Pope Benedict Condemns Belgium For Raiding Child Molesters
Here’s today’s genuine outrage, as Pope Benedict once again sides with child molesters within the Catholic Church against government officials trying to bring the molesters to justice: Pope deplores ‘sex abuse’ raids by Belgian police.
Pope Benedict has joined mounting Vatican criticism of raids by Belgian police investigating alleged child sex abuse, calling them “deplorable”.
In a message to Belgian bishops, the pope expressed solidarity “in this moment of sadness”.
Several buildings were searched in raids targeting a retired archbishop and the graves of two prelates.
Belgium’s justice minister has responded to the criticism robustly, saying normal procedures were followed. Stefaan De Clerck defended the police action, in a series of TV interviews on Sunday, and said the investigation was legitimate.
“The bishops were treated completely normally during the raid on the archdiocese and it is false to say that they received no food or drink,” he said.
Mr De Clerck said the Vatican’s reaction had been excessive as it was based on false information.
Prosecutors said the action concerned alleged “abuse of minors committed by a certain number of Church figures”.