TwitterFacebook

Iowa Republicans Sponsor Bill to Jail Women Who Have Abortions for ‘Murder’ of Zygotes

Absolutely insane
Politics • Views: 25,714

A group of eight Iowa Republican legislators has introduced a bill that defines all abortion as “murder,” sending women and doctors to jail even in cases of rape or incest, and even if the abortion involves nothing more than a single-celled zygote.

Really! That’s what they actually said.

Iowa Republican Rep. Tom Shaw

State Rep. Tom Shaw says that he authored House File 138 to protect human life, whether “you’re a zygote, an infant, a teenager or an adult.”

The bill defines a “person” as “an individual human being, without regard to age of development, from the moment of conception, when a zygote is formed, until natural death.”

“Murder includes killing another person through any means that terminates the life of the other person including but not limited to the use of abortion-inducing drugs,” the measure states without making any exceptions for rape or incest.

Republican state Rep. Rob Bacon, who is co-sponsoring the bill, told the Ames Tribune that he wanted to “protect the life of the unborn” because “[t]here’s still some of us that believe life begins at conception.”

During a Wednesday interview with Denver Bible Church pastor Bob Enyart, Shaw explained that defining a fertilized egg as a “person” in Iowa’s murder statute “just simplifies everything.”

And forget about that “Republican rebranding” smokescreen; Rep. Rob Bacon isn’t having any of it.

Iowa Republican Rep. Rob Bacon

Bacon concedes the bill has no chance of becoming law. The bill was sent to the judiciary committee, of which Wessel-Kroeschell is a member. She said it could make it out of that committee but would never become law.

“It will never be brought up in the Senate, we know that,” Bacon said.

Despite that, Bacon felt it was important to send a message that some Republicans remain committed to ending legal abortions.

Bacon knows there are those that will question backing a lightning rod bill, especially one doomed from the outset. Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal, while speaking at the Republican National Committee meeting two weeks ago, said the GOP has to “stop being the stupid party.” He referenced candidates that “damaged” the party with “bizarre and offensive comments” like Senate candidates Todd Akin in Missouri and Richard Mourdock in Indiana who advocated for banning abortion in the case of rape or incest.

Republicans lost badly nationally in November’s election, and lost ground in the Iowa House.

“I know where Bobby’s at with this. I’ve felt long and hard after the last election that we need to change our message,” Bacon said. “Within our party, we’re going to differ on social issues. One of them is the right to life. There are some who say that we need to ease up on this because it’s not winning us anything. My thought is we can’t let this drop. Even if I’m in here screaming to empty walls, I will always be a voice for the unborn.”

1 Kragar (Antichrist )  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:01:24pm

Next up, round up all the high school boys for committing genocide.

2 erik_t  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:02:54pm

If the woman carries (cough) hundreds of dead zygotes in her uterine lining, will the prosecution be deferred until her next menstruation?

Top legal minds want to know.

3 Jack Burton  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:03:09pm

re: #1 Kragar

Next up, round up all the high school boys for committing genocide.

This isn’t too far behind:

4 Bulworth  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:05:14pm

Gun control could help “protect human life.” You know what else? More safety inspections for our food. That would help “protect human life.” How about workplace protections, like say, mine safety? That would definitely help “protect human life.”

5 Sol Berdinowitz  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:05:23pm

“It will never be brought up in the Senate, we know that,” Bacon said.

They are very big into grandstanding to make political points. To the point of wrecking the US credit rating to make a political point

Karl Rove is trying stop them from nominating unelectable nitwits just to make a political point and the Tea party is out to wreck his career….just to make a political point.

6 allegro  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:05:36pm

Giving women fewer rights than dead people.

7 Kragar (Antichrist )  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:05:57pm

Attention GOP “moderates”,

It is precisely because of assholes like this I left the Republican party and will not vote for any Republican or conservative at any level in any location. I wouldn’t elect a GOPer to be a dog catcher at this point.

8 klys  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:06:40pm

So how do they propose dealing with the fertilized eggs that fail to implant? Are we all just going to have to submit for testing to make sure that there was no accidental murder each month? What about birth control? The main goal of course is to prevent ovulation, but if it fails? Miscarriage? Should I just head down to the courthouse now for sentencing because I have no idea if I’ve ever possibly had a zygote that didn’t make it?

Nuance: it’s hard.

9 Kragar (Antichrist )  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:07:59pm

re: #8 klys

Nuance: it’s hard.

All wombs will be placed in protective custody until the crisis has passed.

10 dragonfire1981  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:08:30pm

Man quits job, refuses to pay taxes after receiving 666 W-2

“If you accept that number, you sell your soul to the devil,”

(Actual quote from man in question)

11 Jack Burton  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:09:04pm

re: #8 klys

Stop trying to confuse the issue with all these pesky facts and sciencey-type garbage. We have BABIES to save from GENOCIDE!!11!

12 kirkspencer  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:09:19pm

re: #8 klys

Nuance: it’s hard.

A consequence of this law is that any miscarriage must be reported and investigated. Another is that medical staff who fail to report miscarriages become subject to investigation for accessory or conspiracy to murder.

It gets ugly real fast.

13 Our Precious Bodily Fluids  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:10:06pm

re: #8 klys

Nuance: it’s hard.

Intrauterine monitored CCTV will be required, obviously. And that will create jawbs.

14 Vicious Babushka  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:10:28pm

Do these morons not understand that banning an abortion for an ectopic pregnancy will kill the fetus along with the mother?

(Never mind, I can totally believe that they do not know this, or care)

15 EPR-radar  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:10:35pm

re: #5 Sol Berdinowitz

“It will never be brought up in the Senate, we know that,” Bacon said.

The GOP has apparently given up on making real arguments on policies.

Thus, grandstanding becomes their only option.

16 leftynyc  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:10:53pm

Is barely concealed anger an appropriate response to this - cuz that’s all I’m feeling.

17 dragonfire1981  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:11:15pm

re: #14 Vicious Babushka

(Never mind, I can totally believe that they do not know this, or care)

Only God decides who lives and who dies

18 HappyWarrior  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:11:26pm

When they say we need to change our message, they mean we need to do a better job bullshitting the American people.

19 EPR-radar  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:12:10pm

re: #14 Vicious Babushka

(Never mind, I can totally believe that they do not know this, or care)

An Ectopic pregnancy is the will of Gawd.

20 Kragar (Antichrist )  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:13:09pm

re: #10 dragonfire1981

Man quits job, refuses to pay taxes after receiving 666 W-2

Go plow a field Jebadiah.

21 Ghost of Tom Joad  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:13:14pm

re: #7 Kragar

Attention GOP “moderates”,

Quoted for truth and dinged. Don’t want to vote democratic, fine, but don’t support them because of some misguided brand loyalty.

22 Kragar (Antichrist )  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:14:11pm

re: #21 Ghost of Tom Joad

At this point, I’ll vote for whoever has the best chance of beating the GOP.

23 RadicalModerate  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:15:55pm

What next for these two jackasses?

Mandatory checks for every woman who has had sex during ovulation, and prosecuting them for manslaughter if the fertilized egg fails to implant?

24 EPR-radar  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:16:25pm

If a bill like this were to become law, all the other ‘wonderful’ features of the society depicted in The Handmaid’s Tale would follow like night follows day.

Even though it has no chance of passing, it is monstrous for an elected official to propose something like this.

25 wrenchwench  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:17:32pm

re: #23 RadicalModerate

What next for these two jackasses?

Every box of Kotex will come with a roll of crime scene tape.

(Apologies for the rerun.)

26 klys  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:17:45pm

re: #7 Kragar

Attention GOP “moderates”,

I can’t say that I’ve ever voted for a Republican (mostly because by the time I was old enough to vote the social conservatives had taken over), but I’d be willing to look and have a serious conversation and think about it if we could straighten out a few things: namely, my body = my rules. The gender of the person someone else wants to marry is none of my business. And please keep myths and history where they belong: in the history classes, not the science classes.

27 Ghost of Tom Joad  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:18:29pm

re: #23 RadicalModerate

What next for these two jackasses?

Background checks prior to and after sex. Easier to be a gun in this country than a woman. Ain’t that some shit?

28 lawhawk  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:19:00pm

A complete and utter lack of knowledge or understanding about the reproductive system and basic science. Why should any of this surprise us when the rest of the GOP platform is anti science (as where you’ve got GOP candidates and elected officials from Jindal on down) pushing creationism and ID over actual science in science classrooms. If they couldn’t care about actual science, why would they care that the details of their proposals would have bad outcomes for women in their state when they’ve shown such a poor understanding of the basic science?

29 jamesfirecat  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:19:28pm

What is this, all abortion Thursday?

30 Jack Burton  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:19:51pm

re: #22 Kragar

At this point, I’ll vote for whoever has the best chance of beating the GOP.

In 2012 I voted for a Democrat for my congressional district for the first time ever, and he won. I did it holding my nose though because I had issues with the man… that said he’s not supporting shit like this so I forced myself to overlook other things.

In 2010 I left it blank and only voted on the ballot props and local offices.

31 RadicalModerate  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:19:52pm

It’s individuals like these two who give ideological cover for groups like the Army of God and people like convicted murderer Scott Roeder - both of whom are actively recruiting more people to their cause.

32 Gus  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:19:59pm

OT

33 Kragar (Antichrist )  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:20:54pm

re: #32 Gus

OT

I haven’t clubbed anyone to death with a game controller in years.

34 jaunte  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:21:26pm

re: #29 jamesfirecat

What is this, all abortion Thursday?

It’s just another “New face of the GOP” day.

35 Feline Fearless Leader  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:22:39pm

re: #14 Vicious Babushka

(Never mind, I can totally believe that they do not know this, or care)

I’m sure they will arrange for appropriate insurance to be available, and possibly subsidized, for the property owner.
:p
/////

36 erik_t  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:23:06pm

re: #32 Gus

OT

@TPM POLL: 67 percent of GOP voters think violent video games represent a bigger safety threat than guns [Link: tpm.ly…]

I’ve heard of bringing a knife to a gun fight. I don’t think I’d ever try to bring a game cartridge to a gun fight.

What are you going to do, make them blow on the contacts until they pass out?

37 Gus  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:23:19pm
38 Gus  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:23:48pm

re: #36 erik_t

What are you going to do, make them blow on the contacts until they pass out?

LAN parties are a mean bunch.

39 HappyWarrior  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:23:58pm

re: #32 Gus

OT

That says a lot.

40 Jack Burton  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:25:01pm

re: #10 dragonfire1981

Man quits job, refuses to pay taxes after receiving 666 W-2

So every time I go to the taco shop down the street and order 5 rolled tacos and a large diet coke and the total comes out to $6.66, I’m selling my soul to Satan? How many times can I sell it? I ask because I’ve done it dozens of times since the combination of price and taxes on that totaled $6.66.

41 Lidane  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:26:18pm

SCIENCE!

42 Kragar (Antichrist )  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:26:34pm

re: #40 Jack Burton

So every time I go to the taco shop down the street and order 5 rolled tacos and a large diet coke and the total comes out to $6.66, I’m selling my soul to Satan? How many times can I sell it? I ask because I’ve done it dozens of times since the combination of price and taxes on that combination totaled $6.66.

YOU THE DEVIL!

43 Kragar (Antichrist )  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:27:39pm

re: #41 Lidane

SCIENCE!

Fucking latitude in relation to the amount of sunlight land receives, how does that work?

44 Jack Burton  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:28:41pm

re: #41 Lidane

SCIENCE!

How do they think anyone would believe that shit. Have they ever been to Southern California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, or Texas?

Fill up every barren wasteland desert not already set aside for something else in those states with solar panels and we could power the whole world like 3 times over.

45 erik_t  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:28:43pm

OT, the claimed Danish abortion stuff downstairs pretty well checks out.

FYI.

46 Decatur Deb  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:29:10pm

re: #40 Jack Burton

The MSM didn’t mention the sulphrous stench emanating from HR.

47 Feline Fearless Leader  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:30:42pm

re: #46 Decatur Deb

The MSM didn’t mention the sulphrous stench emanating from HR.

That’s from too many trips to the taco shop.

48 HappyWarrior  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:35:18pm

[Link: usnews.nbcnews.com…]
Yes, you read that right. Sigh.

49 dragonfire1981  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:35:33pm

re: #32 Gus

OT

Shorter version: We firmly believe that fake guns are far more dangerous and harmful than real ones.

50 dragonfire1981  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:35:57pm

re: #48 HappyWarrior

[Link: usnews.nbcnews.com…]
Yes, you read that right. Sigh.

I saw that earlier. I’d leave my damn Church if they had rules like that.

51 HappyWarrior  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:36:37pm

re: #50 dragonfire1981

I saw that earlier. I’d leave my damn Church if they had rules like that.

Yeah I know right? I mean dayum.

52 Kragar (Antichrist )  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:37:55pm

re: #48 HappyWarrior

[Link: usnews.nbcnews.com…]
Yes, you read that right. Sigh.

He should apologize for being in a church full of assholes.

53 RadicalModerate  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:38:09pm

re: #41 Lidane

SCIENCE!

With the dramatic gains made in the solar industry during the past decade allowing for significantly more efficient panels, I find it incredible that there isn’t a major push to get hundreds of thousands of locations (homes, businesses, etc) on the grid. Having power companies buy back excess energy at market prices - especially in areas like the southern US - would reduce major stress on energy supplies they experience during peak months.

54 HappyWarrior  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:38:32pm

re: #52 Kragar

He should apologize for being in a church full of assholes.

Yeah, that’s what I’d be apologizing for. Seriously, what the fuck man.

55 Bulworth  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:40:25pm

re: #41 Lidane

Cutting edge investigate work there by Faux, I’m sure.

56 erik_t  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:40:30pm

re: #53 RadicalModerate

I’ve been musing some panels. It’d be more attractive if it weren’t for the snow and all of the tall trees.

57 b_sharp  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:40:47pm

re: #50 dragonfire1981

I saw that earlier. I’d leave my damn Church if they had rules like that.

As a kid I was Lutheran.

I’ve dug just about everything out that it put in my brain. All that is left are the stained glass windows.

58 b_sharp  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:41:11pm

re: #52 Kragar

He should apologize for being in a church full of assholes.

Like that’s going to happen.

59 Interesting Times  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:42:25pm

re: #53 RadicalModerate

Because koch brothers that’s why.

60 HappyWarrior  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:42:28pm

It really is stories like this that exampify why I don’t like organized religion. If you want to believe in God, great, but man I do not like organized religion one bit and this story is just another iceberg tip.

61 Ghost of Tom Joad  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:43:39pm

re: #48 HappyWarrior

[Link: usnews.nbcnews.com…]
Yes, you read that right. Sigh.

Nothing like 20 kids and 6 teachers being slaughtered to provide a platform to reinforce your prejudices.

“Muslims participated in praying for those slain?? Well fuck that, we’ll take our prayers somewhere else!”

It must be sad to live in their hateful world. They hate their way out of bed in the morning, and spend the rest of their day hating the world before hating themselves to sleep.

62 b_sharp  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:43:43pm

re: #55 Bulworth

Cutting edge investigate work there by Faux, I’m sure.

The US cowboy has an image abroad that consists of ‘shoot first, investigate later.’ Faux is just preserving that hollow hallowed tradition.

63 Lidane  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:44:42pm

re: #15 EPR-radar

The GOP has apparently given up on making real arguments on policies.

Thus, grandstanding becomes their only option.

Related:

64 Swampwitch  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:45:23pm

Welcome to my hell. Iowa has gone from having a world renowned public education system and being known as the “State of Minds” to this asshattery.
It all began when some of our homegrown politicians realized there was big money to be made as a grifter for Christ.

65 Feline Fearless Leader  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:46:59pm

re: #61 Ghost of Tom Joad

Heck with it being Muslims there. Technically it was simply praying with anyone not a Lutheran of their particular flavor.

66 HappyWarrior  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:47:11pm

re: #61 Ghost of Tom Joad

I know, that’s what I was thinking. You’d think that a tragedy like this and 9/11 where another pastor from the same faith was suspended for participating in an interfaith service would be able bringing people together but no the Lutheran Synods seem to think that being bigoted douchebags is the way to go. Good riddance. I believe this is the church Michelle Bachmann belongs to if I’m not mistaken.

67 Ghost of Tom Joad  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:47:16pm

re: #60 HappyWarrior

It’s nothing more than a scam. A grift. Read your holy book and believe what you want. But if you belong to a church with leadership like that, then you’re not there for the Lord. Just like watching Fox News. You’re there because it helps reinforce your own prejudices.

68 HappyWarrior  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:47:47pm

re: #65 Feline Fearless Leader

Methodists, oh no!

69 Ghost of Tom Joad  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:48:47pm

re: #65 Feline Fearless Leader

You really think they’d make a stink like this if there wasn’t anything to do with Muslims? Eh, difference of opinion on this one, but I’d bet my car that’s what caused this.

70 aagcobb  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:49:36pm

re: #14 Vicious Babushka

(Never mind, I can totally believe that they do not know this, or care)

Whether they live or not will be determined by God’s will, not that of a satanic abortionist!!

71 HappyWarrior  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:50:16pm

re: #69 Ghost of Tom Joad

Probably but remember fundamentalist Christian groups are intolerant towards Catholics, mainline Protestant sects, and Judaism too but I am willing to bet that the Muslim participation is probably what got the biggest fuss.

72 RadicalModerate  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:51:19pm

re: #56 erik_t

If I lived in a house instead of renting, solar panels likely would be one of the first improvements I would make. Return of investment for new installations is around 3 years in this part of the country now.

73 abolitionist  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:51:33pm

re: #43 Kragar

Neglecting cloud cover, daily average insolation is proportional to cosine(latitude) —but only at the equinox times of the year. At other times, it’s more complicated.

74 Kragar (Antichrist )  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:51:35pm

re: #68 HappyWarrior

Methodists, oh no!

I was walking across a bridge one day, and I saw a man standing on the edge, about to jump off.

So I ran over and said “Stop! don’t do it!”

“Why shouldn’t I?” he said.

I said, “Well, there’s so much to live for!”

He said, “Like what?”

I said, “Well…are you religious or atheist?”

He said, “Religious.”

I said, “Me too! Are you christian or buddhist?”

He said, “Christian.”

I said, “Me too! Are you catholic or protestant?”

He said, “Protestant.”

I said, “Me too! Are you episcopalian or baptist?”

He said, “Baptist!” I said,”Wow! Me too! Are you baptist church of god or baptist church of the lord?”

He said, “Baptist church of god!”

I said, “Me too! Are you original baptist church of god, or are you reformed baptist church of god?”

He said,”Reformed Baptist church of god!”

I said, “Me too! Are you reformed baptist church of god, reformation of 1879, or reformed baptist church of god, reformation of 1915?”

He said, “Reformed baptist church of god, reformation of 1915!”

I said, “Die, heretic scum”, and pushed him off.

— Emo Phillips

75 klys  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:52:09pm

re: #72 RadicalModerate

If we weren’t likely to move within the next 2 years I think it would be very high on our list. Instead we’re focusing on bringing some of the wiring up to code instead.

76 HappyWarrior  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:53:06pm

re: #74 Kragar

So I ran over and said “Stop! don’t do it!”

“Why shouldn’t I?” he said.

I said, “Well, there’s so much to live for!”

He said, “Like what?”

I said, “Well…are you religious or atheist?”

He said, “Religious.”

I said, “Me too! Are you christian or buddhist?”

He said, “Christian.”

I said, “Me too! Are you catholic or protestant?”

He said, “Protestant.”

I said, “Me too! Are you episcopalian or baptist?”

He said, “Baptist church of god!”

He said,”Reformed Baptist church of god!”

He said, “Reformed baptist church of god, reformation of 1915!”

I said, “Die, heretic scum”, and pushed him off.

— Emo Phillips

Haha Protestantism is so confusing like that.

77 Feline Fearless Leader  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:53:29pm

re: #69 Ghost of Tom Joad

[Link: en.wikipedia.org…]

Possibly. And the MSNBC article mentioned another of their pastors getting in trouble for taking part in a 9/11-related service.

78 aagcobb  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:53:45pm

re: #40 Jack Burton

The first time damned you for eternity, so you might as well keep on enjoying them as long as you can.//

79 Ghost of Tom Joad  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:54:49pm

re: #74 Kragar

nevermind, beat me to it.

80 aagcobb  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:54:57pm

re: #41 Lidane

SCIENCE!

Not meant to be a factual statement!

81 Ghost of Tom Joad  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:55:25pm

re: #76 HappyWarrior

Haha Protestantism is so confusing like that.

Dammit, lol, I was trying to edit it a bit to shorten it so I didn’t take up too much space. Pfooey!

82 EPR-radar  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:55:59pm

re: #74 Kragar

The idea that getting into heaven or hell may ride on the correctness of one’s theological beliefs about details of the divinity may be the single stupidest idea to have had widespread acceptance in world history.

83 RadicalModerate  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:56:26pm

Good freaking grief. There’s still a whole lot of snippiness going on in the overnight thread.

84 Kragar (Antichrist )  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:56:41pm

re: #81 Ghost of Tom Joad

85 EPR-radar  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:58:15pm

re: #83 RadicalModerate

That will happen when someone tries to pulse the blender on an ‘Islam is bad’ argument in a futile attempt to come up with an acceptable result.

86 b_sharp  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 12:59:03pm

re: #65 Feline Fearless Leader

Wouldn’t want non-Lutheran cooties on their Lutheran prayers.

87 Lidane  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:00:13pm
88 HappyWarrior  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:00:24pm

Heh I remember how the mainline Lutheran student group at my college tried to get new members. They promised beer.

89 jamesfirecat  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:01:05pm

re: #76 HappyWarrior

Haha Protestantism is so confusing like that.

Presbyterian Church: “Presbyterians are identical to Methodists except that one of them says ‘debt’s instead of ‘trespasses’ in the Lord’s prayer. Hundreds of years of bitter armed conflict has failed to resolve this difference. How many more lives must be lost?”

—-Stephen Colbert.

90 HappyWarrior  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:01:15pm

re: #87 Lidane

And I bet he’ll raise a good amount because enough people think the church has gotten a “bad deal.”

91 Gus  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:01:26pm

BREAKING: I have coffee.

92 b_sharp  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:02:08pm

re: #91 Gus

BREAKING: I have coffee.

Oh man, I’m so sorry. Can anything be done, or are you toast?

93 HappyWarrior  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:02:09pm

re: #89 jamesfirecat

—-Stephen Colbert.

Ha don’t get me started over the Catholic versus Protestant argument about the “body” of Christ.

94 Gus  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:02:59pm

re: #92 b_sharp

Oh man, I’m so sorry. Can anything be done, or are you toast?

The coffee has improved my morale.

95 Ghost of Tom Joad  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:03:00pm

re: #87 Lidane

The non-profit Guidance in Giving lists the Los Angeles-area Catholic Church among its “diocesan accounts” and says it is exploring a campaign to raise $200 million for the diocese to meet “a variety of needs,” including “priests’ retirement, seminarian education, Catholic schools, Catholic Charities and parish needs.”these lawsuits from buggering little boys don’t pay for themselves!

96 Kragar (Antichrist )  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:03:07pm

re: #87 Lidane

Fuck their fundraiser. I’m pretty sure the Catholics can get $200 million easily enough.

97 lawhawk  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:03:10pm

Blizzard warnings now in effect for most of NYC metro area (especially LI and CT as well as Eastern Bergen and Hudson counties in NJ).

Expected snow totals for tomorrow’s storm are now pushing 10-14 inches with localized heavier amounts.

All the models are trending towards higher snow totals in NYC metro, and Boston’s already on the hook for predicted near record snows.

98 Ghost of Tom Joad  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:03:26pm

re: #91 Gus

BREAKING: I have coffee.

You know who else drank coffee? Yeah, thought you did.

99 allegro  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:04:03pm

re: #96 Kragar

Tax free with deductions for the donors.

100 EPR-radar  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:04:04pm

re: #61 Ghost of Tom Joad

The pastor did this under orders from on high: (quote from linked article)

Earlier this month, the president of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, Pastor Matthew Harrison, wrote a letter to church members saying he had requested an apology from Morris for his participation in ‘joint worship with other religions’.

Emphasis added. Missouri synod make a big difference here. I went to that article expecting to find that information.

101 Feline Fearless Leader  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:04:10pm

re: #98 Ghost of Tom Joad

You know who else drank coffee? Yeah, thought you did.

I bet Obama drinks *KENYAN* coffee. :p

102 HappyWarrior  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:04:17pm

re: #97 lawhawk

Yeah some of my friends who live near Boston are posting the snow inches expected. When I first saw the numbers, I thought it was degrees and then I realized it was inches in snow.

103 ProBosniaLiberal  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:04:36pm

re: #100 EPR-radar

Have to go out for milk, but can you elaborate?

104 HappyWarrior  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:04:53pm

re: #100 EPR-radar

The pastor did this under orders from on high: (quote from linked article)

Yeah I figured they weren’t mainline Lutherans. As I said, I believe Bachmann is Missouri Synod.

105 allegro  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:05:27pm

re: #102 HappyWarrior

I spent the morning space-bagging my winter bedding and clothes. It’s well into spring here after our 3 day “winter.”

106 abolitionist  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:05:35pm

re: #93 HappyWarrior

xkcd Communion

107 Gus  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:05:40pm

This is what I typically get…

Image: coffee-level-5.jpg

Nice price too.

108 aagcobb  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:05:52pm

re: #102 HappyWarrior

Here in Kentucky, its sunny and 63 degrees. Glorious!

109 Feline Fearless Leader  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:06:02pm

re: #100 EPR-radar

The pastor did this under orders from on high: (quote from linked article)

I put up a link in a comment to the Wikipedia page on the Missouri Synod. Historical group resistant to inclusive policies. Essentially migrated to the US from Germany to maintain that in the 19th century.

110 HappyWarrior  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:06:19pm

re: #103 ProBosniaLiberal

Have to go out for milk, but can you elaborate?

Missouri Synod if I recall right is more fundamentalist. Mainline Lutherans are more closer to the Catholics and Episcopalians. In fact, I believe they had a close debate about whether to allow gay ministers or not.

111 Feline Fearless Leader  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:06:44pm

re: #103 ProBosniaLiberal

Have to go out for milk, but can you elaborate?

Make sure you get a high capacity container before Obama has the USDA ban them.

112 Gus  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:06:49pm

Seattle’s Best Coffee

Dark & Intense

When you walk into a room, everybody notices. You’ve never lost a staring contest. Self-assured and focused, you’ve got what it takes to be a leader in both work and play.

Flavor Profile:

Roasty aroma and rich flavor
Goes Great With:

Dark chocolate and rich treats

The tiger blood of coffee. //

113 HappyWarrior  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:07:07pm

re: #106 abolitionist

xkcd Communion

It always struck me as weird even when I was five that we were supposed to eat the body of Christ.

114 Feline Fearless Leader  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:07:45pm

re: #107 Gus

This is what I typically get…

Image: coffee-level-5.jpg

Nice price too.

Are you required to spill some as a libation to the Coffee Gods every time you make a cup?
;)

115 Kragar (Antichrist )  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:07:48pm

Days since my first and last cup of coffee: 16 years, 3 months, 13 days (appx)

116 makeitstop  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:10:31pm

We enjoy good ol’ Bustelo in the makeitstop household.

117 jamesfirecat  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:10:52pm

re: #93 HappyWarrior

One sides believes they’re cannibal vampires and the other doesn’t last time I checked.

118 Destro  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:11:33pm

Men can continue massacring their spermatozoa at will…………….

119 Kragar (Antichrist )  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:12:13pm

re: #118 Destro

Men can continue massacring their spermatozoa at will…………….

I have become Shiva…

120 Lidane  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:12:38pm

re: #116 makeitstop

We enjoy good ol’ Bustelo in the makeitstop household.

I still haven’t tried Bustelo. Maybe I’ll pick that up next time.

I made the mistake of buying Cafe Caribe recently. I was not impressed.

121 Destro  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:12:46pm

re: #7 Kragar

Attention GOP “moderates”,

If you did elect a Republican as dog catcher, his first order of business would be to try and legislate a way his dog catching authority can be used to ban abortions or deny gays their rights…..

122 kirkspencer  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:14:01pm

re: #121 Destro

Nah, he’d start by wanting to eliminate all the gay dogs…

123 HappyWarrior  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:14:07pm

re: #117 jamesfirecat

Yeah the Catholics believe it actually is the body of Christ and the Prots don’t. When I was going through CCD, I always thought that was weird- the whole actual body and blood of Christ thing. The guilt thing though stays with you even if you can count on your hand how many masses you’ve attended within the past five years.

124 Gus  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:14:38pm
125 makeitstop  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:16:47pm

re: #120 Lidane

I still haven’t tried Bustelo. Maybe I’ll pick that up next time.

I made the mistake of buying Cafe Caribe recently. I was not impressed.

Never tried Caribe.

Bustelo has spoiled me completely. Everything tastes watered down compared to it.

126 b_sharp  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:17:47pm

re: #105 allegro

Shut! Up!

127 erik_t  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:17:50pm

re: #124 Gus

Another version, slightly less spooky. The roundness is the national park boundary, apparently.

128 b_sharp  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:18:28pm

re: #107 Gus

This is what I typically get…

Image: coffee-level-5.jpg

Nice price too.

I like to turn it up to 11.

129 William Barnett-Lewis  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:19:00pm

re: #109 Feline Fearless Leader

Then there’s the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod for those who got tired of how relentlessly liberal LCMS is. No that is not snark. Nasty people, everyone of them that I have met.

130 lawhawk  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:19:11pm

re: #125 makeitstop

I’m a huge fan of the New England coffee dark roasts - especially the French and SF blends.

131 HappyWarrior  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:21:07pm

re: #129 William Barnett-Lewis

Kind of reminds me of those who are convinced that the RCC is too liberal in its current incarnation and want to return to pre-Vatican II nonsense when the church was very outwardly hostile to other faiths and religions.

132 Gus  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:21:38pm

re: #127 erik_t

Yep. Was just looking at it on Google Maps. It’s the park boundary/survey lines. The light green is agricultural land.

133 Gus  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:21:55pm

re: #128 b_sharp

I like to turn it up to 11.

Chock Full of Wingnuts?

134 kirkspencer  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:22:47pm

re: #105 allegro

Yep. Have all the windows open to air out the stuffiness here. If not for all the rain we’d have done it yesterday.

I’m working out what I’ll plant in the garden area next week, and what needs to wait another week or two. I’m afraid it’s too late for lettuce.

136 Charles Johnson  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:33:37pm

OK, I just read the ex-cop’s full manifesto, a complete waste of time, and I discovered that he says he would have voted for JON HUNTSMAN if he had been the Republican nominee.

How does this make him a liberal? He also praises George H. W. Bush and George W. Bush, and quotes the Tea Party’s favorite Jefferson saying about the “tree of liberty.”

Wingnuts are completely full of shit, as usual. He’s obviously got some serious mental issues, end of story.

137 HappyWarrior  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:34:41pm

How does this make him a liberal? He also praises George H. W. Bush and George W. Bush, and quotes the Tea Party’s favorite Jefferson quote about the “tree of liberty.”

No true conservative as always.

138 Mattand  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:34:49pm

Really need to stop engaging/taunting/trying to reason with wingnuts on Twitter.

An elementary school teacher, who believes the government controls our every waking moment, tells me to live in North Korea since I hate the US and capitalism.

God, these people are stupid. And sooner or later, they’re going to get back into control of this country.

139 efuseakay  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:35:48pm

He sounds like a Republican. Of course he has mental issues.

140 Kragar (Antichrist )  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:35:54pm

Huntsman basically a commie pinko, right?

141 HappyWarrior  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:36:52pm

re: #140 Kragar

Huntsman basically a commie pinko, right?

Yeah he doesn’t want to get into a trade war with China like Herman Cain did so yeah total commie.

142 Lidane  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:43:43pm

re: #141 HappyWarrior

Plus he speaks a language that isn’t English, so yeah. Huntsman was clearly a RINO pinko commie and Manchurian Candidate.

////

143 NJDhockeyfan  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:45:30pm

Like I said before, he’s all over the political landscape on there. His biggest beef is with his fellow cops and their families. The cops out there have a huge problem trying to find him with all his military and police training.

144 makeitstop  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:46:27pm

OT: Back in 1967, Walter Cronkite showed us the home office of the 21st Century.

145 Kragar (Antichrist )  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:47:09pm
146 darthstar  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:49:01pm

re: #145 Kragar

wingnut rage incoming:

Brennan: Waterboarding ‘Should Never Have Taken Place’

I’ve been watching for the last hour or so…waiting for John McCain to get up there and rant about Benghazi.

147 Bulworth  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:52:10pm

Well, he looks like a blah person so that must mean he’s a PBO-loving leftist Hitler. And the fact he’s shooting up lots of people must mean he’s a gun control enthusiast. //

148 darthstar  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:52:37pm

re: #146 darthstar

Oh, crap…it’s the intelligence committee…John McCain isn’t on it because he’s not qualified.

149 klys  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:52:49pm

re: #146 darthstar

WATERBOARDING WOULD HAVE PREVENTED BENGHAZI!!!!1

150 Charles Johnson  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:55:04pm

We have another Benghazi outrage today, I see. This time they’re freaking out in unison that President Obama was “absent” the night of the attack.

[Link: www.memeorandum.com…]

This is one of the most demented right wing obsessions I’ve seen yet. Completely devoid of logic or sense. They’re going to eventually try to impeach Obama over it, you can see it coming.

151 aagcobb  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:55:09pm

re: #149 klys

Well, one thing McCain won’t defend is torture.

152 Charles Johnson  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:56:30pm
153 Political Atheist  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:56:58pm

Wow, talk about comments on a news site… Ugh.

On the KTLA site.

Chris Dorner, you have done what I have dreamed about. Remove the savages and their evil genes.
Thank you, Chris.

He understands war, to end the suffering of many… he took it to the family of the cops, now they are all shaking in their boots. Awesome!

Chris Dorner & Chris Kyle are true heros. God bless both of them.

154 allegro  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:57:29pm

OMG, the POTUS is allowed to SLEEP? We’re doooomed…

155 Bulworth  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:57:46pm

re: #148 darthstar

I see that it was Leon Panetta’s turn to get the Benghazi-gate grilling today.

None of this will be resolved until Katheryn Bigelow is dragged before a committee to explain why her movie, Zero Dark 30, didn’t cover the Benghazi attack.

156 Targetpractice  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:57:54pm

Weren’t these the same folks who, in the weeks after, were sure that Obama was watching a live feed of the attacks and letting people die instead of sending in the cavalry?

157 klys  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 1:59:29pm

re: #151 aagcobb

True enough, and neither would I. But logic doesn’t seem to matter much on the Benghazi issue.

158 makeitstop  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:00:03pm

[Link: www.memeorandum.com…]

I thought he was in the Oval Office, watching the attack in real time via drone-cam.

159 Lidane  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:01:01pm

Absolutely deranged. WTF.

160 Bulworth  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:01:15pm

re: #158 makeitstop

I hope none of this means we won’t have a bunch of hearings and media commentary on skeeter-gate. //

161 Our Precious Bodily Fluids  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:01:32pm

re: #154 allegro

OMG, the POTUS is allowed to SLEEP? We’re doooomed…

Haven’t you heard of the

FIVE PILLOWS OF ISLAM??

162 Kragar (Antichrist )  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:01:53pm

The attack lasted until roughly 2am, which is measured in Eastern European Time, which translates to around 5pm EST.

Are they saying that Obama decided to turn in during the middle of the afternoon?

163 Gus  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:02:40pm

re: #153 Political Atheist

Might want to edit that into a quote style. Looks like you wrote that. :O

164 Charles Johnson  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:03:20pm
165 Kragar (Antichrist )  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:03:59pm

HE WAS LAUGHING IN HIS SLEEP!

166 Targetpractice  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:06:00pm

We got to see Angry McCain again today (as if that’s anything new) when first Panetta and then Dempsey declared that the military did everything it possibly could do to send assistance, but nothing was less than hours away.

167 Charles Johnson  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:06:16pm
168 klys  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:06:54pm

re: #166 Targetpractice

You mean the military doesn’t have a teleportation system? Or were they just not willing to admit it in open testimony?

169 Charles Johnson  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:06:54pm
170 darthstar  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:07:07pm

re: #153 Rightwingconspirator

Chris Dorner and Chris Kyle? What about Chris Kringle?

171 Decatur Deb  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:07:15pm

re: #153 Political Atheist

Wow, talk about comments on a news site… Ugh.

On the KTLA site.

Thank you, Chris.

Chris Dorner & Chris Kyle are true heros. God bless both of them.

Are you sarc’ing?

172 makeitstop  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:07:23pm

The left, from Obama on down, need to end harsh rhetoric that demonizes conservatives & contributes to growing propensity toward violence.

Nah, he doesn’t live in a bubble. Nope, not at all.

173 Kragar (Antichrist )  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:08:22pm

I think I just figured out who Jack is.

174 ProBosniaLiberal  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:08:37pm

WHAT!!!

There is so much projection here, he’s an IMAX theatre.

175 Jack Burton  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:09:15pm

176 Targetpractice  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:09:16pm

“Blah blah liberals are mean blah blah they’re creating a hostile environment blah blah we would be friendly if liberals would be friendly.”

Ho-hum.

177 Lidane  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:09:28pm

Image: Jesus_facepalm.jpg

178 EPR-radar  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:09:33pm

re: #174 ProBosniaLiberal

WHAT!!!

There is so much projection here, he’s an IMAX theatre.

A thousand IMAX theaters of projection.

179 Tigger2  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:10:30pm

Idiots like these are going to mess around until one of them are killed by an irate Husband, Boyfriend, Brother or Son of one women they are targeting.

180 Decatur Deb  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:10:48pm

re: #153 Political Atheist

re: #171 Decatur Deb

Are you sarc’ing?

RWC—check your formatting. My screen made it look like some of those were your comments until I scanned the source.

181 Tigger2  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:11:41pm

Gary fuck off, I will not except your projecting.

182 Kragar (Antichrist )  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:11:43pm

Same-Sex Marriage Is a ‘Pernicious Lie of Satan’ that Imperils Society and Humanity

Glenn Stanton of Focus on the Family appeared with John Rabe and Carmen Pate on Truth that Transforms, the flagship radio program of Truth in Action Ministries, to argue that same-sex marriage is an oppressive and satanic ploy. After Rabe asked him why opponents of same-sex marriage sometimes have problems explaining “why redefining [marriage] is deadly,” Stanton claimed that the marriage debate “goes deep into not just our own faith but humanity itself.”

He argued that resistance to same-sex marriage is necessary because “throughout the world if you look at how cultures do marriage, every single culture throughout time has done marriage as a union between men and women, God has given it to us this way.” “Every human culture needs marriage and we redefine it at our own peril,” Stanton said.

Later, Stanton repeated his assertion that homosexuality “is a really pernicious lie of Satan” because it denies “the distinct God imaging in each of us as males and females.” He went on to warn that gay equality leads to the “persecution” of Christians and will “redefine not only marriage but the family itself if not humanity completely.”

Legalizing gay marriage will cast down the barriers, allowing the ice trolls of Jotunheim full access to our world and bring about a new Ice Age!

183 klys  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:13:02pm

re: #182 Kragar

Really? Do we get the Thor/Avengers version of Loki? Because he was kind of hot. In a psychotic sort of way.

184 Our Precious Bodily Fluids  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:13:18pm

The weirdly exaggerated “portrait angle-pose” in Bauer’s avatar photo makes him look like he was caught in the middle of drunkenly falling off his bar stool.

185 Feline Fearless Leader  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:14:18pm

re: #182 Kragar

Will Minnesota notice the difference?

186 EPR-radar  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:15:23pm

re: #184 Our Precious Bodily Fluids

I have a cruder mind. To me, that looks like “Oops, my sex toy has shifted to some place it shouldn’t be.”

187 Kragar (Antichrist )  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:15:33pm

Senate Republicans Don’t Realize The U.S. Military Isn’t A World ’911 Service’

Senate Republicans appear to believe that the U.S. military has the ability to respond to any crisis, at any time, anywhere in the world, as evidenced by frequent questioning during a Senate hearing today why U.S. assets weren’t deployed to stop the Sept. 11, 2012 attack on the U.S. diplomatic missions in Benghazi Libya — despite repeated confirmation from top defense officials that there were none to be deployed in a timely manner.

189 Bulworth  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:16:58pm

re: #182 Kragar

The Right, from Speaker Boehner to the Focus on the Family on down, need to stop demonizing liberals and gays, which leads to hatred and violence.

190 Decatur Deb  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:17:47pm

Wow. there’s something in this ‘sell your soul to Stan’ shit. Woke up to a wife mourning her washing machine in defunctus. Then it got weird. The agitator came apart on the first pull, the stripped parts were obvious, there was an instructional video on YT, the local dealer had the parts for $3.50, I grabbed the right socket wrench on the first try, and I had a generic o-ring to replace a questionable one. Total time 20 min.

I have used up my DIY karma for the year.

191 Gus  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:18:10pm

Hmmm…

Um, What’s That Weird Hunk of Metal We Just Found on Mars? - Megan Garber - the Atlantic

Definitely a UFO of sorts and without a doubt a car that was dumped their by aliens.

192 Kragar (Antichrist )  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:18:22pm

re: #183 klys

I INVOKE RULE 63!

193 kirkspencer  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:18:38pm

re: #190 Decatur Deb

I have used up my DIY karma for the year.

That, or you leveled up without noticing.

194 darthstar  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:19:22pm
195 Kragar (Antichrist )  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:19:25pm

re: #189 Bulworth

But they’re doing that because of Jesus.
///

196 Political Atheist  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:19:40pm

re: #171 Decatur Deb

Are you sarc’ing?

Just calling out some awful comments. I was a bit surprised to see where they were but I guess i’m spoiled by the sane nature of the discourse here.

197 Gus  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:20:31pm

Oy.

Brain freeze.

198 Bulworth  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:20:43pm

Probably because same-sex marriage isn’t deadly…nah, that can’t be it.

199 Decatur Deb  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:21:04pm

re: #196 Political Atheist

Obvious now. Couldn’t tell from the fonts.

200 RadicalModerate  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:21:07pm

Would that be this Gary Bauer?

Gary Bauer: Obama’s Votes Come From Welfare Checks And Voter Fraud

201 Lidane  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:21:08pm

re: #192 Kragar

I INVOKE RULE 63!

With Loki, Rule 63 is canon. ;)

202 dragonfire1981  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:21:42pm

OT, but want to vent:

Awhile back, I posted about my terrible experiences with a large local car dealership that advertises heavily on TV.

Here’s the Cliff notes version:

- Wife and I went to dealership with a few specific makes of car in mind and gave the salesperson our financial info and told him specifically what our maximum was as far as monthly payment goes. Over the course of the week we get a complete lack of transparency with regards to finance matters, a salesperson who is trying to shovel us into all kinds of cars we don’t want (including a gas guzzling SUV, which made me REALLY angry) and when we finally do find a vehicle we like they make us an offer at nearly DOUBLE the monthly payment we said we could afford.

They told us they only found one company willing to provide us financing and the huge payment was our only option. Frustrated we walked out and ended up purchasing from another dealership that was the polar opposite of the first one in terms of customer service.

As if my opinion of this dealership wasn’t already low enough, I’ve been getting mailings from the financial companies (as is customary when a credit inquiry is made) and apparently there were not one but TWO other companies willing to finance us. So for some reason the dealer lied to our face about that.

I will never buy a car from this dealership and have already told everyone I know to stay far away.

203 Political Atheist  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:22:07pm

re: #163 Gus

Might want to edit that into a quote style. Looks like you wrote that. :O

Fixed, thanks

204 Kragar (Antichrist )  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:22:31pm

re: #201 Lidane

With Loki, Rule 63 is canon. ;)

Image: i5aTlcArHu8je.jpg

205 Charles Johnson  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:22:57pm

Here’s the original photo from Curiosity Rover: Image: ZZ680328C3.jpg

It certainly does look metallic. Probably natural, but it really stands out.

206 Kragar (Antichrist )  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:23:35pm

Here’s the original photo from Curiosity Rover: Image: ZZ680328C3.jpg

It certainly does look metallic. Probably natural, but it really stands out.

It can mean only one thing:

HITLER!

207 Charles Johnson  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:24:21pm

It’s small - less than a quarter inch in height. Very curious.

208 NJDhockeyfan  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:24:42pm

re: #191 Gus

It’s obviously Marvin the Martian’s space modulator.

209 Lidane  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:24:55pm

re: #183 klys

Image: Loki.jpg

210 darthstar  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:25:00pm

re: #191 Gus

Looks like a 1971 Hot Wheels Plymouth GTO - aliens must have picked it up at a Shell station when they were refuelling.

Mars pic: Image: 8441455819_2eeba16a1a_c.jpg

Hot Wheels
Image: JLClassicGold1971PontiacGTO.jpg

211 b_sharp  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:25:20pm

Here’s the original photo from Curiosity Rover: Image: ZZ680328C3.jpg

It certainly does look metallic. Probably natural, but it really stands out.

Its the gearshift handle from a 1972 Olds 442 convertible.

212 Gus  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:25:51pm

re: #211 b_sharp

Its the gearshift handle from a 1972 Olds 442 convertible.

Hurst?

213 klys  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:26:01pm

re: #209 Lidane

Image: Loki.jpg

Mmmm, mmmm.

214 Charles Johnson  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:26:04pm

I think it must be a handle for a hatch built into the rock that leads to the secret Martian subterranean civilization. Yeah, that’s what it is. Gotta be.

215 Decatur Deb  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:26:35pm

It’s small - less than a quarter inch in height. Very curious.

Suspect Curiosity got curious about the curious image and satisfied its curiosity.

216 dragonfire1981  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:26:53pm

A socialist subterreanean paradise courtesy of Barack Obama you mean!

217 Feline Fearless Leader  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:27:12pm

Corroded pin on the planetary self-destruct button.

Or, someone didn’t hammer a nail down properly when they were building the backdrop scenery in the sound stage.
;)

218 b_sharp  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:27:44pm

re: #212 Gus

Hurst?

Yup. But im not at liberty to say how I know.

219 Charles Johnson  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:28:10pm

See, the handle has curved gripping surfaces for some kind of appendage. Definitely not for a human hand.

220 Kragar (Antichrist )  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:29:31pm

Can Fox News break its fatal embrace with irrelvance and the Republican party?

Recent headlines about Fox News have given liberals gleeful Schadenfreude: Dick “Landslide” Morris, gone. Ratings the lowest in since 2001. Roger Ailes practicing the kind of pre-emptive paranoia (buying up the domains for bizarre iterations of a biographer’s name) that inevitably accompanies Nixonian delusions of infallibility and hubristic defeat.

To be sure, the departure of Sarah Palin generated a certain degree of wistful nostalgia: she was a bouffanted, bedazzled punching bag as much as she was a folksy aphorism-mangler, as well as a black hole for dropped “g’s” and common sense.

Some observers have taken these events as proof of the ongoing GOP implosion and signals of their devolution from opposition party to regional grandstanders and designated spoilers. This theme has been echoing ever since the channel’s election night coverage unfolded as an action movie-level collision between reality and Karl Rove’s ample and admittedly daunting forehead.

But such prognostications suffer from buying into the logic that has until now been a part of the formula that made Fox such an overwhelming success: Fox = Republican party. The network’s rating grew an astounding 570% from 1999 to 2009.

The marriage between the network and the party has been almost entirely beneficial to both entities. Working together – brazenly, even explicitly so – has been a force multiplier for the GOP brand and message. It’s not really a surprise that as the linked swimmers have started to go against the current of history, their connection puts them both at risk of drowning.

221 darthstar  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:29:32pm
222 darthstar  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:30:39pm

Noone shall wield Excalibur but me!

223 Kragar (Antichrist )  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:33:22pm

re: #222 darthstar

Noone shall wield Excalibur but me!

224 Gus  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:37:32pm

[moonbat]OK you pro-drone people! Don’t get mad when North Korea starts using drones against you![/moonbat]

225 Kragar (Antichrist )  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:39:14pm

I am disappoint.

I really thought Jack had a shot at showing up in the best comments today.

226 Gus  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:41:55pm

Oy. Ron Wyden.

227 Political Atheist  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:49:04pm

I guess the photographers here will appreciate this most. You know how you get to depend on a local store that has been in the neighborhood for years? A favorite little restaurant or shop? Well the camera shop that basically got me started as a pro and helped so much with those early magazine assignments for photography is closing. Place was a pro shop for cinema people from way back.

The cool part is they are digging up all the old gear. Circa 1920’s, 30’s, 40’s cinema equipment. 35mm projectors, Proscop film editing devices, really old lenses and even carbon arc rods for the old old lights. Cameras from the teens!

I am so gonna document the place as it shuts down. Certainly going to do a major shoot and editorial as they close. Camera Craft North Hollywood you will be missed! Nancy we will always remember you, your Dad and his great place. The very address Lana Turner was actually discovered!

228 Decatur Deb  Thu, Feb 7, 2013 2:52:38pm

re: #227 Political Atheist

Very cool. The shrinkage of silver has helped keep me away from photography. Been looking at DSLRs and even finderless systems that will take my old Canon lenses, would really like a hi-MP back for the 4x5. That would require increasing the life insurance on Wife.

229 TedStriker  Fri, Feb 8, 2013 6:19:31pm

re: #129 William Barnett-Lewis

Former Lizard ‘mama winger’ and her son were either Missouri or Wisconsin Synod, IIRC.

^ back to top ^

TwitterFacebook

Turn off all ads for a full year by subscribing!
For about 33 cents a day (per month) or 22 cents a day (per year), our subscription option turns off all advertisements at LGF!
Read more...

► LGF Headlines

► Tweeted Articles

► Tweeted Pages

► Top 10 Comments

► Bottom Comments

► Recent Comments

► Tools/Info

► Tag Cloud

► Contact

You must have Javascript enabled to use the contact form.
Your email:

Subject:

Message:

Messages may be published unless you request otherwise.
Tech Note:
Using the Contact Form
LGF Pages

This button leads to the main index of LGF Pages, our user-submitted articles. You can post your own LGF Pages simply by registering a free account with us.

Create a Page

This is the LGF Pages posting bookmarklet. To use it, drag this button to your browser's bookmark bar, and title it 'LGF Pages' (or whatever you like). Then browse to a site you want to post, select some text on the page to use for a quote, click the bookmarklet, and the Pages posting window will appear with the title, text, and any embedded video or audio files already filled in, ready to go.

Last updated: 2014-03-07 2:19 pm PST

LGF User's Guide
Recent Pages
Randall Gross
Tech Challenge: Cheap Home Health Monitoring Kit and App
This is a challenge I posted three years ago last February, and it's still standing - I didn't think it would last this long, so here it is again. If there's money to be made selling run trackers and sports ...

1 hour, 22 minutes ago
Views: 46 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 0
Hyped Up On Ganja
Lindsay Lohan reveals she’s voting for Mitt Romney because ‘employment is really important’
Asked to expound on her comment, Miss Lohan giggled, and replied "Wingnut Mormons are so $$#@#$ hawt and junk" / But this was not the first time the fledgling political pundit has jumped into the presidential twitter fray. In early ...

1 day, 1 hour ago
Views: 219 • Comments: 0
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 0
Souliren
Natalie MacMaster
Views: 136 • Comments: 1
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 1
The War TARDIS
Doctor Who “Into the Dalek” Open Thread
This episode will echo old Dalek episodes, both with a bit of a twist. Also, Clara will be finding someone, as she seems to be moving from her feelings of the 11th. But, this for talking.

3 days ago
Views: 297 • Comments: 42
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 5
FemNaziBitch
Roger Goodell: ‘I Didn’t Get It Right.’ -NFL TAKES A NEW STANCE DOMESTIC VIOLENCE
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell admits he was wrong on the Ray Rice decision, and Goodell took an important step Thursday towards showing the league is serious about cracking down on domestic violence as well as sexual assault. In a ...

Views: 237 • Comments: 1
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 3
sagehen
Doctor Who Spoiler Thread
For those who want to post immediately... live... without having to hide spoilers behind the button.

Views: 709 • Comments: 99
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 6
EiMitch
Escapist: Maniac Cop
escapistmagazine.com Link broken? The gist is that this is an impressively sarcastic review of an old slasher flick based on the "unrealistic" premise of a cop abusing his power to murder people.

Views: 532 • Comments: 1
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 1
Rightwingconspirator
A Lizard’s Regenerating Tail
Don't ya hate it when that happens? You feel so short for a month. Anoles are curious little lizards capable of ditching their tails when they feel threatened. This self-amputation, called autotomy, takes about 25 days for the tail to ...

Views: 538 • Comments: 1
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 5
CriticalDragon1177
Io9 - Everything You Need To Know About Lemuria, The Lost Continent Of Lemurs
Esther Inglis-Arkell talks about the weirdest lost continent myth, I've ever heard. Its the only one I know of that ever included giant telepathic lemurs. No seriously! In 1858 a young zoologist, playing around with an idea, came up with ...

Views: 742 • Comments: 4
Tweets: 0 • Rating: 7
 Frank says:

All right, Zubin, hit it! -- Frank's onstage cue to conductor Zubin Mehta during their collaborative effort with the L.A. Philharmonic orchestra in 1970