Swiss Bank Freezes Assange’s Assets

World • Views: 27,708

The Swiss post office’s bank, PostFinance, has frozen the accounts of Wikileaks founder Julian Assange.

The whistle-blowing website says the freeze includes a defence fund and personal assets worth 31,000 euros.

Wikileaks has published hundreds of secret US diplomatic cables, angering the US government and triggering moves by several companies including PayPal and Amazon to end their services.

And a European Arrest Warrant, issued November 2 (as we reported here), has now reached Britain:

Sources have told the BBC that the European Arrest Warrant for Mr Assange arrived on Monday afternoon.

Sweden first issued an arrest warrant for Mr Assange on 18 November but it was invalidated by a procedural error. A new warrant was issued on 2 December.

1 theheat  Mon, Dec 6, 2010 10:22:07am

But is it common to blurt out the status of an account holder like this? I thought even a creep like Assange would have the benefit of some sort of privacy, just out of policy.

2 Kragar  Mon, Dec 6, 2010 10:22:25am

No secrets please, Mr. Assange.

3 Killgore Trout  Mon, Dec 6, 2010 10:22:36am

As quick as a limpet!

4 Jeff In Ohio  Mon, Dec 6, 2010 10:23:09am

Uh oh, looks like the New World Order is putting down it's heel.

5 b_sharp  Mon, Dec 6, 2010 10:23:34am

I froze my assets once - they fell off.

6 Mostly sane, most of the time.  Mon, Dec 6, 2010 10:23:45am

re: #1 theheat

It appears they didn't. Wikileaks said the account was frozen.

7 wrenchwench  Mon, Dec 6, 2010 10:24:47am

re: #6 EmmmieG

It appears they didn't. Wikileaks said the account was frozen.

That's a start. Now they should share the locations of all other accounts.

8 b_sharp  Mon, Dec 6, 2010 10:29:00am

I'm sick, I have a cough, and a fever, my head hurts, I only got 2 hours of sleep, I'm bored and I'm beginning to whine.

What should I do?

9 Kragar  Mon, Dec 6, 2010 10:31:04am

re: #8 b_sharp

What should I do?

Nyquil and bed.

10 Killgore Trout  Mon, Dec 6, 2010 10:31:56am

re: #8 b_sharp

Hulu is a great way to kill a few hours.

11 Obdicut  Mon, Dec 6, 2010 10:32:04am

re: #9 Kragar (Proud to be Kafir)

Nyquil and nyquil and bed.

12 Mark Winter  Mon, Dec 6, 2010 10:32:27am

re: #1 theheat

He uses this account publicly to ask for donations.

13 b_sharp  Mon, Dec 6, 2010 10:34:09am

re: #10 Killgore Trout

Hulu is a great way to kill a few hours.

It won't stream to Canada.

I'm going to bed. If I survive I'll BBL.

14 Shiplord Kirel  Mon, Dec 6, 2010 10:34:59am

......Russian gulag freezes Assange's ass

15 sagehen  Mon, Dec 6, 2010 10:38:21am

re: #8 b_sharp

Chicken soup.

16 Brother Holy Cruise Missile of Mild Acceptance  Mon, Dec 6, 2010 10:38:37am

And according to TPM Assange says he has a "poison pill" dump if he's arrested. Sounds like black mail charges may need to be added to that warrant. As someone said, who needs James Bond.

17 Obdicut  Mon, Dec 6, 2010 10:38:50am

I wonder why he claimed he was living there. That's not the sort of thing you can really expect to get away with. The Swiss are pretty touchy about residency.

18 Brother Holy Cruise Missile of Mild Acceptance  Mon, Dec 6, 2010 10:39:19am

re: #8 b_sharp

the new advil congestion relief, doesn't just break up real congestion but helps with the swelling in the sinuses as well.

19 Buck  Mon, Dec 6, 2010 10:41:39am

I hope they will release ALL of the records they have for him, and his company account.

I am sure he wouldn't mind.

20 ErikJ76  Mon, Dec 6, 2010 10:42:12am

If the Swiss banks actually would freeze every account where the account holder had violated their rules....

That would be fun.

21 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Mon, Dec 6, 2010 10:44:02am

re: #11 Obdicut

Nyquil and nyquil and bed.

Actually, it should be "bed, then nyquil and nyquil". Otherwise you'll find out why nyquil is called the "nighttime sniffling sneezing coughing aching stuffy head, how the hell did I end up on the kitchen floor medicine".

22 Varek Raith  Mon, Dec 6, 2010 10:44:15am

re: #20 ErikJ76

That would be fun.

Yeah.
The US government is pressuring them in a *nudge, wink wink, nod* kind of way.

IMO.

23 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Mon, Dec 6, 2010 10:46:01am

re: #22 Varek Raith

The swiss bank has been making deals to share info with the IRS going back a few years now.

24 kirkspencer  Mon, Dec 6, 2010 10:55:23am

From what I can tell, Assange isn't a "information wants to be free" sort of guy. He's more of the sort who thinks the wrong sorts are in charge and he can act to get them out so the right sorts get in.

Something he holds different from several other such revolutionaries (tea party, bircher, weathermen, whatever) is that he's not solely aimed at the US. He's put several other nations and organizations in his sights. In the process, of course, he's put himself in several sights as well.

His operational plan is simple. Authoritarian organizations react to exposure by increasing secrecy. Increased secrecy works against effective communication, making the organization less agile, less flexible -- giving it a slower OODA loop. This in turn will both make it more obviously bad to The People and make it more vulnerable to overturning.

Any and all actions should probably keep his intent in mind. To some extent he's right, so part of the question is whether the increased communication barriers are worth the cost.

25 Stanghazi  Mon, Dec 6, 2010 11:08:10am

Anything happening with the Prop 8 statements? I can't listen here.

26 Obdicut  Mon, Dec 6, 2010 11:20:29am

re: #25 Stanley Sea

I can't watch it either. Can't find a synopsis or anything.

27 Stanghazi  Mon, Dec 6, 2010 11:24:02am

re: #26 Obdicut

I can't watch it either. Can't find a synopsis or anything.

[Link: emptywheel.firedoglake.com...]

Try this

(love the graphic on the page)

28 Brother Holy Cruise Missile of Mild Acceptance  Mon, Dec 6, 2010 11:34:24am

i highly recommend the Prop 8 Trial Tracker they are following it and blogged the original trial.

29 reloadingisnotahobby  Mon, Dec 6, 2010 11:42:43am

re: #18 Dreggas

I've had this cold for three weeks +!!
I'll try anything short of Jim Beam at work!

30 Bob Dillon  Mon, Dec 6, 2010 11:50:40am

"Swiss bank PostFinance has frozen Julian Assange’s account, because he violated their rules and falsely claimed to be living in Geneva."

I had a Swiss account for over 20 years - living in various places in SEAsia and I disclosed this and kept the bank notified of address changes. I don't know the specific rules now but ya gotta do something really bonehead to have your account questioned. I got nothing but the best service from them worldwide by phone.

31 Charleston Chew  Mon, Dec 6, 2010 11:55:16am

re: #24 kirkspencer

I don't think he has that much of a well-thought-out agenda. He strikes me as more of a stir-the-pot anarchist.

Something he holds different from several other such revolutionaries ... is that he's not solely aimed at the US. He's put several other nations and organizations in his sights.

I think he's more of an opportunist. He sets his sights on any organization who's dirt falls into his lap. What bothers me about this is that the freer societies are more vulnerable to this and the police states are less likely to leak any info, giving a distorted view of who the really bad people in the world are.

I really don't think he's thought things out on this level. Wikileaks is more like kids leaving a flaming bag of poo on the doorstep of a mean teacher, only on the grandest scale ever.

32 _remembertonyc  Mon, Dec 6, 2010 11:55:39am

no friends + no money = no future

33 Kragar  Mon, Dec 6, 2010 11:56:12am

I wonder when Assange will threaten to release Swiss documents unless his accounts are unfrozen.

34 Charleston Chew  Mon, Dec 6, 2010 11:56:38am

re: #32 _remembertonyc

no friends + no money = no future

Hallmark's worst graduation card ever.

35 sagehen  Mon, Dec 6, 2010 12:14:28pm

I'm watching the Prop 8 arguments (C-Span I).

Ted Olsen is brilliant. That is all.

36 Obdicut  Mon, Dec 6, 2010 12:15:57pm

re: #35 sagehen

I'm just reading it, but he certainly seems to have dived in like a raptor.

37 Bob Dillon  Mon, Dec 6, 2010 12:28:13pm

re: #31 Charleston Chew

The Internet, like the Colt Revolver, has been called The Great Equalizer.

Mr. Assange seems to be reasonably astute with computers and the Internet and like some geeks seems to lack skills in other important areas. Logic, critical thinking and social skills come to mind let alone his displays of symptoms indicating possible lack of full prefrontal cortex functionality.

He does not appear to be nuts - but he take actions that parallel Darwin Award winners.

38 kirkspencer  Mon, Dec 6, 2010 1:14:07pm

re: #31 Charleston Chew

That's what I used to think. Then I went looking for what he has written and said in interviews. Seriously, go looking. You'll find things like these (cryptome copy of two 2006 essays by Assange).

Seriously, thinking of him as a popinjay is giving him too little credit. Consider, just for one example, that he's a major contributor to the rubberhose filesystem. (see this iq.org info paper for explanation.)

39 Usually refered to as anyways  Mon, Dec 6, 2010 1:22:23pm

re: #38 kirkspencer

Interesting info, thank you.

40 Charleston Chew  Mon, Dec 6, 2010 1:37:22pm

re: #38 kirkspencer

Thanks for the links.

I don't doubt his ability to put a lot of thought into things. But I judge him by his actions, which seem to consist mainly of dumping a lot of information, all of it probably obtained by intel analyst Pvt Manning who happened to have the combustible combination of clearance and a beef. I see no grand scheme on Assange's part. He got lucky and a truckload of data off SIPRNET fell into his lap and he passed it on to the world.

And I'm sure he's really good with computers, but I've know plenty of brilliant computer people who haven't a clue in the real world.

41 kirkspencer  Mon, Dec 6, 2010 1:45:36pm

re: #40 Charleston Chew

Thanks for the links.

Except wikileaks has done a lot more than just the US. The organization got a amnesty international award for the Kenyan expose. Their release of the Iceland Banks data was a major factor in that mess and cleanup.

Everyone acts like Assange is just Manning's mouthpiece, and just stumbled into view. Whether you support or oppose him, it's best to take a hard look at him, his background and his organization.

LGF User's Guide RSS Feeds

The Reviews Are In: Conservatives Say the DNC Was ‘Disaster’ for the GOPIn Which Tea Party Republicans and Neocons agree that the Democratic Convention message was better. National Review editor Jonah Goldberg: Why this convention is better: It's about loving America. GOP convention was about loving Trump. If you didn't love Trump, ...
1 hour, 5 minutes ago
Likes: 0
Constance Wu on Hollywood’s White Savior Problem: ‘Our Heroes Don’t Look Like Matt Damon’ Constance Wu has had it with Hollywood's white savior complex. The Fresh Off the Boat actress and two-time Television Critics Association Awards nominee posted a pointed letter to Twitter Friday, in which she criticized the whitewashing of Chinese history ...
1 hour, 30 minutes ago
Likes: 0
Fox Station Photographer Reportedly Fired After Facebook Post on Michael Brown’s Mom A St. Louis journalist has reportedly been fired after making offensive Facebook comments about the mother of Michael Brown, the teenager whose shooting death ignited weeks of emotional protests in Missouri and led, eventually, to the birth of the ...
1 hour, 41 minutes ago
Likes: 0
Donald Trump Is ‘Starting to Agree’ Hillary Clinton Should Be Locked Up For a major party’s presidential nominee to suggest that his chief opponent should be incarcerated appears to have no precedent over the last century of U.S. political campaigns. But that’s nothing unusual for Trump. He broke new ground earlier ...
Likes: 0
Pope Visits Auschwitz Deathcamp During Poland Visit Pope Francis arrived on Friday at Auschwitz, the notorious former German Nazi concentration camp in Poland, in a historic visit to pay tribute to the more than 1 million people, mostly Jews, who lost their lives there during World ...
Likes: 0
One San Diego Police Officer Killed, Second Hurt One of two police officers shot in San Diego early Friday has died, authorities said. "It is with a very sad heart that we announce the death of one of our officers tonight. Pray for his family," the San ...
Likes: 0
• Eumir Deodato - Rhapsody in Blue• 1973 LP •Great funky cover of this Gershwin classic. From Deodato 2 CTI LP, another classic album.
Likes: 0
David Crosby - Behind the Scenes of Lighthouse Behind the scenes of David Crosby's new record "Lighthouse". Lighthouse is available for pre-order on CD and Vinyl now, and will be available October 21st worldwide. Pre-order digital: smarturl.itPre-order physical CD: bit.lyPre-order vinyl: bit.lyPre-order Amazon: smarturl.it Produced by Michael ...
Likes: 0
Eva Atmatzidou - Rondat - Acoustic Guitar Music downloads and Guitar Tabs available at: candyrat.com itunes: itunes.apple.comApple Music: itun.esAmazon: amzn.com Composed and performed by Eva Atmatzidou.Recorded by Vangelis Karapetros (Studio Puzzle).Filmed by Eleftheria Anthi. Visit Eva Atmatzidou at : Website: atmatzidou.grFacebook profile: el-gr.facebook.comFacebook page: facebook.com ...
Likes: 0
Live Corpse Flower Cam at NYBGA corpe flower is set to bloom....uh, sometime... and here is the live feed. Quite the rarity. Quite the aroma. Watch. Don't blink.
nines09