Hawaii Governor Pushes Back Against Birthers

US News • Views: 25,410

Hawaii’s new governor, Neil Abercrombie, says he’s going to confront the Birther delusion head-on, and good for him. It’s long past time to kill this mind-numbingly stupid right wing meme.

HONOLULU — Gov. Neil Abercrombie of Hawaii, who befriended President Obama’s parents when they were university students here, has been in office for less than three weeks. But he is so incensed over “birthers” — the conspiracy theorists who assert that Mr. Obama was born in Kenya and was thus not eligible to become president — that he is seeking ways to change state policy to allow him to release additional proof that the president was born in Honolulu in 1961.

“It’s an insult to his mother and to his father, and I knew his mother and father; they were my friends, and I have an emotional interest in that,” Governor Abercrombie said in a telephone interview late Thursday. “It’s an emotional insult. It is disrespectful to the president; it is disrespectful to the office.”

(h/t Irenicum.)

1 Political Atheist  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 6:36:50pm

I think I like this guy.

2 Henchman Ghazi-808  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 6:39:55pm

I was just reading this. There is a touch of resentment from people of Hawaii that they're looked upon as not really from the US. Abercrombie should bludgeon the kooks.

When you talk of going 'to the states' an old timer is likely to remind of you all the vet cemetery's.

3 albusteve  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 6:41:10pm

should be interesting to say the least...I wonder exactly what will happen next, as in what more can be done with it?

4 Wozza Matter?  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 6:41:17pm

A "well played, sir" to the new Governor of Hawaii.

I shall leave you all with my favourite Christmas song.

5 reine.de.tout  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 6:42:16pm

Good news, time to put this to rest. I know people who KNOW this is idiocy, yet they will continue to bring it up - it needs to just go away; if they have issues with the Obama administration, then focus on those, the birth certificate stuff is a distraction and just silly.

6 Henchman Ghazi-808  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 6:42:39pm

That's why it's proper to say 'going to the mainland' when traveling.

Also, Hawaii went 72% Obama and cleared out the GOP. There's one state office help by the GOP right now. Queen Nutter Taitz better not poke that stick any more.

In fact, I'm getting really irritated by it as well.

7 reine.de.tout  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 6:43:06pm

re: #2 BigPapa

Someone asked me a question once - Do you have any Hawaiian money in your wallet?

Perplexed, I was.
Until the obvious was pointed out to me, duh!

8 albusteve  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 6:45:58pm

re: #5 reine.de.tout

I wish these same people were as interested in Afghanistan, or energy independence, or or ....friggin loonies and they take themselves right out of the game

9 Aceofwhat?  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 6:46:09pm

Alright, all of this food talk has made me break out the Camembert.

10 albusteve  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 6:48:17pm

re: #9 Aceofwhat?

Alright, all of this food talk has made me break out the Camembert.

I just knocked back half a can of Kroger honey roasted peanuts...life is good!

11 brookly red  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 6:48:41pm

/ Hah! funny how they waited till Christmas eve when they thought no one would be watching...

12 Dancing along the light of day  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 6:50:20pm

LOL! The birther meme is so old.

13 albusteve  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 6:50:24pm

is there a longer, more informative birth cert that has not been released?...is that what he's talking about?

14 albusteve  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 6:51:25pm

re: #12 Floral Giraffe

LOL! The birther meme is so old.

there is still the book and the movie...stay tuned

15 PhillyPretzel  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 6:55:36pm

re: #12 Floral Giraffe
I agree. [Link: littlegreenfootballs.com...]

16 albusteve  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 6:58:52pm

blowback against Noahs Ark theme park is beginning....

"Noah managed to launch the first ark without a government subsidy and these folks ought to do the same," Barry Lynn, executive director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State,

"This invites religious ministries to demand similar subsidies for everything they do and use the same argument they're using now,"

Read more: [Link: www.foxnews.com...]

17 brookly red  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:00:37pm

[Link: www.google.com...]

coincidence?

18 Dark_Falcon  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:00:52pm

re: #12 Floral Giraffe

LOL! The birther meme is so old.

Old, tired and worn out. Hopefully, Gov. Abercrombie is able to help kill it.

19 albusteve  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:00:55pm

whoa!...somebody is on my roof!
cya

20 brookly red  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:03:17pm

re: #19 albusteve

whoa!...somebody is on my roof!
cya

don't shoot it just, Oooh! a coal delivery...

21 Mr Pancakes  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:03:27pm

re: #19 albusteve

whoa!...somebody is on my roof!
cya

Your leg has arrived!

22 Varek Raith  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:06:40pm

Because I'm eeevil.

23 Political Atheist  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:08:57pm

Dragon_Lady is learning the Ipad. Finally got it to grab the music. Tell ya what, i tunes, Joe Satriani and Bose earphones is one powerful combination.

24 Political Atheist  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:10:00pm

A toast to all logged in this fine Christmas eve!

25 Mr Pancakes  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:11:21pm

re: #23 Rightwingconspirator

Even without headphones dude.

26 Political Atheist  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:12:15pm

re: #25 Mr Pancakes

Got that cranked up!

27 Mr Pancakes  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:13:26pm

re: #24 Rightwingconspirator

A toast to all logged in this fine Christmas eve!

Same to you Merry Christmas to all... WUB and Obdi too!

28 Mr Pancakes  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:14:18pm

re: #26 Rightwingconspirator

Got that cranked up!

So do I .... I'm getting the evil stink eye from my wife.

29 Aceofwhat?  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:15:52pm

re: #24 Rightwingconspirator

A toast to all logged in this fine Christmas eve!

Here's to you, RWC.

Goodnight and merry Christmas to all, even you soulless non-Christian heathens/

30 Political Atheist  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:16:48pm

re: #28 Mr Pancakes

So do I ... I'm getting the evil stink eye from my wife.

Heh, and that brings us back full circle to the headphones. Srsly I could can't thank my neice enough for last years gift of Bose headphones.

31 Varek Raith  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:17:41pm

re: #29 Aceofwhat?

Here's to you, RWC.

Goodnight and merry Christmas to all, even you soulless non-Christian heathens/

32 Mr Pancakes  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:17:48pm

re: #30 Rightwingconspirator

No kiddin....... I will seek them out.

33 Varek Raith  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:19:48pm
34 Political Atheist  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:23:47pm

re: #30 Rightwingconspirator

could can't

Wow. Sierra Nevada Celebration ale is quite...
strong.

35 Henchman Ghazi-808  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:25:09pm

I'd like to recommend a good bottle of wine.

36 Dancing along the light of day  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:25:53pm

re: #24 Rightwingconspirator

A toast to all logged in this fine Christmas eve!

*clink*

37 Mr Pancakes  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:26:28pm

re: #34 Rightwingconspirator

Wow. Sierra Nevada Celebration ale is quite...
strong.

So is Mogen David 20/20...... Shalom.

38 Mr Pancakes  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:28:06pm

re: #35 BigPapa

I'd like to recommend a good bottle of wine.

"Two buck chuck" at Trader Joe's is fantastic for the price.

39 brookly red  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:30:27pm

re: #37 Mr Pancakes

So is Mogen David 20/20... Shalom.

I just came across some vintage 77 boxed with some 8 tracks...

40 Mr Pancakes  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:31:10pm

re: #39 brookly red

I just came across some vintage 77 boxed with some 8 tracks...

Ebay

41 brookly red  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:31:21pm

re: #39 brookly red

I just came across some vintage 77 boxed with some 8 tracks...

it was a very good year...

42 goddamnedfrank  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:31:28pm

re: #18 Dark_Falcon

Old, tired and worn out. Hopefully, Gov. Abercrombie is able to help kill it.

If Republican Gov. Linda Lingle couldn't kill the rumor, then Gov. Hippiecrombie doesn't stand a chance. Dude looks like Steve Wozniak fucked a flower shop.

43 Dancing along the light of day  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:32:07pm

re: #38 Mr Pancakes

Try the "kono: wine of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc at $7.99.
I give it as a gift.
They think it's a $20 bottle!

44 brookly red  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:32:46pm

re: #43 Floral Giraffe

Try the "kono: wine of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc at $7.99.
I give it as a gift.
They think it's a $20 bottle!

well they used to anyway...

45 Political Atheist  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:33:09pm

Antoine Dufour & Tommy Gauthier

46 Henchman Ghazi-808  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:33:31pm

No Trader Joe's in Hawaii. But i dig on the Costco.

47 Dark_Falcon  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:33:34pm

re: #42 goddamnedfrank

A man can dream, Frank. I've disliked the whole 'birther' deal from very early on, for which I credit LGF in general and Charles in specific. The sooner that meme is squashed, the better.

48 Dancing along the light of day  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:35:16pm

re: #44 brookly red

well they used to anyway...

Shhh. They don't know till they go buy one. Then they're happy it's cheap!

49 brookly red  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:35:54pm

re: #48 Floral Giraffe

Shhh. They don't know till they go buy one. Then they're happy it's cheap!

oy!

50 Dancing along the light of day  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:36:10pm

re: #46 BigPapa

Costco has it's benefits. If you have storage space!

51 Mr Pancakes  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:36:25pm

re: #43 Floral Giraffe

Try the "kono: wine of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc at $7.99.
I give it as a gift.
They think it's a $20 bottle!

Mmmmm ........ I'll give you my address.

All kidding aside....... as you and I know .....price is not an indicator of quality.

If you get a chance....... check out these wine movies..... Bottle Shock... and Sideways.

52 Varek Raith  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:37:26pm

re: #50 Floral Giraffe

Costco has it's benefits. If you have storage space!

And a fork lift.
:P

53 goddamnedfrank  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:37:37pm

re: #47 Dark_Falcon

That meme feeds on attention. It's like the Andromeda Strain, the more energy you put into fighting it the more it grows.

54 Mr Pancakes  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:38:50pm

re: #50 Floral Giraffe

Costco has it's benefits. If you have storage space!

Where else can you by a gallon of pickled artichoke hearts?

55 brookly red  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:39:56pm

re: #54 Mr Pancakes

Where else can you by a gallon of pickled artichoke hearts?

I once saw some people pack and entire skid of mac & cheese into a van...

56 Killgore Trout  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:40:23pm

Raymond Hill
Magnums (1.5 liters) sell today at Trader Joes and other fine retailers for 7-8 bucks. Lovely stuff.

57 Mr Pancakes  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:40:26pm

re: #55 brookly red

I once saw some people pack and entire skid of mac & cheese into a van...

One skid?

58 Henchman Ghazi-808  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:40:41pm

NZ sauv blancs are a great buy, so are pinots. Cheap due to currency, new world, great buy.

return it to foodie: tomorrow I cook lamb roast in rosemary/lemon/garlic
fingerling potatoes with caramelized onions and balsamic
Northstar merlot
spam

59 brookly red  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:41:05pm

re: #57 Mr Pancakes

One skid?

one Econoline...

60 Killgore Trout  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:42:04pm

re: #58 BigPapa

return it to foodie: tomorrow I cook lamb roast in rosemary/lemon/garlic
fingerling potatoes with caramelized onions and balsamic
Northstar merlot
spam

I added some dried Shitakes to my lamb marinade last night. Highly recommended.

61 Mr Pancakes  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:42:26pm

re: #59 brookly red

one Econoline...

In my day the Econolines would hold two skids.

62 brookly red  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:42:58pm

re: #60 Killgore Trout

I added some dried Shitakes to my lamb marinade last night. Highly recommended.

remember to mention shitakes are mushrooms ;)

63 brookly red  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:43:51pm

re: #61 Mr Pancakes

In my day the Econolines would hold two skids.

yeah but in this state you can't strap 8 kids to the roof...

64 Mr Pancakes  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:44:41pm

re: #63 brookly red

yeah but in this state you can't strap 8 kids to the roof...

Ah ok...... Bloomberg..... got cha.

65 Henchman Ghazi-808  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:44:44pm

tonight its Filipino style: roast pig on a farm in Puna. I'll be the only haole there!

66 Henchman Ghazi-808  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:45:23pm

re: #60 Killgore Trout

I added some dried Shitakes to my lamb marinade last night. Highly recommended.

I saw that and made me really think about it... still 'chewin' on it.

67 brookly red  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:46:24pm

re: #64 Mr Pancakes

Ah ok... Bloomberg... got cha.

just wait till he's president and your trying to hide salt packets in the hem of grandma's skirts...

68 Mr Pancakes  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:47:45pm

re: #66 BigPapa

I saw that and made me really think about it... still 'chewin' on it.

Chewing on a dried Shitake? I'll just get the regular ones then..... more tender.

69 Henchman Ghazi-808  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:49:06pm

re: #68 Mr Pancakes

Chewing on a dried Shitake? I'll just get the regular ones then... more tender.

Har har.. only worth .67 ding but tis the season. Here ya go!

70 Mr Pancakes  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:49:08pm

re: #67 brookly red

Dude...... I have sequestered many gallons of trans fat...... just in case.

71 Killgore Trout  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:49:48pm

re: #66 BigPapa

I saw that and made me really think about it... still 'chewin' on it.

Give it a try some time. It's really fantastic.

72 brookly red  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:50:47pm

re: #70 Mr Pancakes

Dude... I have sequestered many gallons of trans fat... just in case.

fine, you will have french fries but no salt... think about it.

73 Henchman Ghazi-808  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:51:29pm

re: #71 Killgore Trout

Give it a try some time. It's really fantastic.

Yeah I'm really intrigued and am down with the fungi... I suppose I should reconstitute first. Wine?

74 What, me worry?  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:51:46pm

re: #42 goddamnedfrank

When he was a Congressman, he had a strong civil rights record, but he's wishy washy on Israel. While other Congress members consistently support Israel, he's about 50/50.

[Link: www.govtrack.us...]

75 Mr Pancakes  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:52:12pm

re: #72 brookly red

fine, you will have french fries but no salt... think about it.

Hey...... I live next to the ocean..... I'll pan for salt.

76 brookly red  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:53:54pm

re: #75 Mr Pancakes

Hey... I live next to the ocean... I'll pan for salt.

they will seeee you

77 Mr Pancakes  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:55:41pm

re: #76 brookly red

they will seee you

They'll just see a pancake floating in the surf.......

78 Killgore Trout  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:56:08pm

re: #73 BigPapa

You could. I just chopped then finely while dry and tossed them into my usual marinade. Worcestershire, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, assorted herbs, salt, pepper. A splash of wine sounds nice.

79 brookly red  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:57:57pm

re: #77 Mr Pancakes

They'll just see a pancake floating in the surf...

the gulls will get cha... better to stock up now. I hide mine in jars labeled anthrax... they just push em aside.

80 Henchman Ghazi-808  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:59:35pm

re: #78 Killgore Trout

Hm... I just do a olive oil/lemon/massive fresh rosemary and oregano/garlic/pepper. I think I'll swap lemon for shitake.

81 brookly red  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 7:59:39pm

good night good folks

82 Mr Pancakes  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 8:00:26pm

re: #81 brookly red

good night good folks

I hope Santa is good to you....... niterz.

83 KingKenrod  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 8:00:38pm

Gov. Abercrombie gets no pat on the back from me.

If I lived in Hawaii, I'd be pretty upset my new governor wants to waste his time using the power of his office to help a political ally confront the obvious delusions of others. It's a waste of time, and if the gov wasn't a pal of the president's family, it wouldn't be happening at all, which makes it borderline corrupt in my view.

84 Mr Pancakes  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 8:01:48pm

re: #83 KingKenrod

Gov. Abercrombie gets no pat on the back from me.

If I lived in Hawaii I'd be pretty stoked.

85 Henchman Ghazi-808  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 8:06:14pm

re: #83 KingKenrod

Gov. Abercrombie gets no pat on the back from me.

I've lived here 6 years and the amount of requests the office has received are ludicrous. It has cost the state $. Many times public office is public posture and speeches: this is one of those times.

86 Killgore Trout  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 8:11:31pm

re: #80 BigPapa

Sounds good. Let me know how it comes out.

87 What, me worry?  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 8:18:29pm

re: #85 BigPapa

One of Governor Charlie Crist's last moves was to pardon Jim Morrison for his arrest in Miami in 1969. He has been roundly criticized for it by nearly every politician and news outlet in Florida, mostly because with all that needs to be done in this state, it seemed pretty silly. And The Doors themselves are not amused.

[Link: www.aolnews.com...]

88 Henchman Ghazi-808  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 8:21:13pm

re: #87 marjoriemoon

Pardoning Jim Morrison was very unimportant.

Ridiculing birthers and shutting down the incessant queries is more important and worth doing. I doubt Abercrombie needs to exert too much influence from his bully pulpit.

I hope he ridicules them incessantly.

89 What, me worry?  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 8:29:41pm

re: #88 BigPapa

Pardoning Jim Morrison was very unimportant.

I hope he ridicules them incessantly.

Ok, I'm confused, but it may be the nog.

Didn't you say above he was wasting time and money condemning the birthers?

90 SanFranciscoZionist  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 8:34:13pm

I can understand this guy's anger, but the truth is, I think Lingle's stance--this is dumb, I've told you it's not true, go away--was better. These hard-core believers will never be satisfied, they will never get over this, nothing will ever convince them.

And he's already said he was a friend of the family!!! In on the conspiracy no doubt!!

91 SanFranciscoZionist  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 8:34:59pm

re: #65 BigPapa

Yum!

92 austin_blue  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 8:36:21pm

Good evening, all!

My Christmas wish is that all the nirthers get nogged by an object *much* larger than an egg...

93 Henchman Ghazi-808  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 8:36:58pm

re: #89 marjoriemoon

Ok, I'm confused, but it may be the nog.

Didn't you say above he was wasting time and money condemning the birthers?

gimme summa dat nog! That was KingKenrod saying that, I quoted him.

I don't think it will take much time/effort on Abercrombie's part to denounce the idiocy and just about the whole state is sick of it. The incessant requests were wasting state $ and it touches a sentiment in Hawaii that they are not considered real Americans. I don't share that last sentiment but hope Abercrombie ridicules any birther idiocy from his bully pulpit.

94 Henchman Ghazi-808  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 8:39:03pm

re: #91 SanFranciscoZionist

Yum!

Yes it will be if Wifey could finish the damn presents. Hey... you're not of the piggly persuasion... you cheatin? I won't tell.

95 freetoken  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 8:44:25pm
96 What, me worry?  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 8:46:15pm

re: #93 BigPapa

gimme summa dat nog! That was KingKenrod saying that, I quoted him.

Ah ok. I was talking about your comment 85, but I see you're talking about requests for info on Obama...

Mmmm good nog :)

97 austin_blue  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 8:48:04pm

re: #95 freetoken

[Video]

Not a Xian, but that was lovely. Thanks.

98 Dark_Falcon  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 8:48:20pm

re: #92 austin_blue

Good evening, all!

Would smacking them upside the head with a wet mackerel work for you?

99 austin_blue  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 8:50:24pm

re: #98 Dark_Falcon

Would smacking them upside the head with a wet mackerel work for you?

How big is the mackerel?

[Link: www.dimensionsguide.com...]

You betcha!

100 Mr Pancakes  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 8:54:39pm

re: #99 austin_blue

How big is the mackerel?

[Link: www.dimensionsguide.com...]

You betcha!

Most people think of mackerel as a bait fish.......I chomp it.

101 SanFranciscoZionist  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 8:56:07pm

re: #94 BigPapa

Not of the piggly persuasion...but I fractured a regulation or two in my rebellious youth.

;)

102 austin_blue  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 8:57:37pm

re: #100 Mr Pancakes

Most people think of mackerel as a bait fish...I chomp it.

Grilled with a little ponzu, parsley, and preserved lemon peel?

Oh. My. Gaw.

103 Mr Pancakes  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 8:58:21pm

re: #102 austin_blue

Grilled with a little ponzu, parsley, and preserved lemon peel?

Oh. My. Gaw.

Works for me......

104 Mr Pancakes  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 9:03:27pm

re: #102 austin_blue

Grilled with a little ponzu, parsley, and preserved lemon peel?

Oh. My. Gaw.

Raw would work with that concoction.......

105 Holidays are Family Fun Time  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 9:09:22pm

Happy Christmas Eve/Good Evening all!

We opened presents tonite, I GOT A KINDLE!

nah, nah, nah, NAH, nah.

Now, I just have to learn to use it. :0

106 Dancing along the light of day  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 9:12:17pm

Merry Christmas to all.
Or festivus, or whatever you celebrate.
Laters.

107 goddamnedfrank  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 9:12:21pm

re: #90 SanFranciscoZionist

This is what I was trying to get at above, you can't engage the crazy without in some small way also legitimizing it.

108 Mr Pancakes  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 9:12:29pm

re: #105 ggt

Happy Christmas Eve/Good Evening all!

We opened presents tonite, I GOT A KINDLE!

nah, nah, nah, NAH, nah.

Now, I just have to learn to use it. :0

Cool dude....... I think you just read.

109 Mr Pancakes  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 9:13:06pm

re: #106 Floral Giraffe

Merry Christmas to all.
Or festivus, or whatever you celebrate.
Laters.

Same to you FG!

110 goddamnedfrank  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 9:14:50pm

re: #100 Mr Pancakes

Most people think of mackerel as a bait fish...I chomp it.

I love it too, but try to stay away from King Mackerel, it's loaded with mercury.

111 Dancing along the light of day  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 9:15:07pm

re: #107 goddamnedfrank

Merry Christmas to you!

112 Holidays are Family Fun Time  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 9:15:51pm

Holy Mackerel! Mercury, Batman!

113 krypto  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 9:16:10pm

I doubt that releasing more information will stop the birther claims. They never had a shred of real evidence in the first place. Instead they follow exactly that same false reasoning, where denying all evidence that they are wrong is passed off as an argument that they are therefore right.

Releasing more evidence will probably just lead them to claim that this part or that of the new evidence is fake, and then equate a specious claim along those lines as proof that therefore Obama was born in Kenya.

114 Mr Pancakes  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 9:16:34pm

re: #110 goddamnedfrank

Mercury is a condiment no?

115 Holidays are Family Fun Time  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 9:17:07pm

re: #113 krypto

I've learned to ignore it. I wish the MSM would also.

116 Holidays are Family Fun Time  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 9:17:42pm

Holy Condiments! Batman.

117 Holidays are Family Fun Time  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 9:18:46pm

Mercury is still a planet, right?

118 prairiefire  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 9:18:55pm

Merry Christmas or winter solstice, festivus...I hope all the lizards have a good time.

119 Mr Pancakes  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 9:20:21pm

re: #117 ggt

Mercury is still a planet, right?

It is.... Pluto is in dispute.

120 Dark_Falcon  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 9:27:38pm

re: #113 krypto

Agreed, the correct answer is just to ignore them. Don't respond to their request, don't interview them, don't even act like you notice them.

121 freetoken  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 9:41:00pm

re: #97 austin_blue

That was by Peter White, whose guitar is very easy to listen to... here is another from his 1997 album:

122 Holidays are Family Fun Time  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 9:42:07pm

re: #119 Mr Pancakes

It is... Pluto is in dispute.

I know, I'm still in mourning.

123 TedStriker  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 9:53:47pm

Merry (white) Christmas from Nashville...hope y'all have a good holiday!

[Link: www.flickr.com...]

124 austin_blue  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 9:54:52pm

re: #121 freetoken

[Video]

Nice! That's a buy.

126 austin_blue  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 10:02:07pm

She Who Must Be Obeyed is back from providing lovely harp music to some dear Lutherans on Christmas Eve. To all Lizards, have a wonderful SolstiHanuKwanzmas. From beautiful (chilly!) Austin, peace and good fortune to you and yours.

127 Racer X  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 10:03:46pm

Merry Christmas!

128 Shiplord Kirel  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 10:06:29pm

Good for Abercrombie. For 50 years, ever since the rise of the John Birch Society, we have been told that confronting the bat guano conspiracy theorists will just empower them and that they are better ignored. The result is a global conspiracy industry, the political mainstreaming of professional liars like Alex Jones, and an intellectual blight that eliminates millions from effective participation in the political process.

129 webevintage  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 10:07:48pm

Just stopped in to say MERRY CHRISTMAS Y'ALL!!!111!!!!

Time to put Love Actually in the DVD player for the annual viewing of Billy Mack and Christmas is All Around!
Cheesy Bill Nighy makes my Christmas complete...

130 webevintage  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 10:08:48pm

re: #123 talon_262

Merry (white) Christmas from Nashville...hope y'all have a good holiday!

[Link: www.flickr.com...]

I am jealous here in Little Rock all we had was lots o' rain.....

131 Dark_Falcon  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 10:10:29pm

re: #128 Shiplord Kirel

Then how do we knock out these loons? Short of physically beating the hell out of them, that is?

132 darthstar  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 10:18:41pm

re: #129 webevintage

I thought that read "Billy Jack" and I thought, What a great, though not seasonally appropriate, movie.

133 darthstar  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 10:19:41pm

re: #119 Mr Pancakes

It is... Pluto is in dispute.

Pluto's not in dispute. Pluto has accepted itself for the dwarf that it is.

134 Holidays are Family Fun Time  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 10:21:52pm

re: #128 Shiplord Kirel

Regarding the birthers: They're concerns have been more than satisfactorily addressed. Anyone not convinced by now is not worth is a waste of time and resources.

I don't think anyone's concerns should be ignored, we just shouldn't waste our breathe with those that prove to be delusional.

135 darthstar  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 10:22:05pm

Great Monk on right now...first, he shoots a deranged Santa Claus, and then he is trying to get away from mothers and kids asking why he shot Santa and he trips over a nativity scene, booting the baby Jesus across the floor like a soccer ball.

136 Holidays are Family Fun Time  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 10:22:50pm

re: #135 darthstar

I love that show.

137 Dark_Falcon  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 10:27:15pm

I'm going to sign off now. Merry Christmas, all.

138 Holidays are Family Fun Time  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 10:27:51pm

re: #130 webevintage

I am jealous here in Little Rock all we had was lots o' rain...

Come on up to Chicago-land. We got about 6 inches today.

139 Shiplord Kirel  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 10:29:30pm

re: #131 Dark_Falcon

That's an appealing option but probably impractical.
There are many ways to confront them. Challenge their evidence on logical and factual grounds. Don't let them set the terms, for example, "long-form birth certificate." Don't let them talk over you or string so many points together they can't be challenged. Learn their favorite cliches, things like "he seems credible," and "Our government can do anything." Possible responses to these would be "We have YOUR word for that, it must be true," and "that's debatable but it doesn't mean they ARE doing EVERYTHING they're accused of doing."
Don't be timid about challenging their personal honesty. Remember, these are utterly amoral liars who routinely make the most scurrilous accusations against some very good people.

140 Shiplord Kirel  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 10:40:11pm

re: #134 ggt

I think that's wrong. If they persist and they aren't challenged, people will forget about the contrary arguments. There are always people who have not heard the contrary side anyway. Nothing will shut them up, but it is possible to completely marginalize them. The Moon Hoax claimants have nothing like the status and general credibility they did in 2001, for example. That was the year of Fox TV's loathesome mockumentary, Conspiracy Theory: Did We Land on the Moon?. Their nonsense was debunked within a few minutes of the program's end, but it took years to beat them down. They never had the chance to lay low until the heat was off and start peddling their foolishness to a new crop of gullible citizens.

Even those who adhere to conspiracist claims for immoral reasons (self-justification, racism, etc.) may change their minds if they see that the conspiracy theorists are not invincible or widely respected.

141 Holidays are Family Fun Time  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 10:41:17pm

re: #139 Shiplord Kirel

That's an appealing option but probably impractical.

I like your responses.

Sadly, many of these people are true believers. Kool-aid drinkers who will never accept they are repeating lies.

Sigh.

142 Shiplord Kirel  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 10:43:31pm

Happy birthday Karl Rove!

On that happy note, I bid you all a Merry Christmas and a good night.

143 Holidays are Family Fun Time  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 10:47:41pm

re: #140 Shiplord Kirel

I understand that, but in this age of information overload, I think there will always be a new crop of gullible citizens. There seem to always be a marginalized group looking for a fight.

I'm thinking of the neo-nazi types. The holocaust has certainly not been out of the news, yet there are lots out there who won't accept the truth.

Also, if you keep responding to them, you run the risk of THEM turning the tables and accusing YOU of being the whacko.

Sometimes I think the creationists have a voice because the scientists have worked so hard to rebut their arguments.

I don't have the answer.

144 freetoken  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 11:01:41pm

re: #143 ggt

As someone famously said, there is a sucker born every minute.

Nah, logic and facts will win out.

They've been hating Darwin since the day he published his most famous book. And, creationism is part of a larger anti-modernism movement whose major driver is not so much Darwin and evolution but rather a fear of textual criticism of the Bible.

145 freetoken  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 11:02:47pm
146 Escaped Hillbilly  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 11:20:16pm

Merry Christmas!

147 Alexzander  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 11:23:14pm

Seems pretty quiet tonight but that is a good thing as it means everyone is with family.

148 Holidays are Family Fun Time  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 11:26:33pm

Night all!

149 Escaped Hillbilly  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 11:52:10pm

re: #147 Alexzander
Not all of us. I'm looking to stir things up. Just as soon as I catch up with what everyone's talking about. I just got done with the article on Yahoo re the V.P.'s predictions about the end of DADT.

150 Escaped Hillbilly  Fri, Dec 24, 2010 11:59:36pm

re: #120 Dark_Falcon
Laughing at them mercilessly with cruel and biting humor is the correct response and the only one that will adequately marginalize them!

151 Escaped Hillbilly  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 12:08:35am

re: #85 BigPapa

No, this is a time when a politician is going to change law, which is there for a reason, because his friend has been insulted. There is a reason they cannot release the documents without the President's personal permission and it should stay that way. If he changes it for theses loons, all the ordinary citizens of Hawaii have a claim of violation of their right to privacy. Unless he plans to make a law that only the President's record can be released without his permission? Hey, do ya think the Pres. would support that? I mean, if he wanted to pander to these lunatics, he could authorize the release of the long form himself. He hasn't for good reason. The Gov. should leave it alone.

152 freetoken  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 12:17:25am
153 freetoken  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 12:17:54am

That was Mario Lanza, btw. Probably before the time of many here.

155 daliarose  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 1:51:22am

Thank God for Mr. Abercrombie. It's way past time to end this nonsense. to say this crap is embarrssing to us Republicans is a major understatement. It's humiliating to share a political affiliation with any wackjob that spits out this crap.

156 Decatur Deb  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 1:55:34am

It's 3:54 in Central Time. To the Christian Lizards: "Merry Christmas". To my Jewish friends: "Would a little Merry Christmas hurt".

157 A Man for all Seasons  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 1:59:00am

re: #156 Decatur Deb

Merry Christmas! It was a late night at Campus Corner..
Breakfast was good

158 Decatur Deb  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 1:59:16am

Salve, Archangelus. Big night last night?

159 Decatur Deb  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 2:00:37am

re: #157 HoosierHoops

Merry Christmas! It was a late night at Campus Corner..
Breakfast was good

Hope it went well. Early breakfast or late?

160 A Man for all Seasons  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 2:02:10am

re: #159 Decatur Deb

Hope it went well. Early breakfast or late?

It was really fun...Getting tired now..:)

161 Decatur Deb  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 2:04:18am

re: #160 HoosierHoops

Just waking up, here. Need to reboot and start more coffee. Back in a minute.

162 Decatur Deb  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 2:13:20am

re: #157 HoosierHoops

Merry Christmas! It was a late night at Campus Corner..
Breakfast was good

So, whaddya get? (For Christmas)

163 A Man for all Seasons  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 2:20:55am

re: #162 Decatur Deb

So, whaddya get? (For Christmas)

just money..Living in Oklahoma with just my dog..what can you expect?
How about you?

164 Decatur Deb  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 2:24:05am

Got a mixed message--wife says I spend too much time online, but got me a laptop. We gave our dog-mad friend a kit to trace her mutt's DNA. Looks a lot like a Basenji or a fox.

165 WINDUPBIRD DISEASE [S.K.U.M.M.]  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 2:30:17am

What's happening in this thread, why are there no MELVINS

166 WINDUPBIRD DISEASE [S.K.U.M.M.]  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 2:30:30am

Have some

MELVINS

167 Decatur Deb  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 2:34:54am

re: #165 WindUpBird

What's happening in this thread, why are there no MELVINS

Morning. You do realize "Spinal Tap" was a joke, right?

168 WINDUPBIRD DISEASE [S.K.U.M.M.]  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 2:38:18am

re: #167 Decatur Deb

Morning. You do realize "Spinal Tap" was a joke, right?

talk about bundt cakes

169 Escaped Hillbilly  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 2:41:10am

Every time someone mentions bundt cake, I am reminded of the scene from My Big Fat Greek Wedding. "I fixed it."

170 Decatur Deb  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 2:46:02am

Antidote to Poison:

[Link: www.google.com...]

171 Escaped Hillbilly  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 3:01:11am

Well, it's off to chow for me. I'll check back in later. Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all.

172 Aceofwhat?  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 4:55:54am

Good morning, everyone. I'm in the post-stocking, pre-unwrapping lull with the kids. A Christmas Story is on in the background and the kids are warily eying me to judge when i'll cave and let them have the next piece of candy from their stockings.

Merry Christmas, all!

173 researchok  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 5:02:48am

Morning, all.

Happy Christmas to the whole lot of unwieldy lizards!

174 researchok  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 5:05:21am

re: #172 Aceofwhat?

Merry Christmas, all!

Make em wait.

What's Christmas without a bit of suffering?

175 researchok  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 5:09:31am

re: #172 Aceofwhat?

Merry Christmas, all!

That reminds me of the time I spent a holiday weekend (not Christmas) at the home of a college roommate. I was looking forward to the food (he was Italian) and overall good times.

I was a bit shocked at how spirited and boisterous the family gathering was. My family was quite staid and mild by comparison. I mentioned this to my roommate.

He nonchalantly mentioned that a family gathering without death threats just wouldn't seem right.

Cultural diversity, you know?

176 Aceofwhat?  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 5:18:51am

re: #174 researchok

Make em wait.

What's Christmas without a bit of suffering?

eh, i kinda like them hopped up on sugar on Christmas. they get even more excited about the presents, and we're over at my folks' house where my grandparents will be joining us shortly.

4 generations in the house...sugar is the social lubricant!

177 Walter L. Newton  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 5:26:52am

re: #175 researchok

Cultural diversity, you know?

My Dad's brother, my uncle, had a Sicilian wife... they lived in the Bronx, he had a heart condition, couldn't work, so to speak, so, he did "odd jobs" for the mob, I'm not making this up, really, "bag man," drove the "boys" from one place to another in a cab, nothing physical or violent, but jobs none the less...

Holiday visits at his apartment revealed a whole cast of interesting characters and chatter. I used some of his "friends" as a model for the two "goofy" gangsters in my play "Poof!"

178 researchok  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 5:28:01am

re: #177 Walter L. Newton

Like they say, only in America.

179 researchok  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 5:33:01am

Forecast: Up to 5 inches of snow today.

In Raleigh.

180 Aceofwhat?  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 5:39:11am

re: #179 researchok

Forecast: Up to 5 inches of snow today.

In Raleigh.

It'll be 69 and sunny today in Jax. We'll get ours tomorrow, though...45 and windy. Practically arctic/

181 Walter L. Newton  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 5:51:26am

re: #180 Aceofwhat?

Twenty two degrees (f) here in Conifer at 8000 feet, still no measurable snow, probably only an few inches all fall so far... fifty miles west of there... 4 to 6 feet.

It's one of those winters where the jet stream is so far north, that storms moving east skip up and over the front range of Colorado around the continental divide... and then skip across the upper tier of states and then dips down toward the east coast.

Happens every number of years... we have a dry winter from the Kanas boarder west to the continental divide... until the spring, then we get dumped with feet of wet, damp tree breaking snow.

182 reine.de.tout  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 5:56:38am

re: #180 Aceofwhat?

That's what we're getting today (right now). 45, rainy, windy. brrr.

183 Aceofwhat?  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 5:57:59am

re: #181 Walter L. Newton

i need to get on a mountain soon. i have the snowboarding itch so bad, i'm more fidgety than a sailor with a latex allergy...

184 Aceofwhat?  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 6:01:44am

re: #182 reine.de.tout

That's what we're getting today (right now). 45, rainy, windy. brrr.

Merry Christmas!

Was going to go golfing tomorrow with my daughter and my brother, but it's not looking too good...

185 reine.de.tout  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 6:03:08am

re: #184 Aceofwhat?

Merry Christmas!

ehhhh, mebbe not . . .

and Merry Christmas to you!
Enjoy that present-opening once you get to it today.

186 Taqyia2Me  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 6:20:40am

...five driveways shoveled...

Merry Christmas LizardNation!!

187 Aceofwhat?  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 6:36:24am

Alrighty, the fam is starting to rise. Merry Christmas everyone!

188 Lord Baron Viscount Duke Earl Count Planckton  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 7:02:47am

Happy holidays!

189 Nervous Norvous  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 7:07:39am

Happy ChristmaHannuKwanzakas everybody!

190 Lord Baron Viscount Duke Earl Count Planckton  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 7:09:20am

Sitting in the airport waiting for the plane.

191 Holidays are Family Fun Time  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 7:09:32am

A drive-by post:

Merry Christmas all!

192 prairiefire  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 7:10:45am

re: #127 Racer X

Merry Christmas!

{{{ RacerX }}} Merry Christmas, Dude!

193 Lord Baron Viscount Duke Earl Count Planckton  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 7:12:37am

The free wifi in the airport is blocked by Charles. Some blacklist, I guess.

194 reine.de.tout  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 7:12:59am

re: #190 Sergey Romanov

Sitting in the airport waiting for the plane.

That almost sounds like an otis Redding song - Sittin' On the Dock of the Bay.

Not a bit Christmas-y or Holiday-ish:

195 Lord Baron Viscount Duke Earl Count Planckton  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 7:15:17am

re: #194 reine.de.tout

Ah, forgot my earphones so can't really listen, but thanks.

196 Nervous Norvous  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 7:15:21am

re: #194 reine.de.tout

That almost sounds like an otis Redding song - Sittin' On the Dock of the Bay.

Not a bit Christmas-y or Holiday-ish:

[Video]

Sittin here on Concourse One
Looking at the rising sun
Guess I'm feeling kinda blue
Wishing I was home with you

197 Nervous Norvous  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 7:16:16am

re: #196 PT Barnum

Sittin here on Concourse One
Looking at the rising sun
Guess I'm feeling kinda blue
Wishing I was home with you

replace the sound of the waves with jets taking off and there you go

198 Nervous Norvous  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 7:17:01am

Oh..and Good peanut brittle should be a sacrament. That is all

199 Lord Baron Viscount Duke Earl Count Planckton  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 7:17:30am

re: #145 freetoken

[Video]

I see another fan of pirated MP3's ;-) During the vacation gotta go through Alyona's site (to which you link).

200 Nervous Norvous  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 7:20:13am

re: #194 reine.de.tout

That almost sounds like an otis Redding song - Sittin' On the Dock of the Bay.

Not a bit Christmas-y or Holiday-ish:

[Video]

Not to harsh your buzz, but the Coldplay cover of Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay in the same video feed is really awful.

201 Escaped Hillbilly  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 7:49:18am

Really not cool. Takes twenty minutes to get through on the morale line to get an answering machine. Where could my son be at 1100 on Christmas? Seriously. On the up side, they had chocolate cake with Christmas dinner at the chow hall.
Merry Christmas everyone.

202 Wozza Matter?  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 7:56:45am

eaten the xmas dinner - am now stuffed and v v v drunk.

i bid you all a merry xmas

203 William of Orange  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 8:04:19am

Holy shit!!! Charles, I know you've got a soft spot when it comes to graphics. You'll love this!!!
Apparently this was done without any budget and in free time. God knows what they would do with a budget!! Created by a guy called Ben Craig.

As something of a frame of reference consider that the freshly released Tron: Legacy cost a reported three hundred million dollars to make. Modern Times, however, did not. It just required time, dedication and a bucket load of talent.

It's hard to know who, exactly to credit for this, as the director - apparently a UK based art designer - refers to himself only as BC2010 on his Vimeo account while the members of his crew who turn up there refer to him simply as Ben. There are a trio of Mountney's credited in the crew - presumably brothers, Tom, Simon and Richard - and one non-Mountney, Robin Mair. And that is simply all that we know beyond the fact that the short film is fantastic. Watch it - and the making of video - below.

Here's how they did it.

MAJOR KUDOS!!!

204 Bear  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 8:04:44am

I wish all of you a Happy Christmas and a Merry New Year. Oh! wait! guess it should be a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

205 Semper Fi  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 8:06:01am

Xmas is such a nice holiday and I still have terrific memories of what it was like with a house full of family and much going on. Now that I'm *ahem* older and remotely located, having no interest in traveling during this seemingly frantic time of year I hibernate with reading material and a good TV to watch some of the better football teams duke it out. It really remains a good time of year for me as solitude has always seemed appealing and I have no wants other than immediate food needs. However, nothing is perfect as my favorite French Bakery sold out of their fabulous croissants yesterday by 10 AM mind you. I stood at the counter absolutely dumb-struck with this news at 10:15. The weekend was saved 15 min later at the Polish Deli where I picked up some cheese cake that was shipped from Chicago. I'm enjoying a slice with coffee now. It was a good 2nd choice.
Happy holidays everyone and if you celebrate anything make it wonderfully memorable. You can do it.

206 darthstar  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 8:07:55am

Jerry Christmas, everyone.

207 William of Orange  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 8:10:23am

re: #202 wozzablog

eaten the xmas dinner - am now stuffed and v v v drunk.

i bid you all a merry xmas

Found a video of you.

Hahahahaaa!!!!!!!
208 webevintage  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 8:11:29am

Good Morning and Merry Christmas to all.....

Presents are opened and Christmas eggnog french toast digesting and soon we will be off to go see True Grit and then home for a big turkey dinner.

209 Political Atheist  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 8:12:53am

re: #202 wozzablog

Same to you. Just getting started on the west coast. Christmas will start with my eggs bennie and mimosas. Then a full day will unfold.

210 lawhawk  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 8:21:01am

Greets and saluts from the NYC metro area. I just wanted to stop by and wish all who celebrate Christmas to have a happy and joyous one. While we didn't have a white Christmas here, it looks like Sunday night into Monday is gonna make up for it with a Nor'easter. Woo!

Also, so much for peace and joy on earth in many parts of the world - Nigeria and Pakistan saw terror bombings, Hamas is busy threatening violence against Israel (again), and the Dutch arrested 12 Somalis who are accused of plotting terror attacks.

211 lawhawk  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 8:21:21am

Dang... kludged that last link - [Link: www.cnn.com...]

212 lawhawk  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 8:23:42am

re: #208 webevintage

I did the typical "Jewish" Christmas - Chinese food and movies. In this case, it was watching the DVD of Pixar's Up. It is yet another gorgeously made movie and the story is really geared to adults - it's a love story at its core.

213 Varek Raith  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 8:24:31am

Sup?

214 Escaped Hillbilly  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 8:31:00am

re: #212 lawhawk
I loved that movie and was really surprised at the adult theme. Very sad until midway through. Love story. And also a story of how people can help one another deal with loss and separation. Have you seen Monster House? A similar theme at its heart.

215 Killgore Trout  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 8:31:13am

Another reason to make your own...
Baked goods recalled on Christmas Eve

Pastries, cakes, cookies, pies and other baked goods made by Rolf's Patisserie in Chicago are being recalled this Christmas Eve, over concerns that the sweets may contain Staphylococcus Aureus bacteria.

216 Lord Baron Viscount Duke Earl Count Planckton  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 8:34:33am

re: #215 Killgore Trout

Eww.

217 Escaped Hillbilly  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 8:36:06am

Ok, on that note. I must give up on calling the kiddo I guess and head off to shower and bed. Goodnight all. Hope your Christmas was all you wanted it to be.

218 darthstar  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 8:38:02am

Having a wild game Xmas dinner tonight at my brother's house. We're bringing a potato gratin...got 5lbs of spuds to peel and slice, fresh herbs to chop, and a pound of Gruyer to shred this morning...meh..it can wait another hour.

219 PhillyPretzel  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 8:39:53am

I wish my fellow Lizards a very Merry Christmas.

220 Killgore Trout  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 8:44:29am

Ho, Ho, Ho! Black Extremists Scream Insults at Whites, Gays and Christians on Christmas Eve

"Happy House."

221 Political Atheist  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 8:46:26am

TSA has a very self serving mean streak....

Airline Pilot. Test Pilot. UN combat mission vet. Now in big trouble.
His crime? Embarrassing TSA.

[Link: www.news10.net...]

222 darthstar  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 8:47:33am

re: #220 Killgore Trout

[Video]
"Happy House."

Haven't watched, but the still shot indicates they're just poor dressers. As far as people who do hateful things go, I prefer not to watch their antics or give them a wider audience than that which their corner of the street provided.

223 Wayne A. Schneider  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 8:50:57am

re: #210 lawhawk

Hamas is busy threatening violence against Israel (again)

Oh, I think that's how Hamas celebrates every Christmas. By threatening violence against Israel.

224 Gus  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 8:56:42am

re: #220 Killgore Trout

[Video]
"Happy House."

Mmm. Physical and mental torture.

225 philosophus invidius  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 8:56:54am

re: #220 Killgore Trout

That's two blocks from Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building.

226 Dark_Falcon  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 8:59:11am

re: #215 Killgore Trout

Another reason to make your own...
Baked goods recalled on Christmas Eve

So that's why they canceled my father's order. I'm not kidding, we actually put in an order at Rolf's. It's on the North Side in what was once part of Chicago's German section, and my family has been patronizing it my entire life. I hope they survive this.

227 Semper Fi  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 9:01:59am

re: #215 Killgore Trout

Another reason to make your own...
Baked goods recalled on Christmas Eve

Thanks for the heads-up causing me to actually look at the label of my Chicago cheesecake. I'm safe. Came from Pasieka Bakery on Milwaukee St.
Have a good one...

228 darthstar  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 9:04:07am

Snow in Atlanta? Mother Nature must own some stock in General Motors or have invested in a chain of auto-body shops...people drive bad enough here where we're used to snow in the winter.

229 Lord Baron Viscount Duke Earl Count Planckton  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 9:04:26am

Patriotism!

[Link: en.rian.ru...]

The changes to the law took effect on Saturday in Uzbekistan obliging the citizens to put their right hand over heart to honor the national anthem.

Until recently, Uzbeks were supposed to be standing while the national anthem is playing.

230 Gus  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 9:10:13am

The day the Earth stood still.

231 William of Orange  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 9:10:51am

More Christmas to you!

232 Dark_Falcon  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 9:11:24am

re: #230 Gus 802

The day the Earth stood still.

It's Christmas. Gort's in the hanger being recharged.

233 Gus  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 9:13:11am

re: #232 Dark_Falcon

It's Christmas. Gort's in the hanger being recharged.

"Gort! Klaatu barada nikto!"

234 Dark_Falcon  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 9:15:56am

re: #221 Rightwingconspirator

TSA has a very self serving mean streak...

Airline Pilot. Test Pilot. UN combat mission vet. Now in big trouble.
His crime? Embarrassing TSA.

[Link: www.news10.net...]

Every large organization will move against you for embarrassing them if they are able. You're threatening the ambitions of the org's leaders. That's a small part of what I liked about The Wire; that the show really spoke to the role leadership ambition plays in organizational behavior.

235 Killgore Trout  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 9:19:29am

re: #234 Dark_Falcon

I haven't looked into that story but the correct way to help with airport security procedures is to notify the TSA of gaps and weaknesses. Posting video of security weaknesses on the internet is stupid and only helps terrorists.

236 albusteve  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 9:21:54am

the Muslim vs Muslim slaughter continues....giving themselves another black eye...these rads are like aliens with an insatiable lust for blood and guts...merry Christmas indeed
[Link: www.foxnews.com...]

237 Dark_Falcon  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 9:22:35am

re: #235 Killgore Trout

He likely had done that and gotten the brush-off. I agree that he was asking for trouble, but he most likely was simply fed to the teeth with government BS and couldn't take it anymore.

238 Lord Baron Viscount Duke Earl Count Planckton  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 9:27:07am

Ediacaran roots extend deeper into geologic time?

[Link: pandasthumb.org...]

239 albusteve  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 9:27:51am

re: #234 Dark_Falcon

the TSA, what a bunch of clowns....that they have the authority to do this is ludicrous...what law did he break?...he should go full auto on these guys and sue them...this is the behavior of a police state and I'd like to hear what defense the fucking TSA has for this action...the entire HLS and what's her name outa be tossed out....BO really fucked up with this idiot and her crew....pisses me off

240 albusteve  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 9:30:44am

re: #235 Killgore Trout

I doubt that terrorists will learn anything from watching the TSA expose itself as a bunch of idiots...they are well ahead of that curve if they have any brains at all

241 Killgore Trout  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 9:33:08am

re: #237 Dark_Falcon

Just because they aren't immediately adopting his recommendations doesn't give him the right to comprimise airport security. I suppose a lot of his recommendations are in the works but these things take time and money. Let's suppose some of the flaws he pointed out are a year away from being fixed. All he did was endanger air passengers for the next 12 months. It's a shitty thing to do.

242 Dark_Falcon  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 9:33:17am

BBL

243 Walter L. Newton  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 9:33:24am

re: #236 albusteve

the Muslim vs Muslim slaughter continues...giving themselves another black eye...these rads are like aliens with an insatiable lust for blood and guts...merry Christmas indeed
[Link: www.foxnews.com...]

It's not their fault.

244 albusteve  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 9:34:30am

re: #237 Dark_Falcon

idiots...running around bragging how much more they have done to secure the border....meaningless airport security, costing billions to keep up a charade...the whole thing is nuts...they may have done more, whatever that is, regarding the border, but it's wasted...the border is NOT more secure and terrorists must be laughing their asses off at the comical TSA Keystone Kops...what a joke on us

245 albusteve  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 9:36:56am

re: #241 Killgore Trout

I disagree...and I doubt any security was compromised, but I don't want to argue with you today...merry Christmas from Heathentown, KT

246 Feline Fearless Leader  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 9:43:22am

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to one and all in the Lizard-dom.

Remember that the solstice is the reason for the season. ;)

Going to be a quiet day. Sitting back with a hot cup of tea and petting cats. Didn't travel due to work commitments and the upcoming storm moving up the coast. Less socialization, but also get more sleep and a chance to catch up on some reading.

And the kitchen smells like limes right now... (was squeezing limes last night for lime juice to make salsa for work on Monday.) Plan on a baking frenzy now (apple pie, banana nut bread, and a chiffon pseudo-key lime pie* as well.)

* - Which doesn't call for lime zest, but since I was making lime juice last night I also grated fresh lime zest since the opportunity was there.

247 Varek Raith  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 9:44:06am

Bah, humbug!

248 albusteve  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 9:44:08am

re: #243 Walter L. Newton

It's not their fault.

morning Walter
'it's not their fault' has a mighty loud ring to it...license to kill for those guys....Bush wrecked all the peace and quiet in the world and it will never become peaceful again until the Great Satan goes down for good....something like that anyway....as for you, peace bro

249 Feline Fearless Leader  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 9:44:45am

re: #247 Varek Raith

Bah, humbug!

No Superlaser or Ewok torture kit under your tree this morning?

250 Varek Raith  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 9:46:05am

re: #249 oaktree

No Superlaser or Ewok torture kit under your tree this morning?

Nope.
Some jerk parked a planet-sized lump of coal in geosynchronous orbit over my palace.

251 Feline Fearless Leader  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 9:49:40am

re: #236 albusteve

[Link: www.foxnews.com...]

Unnecessary bloodshed aside, but isn't this the sort of thing that will give the states sponsoring terrorism the wake-up call they need? When they realize that the radicals they've helped train and arm will be *very* willing to turn the tactics and weaponry against the government once the government does something they don't like (and the odds of that are essentially 100% over any period of time unless the government itself completely radicalizes.)

Though there is also the issue in Pakistan that the tribal areas are a lot like Afghanistan - never been effectively controlled by the central government of the country. Kept loosely under rein via truces and agreements, but the government's true authority doesn't extend far.

252 Feline Fearless Leader  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 9:50:43am

re: #250 Varek Raith

Nope.

Burn it under low-oxygen conditions to get a large supply of coke. And I'm sure the carbon monoxide and heat/steam produced as side products can be put to good use.

253 Gus  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 9:53:14am

re: #250 Varek Raith

Nope.

Beats having a giant Spanish speaking bumble bee over your shoulder.

254 Walter L. Newton  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 9:53:22am

re: #248 albusteve

morning Walter
'it's not their fault' has a mighty loud ring to it...license to kill for those guys...Bush wrecked all the peace and quiet in the world and it will never become peaceful again until the Great Satan goes down for good...something like that anyway...as for you, peace bro

Morning...

Well, the Xmas frenzy is over, the presents opened, the pictures taken. The 19 year old is on the phone, trying to find a pawn shop or thrift store open on Christmas day so she can sell all the stuff we gave her. Got some great pictures. Well, except for the 21 year old. Her eyes are so big I was wondering if something crawled into her brain and was trying to eat it's way out.

The kitten kept hiding in the wrapping paper discards on the floor. The two dumb dogs kept walking by the paper piles and the cat would leap out and scratch out an eyeball. Girlfriend is on the phone trying to find out if a veterinarian is open on Christmas day.

I got a 15 dollars Itunes card for my Ipod Touch. Why can't you find porn at the Itune Store?

The girlfriend made some delicious home made cheese stuff pastries for breakfast... tasted great... but I think I'm constipated now. Wish I still drank booze... that would clear out that problem.

Hope everyone is having as good a Christmas as I am.

255 Varek Raith  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 9:53:49am

re: #252 oaktree

I was going to send it back to Santa at .70c...
Muhahaha!

256 A Man for all Seasons  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 9:54:31am

Merry Christmas Lizards!

257 prairiefire  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 9:55:01am

re: #256 HoosierHoops

Merry Christmas!

258 albusteve  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 9:55:06am

re: #251 oaktree

not sure about the wake up call, unless it's applied to the US....Pakistan has been going through this shit for ever, fractious and tribal for sure, the same as Afghanistan only a more sophisticated culture....the moderate people need to stop this insanity, which is a low probability, and Afghanistan is a lost cause....somehow we need to deal with Paki nukes which may come down to somehow destroying them

259 Gus  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 9:58:41am
260 prairiefire  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 10:04:38am

My girl is now 13. Hard to believe.

261 albusteve  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 10:05:36am

re: #260 prairiefire

My girl is now 13. Hard to believe.

you're almost a granny!

262 prairiefire  Sat, Dec 25, 2010 10:21:45am

re: #261 albusteve

you're almost a granny!

Please do not give me a heart attack on Christmas.

Editorial: Kobach Is Desperate for Trump’s Approval Kris Kobach has been running a Trump-style gubernatorial campaign since the day he announced. From his empty insistence that there’s a “culture of corruption” in Topeka to his argument that the Legislature’s decision to repeal Gov. Sam Brownback’s tax ...
44 minutes ago
First Aid Kit - It’s a Shame"It's a Shame" by First Aid Kit is available now: smarturl.it Production Company: Slutet är Nära / slutetarnara.se Director: Mats UddProducer: Petra KrigströmExecutive Producer: Alexandros Bakos Lyrics: genius.com Follow First Aid Kit: firstaidkitband.com facebook.com @firstaidkitband instagram.com
Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit - American Girl10/13/2017 Encore on night 4 of Ryman residency
WALK the MOON - Headphones Get WALK THE MOON's “One Foot” and "Headphones" Instantly When You Pre-Order The New Album 'What If Nothing':iTunes - wtmband.comAmazon - wtmband.comSpotify Pre-Save - wtmband.comGoogle Play - wtmband.comMerch Store - wtmband.com Stream "Headphones" Now:Apple Music - wtmband.comSpotify - wtmband.com ...
1 day ago
Nightmare at PDX In all, Cristina was held for 48 hours with the jail population, though she had committed no crime. She was treated poorly, and denied medical treatment when she requested it. She had no money in her jail phone account ...
First-Ever Sex Discrimination Legal Network Is Ready to Defend Women in Trump’s America Shortly after the election, the attorneys and advocates who work at the National Women’s Law Center (NWLC) started having a conversation. It seemed that the incoming Trump administration was likely to move backward on enforcing civil rights, loosening regulations, ...
Birth Control Works
Meet Rhiannon Giddens, Newly Minted MacArthur ‘Genius’ As a solo artist — and, before that, as a member of the Carolina Chocolate Drops — singer-songwriter Rhiannon Giddens has made a career out of revitalizing and invigorating decades' worth of music reflecting the African-American experience. That's meant ...
1 week, 1 day ago
Views: 1,160 • Comments: 0 • Rating: 2
Lies About Black America Are ‘Central’ to Gun Ownership: A Reporter on What We Get Wrong About Gun Violence Lies that the GOP and Donald Trump promote all day long. “If you look at the neighborhoods where [gun violence] is most clustered,” Beckett said, it’s located in areas with high levels of poverty, low levels of education, and ...
Unshaken Defiance
Views: 1,753 • Comments: 0 • Rating: 1
St. Vincent Performs ‘Los Ageless’ One of Stephen's very favorite singer-songwriters collaborates with three pairs of boots to perform a song off her new album "Masseduction". Subscribe To "The Late Show" Channel HERE: bit.lyFor more content from "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert", click ...
Views: 1,391 • Comments: 0 • Rating: 1
Star Wars: The Last Jedi Trailer (Official) Watch the new trailer for Star Wars: The Last Jedi and see it in theaters December 15. Get your tickets now: fandango.com Visit Star Wars at starwars.comSubscribe to Star Wars on YouTube at youtube.comLike Star Wars on Facebook at ...
Views: 1,355 • Comments: 0 • Rating: 0