TwitterFacebook

Mosque Arsonist: “I Only Know What I Hear on Fox News”

Hate speech leads directly to hate crime
Crime • Views: 21,740

Yesterday in Indiana, 52-year old truck driver Randolph Linn pleaded guilty to all charges in an arson attack against the Islamic Center of Toledo.

Linn testified that he got “riled up” by Fox News and right wing talk radio, drank 45 beers, and set fire to the mosque’s prayer room because he learned from Fox that Muslims are terrorists who don’t believe in Jesus Christ: Mosque Arsonist Tells Court: ‘I Only Know What I Hear on Fox News’.

Linn explained to the court that he had gotten “riled up” after watching Fox News.

“And I was more sad when Judge [Jack] Zouhary asked him that, ‘Do you know any Muslims or do you know what Islam is?’” one mosque member who attended the hearing recalled to WNWO. “And he said, ‘No, I only know what I hear on Fox News and what I hear on radio.’”

“Muslims are killing Americans and trying to blow stuff up,” Linn also reportedly told the judge. “Most Muslims are terrorists and don’t believe in Jesus Christ.”

Linn claimed that he had consumed 45 beers in the 6 hours before leaving his Indiana home to set fire to the mosque, which he had discovered while working as a truck driver.

After his arrest on Oct. 2, Assistant U.S. Attorney Ava Dusten said that Linn had told officers, “Fuck those Muslims… They would kill us if they got the chance.”

1 freetoken  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 2:51:36pm

Violent ideation has run amok in the US.

And the Hate industry thrives on it.

2 nines09  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 2:52:31pm

Fox News; We Report, You Freak Out.

3 Targetpractice  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 2:52:33pm

45 beers? The man was pickled!

4 Charles Johnson  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 2:55:05pm

It's a truly prodigious amount of beer.

5 Locker  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 2:55:51pm

Laugh yea he's a real tough guy. Takes him 45 beers to get up the courage to perform a cowardly act.

6 erik_t  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 2:57:58pm

re: #3 Targetpractice

45 beers? The man was pickled!

That's probably enough beer to extinguish most building fires.

7 EPR-radar  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 2:58:07pm

Stochastic terrorism. The RW noise/propaganda machine spews the hate, and some times unstable low-lifes act on it.

I grow tired of the legal immunity the machine has, merely because the causal link is probabilistic rather than certain.

8 Dr. Matt  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 2:59:52pm

I mean this with all sincerity: when is Fox going to be held accountable for creating so many domestic terrorists?

9 freetoken  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:00:34pm

re: #7 EPR-radar

Clear Channel is even worse than Fox, IMO. And then there are the smaller right wing corporations, like Salem Communications.

A non-trivial portion of the American populace is ill educated, angry (for a variety of reasons), and prone to violence.

But we dare not speak about that at the national political level, like we don't speak about the other inconvenient truths that are best swept under the rug.

10 erik_t  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:01:13pm

re: #8 Dr. Matt

WHEN IS DOMESTIC LIGHT BEER GOING TO BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR CREATING SO MANY DOMESTIC TERRORISTS!!!1

actually I would endorse that

11 Gus  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:01:36pm

He's going into prison for 20 years. He'll be known as hating Muslims. He's going to be in for a couple of big surprises.

12 Lidane  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:02:39pm

It's a truly prodigious amount of beer.

Seriously. How the hell did he drink almost two cases of beer and still manage to walk, much less set anything on fire?

13 Charles Johnson  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:03:37pm

re: #12 Lidane

Experience - it's probably not the first arson fire he set.

14 Obdicut  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:04:04pm

re: #12 Lidane

It is possible his numbers may be inaccurate.

15 Charles Johnson  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:04:51pm

Experience with drinking beer, too.

16 A Man for all Seasons  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:05:37pm

re: #12 Lidane

It's Indiana.. There are some there that consider 45 beers and scrambled eggs a good breakfast.

17 Charles Johnson  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:05:58pm

re: #14 Obdicut

Maybe, but I've personally witnessed human beings perform such amazing feats of drunkenness.

18 erik_t  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:06:22pm

That's 4.2 gallons of beer. I have my doubts. That's a dangerous amount of fluid even if it were water.

19 freetoken  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:06:27pm

Speaking of Fox and their watchers... and their guests:

An Excruciatingly Close Reading of the Sarah Palin/Time Person of the Year Retort

Word salads R us.

20 Obdicut  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:07:11pm

I mean, it depends over what time period. And they were probably shitty beers.

21 Renaissance_Man  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:07:43pm

re: #12 Lidane

It was probably Bud or Miller light, which is like making love in a canoe.

Seriously, I love your country, except for its crazed worship of guns and the quality of its frigging beer.

22 Gus  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:08:03pm

re: #20 Obdicut

I mean, it depends over what time period. And they were probably shitty beers.

Image: generic-beer.jpg

23 EPR-radar  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:08:06pm

re: #8 Dr. Matt

Never, legally. And actually, I have to admit that I can't think of a legal theory under which to go after Fox News et al. that would not be prone to limitless abuse by the authorities.

The court of public opinion is worth a try. If someone other than dedicated activists starts pointing this kind of stuff out, it would help greatly. While I'm making a holiday wish list, I can add mainstream Christianity getting publicly loud about objecting to the most revolting excesses of the Religious Right.

24 erik_t  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:08:33pm

re: #21 Renaissance_Man

Do not judge the country I love based on the mass-produced swill, I beg of you. We can duel with any nation in the world if one is willing to buy local.

25 Decatur Deb  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:08:56pm

re: #12 Lidane

Well, his pisser is 3 feet long...

26 efuseakay  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:09:06pm

Well, he's definitely not bright. Sure it wasn't O'Doul's?

27 Lidane  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:09:17pm

re: #21 Renaissance_Man

It was probably Bud or Miller light, which is like making love in a canoe.

Precisely why I don't drink either of them.

I prefer beers that let me know I'm drinking them. Much easier to control my intake that way.

28 Decatur Deb  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:11:14pm

Sounds like an "enhanced capacity" defense in the making.

29 Political Atheist  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:12:46pm

He looks like a "Coors light kind of not so bright" fellow.

30 Skip Intro  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:13:24pm

This guy is the Fox News/talk radio dream listener. Dumb, drunk, and easily influenced. I bet he subscribes to Glenn Beck's The Blaze, too.

31 Kid A  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:17:55pm

By his mug shot, I think it is safe to assume he has never watched one second of the Rachel Maddow Show.

32 Kid A  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:18:30pm

re: #30 Skip Intro

Makes sense in this case, eh?

33 Decatur Deb  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:18:50pm

45 beers/6 hours/truck driver. Kinda glad he took this route to fame.

34 Vicious Michigan Union Thug  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:20:42pm

Bryan disowns the serial sick-wife abandoner! But not for that reason.

35 Charles Johnson  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:21:14pm

One beer every 8 minutes for 6 hours.

36 Decatur Deb  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:22:25pm

One beer every 8 minutes for 6 hours.

Had to be some toilet breaks in there.

37 freetoken  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:23:34pm

I'm sounding like a broken record here (and of course even that phrase dates me to a time before digital recording), but what we are experiencing with the Fox News / WND spectrum of American "media" is part of the out-working of a very long process (since 1860 if you want to pick a date) of the old ways, the old worldview of Christian Europe, collapsing under the weight of new discoveries and technologically enabled wider horizons.

When we see so many fantasizing about returning to the 18th century - 2nd Amendment, secessionism, King James Bible, etc. - we see people for whom the modern world is too much. The modern world which Lyell, Darwin, and Wellhausen, and Marx and Freud kicked off with their observations and ideas, and which later brought us what is now considered down right "Satanic" such as world-wide diplomacy (e.g., UN), central banking - these are the things that strike fear in those who want to return to the old world.

No man ever was an island. Yet in the old days a village could be remote, a tribe could isolate itself from outsiders and their foreign gods.

That no longer applies. It's a small world today, and over half of the 7 billion people today live in economies that are tightly coupled, on a planet who resources we must now share in managed fashion.

I just wish we had leaders who would be more willing to talk about how the past ought to stay there.

38 freetoken  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:24:15pm

re: #34 Vicious Michigan Union Thug

I see Fischer is fantasizing about "sodomy" again.

I wonder why.

39 jaunte  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:25:20pm

re: #18 erik_t

It's got electrolytes; what riled up bigots crave.

40 Usually refered to as anyways  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:25:40pm

Shit, I have lived through the end of the world.
This new world looks just like the last one.

Just another day in paradise.

41 Decatur Deb  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:25:59pm

re: #38 freetoken

I see Fischer is fantasizing about "sodomy" again.

I wonder why.

"Sodomy-based marriage" Is that like learning to make a good roux?

42 CuriousLurker  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:26:35pm

Um, actually we do believe in him, just not the same way you do.

Anyway, I'm sure Jesus (a.s.) is proud since we all know he always instructed his followers to get drunk off their asses then go out and burn down competing houses of worship. Oh, wait...

CL <— Obvious slacker who hasn't blown up anything or killed any Americans in.... well, ever. Hell, I don't even personally know anyone who's done those things or expressed a wish to do so. Hmm, I must be hanging out with the wrong crowd.

Shit, my Jihadi membership card is prolly gonna get revoked any day now.

43 Usually refered to as anyways  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:28:36pm

re: #42 CuriousLurker

Um, actually we do believe in him, just not the same way you do.

Shit, my Jihadi membership card is prolly gonna get revoked any day now.

/ You must be a IINO

44 Kid A  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:28:49pm

"Sodomy-based marriage?" This nut realizes that a lot of straight marriages are "sodomy-based" too, right?

45 Decatur Deb  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:30:12pm

re: #44 Kid A

Ours is sort of "coffee-based".

46 freetoken  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:31:38pm
47 Decatur Deb  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:31:52pm

re: #42 CuriousLurker

Um, actually we do believe in him, just not the same way you do.

...snip

Shit, my Jihadi membership card is prolly gonna get revoked any day now.

Can you renew by mail, or do you have to go to Mecca for the stamp?

48 jaunte  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:32:10pm

re: #38 freetoken

I see Fischer is fantasizing about "sodomy" again.

He just can't get it out of his mind.

49 A Man for all Seasons  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:32:57pm

re: #42 CuriousLurker

Um, actually we do believe in him, just not the same way you do.

Shit, my Jihadi membership card is prolly gonna get revoked any day now.

My favorite moment on the Internet this year was Rodan completely freaking out about a post you made about warning friends of yours in the same city as he. Rodan freaked out and moved away declaring himself a bad ass as he went into hiding.. It still cracks me up.

50 freetoken  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:36:04pm

Just because:

Anti-LGBT Ugandan pastor uses fruit to demonstrate gay sex on live TV

A Ugandan pastor who opposes LGBT rights recently explained why he thought homosexuality was dangerous by giving a bizarre demonstration of gay sex with the assistance of fruits and vegetables.

[...]

The mind wanders....

51 ElCapitanAmerica  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:36:30pm

WTF?!?!

52 freetoken  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:37:47pm
Ssempa additionally pointed out that lesbians and transgender men “don’t have the equipment” so “they begin to use gadgets like bananas, they use carrots, they use bananas, they use cucumbers and other metalized ones, and they put them inside themselves…because they are not normal.”

I see this pastor has reached the Fischer level of fantasy.

53 stabby  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:38:46pm

Muslims should put together a class action suit against Fox News for a billion $

54 Decatur Deb  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:39:04pm

re: #52 freetoken

I see this pastor has reached the Fischer level of fantasy.

I see clever use of seasonal, locally-available products. Loca-humps.

55 stabby  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:39:45pm

re: #44 Kid A

Heh heh, you should tell him that. I want to see his response.

56 Lidane  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:39:57pm

re: #44 Kid A

It's only sodomy when the gays do it. For straight couples, it's called saddlebacking. ;)

57 Charles Johnson  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:40:45pm
58 Tigger2  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:40:57pm

To me the 45 beers just sounds like a I was to drunk to know what I was doing defense.

59 stabby  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:41:02pm

re: #45 Decatur Deb

Ours is sort of "coffee-based".

I want to know what kind of coffee you use!

I go back and forth between trying to save money by getting cheap coffee, and looking for expensive coffee.

60 Decatur Deb  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:41:08pm

re: #56 Lidane

Depending on the state law, it's almost anything but missionary.

61 wrenchwench  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:42:21pm

re: #52 freetoken

I see this pastor has reached the Fischer level of fantasy.

Reminds me of a story my mom told. The nuns were telling the kids what not to do on a date, and they had to explain French kissing because the kids hadn't heard of it. You probably can guess what was tried on subsequent dates.

62 Decatur Deb  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:43:39pm

re: #59 stabby

I want to know what kind of coffee you use!

We use ordinary Chock-Full O' Nuts, the TPGOP favorite. (We're really ritualistic about our French press, and the Prime Directive: "First one up hits the squeezer.")

63 Lidane  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:43:54pm

re: #60 Decatur Deb

Depending on the state law, it's almost anything but missionary.

Pretty much, yeah. But the evangelicals like to pretend that "sodomy" only counts if gays do it.

64 Decatur Deb  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:44:47pm

re: #61 wrenchwench

Got all my sex-ed from friars and nuns. It worked.

65 stabby  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:48:45pm

re: #62 Decatur Deb

I never tried that but I think it has chicory in it.

Sometimes I miss cheap coffee. I remember the smell of cheap coffee that probably has robusto beans in it from my childhood.

But you can't even buy anything that will admit to having robusto because everyone knows that they're a lower grade of coffee.

The problem is that the real quality of coffee is almost 100% freshness. So in theory fresh rubosto should be pretty good. But cheap coffee all comes in cans that are rarely fresh.

66 William Barnett-Lewis  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:49:08pm

re: #53 stabby

The magic word they need to use is RICO.

67 stabby  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:50:08pm

re: #66 William Barnett-Lewis

RICO?
how does that work?

68 freetoken  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:52:02pm

re: #66 William Barnett-Lewis

The magic word they need to use is RICO.

Which of course won't apply, unless someone can indeed show colusion between a significant number of these outlets.

if one could show that the owner of News Corp were collaborating with Clear Channel for the express purposes of maligning and harming a group - then I suppose it could work.

But Murdoch has covered his trails well, and so has Romney creation Bain.

69 CuriousLurker  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:52:19pm

re: #43 Usually refered to as anyways

/ You must be a IINO

That would be a MINO, not an IINO. Sheesh, at least get your epithets right. //

70 stabby  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:54:16pm

I think a lawyer could collect testimony from a large number of cases where Muslims were attacked and show that in each of these cases the perpetrator either mentioned Fox News or mentioned someone featured on Fox News.

Thus it could be shown that Fox News incites violence against Muslims in general.

71 Kid A  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:54:30pm

re: #55 stabby

Heh heh, you should tell him that. I want to see his response.

Stand by... :)

72 William Barnett-Lewis  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:54:42pm

re: #67 stabby

RICO?
how does that work?

[Link: en.wikipedia.org...]

It's what they use to gut mob infested companies.

73 stabby  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:54:52pm

If a lower bar, such as inciting hatred would suffice, then that could be shown.

74 stabby  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:55:26pm

bbl

75 CuriousLurker  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:55:38pm

re: #47 Decatur Deb

Can you renew by mail, or do you have to go to Mecca for the stamp?

I dunno. I heard that you can get it renewed in Afghanistan, but their postal service really sucks. Maybe if I fax it to Morsi over in Egypt... //

76 Vicious Michigan Union Thug  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:56:23pm

Is Bryan fucking insane? (We all know the answer to that)

77 Usually refered to as anyways  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:57:06pm

re: #69 CuriousLurker

That would be a MINO, not an IINO. Sheesh, at least get your epithets right. //

Mea culpa...

78 dragonfire1981  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:57:31pm

Hypothetical question: If your neighbor tells you should feel super safe living next to him because he has a huge arsenal (20+ rifles, 10+ shotguns, at least 20 handguns along with body armor, tons of ammo and high capacity clips) would you believe him or start fearing for your life?

79 Decatur Deb  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:57:41pm

re: #75 CuriousLurker

You gotta upgrade to the Catholic thing. You just go into a little box in any church in the world, and 5 minutes later you're good to go.

80 dragonfire1981  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:58:09pm

re: #76 Vicious Michigan Union Thug

Is Bryan fucking insane? (We all know the answer to that)

He's going to be in for a rude awakening when he ends up going the opposite direction than he thinks he is.

81 kirkspencer  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:58:44pm

re: #9 freetoken

Actually, we shall have ironic relief from Clear Channel. See, they're a Bain company and they're having a few problems. Basically, nobody sees how they're going to refinance the ~$10B in debt Bain tagged them with - debt that's due in 2016.

82 Kid A  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 3:59:51pm

Can someone tell me how to properly copy a tweet and paste it here?

83 CuriousLurker  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:00:26pm

re: #49 A Man for all Seasons

Yeah, I heard about all the melodrama. *eyeroll*

84 aagcobb  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:00:37pm

re: #70 stabby

Fox News lawyers aren't going to allow anything to be said not protected by the 1st Amendment.

85 Usually refered to as anyways  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:00:43pm
86 Killgore Trout  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:00:52pm

One beer every 8 minutes for 6 hours.

I don't think that's physically possible. Even experienced drinkers can have a hard time with the power hour.

Each shot of beer contains 1.5 fluid ounces (US) (44mL), for a total of 90 fl. oz. (5.63 US pints, 2.66 litres, or 4.68 Imperial units pints) of consumption during the power hour. For purposes of blood alcohol content, this amount of beer is equivalent to 7.5 drinks.

For six hours in a row? Sounds like he's bragging making excuses.

87 Kid A  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:01:09pm
Eric Smith ‏@ericphototx
@BryanJFischer You realize there are a lot of "sodomy-based" straight marriages, right?
88 The Ghost of a Flea  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:03:13pm

re: #52 freetoken

I see this pastor has reached the Fischer level of fantasy.

So, any cylindrical or conical fruit prompts Ssempa to think about putting it in a man's ass.

Yeah, I went there.

89 Gus  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:03:24pm

re: #87 Kid A

Just paste the URL.

90 Decatur Deb  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:04:48pm

(Wrong comment quoted)

91 wrenchwench  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:04:52pm

re: #82 Kid A

Can someone tell me how to properly copy a tweet and paste it here?

Don't listen to Gus.

Click on 'expand' at the bottom of the tweet. Then click on 'details'. Then just paste the URL.

92 Kid A  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:05:08pm
93 CuriousLurker  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:05:52pm

re: #92 Kid A

You did it! *claps*

94 Decatur Deb  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:06:32pm

re: #78 dragonfire1981

Around here, I would believe him and not worry much. No matter how many rifles are involved, we both have the same number of hands.

95 Gus  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:07:20pm

re: #91 wrenchwench

Don't listen to Gus.

Wrong! :P

I typically right click the time of the Tweet and "Copy Link Location" then paste. No need for details or opening up the Tweet.

96 wrenchwench  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:08:02pm

re: #95 Gus

Wrong! :P

You're always ahead of me! :(

97 Kid A  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:08:50pm

I really hope he tweets back, and that I get told I'm going to hell or something.

98 aagcobb  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:08:54pm

re: #85 Usually refered to as anyways

Comedy relief...

The 25 Funniest AutoCorrects Of 2012

OMG, that's the funniest shit, I couldn't stop laughing.

99 wrenchwench  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:09:34pm

It works!

100 Kid A  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:09:41pm

re: #98 aagcobb

OMG, that's the funniest shit, I couldn't stop laughing.

McDonkadonk, lol.

101 Gus  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:10:11pm

re: #99 wrenchwench

It works!

102 wrenchwench  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:14:41pm

re: #101 Gus

He's been especially morose and hilarious this holiday season.

103 freetoken  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:16:40pm

Now boys and girls, time for today's lesson in American Exceptionalism:

104 Lidane  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:17:13pm
105 Kragar  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:17:34pm

A dramatic reenactment of me at the last team concall I will be attending this year:

106 Gus  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:17:54pm

re: #102 wrenchwench

He's been especially morose and hilarious this holiday season.

I only recently started following him after he followed me first. :D

107 wrenchwench  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:18:14pm
108 dragonfire1981  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:19:02pm

re: #98 aagcobb

OMG, that's the funniest shit, I couldn't stop laughing.

Some of the responses are funnier than the screw ups. "Hamsta paradise" hahahaha.

109 Kragar  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:19:05pm

Judson Phillips: 'If You Want to Pin Blame on Sandy Hook, Blame the Teachers Unions'

Tea Party Nation head Judson Phillips has been pushing out articles from his fellow TPN activists attacking teachers over the Sandy Hook shooting and is now finally out with a post of his own blaming teachers for the massacre. He said teachers’ unions are a “focus of evil” as they have turned the school into a “target rich environments for some lunatic or terrorist,” urging the government to ban unions and “break up the public school system.”

110 wrenchwench  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:19:28pm

re: #106 Gus

I only recently started following him after he followed me first. :D

He followed you first?!?

You are truly a Big Twit on the Internet. **bows**

111 dragonfire1981  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:19:51pm

re: #109 Kragar

Yes, blame the Unions, because they failed to arm the teachers.

112 Targetpractice  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:21:56pm

re: #104 Lidane

215-209, all Democrats voting "Nay." Still trying to find out if Boehner pulled back the tax bill or if it just managed to squeak by unnoticed.

113 freetoken  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:22:47pm

re: #111 dragonfire1981

Yes, blame the Unions, because they failed to arm the teachers.

Not to mention failing to arm the students.

114 Gus  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:23:04pm

re: #110 wrenchwench

He followed you first?!?

You are truly a Big Twit on the Internet. **bows**

I understand I won't make Twitterati status until I reach 1000 followers. //

115 Targetpractice  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:23:11pm

Nevermind, seems they recessed the House momentarily to do a bit more whipping of the votes.

That screaming you hear is the sound of freedom, folks.//

116 Kragar  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:25:36pm

Creationist upset that other Christians think he's an idiot

Ham believes that God is the Creator of the universe and that it took six literal days for God to create everything. That view, he says, is a consequence of accepting the authority of the Word of God as infallible. To reject that belief is to undermine that authority.

Yet many Christians, he laments, not only dismiss the literal reading of the Creation account but also feel embarrassed by it.

"In today's modern scientific age, many Christians believe it's an embarrassment to accept a straightforward reading of Genesis and that Christians should not reject the majority view in the scientific community that accepts millions of years and other evolutionary beliefs," Ham, whose ministry is behind the Creation Museum, told The Christian Post this week.
...
One supporter of Answers in Genesis was stunned to encounter opposition to the literal six days view. The supporter, identified as J.C. from Boise, Idaho, described that incident to AiG.

"I was at the gym, in the locker room, telling a pastor how great the [Creation] museum was. Pastor Jack asked me, 'You believe in a literal 6 days?'

"'Absolutely!' I replied.

"Then out of nowhere, a man came around the corner who overheard our conversation said, 'Ken Ham is a piece of c-,'" J.C. recounted. "This man went on to tell me that he has four degrees, studies fossils, bends light, is a Christian, and is a follower of Reasons to Believe and its president Hugh Ross. But out of his same mouth he called a fellow Christian a piece of c-. There was no sign of the humble heart of a Christian.

"I can't believe that I have fellow brothers and sisters wanting to side with 'scientists.'

117 wrenchwench  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:28:08pm

re: #114 Gus

I understand I won't make Twitterati status until I reach 1000 followers. //

I could make a few sockpuppets and follow you some more.

[looks]

I can't make that many sockpuppets.

118 Targetpractice  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:29:08pm

So yeah, as it stands now, the House has just replaced the sequester with a bill that's all entitlement cuts and overturning of Wall Street reform rules. In roughly an hour, Boehner decides whether or not to he's got the votes to lead the GOP truly over the cliff by voting on middle class tax increases, further tax cuts for the rich, and a guaranteed debt limit fight in a few month's time.

Thing I'm gonna go make some popcorn, because this is gettin' good.

119 Gus  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:29:54pm

re: #117 wrenchwench

I could make a few sockpuppets and follow you some more.

[looks]

I can't make that many sockpuppets.

I want to have 3,000,000 followers while only following 12 people. //

120 b_sharp  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:30:36pm

re: #85 Usually refered to as anyways

Comedy relief...

The 25 Funniest AutoCorrects Of 2012

Thank you for that.
That was the first time in months I laughed out loud. Repeatedly.

121 Decatur Deb  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:31:38pm

re: #119 Gus

I want to have 3,000,000 followers while only following 12 people. //

You'll need a really fancy hat for that.

122 blueraven  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:32:46pm

The house just took an unexpected recess w/o voting on the so called "Plan B".

Boehner must not have had the votes.

123 researchok  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:33:23pm

re: #119 Gus

Close your eyes and click your red sneaker heels 3,000,000 times while saying there's no place like twitter, there's no place like twitter...

It works.

124 Targetpractice  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:34:04pm

re: #122 blueraven

The house just took an unexpected recess w/o voting on the so called "Plan B".

Boehner must not have had the votes.

He can only afford 23 defections by House GOP and still pass the bill, assuming no Democrats support it. The Hill's estimate was that 25 have defected instead.

125 Kragar  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:34:21pm

re: #120 b_sharp

Thank you for that.
That was the first time in months I laughed out loud. Repeatedly.

EPIC PENIS!!!

Story of my life.

126 freetoken  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:34:24pm

re: #122 blueraven

It's all theatre. John the Orange knows that whatever passes the House must be approved in the Senate. In the meantime he gets lots of media attention and allows his own party activists to vent.

127 Targetpractice  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:35:40pm

re: #126 freetoken

From all appearances, he's hoping that he can use it as leverage with Obama. "Give me more concessions or be responsible for taxes rising." Last I heard, Obama's prepared to tell him not only to go to Hell, but also give him directions.

128 freetoken  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:37:48pm

re: #127 Targetpractice

It's still all "fiscal cliff" soap opera stuff.

I wish the President wouldn't play along with the drama.

The world won't end if compromise isn't reached by the strike of a bell on the midnight hour. Bill on taxes, spending, etc. don't have to all be passed at the same time.

This is not the Mayan apocalypse.

129 EPR-radar  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:37:49pm

re: #116 Kragar

Creationist upset that other Christians think he's an idiot

Other Christians should give the YE Creationists the most grief. Talk about damaging the brand.

130 Kragar  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:38:02pm

I see Steam's Christmas sale has begun.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein for $6? Very tempting.

131 Kragar  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:39:11pm

re: #129 EPR-radar

The truth of our faith becomes a matter of ridicule among the infidels if any Catholic, not gifted with the necessary scientific learning, presents as dogma what scientific scrutiny shows to be false. - Thomas Aquinas

132 blueraven  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:39:57pm

re: #124 Targetpractice

Idiots. Obama needs to go off on them for playing these games as the country prepares to go off the cliff. I imagine the stock market will not look good tomorrow. The GOP is one hot mess.

133 Gus  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:41:39pm

re: #126 freetoken

Harry Reid won't let Plan B come up for a vote in the Senate. As are other Senate Democrats. So nix the Senate and then add Obama's promised veto of a Plan B. It's just done for show. Boehner wants to get it passed in the House so he can say "see I tried." At the same time he's not even coming close to compromising with the president.

134 Vicious Michigan Union Thug  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:42:03pm

re: #85 Usually refered to as anyways

Comedy relief...

The 25 Funniest AutoCorrects Of 2012

I laughed so hard I pulled a fartmussel

I meant a rib mustard

OH SHIT a RIB MUSCLE.

135 freetoken  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:42:47pm

re: #133 Gus

And it looks like malcontents in his own party is going to steal the "I tried" plea from him.

136 Targetpractice  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:49:24pm

re: #135 freetoken

It's pretty much why he hasn't yet killed the Senate tax bill, because he may need to pass it next week just to have any hope of saving the GOP some face.

137 Pawn of the Oppressor  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:53:48pm

re: #52 freetoken

I see this pastor has reached the Fischer level of fantasy.

"And that, children, is how the pastor became the Ministry of Agriculture's Gourd Salesman of the Year..."

138 freetoken  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:56:06pm

Our next lesson boys and girls, on this day when the grand House of the United States does triple backflips:

139 Patricia Kayden  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:57:44pm

"drank 45 beers"
Yikes!

That would probably make me want to burn something down too.

140 Stanghazi  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:57:47pm

Haha Boehner you putz.

141 Pawn of the Oppressor  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 4:59:37pm

re: #139 Patricia Kayden

"drank 45 beers"
Yikes!

That would probably make me want to burn something down too.

I'm thinking Fox News would drive me to drink too, or put another way, I couldn't watch it sober. So, to a certain degree, I can sympathize with this guy!

142 Mattand  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:00:23pm

re: #139 Patricia Kayden

"drank 45 beers"
Yikes!

That would probably make me want to burn something down too.

I'm calling bullshit on 45 beers. That's 9 beers an hour, over six hours. That guy's not that much older than me. He'd have been in a coma or dead.

143 engineer cat  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:00:40pm

re: #85 Usually refered to as anyways

Comedy relief...

The 25 Funniest AutoCorrects Of 2012

how come i never get to shave any lesbians...

144 makeitstop  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:01:16pm

re: #108 dragonfire1981

I think 'fuckweasel' is my new favorite word.

145 Mattand  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:02:07pm

re: #130 Kragar

I see Steam's Christmas sale has begun.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein for $6? Very tempting.

I was looking at some of the non-Mac stuff. I've got Crossover running (run Windows software without Windows), but I'm not real confident that the games would play smoothly.

146 Pawn of the Oppressor  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:03:41pm

re: #134 Vicious Michigan Union Thug

"This morning I choked a goat and pissed in my coffee."

LMAO... Haven't we all had one of those days?

And I like that fuckweasel is a color.

147 b_sharp  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:04:49pm

re: #146 Pawn of the Oppressor

"This morning I choked a goat and pissed in my coffee."

LMAO... Haven't we all had one of those days?

I only choke my goat in the shower.

148 Targetpractice  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:05:38pm

re: #146 Pawn of the Oppressor

"This morning I choked a goat and pissed in my coffee."

LMAO... Haven't we all had one of those days?

Shot an elephant once in my pajamas. How it got in my pajamas, I'll never know.

149 Velvet Elvis  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:06:01pm

45 beers? I usually quit counting after six or eight.

150 Mattand  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:06:45pm

re: #147 b_sharp

I only choke my goat in the shower.

I will never be able to read The Billy Goats Gruff to the nieces and nephews ever again.

151 b_sharp  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:07:26pm

re: #149 Velvet Elvis

45 beers? I usually quit counting after six or eight.

The guy can only count up to 'another one'.

152 b_sharp  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:09:32pm

re: #149 Velvet Elvis

45 beers? I usually quit counting after six or eight.

When someone asks him to pick a number between 1 and 10 he always picks 45.

153 Targetpractice  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:11:07pm

So now word is that Boehner still doesn't have the votes and hauled off the House GOP for a little last-minute backroom discussion, about 25 minutes ago. Considering how shitty a poker hand he's got, I don't any are really gonna be motivated by assurances that he can get Obama to fold.

154 Stanghazi  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:11:32pm

re: #143 engineer cat

re: #144 makeitstop

I'm reading now with tears.

155 blueraven  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:11:55pm

Now they have cancelled the vote on Plan B.

How the hell could they schedule this when they didn't have the votes?
Pelosi would have never done something so stupid.

156 Targetpractice  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:13:51pm

re: #155 blueraven

Now they have cancelled the vote on Plan B.

How the hell could they schedule this when they didn't have the votes?
Pelosi would have never done something so stupid.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

157 b_sharp  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:14:48pm

The doctor prescribed some antibiotics for me and wants me to take two a day for 10 days. I don't have that kind of patience.

Why can't I just take them all at once?

158 PhillyPretzel  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:15:32pm

That damn you autocorrect is a riot. I laughed so hard. Thanks. :)

159 makeitstop  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:16:30pm

re: #155 blueraven

Now they have cancelled the vote on Plan B.

How the hell could they schedule this when they didn't have the votes?
Pelosi would have never done something so stupid.

Boehner is one inept mofo.

160 Stanghazi  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:16:47pm
161 Targetpractice  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:17:50pm

re: #159 makeitstop

Boehner is one inept mofo.

Pretty much. Obama's got him by the balls and there's no way he's gonna get a better deal. If anything, he's just proven there's no way he can get the votes necessary to pass a deal before we hit the cliff.

162 freetoken  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:21:21pm

Old philanders never die, they just keep going on and on and on and ....

FIRST ON CNN: Mark Sanford plans to run for Congress

163 Vicious Michigan Union Thug  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:23:27pm

re: #150 Mattand

This is my own, Vicious Michigan Union Thug version of The Three Billy Goats Gruff. Enjoy.

164 blueraven  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:23:29pm

re: #161 Targetpractice

He can take the deal Obama offered...get the Democrat votes and try to rustle up enough sane Republicans (if there are any left)

165 freetoken  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:25:28pm

re: #164 blueraven

Or just kick the can down the road until the new Congress seats.

166 Jocko's Rocket Ship  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:26:33pm

re: #76 Vicious Michigan Union Thug

He probably thinks that's a "gotcha" stat, but anyone paying attention knows "feet" had a career year in 2010.

167 freetoken  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:27:01pm

When the new Congress comes in, even though John the Orange will likely remain Speaker, the Democrats could push for a bill to pass if they could only get 13 Republicans to cross the aisle and vote with them.

168 Gus  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:31:53pm
169 PhillyPretzel  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:32:59pm

re: #168 Gus

Chicken.

170 Targetpractice  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:33:10pm

re: #167 freetoken

I'm not sure that will be the case. If anything, tonight might have been the closest thing we'll get to a no-confidence vote prior to next month. If anything, we might be talking Speaker Cantor next month.

171 Joanne  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:41:33pm

re: #167 freetoken

After this debacle of We Got The Votes, I'm not betting on John the Orange holding onto that speakership. I think that's a losing bet.

172 Targetpractice  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 5:48:54pm

re: #171 Joanne

Thought what was telling was seeing video of Cantor leaving the House just after Boehner announced he was pulling the bill. Had the sort of shit-eating grin you only see when you know your boss just fucked up and its gonna be his neck on the chopping block.

173 Feline Fearless Leader  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:00:13pm

lol

Image: nbs_fruitsex_121220a.gif

Isn't "Veggie Tales" a Christian-based children's program?

O_o

174 Feline Fearless Leader  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:02:19pm

re: #78 dragonfire1981

Start the tunnel into his gun safe/armory from the back side. When the balloon goes up you'll be prepared and ready while the barbarians raid the empty henhouse.

175 Feline Fearless Leader  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:06:11pm

re: #124 Targetpractice

Given that the bill just passed was the GOP going back on the debt ceiling deal I doubt they will get the support.

176 7-y (Expectation of Great Things in Due Course)  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 6:30:41pm

I have a close (1/4-mile) neighbor in my rural part of Ann Arbor, 7 miles SW from the Diag. He's a rather aggressive litigant about land, and appears to have a lot of anger.

This week, I've seen 20+ cement trucks head into his property. That's got to be a small percentage of the total, because I am not here and not watching most of the time. So, a hundred cement truck loads.Now we're getting gravel/earth trucks every 20 minutes. A Google Maps view of his property (a year old) shows a circular moat around an island: [Link: maps.google.com...]

Should I call for Captain America?

177 Bioinformatic  Thu, Dec 20, 2012 7:04:50pm

long-time-lurker reporting in.

my theory:

cop asks "How much have you had to drink tonight?"
guy mumbles "4 to 5 beers"

178 wrenchwench  Fri, Dec 21, 2012 9:30:58am

re: #177 Bioinformatic

Welcome, hatchling.

^ back to top ^

TwitterFacebook

Turn off all ads for a full year by subscribing!
For about 33 cents a day (per month) or 22 cents a day (per year), our subscription option turns off all advertisements at LGF!
Read more...

► LGF Headlines

► Tweeted Articles

► Tweeted Pages

► Top 10 Comments

► Bottom Comments

► Recent Comments

► Tools/Info

► Tag Cloud

► Contact

You must have Javascript enabled to use the contact form.
Your email:

Subject:

Message:

Messages may be published unless you request otherwise.
Tech Note:
Using the Contact Form
LGF Pages

This button leads to the main index of LGF Pages, our user-submitted articles. You can post your own LGF Pages simply by registering a free account with us.

Create a Page

This is the LGF Pages posting bookmarklet. To use it, drag this button to your browser's bookmark bar, and title it 'LGF Pages' (or whatever you like). Then browse to a site you want to post, select some text on the page to use for a quote, click the bookmarklet, and the Pages posting window will appear with the title, text, and any embedded video or audio files already filled in, ready to go.

Last updated: 2014-03-07 2:19 pm PST

LGF User's Guide
Recent Pages
Randall Gross
Wisconsin Supreme Court to Rule Thursday on Union Law, Voter ID
The Wisconsin Supreme Court Thursday is expected to issue three historic rulings affecting union bargaining, election law and same-sex couples. Set for release this morning are long-awaited opinions on whether Gov. Scott Walker's labor law is constitutional, whether voters ...

18 minutes ago
Views: 42 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 0
Rightwingconspirator
The Stark Beauty Of The Flaw In the Gem. Literally.
It's late, I'm beat and just signed off from a good discussion in Obdi's Page tonight. But I ran across this after signing out and had to share it. I found a kindred style of photography from a part of ...

7 hours, 1 minute ago
Views: 75 • Comments: 2
Tweets: 1 • Rating: 3
CriticalDragon1177
Skepchick - Food is for White Liberals What Sex Is For The Religious Right
An interesting commentary by Julia Burke, on the obsession some people on the far left have with food, and how it is similar to how some people on right feel about sex. Do you agree? Do you think the analogy ...

Views: 194 • Comments: 2
Tweets: 1 • Rating: 1
EiMitch
Cracked: 5 Reasons The Classic American Summer is Totally Dead
They could've called this article "Look at how 'supply-side' economics, anti-environmentalism, and all-around pro-oligarch legislation and ideology has destroyed some of the most iconic, classic Americana." cracked.com Oh, and gentrification-based laws are also robbing us of the classic ice-cream truck ...

Views: 125 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 0
_RememberTonyC
Qatar, Bergdahl, and Hamas
One thing we have learned in the current conflict is that Hamas has three main sponsors: Turkey, Iran, and Qatar. So when Bergdahl was released and the five taliban bigs were released into the "custody" of Qatar, we basically handed ...

Views: 164 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 0
Skip Intro
Outside Money Drives a Deluge of Political Ads
WASHINGTON -- An explosion of spending on political advertising on television -- set to break $2 billion in congressional races, with overall spots up nearly 70 percent since the 2010 midterm election -- is accelerating the rise of moneyed ...

Views: 221 • Comments: 1
Tweets: 4 • Rating: 3
Romantic Heretic
Preventing Poverty Not Allowed As A Goal for Charity
The Canada Revenue Agency (Canada's equivalent of the IRS) has told OXFAM Canada that it cannot list 'preventing poverty' as a goal, only 'alleviating' it. The reason is "Relieving poverty is charitable, but preventing it is not." This is just ...

Views: 509 • Comments: 12
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 5
FemNaziBitch
Safer Era Tests Wisdom of ‘Broken Windows’ Focus on Minor Crime
While the apparent chokehold fueled much of the initial public outcry, community leaders have begun asking whether focusing police officers so intently on such petty offenses makes sense in a city that is far different and far safer than ...

Views: 398 • Comments: 2
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 1
Mentis Fugit
Frisson
Over at the quirky Riddled blog, I encountered this music video link. I have the album, but I had last listened long ago, and I had forgotten the lyrics. The lengthy, moody intro slowly drew me back thirty five years, ...

1 week, 1 day ago
Views: 283 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 0
BadExampleMan
The painful futility of war
This makes me furious. These men pledged their loyalty to their country and their country betrayed them. It treated them as disposable, throwing their lives away in a war that was premised on lies, that was chosen gleefully, and that ...

Views: 455 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 1 • Rating: 1
 Frank says:

A prune isn't really a vegetable...
CABBAGE is a vegetable...