TwitterFacebook

Marco Rubio in Dreamland

Appealing to something that doesn’t exist
Politics • Views: 22,179

Florida Senator Marco Rubio is pleading with the GOP to drop the xenophobic fear mongering. Not in so many words, of course.

WASHINGTON — With Republicans increasingly concerned about losing Hispanic voters this November, Senator Marco Rubio of Florida on Thursday pressed his party to embrace a compromise measure allowing young illegal immigrants a pathway to legal status.

At a meeting with reporters in his Senate office, Mr. Rubio, a rising Republican star considered a leading vice-presidential prospect for Mitt Romney, sought to appeal to the conscience of his party

See … that’s the problem. You can’t appeal to something that isn’t there.

1 wrenchwench  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 9:57:39am

From the link:

Last weekend, in a comprehensive list of advisers provided to The Boston Globe, the Romney campaign did not include Kris Kobach, the Kansas secretary of state and co-author of the Arizona immigration law. During the primary campaign, the Romney campaign had referred to Mr. Kobach as an “informal adviser.”

Shake, shake, shake that Etch-a-Sketch!

2 wrenchwench  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 9:59:42am

Mitt Romney Was Among Top Donors To Immigration Adviser Kris Kobach’s 2010 Campaign

A ThinkProgress review of campaign finance records reveals that Mitt Romney’s Free and Strong America PAC was among the largest donors to Kris Kobach’s successful 2010 campaign for Kansas Secretary of State. Romney’s PAC contributed $2,000 to the anti-immigrant hardliner’s campaign. Only Kobach himself and six other donors contributed more. Kobach, who is currently advising Romney on immigration issues, is the author of the highly controversial and harmful Arizona and Alabama immigration laws. Today, Kobach told the Washington Post that he expected Romney to rule out any immigration measure that granted any form of legal status to undocumented immigrants.

3 HappyWarrior  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 10:00:33am
4 Iwouldprefernotto  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 10:01:05am

Conservatives are like teenagers, they say they hate you and then ask for money and a ride to the mall.

6 HappyWarrior  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 10:09:30am

re: #5 Kragar

Fischer: There was no Room for a Silver Spoon Because Obama was Stuffing his Face with Dog

Classy and this guy was the chaplain of a state legislature. Real Christian behavior right there Bry.

7 erik_t  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 10:09:37am

Forget conscience. Sometimes I wonder if the GOP leaders are even conscious.

8 Kragar  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 10:13:35am

I would like to thank the GOP for giving Gingers someone to rag on about being even more soulless.

9 Lord Baron Viscount Duke Earl Count Planckton  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 10:15:00am

re: #5 Kragar

Fisher's head is stuffed with feces, yet I'm not complaining.

10 HappyWarrior  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 10:17:04am

re: #9 Capricious Casserole of Calamity

Fisher's head is stuffed with feces, yet I'm not complaining.

I think the guy is made of feces. It explains what he says.

11 Obdicut  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 10:17:39am

I think the GOP has irreparably damaged it's relations with non-whites. To fix it would take a mammoth campaign, and actual change in the way they approach the subjects of immigration, voting, crime, etc.

So, not likely.

12 Vicious Babushka  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 10:18:32am

re: #10 HappyWarrior

I think the guy is made of feces. It explains what he says.

What's the difference between Bryan Fischer and Mr. Hanky?

Mr. Hanky is helpful and friendly.

14 nines09  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 10:19:12am

Marco Rubio is little late on the draw. I guess the last three years was fine, but now.....He'd have better odds proving there is life on Mars.

15 HappyWarrior  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 10:19:20am

re: #11 Obdicut

So, not likely.

I think they've hurt themselves with younger voters too. One of the reasons why Obama did so well with younger voters is because he actually showed genuine respect for them. Plus, their positions on social issues like abortion, birth control, and gay rights aren't going to win them support with a youth bloc that is socially liberal.

16 Lord Baron Viscount Duke Earl Count Planckton  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 10:19:32am

re: #12 Learned Mother of Zion

What's the difference between Bryan Fischer and Mr. Hanky?

Mr. Hanky is helpful and friendly.

Mr. Fischer is an incarnation of the Golgothan.

17 Vicious Babushka  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 10:20:12am

re: #16 Capricious Casserole of Calamity

Mr. Fischer is an incarnation of the Golgothan.

or the Balrog of Morgoth.

18 HappyWarrior  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 10:20:30am

re: #12 Learned Mother of Zion

What's the difference between Bryan Fischer and Mr. Hanky?

Mr. Hanky is helpful and friendly.

Yes, speaking of which it was nice seeing him again on South Park.

19 gwangung  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 10:20:41am

re: #15 HappyWarrior

They probably figger they'll just suppress their votes and not have to worry about it.

20 Lord Baron Viscount Duke Earl Count Planckton  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 10:20:45am

re: #13 Kragar

SHOCKING DEVELOPMENT: McConnell breaks rank with GOP, actually keep his word over debt deal

"I couldn't do anything! I was outvoted I tell you! I'm still a good partner for negotiations, so let's get to it."

21 dragonath  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 10:22:07am

re: #15 HappyWarrior

Sincerity counts for quite a lot in politics. The Republicans have none.

22 HappyWarrior  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 10:22:14am

re: #19 gwangung

I imagine. Their problem is they refuse to adapt to the reality of the 21st century that culture wars and supply side economics aren't winners.

23 Kragar  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 10:22:17am

Tea Party Congressman: Obama Will Commit Treason If Reelected

Fitzpatrick was listing the reasons why voters should not support the President, and for reason number three, he told the audience that President Obama would have no qualms auctioning off state secrets to foreign countries.

24 HappyWarrior  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 10:22:58am

re: #23 Kragar

Tea Party Congressman: Obama Will Commit Treason If Reelected

Man the Onion keeps on getting better and better. I mean that's funny stuff right there.

25 Lord Baron Viscount Duke Earl Count Planckton  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 10:23:10am

re: #21 Beware the Green Dragon!

Sincerity counts for quite a lot in politics. The Republicans have none.

U R ron'. They hate you with all sincerity.

26 Kragar  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 10:23:30am

re: #19 gwangung

They're waiting for David Barton to tell them only White land owners can vote according to a Biblical interpretation of the Constitution.

27 kirkspencer  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 10:24:21am

re: #11 Obdicut

So, not likely.

Probably so. That said, I'm going to keep an eye on Rubio's version of the DREAM act, for reactions of politicians, base, and the hispanics.

fwiw, I think it sucks. It allows children of illegals who have graduated from high school in good standing to get automatic temporary visas to complete college, provided they continue with good grades and such. The visas are not citizenship path visas; they provide no guarantees or promises.

28 Lidane  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 10:24:30am

It's no surprise that Rubio is an illegal immigrant amnesty loving RINO. He's not even a natural born citizen of this country.

/World Net Daily

29 HappyWarrior  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 10:24:31am

I mean seriously Obama will commit treason if he's re-elected? That's probably the most stupid thing I've heard from a Republican congressman and I've read what Steve King, Michelle Bachmann, and Louie Gohmert say.

30 Obdicut  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 10:25:53am

re: #27 kirkspencer

Yeah, it's a milksop.

31 Kragar  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 10:30:42am

Raese Digs In On No-Smoking Signs And Hitler — Won’t Be ‘Intimidated By A Bunch Of Bull***t’

“I can’t find anything in my statement and during my speech that wasn’t true,” Raese told the Charleston Daily Mail. “I’m not apologizing to anybody or any organization. It’s my perfect right to make a speech about meaningful subject matters in this country.”

He further said that the controversy was a result of Democratic video trackers, playing “gotcha.” “I am not going to be intimidated by a bunch of bullshit,” Raese said.

The two situations, Raese insisted, are analogous.

“It’s government trying to micromanage our business; it’s wrong as can be,” said Raese. “It is a very similar situation. I resent it, and I don’t put it on my particular office building. It might be smoking today, it might be Big Macs tomorrow, then Coca-Colas the next day, then Jack Daniels, then we’re in trouble.”

First they came for the jumbo chili dogs with bacon, cheese and onions, and I did nothing...

32 jaunte  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 10:30:58am
At a closed-door fund-raiser in Florida overheard by reporters, Mr. Romney acknowledged the jeopardy he faces if that advantage remains.

“We have to get Hispanic voters to vote for our party,” he told donors, warning that recent polling “spells doom for us.”

"I, of course, have no ideas. Let me know how we can get those people to like us more, will ya?"

33 Killgore Trout  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 10:31:44am
34 HappyWarrior  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 10:32:09am

re: #31 Kragar

I said earlier when Lidane posted this but it's not "gotcha" when they call you out on what you actually say. What a lunatic.

35 Sol Berdinowitz  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 10:32:52am
36 dragonath  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 10:33:42am

Fitzpatrick has been around a lot longer than the Tea Party, he was a congressman back in the 2005-6 Congress. It's a Democratic leaning seat, it wouldn't be surprising if it flips back in November.

37 Lord Baron Viscount Duke Earl Count Planckton  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 10:34:27am

The elections are in a large part about the Supreme Court. It doesn't matter much if some candidate makes some personal concession to the sane part of the electorate. If they appoint the conservative judges, these judges will take away some civil liberties, no matter what the candidate's personal divergent stances. As simple as that.

38 Killgore Trout  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 10:36:44am

I can't bring myself to minimize or dismiss Rubio's plea. It's the right thing to do morally and is in the party's best interest. I wish him all the luck in the world on this and hope others listen to him.

39 Obdicut  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 10:38:46am

re: #38 Killgore Trout

Where do you see someone minimizing or dismissing it? Except, of course, by pointing out his version of the DREAM act is not about paths to citizenship?

40 kirkspencer  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 10:39:57am

re: #38 Killgore Trout

No, it is not the right thing morally. Seriously, "Oh, we're going to give you four more years before we throw you out," changes nothing beyond ensuring people in other nations have better educations.

41 gwangung  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 10:43:25am

re: #40 kirkspencer

You would think you WANT these kind of people as citizens. You know...the kind that pull themselves up by their bootstraps?

42 HappyWarrior  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 10:44:45am

re: #41 gwangung

Yeah you would. But there's a lot of Know Nothingism on the right today.

43 BongCrodny  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 10:51:37am

I always plug in Super Mario World when I want to tackle impossible quests.

44 aagcobb  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 10:53:48am

re: #31 Kragar

Git yer jack-booted health inspector thugs outta ma restaurant, you Nazi! A little salmonella never killed too awful many! Freeeedooooom!

45 What, me worry?  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 12:40:54pm

If it wasn't for the Bay of Pigs, Florida's Hispanic Republicans would all be Democrats. Talk about holding a grudge.

46 Eventual Carrion  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 1:20:24pm

re: #23 Kragar

Tea Party Congressman: Obama Will Commit Treason If Reelected

But Romney will rape furry woodland creatures, eat them afterwards, and poop their remains on the steps of the peoples house if elected.

// Unfounded speculation is so fun, and easy too.

47 sizzzzlerz  Fri, Apr 20, 2012 2:16:06pm

The conscience being those who think the joke about Lincoln, Kennedy, and Obama is funny?

Contact Us LGF Pages

This button leads to the main index of LGF Pages, our user-submitted articles. You can post your own LGF Pages simply by registering a free account with us.

Create a Page

This is the LGF Pages posting bookmarklet. To use it, drag this button to your browser's bookmark bar, and title it 'LGF Pages' (or whatever you like). Then browse to a site you want to post, select some text on the page to use for a quote, click the bookmarklet, and the Pages posting window will appear with the title, text, and any embedded video or audio files already filled in, ready to go.

Last updated: 2015-08-02 10:58 am PDT

LGF User's Guide RSS Feeds
Recent Pages
VickieHaz
How you can Change your Lifestyle for the Greener
In the western world, we hear a lot about how our lifestyles can have quite a negative impact on the environment. We live in a time dominated by technologies and conveniences which as useful as they are, aren't the most ...

Views: 92 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 2 • Rating: 1
CriticalDragon1177
Epic Twitter Pwnage 2! Creationists Try to Take Down Evolution, Fail Miserably!
Its been a long time since I engaged in some epic twitter pwnage! The first and so far only other time I did, and wrote about it, was a long time ago, when Viciousbabushka and I took on some climate ...

Views: 284 • Comments: 1
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 3
Accelerated Pace of Kansas City Public Library’s Book-Culling Process Upsets Volunteers
It's like "Rainbow's End". Sylvia Stucky, a longtime member of Friends of the Kansas City Public Library, stood in the lobby of the Central Library downtown one day last week and opened her shoulder bag. "I just saved these from ...

Views: 201 • Comments: 1
Tweets: 1 • Rating: 1
Great White Snark
Jewelry Industry Shrinkage Trend Continues
This news looks awful as if the economy including the spending habits of the 1% and 1/10th% are steeply trending down. By implication, this flies in the face of the improving economy as described elsewhere. Well that hasty conclusion would ...

Views: 219 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 0
I Stand With Planned Parenthood
Jimmy Carter: America Is Not a Democracy Anymore (AUDIO)
Former President Jimmy Carter called the United States an "oligarchy" with "unlimited political bribery," on a radio program this week. More: Jimmy Carter: America Is Not a Democracy Anymore (AUDIO)

Views: 243 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 1
Cheechako
Iditarod Champ Dallas Seavey Adds Dog Treadmill to Training Repertoire
Suzanna CaldwellAlaska Dispatch NewsAugust 1, 2015 WILLOW -- Forget the gentle swoosh of sled runners over snow. Iditarod champion Dallas Seavey's summer training offers a stark contrast to his winter routine: more than a dozen dogs yapping manically in a ...

Views: 612 • Comments: 1
Tweets: 11 • Rating: 1
Eclectic Cyborg
MS GOP rep campaigns on pro Confederate Flag platform
So this showed up at my house today, it's an election mailer from one Jeffrey Guice who is running for re-election to the Mississippi State Senate. As you can see, it included an interesting detail... So basically he's taking pride ...

Views: 749 • Comments: 2
Tweets: 56 • Rating: 3
EiMitch
Cracked: 5 Sworn Enemies Who Formed Inspiring Friendships
I was catching-up with Cracked articles. I found an obvious click-bait article, "4 Sexual Preferences That Only Recently Became Taboo": cracked.com Knowing that, I read it anyway. From there, I read a depressing article, "5 Ways College Screws Over Poor ...

Views: 574 • Comments: 1
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 3
Skip Intro
Windows 10 is out. Help a guy out, please.
So I downloaded the Win 10 ISO image today, and started the install. The first thing I come across is a screen asking what I want to keep, my apps, data, and program settings, my data and program settings, or ...

6 days ago
Views: 845 • Comments: 8
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 0
Iwouldprefernotto
More Edited PP Videos
NYT -- More Edited PP Videos in the Pipeline The activist behind the videos, David Daleiden, has said he has enough covertly recorded footage for perhaps a dozen videos that he could release, one a week, for the next few ...

1 week, 1 day ago
Views: 497 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 2
 Frank says:

Now imagine a Moebius vortex inside a spherical constant, and you've got my cosmology. -- 1992