The Oslo Terrorist’s ‘Counter-Jihad’ Ideology
By now you’ve probably heard about Oslo terrorist Anders Behring Breivik’s “manifesto,” a 1,516-page screed with some writing by Breivik, but mostly consisting of quotes and articles by “counter-jihad” bloggers and similar right wing sources.
(You can find it on the web if you really want to read it; I won’t link to it because there are sections that are basically a manual for terrorism; Breivik goes into great detail about the assembly and testing of the bomb, his weapons and ammunition, etc.)
But I’ve seen a lot of people mistakenly attributing the articles that make up most of the manifesto to Breivik himself. In fact, the blog source that’s probably cited the most throughout Breivik’s book is Jihad Watch, run by anti-Muslim demagogue Robert Spencer; Breivik cites Robert Spencer more than 40 times, always approvingly.
And a very large number — more than three dozen — of the lengthy articles reprinted in the book are the work of the anonymous white nationalist blogger “Fjordman,” who apparently gave Breivik permission to use them.
Back in the day, I linked to Fjordman’s articles myself; he was a big self-promoter and would email and ask for links every time he posted something. But sometime around 2007 (when I criticized him and other “counter-jihad” bloggers for making deals with extreme right wing European groups) it became clear that his seeming erudition and extreme logorrhea was a cover for a particularly nasty form of European white nationalism.
And this split is actually reflected in the articles by Fjordman that Breivik put in his book. In the early pieces you’ll see complimentary links to LGF, turning into insults and revilement in the later pieces when I called them out, then wouldn’t back down or “apologize” to these racist cretins.
Many of the most extreme statements and positions I’ve seen people quoting are actually taken directly from Fjordman himself. LGF reader Gus 802 found a great example of this, in one of Fjordman’s articles from 2009, titled The Coming Crash:
Some highlights of this one article:
• I would rank Britain as the Western European country most likely to first get a civil war caused by mass immigration and Multiculturalism.
• There will be a pan-Western and perhaps international economic and social collapse in the not-too-distant future.
• We need to learn from our enemies, both internal and external…They must be squashed, otherwise we cannot deal rationally and adequately with our external enemies.
• We must get rid of Feminism, which is destructive and merely an extension of Marxism, anyway.
• We must document what is being done to us by treasonous elites for future references, for instance by making a video dedicated to anti-white verbal and physical violence around the world. We must take steps to ensure our physical safety and regain pride in our heritage.
• The current US President Obama has publicly pledged himself to combat opposition to Islam rather than Islam itself, which means that it is official US policy to spread Islamic law.
• If the Soviet Union was the Evil Empire then the USA is the Diversity Empire, committed to spreading Multiculturalism and genetic Communism around the world, especially to white majority countries.
• The United States will not survive this century. It will be split into several countries according to ethnic, racial and perhaps even ideological lines. There is no such thing as a universal nation. People want to live with their own kind. The only ones who are not allowed to do so are whites, and they are starting to get tired of this double standard.
• Anti-white ideologies are now taught in every Western university and were arguably elevated to national ideology in the USA with the election of Obama.
Just look at what these people are saying to their right wing fans; if you follow this stuff to its sickening logical conclusion, the very fate of civilization itself is at risk. It’s an apocalyptic view, a vision of a war for existence against the encroaching dark-skinned hordes.
Among people who truly believe this paranoid world view, is it any wonder that one of them finally took the next step?
Unlike Jared Loughner (the shooter of Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords), with Anders Behring Breivik there’s no doubt whatsoever where he got the inspiration and the ideology that led inexorably to the horror in Oslo.
When Gabrielle Giffords and several others were shot, I was critical of the right wing blogs and Sarah Palin in particular, for encouraging a climate of violent rhetoric. But in the Norway atrocities, the responsibility is far more evident and direct.
People like Fjordman and Pamela Geller and the right wing blogosphere who spew apocalyptic rhetoric and refuse to denounce the extremists among them now have the very real blood of children on their hands.