TwitterFacebook

Video: The Strange World of America’s Most Prolific Master Art Forger

Mark Landis - Father Philanthropy
Arts • Views: 27,662

After introducing our viewers last week to the wonderfully weird world of master art forger Mark Landis, many of you were left wanting more information on this supremely strange individual. Read more at theavantgardediaries.com

Directed by Terri Timely / Produced by Sophie Harris / Edited by Amanda Larson / Photography Direction by Donavan Sell / Production Coordination by Ayesha Janmohamed / Transcription by Simone Tolmie / With special thanks to John Gapper

1 Mad Prophet Ludwig  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 2:57:27pm

Now this is an interesting alternative thing to discuss. More of this sort of thing please! The tragic and terrifying parade of GOP crazy is necessary to cover, but very well lightened by quirky cool things like this.

2 Sol Berdinowitz  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 2:59:04pm

Art for art’s sake, money for God’s sake…

3 Iwouldprefernotto  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 3:00:54pm

Are these the same guys that forged Obama’s birth certificate?

4 austin_blue  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 3:03:07pm

OT:

The ‘Niners are going to the Super Bowl for the first time in Nineteen years.

5 William Barnett-Lewis  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 3:06:56pm

re: #4 austin_blue

OT:

The ‘Niners are going to the Super Bowl for the first time in Nineteen years.

Now to pull for Baltimore (ugh) for this weeks anyone but Bellichick.

6 Lidane  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 3:18:17pm

re: #4 austin_blue

OT:

The ‘Niners are going to the Super Bowl for the first time in Nineteen years.

Related:

7 TedStriker  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 3:23:02pm

re: #4 austin_blue

OT:

The ‘Niners are going to the Super Bowl for the first time in Nineteen years.

Because the Falcons did what they usually do in the playoffs: choke.

8 HoosierHoops  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 3:28:05pm

What up stranger?
My latest climate change article I’ve read.

9 makeitstop  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 3:28:20pm

God damn it. Another shooting. This time a 15 year old in New Mexico with an assault rifle.

10 HoosierHoops  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 3:28:30pm

re: #8 HoosierHoops

What up stranger?
My latest climate change article I’ve read.

[Link: www.slate.com…]

11 Feline Fearless Leader  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 3:30:34pm

Dear CBS,

IF I wanted to see Jim Rome, I’d watch or listen to his show.

And now you roll out the E*Trade baby making final score predictions? Fire your writers, producers, and directors and try to do some actual sports coverage or analysis. Or better yet, do non-sports programming until much closer to the start of the game.

12 HoosierHoops  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 3:32:17pm

re: #11 Feline Fearless Leader

Dear CBS,

IF I wanted to see Jim Rome, I’d watch or listen to his show.

Ladies and Gentleman..I present you a sports fan.

13 Lidane  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 3:35:26pm

re: #11 Feline Fearless Leader

I met Jim Rome once back in the 90’s when I was working in radio.

He’s just as much of a prick as you think he is.

14 Stanghazi  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 3:40:26pm

re: #13 Lidane

I met Jim Rome once back in the 90’s when I was working in radio.

He’s just as much of a prick as you think he is.

Really? Bummer. I’ve listened to him since 92 when he was on the night time SD show.

bummer.

15 Stanghazi  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 3:41:10pm

I AM SO BUMMED ABOUT THE FALCONS. waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

16 Feline Fearless Leader  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 3:45:48pm

re: #12 HoosierHoops

Ladies and Gentleman..I present you a sports fan.

17 blueraven  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 3:52:49pm

re: #15 Stan the Demanded Plan

I AM SO BUMMED ABOUT THE FALCONS. waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Ditto :(

18 Feline Fearless Leader  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 3:53:33pm

Given these commercials Mercedez-Benz would call this new car the “Christine” if they had any sense of humor.
:p

19 blueraven  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 3:58:36pm

re: #9 makeitstop

Another assault weapon apparently used on this one. Wonder how he got his hands on this gun? I am sure it was legal.

No reason at all to ban these things if one is a law abiding citizen right?
Need I? ///

20 Stanghazi  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 4:04:00pm

re: #19 blueraven

No reason at all to ban these things if one is a law abiding citizen right?
Need I? ///

It is an OBVIOUS problem. I want the GUN people to come up with a plan. And how much I love RWC, I have not read anything that will help.

21 makeitstop  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 4:08:54pm

re: #19 blueraven

A friend on FB said the family had guns in the house, but I’m not sure of the veracity of that. I haven’t seen it reported.

22 b_sharp  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 4:09:39pm

re: #15 Stan the Demanded Plan

I AM SO BUMMED ABOUT THE FALCONS. waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

There is always next year.

(Snicker)

23 makeitstop  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 4:11:34pm

re: #21 makeitstop

Hold up. More details here.

Friends identified the man as Greg Griego, a pastor at Calvary Church in Albuquerque.

Shortly after 1 p.m. police identified the 15-year-old as Nehemiah Griego.

Police believe the teenager used an AR-15 semi automatic rifle in the shooting. Multiple weapons were retrieved from the house.

KOB 4 is told that Nehemiah Griego called someone after the incident, and that person called 911.

KOB 4 is also told Greg Griego served as a spiritual counselor to the Albuquerque Fire Department.

Family member. Guns (presumably legal) in the house.

Your move, NRA.

24 William Barnett-Lewis  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 4:11:35pm

re: #20 Stan the Demanded Plan

There are lots of things that will help. I have written about here several times. Getting them through the house is the real problem and since they were able to gerrymander themselves into safety, flipping the house is not likely either.

The Democratic party should have a dozen small bills underway, each approaching a small part of the puzzle that might be passable by itself, but they seem intent on an all or nothing bill that will get them nothing. They seem to think they’ll be able to use it as a later election issue but in the meantime we gain nothing.

Finally, I’d also point to this article on a speech by former president Clinton: [Link: www.politico.com…]

25 Obdicut  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 4:17:49pm

re: #24 William Barnett-Lewis

When you say something like this, either restate what they are, or link to you saying it before. Otherwise, it doesn’t do much good that you’ve said it before.

26 goddamnedfrank  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 4:22:00pm

re: #24 William Barnett-Lewis

Canada bans by model and length instead of cosmetic feature, seems to be pretty effective. They also have the good sense to leave rimfire rifles alone, don’t even put a magazine capacity restriction on those. The NY law is just ridiculous, reactionary garbage, does nothing about the most problematic, concealable handguns. Right now people are being spoon fed every single incident involving an assault rifle, slathering it up and asking for seconds while not even inquiring about compact handgun statistics.

27 William Barnett-Lewis  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 4:22:20pm

re: #25 Obdicut

[Link: littlegreenfootballs.com…]

28 Stanghazi  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 4:25:23pm

re: #24 William Barnett-Lewis

re: #25 Obdicut

Ya, I go back and read what I can. But bottom line, nothing proposed is lighting my fire as a solution.

Keep typing, find a solution. Get the internet (us) behind it, and I betcha it will be noticed.

Nothing workable so far.

29 Obdicut  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 4:26:13pm

re: #27 William Barnett-Lewis

Thank you. Your proposals seem like a good small start, but surely you don’t think that what you’re proposing there is all that’s necessary, do you?

30 Stanghazi  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 4:31:27pm

re: #27 William Barnett-Lewis

[Link: littlegreenfootballs.com…]

I just re-read it. It is the smart basis for this point forward.

Did I miss the retroactive part?

The killing by guns in our society falls into the retroactive part. What the fuck can be done with the guns in the house?

I seriously propose, like the Down Under, a huge bounty. Turn em in. Get paid. Get them out of your fucking dis functional house.

31 Feline Fearless Leader  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 4:34:40pm

re: #30 Stan the Demanded Plan

I just re-read it. It is the smart basis for this point forward.

Did I miss the retroactive part?

And how long will any budget item to pay for a bounty to buy-back guns last in the GOP House?

32 Stanghazi  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 4:36:09pm

re: #31 Feline Fearless Leader

Maybe it can be free markety. The metal people will make money?

33 blueraven  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 4:36:29pm

re: #24 William Barnett-Lewis

I dont think we (most of us anyway) trivialize the gun culture.
I am all for them being a part of the solution.
I do not know what guns should be categorized as “assault weapons” and I think that is a good place for gun proponents to have real input.

But the other side keeps up the crap that Obama and the “left” want to take away your guns! A zero sum game. That is just not true.

I do not understand how anyone could be against universal background checks or a requirement that gun dealers have to keep track of inventory and make it available to authorities.

34 William Barnett-Lewis  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 4:38:00pm

re: #29 Obdicut

I do tend to prefer to work towards things that might have “a snowball’s chance” of passing.

35 goddamnedfrank  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 4:38:59pm

re: #32 Stan the Demanded Plan

Maybe it can be free markety. The metal people will make money?

Fair market value isn’t the value paid by a recycler. If your plan is to be voluntary then few people will take that offer. If the plan is involuntary then it’s almost certain to be ruled unconstitutional.

36 Obdicut  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 4:42:13pm

re: #34 William Barnett-Lewis

That wasn’t really an answer to my question.

37 William Barnett-Lewis  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 4:44:49pm

And something else to bear in mind is that all those little makers of rifles that would see their sales banned and/or significantly curtailed? ~300 - 500 jobs per company. Will the government find them new work?

38 Stanghazi  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 4:46:38pm

re: #35 goddamnedfrank

well then, we will see idiot 15 year olds using the unusable guns in their house.

39 William Barnett-Lewis  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 4:47:00pm

re: #36 Obdicut

That wasn’t really an answer to my question.

Ask again after the next civil war. That’s the only way we got more for those who demanded an end to slavery.

In the meantime, that’s all that would even _possibly_ pass if the House flips in 2014.

40 wrenchwench  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 4:50:42pm

re: #23 makeitstop

Hold up. More details here.

Family member. Guns (presumably legal) in the house.

Your move, NRA.

What I’ve seen says that multiple weapons were used, and removed from the house, but nothing to say whether the house was where the weapons came from.

Investigators also were trying to determine who owned several guns that were found at the home, one of which was a semi-automatic military-style rifle.

41 makeitstop  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 4:52:37pm

re: #37 William Barnett-Lewis

Why do you think the government should be responsible for that?

42 blueraven  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 4:53:00pm

re: #37 William Barnett-Lewis

In the scheme of things, I dont think that is a huge deal. Of course I hate to see anyone lose a job. But that cant be the standard. It will not tank the economy.

Did opposition to the auto bailout care about the millions of jobs that would be lost. And at a time when we were losing 100s of thousands of jobs a month?

43 goddamnedfrank  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 4:55:57pm

re: #40 wrenchwench

Initial reporting of details in CT were pretty much all wrong in some way. I’m going to wait a day or so.

44 William Barnett-Lewis  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 4:59:30pm

re: #41 makeitstop

Why do you think the government should be responsible for that?

I said bear in mind. I can guarantee that those who screamed loudest against the auto bailout will use every one of those jobs as a stumbling block though so it’s better to be ready before they do so.

45 makeitstop  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 5:02:40pm

re: #40 wrenchwench

Thanks for the clarification.

46 goddamnedfrank  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 5:10:53pm

re: #41 makeitstop

Why do you think the government should be responsible for that?

Well, in comparison to the auto bailout those jobs will not have been jeopardized by management failures or free market abuses. They’ll be lost as a direct result of legislative action, making the government both de facto and de jure responsible.

47 Dancing along the light of day  Sun, Jan 20, 2013 5:48:47pm

re: #1 Mad Prophet Ludwig

Oooh! Hi You!
Weird individual doing these forgeries!

48 Spricio  Mon, Jan 21, 2013 9:31:40pm

This is just bizarre

^ back to top ^

TwitterFacebook

Turn off all ads for a full year by subscribing!
Take advantage of our yearly subscription, and save 50% off the normal subscription price! One-year ad-free subscriptions are just $59.95. Turn off all ads for a full year by subscribing now and save!
Read more...

► LGF Headlines

► Tweeted Articles

► Tweeted Pages

► Top 10 Comments

► Bottom Comments

► Recent Comments

► Tools/Info

► Tag Cloud

► Contact

You must have Javascript enabled to use the contact form.
Your email:

Subject:

Message:

Messages may be published unless you request otherwise.
Tech Note:
Using the Contact Form
LGF Pages

This button leads to the main index of LGF Pages, our user-submitted articles. You can post your own LGF Pages simply by registering a free account with us.

Create a Page

This is the LGF Pages posting bookmarklet. To use it, drag this button to your browser's bookmark bar, and title it 'LGF Pages' (or whatever you like). Then browse to a site you want to post, select some text on the page to use for a quote, click the bookmarklet, and the Pages posting window will appear with the title, text, and any embedded video or audio files already filled in, ready to go.

Last updated: 2015-03-17 11:42 am PDT

LGF User's Guide
Recent Pages
Darfurian Refugees Living in Anchorage Wake to Find Cars Covered in Graffiti, Tires Deflated
Mohammed Hano and Mobarak Albadawi, refugees from a violent conflict in a distant African country who now live in Anchorage, say they woke Sunday morning to find their cars covered in messages telling them to leave the place that ...

4 minutes ago
Views: 6 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 0
Fred72
Are conservatives anti-science?
Are conservatives anti-science? Spoiler: Conservatives aren't anti-science or pro-science. But, they are pro-common-sense. And once more scientists adopt common sense approach to science, they'll find that they have the support of conservative politicians - the people whose job it is ...

Views: 438 • Comments: 17
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 1
EiMitch
Cracked: 8 Things Vietnam War Movies Leave Out (By an Enemy Soldier)
cracked.com Once the fighting started, a lot of people died, well over a million on our side alone. For the war to continue, a constant stream of new fighters had to join up, and they didn't have the benefit of ...

Views: 539 • Comments: 6
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 7
Romantic Heretic
The Lavender Scare
Here is an interesting article on one of Tail Gunner Joe's sick witch hunts that has, unfortunately, been forgotten. I try not to feel schadenfreude of the fate of McCarthy's side kick, Ray Cohn, but I never succeed.

Views: 417 • Comments: 1
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 1
FemNaziBitch
Should Women ‘Man Up’ at the Office, or Does Office Culture Need to ‘Man Down’?
About the Graphic How should a woman try to get ahead in a male-dominated workplace? Perhaps the answer lies less on women "manning up" and more in how businesses value their employees. Many women confront this tension as they ...

Views: 690 • Comments: 1
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 1
William Barnett-Lewis
Orthopraxy Pt 2
If we accept the idea of Orthopraxy over Orthodoxy, then what does evangelism look like? What is the Witness of those who try to follow the Way of Christ Jesus? To evangelize is to spread the good news that we ...

Views: 471 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 4
thecommodore
Eric Alterman: A Wake-Up Call for US Liberals
A short column in The Nation that is a must read. The primary difference between liberalism and conservatism, at least in theory, is that the latter is an ideology and the former isn't. Conservatism, as Milton Friedman argued, posits that ...

Views: 693 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 1 • Rating: 5
Great White Snark
The NSA Has Taken Over the Internet Backbone. We’re Suing to Get It Back.
Blow off Snowden all you like, but what was revealed to be true is still true. The NSA lacks oversight with power. FISA is already too much and now they casually exceed even that generous provision. The world first learned ...

Views: 738 • Comments: 9
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 4
Lumberhead
Lead Prosecutor Apologizes, Admits Mistakes in Glenn Ford Case
This is a powerful admission of culpability and I applaud his courage in making it. It really should be read in its entirety. Glenn Ford should be completely compensated to every extent possible because of the flaws of a system ...

Views: 898 • Comments: 4
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 8
Dark_Falcon
Sarah Vine of the DM gets it wrong on teaching about rape.
Sarah Vine of the DM gets it wrong: SARAH VINE: Teaching 11-year-olds about rape is a form of child abuse The problem with this country, I've come to realise, is that it treats adults like children and children like adults. ...

2 weeks, 3 days ago
Views: 1,434 • Comments: 6
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 9
 Frank says:

You can't be a Real Country unless you have a BEER and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a BEER.