Video: Pastor Broden’s Benediction

Video • Views: 2,000

Pastor Stephen Broden from Dallas Texas gives the benediction at Michele Bachmann’s
“house call” protest against the health care reform bill, and immediately launches a political diatribe about “death panels!” and “death care!” and tyranny and socialism and anti-Christ abortion and violation of all the laws of God and nature. Really. It’s one hell of a benediction.

Youtube Video

1 bosforus  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:40:10am

Don’t people normally close their eyes and bow their heads for prayers? Well, I do at least, unless I’m trying to catch people with their eyes open.

2 Sharmuta  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:42:14am

Healthcare is the anti-Christ. Great message, GOP!

3 Ben Hur  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:42:31am

Any chance of a transsscript?

4 wrenchwench  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:42:48am

End of life counseling is against Nature’s God?

5 Sharmuta  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:43:37am

Kill this Bill for Jesus!

6 lawhawk  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:44:31am

And while all this was going on… the House passed HR3548, which extends unemployment insurance benefits, and continues the homeowner tax credit of up to $8000 for first time homeowners through 4/1/2010 and creates a new $6500 credit for existing homeowners who want to purchase a different home as a primary residence.

7 Political Atheist  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:44:32am

I am really offended at turning a prayer into a angry speech. Leave God out of my politics and vice versa.

I’m just fuming.

8 Guanxi88  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:44:52am

William S. Burroughs, on benedictions:

“We would meet in the basement. There would be a short prayer and a shorter benediction. And we would turn out all the lights and in total darkness hit each other with chairs.”

9 Sharmuta  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:45:02am

Why would Jesus want us to love our neighbor anyways? Kill this Bill!

10 Political Atheist  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:45:58am

re: #1 bosforus

Hey CSPAN better hire a few Atheist camera guys!

11 Baier  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:46:09am

re: #7 Rightwingconspirator

I’m just fuming.

Amen!

12 Mostly sane, most of the time.  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:46:28am

re: #1 bosforus

The last time I closed both eyes during family prayer I got the back of a four-year-old’s head in my face. I’ll close both eyes when the boys are gone, or at least old enough not to hit each other during the prayer.

13 lawhawk  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:46:50am

re: #5 Sharmuta

Five point palm-exploding heart technique? Pai Mei taught you? /Bill

14 Nanook37  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:47:04am

Wow - rarely has so much BS been put forth in such a short period of time in a prayer… but it is great if you are playing Glenn Beck/Michelle Bachmann buzz word bingo…

Death Panal
Death care
Rationing
Tyranny
Socialism…

Bingo!

15 lawhawk  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:47:35am

re: #14 Nanook37

It’s the Bachmann Beck Limbaugh Overdrive, don’t you know…

16 Ojoe  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:47:45am

This is from Thomas Merton, the guy in my avatar:

It seems to me that the basic problem is not political, it is apolitical and human. One of the most important things to do is to keep cutting deliberately through political lines and barriers and emphasizing the fact that there is another dimension, a genuine reality, totally opposed to the fictions of politics; the human dimension which politics pretend to arrogate entirely to themselves. This is the necessary first step along the long way toward the perhaps impossible task of purifying, humanizing and somehow illuminating politics themselves. Is this possible? Art least we must try to hope that, otherwise all is over. But politics as they now stand are hopeless.

17 Pepper Fox  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:48:02am

Didn’t Jesus say NOT to pray in public?

18 Sharmuta  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:48:09am

re: #15 lawhawk

It’s the Bachmann Beck Limbaugh Overdrive, don’t you know…

Bachmannia running wild.

19 Nanook37  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:48:50am

re: #7 Rightwingconspirator

I’m just fuming.

I wish I had 50 comments to upding… but I agree completely - didn’t sound like any prayer I have every heard or would want to hear at my church

20 bosforus  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:48:58am

re: #9 Sharmuta

Yeah, but I don’t think He taught much in the way of being forced to.

21 Charles Johnson  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:49:11am

Idea: how about a retweet button for LGF comments?

22 DaddyG  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:49:46am

Pray to commune with God. Save the preaching for the sermon.

This is an ugly political trend.

23 Nanook37  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:50:35am

re: #15 lawhawk

It’s the Bachmann Beck Limbaugh Overdrive, don’t you know…

Well you know you ain’t seen nothing yet… but they are just Taking Care of (crazy) Business…

24 tradewind  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:50:40am

re: #6 lawhawk

There’s a credit for existing homeowners in the works?

25 Ojoe  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:50:45am

Let me hear prayers for compassion and inclusiveness and cooperation among all people, whatever their station.

26 Honorary Yooper  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:51:08am

re: #21 Charles

Idea: how about a retweet button for LGF comments?

Only if it doesn’t overload Ajax.

27 jaunte  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:51:09am

re: #17 Pepper Fox

Didn’t Jesus say NOT to pray in public?

Matthew 6:6-7

6 But you, when you pray, ago into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and by our Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.

7 “And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition as the Gentiles do, for they suppose that they will be heard for their many words.

28 Guanxi88  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:51:16am

re: #22 DaddyG

Pray to commune with God. Save the preaching for the sermon.

This is an ugly political trend.

Don’t let recusancy see you posted that. He sees nothing political in it at all, and will certainly accuse you of things to the point of boredom.

29 Randall Gross  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:51:21am

re: #21 Charles

Might become abused, but it couldn’t hurt

30 lawhawk  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:51:24am

re: #24 tradewind

Not just in the works, but ready to be signed by President Obama.

31 Ojoe  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:51:37am

re: #17 Pepper Fox

More or less.

32 Charles Johnson  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:51:37am

Broden’s been on the Beck show several times.

33 DaddyG  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:51:39am

re: #17 Pepper Fox

Didn’t Jesus say NOT to pray in public?

No. He said that those who pray for the express purpose of appearing pious to others are hypocritical. (Paraphrase)

34 Mad Al-Jaffee  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:52:21am

re: #3 Ben Hur

Any chance of a transsscript?

Teh Ceiling Cat of us, whu haz cheezeburger, yu be spechul
Yu ordered cheezburgerz,
Wut yu want, yu gets, srsly.
In ceiling and on teh flor.
Giv us dis day our dalee cheezburger.
And furgiv us for makin yu a cookie, but eateding it.
And we furgiv kittehs who be steelin our bukkits.
An do not let us leed into teh showa, but deliver us from teh wawter.
Ceiling Cat pwns all. He pwns teh ceiling and teh floor and walls too.
Forevur and evuhr. Amen.

35 DaddyG  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:52:22am

re: #21 Charles

Idea: how about a retweet button for LGF comments?

I don’t know how to tweet, now you are telling me there are retweets?

I am sooo 20th century.

36 Sharmuta  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:52:26am

re: #29 Thanos

Might become abused, but it couldn’t hurt

The stalkers will certainly abuse it.

37 Ojoe  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:52:36am

God already knows what you are going to ask anyway.

38 Dynomite  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:52:48am

Made it to 43 seconds before I had to turn it off. That beats all my Glenn Beck records.

39 Locker  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:53:01am

Healzcare is da debol! Who are we to interfere with godz planz? How dare YOU sinnerz take asprin when god wants you to have a headache. INFIDELZ!

40 bosforus  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:53:13am

Not sure many people here tweet enough to want to retweet comments. Just my opinion.

41 Bubblehead II  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:53:19am

re: #21 Charles

Idea: how about a retweet button for LGF comments?

Ummm, No. Reason, neither you or Stinky are awake 24/7/365 and there have been times that some real stink bombs have gotten posted in the DTs and hung around a bit until they were deleted. Do you really think it would be a good idea to have the poster or a sock be able to put such a comment on Twitter in order to smear you and LGF?

Just my opinion.

42 DaddyG  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:53:21am

re: #28 Guanxi88

I can see his point. Whitey has it comin’ /

43 Pepper Fox  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:53:21am

Ah that’s it. Thanks. I’m tempted to go back to Christianity just so I can have hope that Jesus will come back and kick people’s asses like Bachmann’s and anti-gay rights promoters.

44 Nanook37  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:53:32am

re: #17 Pepper Fox

Didn’t Jesus say NOT to pray in public?

And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. (Matthew 6:5)

45 lawhawk  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:53:43am

re: #21 Charles

That is a double edged sword - some genuinely excellent comments would get an even wider audience, but that would also allow deletable comments to be tweeted too (those that violate your TOS/house rules) particularly if one of the monitors isn’t quick enough to find ‘em.

Seeing how your detractors are looking to find stuff to knock you based on the comments, this might give someone a nasty option of spreading noxious stuff before you can delete ‘em.

46 DaddyG  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:54:23am

re: #43 Pepper Fox

You can pray for Christians even if you aren’t one. ;-)

47 Walter L. Newton  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:54:25am

Oh my goodness. That is the most foul thing I have ever heard from the mouth of a preacher. Where did this guy learn to give a benediction from… Reverend Wright?

48 Dynomite  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:55:33am

re: #19 Nanook37

Try coming to my synagogue. The Rabbi at my synagogue can’t resist trotting out the latest right-wing kookspiracy on a regular basis. He even has his own favorite 75-year old liberal in the second row he likes to bait.

49 Mad Al-Jaffee  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:55:54am

re: #35 DaddyG

I don’t know how to tweet, now you are telling me there are retweets?

I am sooo 20th century.

Retweet is something the Fwench army is good at.

50 DaddyG  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:56:08am

I don’t condone this kind of “prayer”. The suit over public prayers by students in Texas was strangely enough lodged by a Mormon girl who was tired of being told she was going to hell during said prayers.

As I said above- save the preaching for the sermon.

51 Nanook37  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:56:15am

re: #32 Charles

Broden’s been on the Beck show several times.

Why am I not surprised…

52 Pepper Fox  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:56:21am

re: #46 DaddyG

I’ll just let them destroy their own party/religion (I can’t tell a difference between them) with their hate.

53 DaddyG  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:56:28am

re: #49 Mad Al-Jaffee

Retweet is something the Fwench army is good at.

You win the thread. I cannot outpun that.

54 cliffster  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:56:59am

re: #49 Mad Al-Jaffee

Retweet is something the Fwench army is good at.

I see what you did.

55 Randall Gross  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:57:22am

In reality any comment could be cut and pasted to twitter already, so I see the concern, however…

56 DaddyG  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:57:33am

re: #52 Pepper Fox

There are some very Christian unbelievers and some very unChristian believers. The common issue with all people is… well… people.

57 wrenchwench  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:58:14am

re: #21 Charles

Idea: how about a retweet button for LGF comments?

Here’s an article about Retweeting that I was just reading. Right now I feel like it’s equivalent to throwing a slip of paper into the ocean. Without a bottle.

58 Ojoe  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:59:11am
59 tradewind  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:59:39am

re: #21 Charles
Great in theory, in practice I see trouble. Even with protected updates, you still have to fend off the requests from crazies and bots and stalkers ( oh my!) and this would exponentially increase that problem.

60 ExCamelJockey  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 11:59:40am

82 million taxpayers (99.3% of the tax base)
$1.2 trillion dollar cost of the health bill
$14,634 per taxpayer

We don’t need any buzzwords to show how incredibly stupid this bill is …

61 Pepper Fox  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:00:07pm

re: #56 DaddyG

Yeah major religion is really no different from any other large organization. You’re gonna get all the hypocrisy and corruption that goes with it. There are a good Christians, but they get drowned out by the loud crazies. That’s part of the reason I detached myself from religion. I didn’t want to be affiliated with that sort of crap.

62 bosforus  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:00:15pm

re: #58 Ojoe

Great photo. Hadn’t seen that before.

63 DaddyG  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:00:29pm

re: #59 tradewind

Charles has lots of free time. /

64 karmic_inquisitor  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:00:38pm

Retweet on comments - if it drives more traffic, yes.

65 watching you tiny alien kittens are  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:01:09pm

It looked like several of the people behind him were having a hard time keeping a straight face when he said the “deathcare” bit. Funny that the people organizing this know that it is bullshit, yet there they are.

66 Ojoe  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:01:13pm

re: #62 bosforus

He’s a saint. Up there with Lincoln.

67 DaddyG  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:01:24pm

re: #61 Pepper Fox

I’m a work on it from the inside kinda guy. Churchy and a bureaucrat. Go figure?

68 fish  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:01:31pm

re: #21 Charles

The biggest problem I see to that is the 140 character limit of twitter. Other than that not a bad idea.

69 Nanook37  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:01:40pm

re: #17 Pepper Fox

Didn’t Jesus say NOT to pray in public?

Or the Matthew 6 LOL cat translation

Happy Cat tawt about prayz

5 so u be all leik MCHammertime and pray jus 2 make it 2day and stuff.6 Ceiling Cat is watching you prostrate but u donut no he is tho.7 ur pray shood not be made of fail.8 Ceiling Cat knows what u donut hate.

70 oldegeezr  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:02:01pm

Where’s the live feed from FOX News on Ms Bachmann’s Rally Today …?

I rushed back from my day job to catch a glimpse, if only fleeting, of my… “just a little coo coo” favorite heroine…!

71 Pepper Fox  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:02:50pm

re: #67 DaddyG

I’m just a generally pessimistic person lol politics, corporations, religions, they’re all greedy bastards out for themselves.

72 Pepper Fox  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:03:12pm

re: #69 Nanook37

Ow. Reading that hurt my brain.

73 DaddyG  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:03:37pm

re: #65 ausador

Sex and violence sell. One side claims we’ll all die if we don’t and the other claims we’ll all die if we do. The anti-idolitarians sit here and comment on how we’ll all die from everyone saying we’ll all die.

It’s all good. /

74 DaddyG  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:04:21pm

re: #71 Pepper Fox

But I’m different… you can trust me. Really. :-p

75 karmic_inquisitor  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:04:31pm

You know - you can reasonably oppose something and then some moron with a big mouth and a small mind “speaks up for everyone” and makes you almost regret opposing it.

76 recusancy  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:04:33pm

re: #28 Guanxi88

Of course it’s political. It’s just not radical.

77 Summer Seale  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:05:06pm

“…we believe that abortion is in this health care, and abortion is anti-Christ!”

Okay, what about us non-Christians…? =)

78 Pepper Fox  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:06:23pm

re: #74 DaddyG

Well I meant those with power, and I believe you. But there are some crazy fundies on this board, I honestly don’t know how they survive. Maybe Charles just lets them stay around for the comment topics. Quite amusing though.

79 DaddyG  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:06:50pm

re: #75 karmic_inquisitor

You my friend have described the zeitgeist beautifully. Let’s hope the opposition to the Health Care Bill doesn’t kill the opposition to the Health Care Bill.

80 bosforus  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:06:59pm

re: #75 karmic_inquisitor

By Jove, I think you’ve got it!

81 Walter L. Newton  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:08:04pm

re: #77 Summer

Okay, what about us non-Christians…? =)

Do you mean the non-Christians that are against abortion?

82 Guanxi88  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:08:13pm

re: #76 recusancy

Of course it’s political. It’s just not radical.

What would constitute radical, then? If suggesting that, of all the races to be brought to the attention of the Almighty, white should “embrace right,” indicating that this has not yet happened, and, indeed, requires Divine intervention to effect it, is not a radical statement on the state or race relations in a nation that just elected a black president, then nothing would be.

83 DaddyG  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:08:50pm

re: #76 recusancy

Of course it’s political. It’s just not radical.

True playing the race card in politics is quite mainstream.

84 Summer Seale  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:09:45pm

re: #81 Walter L. Newton

Do you mean the non-Christians that are against abortion?

Either, really. I’m non-Christian and for abortion, but that’s me. =)

85 sardonic  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:10:21pm

Joseph Lowery was asked to give the benediction, but for some odd reason he declined. Then they were going to ask Rev. Wright, but thought better of it at the last minute.

86 Pepper Fox  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:10:55pm

Pastors will test Matthew Shepard Act by “inciting hate crimes”

[Link: www.progressivepuppy.com…]

87 subsailor68  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:11:44pm

re: #78 Pepper Fox

I honestly don’t know who you might mean by “crazy fundies” here. Perhaps it’s just when I’m here to read and post, but I truly haven’t seen much of that as far as I can recall. Maybe I’ve just missed them?

88 theheat  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:12:02pm

re: #77 Summer

Face it, the assholes that will listen to bullshit like this don’t give a flying f*ck about us non-believers. In fact, I think they turn up the bullshit just to feel more assertive, and be that much more obnoxious.

Did Bachmann Sharpie her eyebrows again today, BTW?

89 bosforus  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:12:24pm

re: #86 Pepper Fox

Pastors will test Matthew Shepard Act by “inciting hate crimes”

[Link: www.progressivepuppy.com…]

Oh my word, that is nuts!

90 Pepper Fox  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:13:25pm

re: #87 subsailor68

Occasionally there are topics on the front page for hateful comments, I forget what he exactly they are labeled, but it’s mostly rebroadcasts of what the teabaggers are saying. Gay bashing, Obama = nazi/socialist/marxist/communist/baby-eater

91 recusancy  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:13:43pm

re: #83 DaddyG

He’s not playing the race card. You’re playing the Limbaugh/Sharpton race card. Claiming victim-hood in any perceived slight. He was making a humorous statement talking about all races getting ahead. What should he have said when he got to white? They’re already ahead. So he could have left ‘white’ out - and you therefore would be complaining about that or he could have left it in and said what he said.

92 karmic_inquisitor  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:14:49pm

By the way - I don’t oppose health insurance reform. But I do oppose this bill. If it goes through I have two businesses that I will have to close and about 60 people will be without jobs. They are break even businesses (restaurants that we took over to keep from closing) and we have cut to the bone to keep them open. Between this bill and George Miller wanting to have all employers pay any worker who calls in sick an hourly wage for having missed work (while still paying the person called in to replace the sick worker) both businesses become unsustainable, even with a recovery.

Not asking for sympathy - they were marginal businesses in the first place and businesses go out of business all the time. But these measures add yet another set of immovable costs to the labor intensive service sector that many businesses simply won’t be able to overcome.

Would I like it if everyone had health coverage? Yes. But, in the scheme of things, it is more important that everyone (including unskilled, marginal workers) have access to employment. Many small businesses will be put over the edge with having to fund health care / pay penalties on top of having had to cope with minimum wage going up as a recession hit.

And just so no one thinks I am being a catastrophist, I know that this thing may pass but that the Senate will be a different battle, so passage on Saturday is not the end of the world.

93 Mad Al-Jaffee  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:15:44pm

After the lolcat bible got started, the lolkoran was inevitable:

[Link: www.godlesscolumbia.org…]

94 DaddyG  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:16:26pm

re: #91 recusancy

I’m consistent here. I don’t like the sermon being mixed with the prayer. I don’t condone either of these “prayers” where the preacher decided lecturing the people at the event was more important than imploring God for forgiveness and blessings.

Now here’s a good prayer.

95 Pepper Fox  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:16:40pm

re: #93 Mad Al-Jaffee

After the lolcat bible got started, the lolkoran was inevitable:

[Link: www.godlesscolumbia.org…]

Brace for extremist RAAAGE

96 Ben Hur  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:17:02pm

re: #93 Mad Al-Jaffee

After the lolcat bible got started, the lolkoran was inevitable:

[Link: www.godlesscolumbia.org…]

Now you know where “Kill Da Juice” originated.

97 subsailor68  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:17:27pm

re: #90 Pepper Fox

I guess I haven’t seen those, but I generally look at the main topics (like this one) and go directly to them.

98 Guanxi88  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:18:12pm

re: #91 recusancy

He’s not playing the race card.

Then which card is he playing?

You’re playing the Limbaugh/Sharpton race card.

You’re playing the pointless reductio ad beckam card.

indeed, what could be more humorous than suggesting that the other named races need to take their place as equals, and whites need to embrace what is right? Very funny.

Howzabout he could have taken the opportunity not to utter the nonsense in question?

99 Cineaste  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:18:34pm

Wasn’t Jesus really into the whole help those less fortunate than you and take care of your fellow man thing? Definitely public health care is against those principles…

I’m not saying that this is a good bill (it’s not) but decrying an effort to provide better health care to all Americans as anti-Christian sounds pretty pathetic and off-base.

100 MandyManners  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:18:34pm

re: #93 Mad Al-Jaffee

After the lolcat bible got started, the lolkoran was inevitable:

[Link: www.godlesscolumbia.org…]

I wonder if it’ll be pulled.

101 SteveC  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:18:45pm

7 dead 12 injured in Ft. Hood shooting. No real details yet, just been broadcast

102 Pepper Fox  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:19:14pm

re: #99 Cineaste

Jesus’ teachings =/= modern church. Apparently.

103 MandyManners  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:19:36pm

re: #101 SteveC

Link?

104 Pepper Fox  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:19:57pm

re: #101 SteveC

Shit, I’ve got news 8 Austin on, nothing on for that yet.

105 bosforus  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:20:21pm

re: #103 MandyManners

Link?

[Link: news.google.com…]

106 DaddyG  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:20:27pm

re: #95 Pepper Fox

Brace for extremist RAAAGE

Or a nasty hairball.

107 recusancy  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:20:33pm

re: #94 DaddyG

I agree with you. I wish no religious figures were allowed to pray at these public events. Obama went to like 10 prayer breakfast/meeting/dinner/brunches that day. Get religion out of government.

But that’s not the case and preachers come and get religious all the damned time at these events and what Dr Lowery said is no radical. That’s my point.

108 MandyManners  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:20:36pm

re: #101 SteveC

Wasn’t there one this summer?

109 cliffster  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:20:40pm

At Least 7 Reportedly Dead, 12 Others Hurt in Shooting at Army Base in Fort Hood, Texas

110 karmic_inquisitor  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:20:42pm

re: #101 SteveC

FORT HOOD (November 5, 2009)-Army officials have confirmed a violent incident has happened Thursday afternoon on post.

The reports indicate there may be at least twelve and maybe even as many as fifteen victims involved in this incident.

Details have not been released but it is known that ambulances and police are converging on a location in the center of the sprawling military post.

Ambulances from several agencies have been dispatched.

One unconfirmed report indicates an armed gunman has fired several shots and may have hit several people.

Ft. Hood officials report the area is not secure.

[Link: www.kwtx.com…]

111 Ben Hur  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:20:48pm

Update at 3:17 p.m. ET: MSNBC says the shooters were in military uniforms.

112 Lorenska  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:21:06pm

re: #92 karmic_inquisitor

I concur completely…would I love everyone to have access to excellent healthcare? Of course. Do I think this bill does it? Not even close. Not only does it not cover all the uninsured, it raises taxes on businesses such as yours, forcing higher unemployment, it dictates what health insurers must cover, thus increasing everyone’s premiums, and above all, it gives the government even more control over yet another sector of our society (not to mention the trillions in cost that we do not have). How to best ensure more can afford healthcare? How bout lower costs, more competition in the marketplace, tort reform, and cutting bureaucratic waste wherever it exists? I know, it sounds silly, I guess I’m one of the wingnuts.

113 SteveC  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:21:12pm

re: #103 MandyManners

Link?

Looking for one, Mandy. It’s on FOX News, haven’t checked other networks

114 Mad Al-Jaffee  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:21:26pm

re: #95 Pepper Fox

Brace for extremist RAAAGE

I can haz fatwah?

115 Ben Hur  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:21:38pm

Update at 3:20 p.m. ET: MSNBC adds that one gunman is in custody and one is on the loose.

Fill in the blank rule. Everyone wants to be first.

116 Pepper Fox  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:21:43pm

The local news here is saying one suspect is in custody and the 2nd is cornered in a building by a swat team and the suspect has a “high-powered sniper rifle” building 42006

117 SteveC  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:22:06pm

re: #111 Ben Hur

Update at 3:17 p.m. ET: MSNBC says the shooters were in military uniforms.

SHIT!!!

118 lawhawk  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:22:10pm

Breaking: Seven dead; 12 injured in shooting incident at Fort Hood.

At least seven people are dead and 12 wounded in a shooting at Fort Hood in Texas, the base’s public affairs office told NBC News on Thursday.

The official would not give his name nor additional details. It was unknown whether victims are soldiers or civilians. One gunman was reportedly in custody and another was on the loose, NBC News said.

The base was reportedly on lockdown. Two nearby school districts were also being locked down.

119 Bubblehead II  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:22:10pm
120 oldegeezr  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:22:14pm

Dammit Horatio…didn’t anyone get the message…?

Where is… or was the “FOX effect”…?

Where’s the streaming video from the west steps?

Is it on YouTube…?
121 Shiplord Kirel  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:22:16pm

re: #86 Pepper Fox

Pastors will test Matthew Shepard Act by “inciting hate crimes”

[Link: www.progressivepuppy.com…]

They want to be able to tell fellow nutburgers that they were arrested for “quoting the Bible,” which does in fact contain some pretty inflammatory passages on this subject. I don’t think law enforcement will fall for it.

122 Ben Hur  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:23:06pm

re: #117 SteveC

SHIT!!!

They could’ve been shooting back.

123 Pepper Fox  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:23:13pm

Saying a woman and child are among the dead possibly.

124 StillAMarine  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:23:36pm

“… one hell of a benediction.” I love it.

125 DaddyG  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:23:41pm

re: #107 recusancy

ONe extreme to the other. Expressions of faith and supplication for protection from a higher power are as old as our government and a great thing. Its when those prayers are used not as prayer but as a political statement or sermon that they do not belong in a Church or government building.

I would hope there is plenty of room in our public discourse for a wide range of beliefs to be accomidated without going out of the way to put others down.

126 cliffster  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:24:10pm

Hasn’t Killeen filled its quota for mass murders already? Bad mojo for a nice little town.

127 Pepper Fox  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:24:30pm

re: #126 cliffster

Only the gangbanger murders.

128 theheat  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:24:58pm

re: #126 cliffster

I was stuck there in ‘79 and thought it was the armpit of the world. Maybe it’s changed.

129 recusancy  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:25:02pm

re: #98 Guanxi88

He’s not playing any damned card. Get over yourself. You’re not a victim. It will be ok.

130 MandyManners  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:25:13pm

re: #126 cliffster

The buffet restaurant?

131 Pepper Fox  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:25:15pm

re: #128 theheat

It hasn’t.

132 SteveC  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:25:34pm

CNN has something about a deputy stealing court papers off the lawyers desk, and FOX always seems to go to a commercial when something happens.

133 subsailor68  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:25:44pm

re: #92 karmic_inquisitor

Hi Karmic! I understand you’re not looking for sympathy, and everything you wrote makes very good sense. It goes to my ongoing concern about unintended consequences.

For example, you cite marginal/unskilled workers. Proposed legislation like the heath bill, and existing legislation like the minimum wage laws, are poison for these poor folks. Minimum wage laws make politicians feel good, but - in study after study - seem to result in lower employment for these folks. And that makes sense. If you have 10 workers at $10.00 per hour, and the minimum wage goes up 5%, you now have 10 workers at $10.50 an hour, an increase of $5.00 per hour - half the pay of an additional worker you might like to hire. Somewhere there’s someone who’d like a job, but it just isn’t there for them.

134 Shiplord Kirel  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:25:51pm

re: #119 Bubblehead II

7 killed, 12 wounded in Texas shooting: report

My brother is at Fort Hood.

135 cliffster  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:26:02pm

re: #130 MandyManners

The buffet restaurant?

Yup, that one. Been awhile, but I bet if you live there you feel like you’ve done your time already

136 MandyManners  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:26:05pm

re: #132 SteveC

There was a link here about it yesterday or the day before.

137 badger1970  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:26:24pm

re: #116 Pepper Fox

Is that the incoming processing center?

138 Walter L. Newton  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:26:33pm

re: #130 MandyManners

The buffet restaurant?

Yep.

139 Pepper Fox  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:26:34pm

The Temple school district put their schools on lockdown. They are 40 minutes away by highway. That’s a bit extreme.

140 Charles Johnson  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:26:53pm

Ooh, just got my new Apple Magic Mouse. This thing is sweet. I may have to write a review.

141 Pepper Fox  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:27:15pm

re: #137 badger1970

Not sure, they said the shooting was in the theater and some other building I didn’t catch it. One of the public ones.

142 MandyManners  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:27:25pm

re: #139 Pepper Fox

Better to over-react than under-react and wind up with dead kids.

143 SteveC  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:27:38pm

CNN went back to their people - pentagon says 2 locations: processing facility for troops going into/out of Iraq/Afgan, and a movie theater.

144 Bubblehead II  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:27:43pm

re: #134 Shiplord Kirel

Dang. Any Chance of getting hold of him to see if everything is ok?

145 Lorenska  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:27:54pm

No, member Lubys?

re: #127 Pepper Fox

146 cliffster  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:27:56pm

re: #142 MandyManners

Better to over-react than under-react and wind up with dead kids.

You have a way with words

147 Guanxi88  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:27:58pm

re: #129 recusancy

No, no invocation of race in the invocation of the Almighty at all; no suggestion of racial discrimination on the one hand, and unjust privilege on the other. Non whatsoever.

I’m not a victim, nor am I a perpetrator or beneficiary of racial discrimination, and I sure as Hell do not need to be lectured about my need to embrace what is right on the basis of my race.

“it will be ok.”

So long as race is used as a club and instrument of manipulation in a multi-racial society, it will not be ok.

148 karmic_inquisitor  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:28:17pm

So you have two in military uniforms shooting up Ft Hood.

If it is a single guy then the most likely thing in this country is someone going postal.

But 2? On an Army base?

149 DaddyG  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:28:31pm

…and for the record I know I can’t spell worth crap. re: #140 Charles

Capitalist pig! You must buy magic mouse for all Lizards to make web fair again! /

150 Shiplord Kirel  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:28:34pm

re: #144 Bubblehead II

Dang. Any Chance of getting hold of him to see if everything is ok?

Calling now.

151 theheat  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:28:57pm

re: #148 karmic_inquisitor

And how did they kill so many, when you would assume there are armed soldiers pretty much everywhere?

152 recusancy  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:29:03pm

re: #147 Guanxi88

Sound like a victim to me.

153 SteveC  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:29:07pm

re: #150 Shiplord Kirel

Calling now.

Many prayers!

154 What, me worry?  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:29:09pm

re: #107 recusancy

LOL Sorry I had to giggle.

Obama will never win. He’s either not Christian enough or too Christian. If he doesn’t go to prayer breakfasts, he must be a Muslim born in Kenya. If he goes, he’s just pushing it all over us! Makes my head explode.

Meanwhile, I never bow my head in public prayer. I say my prayer eyes open, head raised because inevitably the prayer ends with “In Jesus name we pray.” and I think… Oooo those crazy Christian folks got me again! I don’t pray to Jesus, so I don’t do public prayer.

155 Pepper Fox  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:29:13pm

3rd shooter just started shooting at the PX and killed a cop

156 oldegeezr  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:29:20pm

re: #122 Ben Hur

PTSD, PTSS, can drive troopers totally “nuts” ask one who knows…!

157 MandyManners  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:29:32pm

re: #148 karmic_inquisitor

So you have two in military uniforms shooting up Ft Hood.

But 2? On an Army base?

I’m don’t wanna’ think what I’m thinking.

158 lawhawk  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:29:33pm

re: #137 badger1970

One of the reports says the incident occurred at the Soldier Processing Center on the base grounds.

159 Guanxi88  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:29:56pm

re: #152 recusancy

Sound like a victim to me.

How can I be a victim? I look like the ones the good Dr. suggests need to embrace what is right? surely I’m part of the problem.

160 bosforus  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:29:57pm

re: #151 theheat

I’d guess the element of surprise has something to with that.

161 MandyManners  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:30:06pm

re: #155 Pepper Fox

3rd shooter just started shooting at the PX and killed a cop

WHAT?

162 sattv4u2  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:30:08pm

UPDATE

One in custody ,, one still at large

Base is in lock down

Many civilinas there today because of some sort of ceremony

163 Pepper Fox  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:30:33pm

re: #161 MandyManners

I’ve got the local kileen news on. Just came in.

164 MandyManners  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:31:04pm

re: #163 Pepper Fox

I’ve got the local kileen news on. Just came in.

Now, I’m thinking what I don’t wanna’ think.

165 tradewind  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:31:15pm

re: #64 karmic_inquisitor

If there’s an individual opt-out from r/t… yes. Not sure if that is possible, but if any one could do it, I’m sure Charles could.

166 subsailor68  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:31:18pm

re: #155 Pepper Fox

3rd shooter just started shooting at the PX and killed a cop

I wonder, is it a third shooter or the second one who is still on the loose?

167 SteveC  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:31:29pm

Local Fire dept. rolling all the ambulances they have.

168 Mad Al-Jaffee  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:31:35pm

I had to go and check the DU comments about the Ft. Hood shooting. One posted speculated that it was a “fundie” who did it. Another called it “collateral damage.”

169 Pepper Fox  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:31:40pm

re: #166 subsailor68

2nd one is cornered by SWAT.

170 sattv4u2  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:31:47pm

re: #166 subsailor68

I wonder, is it a third shooter or the second one who is still on the loose?

the latter from the reports I’m seeing/ hearing

171 Pepper Fox  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:32:07pm

re: #160 bosforus

I’ve been on Ft. Hood. its public access and like a neighborhood. Not many armed soldiers.

172 Ben Hur  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:32:07pm

re: #147 Guanxi88

You’re not a victim

Is the new mantra of the left to the right.

Sadly, for the last 50 years, they haven’t taken their own advice.

Because of fake (not questionable) quotes, the positions have now been changed.

You are irrational. You suffer from your perceived victimhood. You are a racist because you called him radical (dog whistle).

Mind you this talking point only started 2 weeks ago, but is being used expertly. Using your adversaries own rhetoric against them started way before Ailinsky…

173 DaddyG  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:32:19pm

re: #154 marjoriemoon

LOL Sorry I had to giggle.

I try really hard not to invoke Jesus specifically if I know I am in an a diverse audience. I figure those who are praying along know the proper name of their own God and I don’t need to instruct them. ON the other hand I try not to take offense at others whose genuine expression of faith in my behalf doesn’t jive with my doctrines. I would be a fool to be openly offeneded by someone who was willing to ask their God to bless me regardless of title or doctrines.

174 tradewind  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:32:28pm

re: #155 Pepper Fox

PX? Passengers?

175 Mostly sane, most of the time.  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:32:37pm

My major problem with the government getting involved in health care is that it so often makes problems worse when it tries to fix them.

Example 1: Cabrini-Green was supposed to get the poor OUT of the ghetto, not put them in a little slice of hell in Chicago.
Example 2: The War on Poverty was supposed to, um, do something.
Example 3: How many times have we reformed immigration now?
Example 4: The DMV.

I would like for health care to be more affordable, and for the poor to be able to get better care more efficiently. The government’s track record is just too poor for me to trust them to take care of it.

176 SteveC  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:32:46pm

re: #166 subsailor68

I wonder, is it a third shooter or the second one who is still on the loose?

Hopefully this is one shooter, with MP response. **FINGERS CROSSED**

177 Guanxi88  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:32:47pm

re: #174 tradewind

PX? Passengers?

Post Exchange - a store.

178 Ben Hur  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:32:50pm

re: #154 marjoriemoon

LOL Sorry I had to giggle.

You’ve suffered horribly at the hand of Christians in the country, haven’t you?

179 Pepper Fox  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:32:53pm

re: #174 tradewind

PX is like the grocery/general store. It’s like a giant department store for everyone who lives there.

180 Walter L. Newton  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:33:37pm

re: #168 Mad Al-Jaffee

The loony right has it’s Muslims and the loony left has it’s “fundies.” Happens all the time.

181 MandyManners  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:33:42pm

re: #172 Ben Hur

Is the new mantra of the left to the right.

Sadly, for the last 50 years, they haven’t taken their own advice.

Because of fake (not questionable) quotes, the positions have now been changed.

Remember when those professors said calling him a socialist during the campaign was racist?

182 tradewind  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:33:43pm

Re 174, disregard, scrolling upthread…

183 Kragar  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:33:49pm

I’m tired of politicians whose only point is “Those guys are bad and we’re going to stop them” I want them to run with “Here is our plan to make things better” and work from there. Its real easy to be naysayers. I don’t see any real leaders or visionaries coming out of the Right side of politics nowadays.

184 webevintage  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:34:12pm

re: #2 Sharmuta

Healthcare is the anti-Christ. Great message, GOP!

I thought it was Obama or LOLcats or The Hasselhoff or Bill Gates something like that…

185 tradewind  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:34:15pm

re: #177 Guanxi88

Sorry, I just read up and noticed. Old habits.

186 karmic_inquisitor  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:34:16pm

re: #133 subsailor68

I have, among the employees, 2 ex cons, 3 mentally disabled, and about 20 high school drop outs. If these folks hit the streets after losing their jobs they will have a hard time finding new ones. Especially as other similar businesses are hit with the same cost constraints.

Our economy is actually good at creating service jobs that unskilled workers can fill. But they are marginal jobs in marginal businesses. I know several progressives who speak in sweeping terms about people having meaningful, well paying jobs that last 30 years and come with full pensions. They never seem to get their hands around the details though. They call these jobs “McJobs” and sneer at them. I have learned in life to never sneer at any job.

187 Pepper Fox  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:34:18pm

They have activated the emergency alert sirens on base. This may be bigger than what’s being reported.

188 MandyManners  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:34:24pm

re: #178 Ben Hur

You’ve suffered horribly at the hand of Christians in the country, haven’t you?

Help! Help! I’m being repressed.

189 Shiplord Kirel  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:34:39pm

re: #160 bosforus

I’d guess the element of surprise has something to with that.

It isn’t typical for soldiers to have weapons and live ammunition on a stateside base. Weapons are only issued for specific purposes like a trip to the range.

190 SteveC  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:34:53pm

MSNBC says 1 gunman dead, 1 surrounded and unconformed report of 1 shooter firing at the SWAT team.

I hope this is early moments confusion

191 Baier  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:34:53pm

re: #183 Kragar (Proud to be Kafir)

/We have to stop those politicians, they’re bad.

192 karmic_inquisitor  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:36:13pm

re: #151 theheat

I would not assume that. Arms are very strictly controlled on military installations. You have fewer 2nd amendment rights on a military installation than off. And soldiers only see ammunition on ranges. Very strictly controlled.

193 RogueOne  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:36:20pm

I was at Ft. Hood for awhile. waiting to find out wtf is going on is killing me.

194 CyanSnowHawk  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:36:35pm

re: #93 Mad Al-Jaffee

After the lolcat bible got started, the lolkoran was inevitable:

[Link: www.godlesscolumbia.org…]

Mewhowmed. OMG. Somebodies going to call Fawt-paw on them.

195 DaddyG  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:36:42pm

re: #175 EmmmieG

The DMV…

We’re doing something about that one. Third story down…

196 Spider Mensch  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:37:14pm

re: #187 Pepper Fox

well with one or two still on the loose..they need to lock the place down quickly as possible I would guess…and Ft Hood is not a little out of the way base..place is huge. the sirens are to get everyone to stay were they are..I hope.

197 Shiplord Kirel  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:37:35pm

Just talked to my sister-in-law. My brother is out in the field with his unit, well away from the shooting. My nephew was sent home early from school.

198 J.S.  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:38:32pm

CNN breaking (unconfirmed) one shooter at Fort Hood shot dead..another cornered.

199 What, me worry?  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:38:53pm

re: #173 DaddyG

Oh I’m not openly offended. I just internally seethe! I would never have the poor manners to express that other than anonymously in cyberspace :)

But I do find it very rude. It’s happened at work a few times. We have birthday celebrations or promotions and some gal (who no longer works here) would inevitably kick off a prayer. No one even told her, including her bosses, that it was inappropriate. Also considering that 50% of the people here are Jewish.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I feel it’s a way of trying to convert Jews or non-believers in general.

I understand the intention, but the road to hell is often paved by good intentions ;)

200 subsailor68  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:39:02pm

re: #186 karmic_inquisitor

You know what? I sure as heck hope you’re able to weather this! God bless you for giving these folks jobs, and I pray they respond with hard work, loyalty, honesty, and good cheer. (I’m not naive enough to think that all will, but idealistic enough to hope that most do.)

You deserve success.

201 SteveC  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:39:46pm

re: #197 Shiplord Kirel

Excellent news. Prayers for the wounded and families of the deceased.

202 Lorenska  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:40:42pm

re: #191 Baier

I am no lover of the repubs, trust me, but everything I’ve seen has indicated that even when they offer solutions, ideas or input, no one will listen to them. At one of the Pres’s recent speeches, the repubs showed up waving no fewer than 30 different healthcare proposals of their own that they’ve tried to get debated, and they were thoroughly ignored and dismissed. Pelosi and Reid have their own agendas and are not interested in listening to anyone who doesn’t walk that line, period. Speaking of sharing ideas, whatever happened to Obamas promise that he would never allow a bill to be voted on until it had been posted online for the citizens to review for at least 72 hours? Congress hasn’t even read the damn thing, much less given us peons a chance to review and, oh, I don’t know, have an opinion or a say in what’s happening in our country? Isn’t that the idea of representative government?

203 Pepper Fox  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:40:56pm

It seems to have quieted down a bit. EMS on the scanner is saying all the victims have been moved out the local hospitals, little activity going in to the base.

204 SixDegrees  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:42:07pm

re: #6 lawhawk

Also, the Democrats picked up endorsements for their health care proposals from the AARP and from the AMA today. So they’ve got the old fuck vote and the doctor’s vote backing them up.

Meanwhile, the GOP has been enthralled by snake handlers. If they’re lucky, maybe they’ll get an endorsement out of one of them. If they prove themselves pure enough, that is.

205 SteveC  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:42:29pm

re: #203 Pepper Fox

FOX saying fort in Lockdown. Spokeswoman for the city just mentioned 3rd shooter.

206 DaddyG  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:43:25pm

re: #199 marjoriemoon I usually cringe for personal and legal purposes. I’m ok with an invocation over a shared meal or other event but it has to be very sensitive and with the feel that it is a voluntary offering not a mandatory Christian sanctioned event. A moment of silence for people to contemplate or pray as desired is almost always appropriate if it really has to be done.

207 WINDUPBIRD DISEASE [S.K.U.M.M.]  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:46:20pm

re: #175 EmmmieG

Example 4: The DMV.

Oh. Give me. A. Break.

So sick of the “GOVERNMENT SUX LOOKIT THE DMV” meme. The DMV in Oregon is awesome. I get my DEQ and my tabs from one place. I pull up to the testing station with the form that arrived in the mail, they hooked up my fire engine red 1996 Volvo 850R wagon to the OBD jack next to the cigarette lighter, no line, no wait, the two friendly guys running the station joked with me about the crappy weather for a minute, they looked at the OBD reading, said my Volvo passed emissions, and I paid my money for registration, got my tabs in the little baggie and the DEQ results, and I was done.

In and out in?

under 3 minutes. I timed it BECAUSE OF THIS ARGUMENT.

If health care reform is anything like my DMV experiences have been in Oregon, I’ll jump up and down like I just won a refrigerator on the Price is Right.

208 Baier  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:47:31pm

re: #202 Lorenska

It’s very common that presidential candidates make promises that cannot or will not be kept. I don’t really care about parties anymore, as far as I’m concerned there are moderates and rest. I prefer to vote for a fiscally conservative and socially liberal candidate, but there are very few of those.

209 What, me worry?  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:49:30pm

re: #206 DaddyG

I’m terrible. I’m very suspicious. I suppose it’s awful, but it gets worse the older I get.

I do agree with you about a moment of silence, but outside of houses of worship or your own home, I’m pretty much against it.

210 webevintage  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:51:26pm

re: #207 WindUpBird

No kidding.
Our DMV does a great job (and Post Office for that matter, I ship packages 3 times a week and over 3 years have had 4 lost and 2 of those were lost overseas) and the gals there very nice. If it takes long it means the person ahead of me are morons and probably should not be allowed out in public.

211 webevintage  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:53:46pm

I bet Pastor Broden’s prayer/speech would be awesome in LOL speak.

212 What, me worry?  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 12:54:15pm

re: #202 Lorenska

Really? Where did he promise that? I never heard it.

That would be ridiculous. No president can ask the citizens to “review” legislation. You can’t even do that with local government. You’d never get anything done. Yea, I know, what’s the diff…

That’s how elections work. You elect the guy or gal who you agree with MOST (very rarely all) and let them do their thing.

Obama is a Dem, his Congress is Dem, he should push that healthcare bill through. Screw the Republicans if they can’t come to terms with it or offer any workable solutions outside of “let’s buy insurance in other states” which is practically the only game they have going. Why is he cowtowing to the Repubs? So they like him? That’s never going to happen anyway.

I like Obama, but he’s looking more like a Carter than a Clinton. I haven’t given up hope yet. He may come around still.

213 Lorenska  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 1:01:16pm

re: #212 marjoriemoon

Sorry, his promise was actually to post non emergency bills for FIVE days, not 3, my bad…:

[Link: www.whitehouse.gov…]

(If you type “Obamas promise to post legislation” into google, you’ll get multiple hits about the promise and its breaking).

And I never meant it was to allow people to “approve” them, just review and understand what their reps are passing. You really believe bills that affect any part of your life, much less something this sweeping should just be “pushed through” because the other party doesnt have a better idea? That’s just not my idea of government of the people, by the people, for the people.

214 watching you tiny alien kittens are  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 1:01:38pm

re: #151 theheat

Only the gate gaurds, munitions storage gaurds, and command post gaurds, SOP in the army is not to carry arms on base. Except for during readiness drills pretty much everyone on the base is unarmed.

215 SixDegrees  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 1:01:59pm

re: #212 marjoriemoon

Really? Where did he promise that? I never heard it.

I believe this pledge was part of his promise to improve government transparency. Not so much a review in the sense of awaiting input from readers as simply divulging the details of what was being done.

As for going things alone: very, very bad idea, and not without reason being referred to as “the nuclear option.” Payback’s a bitch, and refusing to listen to the minority would cost the Democrats dearly - if you think the rhetoric is harsh and over the top now, wait until the Dems make it clear there is absolutely nothing to lose by going down that road. And wait, too, until the GOP regroups and once again holds the reins of power - political memories are long, and vindictiveness common.

0bama, at least, seems smarter than this, and has been actively courting Republican input and support for the simple reason that he can defuse such future remonstrances. It’s a wise move, but it’s being made nearly impossible both by GOP wagon circling and by Democratic indifference to proposals emanating from the other side of the aisle.

216 checked08  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 1:05:44pm

Hard to believe this guy is against anti-Christ abortion.

217 Lorenska  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 1:13:42pm

You said it so much better than I did, I second all of this, amen.

re: #215 SixDegrees

218 What, me worry?  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 1:17:23pm

re: #215 SixDegrees

I understand what you’re saying, but it makes him appear wishy washy, i.e. Carter-like. The man’s M.O. is, indeed, a bit plodding and I know he wants to be inclusive, but if he’s doing the best for the country, and I think his ideas on healthcare are indeed the best, then it won’t matter if he doesn’t bring in the naysayers. Medicare and Social Security were good things for this country and I’m sure many Repubs opposed it. Hell some still do!

We need to revamp healthcare. We need to get alternative fuels on the market, usable and affordable. We should have been doing these things 60 years ago.

219 Lorenska  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 1:24:26pm

re: #218 marjoriemoon

Have you read the bill? This doesn’t just ‘give everyone healthcare’. It raises taxes, forces insurance companies to cover what the government deems “necessary” stuff (thus increasing EVERYONE’S premiums), adds trillions to the debt, and still leaves out millions of uninsured. I am all for bettering our healthcare, but this bill doesn’t do it (and there is stuff in there that has nothing to do with healthcare at all - it’s 2000 pages, you don’t want your reps to at least READ the freaking thing?).

220 SanFranciscoZionist  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 1:25:20pm

re: #8 Guanxi88

William S. Burroughs, on benedictions:

Also a form of prayer.

221 SanFranciscoZionist  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 1:26:46pm

re: #17 Pepper Fox

Didn’t Jesus say NOT to pray in public?

Jesus lost that fight with his followers a long, long time ago. If he really wants to make an issue of it…well, that’s his business.

222 What, me worry?  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 1:44:07pm

re: #219 Lorenska

I have not read it recently and it’s something you have to sit with. I haven’t had the time unfortunately.

I was under the impression taxes wouldn’t be raised. I’ll have to look through it again. Now, Obama always talked about having all children covered, not necessarily all adults who can’t afford coverage. It was Hillary who wanted healthcare for everyone, not Obama (I was a Hillary supporter a year ago). I’m for a public option alongside a private option.

I don’t understand what you mean by “forces ins companies to cover what the gov doesn’t.” Can you site an example?

223 What, me worry?  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 1:50:17pm

re: #221 SanFranciscoZionist

LOL Hey you!

I have two dear friends, one pentacostal (evangelist) and the other, I don’t know! But both religious.

So friend #1 has a lead foot and just got her second traffic ticket. I was yelling at her (doing 50mph in a 30mph, one of my personal peeves). Friend #2 says to her, “WWJD?” Which for some reason really makes friend #1 piping mad.

So I said, “Nothing! He doesn’t drive!”

Ok, so that’s my joke…

224 What, me worry?  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 1:55:09pm

re: #219 Lorenska

Are you talking about wellness care? Mammograms? Colonoscopy, etc? I’ve had this discussion (…cough…lol) with the lizardum. I’m all for wellness care and all for forcing the ins companies to cover it. They cover mammos now thank goodness.

225 JohninLondon  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 2:10:54pm

re: #215 SixDegrees

you say “Obama has been actively courting Republican input”

You gotta be joking !!! If you believe tosh like that I feel sorry for you. He has gone through the motions for PR purposes but delivered nothing back.

The whole point is that Obama’s essential mandate - what he preached right through his campaign - was that he would try to run things in a non-partisan way. THAT was his core message. He has utterly failed to live up to that promise. I doubt if he ever intended to anyway.

Maybe if on healthcare he had not shown his inexperience by letting Pelosi and Reid run things, he might have used his then-popularity early in the year to bang some heads together and try to come up with a reasonable compromise. If he had helped bring forward some sort of balanced programme, I think he might have won public support.

Instead - there is huge dissension, and a total blocking by the Dems of proper Republican input to the process. Heck, they don’t even get to see the successive 2000 page mish-mashes until a couple of days before they are forced to vote.

Obama deserves to be in this mess on healthcare. he created it, by failure to lead, failure to try to find a “post-partisan” way forward. He blew it.

226 Lorenska  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 2:32:02pm

Actually it’s ‘forces ins companies to cover what the govt deems necessary’ - ie, they get to say what is “required” coverage, which will raise the companies costs and therefore premiums. As for taxes, they are raising taxes mostly on upper incomes, but also taxing businesses that don’t offer healthcare to their employees, as well as adding myriad ‘fines’ and other costs that will be buried somewhere amongst the hearts and flowers of ‘coverage for everyone.’ You’re a perfect example of why this bill worries me…you obviously have only the best of intentions, you want to do the right thing, you think this bill does it, and you haven’t had time to do the homework (nor have I, I only know some little scary tidbits - NO ONE has the time to read it in full). It worries me that this is what the govt is counting on …sharing just enough info to make people think this bill is a magic bullet, while hiding handgrenades in its pages.

re: #222 marjoriemoon

227 Lorenska  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 2:34:00pm

Sorry, I keep confusing the ‘quote’ and ‘reply’ buttons and adding my comments on the top of others instead of the bottom, my posts are probably confusing. MarjorieMoon, as for your other question, they haen’t yet outlined what they will require as coverage, that’s the scary part.

228 WINDUPBIRD DISEASE [S.K.U.M.M.]  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 2:34:04pm

re: #225 JohninLondon

Proper Republican input. Is that what you’re calling it? Deranged paranoid gibberish about death panels and socialism?

The stuff I have seen out of elected Republicans about health care, it should be grounds for a 72 hour hold. The things they are saying are not just partisan, they are the panicked ravings of lunatics who are out of power. Blame Obama for not being a magic manipulator or a cosmic God-King who can work miracles and bend people to his will with his sultry words, blame him for being naive enough to think there was going to be more sanity in this debate. I blame him for his naivete. I wanted Obama to be more of a hardass. and to assume that the order of the day with be blind vicious obstructionism. he isn’t being enough of a hardass. I am disappointed. But I don’t trust Republicans as far as I can heave them on health care. They have shown themselves to be fundamentally untrustworthy on this issue. Health care is my biggest issue, and it is the primary one that will keep me voting predominantly D.

The mess is not Obama’s. This mess is ours. It belongs to us. Everyone who lives in this country is part of this mess. And if you think Republicans have been advancing truly productive debate on health care, then buy me a ticket to the parallel dimension you are currently residing in. If you think Medicare doesn’t work, you are either misinformed, inexperienced with Medicare itself, or stenographing talking points willingly.

229 JohninLondon  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 3:05:47pm

re: #228 WindUpBird

I didn’t say Medicare doesn’t work - or any of the stuff you are saying.

And repub ideas are not all negative stuff like “death pamels”, you really do go overboard.

A competent President could have used his authority and taken what is in the Dem package - and what is in the Repub Bill - and helped the legislators thrash out some sort of compromise, some give-and-take.

But Obama’s election claims of post-partisanship were just a con. H has been proving about as divisive as he could be.

He blew it on healthcare. The mask has dropped - he is a way-out liberal with no intention of finding compromises. And voters have rumbled him.

230 sffilk  Thu, Nov 5, 2009 4:25:48pm

Besides everything else, he uses the phrase “Judeo-Christian,” which is a minsnomer. *sigh* - they’ll never learn.

231 sardonic  Fri, Nov 6, 2009 5:30:57am

re: #228 WindUpBird

You say the stuff about what you see on Republicans on health care should be grounds for a 72 hour hold. Well, Nancy Pelosi said on Sept 24th that a House bill would be on-line for 72 hours for all to see and peruse.

That’s not gonna happen now, is it? The House will vote tomorrow; where’s the bill on-line for all to see?

Another thing: A bill has been introduced that would require anyone voting for the public option to have to take it themselves. Not one Democrat has voted for it - they’ve all voted against it. If this legislation is so damn wonderful and the government is going to run this so efficiently, why is that the case?

A friend of mine who is a doctor told me recently that years ago if Medicare rejected a claim - which they could do if an i wasn’t dotted or a t wasn’t crossed or some other paperwork wasn’t quite in order the way they liked it - that he had two years to file an appeal. Now that’s been cut down to a month.

He said to me when you’re trying to run a medical practice, what can you possibly get together in a month?

I don’t give a damn what an arm-twisted and bribed AMA just came out an said. Find me some doctors who are really for this.

My brother-in-law had surgery recently. He was in his room afterward and waiting for a nurse, and was getting frustrated at how long it was taking for one to show up.

When she finally did and he voiced his displeasure at the delay, she said “If you think things are bad now, wait until this health care thing passes. Then you’ll see how bad things can really be”.

232 What, me worry?  Fri, Nov 6, 2009 9:07:47am

re: #226 Lorenska

Sorry to post on a dead thread, but I wanted to respond to you. I’m not online much anymore, my apologies.

I have a few links. The bill itself is nearly 2000 pages! And I have no trouble sleeping at night so I haven’t read through ALL it. But there’s some other nifty tidbits to look through.

Office of the Majority Leader, Hoyer:
[Link: majorityleader.gov…]

Bill Text, All 1990 Whopping, Riveting pages:
[Link: docs.house.gov…]

Bill Summary, 4 pages
[Link: majorityleader.gov…]

Top 10 Changes to Health Insurance Reform Bill
[Link: majorityleader.gov…]

Top 14 Changes That Take Effect Immediately
[Link: majorityleader.gov…]

Side-by-Side Comparison of H.R. 3200 & Affordable Health Care for America Act: [Link: majorityleader.gov…]

There are some fantastic things in here. Not denying pre-existing conditions is probably the best. They could work on shrinking the donut hole. They haven’t gone far enough really. And if you read through it, you’ll see how it decreases the deficit over the long term, 10-20 years down the line.

Oh, don’t worry about the reply/quote. LGF has a lot of groovy functions you just have to get your rhythm down :)

VULFPECK /// Back Pocket (Live at Madison Square Garden)VULFPECK /// Back Pocket (Live at Madison Square Garden)buy on vinyl → vuuulf.com
54 minutes ago
EVGENY POBOZHIY QUINTET - Stranger Thoughts Evgeny Pobozhiy Quintet - Stranger Thoughts Evgeny Pobozhiy - guitar, compositionAnton Chekurov - saxNikolai Sidorenko - keysSergey Korchagin - bassAlexander Kulkov - drumsRecorded live @ Blues-minus studio, MoscowViktor Farafontov - sound engineerAndrey Galyamin - videoSergey Gasparyan - mixing2019 ...
#Thegreatpoolpondconversion - 191201 It was an ‘easy’ unchallenging weekend. While low key, we got a lot done. We worked on the upper wall, setting and pounding in the 72 bags we dropped in last week. There are now two courses done completely ...
Dangerman (misuser of the sarc tag)
Marvel Studios’ Black Widow - Official Teaser Trailer Marvel Studios' Black Widow is in theaters May 1, 2020. ► Subscribe to Marvel: bit.ly► See the poster: marvel.com► Learn more: marvel.com Follow Marvel on Twitter: ‪@marvelLike Marvel on Facebook: ‪facebook.com For even more news, stay tuned to:Tumblr: ‪marvelentertainment.tumblr.comInstagram: ...
Commanded to Love Some reflections on the the crucial role emotion can play in keeping us stuck in abuse — and in recovery and immunisation. You can support the channel at: patreon.com--opening quote:‘feel crime’ — the crime of feeling an emotion that ...
Views: 1,424 • Comments: 0 • Rating: 0
Sony Overtakes Nikon to Become Number Two Camera Company Behind Canon ony has been aggressively coming after the camera market for several years now, and it seems their efforts are paying off, as they have now overtaken Nikon for the second position behind Canon. Nikkei is reporting that Sony is ...
The Weeknd - Blinding Lights (Audio) Official audio for The Weeknd "Blinding Lights" - available everywhere now: theweeknd.co ►Subscribe to The Weeknd on YouTube: theweeknd.co ►Follow The Weeknd:@theweekndfacebook.cominstagram.comtheweeknd.comSubscribe to YouTube Music: theweeknd.co ►"Blinding Lights" Lyrics:I been tryna callI’ve been on my own for long enoughMaybe ...
Tuxedo - Get the Money (Feat. CeeLo Green) Official audio of Tuxedo's "Get The Money (Feat. CeeLo Green)" Stream now: tuxedo.lnk.to Subscribe to the official Tuxedo Channel here: smarturl.it Lyrics:Get the moneyAll the timeYeah we want itDollar signs We’ll pile it up to the skyTen miles highNo ...
Stray Dog -Tramp (How It Is)From the album 'Stray Dog'1973
Marcus King - the Well (Official Music Video) Order / stream here "El Dorado:" mk.lnk.toListen to "The Well: mk.lnk.to “The Well” is off the new solo debut album from Marcus King. “El Dorado” out January 17th, 2020. “The Well” was directed by Reid Long Marcus King’s debut ...