TwitterFacebook

Facepalm: The Wingnut Word-Counting Brigade Springs Into Action Again

Only commies use personal pronouns this much
Wingnuts • Views: 34,083

‘Tis the season for wingnuts to recycle their anti-Obama memes, and once again we find them diligently counting words in Obama’s speeches, in order to prove — prove, I say! — that the President is an uppity malignant narcissist who thinks he’s important for some reason: Obama Uses Funeral Service to Talk About Himself | the Weekly Standard.

President Barack Obama used the funeral for Hawaii senator Daniel Inouye to talk about himself. In the short 1,600 word speech, Obama used the word “my” 21 times, “me” 12 times, and “I” 30 times.

If you saw the President’s speech about Daniel Inouye, you know it was a touching, heartfelt tribute to the Senator from Obama’s state of birth. So naturally, the right wing was provoked into paroxysms of rage and personal pronoun-counting.

This non-argument is not supposed to convince anyone (how could it?); it’s just a numb-skulled tactic the wingnut chattering classes have been using to rile up the knuckle-draggers for years, recycling it at periodic intervals when they can’t think of any other way to attack Obama.

For example, here’s our post on an idiotic word-counting exercise by George Will in 2009: Ready … Set … Now Count Those Words!

At least we know some of them can actually count.

1 PhillyPretzel  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 1:16:36pm

Perhaps someone should start counting their words and reminding them of it every few minutes. /half

2 Vicious Babushka  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 1:24:16pm

Anybody want to watch a Bryan Fischer video and count the number of times he says "I" "me" and "my"?

I would, but I would throw up too many times.

3 Four More Tears  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 1:26:09pm

They need to send Obama a bill for all that space he's renting in their heads.

4 BongCrodny  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 1:27:37pm
Kit: The letter K appears in this script 1,456 times. That's perfectly divisible by 3.
Freddy: So what? So what you saying?
Kit: What am I saying? KKK appears in this script 486 times!

-- "Bowfinger"

Once again, derp follows art.

5 Achilles Tang  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 1:30:23pm

Has anyone analyzed Reagan's speeches? Jesus (as they were imagined)?

6 Usually refered to as anyways  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 1:31:16pm

dragonath said it best here.

Gallup, this morning:

Obama Approval - 58% (+2)

*pop* *pop* *pop*

7 The Ghost of a Flea  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 1:33:14pm

How stupid do you have to be to imagine that a straight count of pronouns produces a meaningful picture of the content?

I remember, I feel, I was told a story by, I respected...when we speak about a topic, opinions and emotions are framed in terms of "I" statements, because it's recognition of embedded perspective, not omniscience or pure factuality.

Seriously...morons.

8 Obdicut  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 1:41:48pm

re: #7 The Ghost of a Flea

Made up example:

"I would like to say that I am not deserving of this honor. I didn't do most of the work on this, the credit belongs to many others besides myself, and for this honor to come to me makes me feel embarrassed. I hope that people remember me saying this more than me receiving this award."

OMG Look at all the I's and me's and myselfs the vain bastard.

9 dragonath  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 1:44:54pm

I have to admit, the first time I heard a Reagan speech, I had a hard time figuring what the fuss was all about.

10 Randall Gross  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 1:51:03pm

I blame Anne Coulter for this kind of debased logic - she was the first one I recall citing the number of times a word or phrase appeared in Lexis- Nexis searches as proof of this, that, or the other.

11 Kragar  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 1:52:42pm

re: #9 dragonath

Kind of like Ayn Rand and Ron Paul.

12 sattv4u2  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 1:52:51pm

re: #10 Randall Gross

iirc, it was Rush who was the big Lexis utilizer, but same point

13 Charles Johnson  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 1:53:28pm

re: #7 The Ghost of a Flea

This stupid:

President First Person Singular and His Radical Cult of Antisocial Admirers : The Other McCain

14 Randall Gross  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 1:53:40pm

re: #12 sattv4u2

Well I just recall it from reading her books. Including the first one.

15 Randall Gross  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 1:55:27pm

re: #11 Kragar

Kind of like Ayn Rand and Ron Paul.

And of course to the GOP's current orginal prophet of wild west capitalism and Galtian individualism, use of "I" is a sign of individualism as opposed to you know, socialism and communism....

[Link: en.wikipedia.org...]

16 stabby  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:01:00pm

Heh, heh, back in the 70's and a little in the 80's people this stupid used hand writing analysis pseudoscience to attack people. Remember that?

17 A Man for all Seasons  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:01:32pm

unfortunately I have given 2 eulogies in my life. I spoke of how they effected me. Stories of us and things we did during life. Yes, they deeply effected me and counting pronouns is deeply disturbing as a political tactic.

18 Amory Blaine  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:02:05pm

Santa and Machine Guns: In Arizona, Christmas Is Here Again

Nothing says Christmas like a family photo with Santa and an AK-47.

Arizona's Scottsdale Gun Club hosts what might be the oddest photo opportunity of the holiday season -- a family picture with jolly Ol' St. Nick and some high-powered firearms: AK-47s, grenade launchers and machine guns.

"People decide to celebrate the holidays in unique ways," said club spokesman Ron Kennedy. "Some choose to do it with Santa at the mall, others in front of their tree. Our members and customers like to do it with 'Santa and Machine Guns.'"

People in this country are diseased. This truly represents their "war on Christmas". Dumbfucks.

19 stabby  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:02:39pm

According to this bullshit Bob Dole is the least egotistical person in the woooorrrrld.

20 stabby  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:03:27pm

Bob Dole!

21 Vicious Babushka  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:03:50pm

Holy crap WTF

22 darthstar  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:04:39pm

re: #19 stabby

You should talk to Bob Dole about Bob Dole. He loves saying Bob Dole.

23 stabby  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:05:04pm

re: #21 Vicious Michigan Union Thug

Holy crap WTF

Well for instance he said he was born.

24 Kronocide  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:05:33pm

What do you expect from the craven d-bags who espouse those who cry racism are the real racists?

I don't think it's stupidity or merely being a moron, though that has a lot to do with it as there is a huge amount of idiocy. This is based in hate. They cannot use the nCLANG any more, so let's focus on the worst possible personal attributes one can ascribe to any action or words no matter how benign: wife is fat/ugly, Obama is narcissist/foreigner/Muslim/socialist/liberal.

It's really really sad and pathetic.

The fiscal cliff memes aren't working, the gun debate isn't really going our way, so let's get the Narcissist in Chief meme fired up again boys.

25 Randall Gross  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:06:07pm

re: #18 Amory Blaine

Santa and Machine Guns: In Arizona, Christmas Is Here Again

Arizona has the second highest rate of gun deaths by state in the country for a reason!
[Link: www.statemaster.com...]

(DC is really a city, not a state)

26 stabby  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:06:33pm

Bob Dole!

27 stabby  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:07:54pm

Timmy!

28 wrenchwench  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:08:56pm

re: #24 Kronocide

I don't think it's stupidity or merely being a moron, though that has a lot to do with it as there is a huge amount of idiocy. This is based in hate. They cannot use the nCLANG any more, so let's focus on the worst possible personal attributes one can ascribe any to action words no matter how benign: wife is fat/ugly, Obama is narcissist/foreigner/Muslim/socialist/liberal.

It's really really sad and pathetic.

How dare the leader of the finest, most exceptional nation in the history of the world, the shining beacon of freedom, the pinnacle of civilization, think highly of himself!!!1!

29 S.D.  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:13:06pm

re: #3 Four More Tears

They need to send Obama a bill for all that space he's renting in their heads.

Thank you, I nearly choked on my drink laughing at that!!!

30 darthstar  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:18:23pm

Our driveway this morning...my dogs supervising me, of course...took me an hour to dig the car out.
Image: 563621_10151298888351382_1150934470_n.jpg

Only took five minutes to do the rest (with the help of a large caterpillar)
Image: 383689_10151329414628024_844375044_n.jpg

31 darthstar  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:18:51pm

Nice little bugs, those caterpillars.

32 sattv4u2  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:18:52pm

re: #30 darthstar

Image: 563621_10151298888351382_1150934470_n.jpg

Only took five minutes to do the rest (with the help of a large caterpillar)
Image: 383689_10151329414628024_844375044_n.jpg

Are those large snow clouds overhead !?!?!

33 stabby  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:20:59pm

re: #31 darthstar

34 darthstar  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:22:03pm

re: #32 sattv4u2

Are those large snow clouds overhead !?!?!

That's our balcony, which now has snow above the railing...and the doors to the balcony open out, of course. So we won't be going onto it until late spring at the earliest...unless I can climb up from the outside with a shovel (or a caterpillar).

35 darthstar  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:24:39pm

Avy at Squaw today...a few people buried but no fatalities. It's sketchy out there. So much weight on a layer of surface hoar (it rained a few weeks ago creating a hard layer, which gets little ice crystals that are not very stable...add three feet of snow on top and you get some big ass slides).

36 Gus  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:24:50pm

They're crazy.

37 sattv4u2  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:26:53pm

re: #35 darthstar

Thats how skiing is in the northeast ALL the time

1st time I went out west, into some actual powder, took me three days to acclimate myself to lean back, not forward and hard onto the edges of the skis

38 Romantic Heretic  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:27:41pm

re: #21 Vicious Michigan Union Thug

Holy crap WTF

He really is the dumbest man on the internet.

39 Charles Johnson  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:29:38pm
40 Romantic Heretic  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:31:05pm

re: #35 darthstar

I just finished reading this article on an avalanche with fatalities in Washington. Sobering.

41 dragonath  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:31:12pm

re: #11 Kragar

Kind of like Ayn Rand and Ron Paul.

Yeah, pretty much. The anti-communism speech that he made in support of Goldwater was filled with so much ad hominem, I had a hard time imagining anyone took him seriously.

The theme was anyone to the left of me is Karl Marx. No wonder Rush loves it.

42 sattv4u2  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:37:25pm

re: #40 Romantic Heretic

Was telling Darth earlier how we used to have to wait till spring- summer to ski Tuckerman Ravine in the White Mts of New Hampshire, after avalanche season

[Link: en.wikipedia.org...]

43 Pawn of the Oppressor  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:48:19pm

re: #23 stabby

Well for instance he said he was born.

No kidding. Everybody knows he was assembled from parts of dead famous Communists and animated with the spells of Ni-Clan'g-toth, Tenth Overlord of the Fire Pits, who's symbol is a five-headed calf, and who demands the blood of white people to sustain his power. Sheez...

44 Eventual Carrion  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:57:50pm

re: #43 Pawn of the Oppressor

I was afraid to say it. but that is exactly as I had if figured out too.

45 Sophist is the VillageGreen Preservation Society  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 8:28:23pm

Oh, come on guys, you have to admit they have a point here. Everyone knows that when you are giving a eulogy, it is considered very poor taste to talk about your own relationship to the deceased, or the effect they had upon your life.

46 Bulworth  Wed, Dec 26, 2012 6:52:33am

Really, Weekly Standard, really? Word counting the prez's speeches? You're supposed to be better than this. Your hackery is supposed to be about actual policy stuff.

^ back to top ^

TwitterFacebook

Turn off all ads for a full year by subscribing!
For about 33 cents a day (per month) or 22 cents a day (per year), our subscription option turns off all advertisements at LGF!
Read more...

► LGF Headlines

► Tweeted Articles

► Tweeted Pages

► Top 10 Comments

► Bottom Comments

► Recent Comments

► Tools/Info

► Tag Cloud

► Contact

You must have Javascript enabled to use the contact form.
Your email:

Subject:

Message:

Messages may be published unless you request otherwise.
Tech Note:
Using the Contact Form
LGF Pages

This button leads to the main index of LGF Pages, our user-submitted articles. You can post your own LGF Pages simply by registering a free account with us.

Create a Page

This is the LGF Pages posting bookmarklet. To use it, drag this button to your browser's bookmark bar, and title it 'LGF Pages' (or whatever you like). Then browse to a site you want to post, select some text on the page to use for a quote, click the bookmarklet, and the Pages posting window will appear with the title, text, and any embedded video or audio files already filled in, ready to go.

Last updated: 2014-03-07 2:19 pm PST

LGF User's Guide
Recent Pages
Skip Intro
Back Story of Yasiel Puig’s Journey to America Should Concern Dodgers
Seemingly from the moment Cuban refugee Yasiel Puig showed up at Dodger Stadium out of nowhere, arriving last June unwilling to discuss his unknown background, the talk behind the batting cages has been rife with unprintable rumors. There were rumors Puig was smuggled out of Cuba by members of a Mexican drug cartel. There were rumors he still owed the smugglers money, and ...

40 minutes ago
Views: 27 • Comments: 1
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 0
aagcobb
Ben Mathis-Lilley, Slate: New York Electoral College: State Joins National Popular Vote Interstate Compact. Instead of pushing for a Constitutional amendment, which would have to be ratified in 38 states, advocates ask individual state legislatures to pass an agreement: that they'll pledge all their presidential electors to the winner of the national popular vote as soon as enough other states pass the law to ...

1 hour, 20 minutes ago
Views: 30 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 0
palmerskiss
These 5 Countries Are Crushing the Whole Gender Equality Thing at Home
When looking at this data, it's important to remember that gender equality isn't just about women working more paid hours or doing less housework. It's also about men cutting back their work hours to pitch in more around the house. Countries that have lighter workweeks, in fact, tend to have a more equal distribution between men and women in the home. The OECD ...

Views: 117 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 0
Randall Gross
Planned Anti-Gay Rally in Ethiopia Is Cancelled
A planned anti-gay rally that would have made Ethiopia the latest African country to demonize gays has been cancelled, officials said Wednesday. In addition, plans by the legislature to add gay sex to a list of crimes not eligible for presidential pardons has been dropped, said Redwan Hussein, a government spokesman. Hostility toward gays across Africa is high. Uganda and Nigeria increased penalties ...

Views: 52 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 0
FemNaziBitch
When Evangelicals Were Pro-Choice - GOPlifer
Jamelle Bouie had a great piece at Slate last week explaining the long strange journey of Protestant Evangelicals from pressing for the expansion of abortion rights to vehement opposition to nearly every aspect of women's reproductive choices. Bouie correctly identifies the trend, but he misses an important pivot point that calls the rest of his analysis into question. Bouie correctly points out that ...

Views: 105 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 2
cycroft
Russ Campbell’s Blog: Will Trudeau’s Party Pay for His Ill-Chosen Words?
Justin Trudeau has talked him­self into a defama­tion law­suit that is likely to leave his party quite a bit lighter in the wal­let. The shoot-from-the-lip Lib­eral leader and his On­tario cam­paign co-chair David Mac­Naughton are named in a $1.5-mil­lion li­bel suit filed on be­half of Chris­tine Innes, a can­di­date who was barred from run­ning for the Lib­eral party. Innes had wanted to con­test ...

Views: 56 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 0
Political Atheist
The Insane History of Rockets at Jet Propulsion Laboratories
The Rocket Boys In the late 1930s, a group of Caltech graduate students were booted off campus after blowing up (part of!) their building during a rocket test gone awry. Unwilling to give up on the joy of semi-controlled explosions, the students and a few of their friends headed into the San Gabriel Mountains. They picked a deserted gully -- Arroyo Seco -- ...

Views: 133 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 2
iossarian
Drug Companies Want Your Money
Two thematically-related stories on the BBC at the moment: UK drug company Glaxo 'paid bribes to Polish doctors' UK drug company GlaxoSmithKline is facing a criminal investigation in Poland for allegedly bribing doctors, BBC Panorama has discovered. Tamiflu: Millions wasted on flu drug, claims major report Hundreds of millions of pounds may have been wasted on a drug for flu that works no better ...

Views: 180 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 8 • Rating: 0
steve_davis
Skyline Pigeon
Your text to link...

Views: 229 • Comments: 2
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 4
Dark_Falcon
Presenting the Tracking Point AR series of rifles
Tracking Point has finally gotten their system to work with the AR-10 and AR-15 platforms. Now available in 5.56x45mm, 7.62x51mm and 300 AAC Blackout (a longer ranged 5.56 derivative). Hopefully, the Army and Marines can find the money for some of these, for these rifles will give our designated marksmen a real advantage in combat. They are also available for civilian sale, though at ...

5 days ago
Views: 386 • Comments: 4
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 2
 Frank says:

Ugly as I mights be, I am your futum!