Tuesday Night Jam: John Hiatt - We’re Alright Now

Music • Views: 20,561

This is the official lyric video for John Hiatt’s “We’re Alright Now,” from his great new album Mystic Pinball (now on sale at the Amazon MP3 Store for only $5.99).

This is one of John Hiatt’s best records in years, with a stellar band and some powerful stories, and I highly recommend it. Rock at its best.

More samples from the album:

Amazon Widget

1 prairiefire  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 5:41:51pm

Great music! Rock on, Mr. Hiatt.

2 Douchecanoe and Ryan Too  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 5:42:01pm

Evening Lizardim.

3 Kragar  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 5:47:03pm

Indiana lawmaker plans new attack on evolution

After failing to allow public schools to teach “creation science,” Indiana state Sen. Dennis Kruse (R) plans to introduce a bill in the next legislative session that would allow students to question the theory of evolution.

“I would call it ‘truth in education’ to make sure that what is being taught is true,” Kruse, the chairman of the Senate Education and Career Development Committee, told Indystar. “And if a student thinks something isn’t true, then they can question the teacher and the teacher would have to come up with some kind of research to support that what they are teaching is true or not true."

I would love this applied across the board:
"Jesus is your Lord and Savior."
"I'm going to need to see the research to support that claim."

4 ProGunLiberal  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 5:51:42pm

I just saw this.

Man pleads guilty of plotting to blow up New York houses of worship

Is he being charged with Terrorism? He should be. Also, notice that he comes from Algeria. They seem to be a constant issue.

5 Killgore Trout  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 5:55:18pm

re: #4 ProGunLiberal

I just saw this.

Man pleads guilty of plotting to blow up New York houses of worship

What a dick

"By targeting a synagogue, which I knew to be a Jewish house of worship, in this manner, I intended to create chaos and send a message of intimidation and coercion to the Jewish population of New York City, warning them to stop mistreating Muslims," Ferhani told the judge.

6 ProGunLiberal  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 5:58:39pm

re: #5 Killgore Trout

All he is doing is hurting the Palestinians.

Reminder. Algeria is a bit of a menace in North Africa. They supported Qaddafi, are continually trying to De-stabilize Morocco, and may be supporting Ansar Dine.

We shouldn't be giving them Anti-Terror Funds. At all.

7 Stanghazi  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 5:59:04pm

CL around?

8 Stanghazi  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 6:00:42pm

check the photo.

9 Dark_Falcon  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 6:00:44pm

re: #5 Killgore Trout

What a dick

That guy doesn't understand Israel or the US at all: Neither nation accedes to the demands of terrorists who attack us; Instead we pound the terrorists into the ground.

10 engineer cat  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 6:01:32pm

warning them to stop mistreating Muslims

understanding human nature FAIL

11 freetoken  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 6:01:36pm

re: #3 Kragar

TRUTH!!

Wait until some student, in a 20th century US history classes, asks what is the truth about why the Towers fell on 9/11.

12 SteveMcG  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 6:02:03pm

re: 9 Dark Falcon

I don't know about that. Pres. G. W. Bush gave Al Qaeda everything they wanted and more.

13 Dark_Falcon  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 6:02:19pm

re: #6 ProGunLiberal

All he is doing is hurting the Palestinians.

We shouldn't be giving them Anti-Terror Funds. At all.

The Algerian government does fight AQIM, so there is a risk in stopping those funds. They're assholes, but they're better than the alternative.

14 Dark_Falcon  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 6:04:28pm

re: #12 SteveMcG

re: 9 Dark Falcon

If everything they wanted was the loss of their Afghan safe haven, the destruction of most of their infrastructure, and the deaths or capture of most of their experienced personnel, then yes he gave them quite a lot.

15 freetoken  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 6:04:41pm

An article from a few days ago that I've had open in a tab but never got around to delving into:

Archaeologists Fear Their Work in Jerusalem May Be Tainted by Settler Politics

Reinterpreting the past to fit current ideology?

16 ProGunLiberal  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 6:05:03pm

re: #13 Dark_Falcon

I am more cynical than you on this. There has been talk since Ansar Dine popped up on the scene that the Algerian Secret Services supported the leader Iyad al-Ghaly.

I think they are pulling a Pakistan. Giving a small token fight to keep us from breathing down their necks.

17 SteveMcG  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 6:08:26pm

It took a decade for Al Qaeda to lose its leader. I bet Osama bin Laden never would have believed he would have lasted as long as he did. As far as losing Afghanistan, that seems to have been temporary. So what did they do to the US? They goaded an incompetent administration into launching a ruinous war in Iraq that cost us a trillion bucks and almost 40,000 casualties. Do you really think we would have gone to war in Iraq if it weren't for 9/11, and who do you think came out ahead on that eschange?

18 Dark_Falcon  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 6:12:53pm

re: #17 SteveMcG

But bin Laden is dead, and Iraq ended up costing al Qaeda more than it cost us, and they are less able to make good the loss. Their surviving leadership is scattered to the Four Winds, their rank and file (except in North Africa) has bled white, and they are hated everywhere. That is not victory.

19 freetoken  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 6:14:17pm

re: #17 SteveMcG

Whoever are the "victors" a hundred years hence, who will be writing the history of the end of the 20th and beginning of the 21st centuries, may have a view of these events different than ours.

Right now, from my perspective, from roughly 1980 to 2008 the US was in a reactionary decline politically, at the peak militarily, and in a cultural change the results of yet we have not seen clearly.

IMO resource competition will increase all through the 21st century, with a high probability of more resource wars.

20 Stanghazi  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 6:15:11pm

re: #18 Dark_Falcon

Ha, NO.

21 Stanghazi  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 6:17:04pm

re: #20 Stanghazi

Ha, NO.

Tell that to the parents and widows.

22 William Barnett-Lewis  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 6:18:57pm

re: #15 freetoken

Reinterpreting the past to fit current ideology?

Nothing new in that. Later dynasties were always reinterpreting their 1000 year old predecessors in Egypt, for example. Romans were quite good at it too.

23 SteveMcG  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 6:19:34pm

After all these years, didn't you ever consider what AQ's strategic objective was? Did you really think Osama bin Laden believed he was going to be the Supreme Leader of an Islamic Caliphate that stretched across the Middle East? The strategic position of the United States was devastated. We're lucky it didn't turn out worse. As it is, we removed Iran's chief enemy, we lost the moral high ground when we started torturing everybody we could get our hands on, our military went from being capable of supporting two simutaneous conflicts to only supporting one. Most of the casualties in the war on terror are civilians, and that only drives support away from us. Terrorism is alive and well in the Middle East in spite of the war. Where the hell were you all these years? Didn't you learn a thing?

24 bratwurst  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 6:22:50pm

re: #21 Stanghazi

Tell that to the parents and widows.

Nearly 4500 dead, over 100000 wounded. What did it cost AQ again?

25 Stanghazi  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 6:24:54pm

re: #24 bratwurst

Nearly 4500 dead, over 100000 wounded. What did it cost AQ again?

And I'm remiss.....the civilians who are no longer.

And RW peeps, it's NOT on Saddam or Al Qaeda, that's on us.

26 SteveMcG  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 6:26:31pm

To follow up what I wrote in #23, I argued that these things would happen if we went to war in Iraq. Back then, I think it was on MSNBC.com's comment pages (which always spiralled out of control with something like 100 comments per minute!), but DF's statements remind me of those commenters. I could understand the feelings back then, but I disagreed with ideas, not hysterical War for Oil crap, not that anybody gave a shit was the dissent was. But I gotta believe that all these years later, somne amount of reflection should have taken place.

27 jaunte  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 6:36:45pm

Convention on the Rights of People with Disabilities votes:

U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 112th Congress - 2nd Session
as compiled through Senate LIS by the Senate Bill Clerk under the direction of the Secretary of the Senate.
Question: On the Resolution of Ratification (Resolution of Ratification Treaty Doc. 112-7 ) [Link: www.senate.gov...]

Remember this whenever any of these Nay-voting hypocrites starts droning on about how much they respect and admire our disabled veterans.

28 Holidays are Family Fun Time  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 6:38:08pm

UN Treaty on disabilities defeated --What a Crock of Shit!

29 Stanghazi  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 6:41:27pm

Convention on the Rights of People with Disabilities votes:

And disabled Mark Kirk could not vote.

Outrageous. Elected reps NOT REPRESENTING.

30 Holidays are Family Fun Time  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 6:43:37pm

and how is everyone this evening?

I had an interesting day. Visited a friend in the hospital recovering from surgery and on the way out an old man hit me. I was getting read to turn into the "out" lane from the lane from the parking lot to the "out" lane. I stopped and he tried to drive around me. I told him to stop and told him that he hit me. He kept trying to drive around me. I had to yell to get him to stop and put the car in park. I don't think he understood that he hit me until he saw the broken light and bumper parts on the road in front of his car. He had hearing aids in both ears. I ended-up having to help him find his insurance card and wrote my info down for him to call his insurance.

It was on private property, so I drove to the police station and filed a report. If it were my father, I would want to know if he was in that condition. I was more concerned for his safety than the relatively minor damage done to my car.

Bob only knows what he is going to tell his insurance company.

31 engineer cat  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 6:46:26pm

re: #18 Dark_Falcon

cost/benefit analysis, anyone?

32 abolitionist  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 6:47:35pm

re: #30 Holidays are Family Fun Time

Recommend you save a link to your post.

33 The Ghost of a Flea  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 6:48:25pm

Ross Douthat’s Missing Pregnant Women

It’s a near-universal law that modernity reduces fertility” is a grand-sounding observation, isn’t it? So beautifully unimpeachable. It feels like we’re talking about any old inverse relationship: modernity goes up, fertility goes down. Reduce friction, your car goes faster.

Yet hidden in those grand abstractions are, once again, actual people making decisions about the resources they have available to them. In general, when women can exercise some control over the timing and number of pregnancies they have, many of them opt to do so; not because they are mindlessly driven to do so by the sociological version of Van Der Waals forces, but because undergoing pregnancy and giving birth to babies involves trade-offs specific to women. There are health risks that come with pregnancy, up to and including death. Less dramatically, there are things you can’t do if you have three children under five and are pregnant with another.

34 Holidays are Family Fun Time  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 6:48:45pm

re: #32 abolitionist

Recommend you save a link to your post.

about my accident?

35 Stanghazi  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 6:49:37pm

re: #30 Holidays are Family Fun Time

and how is everyone this evening?

Bob only knows what he is going to tell his insurance company.

Damn. You were probably the kindest accident victim in recent times.

36 abolitionist  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 6:51:46pm

re: #34 Holidays are Family Fun Time

about my accident?

Yes. Just in case you find yourself charged with hit-and-run or something.

37 SteveMcG  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 6:51:53pm

RE: #30

I remember a pathetic one. A Beemer didn't go when the light turned green. Cars started honking, then somebody tried to pass him on the right (Because of oncoming traffic). That was when the hooker opened the passenger door. CRUNCH! I waited for the cops to take an incident report just so I could be a witness and make sure the policeman wrote the word "hooker", baecause I couldn't imagine how the guy was going to explain this one.

38 Holidays are Family Fun Time  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 6:52:04pm

re: #35 Stanghazi

Damn. You were probably the kindest accident victim in recent times.

39 Holidays are Family Fun Time  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 6:52:24pm

re: #36 abolitionist

Yes. Just in case you find yourself charged with hit-and-run or something.

I filed a police report.
and reported it to insurance

40 Holidays are Family Fun Time  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 6:54:25pm

I had a friend as passenger and she got pics of my car and the point of impact on his car. I worked in the insurance office long enough. I'm not worried about it. I got all the pertinent info and did the correct things.

41 Bubblehead II  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 6:54:36pm

re: #31 engineer cat

cost/benefit analysis, anyone?

It cost us a lot and didn't benefit us (as a Nation) one bit.

Thanks shrub. I am sure your buddies in the Defense Industry do.

Not to mention all those "Contractors".

42 TedStriker  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 6:56:34pm

Both of my Senators, Lamar! Alexander and Bob Corker, voted nay on this; I'd expected it from Corker, but not from "moderate" Alexander, a man who been in the game long enough to know better. I guess with the deeper reddening of Tennessee over the past decade, Alexander (and Corker) feels that the islands of blue (Nashville, Memphis) in a sea of red (most of the rest of the state) don't really count any more.

Here I am...I publicly defended Lamar! here not even a week or two ago, saying that he was one of the few Republicans that I'd still vote for because I respected him and wouldn't want him to get primaried in 2014 by a TPer.

After this, fuck him...he's shown that he's willing to pander to the nuts and fearmongers in this state just as much as a TPer would.

43 SteveMcG  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 6:57:18pm

re: #41

At least it shoved Ralph Nader to the curb once and for all. Thanks a lot, Ralph.

44 EPR-radar  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 7:04:13pm

re: #23 SteveMcG

Furthermore, we've seen severe erosion of civil liberties in the US, the creation of an Orwellian "Homeland Security" apparatus, bipartisan agreement on concentration of extraordinary powers (e.g., kill lists) in the Executive.

I prefer Obama to Romney, but I don't trust Obama (or anyone) with the level of power that has mindlessly been ceded to the Executive branch in the post 9/11 fear-spasm.

The damage inflicted on the US by its reaction to 9/11 has been immense, and much of it is probably irreversible.

45 SteveMcG  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 7:08:53pm

re: #44

We did it to ourselves, which is the whole point of a terror operation. That's what Dark_Falcon doesn't get.

46 EPR-radar  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 7:13:03pm

re: #45 SteveMcG

re: #44

Bingo.

What we should have had was: Kill the terrorists (without going nuts about it) and drain the swamp.

Instead, we got: enact the Project for a New American Century wet dream

47 Ian G.  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 7:14:40pm

Ah, John Hiatt. All I can think of is the Jamie Lee Curtis striptease scene from "True Lies" (my favorite Ah-nold movie).

48 SteveMcG  Tue, Dec 4, 2012 7:18:13pm

I remember telling everybody I knew during the recount fiasco in 2000 that George W. Bush would go down as the worst President ever. If I was wrong, I'm not wrong by much.
I would also say that that point was the separation of the Republican Party from reason. It was the end of conservatism and a naked grab for power by people who called themselves conservatives but were actually radicals. It would take years before the rest of the conservatives would see what actually happened, but at the time I guess they were just happy to think they had the power (when it had already been usurped by the radicals).

Happy 40th Anniversary Star WarsYes, it has been that many years and that many versions and off shoots of this movie. A movie that was expected to fail. The movie redefined the definition of blockbuster. In fact when the second movie came out in ...
PhillyPretzel
CSPAN Coverage: White House Warned General Flynn Compromised Russian Interference in 2016 Election Former Acting Attorney General Sally Yates and Former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper testified at a Senate subcommittee hearing on Russian interference in the 2016 election. Ms. Yates told lawmakers she raised concerns ...
Birth Control Works
What I Learned After My Study on Men Secretly Removing Condoms Went Viral But it struck a chord, and somehow managed to trigger an international conversation about assholes who remove condoms during sex without their partners' permission. (Some people call this "stealthing," but I think the term trivializes the harm.) The paper ...
Birth Control Works
‘Racist’ Flyers Urge Black Chicagoans to Help Deport Latino Neighbors - Pilsen - DNAinfo Chicago CHICAGO — A South Side alderman is slamming a flyer found in neighborhoods around the city asking black Chicagoans to report suspected undocumented residents to immigration agents. The flyer says that "Sanctuary city Policies endanger the lively hood[sic] of ...
Birth Control Works
23 Million Fewer Americans With Health Coverage, Yes MILLION Twenty-three million fewer Americans would have insurance under legislation that House Republicans narrowly passed last month, the Congressional Budget Office reported on Wednesday. The agency also predicted the deficit would come down by $119 billion over the next decade ...
Unshaken Defiance
Britain Irritated by US Intel Leaks Thanks Trump. Your administration is a hazard The U.K. government has expressed its displeasure at the U.S. over the leaking of information about the Manchester bombing to the media. “The British police have been very clear that they want ...
Unshaken Defiance
Infowars Granted White House Press CredsIt appears as if Trump has granted official Press Credientials to that vomitorium of an opinion/con man site, Infowars: thinkprogress.org At least this administration is consistent. A Kakistocracy cannot be complete without the dumbest, stupidest information peddlers on the planet ...
Rocky-in-Connecticut
You Have One Last Chance to Repent, Sean Hannity….Help me force Sean Hannity to repent. If he doesn't, The Major will bring incredible the damage to Mr. Hannity using the new weapons of The Internet. I tried to warn you, Sean. You didn't listen then. If you choose ...
The Major
Intelligence Alert: How to Sniff Out Fake Identities on Twitter @FlorenceOconne5 Lesson Learned for Twitter Users: Check who follow you closely. If it has a high following/follower count, it's probably fake. — TheMajor (@TheMajorsViews) May 24, 2017 Now that we know how they do it, it's time to ferret ...
The Major
Doctors Argue That Female Genital Mutilation Is Protected Under First Amendment Two doctors in Detroit, along with one of their wives, are about to take the first religious defense of female genital mutilation to a US Federal court. The case stems from a FBI investigation into Dr. Jumana Nagarwala after ...
Birth Control Works