TwitterFacebook

Ron Paul: AIDS Patients Are ‘Victimizing Innocent Citizens’

And women who are sexually harassed in the workplace should quit
Wingnuts • Views: 25,817

Ron Paul has been running like a scared rabbit away from his racist newsletters, because he knows that ugly, overt racism has become political poison.

But there are some kinds of bigotry that still play well with the conservative base. Soon there will come a day when haters like Ron Paul won’t be able to get away this kind of hate speech either: Paul Defends Past Criticism Of AIDS Patients.

The Texas congressman wrote in his book, “Freedom Under Siege,” that people with sexually transmitted diseases like AIDS bear some responsibility for their condition and should not burden others with the cost of their care.

“The individual suffering from AIDS certainly is a victim — frequently a victim of his own lifestyle — but this same individual victimizes innocent citizens by forcing them to pay for his care,” he wrote.

Asked about the comments on “Fox News Sunday,” Paul said: “I don’t know how you can change science.” Sexually transmitted diseases are “caused by sexual activity,” he said, and “in a free society people do dumb things, but it isn’t to be placed as a burden on other people, innocent people.”

“Why should they have to pay for the consequences?” he said.

Paul called that idea a “socialistic attitude” and said insurance companies should determine coverage. “The market should handle this,” he said.

Homophobia is still a great way for conservative politicians to scare the base into supporting them — and so is misogyny.

Paul also defended a passage from the same book that suggested victims of sexual harassment should quit.

“They have the right to work there or not work there,” he said, adding that federal law does not need to cover sexual harassment as violence in the workplace is already prohibited.

1 Targetpractice  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 12:43:08pm

Thank God that this year will be the last we have to deal with this loon as anything other than perhaps a Fox News commentator.

2 _RememberTonyC  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 12:43:36pm

Stupid + evil = luap nor

3 Stanghazi  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 12:45:42pm
The passer-by coaxed the monkey from the bushes into his backpack, and then called the authorities, according to the statement.

Sorry to go ot, just had to post the good news about the 17 year old monkey stolen from The SF zoo.

What a trusting old guy.

[Link: www.cnn.com...]

Now onto Ron Paul - cold hearted and not for a modern America.

4 jaunte  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 12:45:47pm

"People who breathe in are responsible for breathing in viruses; why should we all be burdened by something for which the breather should take responsibility."

5 Obdicut  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 12:46:24pm

I don't get how this logic works more with AIDS than with any other disease, really.

6 _RememberTonyC  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 12:47:47pm

re: #5 Obdicut

Logic and paulism cannot coexist

7 Feline Fearless Leader  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 12:48:45pm

Just need to get Ron the proper uniform and helmet.

8 Fat Bastard Vegetarian  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 12:48:50pm

re: #5 Obdicut

Hey Ron! Why don't you tackle smokers too?...

(More a part of your constituency than the Gays?)

9 Gus  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 12:49:41pm

We now await word from Andrew Sullivan and Glenn Greenwald.

As well as the "he'll legalize pot and stop the endless wars" cult.

10 Lord Baron Viscount Duke Earl Count Planckton  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 12:49:55pm

Aside from anything else that can be said, the assumption that all people with AIDS got it through the fault of their own is incredibly ignorant.

11 Targetpractice  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 12:51:37pm

re: #5 Obdicut

It's "Free Market Jesus" in action again, saying that government programs or regulations aimed at helping people with AIDS are "socialism," because insurance companies should be free to tell them to die quietly in the gutter.

12 Stanghazi  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 12:54:55pm

re: #8 Fat Bastard Vegetarian

Hey Ron! Why don't you tackle smokers too?...

(More a part of your constituency than the Gays?)

Exactly. Dare him to say no treatment for lung cancer.

Cold so cold.

13 SanFranciscoZionist  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 12:55:20pm

re: #3 Stanley Sea

What a trusting old guy.

[Link: www.cnn.com...]

Now onto Ron Paul - cold hearted and not for a modern America.

Banana Sam is home! YAY!!

14 sattv4u2  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 12:58:42pm

If you think of yourself as “liberal” a human being of any stripe but you support Ron Paul and his creepy libertarian fantasy politics, you should have your head examined

Sorry Charles,,, but FTFY

15 SanFranciscoZionist  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:01:00pm

re: #5 Obdicut

It doesn't, and, frankly, I don't think Paul thinks it does either. I think he thinks that insurance companies should be able to charge what they like, from who they like, and if you can't pay, stay healthy or die.

16 Lord Baron Viscount Duke Earl Count Planckton  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:03:14pm

re: #14 sattv4u2

If you think of yourself as “liberal” a human being of any stripe but you support GOP and their creepy conservatarian fantasy politics, you should have your head examined

Sorry Charles,,, but FTFY

ditto

17 sattv4u2  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:03:23pm

re: #15 SanFranciscoZionist

I wonder if he would still feel that way if
A) when he was practicing medicine insurance companies decided not to pay him for some services rendered
and
B) if he now had to pay full boat for his own coverage (rather than it being a gov't perk for him)

18 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:03:30pm

From STDs to pregnancies, these narrow minded assholes never once consider the victims of rape, molestation, malicious actions or medical accidents when condemning the afflicted.

19 Kronocide  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:03:42pm

re: #10 Sergey Romanov

So the ignorance is compounded when they are then blamed for 'terrorizing' other citizens to make them pay for it.

There's got to be a stronger term for what that is. The only thing I got is zombie or black hole. Or, like brain ebola.

What's scary is I used to think like that. I didn't have same thought here as Paul, but I had some libertarian tendencies and recognize the thought process. I've come to the conclusion that libertarianism means to be liberated from thinking things through.

20 Lord Baron Viscount Duke Earl Count Planckton  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:05:27pm

re: #19 BigPapa

I too had a bit of that affliction. I got better.

21 Vicious Babushka  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:06:37pm

Snow predicted tomorrow along the I-80. SHIT!

22 sattv4u2  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:08:15pm

re: #21 Alouette

Snow predicted tomorrow along the I-80. SHIT!

Just in time for the drive west?

23 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:08:18pm

re: #19 BigPapa

re: #20 Sergey Romanov

I'd still like to see mj legalized. But if it takes a ron paul to do it, I'll pass.

24 Targetpractice  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:08:39pm

re: #15 SanFranciscoZionist

Pretty much. I've heard more than one "libertarian" express such an opinion to me: Insurance companies should be able to charge what "the market" feels, should be able to decide who they will insure and who they won't, and be able to drop insurance if they feel like it. And if you don't like that, then you're free to sue them...no guarantee you'll win, you're actually very likely going to lose, but you at least have that "freedom."

Of course, most of the people expressing such opinions in my presence tend to be habitual smokers, alcoholics, or consumers of way too much junk food, who think that their years of insurance premiums means that the insurance companies will always be there to catch their ass when they inevitably get sick.

25 sattv4u2  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:09:21pm

re: #23 Slumbering Behemoth

re: #20 Sergey Romanov

Michael Jackson/ Jordan is illegal???!?!?

I mean ,,, I agree Air Jordans should be outlawed just for being butt ugly!!

26 goddamnedfrank  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:09:30pm

re: #15 SanFranciscoZionist

It's the same as his stance on abortion, ultimate cynicism. If he thought he could get rich providing comprehensive reproductive services he would have remained a practicing ob-gyn. Instead he decided to preach his own brand of prosperity theology to the social cons, and their mental landscape is bounded on three sides by hot buttery fucking.

Sex is bad mmmkay? You should only do it in a marriage mmmkay, through a hole in a sheet.

27 Vicious Babushka  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:10:23pm

re: #22 sattv4u2

Just in time for the drive west?

SUCKS!

28 Kronocide  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:11:46pm

re: #26 goddamnedfrank

... and their mental landscape is bounded on three sides by hot buttery fucking.

Epic thread winner.

29 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:12:19pm

re: #26 goddamnedfrank

Worst. Pr0n. Evar.

30 sattv4u2  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:12:26pm

re: #27 Alouette

SUCKS!

leave early
take your time
let the morons fly past you

You'll see them spun out in the median soon enough!!

Make a game of it! Mark down the type/ color of car that flies by, then match it up with someone spun out later!!

31 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:13:51pm

re: #28 BigPapa

I'd recommend "bounded on three sides by hot buttery fucking" as a rotating title, but I doubt such a recommendation would get much traction.

32 simoom  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:14:10pm
If you think of yourself as “liberal” but you support Ron Paul and his creepy libertarian fantasy politics, you should have your head examined.

Ignoring everything else that's wrong with Ron Paul's policy positions, I just don't get how Paul admirers, on the left, get past stuff like this:

(Paul fetishizes obliterating just about everything the federal gov't does)
33 sattv4u2  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:14:27pm

re: #31 Slumbering Behemoth

Maybe if you didn't use the butter!!!!!

34 Targetpractice  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:15:29pm

re: #32 simoom

[Video]
(Paul fetishizes obliterating just about everything the federal gov't does)

It's like trying to ponder the existence of groups like GOProud and the Log Cabin Republicans: Some folks pretty much have to divorce themselves from reality just for their actions to make any sense.

35 Lord Baron Viscount Duke Earl Count Planckton  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:15:32pm

re: #29 Slumbering Behemoth

Worst. Pr0n. Evar.

depends on camera work ///

36 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:15:41pm

re: #33 sattv4u2

Your mind is filthier than I give you credit for. Good on ya.

37 sattv4u2  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:16:02pm

re: #36 Slumbering Behemoth

Your mind is filthier than I give you credit for. Good on ya.

you have NO idea!!!

38 Lord Baron Viscount Duke Earl Count Planckton  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:16:22pm

re: #37 sattv4u2

you have NO idea!!!

giggity

39 Decatur Deb  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:16:23pm

re: #33 sattv4u2

Maybe if you didn't use the butter!!!

Ghee, the first pun thread of the year.

40 Idle Drifter  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:17:04pm

So when genetic diseases are thrown into the mix will Luap Nor support passive eugenics?

41 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:17:38pm

re: #32 simoom

HUD gone? That would make my disabled mother homeless, ya know. ron paul can suck a yellow snow cone.

42 sattv4u2  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:18:46pm

re: #39 Decatur Deb

Ghee, the first pun thread of the year.

You win
I'm whipped!

43 Decatur Deb  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:19:39pm

re: #42 sattv4u2

You win
I'm whipped!

Don't know if I can keep churning these out.

44 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:19:47pm

re: #37 sattv4u2

you have NO idea!!!

Ah, I forgot. You work in broadcasting. You might as well be one of them Hollyweird perverts.

45 Gus  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:19:54pm

The Ron Paul Chronicles

From the Huntsman camp. Listen to the content. It's also based on a "Twilight Zone" theme. In one segment you can hear Ron Paul talking about the CFR, Trilateral Commision, Skull and Bones, etc.

46 SanFranciscoZionist  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:19:59pm

re: #33 sattv4u2

Maybe if you didn't use the butter!!!

No, butter will take away the traction.

47 sattv4u2  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:20:35pm

re: #43 Decatur Deb

Don't know if I can keep churning these out.

Is it because you're uncultured! ??

48 SanFranciscoZionist  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:20:49pm

re: #39 Decatur Deb

Ghee, the first pun thread of the year.

It's curdling my blood. I may have to ask Charles to delete the thread. But dairy?

49 Decatur Deb  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:20:51pm

re: #46 SanFranciscoZionist

No, butter will take away the traction.

Don't think you clarified that.

50 SanFranciscoZionist  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:21:19pm

re: #46 SanFranciscoZionist

No, butter will take away the traction.

Also, ruin your sheets.

51 sattv4u2  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:21:36pm

re: #49 Decatur Deb

Don't think you clarified that.

She should stick to it

52 Decatur Deb  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:22:03pm

re: #48 SanFranciscoZionist

Probably--he's running a rather low-priced spread.

53 albusteve  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:23:18pm

Ron Paul sure has a knack for getting attention...I'm sorta surprised that people still consider him comment worthy....must be a slow year

54 Fat Bastard Vegetarian  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:23:44pm

re: #46 SanFranciscoZionist

No, butter will take away the traction.

Don't use Crisco! It's shortening!

55 Winny Spencer  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:24:00pm

re: #45 Gus 802

Now I like Huntsman better.

56 Decatur Deb  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:24:15pm

re: #53 albusteve

The next 15 hours or so will be the slowest political news of the blog-year. Enjoy.

57 sattv4u2  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:24:28pm

re: #52 Decatur Deb

Probably--he's running a rather low-priced spread.

You have to read into the margarines.

58 Gus  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:24:59pm
59 Targetpractice  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:25:10pm

re: #53 albusteve

Depending on which poll you read in Iowa, he's currently in either 2nd or 3rd place, so I'd say he's still pretty relevant.

60 Decatur Deb  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:25:57pm

re: #54 Fat Bastard Vegetarian

Don't use Crisco! It's shortening!

Thought we could draw you out.

61 sattv4u2  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:26:26pm

re: #59 Targetpractice, Worst of Both Worlds

Two words

Mike
Huckabee

62 Gus  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:26:43pm

Wow.

63 Targetpractice  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:27:33pm

re: #61 sattv4u2

Two words

Mike
Huckabee

Is probably kicking himself for not running this year.

64 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:27:35pm

re: #62 Gus 802

Indeed. "Banking community".

65 albusteve  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:27:39pm

re: #59 Targetpractice, Worst of Both Worlds

relevant to what?

66 Gus  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:28:02pm

re: #64 Slumbering Behemoth

Indeed. "Banking community".

Northeastern establishment.

Dog whistle?

67 sattv4u2  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:28:03pm

re: #60 Decatur Deb

Thought we could draw you out.

he makes me melt!

68 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:28:32pm

re: #65 albusteve

relevant to what?

Political discourse.

69 Decatur Deb  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:29:07pm

re: #67 sattv4u2

he makes me melt!

You must share some chemahstry.

70 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:29:34pm

re: #66 Gus 802

There's a reason why he won't disavow Stormfront money, and it ain't 'cuz he's broke.

71 Kronocide  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:30:35pm

re: #66 Gus 802

Northeastern establishment.

Dog whistle?

A nice dollop of hot buttery butter for that bagel.

72 Targetpractice  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:30:54pm

re: #65 albusteve

relevant to what?

re: #68 Slumbering Behemoth

Political discourse.

Not to mention as an anti-venom to the outpouring of pro-Paul lunacy that's come from all corners of the nation, as well as the web.

73 SanFranciscoZionist  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:31:34pm

re: #72 Targetpractice, Worst of Both Worlds

re: #68 Slumbering Behemoth

They're very committed. Or they should be committed. One of those.

74 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:31:56pm

Ya hear me, Paulbots? Your man is a stone cold, Jew-hating racist.

75 Gus  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:33:16pm

re: #70 Slumbering Behemoth

I think it's pretty clear...

Ron Paul is a racist, homophobic, sexist, anti-Semitic LibertAryan.

76 sattv4u2  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:33:23pm

re: #74 Slumbering Behemoth

Ya hear me, Paulbots? Your man is a stone cold, Jew-hating racist.

ummm,, eerrrr,,, thats why they ARE PaulBots!!

77 makeitstop  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:33:34pm

Happy New Year, Lizards.

Sorry to go OT, but this is just really stupid.

A state lawmaker in Indiana has introduced a bill that would set specific "performance standards" for renditions of the national anthem.

The legislation, drafted by state Sen. Vaneta Becker (R), creates guidelines for what constitutes an "appropriate" performance of "The Star-Spangled Banner." The law would apply to all performers at events sponsored by public schools and state universities, who would be required to sign a contract acknowledging the rules. Anyone intentionally violating the law could be slapped with a $25 fine.

So what constitutes an inappropriate performance? Becker says the law wouldn't apply to performers who simply lack talent, but she told the Indianapolis Star that she expects performances to hew to the traditional, "the way that we normally have it sung or heard throughout most of our state and our country." The guidelines would be determined by the State Department of Education and the Commission for Higher Education.

I'm so glad Indiana has solved all their other problems and can move on to trivial 'standards' for singing the national anthem.
///

78 Gus  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:33:40pm

There's more of course but I wanted to keep it brief.

79 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:34:11pm

re: #72 Targetpractice, Worst of Both Worlds

It needs to be done. This year has to be the last year that racist conspiracy monger runs for any office.

80 albusteve  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:34:21pm

re: #78 Gus 802

There's more of course but I wanted to keep it brief.

post it...be relevant

81 jaunte  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:34:29pm

re: #77 makeitstop

A $25 fine! Oh my!!

82 Gus  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:34:53pm

re: #80 albusteve

post it...be relevant

Don't have to. I have a large body of work out there already. ;)

83 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:35:00pm

re: #76 sattv4u2

Point made. :sigh:

84 Targetpractice  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:35:21pm

re: #79 Slumbering Behemoth

All the more reason to send his happy ass into retirement an utter disgrace, the trail of slime behind him a warning to future generations.

85 Gus  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:35:24pm

OK...

Ignorant, anti-science, creationist dipshit.

86 Decatur Deb  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:35:29pm

re: #77 makeitstop

Happy New Year, Lizards.

Sorry to go OT, but this is just really stupid.

///

Hendrix isn't listening.

87 Gus  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:35:56pm

Isolationist, naive, dangerous fool.

88 Decatur Deb  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:36:19pm

re: #84 Targetpractice, Worst of Both Worlds

Too late--he's reproduced.

89 Lord Baron Viscount Duke Earl Count Planckton  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:37:22pm

re: #85 Gus 802

OK...

Ignorant, anti-science, creationist dipshit.

That's like a mega-pleonasm, man!
///

90 jaunte  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:37:28pm

@secupp:

I'm told Trump just registered in Texas, third party. More to come.

91 The Ghost of a Flea  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:37:32pm

re: #43 Decatur Deb

Don't know if I can keep churning these out.

I know the negativity of this will probably put a beurre in you bonnet, but butter is difficult to maintain a thread of puns about: eventually, you'll be pressed into punning with olive the other edible oils, or start using butter-based recipes as a resauce.

92 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:37:52pm

re: #88 Decatur Deb

Guh. This year already sucks donkey balls.

93 Gus  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:38:04pm

@secupp:

Yeah. We can use another lunatic in the field.

94 Targetpractice  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:38:24pm

re: #88 Decatur Deb

Too late--he's reproduced.

And what I've heard of Son of Paul is he's a chip off the old blockhead. All the more reason to use his daddy's last hurrah to air out all the laundry. Either he'll take a hint and divorce himself from ol' dad's lunacy or he'll embrace it and shorten his own career in politics.

95 SanFranciscoZionist  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:39:09pm

re: #74 Slumbering Behemoth

Ya hear me, Paulbots? Your man is a stone cold, Jew-hating racist.

No he isn't! He didn't say that! Well, he didn't mean it! He meant something else! How important is it, anyway, when he'll end all the wars, and make me free at last? You're talking about the newsletters again! He didn't write those! Open your mind and educate yourself!

///

96 Stanghazi  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:39:13pm
97 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:39:15pm

re: #91 The Ghost of a Flea

My hat is off to you, sir. I'm too hungover to make with the puns myself.

98 Decatur Deb  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:39:17pm

re: #94 Targetpractice, Worst of Both Worlds

Air apparent.

99 Targetpractice  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:39:50pm

@secupp:

He won't last long. Just like last year, he'll use it to boost his ratings for awhile, nothing more.

100 jaunte  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:40:24pm

re: #99 Targetpractice, Worst of Both Worlds

Maybe Paul will go for a fourth party run.

101 sattv4u2  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:41:50pm

Maybe Paul will go for a fourth party run.

off a short pier!

102 Decatur Deb  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:42:07pm

Maybe Paul will go for a fourth party run.

Suggestions he won't, to keep the TPGOP from retaliating on Rand, but will push Gary Johnson as Libnut 'regent'.

103 Targetpractice  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:42:18pm

Maybe Paul will go for a fourth party run.

Some have said he won't, because it might cause the GOP leadership to come down on Randy's head. But I think he's too prideful to just pack it up after the primaries and will either stick in until the convention or take a third party nomination if offered.

He runs third party, then it's game over for the GOP.

104 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:42:45pm

re: #94 Targetpractice, Worst of Both Worlds

Dear Gravel, if I have to hear a campaign season full of "Aqua Buddhas" I'll nuke the moon.

How do these dinks ever get elected in the first place?

105 Targetpractice  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:43:34pm

re: #104 Slumbering Behemoth

How do these dinks ever get elected in the first place?

Party loyalty, lack of choices, and voter apathy.

New to these shores, are ya?

106 sattv4u2  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:45:01pm

re: #105 Targetpractice, Worst of Both Worlds

Party loyalty, lack of choices, and voter apathy.

New to these shores, are ya?

Exactly

Even the "Throw Them All Out" crowd has the caveat of "but not my guy,,,, my guys doing a good job ,, it's all those other ones!!!"

107 Vicious Babushka  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:45:38pm

I should be all excited and happy for my daughter's engagement party tonight and all I can think about is the driving conditions on I-80 tomorrow.

If the weather gets too bad we can pull in at Du Bois for the night.

108 Decatur Deb  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:46:18pm

re: #107 Alouette

If the weather gets too bad we can pull in at Du Bois for the night.

I'll have what Du Bois in the back room are having.

109 albusteve  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:46:23pm

re: #107 Alouette

If the weather gets too bad we can pull in at Du Bois for the night.

Wyoming?

110 sattv4u2  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:46:46pm

re: #107 Alouette

If the weather gets too bad we can pull in at Du Bois for the night.

Pennsylvania?
Nebraska?
Illinois!?!?!

111 Targetpractice  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:46:54pm

re: #106 sattv4u2

Exactly

Even the "Throw Them All Out" crowd has the caveat of "but not my guy,,, my guys doing a good job ,, it's all those other ones!!!"

"He may be a bastard, but he's our bastard."

See also: Ted Kennedy, Strom Thurmond, Robert Byrd, Joe Biden, Joe Libermann...shit, this list might shorter if I just listed everybody who hasn't sat in office since the 80s or earlier.

112 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:47:14pm

re: #107 Alouette

In my entire life, I've only had to drive in snow for about three weeks. I don't like it.

Go slow and stay safe, please.

113 Vicious Babushka  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:48:02pm

re: #109 albusteve

Wyoming?

Pennsylvania.

114 sattv4u2  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:49:11pm

re: #112 Slumbering Behemoth

Go slow and stay safe, please.

heh,,, did it every winter since I had a license till I was 45 and moved to Georgia,,, and even then have gone back to Mass in the winter several times since

Just have to be smart and careful

115 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:49:39pm

re: #105 Targetpractice, Worst of Both Worlds

New to these shores, are ya?

I may have been born at night, but I wasn't born yesterday.

/wait, what?

116 The Ghost of a Flea  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:49:44pm

re: #93 Gus 802

Yeah. We can use another lunatic in the field.

Not a lunatic. A narcissistic hack crook who'd do anything for a little more undeserved attention and luchre.

The toupee, on the other hand, has grown mad as it has survived through the centuries...but that's a story for another time.

re: #94 Targetpractice, Worst of Both Worlds

Our Senator Rand is dumb as a damn post, but seems very much in keeping with his father regarding tearing down the federal government which coincidentally lets bigots do what they want on the community and state legislative levels

117 Gus  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:49:48pm

re: #112 Slumbering Behemoth

Go slow and stay safe, please.

You get used to it. I remember when I first moved to Denver I'd sometimes get a little to worried. There are techniques to adhere to. It's still a little concerning sometimes. And as is often the case it's the other drivers that make matters worse. Especially the ones that get too damn aggressive in the snow. So usually now I notice two types of drivers: the ones that go way too slow and the ones that go way to fast.

118 Vicious Babushka  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:50:02pm

re: #112 Slumbering Behemoth

Go slow and stay safe, please.

Ice is worse than snow.

I just keep repeating to myself:
I have a nice SUV
Anti lock brakes
Air bags
Michelin tires, good traction

Acceleration sucks, though.

119 Fat Bastard Vegetarian  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:50:29pm

Speaking of victimizing innocent citizens...

States love fuckin' people too!

120 PhillyPretzel  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:50:46pm

re: #113 Alouette
Weather Forecast for Dubois PA: [Link: forecast.weather.gov...]
Be careful. Also remember the PA Turnpike is one of the first roads to be cleared in snowy weather.

121 Targetpractice  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:51:32pm

re: #116 The Ghost of a Flea

re: #94 Targetpractice, Worst of Both Worlds

Come now, don't you know, business should be allowed to declare themselves "Whites Only" if they want. I'm pretty sure it's in the Constitution...somewhere...give me a sec...

122 Fat Bastard Vegetarian  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:52:01pm

re: #118 Alouette

Ice is worse than snow.

Snow is something you drive in.

Ice is something pretty that you watch from your living room.

123 Gus  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:52:14pm

Never over-correct your steering.
Light touch on the steering wheel.
Steer in the opposite direction if you spin out.
Always pump your brakes (lightly).
No jerky movements...

124 Targetpractice  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:52:15pm

re: #119 Fat Bastard Vegetarian

Speaking of victimizing innocent citizens...

States love fuckin' people too!

The Lottery: A tax on those bad at math.

125 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:52:26pm

re: #118 Alouette

I've done the ice thing before as well. That shit is SCARY!

126 albusteve  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:52:59pm

re: #117 Gus 802

Denver drivers are clueless when it comes to snow...laughable even

127 sattv4u2  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:53:22pm

re: #122 Fat Bastard Vegetarian

Snow is something you drive in.

Ice is something pretty that you watch from add to your glass of vodka while sitting in your living room.

ftfy

128 Decatur Deb  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:53:38pm

re: #121 Targetpractice, Worst of Both Worlds

You have to serve everyone at your lunch counter, but you only have to give some 3/5ths of a stool.

129 Fat Bastard Vegetarian  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:55:45pm

re: #128 Decatur Deb

Speaking of lunch counters and stools... uh... nevermind.

130 sattv4u2  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:55:57pm

re: #128 Decatur Deb

I don't think I would want any more of anyones shit than 3/5ths!!

As matter of fact ,, no more than 1/5th ,,, as a matter of fact no more than ,,,,,

131 Vicious Babushka  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:56:01pm

re: #120 PhillyPretzel

Weather Forecast for Dubois PA: [Link: forecast.weather.gov...]

We are taking the 80 through PA, the turnpike is too far out of the way.

132 Gus  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:56:13pm

re: #126 albusteve

Denver drivers are clueless when it comes to snow...laughable even

Yeah. My experience is that all drivers are clueless. When I lived in New Jersey we used to think that Connecticut drivers are clueless. And vice versa. Basically everyone thinks (fill in the blank) drivers are clueless. Like this trip I took once where I found myself driving around the Ship Rock area of New Mexico. Pretty crazy down there.

133 Decatur Deb  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:56:42pm

re: #130 sattv4u2

I don't think I would want any more of anyones shit than 3/5ths!!

That's what the kids at Woolworth's said.

134 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:56:51pm

re: #126 albusteve

Worse are Seattle drivers after the first rain.

WE JUST WENT THROUGH TEN MONTHS OF RAIN TWO MONTHS AGO! HOW CAN YOU FORGET?!?!

135 sattv4u2  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:57:29pm

re: #133 Decatur Deb

That's what the kids at Woolworth's said.

Ahh ,,, Woolworths ,,,,, them, and W.T Grants

fond memories!

136 PhillyPretzel  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:57:33pm

re: #131 Alouette
I-80 is a well traveled highway. That too is cleared pretty fast in bad weather.

137 Fat Bastard Vegetarian  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 1:59:39pm

re: #131 Alouette

We are taking the 80 through PA, the turnpike is too far out of the way.

There's some elevation along that route, especially as you get to the Hazelton area. Slow and steady wins the race.

138 albusteve  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:00:36pm

re: #132 Gus 802

NM drivers are pretty bad, but in a very conservative, non confrontational way...many drivers nearly stop entering a freeway...if the speed limit is 55 they drive 45...but friendly at the least...man, I was up north in MI a couple of weeks ago and was amazed how aggressive and obnoxious people were...driving 85 down the freeway and there is always somebody right on your tail, ten feet behind...tailgating and camping out in the left lane are illegal in many states

139 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:00:45pm

re: #132 Gus 802

The worst driving I've seen has to be in Las Vegas.

140 Gus  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:01:33pm

re: #139 Slumbering Behemoth

The worst driving I've seen has to be in Las Vegas.

My two were Chicago and Toronto. Pretty insane.

141 Obdicut  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:02:47pm

re: #139 Slumbering Behemoth

The worst driving I've seen has to be in Las Vegas.

Salt Lake City, when I visited, had a special kind of bad driving: Everyone appeared to be going the speed limit, even on totally empty highways.

142 albusteve  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:02:50pm

re: #140 Gus 802

My two were Chicago and Toronto. Pretty insane.

Chicago is world class badness...DC and north VA are right up there too

143 Achilles Tang  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:02:58pm
“ — but this same individual victimizes innocent citizens by forcing them to pay for his care,” he wrote.

Hey, I have an idea, let's call it the individual mandate. It goes like this.....

144 Decatur Deb  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:03:28pm

re: #140 Gus 802

My two were Chicago and Toronto. Pretty insane.

Seoul--not of this world.

145 Fat Bastard Vegetarian  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:03:45pm

re: #142 albusteve

Chicago is world class badness...DC and north VA are right up there too

Northern VA and DC? It's hard to get up enough momentum to notice if anyone's driving poorly.

146 Gus  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:04:13pm

re: #141 Obdicut

Really? See my experience was the complete opposite. I was on I-80 East during rush hour. It was rather crowded and damn we were going fast. 85-90 MPH top speed on the left lane.

147 albusteve  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:04:17pm

re: #144 Decatur Deb

Seoul--not of this world.

two words...
Boston

pack your Mac 10 just in case

148 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:04:23pm

I mean, c'mon Seattle. When you spend over 80% of the year getting rained on, how do you forget that water makes roads slippery after a couple of short, sunny months?

149 Varek Raith  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:04:58pm

re: #141 Obdicut

Welcome to Maryland!

150 Gus  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:05:03pm

re: #144 Decatur Deb

Seoul--not of this world.

Oh yeah. Now in other countries that includes driving and the occasional fist fight.

151 Decatur Deb  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:05:30pm

re: #147 albusteve

two words...
Boston

pack your Mac 10 just in case

My uncle tried to teach me to drive one week in Ayer--took me into Boston for his 'test'.

152 sattv4u2  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:06:00pm

Route 285 around Atlanta

People think it's a NASCAR track,,,, go as fast as you can till you come up on someones bumper ,, then "draft" them till you spin them out

153 b_sharp  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:06:03pm
"If you think of yourself as liberal but you support Ron Paul and his creepy libertarian fantasy politics, you should have your head examined."

But don't expect Ron Paul to pay for it.

154 albusteve  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:06:09pm

re: #145 Fat Bastard Vegetarian

yeah, what a mess...and it's such a cool region to visit...tourists must be blown outa their socks back there

155 Sionainn  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:06:37pm

re: #139 Slumbering Behemoth

The worst driving I've seen has to be in Las Vegas.

I live in Las Vegas and it's pretty bad. People drive like they are in a bubble, not paying any attention to what any other drivers are doing. It sucks.

156 Gus  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:06:47pm

Ugh. Someone say Mass? I remember biking through New Hampshire and Vermont. Young college students from Mass. Terrible drivers.

157 sattv4u2  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:06:47pm

re: #151 Decatur Deb

Ayer to Boston ,,, Route 2 ,,,,,, 6 rotaries along the way

158 Decatur Deb  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:06:50pm

re: #152 sattv4u2

Route 285 around Atlanta

People think it's a NASCAR track,,, go as fast as you can till you come up on someones bumper ,, then "draft" them till you spin them out

Yeah, that.

159 Varek Raith  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:06:59pm

re: #145 Fat Bastard Vegetarian

Into the mixing bowl we go!

160 researchok  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:07:04pm
161 Fat Bastard Vegetarian  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:07:28pm

Sihui "Hannah" Xie may be one of the stupidest people in the universe.

162 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:07:29pm

re: #150 Gus 802

Sometimes with a donkey, even.

163 albusteve  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:07:32pm

re: #151 Decatur Deb

Boston is the worst ever...no shit...mean ass people up there

164 Gus  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:07:38pm

re: #155 Sionainn

Lot of drinking going on over there.

165 Decatur Deb  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:07:51pm

re: #157 sattv4u2

Ayer to Boston ,,, Route 2 ,,, 6 rotaries along the way

More than 6 if you go around each a couple times.

166 sattv4u2  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:07:54pm

re: #156 Gus 802

Problem is ,,, most of those students went to school on Mass ,,, but weren't "from" Mass

167 Gus  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:08:27pm

re: #166 sattv4u2

Well yeah. Like I'm a "Denver driver" now but I'm not from Denver. ;)

168 Fat Bastard Vegetarian  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:08:30pm

re: #159 Varek Raith

Into the mixing bowl we go!

At the speed of smell.

169 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:09:26pm

re: #155 Sionainn

My buddy used to send me news clippings about people driving through crowded bus stops there.

He quit sending them after a while. He was spending too much money on stamps.

170 Gus  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:09:42pm

re: #166 sattv4u2

IOW...young college students! Or just young and inexperienced drivers. Especially now with the texting BS. Sort of like following some contractor on a cell phone. What's up with that?

171 Stanghazi  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:10:04pm

re: #155 Sionainn

You've been behind my 85 year old uncle. In his Prius. I will never ride with him again. Oh and sorry.

172 Fat Bastard Vegetarian  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:10:32pm

Subaru Foresters.

173 Sionainn  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:10:32pm

re: #164 Gus 802

Lot of drinking going on over there.

Yep, 24 hours a day.

174 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:10:47pm

re: #164 Gus 802

That pisses me off. Cabs are so freaking cheap up there. If you can buy a drink, you can take a gawt-damn cab.

175 Killgore Trout  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:11:27pm

re: #134 Slumbering Behemoth

Worse are Seattle drivers after the first rain.

WE JUST WENT THROUGH TEN MONTHS OF RAIN TWO MONTHS AGO! HOW CAN YOU FORGET?!?!

Here in Portland drivers are slowpokes but not too bad. The most dangerous time is the first few nice sunny days of spring where about 10% of the drivers (usually young men) roll down their windows, turn up their stereos and zoom around swerving in and out of traffic like maniacs. It only lasts a week or two.

176 HappyWarrior  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:11:33pm

Paul's such a reactionary douchebag.

177 Varek Raith  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:11:37pm

re: #172 Fat Bastard Vegetarian

Subaru Foresters.

Oh geez, who got FBV started on the Foresters????

178 sattv4u2  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:11:45pm

re: #165 Decatur Deb

More than 6 if you go around each a couple times.

The one in North Concord is nice,, take the wrong exit off if it and you're inside MCI Concord (Mass Correctional Institution ,,,,,)

[Link: en.wikipedia.org...]

179 Bear  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:12:01pm

Another weird law. But it may help with over population a bit. [Link: chicago.cbslocal.com...]

180 Sionainn  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:12:07pm

re: #169 Slumbering Behemoth

He quit sending them after a while. He was spending too much money on stamps.

It was stunning how many times that happened. It seemed to be a combination of impaired drivers and having the bus stops x-number of feet past an intersection. People would take turns too fast and plow right into the people waiting at the bus stop.

181 albusteve  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:12:10pm

when I was younger I loved zooming into Chicago....90mph through construction zones, temporary pavement, pylons, barriers, wicked lane changes, screaming along 2ft from a gas tanker going faster than you are, bumper to bumper etc...good god, drive or die

182 Decatur Deb  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:13:01pm

BBL

183 Vicious Babushka  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:13:01pm

re: #140 Gus 802

My two were Chicago and Toronto. Pretty insane.

New York: worst driving in the U.S. especially in Manhattan.
Toronto: No problems ever, driving in Toronto.

Two nights ago I was driving very slowly in Brooklyn, with my hazard lights blinking. Another driver pulled up next to me, (probably saw the MI plate) and asked "Are you lost?" I said "I'm just looking for a place to park."

184 Randall Gross  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:13:03pm

While he's making kissing and cooing noises at libertarians, bible thumping bigotry trumps liberty for Ron Paul every time.

185 sattv4u2  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:13:50pm

re: #183 Alouette

"I'm just looking for a place to park."

Have you found one yet??

186 Varek Raith  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:13:54pm

re: #183 Alouette

New York: worst driving in the U.S. especially in Manhattan.
Toronto: No problems ever, driving in Toronto.

Do what we do in DC.
Bump other cars until yours fits.

187 Sionainn  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:14:11pm

re: #171 Stanley Sea

The sad thing is that it's not just the older folks. Parents in schools zones are particularly bad, idiots talking on their cell phones (law says "hands-free only" as of today), and just your general regular asshole drivers. It's gotten to the point that I will only drive across town if it is something that is really important to me (and not much is that important, LOL).

188 albusteve  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:14:45pm

the entire I95 corridore is a friggin madhouse

189 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:15:05pm

re: #180 Sionainn

Yeah, the frequency of that sort of thing was freaky. Like some kind of curse or something.

190 Gus  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:16:27pm

re: #183 Alouette

New York: worst driving in the U.S. especially in Manhattan.
Toronto: No problems ever, driving in Toronto.

I was just thinking about Trenton. But yeah, Toronto. Problem was that I drove through there during rush hour in a little bitty Honda Civic with a loaded roof top carrier. That's the thing right there, rush hour traffic which stinks in just about any city across the country.

Here's another one... Hwy. 17 from San Francisco to Santa Cruz. Which now reminds me of Hwy. 36 from Denver to Boulder. Same demographic more or less.

191 Varek Raith  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:16:32pm

Thank Zod for Metro.

192 SanFranciscoZionist  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:16:41pm

re: #161 Fat Bastard Vegetarian

Sihui "Hannah" Xie may be one of the stupidest people in the universe.

The commenters are mostly shrei-ing about how much they hate TSA.

193 sattv4u2  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:16:48pm

re: #186 Varek Raith

Do what we do in DC.
Bump Steal other cars until yours fits.

ftfy

194 Sionainn  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:17:08pm

re: #174 Slumbering Behemoth

Cabs aren't cheap in Las Vegas...at least if you are going any distance at all.

195 Sionainn  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:17:45pm

re: #172 Fat Bastard Vegetarian

Subaru Foresters.

What's wrong with Foresters? I used to have one and I'm an excellent driver.

196 Gus  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:17:59pm

re: #191 Varek Raith

Thank Zod for Metro the Transporter.

FTFY

Beam me up Scotty!

197 Varek Raith  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:18:03pm

re: #195 Sionainn

What's wrong with Foresters? I used to have one and I'm an excellent driver.

...

198 Targetpractice  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:18:05pm

re: #191 Varek Raith

Thank Zod for Metro.

With or without the ghoul infestations?

199 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:18:12pm

re: #194 Sionainn

Cabs aren't cheap in Las Vegas...at least if you are going any distance at all.

I was going from motel to casino and back, so maybe my perception was a bit skewed. ;)

200 Gus  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:18:37pm

re: #197 Varek Raith

...

White Buicks. 4 door.

201 Gus  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:18:58pm

No, no, no! Don't get behind the Buick!

202 Fat Bastard Vegetarian  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:19:28pm

re: #177 Varek Raith

Oh geez, who got FBV started on the Foresters???

No one really has to get me started on them.

I hate them and (generally) the people who drive them.

Yesterday, though, I got stuck behind one of these yesterday going twenty miles under the speed limit for ten miles and a Forester passed him on a double yellow line.

The Toyota van was festooned with hippie bumper stickers and had aftermarket tail lights mounted above the back window for safety.

203 Sionainn  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:20:08pm

re: #197 Varek Raith

...

Uh oh...

204 albusteve  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:20:47pm

re: #202 Fat Bastard Vegetarian

No one really has to get me started on them.

I hate them and the people who drive them.

you hate people that drive certain cars?...interesting

205 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:20:54pm

re: #200 Gus 802

I used to have one of these. Gawd I loved that beast, but she was killing me on gas. I had to let her go.

206 Fat Bastard Vegetarian  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:21:43pm

re: #204 albusteve

you hate people that drive certain cars?...interesting

Generally? Yes.

207 Gus  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:22:10pm

re: #205 Slumbering Behemoth

Is that car or a house?

208 Sionainn  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:22:25pm

re: #199 Slumbering Behemoth

I just put my address in a "taxi fare finder" site for a trip to Caesar's Palace, a place I used to hang out a lot, and the fare was $127.45!

209 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:22:38pm

re: #207 Gus 802

Both.

210 Fat Bastard Vegetarian  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:22:54pm

re: #195 Sionainn

What's wrong with Foresters? I used to have one and I'm an excellent driver.

I'm sure you've never had an accident. Never gotten a speeding ticket. And never exceeded 45mph.

211 Sionainn  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:22:57pm

re: #201 Gus 802

No, no, no! Don't get behind the Buick!

I used to drive a Buick and I'm an excellent driver.

212 Varek Raith  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:23:12pm

re: #208 Sionainn

Great googly moogly.

213 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:23:50pm

re: #208 Sionainn

0_0

214 Fat Bastard Vegetarian  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:23:57pm

re: #211 Sionainn

I used to drive a Buick and I'm an excellent driver.

I just laughed out loud. Thank you. My first "spewer" of the new year.

215 Gus  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:24:06pm

re: #211 Sionainn

I used to drive a Buick and I'm an excellent driver.

Yep. But whenever I see a white Buick I'm reminded of when I used to live in South Jersey around the senior citizen villages.

216 sattv4u2  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:24:39pm

re: #211 Sionainn

I used to drive a Buick and I'm an excellent driver.

Did dad let you drive it in the driveway?

217 b_sharp  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:25:32pm

re: #123 Gus 802

Never over-correct your steering.
Light touch on the steering wheel.
Steer in the opposite direction if you spin out.
Always pump your brakes (lightly).
No jerky movements...

Everything but the brake pumping. If you lose traction don't touch your brakes, steer your way out of it, even if it means choosing to drive into a snowbank instead of another vehicle.

Every year, right after the first snow I go practice on an empty parking lot. I get into skids and out of skids without touching the break.

It helps.

218 Vicious Babushka  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:25:39pm

re: #215 Gus 802

I used to drive a white Buick, then I traded it in for a beige Buick.

219 Gus  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:25:42pm

Wut? Google changed and then changed again?

220 Feline Fearless Leader  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:25:55pm

re: #172 Fat Bastard Vegetarian

Subaru Foresters.

Yea yea yea. I've heard about you being behind my FSM marked Forester on I-95 before.

:p

221 Sionainn  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:26:22pm

re: #210 Fat Bastard Vegetarian

The last accident I had was backing into a car with no damage to either. The last speeding ticket I got was about 10 years ago and I just drove to and from California at an average highway speed of 75-80 mph. ;-)

222 Gus  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:26:31pm

re: #218 Alouette

I used to drive a white Buick, then I traded it in for a beige Buick.

Image: Picture-1971-Buick-Electra-225-front-side-view.jpg

223 sattv4u2  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:26:37pm

re: #208 Sionainn

My house to Caesers ,,,,

$4,634.16

224 Fat Bastard Vegetarian  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:27:03pm

re: #215 Gus 802

Funny. My dad's new wife is 78, learned to drive at the age of 58... drives a white Buick. He moved her out to the country, and she refuses to drive on mountain roads.

Your assumption is validated.

225 sattv4u2  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:27:03pm

re: #208 Sionainn

re: #223 sattv4u2

My house to Caesers ,,,

$4,634.16

I don't think that includes the tip ,,,, or the food ,,,,

226 albusteve  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:27:08pm

re: #218 Alouette

I used to drive a white Buick, then I traded it in for a beige Buick.

I had a gold Buick...65 Wildcat coupe...mint condition

227 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:27:13pm

re: #219 Gus 802

Heh. I just googled Google.

228 Sionainn  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:27:26pm

re: #215 Gus 802

I have never owned a white car. Being in the desert, that's what a lot of people choose. I refuse to be that practical.

229 albusteve  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:28:43pm

re: #228 Sionainn

my 04 Jetta is white

230 b_sharp  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:28:49pm

re: #148 Slumbering Behemoth

To them, hydroplaning is a trip to a foreign beach.

231 Varek Raith  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:28:56pm

re: #223 sattv4u2

My house to Caesers ,,,

$4,634.16

$4200.

232 Varek Raith  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:29:22pm

re: #227 Slumbering Behemoth

Heh. I just googled Google.

That explains the temporal paradox my scanners picked up.

233 Feline Fearless Leader  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:29:57pm

Ah. Varek's favorite part of Ep VI just ended on Spike. Many Ewoks have been fried.

234 Gus  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:30:52pm

re: #232 Varek Raith

That explains the temporal paradox my scanners picked up.

All I know is that this morning their menu set-up was different then this afternoon. I was just getting used to the new set-up. Now it's back to version whatever it was before. Typical. Youtube just finished changing theirs.

235 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:31:08pm

re: #233 oaktree

My six year old self would want to punch me, but man I hate Lucas.

236 TedStriker  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:31:23pm

re: #233 oaktree

Too bad the Ewoks win...

237 Fat Bastard Vegetarian  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:31:26pm

re: #223 sattv4u2

My house to Caesers ,,,

$4,634.16

$6,686.62

238 Varek Raith  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:31:59pm

re: #237 Fat Bastard Vegetarian

$6,686.62

Damn!

239 Sionainn  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:32:25pm

re: #216 sattv4u2

Did dad let you drive it in the driveway?

LOL. It was the first car I bought on my own at age 18 while I was a senior in high school. Prior to that, I drove the family's Toyota pickup truck and was responsible for all the maintenance on it. The clutch went out on me and my dad blamed me for it, even though the clutch was due to go out based on the mileage on the truck. He had a hissy fit in front of a mechanic's place where I had managed to pull into the parking lot before I couldn't drive any further, being rude to the mechanic who had been very nice to me and generally making an ass of himself. As soon as he went out of town for work, I withdrew money from my savings account and bought a '69 Buick Riviera GS. He had a fit when he came home and saw it. :-)

240 Fat Bastard Vegetarian  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:32:32pm

re: #238 Varek Raith

Damn!

Oh! Don't worry. I ain't going.

241 b_sharp  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:32:33pm

re: #206 Fat Bastard Vegetarian

Generally? Yes.

I drive a Subaru Impreza.

242 Feline Fearless Leader  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:32:54pm

re: #236 talon_262

Too bad the Ewoks win...

Until all the Death Star rubble lands on the moon. Not enough environmentalists in the Rebellion around to prevent the cover-up of that disaster.

243 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:33:04pm

I was six when Star Wars came out. Vader was my hero. I was a messed up kid.

244 Varek Raith  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:33:13pm
By: Carlos Arrese, Jeremy Levine, Mark Aylett
Start: London, England
End: Cape Town, South Africa
Date: June 03 - October 17 1994
Length: 34,908 Km - 21,691 Miles
Cost: $64,656 USD

O_o

245 Fat Bastard Vegetarian  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:33:46pm

re: #241 b_sharp

Not a Forester. You are duly un-hated.

246 Jimmi the Grey  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:33:59pm

re: #179 Bear

In Minneapolis outskirts I once sat in a turn lane at a red for like 10 minutes waiting for it to trigger...was a cop in the parking lot across the way. I ended up putting the bike on it's kickstand and running over to trigger the ped/walk light. Could see the officer still laughing as the light changed and I rode away.

247 nines09  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:34:04pm

OT...In Ron Pauls' world you all get what you deserve and should shoulder the burden yourself. It's a "personal responsibility" meme that has nothing to do with reality. I could ramble on but in my world Ron Paul is a dysfunctional loon who says a lot of sentences that make sense. The paragraphs are nuts.

248 Fat Bastard Vegetarian  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:34:21pm

re: #243 Slumbering Behemoth

I was six when Star Wars came out. Vader was my hero. I was a messed up kid.

C'mon! He has a gargoyle at the National Cathedral!

249 Sionainn  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:35:14pm

re: #229 albusteve

my 04 Jetta is white

I think it also had to do with the fact that my dad was always going on and on about white vehicles being better in the desert and that's all he ever bought to this day.

250 Fat Bastard Vegetarian  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:36:13pm

re: #249 Sionainn

Drove a convertible from vegas once... dark colored... diet cokes EXPLODING in the trunk.

251 Sionainn  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:36:24pm

re: #241 b_sharp

I drive a Subaru Impreza.

I also drove one of those and a Baja.

252 Sionainn  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:37:36pm

re: #250 Fat Bastard Vegetarian

Why were the diet Cokes exploding?

253 sattv4u2  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:37:56pm

re: #237 Fat Bastard Vegetarian

$6,686.62

I liked this part of the directions

Keep right at the fork
Passing through Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico
Entering Arizona

you miss that fork ,, ,you are Sca REWED!!!!

254 Feline Fearless Leader  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:38:36pm

re: #253 sattv4u2

I liked this part of the directions

Keep right at the fork
Passing through Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico
Entering Arizona

you miss that fork ,, ,you are Sca REWED!!!

Left turn at Albuquerque!

255 Fat Bastard Vegetarian  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:39:03pm

I was doing a thing on FB where I would take a picture of a Forester doing something slow and aggravating. I stopped after two weeks and ten pictures later.

I was concerned that I was posting their license number and stuff.

They (with one exception) would not have their picture taken by me unless they were at least five miles under the speed limit.

Yes, I did it while I was driving.

256 Gus  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:39:07pm

re: #224 Fat Bastard Vegetarian

Funny. My dad's new wife is 78, learned to drive at the age of 58... drives a white buick. He moved her out to the country, and she refuses to drive on mountain roads.

Your assumption is validated.

Yeah, I profile. I don't profile the driver's personality of course but if I'm coming up to a light and see a dump truck, a Buick or a school bus I'm usually trying to gauge who's going to move when the light turns green. People do this all the time and I've seen lines of cars get into the left lane to avoid the dump truck only to find that the dump truck (which happens to be empty) is moving faster. The Buick bias is as I explained in that it was a very popular car with senior citizens when I lived near Toms River.

257 Fat Bastard Vegetarian  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:39:31pm

re: #252 Sionainn

Why were the diet Cokes exploding?

It was a hundred and twelve degrees.

258 Gus  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:39:50pm

That and blue hair. If the driver has blue hair I try and avoid getting behind her. Unless it's some punk rocker.

259 b_sharp  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:39:55pm

re: #221 Sionainn

I've driven >1,000,000Kms with 4 fender benders, 3 speeding tickets and 1 undue care and attention ticket (bald tires, wet road, 17yo).

That includes a fair bit of street racing in the '70s.

Everybody does stupid things on occasion, some of us many times.

260 b_sharp  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:41:54pm

re: #229 albusteve

my 04 Jetta is white

I've owned 4 Fords in my life, all white. I've owned a dozen others, none were white.

Strange coincidence.

261 Fat Bastard Vegetarian  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:42:13pm

My fifty-thousandth post.

Don't think I've said much in that time.

I'll try for less on my next 50K.

262 Sionainn  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:42:21pm

re: #257 Fat Bastard Vegetarian

It was a hundred and twelve degrees.

Ah. I've never put sodas in the trunk, so maybe that's why I've never experienced such a phenomenon.

263 Gus  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:42:55pm

re: #259 b_sharp

That includes a fair bit of street racing in the '70s.

Everybody does stupid things on occasion, some of us many times.

Yep. There's no point in getting mad with most drivers. Which unfortunately isn't always the case. That leads to road rage. I've been cut off many times by other drivers and I always try and wave as if to say, "I understand it was a mistake."

264 Stanghazi  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:43:00pm

re: #211 Sionainn

My aunt in Vegas just called. I aware I conjured them up!

265 Fat Bastard Vegetarian  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:43:04pm

re: #262 Sionainn

It was awesome! Like canons going off.

It was a rental, so we really didn't care.

266 Feline Fearless Leader  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:43:07pm

re: #256 Gus 802

I do the left lane on turnpike tunnels by default based on that sort of predictive behavior.

Hmm, I managed to miss the parade in Philadelphia today. Poor me./

267 Gus  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:44:01pm

re: #266 oaktree

Hmm, I managed to miss the parade in Philadelphia today. Poor me./

I love to speed up in tunnels. Not by much but it's a pretty cool effect driving through tunnels.

268 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:44:19pm

re: #259 b_sharp

"Undue care and attention ticket".

You Canucks are so cute. 'round here it's called "reckless driving".

269 Gus  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:44:49pm

Or a motorhome... a travel trailer. Boom! Get on the left lane at 500 yards.

270 PhillyPretzel  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:44:52pm

re: #266 oaktree
I was home all day and I missed it too.

271 Randall Gross  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:44:56pm

I used to drive a 2-door '71 Monaco, I called her Princess Grace.

272 Sionainn  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:45:23pm

re: #265 Fat Bastard Vegetarian

It was awesome! Like canons going off.

It was a rental, so we really didn't care.

I'm laughing at what it must have looked like inside that trunk. Reminds me of the time I checked the oil before a trip, added some oil, forgot to put the cap back on, and discovered the problem about 10 miles into my trip when black smoke started pouring from under my hood. It wasn't so funny then.

273 Romantic Heretic  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:45:36pm

re: #139 Slumbering Behemoth

The worst driving I've seen has to be in Las Vegas.

They're big on gambling there.

274 Gus  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:46:22pm

Unless of course you're Tim Tebow in which case you stay in the right lane and get behind the motorhome.

275 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:46:36pm

re: #272 Sionainn

I've done that.

276 Gus  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:47:08pm

re: #274 Gus 802

Then go really slow and jump out of the car and let someone else take your car away from you.

277 Randall Gross  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:47:46pm

Worst driving: Olathe Kansas, they tend to herd up, drive too slow, and forget things like turn signals, lane tending, and traffic signs.

278 b_sharp  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:48:12pm

re: #268 Slumbering Behemoth

"Undue care and attention ticket".

You Canucks are so cute. 'round here it's called "reckless driving".

I forgot to mention I was probably over .04 too.

279 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:49:05pm

re: #274 Gus 802

Stop with the christian persecution, you meanie!!!

280 Sionainn  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:49:36pm

re: #275 Slumbering Behemoth

I've done that.

I thought I was the only one!

281 Gus  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:52:12pm

re: #279 Slumbering Behemoth

Stop with the christian persecution, you meanie!!!

[Video]

Ha! That's funny. I never thought about that. It would be highly illogical to use Tim Tebow's current losses to argue against God. Pathetic to say the least. Fox News is being goofy as usual.

282 Slumbering Behemoth Stinks  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 2:58:37pm

re: #281 Gus 802

Fox & Friends: Making up "attacks" on Christianity from whole cloth in order to take swipes at imaginary atheists so you don't have to.

283 Bear  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 3:00:44pm

re: #250 Fat Bastard Vegetarian

Reminds me of a time when in Reno on a hot day, I opened a pop top can of soda. Had the car window down. The shook up soda shot out of the can through the window into the front seat of the car parked alongside. I got away fast!!

284 Achilles Tang  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 4:15:17pm

re: #277 Thanos

You guys have no idea. Try the Middle East. It is not about forgetting; such rules don't exists except in the minds of foreigners.

The only rules are; don't have a small new car and don't make eye contact.

285 funky chicken  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 6:23:27pm

re: #171 Stanley Sea

LOL. Vegas has a toxic mix of tourists, drunks, criminals, retirees, and lots of folks who moved there from Los Angeles. Mix in guys who just came over the border and it does get pretty wild. Every time somebody tried to really run me off the road there they had CA tags. It's odd because I was in LA a couple of months ago and wasn't ever even nervous, and certainly not scared. I guess everybody was driving the same (fast and aggressive) so it was easy to move along with the flow.

But that 285 in Atlanta scared the crap outta me with the repeating pattern of having to make it to 75 mph so you don't get run over followed by screeching to a total standstill, several times over about 10 miles of road.

286 funky chicken  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 6:26:47pm

re: #284 Naso Tang

The only rules are; don't have a small new car and don't make eye contact.

My husband says Mexico is worse, especially after dark, since a fair number of people don't seem to have headlights and don't respect those silly lines painted on the road.

My worst car ride was in grad school with a friend who had recently arrived from Taiwan. Holy Jesus...he used shoulders and turn lanes for passing.

287 labman57  Sun, Jan 1, 2012 11:30:44pm

Does he single out AIDS patients -- by assuming that they are all gay and acquired the disease via ... gasp ... sexual activity -- or does he feel similarly about smokers ... and drug addicts ... and alcoholics ... and morbidly obese people?

288 wheat-dogghazi  Mon, Jan 2, 2012 2:46:39am

re: #161 Fat Bastard Vegetarian

College girl from China, studying at Fort Hays, Kansas. I wonder if she bought the contraption in the States, or flew with it from China.

Reminds me of the Tennessee woman who was packing heat at the 9/11 memorial in NYC. Also not too smart.

289 wheat-dogghazi  Mon, Jan 2, 2012 2:54:18am

re: #123 Gus 802

Never over-correct your steering.
Light touch on the steering wheel.
Steer in the opposite direction if you spin out.
Always pump your brakes (lightly).
No jerky movements...

Good advice, but ....

If your car has ABS, don't pump the brakes! The ABS does it much better.

Smooth and steady wins the race on slick roads. Check your tires' tread depth and inflation. For snowy areas, throw a pair of chains in the trunk, just in case.

^ back to top ^

TwitterFacebook

Turn off all ads for a full year by subscribing!
For about 33 cents a day (per month) or 22 cents a day (per year), our subscription option turns off all advertisements at LGF!
Read more...

► LGF Headlines

► Tweeted Articles

► Tweeted Pages

► Top 10 Comments

► Bottom Comments

► Recent Comments

► Tools/Info

► Tag Cloud

► Contact

You must have Javascript enabled to use the contact form.
Your email:

Subject:

Message:

Messages may be published unless you request otherwise.
Tech Note:
Using the Contact Form
LGF Pages

This button leads to the main index of LGF Pages, our user-submitted articles. You can post your own LGF Pages simply by registering a free account with us.

Create a Page

This is the LGF Pages posting bookmarklet. To use it, drag this button to your browser's bookmark bar, and title it 'LGF Pages' (or whatever you like). Then browse to a site you want to post, select some text on the page to use for a quote, click the bookmarklet, and the Pages posting window will appear with the title, text, and any embedded video or audio files already filled in, ready to go.

Last updated: 2014-03-07 2:19 pm PST

LGF User's Guide
Recent Pages
theheat
Campaign ad: Guns vs. Drones
One could view Rosendale's ad as just part of a larger trend of political candidates, seemingly all Republican, releasing ads in which they literally use a gun to make a political point. But it's almost certainly the first camapign [sic] ad to literally target a drone. - Yahoo News, 04-15-2014 Because in the land of the upstanding white rural militia and tinfoil hats, ...

1 hour, 2 minutes ago
Views: 19 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 0
Political Atheist
The Insane History of Rockets at Jet Propulsion Laboratories
The Rocket Boys In the late 1930s, a group of Caltech graduate students were booted off campus after blowing up (part of!) their building during a rocket test gone awry. Unwilling to give up on the joy of semi-controlled explosions, the students and a few of their friends headed into the San Gabriel Mountains. They picked a deserted gully -- Arroyo Seco -- ...

Views: 47 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 0
FemNaziBitch
The Abortion Restriction That’s Too Extreme for Most Pro-Lifers
Earlier this month, lawmakers in Kansas ended this session's debate over abortion on a surprisingly low-key note. The Republican leadership shepherded two minor tweaks to existing abortion policies through the legislature, while staving off a far more contentious measure: a bill that would criminalize abortion after a fetal heartbeat can be detected, as early as six weeks into a pregnancy. The bill's advocates ...

Views: 88 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 0
iossarian
Drug Companies Want Your Money
Two thematically-related stories on the BBC at the moment: UK drug company Glaxo 'paid bribes to Polish doctors' UK drug company GlaxoSmithKline is facing a criminal investigation in Poland for allegedly bribing doctors, BBC Panorama has discovered. Tamiflu: Millions wasted on flu drug, claims major report Hundreds of millions of pounds may have been wasted on a drug for flu that works no better ...

Views: 121 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 7 • Rating: 0
palmerskiss
Women on Front of Bundy Standoff - the Latest From the Front
But the scene above took place four years before Monica, in 1994, long before Clinton handed his enemies a scandal on a platter that seemingly made such references acceptable. It was not at a Republican caucus or Christian Coalition meeting, but at a gathering of right-wing "Patriots" who had come to hear about forming militias and common-law courts and defending their gun rights ...

Views: 120 • Comments: 4
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 3
cycroft
Russ Campbell’s Blog: Military Threat Is Essential to Effective Diplomacy
Pres­i­dent Theodore Roo­sevelt fa­mously said: "speak softly, and carry a big stick." His idea was to ne­go­ti­ate peace­fully, but with the ever-pre­sent threat of the "big stick," mil­i­tary ac­tion. Per­haps in this proverb lies is a valu­able les­son for lead­ers of the West­ern democ­ra­cies, and es­pe­cially for Pres­i­dent Obama. On the week­end, well co­or­di­nated and armed mil­i­tants at­tacked gov­ern­ment build­ings in six cities ...

Views: 63 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 0
Randall Gross
TurboTax Maker Linked to ‘Grassroots’ Campaign Against Free, Simple Tax Filing - ProPublica
The letters and op-eds don't mention that, as ProPublica laid out last year, return-free filing might allow tens of millions of Americans to file their taxes for free and in minutes. Or that, under proposals authored by several federal lawmakers, it would be voluntary, using information the government already receives from banks and employers and that taxpayers could adjust. Or that the concept ...

Views: 133 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 1
steve_davis
Skyline Pigeon
Your text to link...

Views: 193 • Comments: 2
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 4
Dark_Falcon
Presenting the Tracking Point AR series of rifles
Tracking Point has finally gotten their system to work with the AR-10 and AR-15 platforms. Now available in 5.56x45mm, 7.62x51mm and 300 AAC Blackout (a longer ranged 5.56 derivative). Hopefully, the Army and Marines can find the money for some of these, for these rifles will give our designated marksmen a real advantage in combat. They are also available for civilian sale, though at ...

Views: 341 • Comments: 3
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 1
MichaelJ
2014 Drug Aware Margaret River Pro - ASP
More: 2014 Drug Aware Margaret River Pro - ASP Round 5 is going to be all about getting barreled. This is going to be good.

Views: 242 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 1 • Rating: 0
 Frank says:

Children are naive -- they trust everyone. School is bad enough, but, if you put a child anywhere in the vicinity of a church, you're asking for trouble.