:22pm

Maybe the good news will be that the Mayans were right about 2012

28 Kragar  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:51:46pm

re: #21 Surabaya Stew

They've learned one of the basic rules. When your opponent is about to make a mistake, you let him.

29 Ojoe  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:52:27pm

IMHO Huckabee is a closet theocrat.

And, the GOP is Toast.

Want me to post the Whig links?

30 SeaMonkey  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:52:35pm
31 AverageCdn  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:52:46pm

Thppt. It's a 2009 poll. With Beck in full swing the Republicans should be thankfull it's not a Chuck Norris/Ron Paul ticket right now.

My predictions for 2012: Romney/Bush(Jeb) v.s. the well oiled OPM (Obama Presidential Machine).

Keep in mind I'm Canadian. I could be wrong.

32 Mad Prophet Ludwig  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:52:47pm

re: #24 Liberal Classic

That I agree with.

If the economy improves then the GOP ends up becoming two parties.

The socons and the libertarians vs. the traditional GOP, which are ironically called RINOs these days.

33 Guanxi88  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:52:56pm

ON the subject of folksiness, and "authenticity," just in case the GOP should be listening:

WE DON'T WANT OR NEED IT!

Gives us good, strong, sober Eisenhower-types; steady, reliable techno-crats under the leadership of a sane person, one who knows that even as government is not the solution to all our problems, it's not the cause of them all, either.

Zombie-Nixon gets my vote, until they come up with someone electable.

34 Guanxi88  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:53:23pm

re: #29 Ojoe

IMHO Huckabee is a closet theocrat.

And, the GOP is Toast.

Want me to post the Whig links?

Why should this thread be any different?

35 Ojoe  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:55:00pm

re: #34 Guanxi88

OK ...
Whig Video.
Whig home page.

Back to work for me.

BBL

36 Jack Burton  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:56:00pm

If Huckabee was on fire I wouldn't p... well you get the point. I will not vote for Obama (based on my opinion of him at the moment which is subject to change) in 2012, but I will never vote for Huckabee or anyone who resembles him in policy and rhetoric. That includes Palin and Jindal. I'll write in someone if I have to.

37 lawrior  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:56:01pm

re: #29 Ojoe

IMHO Huckabee is a closet theocrat.

I don't think there is anything closeted about his theocratic leanings. The quote Charles included above pretty much sets him out as one.

And that is enough to remove him from the list of acceptable candidates for me. Not that his other beliefs were terribly appealing.

38 Liberal Classic  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:56:12pm

re: #32 LudwigVanQuixote

That I agree with.

If the economy improves then the GOP ends up becoming two parties.

I consider myself a libertarian, and I'd much rather vote for a rino than a socon.

39 Mad Prophet Ludwig  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:56:16pm

BTW, I would like to do away with the term SOCON.

The so called social conservatives of the new GOP are not anything so bland.

They are anti science, sexist, racist, and homophobic as well as prone to the most extreme superstitions and conspiracy lunacies. They want to take down large numbers of established pillars of the Republic, most notably the Establishment Clause and what it means in precedent.

I would posit that calling them something euphemistic like "socon" is a misnomer.

I propose we call them something more accurate like medievalist or jihadi.

40 Sharmuta  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:56:40pm

re: #39 LudwigVanQuixote

Theo-cons.

41 Killgore Trout  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:56:47pm

re: #20 cliffster

The Fair Tax has been thoroughly debunked. Anyone who sticks with idea despite reality qualify as loons. When you add in the fact that he wants a Biblical constitution and has cooked squirrels in a popcorn popper makes him a loon.

42 Surabaya Stew  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:56:47pm

re: #23 bosforus

You are correct. Durians are available here nowadays, but be sure to bring an strong blade to open it and friends to share...the taste is not for everybody!

43 lawrior  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:57:00pm

re: #39 LudwigVanQuixote

How about Luddite?

44 Gearhead  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:57:37pm

*knock, knock*
Rudy?

...

Anyone home?

Sigh

45 freetoken  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:57:56pm

re: #10 LudwigVanQuixote

Dude... that is so... so... 2004 of you!

All those people lamenting how they would have to move to Canada if GWB won the election... turns out almost no one did.

46 SixDegrees  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:58:08pm

This'll save the Democrats the trouble and expense of hiring advertising copy writers. They can use this verbatim in their ads and ensure themselves a win.

I think I'll start a Satanist party, just so I can show up at Huckster's rallies with a poster featuring a pentagram or an upside-down cross.

47 wrenchwench  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:58:27pm

This sounds vaguely familiar...

48 Ojoe  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:58:56pm

re: #39 LudwigVanQuixote

Not medievalist. 'Tis a disservice to some beautiful things to call Huckabeee that.

BBL, yes I said that before.

49 Kragar  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:59:12pm

re: #44 Gearhead

*knock, knock*
Rudy?

...

Anyone home?

Sigh

Rudy is slightly modifying his previous campaign strategy for 2012. He plans to begin campaigning in 2013.

50 Surabaya Stew  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:59:36pm

re: #28 Kragar (Proud to be Kafir)

And what a mistake Huckabee would be indeed! I predict that Romney will get the 2012 nomination though because he's the only sane Republican front-runner out there until Huntsman returns from China in 2016, and the GOP isn't that dumb...or is it?

51 Charles Johnson  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 12:59:47pm

re: #47 wrenchwench

This sounds vaguely familiar...

Three of the four candidates listed in this poll are extreme fundamentalist Christians with hardcore social agendas.

And then there's Mitt Romney, who will pander to almost anyone.

52 Gearhead  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:00:27pm

re: #49 Kragar (Proud to be Kafir)

Well, that's an improvement. He sure spent a lot of money on that one delegate last year.

53 bosforus  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:01:00pm

re: #42 Surabaya Stew

And the smell from what I hear. They also said while yes, they are available here, they cost like 50 bucks each. Is that true?

54 cliffster  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:01:14pm

re: #41 Killgore Trout

You were referring to the Fair Tax when you called him a loon. Whatever label you want to put on it, sales tax, fair tax, whatever.. it hasn't been "debunked". How can you even "debunk" what is largely a matter of opinion? I personally stay away from name-calling that takes away from discussion, and I think national discourse would be better off if more people did so.

55 kellygrrrl  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:02:51pm

Bwahahahaha! Ball's in your court, Mittens!

56 SixDegrees  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:03:19pm

re: #40 Sharmuta

Theo-cons.

To be blunt, there's nothing remotely Conservative about the "socons." Every fiber of their being strains against the small, non-intrusive government that sits at the core of Conservative principles. We're talking about people who want to establish a national religion, outlaw the "wrong" kinds of sex between consenting adults, force religious-based medical standards on everyone, regardless of the beliefs of the individual, and basically use the power of the state to intrude on all aspects of citizen's private lives.

If you're casting about for a term, "theocrats" would be the formal, accepted label to stick on this group.

"Flaming assholes" would be the more common one.

57 Liberally Conservative  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:03:34pm

re: #38 Liberal Classic

Your account name and picture is disturbingly similar to mine.

58 wrenchwench  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:03:38pm

I have never voted for a Democrat for president. I voted for a Republican twice. I think I could vote for a Democrat, even Obama, just to make sure a Huckabee did not win.

59 Liberal Classic  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:04:17pm

re: #57 Liberally Conservative

Your account name and picture is disturbingly similar to mine.

I guess we're sock puppets.

60 Jack Burton  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:05:43pm

re: #41 Killgore Trout

Debunked implies that it has been shown to be completely unworkable. I don't believe such a demonstration of such has been made. Showing that it is not 'revenue neutral' ≠ 'thoroughly debunked', it just means claims of revenue neutrality are false. Simply because an idea is supported by some kooks, does not automatically make it entirely kooky. This is not the gold standard or isolationism we are talking about here.

61 Spare O'Lake  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:05:58pm

But wait a minute...I wonder what this survey says about President Obama's popularity.
The fact that a fundamentalist far-right person like Huckabee is polling within spitting distance of the Dem incumbent at this time is arguably a devastating indictment of Obama.

62 Killgore Trout  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:06:12pm

re: #54 cliffster

How can you even "debunk" what is largely a matter of opinion?

It's not a matter of opinion. You can crunch the numbers...
Unspinning the FairTax
It has been looked at and studied. It's not taken any more seriously than Ron Paul's wish to return to the Gold Standard. It's quackery.

63 Killgore Trout  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:06:46pm

re: #60 ArchangelMichael

Debunked implies that it has been shown to be completely unworkable.

See #62. It's nonsense.

64 Surabaya Stew  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:06:48pm

re: #53 bosforus

You are correct on the smell; hotels and eateries in the region (SE Asia) regularly post "No Durians Allowed" signs to ward off the stench from their establishments. (The only thing worse smelling than a fresh durian is a rotting one...OMFG!)

As for the cost, 50 dollars is highly inflated; 5 to 10 dollars is more like it in Chinatown. Of course, out in the heartland of America, it may well be unavailable at any price due to lack of local demand and shipping costs.

65 Honorary Yooper  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:07:31pm

re: #43 lawrior

How about Luddite?

Luddite is too vague for these folks. There are more than a few on the left who also qualify as well as some general kooks who aren't aligned with either right or left.

Sharmuta's right, Theocon works best.

66 astronmr20  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:08:10pm

re: #12 Killgore Trout

He's a complete loon...
Behind Huckabee's radical 'Fair Tax'

Just read it.. EVERYTHING in that article and much more is addressed in this book:

[Link: www.amazon.com...]

We've had this conversation before.

..But believe CNN Money if you wish.

67 Killgore Trout  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:10:33pm

re: #66 astronmr20

We've had this conversation before.

Yes we have and I just don't have the patience to debate the merits of Ron Paul's economic platform. I'll drop it.

68 KingKenrod  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:11:24pm

So people know what he was talking about - there are two things Huckabee wants to put in the Constitution: making abortion illegal and defining marriage as between one man and one woman.

69 Spare O'Lake  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:12:40pm

It's really quite simple.
Huckabee has his own religious TV show, and he was on stage last week with Lynyrd Skinner playing bass for a rendition of Sweet Home Alabama.
So of COURSE he's polling well for POTUS.
BWAHAHAHAHAHA

70 drcordell  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:12:58pm

What a 2012 primary this is shaping up to be. Getcha popcorn-cooker squirrels ready!

71 Land Shark  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:13:17pm

I think it's way, way too early to look at 2012 Presidential polls. Too much can happen between now and then. I think the 2010 mid terms will provide some hints as to what may happen in 2012, though.

Didn't someone say a year is like an eternity in US politics? And the next Presidential election is still just over three years away.

72 astronmr20  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:13:18pm

re: #67 Killgore Trout

Ron Paul did not originate this idea. At all. Not to mention the architects of the Fair Tax, and in particular, the authors of the Fair Tax book- disagree with Paul.

Forget about Ron Paul for a moment and educate yourself about the proposal.

Ron Paul probably brushes his teeth in the morning, but doesn't mean it's a bad idea. Get it?

73 WINDUPBIRD DISEASE [S.K.U.M.M.]  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:13:21pm

re: #54 cliffster

How about this: Huckabee isn't a loon, but some of his ideas (like the fairtax) are either laughable or terrifying, depending on my mood.

What's weird is, of all the R candidates running against Obama in 2008, I rather liked Huckabee, because he seemed to acknowledge class issues, coming from little money himself. Then the Club for Growth people dismantled him, and that was that. But if he's serious about all this goofy flat-tax stuff and his theocracy rumblings, yikes!

(Though I suspect the change-the-constitution noises are hollow, will never happen, and is just about manipulating the religious right.)

74 Political Atheist  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:13:32pm

re: #29 Ojoe

Post whatever they have to say about Oathkeepers.

75 Gearhead  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:14:04pm

re: #70 drcordell

Hey. He was just turning a uni-tasker into a multi-tasker.

76 drcordell  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:14:52pm

re: #73 WindUpBird

Huckabee was semi-rational once upon a time, before he got dismantled in 2008. Now he has edged hard right and dialed up the theocrat rhetoric all the way to 11 because he knows it's his only way to win.

77 The Sanity Inspector  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:15:09pm

re: #41 Killgore Trout

I remember when he was campaigning in my old home state of South Carolina. He said he could relate to the people, because he'd eaten deep-fried squirrel. Presumptious git, I thought. We southerners are more health conscious nowadays, and much prefer baked squirrel.

78 Mad Prophet Ludwig  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:15:54pm

OK, I am all behind Theocon...

It fits and it certainly tells a more accurate picture than socon.

79 The Sanity Inspector  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:16:21pm

re: #50 Surabaya Stew

Didn't Romney founder in the primaries b/c the conservative base rejected him? And this was even with Hugh Hewitt campaigning for him on his show.

80 Political Atheist  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:16:37pm

re: #77 The Sanity Inspector

He can relate with people that eat squirrel. Oh Boy. Hows he gonna do with the croissant crowd? Rhetorical of course.

81 WINDUPBIRD DISEASE [S.K.U.M.M.]  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:17:03pm

re: #76 drcordell

Obama would have to completely implode to lose against Huckabee. Not gonna happen no matter how he tacks to the far right. He'll get the nomination and then he'll be flipped like a pancake.

82 Spare O'Lake  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:17:47pm

re: #69 Spare O'Lake

It's really quite simple.
So of COURSE he's polling well for POTUS.
BWAHAHAHAHAHA

Skynyrd?

83 WINDUPBIRD DISEASE [S.K.U.M.M.]  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:18:12pm

re: #79 The Sanity Inspector

All the king's horses and all the king's men can't get the religious far right to accept an LDS candidate. They just won't do it.

84 cliffster  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:18:46pm

re: #73 WindUpBird

Thank you. The kneejerk calling people loon, or whatever name you want to use, is a very big problem. It is a means of propagandizing rather than discussing facts.

85 Liberal Classic  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:18:50pm

re: #73 WindUpBird

The fair-tax was the national retail sales tax. The flat-tax is a single-rate income tax, or (like the Armey plan) a highly simplified graduated tax with a few rates and no loopholes.

86 jordash1212  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:19:14pm

It's too early to obsess and worry over this poll. It's not even 2010 yet.

87 Liberal Classic  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:19:38pm

re: #69 Spare O'Lake

It's really quite simple.
So of COURSE he's polling well for POTUS.
BWAHAHAHAHAHA

"FREEBIRD!"

88 Jack Burton  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:20:13pm

re: #83 WindUpBird

But they have no problem watching an LDS pundit rant and cry on Fox every day. I'm just waiting for them to try this anti-mormon bullshit again in 2012 after being Beck-bots for 4 years. The cognitive dissonance will cause a singularity.

89 drcordell  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:20:15pm

re: #81 WindUpBird

Yeah I definitely agree. He's dialing it up to 11 to win the primary, still think he's got no shot in the general.

90 Sol Berdinowitz  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:20:27pm

Gimme three steps, mister...

91 Mad Prophet Ludwig  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:20:56pm

re: #45 freetoken

Dude... that is so... so... 2004 of you!

We simply do not have until 2016 to start taking this seriously.

Even if we started doing everything we should do today it will take at least a decade of hard work. But we know that efforts at first will be half assed like the present ones. Realistically, we are looking at starting seriously and making the required changes in 20 years. That may be enough time. I hope it is. I think it is.

In other words, I don't think we'll cross a tipping point by 2012,
but once we start talking 2036, I get frightened. We really seriously can not have four years where the GOP scuttles efforts.

92 freetoken  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:21:04pm

re: #79 The Sanity Inspector

With McCain in the race Romney found himself stuck in no-mans land... Romney was not enough of a "true" conservative for the so-cons, and likewise didn't wear the aggressive foreign policy approach well enough for the neo-cons, unlike McCain who could do the latter well.

93 drcordell  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:21:21pm

re: #88 ArchangelMichael

I actually have wondered about this myself. I think that many of these maroons just don't even know that Beck is a Mormon.

94 freetoken  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:22:36pm

re: #91 LudwigVanQuixote

In other words, I don't think we'll cross a tipping point by 2012,
but once we start talking 2036, I get frightened.

If you are worried about 2036 then I suspect you are younger than many of us here, who run a good chance of not being alive by 2036.

95 WINDUPBIRD DISEASE [S.K.U.M.M.]  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:22:47pm

re: #84 cliffster

I do think there are loons, but I don't think Huckabee's one. I'll save that word for the James Traficants, Steve Kings, and Sally Kerns of the country.

96 Mad Prophet Ludwig  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:22:51pm

Also I say NZ over Canada because it is less likely to get invaded for its resources.

97 WINDUPBIRD DISEASE [S.K.U.M.M.]  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:23:40pm

re: #94 freetoken

I'll be 60! And probably acting just as silly as I do now. :D

98 Gearhead  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:23:41pm

re: #93 drcordell

(Sheepishly) Just learned something. Where's the "Maroon" hat?

99 Mad Prophet Ludwig  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:24:09pm

re: #94 freetoken

Well I am. I figure I'll be around for it I hope. But more to the point, my kids will be.

I simply can not understand or abide the thinking that says, I'll be gone then so fuck the kids.

100 MPH  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:24:29pm

It is possible that come 2012 Obama is suffering from Bush-like approval ratings -- and he'd still beat Huckabee straight up. What is likely then is a 3rd party run (perhaps a Bloomberg) to capture the disaffected voters.

101 SFGoth  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:24:47pm

Krauthammer! Krauthammer! Krauthammer!
(insert opening riff to "The Hellion" and in a Hummerchair, out strolls the next President of the United States...)

102 humpty dumpty was pushed  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:24:59pm

re: #15 lawhawk

Good points. This poll says more about how dismally poor the current administration is doing, if a train wreck like Huck can be more than a blip on the radar. He would be a terrible candidate and he`s competitive with the President.

103 The Sanity Inspector  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:25:32pm

re: #80 Rightwingconspirator

There might be some common ground there.

104 WINDUPBIRD DISEASE [S.K.U.M.M.]  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:25:46pm

re: #96 LudwigVanQuixote

The only reason I want to live in NZ is so I can get a hold of one of these:Holden HSV wagon

105 WINDUPBIRD DISEASE [S.K.U.M.M.]  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:27:07pm

re: #100 MPH

Possible but extremely unlikely. He would have to piss off a looot of Democrats to get down into the 30's. And while Democrats, being a disorganized and fussy bunch, always want him to do more, they won't turn on him en masse barring some massive revelation.

106 drcordell  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:27:32pm

re: #101 SFGoth

Krauthammer! Krauthammer! Krauthammer!

I wouldn't trust Charles Krauthammer to tell me if it was raining outside or not. Or for that matter a single member of the beltway punditocracy. It's the only career in the world where you are never held responsible for any of your past views or predictions, no matter how horribly wrong they are.

107 Surabaya Stew  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:27:39pm

re: #79 The Sanity Inspector

A valid point indeed. However, in 2012 there will be no more old war dogs like Dole or McCain running, and if there's a bright new hope from the GOP like Bush Jr. was in 2000, I haven't heard of them. Frankly, Romney may be a pandering phony, but he's the only one from the GOP bench that I would trust to run anything!

108 Spare O'Lake  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:28:04pm

re: #15 lawhawk

Nailed it.

109 WINDUPBIRD DISEASE [S.K.U.M.M.]  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:28:43pm

re: #101 SFGoth

Props for namechecking the first track from Screaming for Vengeance :D

110 The Sanity Inspector  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:28:52pm

re: #91 LudwigVanQuixote

NO, seriously, I am looking at the projections, if we do cross a tipping point, and a GOP win in 2012 will delay real action for at least another four years which increases that risk dramatically, New Zealand is a really good place to go.[...]

And you wouldn't be alone:

Recently the President of Kiribati pleaded with Australia and New Zealand to open their doors to any Kiribati citizens who become climate change refugees.

111 Sol Berdinowitz  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:29:05pm

Romney seems okay if you can get past him being LDS.

But then again, the Mormons also seem to have their own views on the relationship between church and state, that's what brought them to utah in the first place...

112 Green Machine  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:29:34pm

The Dems and Obama promised change. They have added folks to the payroll who have failed to pay their taxes, and some so far to the left, they have fallen off the table. They have failed to drain the swamp. There has been no transparency, as we cannot read any of the bills prior to being voted as he had previously promised. He has done nothing for gay rights and he is now voting present on Afghanistan. The only change I have seen is the trillion dollars they have added to national debt.

If he is not able to turn the unemployment around, the GOP could run my dog and win in 2012. He needs to get back toward the center and make a valid attempt of establishing bi-partisan politics.

113 drcordell  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:30:09pm

re: #108 Spare O'Lake

Nailed it.

Key word strong GOP candidate. Prey tell, who exactly would that be?

114 Jack Burton  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:30:32pm

re: #63 Killgore Trout

See #62. It's nonsense.

Don't get me wrong. I don't support it, at least not in the form they are suggesting. I don't think national sales taxes as a concept have been debunked like they were Intelligent Design or UFOs. That specific plan would "work" as is, but badly. My main beef was with your definition of debunk.

115 Spare O'Lake  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:30:43pm

re: #96 LudwigVanQuixote

Promises, promises...invade already, will ya?

116 Land Shark  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:31:02pm

I wouldn't even want to try my hand at predicting who's gonna be running against Obama in 2012. Back in mid 2007 I predicted with bold, 100% certainty that John McCain would never, ever win the GOP nomination. How did that brilliant (-NOT) prediction turn out? So much for me having a career in political punditry, eh?

117 freetoken  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:31:09pm

re: #114 ArchangelMichael

I have more confidence in the UFOs...

118 Wozza Matter?  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:31:12pm

re: #10 LudwigVanQuixote

If Huck wins, we can look forward to seeing the constitution perverted.

i think thats about the only thing his Associates would allow to be perverted... (shudder)

119 The Sanity Inspector  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:31:18pm

re: #113 drcordell

Key word strong GOP candidate. Prey tell, who exactly would that be?

The stable may be empty, in this current era.

120 Sol Berdinowitz  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:31:31pm

re: #115 Spare O'Lake

Promises, promises...invade already, will ya?

They will invade Moria for its reserves of mithril...

121 Soundboard Fez  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:31:39pm

re: #111 ralphieboy

Romney seems okay if you can get past him being LDS.

Governor Romney would have made my first choice for president last year, but he couldn't resist the urge to reinvent himself for the socons in the primary. :(

122 _RememberTonyC  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:31:53pm

Memo to the GOP:

I'm a right of center voter ... registered as a Democrat but dying to find a legitimate Republican I can vote for.

If you nominate huckabee, paul, or palin, I give you my solemn promise that I will vote for Obama.

So you can choose:

1. Pander to your base with a far right candidate who will never win a general election ...

(or)

2. Nominate someone who can actually appeal to normal folks on both sides of the aisle.

Your call ...

123 bosforus  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:32:14pm

re: #111 ralphieboy

Romney seems okay if you can get past him being LDS.

Uhhh... that and violence against them.

124 Sol Berdinowitz  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:33:53pm

re: #123 bosforus

Uhhh... that and violence against them.

Well, at least their views on polygamy would appeal to Moslem voters...
///

125 WINDUPBIRD DISEASE [S.K.U.M.M.]  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:34:05pm

re: #112 Green Machine

He's done nothing for gay rights? Whatever you're smoking, give me a drag off it before you throw it away.

Hate crimes bill goes to Obama for signature

I elected a president, not a magician. Guy's only been in office since January, and people want him to see the future, grant wishes, levitate, and win LeMans.

126 Surabaya Stew  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:35:17pm

re: #45 freetoken

Dude... that is so... so... 2004 of you!

How about this bunch of former New Yorkers that did just that? It's amusing to read them justify their move by increasingly desperate measures and half-baked excuses. Aside from them and Iraqi war "resistors", I know of nobody else who's done that.

127 bosforus  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:36:04pm

re: #124 ralphieboy

Well, at least their views on polygamy would appeal to Moslem voters...
///

(I know you the sarc tags but...)
You're thinking of FLDS. If there are any Muslims that find the LDS religion attractive bc of polygamy that would make them about 150 years old bc that's about how long it's been removed from LDS doctrine.

128 Gearhead  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:37:11pm

re: #119 The Sanity Inspector

The stable may be empty, in this current era.

Who (among the more moderate GOP) is out there in the wings that might not be considered a strong candidate yet, but might have some potential? Any names?

129 Spare O'Lake  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:37:12pm

re: #113 drcordell

Key word strong GOP candidate. Prey tell, who exactly would that be?

All in good time, my pretty, all in good time...it's still a sekrit.

130 Sol Berdinowitz  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:38:42pm

re: #127 bosforus

(I know you the sarc tags but...)

They only removed it because they had to in order to escape further persecution...

131 bosforus  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:42:10pm

re: #130 ralphieboy

Something like that...

132 Green Machine  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:42:23pm

re: #125 WindUpBird

Sorry, I'm looking for a lot more than that...

133 pdc_lgf  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:44:11pm

re: #129 Spare O'Lake

What do such polls validate, ten months into a new presidency? That's a question, not a statement. I don't remember how things went with such polls, four years ago, eight years ago, etc.

134 SFGoth  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:45:44pm

re: #109 WindUpBird

Props for namechecking the first track from Screaming for Vengeance :D

Awww, shucks, thanks! But I didn't have to namecheck it because Hellion/Electric Eye is, IMO, the best opening song(s) of any band, and my favorite is Blue Oyster Cult.

(How anyone could not know, from all that cowskin and metal, that Rob Halford was/is gay is beyond me.)

135 Spare O'Lake  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:46:53pm

re: #133 pdc_lgf

It's more than nuthin' and less than sumthin'.

136 bosforus  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:47:53pm

I'll put it this way. If persecution was enough of a reason then most of the LDS doctrine wouldn't exist.

137 drcordell  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:49:42pm

OT: Re-mix of BNP fascist Nick Griffin's appearance on BBC the other night. Pretty hilarious.

138 Ojoe  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:53:14pm

re: #61 Spare O'Lake

I think the survey says that there are few rational people left in the GOP.

139 theheat  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:53:20pm

re: #39 LudwigVanQuixote

Yes, socon pales to describe the direction the far right is running. It's a fluffy bunny term for something much more malevolent. At this point, the only way to marginalize them is to vote against them i.e. starve them of oxygen. Hopefully, they'll succumb to lack of life support and do the political equivalent of FOAD.

It would be a cold day in hell when I check the box next to Huckabilly or Palin's name in an election. I may not think Obama is all that, but he's neither of them, either. Hitler's resurrected ghost would have to be running against Huckabilly for me to even consider voting for him, or the rest of those far right fundie freaks.

140 Bagua  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:54:27pm

re: #137 drcordell

LOL

141 Ojoe  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:54:49pm

re: #74 Rightwingconspirator

I will see if they say anything yet about the O.K's.

142 Pepper Fox  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:56:57pm

Are there any sensible republicans at all anymore? If there are you don't hear much about them.

143 Bob Levin  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:57:48pm

#62 Kilgore

I read that analysis, I think there are a few things wrong with it. But there isn't any need to get lost in the details--the principle behind the Fair Tax is to increase economic activity, thus generate more revenue for the government and give consumers more economic freedom. It assumes that the present tax system under the authority of the IRS slows economic activity and decreases individual purchasing power. So, this is one idea on how to create more economic activity. Now, you can say that the Fair Tax doesn't do this. The question would still stand, what will do that? Does the present Tax System increase or decrease economic activity? Does it have any impact on the rate of unemployment, does it encourage entrepreneurship? And so on. This is what a conservative debate should focus on, not whether to amend the constitution to bring it closer to Biblical law.

144 Ojoe  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:58:28pm

re: #74 Rightwingconspirator

Can't find anything directly about the O.K's on the whig site, but this probably would exclude them, it is a position about regulating firearms rationally:

Second Amendment

We support the Second Amendment right to bear arms. Our general viewpoint is that states can regulate firearms to whatever their local values dictate, but these regulations must be reasonable and can't be too costly or otherwise prohibitive to a point where it would violate the constitutional right.

145 filetandrelease  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:58:34pm

...

146 freetoken  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 1:59:35pm

re: #145 filetandrelease

well, that was terse...

147 soundboard fez  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 2:01:48pm

re: #142 Pepper Fox

There are plenty but in the current climate they have to keep a low profile, lest they get shouted down by angry nuts (a la Lindsay Graham) or forced to go on Limbaugh's show to beg for forgiveness.

I quite like my congressman (Tom Price) and Senator Isakson. Saxby Chambliss never did much for me, but there's far worse out there.

148 filetandrelease  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 2:02:12pm

Hehe, yep a bit thin.

149 pdc_lgf  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 2:02:26pm

re: #135 Spare O'Lake

The percentage of adult Americans who believe man was created, all at once within the last ten thousand years, is about 40% I believe. I googled it just now, and I think that's what I saw.

If somebody has accurate numbers on that, and related such issues, please advise.

My guess is that there's a mindset which goes along with such beliefs - and that mindset is Huckabee-friendly.

150 jvic  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 2:02:53pm

A failed President followed by a possibly worse President, with an even worse one in the wings waiting for his or her chance. This guy's invocation of technology as savior is way too facile IMO, but I go along with this much:

We experience a gradual, or even rapid, decline over that period, orchestrated and carried out by a political class composed of two parties each of which ceaselessly insists it is fighting against such a collapse, while doing little or nothing to help us...

I hope the American people retain a reservoir of good sense that will succeed in asserting itself.

Obviously there is no clear favorite at this point, but fwiw Huckabee is a clear fourth for the 2012 nomination at Intrade. (And Obama is a clear but not overwhelming favorite to be reelected.)

151 SixDegrees  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 2:04:50pm

re: #71 Land Shark

Huckabee is already actively campaigning, focusing his efforts on roping in the religious right extremists. For him, the campaign has been going on for at least the last several months.

Somewhere, I'm certain, he's already stockpiling crates of yellow armbands for those of us who aren't sufficiently up to his "Christian" standards to wear.

For our own good, of course.

152 webevintage  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 2:06:45pm

re: #125 WindUpBird

Hate crimes bill goes to Obama for signature

I gave Bush 2 years, even after the whole SC debacle, I figured he's the President and I'll support him. I was not happy, but whatever, I thought the Republicans have been screaming to just give them a chance to be in charge...
Iraq is when I stopped giving Bush the benefit of a doubt.
I voted for Obama and am willing to be patient.

Is it the job of the White House to get the text of a bill online before it is voted on or is that the job of Congress.

I save my scorn for the Dems in Congress...I'm looking at you Miz Blanche and Mike Ross...
And y'all Huckabee is the real deal. He is smooth and chatty and, well he's a SB Preacher and he has the ability of all good Preachers to talk really well. He is also very thin skinned, loves him the good life, has ethical issues and a couple of creepy kids.

153 Right Brain  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 2:08:00pm

It was because of Huckabee, Clinton, Romney, Richardson, et al that I gave money to both Obama and McCain during the primaries. I didn't much care which of those two won, just so the others didn't.

Two very sobering polls today, one by Rasmussen showing Republicans are again trusted more than Democrats on the ten key issues.

[Link: www.rasmussenreports.com...]

And the other from Europe with a story that Obama's approval numbers have fallen faster than any first year America President in 50 years. (I think they mean Kennedy).

[Link: www.telegraph.co.uk...]

Who would have thought nine months ago that anyone would even be interested in 2012?

154 WINDUPBIRD DISEASE [S.K.U.M.M.]  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 2:09:20pm

re: #132 Green Machine

Well, you're probably not going to get it immediately. Political wishes versus political reality.

155 Randall Gross  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 2:10:05pm

A lot of water will go under the bridge twixt now and 2012, right now we should focus on 2010.

156 pdc_lgf  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 2:14:04pm

re: #155 Thanos

It seems to me that, re presidential elections, the nod generally goes to someone who hits the big time about a year before the election. But my recollections on such items are pretty spotty.

Right now I'm having a tough enough time figuring out what's up with the 2010 Senate race in my state.

157 filetandrelease  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 2:14:37pm

re: #155 Thanos

Heck with that, I am following NY23 special election! Hoffman took in way over 100k just today. Palin just might surprise a few folks around here.

158 Decatur Deb  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 2:33:24pm

re: #39 LudwigVanQuixote

BTW, I would like to do away with the term SOCON.

(snip)

I propose we call them something more accurate like medievalist or jihadi.

SOCLOWN

159 abbyadams  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 2:35:00pm

re: #106 drcordell

I have to upding you for that. Pundits and weathermen can always be wrong and keep their jobs...

160 Sol Berdinowitz  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 2:38:56pm

Don't need a pundit to tell which way the wind blows...

161 zora  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 2:39:37pm

I believe sister Sarah will run as a third party candidate in 2012. She will "Perot" the republican candidate.

162 bj  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 2:43:28pm

Oh G-d help us, not the Huckster. Wasn't Slick Willie from this state enough? Oy! Elect a Razorback ...

163 ibmkeyboard  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 2:57:21pm

Huckster vs Obama
lol

Huckster- 43%

Obama- 48%

Sarah Palin- 9%

2012-
Ladies and Gentlemen I would like to introduce you to the new and renewed president of the United States-

Barrack Hussein Obama.

164 Right Brain  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 4:18:59pm

re: #163 ibmkeyboard

Huckster vs Obama
lol

2012-

Barrack Hussein Obama.

Obama's greatest accomplishment to date is to become the fastest lame duck in American history. His polls indicate that he could not get elected today if he ran again, and after a mere nine months. The point is not that Huckabee is planning to run, the point is that dozens will run against someone who seemed unbeatable a few months ago but now appears to be an empty suit.

[Link: www.telegraph.co.uk...]

165 hokiepride  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 4:24:16pm

Huckabee is a nightmare, far right in social policy combined with leftist economic policy, the worst possible combination. IMHO, the winning combination would be a "right-wing liberal", right or center-right in economics and defense combined with leftist social policies. Jeb Bush would have been good but unfortunately with his last name, he will lose worse than Walter Mondale.

166 Wozza Matter?  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 4:46:32pm

re: #122 _RememberTonyC

The GOP need a Howard Dean figure to RUN the party. Dean managed to herd the Democratic cats and find pro-gun and pro-life candidates to win in the south. He found candidates for volunteers to organise around - rebuilding long lost structure in some important areas where they came through.

The GOP needs some pro-life, pro guncontrol candidates to be strong armed into running in purple areas and the the party needs to BACK them.

Jim Webb, Heath Schuler and others are not typical democrats - but they are very helpful and give the local parties a shot in the arm that can be carried through to the nationals.

167 watching you tiny alien kittens are  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 4:50:19pm

Huckabee wants to get rid of all inheritance, investment return, income, and other forms of payroll taxes and replace them with a 30% national sales tax on all goods and services. Then he has the balls to call this "Fair Tax" policy, how very Orwellian of him. So those that have to spend every (or almost every) single penny they earn for rent/mortgage, food, and clothing will pay 30% on all of it, while those socking away millions in investments and bank accounts will pay not one cent in taxes on any of that money.

Uhh...sure, sounds perfectly "fair" to me...

///don't even have to mention the theocracy B.S. to know he is a loon.

168 Wozza Matter?  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 5:00:23pm

re: #167 ausador

if i could ding you up more than once i would.

it's falling apart in the Eastern European areas it was tried.

It's a tax that hits the poor worst - and is one of the idas that the GOP has had which would mean working americans would be voting against their own interests again. it's utter insanity.

169 flywheel  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 5:16:10pm

Cheney 2012.

170 Wozza Matter?  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 5:28:14pm

re: #169 flywheel

sorry. immediate downding coming your way without a sarc tag in short order... ;-)

171 flywheel  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 6:15:00pm

re: #170 wozzablog

I know...FREEDOM!!!

172 Eclectic Infidel  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 6:46:47pm

Loosely translated: The GOP has already lost.

173 Timmeh  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 7:00:18pm

What a quote by Huckabee. I can only assume (hope) that most of the 43% in favor of Huckabee just aren't aware of it.

IIRC Huckabee also pardoned a convicted rapist who had a jail-house conversion to Christianity and managed to get an Evangelical preacher to lobby for his pardon. It also involved some wacky conspiracy theory about Bill Clinton. Anyway, this creep then went on to rape and murder another victim.

The episode suggests a religious bias. Somehow I can't imagine that the same person could have been granted clemency if becoming "born again" hadn't been part of his road to "rehabilitation."

Still, this isn't nearly as bad as Texas governor Rick Perry trying to cover up the wrongful execution of a probably innocent man. That's a whole different level of malevolence.

174 watching you tiny alien kittens are  Fri, Oct 23, 2009 9:04:47pm

My Idea for a Huckabe 2012 Campaign Commercial Trail Script:

Opening shot: A well kept small ranch style house with generic cheap cars in the driveway and a low white picket fence around the front yard. Similar houses flank it to each side.

Tighten shot to show only the center house and sidewalk in front.

Enter From Scene Right: Six men in black full body armor, helmets, balaclavas, and goggles. Large white crosses are prominent on the front and back of the mens bulletproof vests. The men leap the fence running towards the house's front door. One uses a battering ram to burst open the door and the men rush into the house covering each other with automatic rifles in a standard military/swat entry format.

Screaming Female Voice Offstage Left: "Paul run! Get away, their here!"

Enter From Scene Right: A man runs from a doorway on the right side of the entry hall and is immediately tackled to the ground by two of the intruders. He is handcuffed and then roughly jerked to his feet by the men, we see his clothes are threadbare and dirty and that he has an unkempt beard and greasy stringy shoulder length hair.

Paul Yelling As He Is Dragged Back Out Through The Front Door: "Please don't do this, you can't do this, this is America, let me go, let me go!"

Enter Scene Center: From the end of the entry hall a little blond haired girl of about seven years old runs towards the front door.

Blonde Girl Screaming: "DADDY, DADDY, DAAADDYYY!"

Transition Scene Part 1: Front door slams shut just as the little girl almost reaches it.

Transition Scene Part 2 : Over sized steel cell door (with exaggerated sound effect) clangs shut.

New Scene: A Grey painted prison cell approx. 4'x8' with a bare steel bunk frame attached to one wall, a pail sits in the corner, there is no toilet or sink. Paul is seated upright on the center of the bunk frame, his hands clasped before him.

New Scene: A judge/minister in blue protestant robes with white piping sits in an ornate throne like chair atop a raised podium, the rest of the room is shrouded in darkness except for a hugh crucifix with hanging Jesus figure that is spotlighted behind him, Paul is walked into the scene by two black cloaked guards and forced to his knees before the judge.

Judge Sternly Pronounces: "You have been found guilty by this court of heresy, sedition, and calumny against the one true church and holy government of this country because of your postings to the internet. I sentence you to death for your crimes, may God and our Saviour Jesus the Christ have mercy upon your soul, heretic. Have you any last requests?"

Paul: "I only ask that I might wear my vestments to my execution your honor."

New Scene: An overhead shot of an exterior earthen courtyard surrounded by a high stone wall, three stout wooden posts are planted in the earth about five feet apart and a few feet away from one of the courtyard walls. Paul is walked into the scene surrounded by four black garbed guards, prominent on each guards chest and back is a large white cross.

New Scene: A ground level shot of the same courtyard as Paul is secured to the center post, Paul is wearing the vestments of a Lutheran priest. Paul inclines his head upward looking at the sky.

Paul Speaks Quietly: "Father forgive them, for they know not what they do."

Camera pans up to the blue sky overhead as rifle shots are heard echoing in the courtyard.

Voice Over During Huckabee For President Closing Graphic Screen "Vote for Huckabee for President in 2012, Huckabee, putting the FEAR of God back into America!"

175 [deleted]  Sat, Oct 24, 2009 5:10:33am
176 Yashmak  Mon, Oct 26, 2009 7:28:25am

re: #174 ausador

That's beautiful, man.

Silversun Pickups - Don’t Know Yet (Official Video) New album Widow's Weeds out now!Stream/grab a copy of Widow's Weeds: smarturl.it Silversun Pickups on tour now: silversunpickups.com Check out Brian's interview with Billboard here: billboard.com Director: Alan Del Rio OrtizExecutive Producer: Doug KlingerProducer: Kaytee RaeProduction Company: ReprobatesDirector of ...
The Pretty Reckless - Champagne SupernovaThe Pretty Reckless perform their cover of Oasis' Champagne Supernova in the Radio 1 Live Lounge for Fearne Cotton
The Expanse Season 4 - Official Trailer Discover what lies beyond the Ring Gate as the Rocinante lands on Ilus to find tensions at a full boil. Full season coming December 13, 2019 on Amazon Prime Video. » The Expanse returns 12/13. Watch the current season ...
Winter Solstice, Camelot Station, by John M. FordIn another lifetime, before I knew of LGF, I knew, via the net, Mike Ford. The ultimate author of many delights, he died much too young. Recently it was announced that his works would finally be republished slate.com and there ...
William Lewis
2 days ago
Jersey City Gunman ‘Targeted’ Kosher Grocery Store in Attack: Mayor Mayor Steven Fulop tweeted Tuesday night that authorities came to that conclusion based on their ongoing investigation into the shootout that left three civilians, a detective, and the two suspects dead. “Based on our initial investigation (which is ongoing) ...
Trump Pays $2 Million to Resolve Case Over His Fraudulent Foundation As a presidential candidate in 2016, Donald Trump took great pride in boasting to the public that he doesn’t settle lawsuits. “I don’t settle cases,” the Republican bragged during a primary debate in March 2016. “I don’t do it ...
#Thegreatpoolpondconversion - 191208We’ve mostly stopped counting; shovelfuls, cartloads, wheelbarrow runs, even bags. We do know we just laid 50 bags. It was the last bundle of bags in the original 500 bag order. That was our estimate - 500 bags.We actually 'only' ...
Dangerman (misuser of the sarc tag)
Orville Peck - Nothing Fades Like the Light [OFFICIAL VIDEO] "Nothing Fades Like The Light" by Orville Peck off Pony LP (Release Date: March 22, 2019 Sub Pop / Royal Mountain) TOUR DATES: orvillepeck.comSPOTIFY: open.spotify.com...PONY LP: smarturl.it WEBSITE: orvillepeck.comFACEBOOK: facebook.comINSTAGRAM: instagram.comTWITTER: @orvillepeck #OrvillePeck #NothingFadesLikeTheLight #Country #Pony #HBOsWatchmen VIDEO CREDITS ...
IG Report on Russia Probe: No Evidence of Bias, but Issues With Surveillance : NPR Updated at 5:22 p.m. ET The Justice Department's internal watchdog determined the FBI had sufficient evidence to open the Russia investigation — but sharply criticized the bureau over its surveillance of a former adviser to the Trump campaign. In ...
GHOSTBUSTERS: AFTERLIFE - Official Trailer (HD) Everything happens for a reason. Watch the new trailer for #Ghostbusters: Afterlife in theaters next summer. Visit Site:ghostbusters.com Follow Us On Social:facebook.comtwitter.cominstagram.com Subscribe to Sony Pictures for exclusive content: bit.ly From director Jason Reitman and producer Ivan Reitman, comes ...