The Right Wing War Against the Environmental Protection Agency

The right takes aim at the EPA
Politics • Views: 36,609

The Tea Party’s activists in Congress aren’t finished with America yet; their next target for destruction is the Environmental Protection Agency.

Congresswoman and presidential candidate Michele Bachmann doesn’t want to wait for extinction, she advocates abolishing the EPA as soon as God puts the Tea Party in charge. She blames it for a host of anti-free market evils, from what she sees as an attempt to outlaw incandescent light bulbs (she countered with the “Lightbulb Freedom of Choice Act of 2011”) to the “hoax” that is global climate change. Take no notice of what elitist scientists say, Bachmann knows better, assuring us that “CO2 is a natural byproduct of Nature.”

The bill funding EPA and the department of the interior (HR 2584, if you want to look it up) is a dirty bomb, meant to destroy any rule that slows down environmental degradation. The legislation is so loaded with industry-backed amendments and riders – 77 so far – that it reads like a polluters’ letter to Santa Claus. One provision would allow uranium mining right next to the Grand Canyon. Another would stop EPA from regulating pesticides, even if the pesticides kill endangered plants, birds, fish and other animals. EPA’s funding would be slashed by 34% over the next two years, but America’s oil and gas companies would be given an extra $55m on top of the $36bn in federal subsidies they already get.

No doubt it’s the merest coincidence that Koch Industries, a major funder of the Tea Party, makes an awful lot of its vast profits off oil and gas exploration, petroleum refining and coal mining.

The bill’s many excrescences include assaults on fragile species, including grey wolves and Pacific salmon, America’s remaining wilderness lands and the very air we breathe. The EPA would be barred from limiting toxic emissions from power plants or setting fuel efficiency standards for cars, and, in defiance of existing law (to say nothing of common sense), the government could run its vehicles on fuels such as liquid coal, even though they’re dirtier than conventional fuels.

Worse still, the bill is festooned with more than two dozen riders undermining decades of progress on water pollution. Before the Clean Water Act was passed with bipartisan support in 1972, 30% of drinking water samples from around the country contained dangerous levels of chemical effluent, the Hudson River teemed with carcinogenic PCBs, piped in courtesy of General Electric and Ohio’s Cuyahoga River was so full of petrochemical waste it actually caught on fire. Now, Republicans want to forbid the EPA to limit the toxic stuff that rains down on streams and infests groundwater when coal companies blast the tops of mountains, and stop the EPA from protecting wetlands in areas that have experienced flooding. Never mind that wetlands mitigate storm water, and if you drain them, the flooding will only get worse.

1 Kragar  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 3:26:51pm

“Don’t worry, God has a plan!”

2 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 3:26:56pm

Clean air is an abomination in the eyes of Gawd.

3 laZardo  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 3:27:47pm

This bill is going to pass. Just no other way of putting it.

4 albusteve  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 3:28:13pm

PCBs are harmless….you can’t even see them

5 Lord Baron Viscount Duke Earl Count Planckton  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 3:28:16pm

Fuck the far-right.

6 wrenchwench  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 3:30:29pm

James Watt could not be reached for a more recent comment than this:

During a March 1991 dinner event organized by the Green River Cattlemen’s Association in Wyoming, Watt said, “If the troubles from environmentalists cannot be solved in the jury box or at the ballot box, perhaps the cartridge box should be used.”
7 Kragar  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 3:30:44pm

re: #2 Slumbering Behemoth

Clean air is an abomination in the eyes of Gawd.

Yeah, what the fuck was that hippy Nixon thinking about when he set this shit up?

8 HoosierHoops  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 3:30:50pm

I have 2 words for MB…
Love Canal

9 Targetpractice  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 3:31:07pm

re: #3 laZardo

This bill is going to pass. Just no other way of putting it.

Ayep, the GOP has found the perfect win-win. If the bill passes, then their wish list goes into effect and the EPA gets gutted. If it doesn’t pass, then the EPA goes without funding and it might as well be gutted.

Meanwhile, that rumble you felt was Nixon rolling in his grave.

10 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 3:33:20pm

re: #7 Kragar (Proud to be Kafir)

It was clearly a moment of weakness where he fell to the temptations of the Debil.

11 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 3:34:23pm

re: #5 Sergey Romanov

They’re not fond of that activity, either.

12 Kragar  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 3:35:10pm

re: #10 Slumbering Behemoth

Plus that whole endangered species shit. Obviously he was just providing cover for the Grizzly Bears so they could continue Satan’s work on Earth.

13 Charleston Chew  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 3:36:54pm

It’s the only Right there is now. Nixon is now officially a Democrat.

14 Charleston Chew  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 3:37:40pm

re: #13 Charleston Chew

It’s the only Right there is now. Nixon is now officially a Democrat.

And Eisenhower will be there to greet him.

15 Charleston Chew  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 3:39:47pm

re: #11 Slumbering Behemoth

They’re not fond of that activity, either.

They like it, they just don’t want you to have it. They’re so greedy they want to have all the sex in the world for themselves.

16 FemNaziBitch  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 3:39:56pm

Hey all!

The weather forecasters said it may or may not rain in my part of the world today. They were right for once.

It’s storming. But not so bad that I’m sitting in the dark.

How are you-all?

17 FemNaziBitch  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 3:40:42pm

re: #15 Charleston Chew

naw, they are pissed they can’t control it.

18 Kragar  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 3:41:34pm

re: #14 Charleston Chew

And Eisenhower will be there to greet him.

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together.

Fucking Hippy. Why does he hate America?
///

19 Targetpractice  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 3:42:32pm

re: #16 ggt

Hey all!

It’s storming. But not so bad that I’m sitting in the dark.

How are you-all?

Wishing that I had a huge thunderstorm sitting over my house right now, if only to end this oppressive heat.

20 dragonfire1981  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 3:45:07pm

Fuck it. I’ve had enough of this country. I’m going back to Canada.

21 Killgore Trout  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 3:47:37pm

Pam…
Dow Crashes 600 points, Obama Mental Illness Worsens: “The U.S. will always be a triple-A country despite what rating agencies say”

It sounds like Obama has had a complete psychological break from reality. His hatred of America consumes him.

22 FemNaziBitch  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 3:47:51pm

re: #19 Targetpractice, Worst of Both Worlds

so sorry

23 Killgore Trout  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 3:48:17pm

re: #20 dragonfire1981

Fuck it. I’ve had enough of this country. I’m going back to Canada.

Vancouver seems nice.

24 dragonfire1981  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 3:48:44pm

It just blows my mind that things like this are allowed to happen. It actually makes me feel strange for, you know, caring about what happens to the environment and actually WANTING my fellow Americans access to clean water and air.

Last spring I went hiking along a beautiful trail in the Smoky Mountains in Tennessee. Today I find myself picturing that trail if it were heavily polluted and being completely appalled at it. I can’t help but think about all the current and future generations that will be IRREVOCABLY impacted by the fallout from decisions like this.

How many will drown?
How many sill starve?
How many will burn?
How many will die just so some mega corporations can make a few extra millions this quarter?

Absolutely horrid.

25 albusteve  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 3:49:11pm

re: #20 dragonfire1981

Fuck it. I’ve had enough of this country. I’m going back to Canada.

deep in eh?
you won’t be missed

26 dragonfire1981  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 3:49:51pm

re: #23 Killgore Trout

Vancouver seems nice.

Despite spending the first 24 years of my life in Canada I never did make it out West, but I really want to. Alberta and BC are beautiful places.

27 Killgore Trout  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 3:49:55pm

Meanwhile in London….
Image: lfcUz.jpg

28 HoosierHoops  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 3:50:30pm

re: #23 Killgore Trout

Vancouver seems nice.

I loved my visit to Montreal.. I could live there

29 Kragar  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 3:50:37pm

re: #21 Killgore Trout

Pam…

Stating a belief that America is still worth something = Hate filled destructive rant

30 Targetpractice  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 3:50:49pm

re: #27 Killgore Trout

Meanwhile in London…
Image: lfcUz.jpg

Well, at least he’s showing the proper respect to the media.

31 jaunte  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 3:51:09pm

Back to the golden age of Dickens.

Until the second half of the 19th century London residents were still drinking water from the very same portions of the Thames that the open sewers were discharging into. Joseph BazalgetteSeveral outbreaks of Cholera in the mid 19th century, along with The Great Stink of 1858, when the stench of the Thames caused Parliament to recess, brought a cry for action. The link between drinking water tainted with sewage and the incidence of disease slowly dawned on the Victorians. Dr John Snow proved that all victims in a Soho area cholera outbreak drew water from the same Broad Street pump.
[Link: www.fidnet.com…]
32 albusteve  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 3:52:08pm

re: #24 dragonfire1981

How many will drown?
How many sill starve?
How many will burn?

Absolutely horrid.

what’s happened?…the bill posted has not even been voted on

33 Kragar  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 3:52:33pm

Back to the golden age of Dickens.

Why did John Snow hate God’s Plan?

34 FemNaziBitch  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 3:56:56pm

re: #28 HoosierHoops

I loved my visit to Montreal.. I could live there

I hated Toronto.

35 The Yankee  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 3:57:09pm

Where is Zombie Nixon at when we need him, or even Futurama Nixon would do…

36 albusteve  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 3:57:35pm

re: #34 ggt

I hated Toronto.

huh?….you missed out
Toronto is a terrific city

37 FemNaziBitch  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 3:58:07pm

re: #36 albusteve

huh?…you missed out
Toronto is a terrific city

compared to what?

38 jaunte  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 3:58:27pm
…in defiance of existing law (to say nothing of common sense), the government could run its vehicles on fuels such as liquid coal, even though they’re dirtier than conventional fuels.

Some more detail on that:

Coal-to-liquid technology liquefies coal into conventional fuel for diesel, jet, or car engines. The process itself is expensive, and it also requires large energy inputs that are often derived from fossil fuels that release C02, along with large water inputs. This costly process produces gasoline that releases C02 when it is burned.

From production to combustion, CTL fuel could release as much as 2.5 times as much greenhouse gas into the atmosphere as conventional diesel fuel, according to an analysis by the Argonne National Laboratory cited by David Hawkins of the National Resources Defense Council.
[Link: www.americanprogress.org…]

39 albusteve  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 3:58:54pm

re: #37 ggt

compared to what?

you lose

40 FemNaziBitch  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 4:01:04pm

re: #39 albusteve

you lose

lightbulb choice?

41 Amory Blaine  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 4:01:05pm

re: #20 dragonfire1981

Fuck it. I’ve had enough of this country. I’m going back to Canada.

Got any tips?

42 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 4:03:06pm

re: #20 dragonfire1981

Dragonfire in action.

43 Idle Drifter  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 4:03:45pm

Some more detail on that:

We’d be better off with genetically engineering fuel crops to produce biodiesel and/or ethanol.

44 FemNaziBitch  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 4:04:31pm

Registered since: Dec 3, 2007 at 3:00 pm
No. of comments posted: 0
No. of Pages posted: 0

47 blueraven  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 4:08:55pm

re: #21 Killgore Trout

Pam…

WTH? He should go out and say…yeah, we suck? The woman is an idiot and regardless of her stupid comments, seems like the rest of the world agrees. Treasury was up.

48 HoosierHoops  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 4:09:28pm

re: #44 ggt

Magnets!

Are the answer.

I have 2 rare earth magnets on my desk that are so powerful they will stick together through your hand..If you aren’t careful they will slip past your hand and snap together with such force it will cut your skin…
Badass magnets..

49 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 4:11:02pm

re: #48 HoosierHoops

But how do they work?

50 Idle Drifter  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 4:11:57pm

re: #45 albusteve

playing politics with food…that’s where our govt has hit the wall

Not actual food crops. Boosting the natural oil production of an appropriate plant, bacteria, algae, etc species that could be fed biological waste and even emissions from a coal or natural gas plant or the like to produce fuel or compounds that could be refined into conventional fuel. Tweak the genetic code to produce the desired products.

51 albusteve  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 4:12:46pm

re: #50 Idle Drifter

not what I’m referring to

52 Idle Drifter  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 4:13:33pm

re: #46 wrenchwench

theBored

(Logged in)
Registered since: Dec 3, 2007 at 3:00 pm
No. of comments posted: 0
No. of Pages posted: 0

Where’s this coming from?

53 Idle Drifter  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 4:14:59pm

re: #51 albusteve

not what I’m referring to

Sorry, I missed the reference. On a side note it would be humorous to witness a Congress wide food fight.

54 FemNaziBitch  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 4:15:18pm

re: #48 HoosierHoops

Badass magnets..

Free Energy —I’m telling ya’!

55 albusteve  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 4:18:15pm

re: #52 Idle Drifter

Where’s this coming from?

it’s supposed to mean something, but I never figured out exactly what

56 FemNaziBitch  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 4:19:29pm

re: #55 albusteve

it’s supposed to mean something, but I never figured out exactly what

It’s one of those days, isn’t it?

57 Idle Drifter  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 4:20:05pm

re: #56 ggt

It’s one of those days, isn’t it?

It’s Monday.

58 HoosierHoops  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 4:21:01pm

re: #54 ggt

Free Energy —I’m telling ya’!

I put one on the end of a broom handle and gave it to my dad.. He couldn’t figure out what the heck was the deal.. We went out to his work shop and I just swept it under his work tables and every nail, screw, nut or anything metal flew to the magnet..Pops was impressed…
I’m a genus ggt.. *wink*

59 albusteve  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 4:22:01pm

re: #56 ggt

It’s one of those days, isn’t it?

not sure what you mean

60 FemNaziBitch  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 4:22:26pm

re: #59 albusteve

not sure what you mean

It’s Monday.

61 FemNaziBitch  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 4:24:01pm

re: #58 HoosierHoops

I’m a genus ggt.. *wink*

You are a genus!

62 wrenchwench  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 4:27:23pm

re: #52 Idle Drifter

Where’s this coming from?

The Spy. Click on the nic of someone who just logged in and see their profile.

63 FemNaziBitch  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 4:28:41pm

I’ve often pondered the name Rare Earth Magnet.

A Magnet from a Rare Earth?

An Earth Magnet that is rare?

The opposite of a Numerous Asteroid Magnet?

64 HoosierHoops  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 4:34:15pm

re: #63 ggt

I’ve often pondered the name Rare Earth Magnet.

A Magnet from a Rare Earth?

An Earth Magnet that is rare?

The opposite of a Numerous Asteroid Magnet?

There are certain rare elements that make magnets very powerful. Think of Barry Bonds and Steroids…Last week it was reported a find of extremely rare elements in the US…Somewhere like Arkansas.. I should have book marked it.. There has never been a find like this before in our borders…We buy from China

65 FemNaziBitch  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 4:35:42pm

re: #64 HoosierHoops

So, they are really Rare Element Magnets!

66 b_sharp  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 4:36:26pm

re: #16 ggt

Hey all!

It’s storming. But not so bad that I’m sitting in the dark.

How are you-all?

Are you using an Apple?

69 FemNaziBitch  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 4:43:15pm

re: #68 b_sharp

Are you using an Apple?

70 b_sharp  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 4:45:44pm

re: #69 ggt

Sorry then, it requires Adobe Flash, something Apple doesn’t do.

It’s just Denis Leary singing ‘I’m an asshole’. He was singing about me as I am today.

71 FemNaziBitch  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 4:46:51pm

re: #70 b_sharp

Sorry then, it requires Adobe Flash, something Apple doesn’t do.

sorry.

72 b_sharp  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 4:47:59pm

re: #71 ggt

sorry.

Why should you say sorry? Are you practising to be a Canadian?

73 Vicious Babushka  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 4:50:48pm

re: #37 ggt

compared to what?

Detroit.

74 FemNaziBitch  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 4:51:30pm

re: #72 b_sharp

Why should you say sorry? Are you practising to be a Canadian?

No, just that kind of day.

I’m sorry about everything —not sorry as in the sense of taking blame—just sorry.

Maybe I just need to hear some good news.

75 Vicious Babushka  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 4:51:36pm

re: #46 wrenchwench

theBored

(Logged in)
Registered since: Dec 3, 2007 at 3:00 pm
No. of comments posted: 0
No. of Pages posted: 0

So how do you know if it even exists?

76 b_sharp  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 4:52:51pm

re: #74 ggt

No, just that kind of day.

Maybe I just need to hear some good news.

OK.

I got a cheque in the mail today.

77 FemNaziBitch  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 4:53:35pm

re: #76 b_sharp

OK.

I got a cheque in the mail today.

Glad to hear it!

78 b_sharp  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 4:55:20pm

re: #77 ggt

Glad to hear it!

Tomorrow I’ll get a bill in the mail.
It all evens out.

Why are you so down?

79 albusteve  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 4:56:08pm

re: #74 ggt

No, just that kind of day.

Maybe I just need to hear some good news.

I see this all the time here now…LGF is certainly a negative vibe most of the time…log off

80 FemNaziBitch  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 4:56:10pm

re: #78 b_sharp

Tomorrow I’ll get a bill in the mail.
It all evens out.

Why are you so down?

Probably hormones.

Nothing specific.

But, I’m going to get off-line for a while.

Have a great evening!

81 b_sharp  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 4:57:00pm

re: #80 ggt

Probably hormones.

Nothing specific.

But, I’m going to get off-line for a while.

Have a great evening!

I’ll do what I can. You take care of yourself.

82 Spocomptonite  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 5:01:52pm

LOL. The Department of the Interior, eh? The bulk of Washington state’s farmland owes its existence to the DoI and the irrigation/power project it has overseen since before WWII. Otherwise it would still be barren desert resembling southern Arizona.

Ironically, this area also has the bulk of the State’s Republicans and Tea Party people.

83 Idle Drifter  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 5:04:41pm

re: #73 Alouette

Detroit.

We tend to kill and eat the weak here. Especially outsiders.

84 Idle Drifter  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 5:07:21pm

re: #82 Spocomptonite

I’m sure they don’t want their slice of the pie shrunk or eliminated. It’s all those other social programs.

85 makeitstop  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 5:23:36pm

re: #68 b_sharp

Are you using an Apple?

No, a computer.

86 makeitstop  Mon, Aug 8, 2011 5:43:10pm

Geez. The thread, I kilt it.

White Supremacist Rally Attendees Arrested After Shooting at Protesters Tyler Tenbrink, 28, William Fears, 30, and Colton Fears, 28, all from Texas, are being held on attempted homicide charges. They were taken into custody at about 9 P.M., several hours after fleeing the scene. The Fears brothers are ...
Editorial: Kobach Is Desperate for Trump’s Approval Kris Kobach has been running a Trump-style gubernatorial campaign since the day he announced. From his empty insistence that there’s a “culture of corruption” in Topeka to his argument that the Legislature’s decision to repeal Gov. Sam Brownback’s tax ...
First Aid Kit - It’s a Shame"It's a Shame" by First Aid Kit is available now: smarturl.it Production Company: Slutet är Nära / slutetarnara.se Director: Mats UddProducer: Petra KrigströmExecutive Producer: Alexandros Bakos Lyrics: genius.com Follow First Aid Kit: firstaidkitband.com facebook.com @firstaidkitband instagram.com
Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit - American Girl10/13/2017 Encore on night 4 of Ryman residency
WALK the MOON - Headphones Get WALK THE MOON's “One Foot” and "Headphones" Instantly When You Pre-Order The New Album 'What If Nothing':iTunes - wtmband.comAmazon - wtmband.comSpotify Pre-Save - wtmband.comGoogle Play - wtmband.comMerch Store - wtmband.com Stream "Headphones" Now:Apple Music - wtmband.comSpotify - wtmband.com ...
Nightmare at PDX In all, Cristina was held for 48 hours with the jail population, though she had committed no crime. She was treated poorly, and denied medical treatment when she requested it. She had no money in her jail phone account ...
First-Ever Sex Discrimination Legal Network Is Ready to Defend Women in Trump’s America Shortly after the election, the attorneys and advocates who work at the National Women’s Law Center (NWLC) started having a conversation. It seemed that the incoming Trump administration was likely to move backward on enforcing civil rights, loosening regulations, ...
Birth Control Works
Meet Rhiannon Giddens, Newly Minted MacArthur ‘Genius’ As a solo artist — and, before that, as a member of the Carolina Chocolate Drops — singer-songwriter Rhiannon Giddens has made a career out of revitalizing and invigorating decades' worth of music reflecting the African-American experience. That's meant ...
Views: 1,265 • Comments: 0 • Rating: 2
Lies About Black America Are ‘Central’ to Gun Ownership: A Reporter on What We Get Wrong About Gun Violence Lies that the GOP and Donald Trump promote all day long. “If you look at the neighborhoods where [gun violence] is most clustered,” Beckett said, it’s located in areas with high levels of poverty, low levels of education, and ...
Unshaken Defiance
Views: 1,891 • Comments: 0 • Rating: 1
St. Vincent Performs ‘Los Ageless’ One of Stephen's very favorite singer-songwriters collaborates with three pairs of boots to perform a song off her new album "Masseduction". Subscribe To "The Late Show" Channel HERE: bit.lyFor more content from "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert", click ...
Views: 1,497 • Comments: 0 • Rating: 1