TwitterFacebook

Facepalm: The Wingnut Word-Counting Brigade Springs Into Action Again

Only commies use personal pronouns this much
Wingnuts • Views: 34,331

‘Tis the season for wingnuts to recycle their anti-Obama memes, and once again we find them diligently counting words in Obama’s speeches, in order to prove — prove, I say! — that the President is an uppity malignant narcissist who thinks he’s important for some reason: Obama Uses Funeral Service to Talk About Himself | the Weekly Standard.

President Barack Obama used the funeral for Hawaii senator Daniel Inouye to talk about himself. In the short 1,600 word speech, Obama used the word “my” 21 times, “me” 12 times, and “I” 30 times.

If you saw the President’s speech about Daniel Inouye, you know it was a touching, heartfelt tribute to the Senator from Obama’s state of birth. So naturally, the right wing was provoked into paroxysms of rage and personal pronoun-counting.

This non-argument is not supposed to convince anyone (how could it?); it’s just a numb-skulled tactic the wingnut chattering classes have been using to rile up the knuckle-draggers for years, recycling it at periodic intervals when they can’t think of any other way to attack Obama.

For example, here’s our post on an idiotic word-counting exercise by George Will in 2009: Ready … Set … Now Count Those Words!

At least we know some of them can actually count.

1 PhillyPretzel  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 1:16:36pm

Perhaps someone should start counting their words and reminding them of it every few minutes. /half

2 Vicious Babushka  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 1:24:16pm

Anybody want to watch a Bryan Fischer video and count the number of times he says "I" "me" and "my"?

I would, but I would throw up too many times.

3 Four More Tears  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 1:26:09pm

They need to send Obama a bill for all that space he's renting in their heads.

4 BongCrodny  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 1:27:37pm
Kit: The letter K appears in this script 1,456 times. That's perfectly divisible by 3.
Freddy: So what? So what you saying?
Kit: What am I saying? KKK appears in this script 486 times!

-- "Bowfinger"

Once again, derp follows art.

5 Achilles Tang  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 1:30:23pm

Has anyone analyzed Reagan's speeches? Jesus (as they were imagined)?

6 Usually refered to as anyways  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 1:31:16pm

dragonath said it best here.

Gallup, this morning:

Obama Approval - 58% (+2)

*pop* *pop* *pop*

7 The Ghost of a Flea  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 1:33:14pm

How stupid do you have to be to imagine that a straight count of pronouns produces a meaningful picture of the content?

I remember, I feel, I was told a story by, I respected...when we speak about a topic, opinions and emotions are framed in terms of "I" statements, because it's recognition of embedded perspective, not omniscience or pure factuality.

Seriously...morons.

8 Obdicut  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 1:41:48pm

re: #7 The Ghost of a Flea

Made up example:

"I would like to say that I am not deserving of this honor. I didn't do most of the work on this, the credit belongs to many others besides myself, and for this honor to come to me makes me feel embarrassed. I hope that people remember me saying this more than me receiving this award."

OMG Look at all the I's and me's and myselfs the vain bastard.

9 dragonath  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 1:44:54pm

I have to admit, the first time I heard a Reagan speech, I had a hard time figuring what the fuss was all about.

10 Randall Gross  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 1:51:03pm

I blame Anne Coulter for this kind of debased logic - she was the first one I recall citing the number of times a word or phrase appeared in Lexis- Nexis searches as proof of this, that, or the other.

11 Kragar  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 1:52:42pm

re: #9 dragonath

Kind of like Ayn Rand and Ron Paul.

12 sattv4u2  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 1:52:51pm

re: #10 Randall Gross

iirc, it was Rush who was the big Lexis utilizer, but same point

13 Charles Johnson  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 1:53:28pm

re: #7 The Ghost of a Flea

This stupid:

President First Person Singular and His Radical Cult of Antisocial Admirers : The Other McCain

14 Randall Gross  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 1:53:40pm

re: #12 sattv4u2

Well I just recall it from reading her books. Including the first one.

15 Randall Gross  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 1:55:27pm

re: #11 Kragar

Kind of like Ayn Rand and Ron Paul.

And of course to the GOP's current orginal prophet of wild west capitalism and Galtian individualism, use of "I" is a sign of individualism as opposed to you know, socialism and communism....

[Link: en.wikipedia.org...]

16 stabby  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:01:00pm

Heh, heh, back in the 70's and a little in the 80's people this stupid used hand writing analysis pseudoscience to attack people. Remember that?

17 A Man for all Seasons  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:01:32pm

unfortunately I have given 2 eulogies in my life. I spoke of how they effected me. Stories of us and things we did during life. Yes, they deeply effected me and counting pronouns is deeply disturbing as a political tactic.

18 Amory Blaine  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:02:05pm

Santa and Machine Guns: In Arizona, Christmas Is Here Again

Nothing says Christmas like a family photo with Santa and an AK-47.

Arizona's Scottsdale Gun Club hosts what might be the oddest photo opportunity of the holiday season -- a family picture with jolly Ol' St. Nick and some high-powered firearms: AK-47s, grenade launchers and machine guns.

"People decide to celebrate the holidays in unique ways," said club spokesman Ron Kennedy. "Some choose to do it with Santa at the mall, others in front of their tree. Our members and customers like to do it with 'Santa and Machine Guns.'"

People in this country are diseased. This truly represents their "war on Christmas". Dumbfucks.

19 stabby  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:02:39pm

According to this bullshit Bob Dole is the least egotistical person in the woooorrrrld.

20 stabby  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:03:27pm

Bob Dole!

21 Vicious Babushka  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:03:50pm

Holy crap WTF

22 darthstar  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:04:39pm

re: #19 stabby

You should talk to Bob Dole about Bob Dole. He loves saying Bob Dole.

23 stabby  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:05:04pm

re: #21 Vicious Michigan Union Thug

Holy crap WTF

Well for instance he said he was born.

24 Kronocide  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:05:33pm

What do you expect from the craven d-bags who espouse those who cry racism are the real racists?

I don't think it's stupidity or merely being a moron, though that has a lot to do with it as there is a huge amount of idiocy. This is based in hate. They cannot use the nCLANG any more, so let's focus on the worst possible personal attributes one can ascribe to any action or words no matter how benign: wife is fat/ugly, Obama is narcissist/foreigner/Muslim/socialist/liberal.

It's really really sad and pathetic.

The fiscal cliff memes aren't working, the gun debate isn't really going our way, so let's get the Narcissist in Chief meme fired up again boys.

25 Randall Gross  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:06:07pm

re: #18 Amory Blaine

Santa and Machine Guns: In Arizona, Christmas Is Here Again

Arizona has the second highest rate of gun deaths by state in the country for a reason!
[Link: www.statemaster.com...]

(DC is really a city, not a state)

26 stabby  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:06:33pm

Bob Dole!

27 stabby  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:07:54pm

Timmy!

28 wrenchwench  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:08:56pm

re: #24 Kronocide

I don't think it's stupidity or merely being a moron, though that has a lot to do with it as there is a huge amount of idiocy. This is based in hate. They cannot use the nCLANG any more, so let's focus on the worst possible personal attributes one can ascribe any to action words no matter how benign: wife is fat/ugly, Obama is narcissist/foreigner/Muslim/socialist/liberal.

It's really really sad and pathetic.

How dare the leader of the finest, most exceptional nation in the history of the world, the shining beacon of freedom, the pinnacle of civilization, think highly of himself!!!1!

29 S.D.  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:13:06pm

re: #3 Four More Tears

They need to send Obama a bill for all that space he's renting in their heads.

Thank you, I nearly choked on my drink laughing at that!!!

30 darthstar  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:18:23pm

Our driveway this morning...my dogs supervising me, of course...took me an hour to dig the car out.
Image: 563621_10151298888351382_1150934470_n.jpg

Only took five minutes to do the rest (with the help of a large caterpillar)
Image: 383689_10151329414628024_844375044_n.jpg

31 darthstar  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:18:51pm

Nice little bugs, those caterpillars.

32 sattv4u2  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:18:52pm

re: #30 darthstar

Image: 563621_10151298888351382_1150934470_n.jpg

Only took five minutes to do the rest (with the help of a large caterpillar)
Image: 383689_10151329414628024_844375044_n.jpg

Are those large snow clouds overhead !?!?!

33 stabby  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:20:59pm

re: #31 darthstar

34 darthstar  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:22:03pm

re: #32 sattv4u2

Are those large snow clouds overhead !?!?!

That's our balcony, which now has snow above the railing...and the doors to the balcony open out, of course. So we won't be going onto it until late spring at the earliest...unless I can climb up from the outside with a shovel (or a caterpillar).

35 darthstar  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:24:39pm

Avy at Squaw today...a few people buried but no fatalities. It's sketchy out there. So much weight on a layer of surface hoar (it rained a few weeks ago creating a hard layer, which gets little ice crystals that are not very stable...add three feet of snow on top and you get some big ass slides).

36 Gus  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:24:50pm

They're crazy.

37 sattv4u2  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:26:53pm

re: #35 darthstar

Thats how skiing is in the northeast ALL the time

1st time I went out west, into some actual powder, took me three days to acclimate myself to lean back, not forward and hard onto the edges of the skis

38 Romantic Heretic  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:27:41pm

re: #21 Vicious Michigan Union Thug

Holy crap WTF

He really is the dumbest man on the internet.

39 Charles Johnson  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:29:38pm
40 Romantic Heretic  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:31:05pm

re: #35 darthstar

I just finished reading this article on an avalanche with fatalities in Washington. Sobering.

41 dragonath  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:31:12pm

re: #11 Kragar

Kind of like Ayn Rand and Ron Paul.

Yeah, pretty much. The anti-communism speech that he made in support of Goldwater was filled with so much ad hominem, I had a hard time imagining anyone took him seriously.

The theme was anyone to the left of me is Karl Marx. No wonder Rush loves it.

42 sattv4u2  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:37:25pm

re: #40 Romantic Heretic

Was telling Darth earlier how we used to have to wait till spring- summer to ski Tuckerman Ravine in the White Mts of New Hampshire, after avalanche season

[Link: en.wikipedia.org...]

43 Pawn of the Oppressor  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:48:19pm

re: #23 stabby

Well for instance he said he was born.

No kidding. Everybody knows he was assembled from parts of dead famous Communists and animated with the spells of Ni-Clan'g-toth, Tenth Overlord of the Fire Pits, who's symbol is a five-headed calf, and who demands the blood of white people to sustain his power. Sheez...

44 Eventual Carrion  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 2:57:50pm

re: #43 Pawn of the Oppressor

I was afraid to say it. but that is exactly as I had if figured out too.

45 Sophist is the VillageGreen Preservation Society  Sun, Dec 23, 2012 8:28:23pm

Oh, come on guys, you have to admit they have a point here. Everyone knows that when you are giving a eulogy, it is considered very poor taste to talk about your own relationship to the deceased, or the effect they had upon your life.

46 Bulworth  Wed, Dec 26, 2012 6:52:33am

Really, Weekly Standard, really? Word counting the prez's speeches? You're supposed to be better than this. Your hackery is supposed to be about actual policy stuff.

^ back to top ^

TwitterFacebook

Turn off all ads for a full year by subscribing!
Take advantage of our yearly subscription, and save 50% off the normal subscription price! One-year ad-free subscriptions are just $59.95. Turn off all ads for a full year by subscribing now and save!
Read more...

► LGF Headlines

► Tweeted Articles

► Tweeted Pages

► Top 10 Comments

► Bottom Comments

► Recent Comments

► Tools/Info

► Tag Cloud

► Contact

You must have Javascript enabled to use the contact form.
Your email:

Subject:

Message:

Messages may be published unless you request otherwise.
Tech Note:
Using the Contact Form
LGF Pages

This button leads to the main index of LGF Pages, our user-submitted articles. You can post your own LGF Pages simply by registering a free account with us.

Create a Page

This is the LGF Pages posting bookmarklet. To use it, drag this button to your browser's bookmark bar, and title it 'LGF Pages' (or whatever you like). Then browse to a site you want to post, select some text on the page to use for a quote, click the bookmarklet, and the Pages posting window will appear with the title, text, and any embedded video or audio files already filled in, ready to go.

Last updated: 2015-04-18 5:26 pm PDT

LGF User's Guide
Recent Pages
Rocky-in-Connecticut
GOP Eating Their Own: WaPo Goes After Ted Cruz
Looks like the vetting by the wacko hard right is fully underway. When the often wacky Washington Post thinks you're a fraud you know you are living in full-on crazytown. It's Ted Cruz's time to get the swiftboat treatment from ...

48 minutes ago
Views: 44 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 0
FemNaziBitch
Mark Ruffalo: On Mother’s Abortion and the Libby Anne Bruce Response to ‘I Am Not a Feminist’
Here is Libby Anne Bruce's great statement from July 2013 which Ruffalo publicly supports: "My response to the "I am not a feminist" internet phenomenon.... First of all, it's clear you don't know what feminism is. But I'm not ...

Views: 236 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 1 • Rating: 2
Great White Snark
SpaceX Gains Approval to Enter $70 Billion Military Market - Bloomberg Business
The Falcon 9 rocket of Elon Musk's SpaceX won U.S. Air Force certification for national security space missions, breaking the hold on sensitive satellite launches by a Boeing Co.-Lockheed Martin Corp. venture. Space Exploration Technologies Corp. is expected to ...

Views: 127 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 2 • Rating: 1
Romantic Heretic
R.I.P. Tanith Lee
I learned last night the the great Fantasy/horror author Tanith Lee passed away on Sunday. She was a victim in her later years of the greed that infests the publishing industry. If it wasn't Game Of Thrones, Twilight, or The ...

Views: 189 • Comments: 2
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 2
Shiplord Kirel
John Mosley Dies at 93: Denver Native Was Tuskegee Airman, Sports Pioneer
RIP. The hazards and challenges of combat flying in World War II are almost beyond comprehension today. So were the challenges of being a black man in the 1940s, Now imagine what kind of human being it took to meet ...

Views: 405 • Comments: 2
Tweets: 19 • Rating: 5
Cheechako
Wood Bison Bulls en Route to Newly-Wild Female Herd, as Part of Conservation Effort
Associated Press May 26, 2015 This May 2013 file photo shows wood bison at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center in Portage. A herd of female bison bred at the center were re-introduced into the wild in Alaska's Interior earlier ...

Views: 190 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 3
Paul Mccartney & Dave Grohl ‘I Saw Her Standing There’ @ 02 London 2015
PAUL MCCARTNEY & DAVE GROHL 'I SAW HER STANDING THERE' @ 02 LONDON 2015

Views: 293 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 0
#FergusonFireside
IDignity - Restoring Dignity and Hope by Providing Identification
IDignity is the organization my Brother works for & my Mother volunteers for. It is a model organization, and hoping to expand. Without an ID, you do not exist. idignity.orgfacebook.com IDignity was created to help the disadvantaged in Central Florida ...

Views: 400 • Comments: 1
Tweets: 3 • Rating: 3
jhncsy
How America’s First Female Detective Helped Foil An Assassination Plot
If reading The Bourne Identity and watching Burn Notice has taught me anything, it's that spies need to blend in. Kate Warne was a master at this: The novelty of a female detective in those days meant Warne was able ...

Views: 679 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 19 • Rating: 4
CriticalDragon1177
The Independent - New health minister opposed to abortion urged to reconsider stance
The United States isn't the only western nation where some people want to restrict access to abortion. It sounds like certain British politicians would want to limit when, where, and how a women can get one, assuming they wouldn't like ...

Views: 826 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 6 • Rating: 2
 Frank says:

Yes, Ladies and gentleman, even in this agricultural enviroment, We're gonna' play a love song -- This was about 1974 in Harrisburg Pa. at the Farm Show Arena, a week after the Farm show had left town... Frank never admitted to playing there, and I can't say as I blame him. But, I will never forget what a magical night that was.