GOP Leaders Backing Rand Paul

The Washington Post’s Michael Gerson says Palin, Dobson, and DeMint must repudiate Rand Paul or accept his extremism.

And I have to ask — in which universe does Gerson think that’s going to happen? All three of the wingnuts he names are completely aligned with Rand Paul and his dad Ron, and so is the Republican Party in general. They’re not going to repudiate him. Rand Paul is a rising star in the GOP.

Republican strategists … think Paul’s supporters could see the comments and resulting firestorm “as fresh motivation for voting him into Congress.”

Meanwhile, NRSC chief John Cornyn (Texas) is defending his new Senate candidate.

“Rand Paul, like every new candidate, is going to get better,” Cornyn told Bloomberg’s Al Hunt in an interview to air this weekend. Candidates, Cornyn said, “make mistakes and they misspeak.”

Paul, his GOP primary rival Trey Grayson and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) are scheduled to attend a unity breakfast in Kentucky on Saturday morning.

1 Kragar  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:35:14am

I’ve been holding off for a long time changing my party affiliation, thinking at least some folks in the GOP had a clue.

I’ll be registering independent later today.

2 SpaceJesus  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:35:15am

oh please please let him and his dad run for president on the same ticket in 2012. i need an october filled with endless comedy.

3 Obdicut  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:35:27am

Someone, please. Some GOP dude rise to this occasion. It’s a big, easy, softball. There are thousands of american businesses that will be affected by this spill. It’s totally freaking easy to bat this one.

Someone step up.

4 garhighway  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:35:38am

Note to Sen. Cornyn: Some things do not get better with age. Rand Paul is the dead fish of candidates. What you smell right now is as good as it is ever going to get.

5 Gus  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:36:19am

I hereby proclaim that from this day forward that the Grand Old Party be renamed the Grand Old Paulians!

Bring me their leader, Michael Steele, so I can place the Tin Foil Crown™ on his head!

6 jamesfirecat  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:36:31am

Wow that really must be one big tent the GOP has if they’ve got room for Rand Paul in it!

7 Aceofwhat?  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:37:21am

sigh

8 Stan the Demanded Plan  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:39:11am

They are digging more up. From TPM

Campaigning for his father in Montana back in 2008, Rand Paul spoke out against the NAFTA Superhighway, encouraging Congress to stop the mythical project that would connect Mexico, the U.S., and Canada and, critics say, deal a fatal blow to American sovereignty. Long a bugaboo on some segments of the Right, the NAFTA Superhighway does not actually exist.

[Link: tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com…]

9 Four More Tears  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:39:15am

Everyone aboard the Fail Express! *Choo, Choo!*

10 Obdicut  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:39:58am

re: #8 Stanley Sea

How else do you get to the death panels, if not driving along the NAFTA superhighway?

11 Gus  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:40:14am

re: #8 Stanley Sea

They are digging more up. From TPM

[Link: tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com…]

Yeah, but gosh darn it, he’s so intelligent.

12 Four More Tears  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:40:20am

re: #2 SpaceJesus

I see many political comedians just retiring after a laugh-fest of that magnitude. What would be left?

13 Four More Tears  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:40:39am

re: #11 Gus 802

Yeah, but gosh darn it, he’s so intelligent.

You betcha!

14 SpaceJesus  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:41:03am

re: #12 JasonA

carlos mencia. he’s the only one not funny enough to get it.

15 Gus  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:41:43am

What a sad decade it’s been so far. Where Sarah Palin and Rand Paul can be considered great political leaders and political thinkers.

The eye doctor and the sports gal.

16 jamesfirecat  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:41:44am

re: #12 JasonA

The sad thing is that Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert are ONLY locked in through the 2012 elections so I hesitate to imagine what might replace them.

Unless it was the “John Oliver Technicolour Repourt

17 Stan the Demanded Plan  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:42:38am

re: #10 Obdicut

You must have your Amero’s ready to pay the toll.

In the Montana appearance, Rand Paul echoed his father’s views, referring to the “Amero” (the Euro-style currency of the future North American Union), and saying “I guarantee you it’s one of their long term goals to have one sort of borderless, mass continent.”

18 webevintage  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:42:45am

re: #15 Gus 802

The eye doctor and the sports gal grifter.

FTFY

19 Guanxi88  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:43:20am

re: #8 Stanley Sea

They are digging more up. From TPM

[Link: tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com…]

Now, in fairness, the “NAFTA Superhighway” does not exist at present. However, there were noises made for quite some time here to build the TTC (Trans-Texas Corridor) for eventually linking the highways systems between Mexico, the US, and Canada.

TTC turned out to be boondoggle and a nightmare before it ever really got started; way too much cronyism, even by Gov. Perry’s standards, and the environmental impact, not to mention the enormous takings that would be required to build it, ruled it right out.

But a highway linking the three nations is not some fantasy of the fevered minds of the Right; it was planned, and was only recently kiboshed.

20 Four More Tears  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:43:33am

re: #16 jamesfirecat

I can’t wait for them to get back to vacation. Wyatt and/or Larry Wilmore are going to have a field day.

21 Locker  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:43:34am

It sure feels like younger Paul is laying his cards on the table a bit too soon and on some extremely polarizing issues. Lets assume for a minute that he is savvy and there is some angle behind this move.

What would that angle be?

22 jamesfirecat  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:43:50am

re: #17 Stanley Sea

////Like Canada would agree to unite their currency with ours, I think they’ve probably learned a thing or two for how well that worked out for Germany when they united theirs with Greece’s…

23 jamesfirecat  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:45:30am

re: #21 Locker

What would that angle be?

1) Locate all true believers in liberterianism in the US
2) Move to Rapture
3) Discover ADAM
4)????
5) Profit!

24 Jaerik  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:45:34am

TIME has Paul on record saying he’s for the War on Drugs (against legalization of pot), anti gay marriage, pro prayer in schools, etc.

That isn’t libertarianism, that’s social conservatism. You can’t just pluck out the fiscal conservative side of libertarianism, tag on a bunch of social conservative views, and say it’s new.

That’s not libertarianism. That’s the Republican talking points for the past 30 years, just with an added “and we REALLY MEAN IT this time!” Glenn Beck libertarianism: nothing more than Conservatives desperately trying to re-brand themselves as something new.

25 [deleted]  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:45:46am
26 Brother Holy Cruise Missile of Mild Acceptance  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:46:15am

re: #21 Locker

He ran as a tea-party candidate, he won on these same views. He sees his win in the primary as legtimization of those views and doesn’t get that winning a primary in one state does not mean you views are good across the country (or on this planet).

27 Gus  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:46:27am

re: #25 Hugh_Mon

It’s those bedroom eyes of his.

28 jamesfirecat  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:46:44am

re: #25 Hugh_Mon

Why does everyone here have such a hard-on for Rand?

Because without her we wouldn’t have Bioshock.

(Wrong Rand?)

29 SpaceJesus  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:47:03am

Paul Paul: putting the darkies in their place and the oil on your beaches in ‘12

30 Aceofwhat?  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:47:06am

re: #19 Guanxi88

heh. infrastructure spending was about to become a boondoggle? the residents of Boston are shocked, shocked i tells ya…

31 Locker  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:47:36am

re: #23 jamesfirecat

Eric Cartman: Bad!
[Hits the Gnome with a stick]
Kyle Broflovski: Cartman!
Eric Cartman: What?
Kyle Broflovski: Why do you always have to hit stuff with a stick?
Eric Cartman: Well look at him… he’s all… well… you know… look at him.
[Hits it again]
Underpants Gnome: Is that all you got, Pussy?
Eric Cartman: What?
Stan Marsh: Hey! He talked!
Eric Cartman: Yeah! He just called me a pussy! I’m not a pussy! You’re a pussy!
Underpants Gnome: You’re a pussy, Pussy!
Eric Cartman: AY!

32 Gus  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:47:50am

re: #28 jamesfirecat

Because without her we wouldn’t have Bioshock.

(Wrong Rand?)

Yeah, I saw her on the Phil Donahue show once and she kind of creeped me out.

33 Aceofwhat?  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:47:58am

re: #23 jamesfirecat

DUDE.

Bioshock was nice and all, but it was no Mass Effect /ME2 or Dragon Age Origins.

Priorities, man…priorities!

34 jamesfirecat  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:48:01am

re: #29 SpaceJesus

I tell you my fellow Americans, if I am elected you won’t even have to go to a gasoline station ever again, you can take your family on a nice relaxing drive to the beach and then refule it right there!

35 Cato the Elder  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:48:11am

re: #24 Jaerik

TIME has Paul on record saying he’s for the War on Drugs (against legalization of pot) […]

So all the stoners who love his dad will be lost to him as voters?

Heh.

I’m told that marijuana is the biggest cash crop in Kentucky.

This should be fun to watch.

36 Shiplord Kirel  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:48:13am

Census war heats up…..

Pit bull attacks census worker, wingnuts cheer.
To be fair (again), not everyone at freeperland approves the pitbull’s action:

Your leider already gave her all in Yuba City, CA. Cops shot her down like the mad dog census protestor she’d become. Ol’ gal and her whole family (it seems) pulled guns. The “woman who imagines she’s SHE” then told her she wasn’t going to answer any questions.

The poster is referring to this story:

Woman shot, killed by Yuba City police

A woman was shot by two police officers late Thursday in south Yuba City after she approached them with a shotgun and refused to put down her weapon, according to a department press release.

Victoria Helen Roger-Vasselin, 67, was shot by two Yuba City officers and pronounced dead at the scene.

Police were called to the 700 block of Mariner Loop after a U.S. Census worker was confronted by residents who pointed a firearm at the worker and said they would not answer any questions.

When officers arrived, a man identified as Lionel Patterson, 51, answered the door armed with a handgun. As the officers dealt with him, Roger-Vasselin approached with a shotgun and ignored the officers’ orders to put down the weapon. She advanced and continued to point the shotgun at the officers in a threatening manner, at which point the officers fired their service weapons.

37 webevintage  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:48:24am

You know the hamsters that run the wheels in Palin’s brain are just spinning furiously right now trying to figure out a way to agree with Paul on this:

Decisions concerning private property and associations should in a free society be unhindered. As a consequence, some associations will discriminate.
…………A free society will abide unofficial, private discrimination – even when that means allowing hate-filled groups to exclude people based on the color of their skin.

Without saying it in such a way that makes her sound like a racist.

38 Aceofwhat?  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:48:31am

re: #25 Hugh_Mon

Why does everyone here have such a hard-on for Rand?

he’s loonier than an unwritten toon?

39 SpaceJesus  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:48:34am

re: #34 jamesfirecat

“and if you don’t, then fuck you communist!”

40 [deleted]  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:49:03am
41 SpaceJesus  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:49:06am

is rand paul named after ayn rand just out of curiosity

42 Guanxi88  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:49:26am

re: #30 Aceofwhat?

I know it’s hard to believe, but oddly enough, the Governor’s friends just all happened to be in the business, and, what with one thing and another…

43 Locker  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:49:45am

re: #33 Aceofwhat?

DUDE.

Priorities, man…priorities!

Bioshock was not a great game. It was a pretty game but not great. Dragon Age was great and I haven’t played ME2 yet so no comment. I did just finish Metro 2033 on X360 and I enjoyed it but just like all 1 player FPS I wish it was longer.

44 [deleted]  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:49:52am
45 webevintage  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:49:59am

re: #29 SpaceJesus

Now that’s a winning campaign slogan.

46 WINDUPBIRD DISEASE [S.K.U.M.M.]  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:50:08am

re: #23 jamesfirecat

1) Locate all true believers in liberterianism in the US
2) Move to Rapture
3) Discover ADAM
4)???
5) Profit!

You played Bioshock 2, right? I own it, haven’t cracked the shrinkwrap on it yet because I’ve been too busy. Is it worth me setting a day or two aside for it? :D

47 Aceofwhat?  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:50:17am

re: #24 Jaerik

it’s not even conservatism. it’s like he’s trying to be the OPPOSITE of everything that Buckley stood for.

Rand Paul: all of the virtues i dislike, and none of the vices i admire.

48 WINDUPBIRD DISEASE [S.K.U.M.M.]  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:50:28am

re: #41 SpaceJesus

is rand paul named after ayn rand just out of curiosity

fuck I never even thought of that, what is wrong with me?

49 [deleted]  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:50:52am
50 jamesfirecat  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:51:37am

re: #39 SpaceJesus

“and if you don’t, then fuck you communist!”

You can twist my words, but I can twist your knee till it pops!

My stance on the immigration? Attack dogs!

(Ahh good old President Ackerman…)

51 Kragar  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:51:57am

re: #33 Aceofwhat?

DUDE.

Priorities, man…priorities!

I’ve really like ME2 so far.

52 subsailor68  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:51:59am

re: #41 SpaceJesus

is rand paul named after ayn rand just out of curiosity

Hi SJ! Several posters on one of the earlier threads noted that Rand was simply short for his given name Randal (or Randall?). Of course, I suppose it’s possible he shortened it to Rand in honor of her, but I just don’t know.

53 SpaceJesus  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:52:15am

re: #48 WindUpBird

fuck I never even thought of that, what is wrong with me?

you’ve been brainwashed by the liberal cabal controlling the media, 9-11, and the war in iraq. let me give you the card of my doctor, DR. Ron Paul. he can fix you.

54 WINDUPBIRD DISEASE [S.K.U.M.M.]  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:52:20am

re: #43 Locker

I would give Bioshock a solid 8.5, maybe a 9. It wasn’t Thief 2 (which is an 11 out of 10) or System Shock 2 (which is a 10) but I thought it was very good, had tremendous art direction, greta writing, and lots of nifty little innovations in the environment hazards and powerups.

55 Locker  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:52:39am

re: #36 Shiplord Kirel

Census war heats up…

Pit bull attacks census worker, wingnuts cheer.
To be fair (again), not everyone at freeperland approves the pitbull’s action:

Man Yuba City is right up the damn highway. It was also named worst city in America in a past Rand McNally atlas. Around here we call it Methlab City.

56 jamesfirecat  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:52:54am

re: #46 WindUpBird

For one thing dear god does it play much more like a “shooter” than Bioshock 1 did given that your first gun can take down lead head splicers with a single headshot once its been upgraded….

57 Cato the Elder  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:52:57am

re: #41 SpaceJesus

is rand paul named after ayn rand just out of curiosity

Apparently he was christened “Randall” but later changed it to “Rand”.

I would not be a bit surprised if it was shortly after reading the dollar-worshipping bitch goddess.

58 webevintage  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:53:08am

re: #36 Shiplord Kirel

Census war heats up…

Why do people not still get this?
If you point your gun at a policeman and he asks you to lower it and then you point the gun in a “threatening manner” at the police they have a habit of shooting you.

You have a right to have a gun in this country, you do not have a right to point it at people.

59 WINDUPBIRD DISEASE [S.K.U.M.M.]  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:53:22am

re: #33 Aceofwhat?

DUDE.

Priorities, man…priorities!

different games! Sometimes you want a scary fucked up horror FPS, sometimes you want an RPG. I can’t compare Planescape Torment to Half-Life, that would be silly. :D

60 Aceofwhat?  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:53:45am

re: #43 Locker

did you like ME? Because, if you can believe it, ME2 was better.

61 Aceofwhat?  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:54:02am

re: #48 WindUpBird

fuck I never even thought of that, what is wrong with me?

Nope, Randal

62 SpaceJesus  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:54:18am

re: #52 subsailor68

hmmmm, probably

63 WINDUPBIRD DISEASE [S.K.U.M.M.]  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:54:19am

re: #56 jamesfirecat

hmmm…I may avoid upgrading that gun, then. I sorta like the OH GOD I GOTTA SNEAK AROUND THESE GUYS vibe more than the normal FPS vibe.

64 Guanxi88  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:54:38am

re: #57 Cato the Elder

Apparently he was christened “Randall” but later changed it to “Rand”.

Sure it ain’t also a nod to the Krugerrand, the preferred instrument of gold-buggery and international shadiness for ages now?

65 Cato the Elder  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:54:38am

re: #61 Aceofwhat?

Nope, Randal

Nope.

66 zora  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:54:42am

[Link: voices.washingtonpost.com…]

From the ‘N-word’ to the Washington Times

Tommy Christopher reports that Dale Robertson, a self-described tea party activist who was basically drummed out of the movement over holding a quasi-racist sign, has signed up with the Washington Times as a contributor to its tea party blog.

67 webevintage  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:54:43am

re: #58 webevintage

Why do people not still get this?

Oh and this woman’s blood is on the hands of Beck and Michelle Bachman and the bastards at Red State.

68 Gus  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:54:54am

New thread! Uh oh, more “Songs from the South.”

Pattern detected.

69 jamesfirecat  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:55:12am

re: #63 WindUpBird

Well sneaking is sort of tends to be a little harder since you’re a prototype big daddy and about 6 and a half feet tall in metal boots, but you’re welcom to try!

70 Aceofwhat?  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:55:13am

re: #59 WindUpBird

yeah, but the emotional impact…come on…when I finished Bioshock /B2, i sighed in relief. fun game, but i was ready for it to be over.

when i finished ME2, all i wanted to do was to play it again…

71 Locker  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:55:21am

re: #54 WindUpBird

Yea and a respawn point two feet from anywhere in the game. Risk = fun and that game had no risk at all it was just a tour through a gorgeous environment. Not to mention I got the PC version and the port from controller to mouse always seems to be terrible.

72 WINDUPBIRD DISEASE [S.K.U.M.M.]  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:55:28am

re: #53 SpaceJesus

Isn’t he a gynecologist?

Oh shi

73 WINDUPBIRD DISEASE [S.K.U.M.M.]  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:55:52am

re: #69 jamesfirecat

ahahaha that’s right, I forgot :D

74 [deleted]  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:55:57am
75 Cato the Elder  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:56:04am

re: #64 Guanxi88

Ah, the Krugerrand. Used to be a fine way to display wealth, taste, and racism, too, all in one little coin.

76 Aceofwhat?  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:56:29am

re: #54 WindUpBird

it was definitely an 8.5

i won’t talk about B2 out of respect for your shrink wrap…

77 Locker  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:56:32am

re: #54 WindUpBird

Agreed on System Shock 2 (and 1 for that matter) and I’ve not played Thief 2 yet but I liked the first one. None of them will ever top the Half-Life series which is my favorite along with Mafia.

78 Decatur Deb  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:57:03am

re: #21 Locker

What would that angle be?

Obtuse.

79 subsailor68  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:57:07am

re: #72 WindUpBird

Isn’t he a gynecologist?

Oh shi

Heh, no he’s more of a procto-opthamologist.

80 Mad Al-Jaffee  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:57:10am

re: #31 Locker

Time to go to work, work all night
Search for underpants, hey!
We won’t stop until we have underpants
Yum tum yummy tum day!”

81 darthstar  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:57:27am

Unity breakfast…sounds like a circle-jerk, and McConnell’s pivot.

Okay, that’s it…I’m on the road. Take care, all.

82 Aceofwhat?  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:57:32am

re: #65 Cato the Elder

Nope.

really? je suis desolé…what’s the update?

83 WINDUPBIRD DISEASE [S.K.U.M.M.]  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:57:36am

re: #71 Locker

I agree about the risk thing, but I can sorta put myself in the mood even if there’s respawns. I don’t like losing, just for my own satisfgaction :D

84 Aceofwhat?  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:58:24am

re: #57 Cato the Elder

Apparently he was christened “Randall” but later changed it to “Rand”.

Well, yeah. Like i said. It started as Randall…

85 jamesfirecat  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:58:50am

re: #71 Locker

Use quicksaves or don’t and reload every time you die.

I played the game till I could beat Bioshock 1 on hard with no quicksaves and reloading to the start of a level every time I died.

Then used the built in “no vita chambers” option in Bioshock 2.

Okay you have to handicap yourself if you want difficulty but its not that hard….

86 WINDUPBIRD DISEASE [S.K.U.M.M.]  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:59:32am

re: #77 Locker

Thief 1 was a great game.

Thief 2 is one of the greatest games of all time. :D

I liked the Half-Life series a lot, there’s a whole lot of memorable awesome, I prefer the Thief/Shock2 level design. Especially THief 2. Pulling off amazing heists, oh man it is the best.

87 Cato the Elder  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:59:48am

re: #84 Aceofwhat?

Well, yeah. Like i said. It started as Randall…

But Rand is not a nickname. He legally changed it at some point.

88 WINDUPBIRD DISEASE [S.K.U.M.M.]  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:59:52am

re: #85 jamesfirecat

Use quicksaves or don’t and reload every time you die.

Then used the built in “no vita chambers” option in Bioshock 2.

I’ll be turning the vita chambers off in 2, yeah :D

89 Guanxi88  Fri, May 21, 2010 11:59:53am

re: #75 Cato the Elder

Yep, nothing said “Stay well away” quite so well, or so discretely, as a ban-dated ‘rand.

90 Locker  Fri, May 21, 2010 12:00:17pm

re: #86 WindUpBird

Thief 1 was a great game.

Thief 2 is one of the greatest games of all time. :D

You know, I might go buy that today. Maybe I can even get it on steam or gog or something. Good looking out.

91 Obdicut  Fri, May 21, 2010 12:00:26pm

re: #86 WindUpBird

I think thief 1 was better than thief 2, and I think thief 3 was better than thief 2, too.

I’m a rope-arrow partisan.

92 WINDUPBIRD DISEASE [S.K.U.M.M.]  Fri, May 21, 2010 12:00:44pm

I wonder if any of the PC gamers here are as excited for Subversion as I am

93 Locker  Fri, May 21, 2010 12:01:30pm

re: #92 WindUpBird

I wonder if any of the PC gamers here are as excited for Subversion as I am

I hate you for saying that and not giving me a link for my instant gratification. Now I have to find out what that is… brb…

94 Obdicut  Fri, May 21, 2010 12:01:40pm

re: #92 WindUpBird

I love procedural generation, so I am.

95 Aceofwhat?  Fri, May 21, 2010 12:01:40pm

re: #87 Cato the Elder

But Rand is not a nickname. He legally changed it at some point.

yes, as opposed to having been née “Rand”.

96 Locker  Fri, May 21, 2010 12:04:30pm

re: #91 Obdicut

I’m a rope-arrow partisan.

Well they only have 3 on Steam and I don’t see a 1,2,3 bundle readily available so I might go for it.

97 WINDUPBIRD DISEASE [S.K.U.M.M.]  Fri, May 21, 2010 12:04:57pm

re: #91 Obdicut

I’m a rope-arrow partisan.

O_O

Really?!?!

I liked 3 a lot (Shalesbridge!!) but I thought the level design was inconsistent, and I think they tried to get a little too ambitious with the city stuff which felt half-baked. Thief 2 I think has the best level design of any stealth game I’ve ever played. Right now I’m getting chills thinking about the level Masks.

98 Sol Berdinowitz  Fri, May 21, 2010 12:06:36pm

re: #41 SpaceJesus

is rand paul named after ayn rand just out of curiosity

This comes up a lot, it is short for “Randall”.

99 WINDUPBIRD DISEASE [S.K.U.M.M.]  Fri, May 21, 2010 12:07:08pm

re: #94 Obdicut

I love procedural generation, so I am.

YAY

I want it for the subject matter. That game, if it’s what they claim it is, it’s literally the “dream game” that my SO and I used to talk about over beers in Portland brewpubs. The social-engineering/hacker/infiltration/espionage game with abstracted tron-like visuals and tons and tons of mood. It’s like they reached into my head and pulled it out and said “here! A present! We made it for you!”

100 WINDUPBIRD DISEASE [S.K.U.M.M.]  Fri, May 21, 2010 12:07:47pm

re: #93 Locker

here here here! [Link: www.rockpapershotgun.com…]

Apologies. :D

101 WINDUPBIRD DISEASE [S.K.U.M.M.]  Fri, May 21, 2010 12:08:27pm

From my above link:

As the character progresses (picking up a keycard to bypass the first locked door) we get to see more of the building. The target, we’re told, is a secure server room, which must be destroyed. Having explored a couple of rooms, and passed some non-hostile workers, our first agent stumbles into security guards, and is tasered. What this has demonstrated so far, however, is that this is a game about infiltration. Before the tasering our character uses a wall-scanner to see through into a section of the building. It’s just the toilets, but that’s useful in terms of knowing that it’s not the target area.

At this point Delay cheats to turn on all the cameras in the building. A normal game of Subversion would make this one of the many options for information-war and espionage you’d have available, and in this particular case we can now see where the server room is. The second agent enters the room and – not being able to elegantly bypass the locked door – shoots the lock off with an AK-47 (or a wireframe cone and a spray of lines, as we see it in the game.) The alarm is raised, workers flee, guards are on their way, of course, and so the agent lobs a bomb into the server room and completes the objective. Delay is at pains to point out that this kind of action will be kept to a minimum, and is really only included at all for demonstration purposes. Stealth, hacking, and hi-tech trickery is much more the nature of the game.

102 Obdicut  Fri, May 21, 2010 12:08:54pm

re: #97 WindUpBird

Thief 2 was too bright and lighted for me, and the mechanical enemies didn’t do it for me in the same way. Just a taste thing.

Thief 3 definitely was inconsistent, but I liked the city environment, and the plot, a lot.

103 Locker  Fri, May 21, 2010 12:09:14pm

Looking around for Thief (20 bucks for 3 on steam) I saw Beyond Good and Evil on gog for 10 bucks. If you never played it, I’d highly recommend it and it’s kid friendly.

[Link: www.gog.com…]

104 Olsonist  Fri, May 21, 2010 12:10:25pm

Umm, fuck the GOP. I’d like to be more eloquent but that pretty much sums it up.

105 Locker  Fri, May 21, 2010 12:11:10pm

re: #99 WindUpBird

YAY

I haven’t looked at it yet and you’ve already got me jazzed with this comment. I have really wanted a good Neuromancer type of game and now you’ve got me wondering.

106 WINDUPBIRD DISEASE [S.K.U.M.M.]  Fri, May 21, 2010 12:11:22pm

re: #102 Obdicut

See, Karras and his creepy little automatons just filled me with glee. :D

I HAVE HEARD…A MALFUNCTION…*clunkCLUNKclunkclunk* f-f-f-f-f-fFFFAILS TO UNDERSTAAAANDzzzooooorrrrp…. .

The mood in 3 was stellar. I loved how they got into the Pagans more. I hust sorta wish the game had less ambition in the spread of it and more focus on the levels. I wanted more like Shalesbridge Cradle, which is really about as good as games get. I’ve never been so fucking scared in a game. I literally screamed.

107 [deleted]  Fri, May 21, 2010 12:11:50pm
108 WINDUPBIRD DISEASE [S.K.U.M.M.]  Fri, May 21, 2010 12:12:05pm

re: #105 Locker

Did you see my link?

Yeah, I’m going to buy this game and I’m just going to be giggling like it’s Christmas morning.

109 Aceofwhat?  Fri, May 21, 2010 12:12:07pm

re: #99 WindUpBird

YAY

any chance that it comes out on a console?

110 Gus  Fri, May 21, 2010 12:13:41pm

Charles, we have a live one here.

See #107.

111 WINDUPBIRD DISEASE [S.K.U.M.M.]  Fri, May 21, 2010 12:14:32pm

re: #109 Aceofwhat?

any chance that it comes out on a console?

A SLIIIGHT chance. Introversion is a tiny tiny little indie studio. Their xbox version of Darwinia took years to come out on console…hell I’m not even sure if it’s out yet! But anyway, it’s not really the right environment to play an Introversion game. Introversion’s first game Uplink (a hacker RPG, basically) is the sort of game you huddle over your computer very late at night, with all the lights off, getting into the mood of breaking into big government computer networks. :D And I suspect Subversion will be the same way.

But if you have a Mac, it should be out on Mac!

112 Dancing along the light of day  Fri, May 21, 2010 12:14:56pm

re: #107 SpaceJesus

Nice catch.
I reported your comment.

113 WINDUPBIRD DISEASE [S.K.U.M.M.]  Fri, May 21, 2010 12:15:04pm

re: #110 Gus 802

Charles, we have a live one here.

See #107.

“STOP! We have a sneaksie!”

114 Dancing along the light of day  Fri, May 21, 2010 12:16:19pm

re: #113 WindUpBird

He’s dead, Jim.
Mr. Beaumont got him.

115 Locker  Fri, May 21, 2010 12:16:24pm

re: #111 WindUpBird

But if you have a Mac, it should be out on Mac!

How was Darwinia? I can get uplink/darwinia pack on steam for like 14 bucks.

116 dugmartsch  Fri, May 21, 2010 12:20:54pm

re: #24 Jaerik

This is my problem with Rand Paul. He’s combining the worst of Libertarianism with the worst of Republicanism. It’s directly out of a nightmare scenario.

117 Aceofwhat?  Fri, May 21, 2010 12:22:47pm

re: #111 WindUpBird

dang

118 wiffersnapper  Fri, May 21, 2010 12:24:24pm

They’re doing it wrong!

119 Olsonist  Fri, May 21, 2010 12:25:01pm

re: #116 dugmartsch

Who the hell are you? You’re new and you’re damn good!

120 dugmartsch  Fri, May 21, 2010 12:31:15pm

re: #119 Olsonist

Who the hell are you? You’re new and you’re damn good!

Thanks man :)

I’ve been lurking for a while. I came in when Charles started defending Van Jones against those truther allegations. And he’s still the only person, left, right, or center, who got the story right: that it was utter and complete bullshit and didn’t need any defense other than, Truthers are crazy and make things up and lie just because. Took me forever to get an account :)

Last updated: 2021-06-05 2:51 pm PDT

Cash.app Shop at amazon
Knees of Fire — the ChairProvided to YouTube by IDOL Knees of Fire · The Chair The Road to Hammer Junkie ℗ The Chair Released on: 2013-02-01 Auto-generated by YouTube.
Tweets: 3 •
Jack White - Taking Me Back (Gently) [Visualizer] Visualizer for Jack White’s new song “Taking Me Back (Gently)” Listen to “Taking Me Back” & “Taking Me Back (Gently)”: ffm.to Directed by Ben Chappell Additional art + editing: Jordan Williams, Brad Holland, Quinton Hickman, Rob Jones Follow Jack ...
Tweets: 2 •
Cross Bones Style — Jason Isbell, Amanda Shires Provided to YouTube by The Orchard Enterprises Cross Bones Style · Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit · Amanda Shires · Charlyn Marie Marshall Georgia Blue ℗ 2021 Southeastern Records marketed and distributed by Thirty Tigers Released on: 2021-10-15 ...
Tweets: 3 •
Jon Batiste - SING Ft. Tori Kelly Order my album ‘WE ARE: The Deluxe Edition’: jon-batiste.lnk.to Shop merch: jonbatistestore.com Director : Content Video Follow Jon:Instagram: jon-batiste.lnk.to Facebook: jon-batiste.lnk.to Twitter: jon-batiste.lnk.to Spotify: jon-batiste.lnk.to Apple Music: jon-batiste.lnk.to Amazon: jon-batiste.lnk.to Soundcloud: jon-batiste.lnk.to Pandora: jon-batiste.lnk.to YouTube Music: jon-batiste.lnk.to Official Website: ...
Tweets: 0 •
An Exercise in Rock & Roll Improvisation - Umphrey’s McGee: UMBowl 2021 Stew Art 10/09/21 UM kicked off night two of UMBowl 2021 with only the 7th “Stew Art” set ever, where fans texted in concepts and the band created new improvised music on the spot based off of the ideas presented on the ...
teleskiguy
1 week ago
Tweets: 3 •
BADBADNOTGOOD - Love Proceeding Taken from the album, Talk Memory. Out October 8th on XL Recordings and Innovative Leisure. Out now: badbadnotgood.ffm.to Many thanks to all our friends and the fabulous people who came together for this film. Written and Directed by Jamal ...
Tweets: 3 •
Is the Day of Reckoning Here for Apple? (Part 1 of 2)Had you been an investor in Apple stock back in the 1990's, you would now be sitting on a goldmine. There is a metric boatload of wha I could write about for the state of the ar of Smartphones in ...
Eric The Fruit Bat