Poll: Bad Craziness in the GOP Base
A new poll conducted among 2,000 self-identified Republicans by Daily Kos and Research 2000 shows that the Republican base is possibly even crazier than I previously thought: Poll: Republicans Think Obama Is A Socialist, And Palin More Qualified To Be President.
- 39% of Republicans want President Obama to be impeached.
- 63% think Obama is a socialist.
- Only 42% believe Obama was born in the United States.
- 21% think ACORN stole the 2008 election — that is, that Obama didn’t actually win it, and isn’t legitimately the president, with 55% saying they are “not sure.” …
- 53% think Sarah Palin is more qualified than Obama to be president.
- 23% want to secede from the United States.
- 73% think gay people should not be allowed to teach in public schools. This position puts the GOP base well to the right of none other than Ronald Reagan, who helped defeat the Briggs Initiative, a 1978 referendum in California that would have forbidden gays or people who advocated gay rights from teaching in public schools.
- 31% want contraception to be outlawed.