1 Walking Spanish Down the Hall  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 2:41:44pm

Watch the dogs and handlers in the background. The dogs have no idea what is expected of them and the handlers are clueless.

2 Charles Johnson  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 2:42:20pm

The effigy is the South Korean defense minister, apparently.

3 Walking Spanish Down the Hall  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 2:43:00pm

Watch when the dogs tackle the dummy, they sniff around for a moment looking for reward treats before starting to chew on the head.

4 Sol Berdinowitz  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 2:43:18pm

You know that those dogs eat better than most North Korean citizens…

5 Kragar  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 2:44:04pm

Yeah, that guy at the :55 mark takes the cake.

“Let me point this gun right at you with my finger on the trigger while I jerk it around.”

6 Walking Spanish Down the Hall  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 2:46:08pm

Anybody worried about being attacked by those dogs, just put a wiener in your pocket and throw it when they come toward you. The fight between the handler and the dog over the food should be quite a spectacle.

7 Sol Berdinowitz  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 2:47:07pm

re: #6 Walking Spanish Down the Hall

And I thought you were just glad to see mee…

8 First As Tragedy, Then As Farce  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 2:47:28pm

If I had ever handled a pistol that way in front of my dad, he would have yelled things at me that Lee Ermy can’t even imagine, and that would have been the permanent end of my shooting career.

Are these supposed to be professional soldiers?

9 Kragar  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 2:48:11pm

Who was their firearms instructor, Ted Nugent?

10 Sol Berdinowitz  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 2:49:06pm

re: #9 Kragar

Who was their firearms instructor, Ted Nugent?

Dog Bite Chills!

11 Charles Johnson  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 2:49:13pm

re: #9 Kragar

Who was their firearms instructor, Ted Nugent?

He’s a raving kook, but even the Nuge is better than that.

12 Tigger2  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 2:51:36pm

re: #5 Kragar

Yeah, that guy at the :55 mark takes the cake.

Responsible gun owner. lol

13 Kragar  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 2:53:07pm

“Only 3 journalists shot during the filming of this segment.”

14 First As Tragedy, Then As Farce  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 2:55:02pm

re: #5 Kragar

Yeah, that guy at the :55 mark takes the cake.

Come to think about it, that’s pretty much North Korean policy on international relations.

15 Kragar  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 2:58:04pm

I’m convinced this is nothing more than a viral media attempt to get America ready for a remake of the Doberman Gang, only instead of robbing a bank, they’re going to be used as international assassins.

16 Vicious Babushka  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 3:06:41pm

I’m waiting for the subtitles, like all the Hitler “Downfall” clips.

It would also help if someone could edit the video so that the posters being shot at and dog sicced are of people that we actually recognize.

17 calochortus  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 3:10:20pm

re: #5 Kragar

Yeah, that guy at the :55 mark takes the cake.

Probably my favorite part. I would have liked to have a camera on the interviewer to see how he or she felt about it.

18 Awea  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 3:12:35pm

Was expecting to see funded by the NRA in the credits at the end.

19 Walking Spanish Down the Hall  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 3:13:43pm

re: #17 calochortus

The gun wasn’t dangerous, it was loaded with wieners.

20 Tigger2005  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 3:13:52pm

I’m surprised that reporter is still alive. I thought the guy waving the pistol around was going to be the death of him/her.

21 calochortus  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 3:15:17pm

re: #19 Walking Spanish Down the Hall

Well, that’s a relief.

They just showed part of that video on The Newshour, but inexplicably left out the guy gesturing with his gun for emphasis.

22 sattv4u2  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 3:16:11pm

Dear Kim Jong Un

Image: fuck-you-humans.jpg

23 Tigger2005  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 3:17:20pm

This is one warped and f’d up country. Very sad. Even Vietnam is not such a mess. I wonder if it would be different if we’d stayed there, reached a cease-fire with the Viet Cong and prevented the North Vietnamese invasion of the South.

24 Walking Spanish Down the Hall  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 3:18:06pm

WTF.
It’s snowing again.
And here I just asked some of my clients to stop with the snow dance.

25 sattv4u2  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 3:22:57pm

I wonder if making the dogs jump through the fire if the soldiers aren’t secretly hoping they cook!!!!
// (kindasorta)

26 freetoken  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 3:23:11pm

I like the almost stop-animation quality of the running dogs and soldiers. Makes it so real.

27 sattv4u2  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 3:25:32pm

re: #26 freetoken

Claymation meets Flip Books

28 calochortus  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 3:26:46pm

So, they’re going to put everyone on a couple buses and ship them south to conquer S. Korea? I don’t quite grasp where this is going.

29 sattv4u2  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 3:27:55pm

re: #28 calochortus

After having Dennis Rodman as a “visiting dignitary”, the only way is up!!

30 sattv4u2  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 3:28:30pm

re: #28 calochortus

re: #29 sattv4u2

After having Dennis Rodman as a “visiting dignitary”, the only way is up!!

Maybe they’re angling for Cesar Milan next!

31 Walking Spanish Down the Hall  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 3:28:47pm

Well the wife should be out in a minute. I better come up with a good excuse why I didn’t cook anything for supper.

32 Vicious Babushka  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 3:29:36pm

re: #31 Walking Spanish Down the Hall

Here’s one: “I made reservations!”

33 sattv4u2  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 3:29:46pm

re: #31 Walking Spanish Down the Hall

Show her the above video and tell her you were dog proofing the house, just in case!

34 Walking Spanish Down the Hall  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 3:30:51pm

re: #32 Vicious Babushka

Here’s one: “I made reservations!”

I wish, but I am way too broke right now.

35 sattv4u2  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 3:31:49pm

re: #34 Walking Spanish Down the Hall

I wish, but I am way too broke right now.

Take her to that inexpensive Scottish restaurant. Mac Donalds

36 calochortus  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 3:32:00pm

re: #34 Walking Spanish Down the Hall

I wish, but I am way too broke right now.

What’s in the freezer?

37 sattv4u2  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 3:32:22pm

re: #36 calochortus

What’s in the freezer?

a human head

shhhhhhh!!!!

38 calochortus  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 3:34:10pm

re: #37 sattv4u2

Not good for dinner. Keep looking….

39 sattv4u2  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 3:34:45pm

re: #38 calochortus

Not good for dinner. Keep looking….

Depends on the sauce,, and the side dishes!!

40 Jolo5309  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 3:35:33pm

re: #38 calochortus

Not good for dinner. Keep looking….

Head cheese

41 calochortus  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 3:36:04pm

re: #39 sattv4u2

Depends on the sauce,, and the side dishes!!

Probably take to long to prepare at this point. He needs something fairly quickly.

42 Glenn Beck's Grand Unifying Theory of Obdicut  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 3:36:47pm

So… dogs can run fast? Is that the takeaway?

43 sattv4u2  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 3:37:39pm

re: #41 calochortus

Nahhh

Just put it on the plate as is and crack it open like a coconut!! (or a Pinata and call it Spanish Night !!!)

44 Mattand  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 3:40:02pm

My first reaction was “Poor dogs”, but then I remembered most of the dogs have it better than the average North Korean.

My second reaction was wondering if the sergant waving the pistol at the reporter was trying reenact the accidental shooting in the car from Pulp Fiction.

Wow. That is one messed up country.

45 Bear  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 3:40:43pm

Re: The NK video.
Some time ago we would call something like this “A Chinese Fire Drill”. Now guess it should be called a “North Korean Fire Drill”.

Could also be a way to decrease their population if this is standard firearm practice there.

46 BongCrodny  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 3:42:45pm

Some of the YouTube comments to that video are awesome:

“If they can put German Shepherds on ICBMs, we are fucked.”

“Dogs? How did we allow them to gain this capability? What are we going to do if they get horses?”

“As long as there are no walls higher than 2 feet tall, those dogs are UNSTOPPABLE. Or, if you have kibble for them.”

“Damn, look how those those dogs are not afraid of very, very small amounts of fire.”

47 jaunte  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 3:44:33pm

re: #46 BongCrodny

“Look at them run through a tunnel/cage just slightly taller than they are!”

48 What's in the box, Jokey?!  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 3:44:44pm

re: #43 sattv4u2

Anyone else have that moment when watching the clip when you simply can’t tell if its genuine or a parody of some sort?

Sad and messed up folks indeed…

Nahhh

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnd there goes my appetite, thanks for that (then again, tonight’s salad night, so not sure if that should be sarcastic)… :)

49 sattv4u2  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 3:46:11pm

re: #48 What’s in the box, Jokey?!

then again, tonight’s salad night, so not sure if that should be sarcastic

Made with a HEAD of lettuce? Have an EAR of corn on the side!

50 freetoken  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 3:48:17pm

re: #48 What’s in the box, Jokey?!

Well, this is not parody:

Britain debates: Is it OK to celebrate the death of Margaret Thatcher?

51 What's in the box, Jokey?!  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 3:49:35pm

Anyone else think that there’s a good chance that there’s a bit cut out where one of the jumping dogs lands on/pounces the cameraman filming from below?

52 sattv4u2  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 3:51:51pm

Ah well

Van is here to take us to the Georgia Dome for the NCAA Mens championship game. Gonna be a looooonnnggggg night

Off tomorrow (or what;s left of it by the time I get home after breaking down the broadcast equipment after the game tonight) then off to Augusta Wednesday for the start of The Masters !!!

BENEFIT,,, GREAT food served to us at both events
NEGATIVE ,,, can’t have an adult beverage at either!!!!

53 Walking Spanish Down the Hall  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 3:54:39pm

re: #35 sattv4u2

Take her to that inexpensive Scottish restaurant. Mac Donalds

She hates that particular Scottish restaurant.

54 Walking Spanish Down the Hall  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 3:56:21pm

re: #41 calochortus

I lucked out.
She and her coworkers went to a fancy restaurant at lunch because one of them got a new job and is leaving. She says she’s not hungry.

55 darthstar  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 4:00:35pm

Love the gun safety at :50

56 William Barnett-Lewis  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 4:01:18pm

re: #23 Tigger2005

Eh? The SRV is doing quite well these days. I was deeply impressed by what I saw in 2002 & I’ve kept up on the nation since the adoption as a result. Not perfect but far better than any other communist country I’ve seen. Plenty of food, a decent health system & a good education system gets them a long way.

57 BongCrodny  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 4:02:17pm

“Look at them run through a tunnel/cage just slightly taller than they are!”

My favorite comment may have been this one:

“북한 주민들은 굶어 죽는데 개들한테 먹일 밥은 있나 보네요. 진짜 유치해서 웃음만 나옵니다.”

Which, according to Google Translate, means:

“Sounds like your North Koreans starved to death with dying dogs I feed rice. Real will attract and laughter.”

It’s probably not an exact translation.

58 William Barnett-Lewis  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 4:04:21pm

re: #50 freetoken

Well, this is not parody:

Britain debates: Is it OK to celebrate the death of Margaret Thatcher?

I’ve heard reports of street parties breaking out throughout northern & western parts of Great Britain. Apparently a certain song from the Wizard of Oz is quite popular; I’m sure you can guess which one.

59 Amory Blaine  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 4:05:36pm

I heard an interview on NPR today of people who recently returned from North Korea and they say nothing unusual is going on.

Inside North Korea, No Obvious Signs Of Crisis

North Korea’s recent campaign of bluster and escalation seems to be , but visitors to the reclusive country say there are few signs the capital is anywhere near a war footing.

International TV broadcasters have been repeatedly showing tanks trundling through Pyongyang’s Kim Il Sung Square in a demonstration of North Korean national power.

But when Patrick Thornquist, a Chicago teacher visiting the North Korean capital at the end of last week, arrived in the square, he was surprised by what he saw. This iconic square — Pyongyang’s political, military and symbolic heart — was full of children rollerblading and shouting with joy.

60 AlexRogan  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 4:06:45pm

re: #53 Walking Spanish Down the Hall

She hates that particular Scottish restaurant.

How about McDowell’s?

/they have the Golden Arcs…

61 #CPAC: I Have A Short Mingle Stick.THANKS OBAMA.  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 4:06:45pm

Well anyone who has worries about North Korea being a ground military threat can relax now.

62 freetoken  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 4:10:34pm

Bobby Jindal, the once and future savior of the GOP, went with his silly idea:

[…]

Indeed I envision a new Louisiana where one day the governor of Texas is giving the state of the state complaining about the sons and daughters moving from Houston and Dallas to Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Shreveport, Lafayette and other communities in our state. And we can do that.

And that is one of the reasons that we’ve proposed a bold plan this year. It’s one of the reasons we’ve said our top priority this year is not just to stay still, but to get rid of income taxes in the state of Louisiana.

Now for too many years we’ve talked about competing with Texas and Florida. And I know everyone one of us knows family and friends that have gone to that state - maybe after they’re sold their business, maybe after they’ve retired to go to Florida, maybe when they’re coming out of school they go to Texas.

We’ve have talked about catching up with those states but it is time to do more than talk. The reality is it is time for us to be bold and get rid of these income taxes. Look at what’s going on in our tax code today.

[…]

Now, the silliness comes up next, but I think it is notable here that Jindal is selling the idea of getting rid of income taxes based on, well, Texas does it.

And now we come to the double back-flip while jumping through a burning hoop (just to make this on topic):

It is time to get rid of those income taxes. Look at what’s happening in states without those income taxes. In the last ten years, nine states were responsible for 60 percent of all jobs created in America. Those were the nine states without an income tax.

Over the last ten years, those nine states without an income tax saw their populations grow 60 percent faster than the national average. That is what we want for Louisiana. We want more economic growth. We want more population growth. We want our sons and daughters to stay here. We want others to come here and recognize Louisiana as a land of opportunity.

[…]

See what he did there?

Correlation with causation.

Somehow, the growth in jobs came because of no income tax. And then the population boom. Ergo, LA should drop the income tax, promotes Jindal.

This is of course backwards. Though popular thought sometimes tries to enshrine the idea that people follow jobs, the truth is otherwise. People do follow money, though migrations also happen because people want to get away from somewhere. People also follow fantasies and wild ideas.

Some states certainly have grown more than others, and as a result these growing states have accounted for the majority of “new” jobs.

The migration to the “sun belt” occurred because of many reasons.

What Jindal also leaves out is that some of these states without income taxes are going to have to deal the next few years with some difficult problems related to a growing and aging population - Texas being an example. The pretense that people in those states don’t pay taxes is silly, as sales and property taxes are non-trivial. That states like Texas and Alaska have depended upon taxes form the extraction of natural resources is another thing Jindal overlooks.

Jindal tries to sound like a populist:

Let’s put this another way. You go back to 2011, we actually paid out more than we collected in corporate income taxes. We paid out $76 million more than we collected. That same year we collected about $2,600 on average from a family of four in Louisiana.

So I want you to think about that. We took taxpayer dollars from hardworking families and then turned around and gave that to companies does business in our state. If you’ve got a lawyer or a lobbyist today, you’ve got a loophole.

[cont]

63 Shiplord Kirel  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 4:13:44pm

I think Kim is yet again just making noise in an attempt to shake down the world for some more food.
At this point, the NorK regime reminds me of one of those amateur comedians who perform for tips.

Hagel: “Wow, did you see that dog video?”
Obama: “Yeah, pretty funny. Toss ‘em a planeload of Spam, with a case or two of Beggin’ Strips thrown in.”

64 freetoken  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 4:19:15pm

[continuing]

There is some real mathematical strangeness going on here. His ” … on average from a family…” is one of them. I wonder what the median income tax paid from a family of four would be?

Remember the infamous “47%”. Well, truth is LA has plenty of poor families and the median household income in LA is $44k:
quickfacts.census.gov
and the portion of the population below poverty is 18%.

Anyway, if Jindal gets his way the people of LA will have fewer services, their sales or property taxes, or both, will go up, taxes on corporations will not go up meaningfully because the companies will lobby successfully based around the threat of lost jobs, etc.

When are these Americans going to stop buying the spiel that civilization doesn’t cost?

65 Kragar  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 4:19:45pm

Making some of my Sausage Bean Soup.

66 Kragar  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 4:21:45pm

Brad Paisley: ‘Accidental Racist’ song about hardships of showing ‘Southern pride’

Country singer Brad Paisley explained to Entertainment Weekly that his new “Accidental Racist” song illustrated the difficulties of displaying his “Southern pride.”

“I just think art has a responsibility to lead the way, and I don’t know the answers, but I feel like asking the question is the first step, and we’re asking the question in a big way. How do I show my Southern pride? What is offensive to you?” Paisley said.

The country star performed the song with rapper LL Cool J to let “bygones be bygones” in regards to the South’s history of brutal racism, he explained. Paisley said he was “with my audience 100 percent in the Southern pride thing,” which he equated to LL Cool J’s devotion to the New York Yankees. He described the song as an attempt to “reconcile” white and black Americans.

In the song, Paisley laments that his Confederate flag t-shirt is only intended to show he is a “Skynyrd fan” and that the nation is still “fightin’ over yesterday.” He says he feels “caught between southern pride and southern blame.”

I seem to be missing the part where they have something to be proud about.

67 Walking Spanish Down the Hall  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 4:21:51pm

re: #63 Shiplord Kirel

Hagel: “Wow, did you see that dog video?”

“The Mouse that Roared.”

68 freetoken  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 4:23:21pm

From this site:
tax-brackets.org

doing a quick estimate of the median household income (from the census), married filing jointly with 2 dependents, one would pay about $820 in LA state income tax.

That’s a far cry from the $2600 mentioned by Jindal.

69 Vicious Babushka  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 4:25:18pm

re: #66 Kragar

I seem to be missing the part where they have something to be proud about.

LL Cool J WTF????

70 Amory Blaine  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 4:25:59pm

re: #62 freetoken

Jindal tries to sound like a populist:

Ha ha. As if that isn’t a feature of LA tax rules.

71 Walking Spanish Down the Hall  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 4:27:44pm

re: #66 Kragar

I seem to be missing the part where they have something to be proud about.

Thank the noodley one it wasn’t the “Occidental Racist”.

72 goddamnedfrank  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 4:29:27pm

re: #63 Shiplord Kirel

Could be, though it’s a fucked up way to go about it. I remember when Jong Il passed, their big giveaway to the people was rotten fish. Thing is though, where do they go if the gambit doesn’t work? China and Russia look to be less and less inclined towards bailing them out again, and they’ve burned damned near every bridge they had with SK and the West. Officially scrapping the armistice isn’t a situation they can exactly crawl back from, they own that now. They’ve made it virtually impossible for anybody to willingly negotiate with them ever again.

73 engineer cat  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 4:33:38pm

re: #65 Kragar

Making some of my Sausage Bean Soup.

what does a sausage bean look like?

74 freetoken  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 4:33:44pm

Here is one of the biggest barking dogs (just to keep on topic…) in Jindal’s speech:

[…]

They’re not getting on a bus or a plane the day after the holidays. We don’t just see them once or twice a year. Yes, we’ve made great progress. Our sons and daughters are beginning to come back.

But we can’t afford to become complacent. We can’t afford to stop pushing forward. That is why it’s so important to get rid of those income taxes. Let’s bring our children home.

Earlier in the speech he lamented losing people moving out of state.

Well… let’s look at a population graph of Louisiana, shall we?

google.com

Looks fairly stead, with a very small growth. Except for that big decline in late 2005. Taxes? Oh….. that.

The entire speech by Jindal is a sham.

He lauds his education reform… you know, the one that hands out state money to private schools that can teach who knows what religious lunacy.

Jindal is doing double-speak with the best accomplished of politicians. Plus, I suspect he is enough of a magical thinker himself to believe some of the malarky.

75 goddamnedfrank  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 4:36:42pm

re: #66 Kragar

I seem to be missing the part where they have something to be proud about.

BBQ, Bourbon and the Blues.

76 freetoken  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 4:38:26pm

Jindal’s speech had nothing about Katrina, hurricanes, and the like.

Nor did it mention the petrochemical industry, arguably the most important industry in the state, both for income flow as well as costs (health.)

Jindals entire focus of the speech opening the LA legislature was about lowering taxes on his rich friends (and donors.)

This is the new and improved, re-messaged, GOP.

77 Skip Intro  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 4:42:41pm

Sorry to do a threadjack, but can someone tell me why all of the Comedy Central videos on the main page start playing every time I refresh the page? Better yet, how do I make it stop?

78 Targetpractice  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 4:42:46pm

re: #76 freetoken

Jindal’s speech had nothing about Katrina, hurricanes, and the like.

This is the new and improved, re-messaged, GOP.

Priebus was asked the same week that the “autopsy” was released whether the GOP’s “rebranding” would extend to economic policies. His response, in so many words, was that the GOP believes they “won” on those, that the voters agree with them, and they see no reason to change.

So yeah, the “rebranding” amounts to changing the packaging of the shit sandwich they’re trying to sell to voters.

79 engineer cat  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 4:45:27pm

“My policies are based not on some economics theory, but on things I and millions like me were brought up with: an honest day’s work for an honest day’s pay; live within your means; put by a nest egg for a rainy day; pay your bills on time; support the police.”

- margaret thatcher

it’s when you fall over the difficulty of getting an honest day’s pay for an honest day’s work that these penny lane pieties ring hollow

80 freetoken  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 4:47:25pm

Just as wrong as Jindal and NK military training:

‘Fruit-juice-infused chocolate’ less fat

What all of them have in common - they’re marketing gimmicks instead of the real thing.

81 Glenn Beck's Grand Unifying Theory of Obdicut  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 4:50:05pm

re: #72 goddamnedfrank

The leader of some South American country, I forget which, shortly after the wars of independence down there basically got 80% of the young men of the country killed in further, pointless, stupid wars.

We could see this again. It is possible that North Korea’s propagandized citizens would actually believe they were in existential danger and ‘defend’ their country by attacking, and force the world to deal with that attack. And laughable as their military is, it’s hard to, y’know, capture rather than kill on the battlefield if they don’t surrender.

82 Glenn Beck's Grand Unifying Theory of Obdicut  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 4:51:08pm

Also: I think it’s far more likely that North Korea would lob a nuke at some point than that Iran would, or that Saddam would have. So a nice reminder that all that WMD OMG nonsense about Iraq was going on basically at the same time that North Korea was going nuclear.

83 engineer cat  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 4:51:27pm

re: #77 Skip Intro

word got out that you are a sane person and somebody is trying to fix that

84 Bear  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 4:51:52pm

re: #65 Kragar

Neighbor just brought over a big bowl of Navy Beam soup. Yum-yum!

85 engineer cat  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 4:53:26pm

re: #84 Bear

Neighbor just brought over a big bowl of Navy Beam soup. Yum-yum!

but you have to take the mote out of your own eye before you eat it

86 Skip Intro  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 4:53:43pm

re: #83 engineer cat

word got out that you are a sane person and somebody is trying to fix that

Having three Jon Stewart rants going at the same time will do it. I’ve got the speakers muted now, but it scared the poor dog the first time it happened.

87 Bear  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 4:58:42pm

re: #85 engineer cat

Need glasses. However I flunked spelling in school.

88 engineer cat  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:01:14pm

re: #87 Bear

Need glasses. However I flunked spelling in school.

don’t mind me - i’m just bored…

89 freetoken  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:06:01pm

I’m surprised no one has commented on the biggest science news of the day:

Penis evolution: Is bigger really better?

Brace yourselves, gentlemen: Not only does size matter when it comes to penis length, but female preference for large genitalia is probably what drove the evolution of your manhood to begin with.

In a study published Monday in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, researchers concluded that penis length was just as important as height when it came to sexual attraction among women.

[…]

It’s not a new hypothesis, so I don’t know why writers are acting like this is new news or something…

Anyway, here is the PNAS article:

Penis size interacts with body shape and height to influence male attractiveness

Compelling evidence from many animal taxa indicates that male genitalia are often under postcopulatory sexual selection for characteristics that increase a male’s relative fertilization success. There could, however, also be direct precopulatory female mate choice based on male genital traits. Before clothing, the nonretractable human penis would have been conspicuous to potential mates. This observation has generated suggestions that human penis size partly evolved because of female choice. Here we show, based upon female assessment of digitally projected life-size, computer-generated images, that penis size interacts with body shape and height to determine male sexual attractiveness. Positive linear selection was detected for penis size, but the marginal increase in attractiveness eventually declined with greater penis size (i.e., quadratic selection). Penis size had a stronger effect on attractiveness in taller men than in shorter men. There was a similar increase in the positive effect of penis size on attractiveness with a more masculine body shape (i.e., greater shoulder-to-hip ratio). Surprisingly, larger penis size and greater height had almost equivalent positive effects on male attractiveness. Our results support the hypothesis that female mate choice could have driven the evolution of larger penises in humans. More broadly, our results show that precopulatory sexual selection can play a role in the evolution of genital traits.

The National Geographic story:

[…]

Although body shape was the most important factor in whether or not women rated a male shape as attractive or not, penis size also significantly influenced attraction.

However, the relationship wasn’t necessarily linear—i.e., “as you get a larger and larger penis, it doesn’t necessarily mean you’re getting more and more attractive,” Mautz noted. (Read about the barnacle, which has the longest penis relative to body size in the animal kingdom.)

For example, the rate at which women rated the men as attractive fell when flaccid penises were longer than 2.99 inches (7.6 centimeters).

What’s more, height was also a factor: “Tall guys with really large penises ended up being most attractive relative to other figures,” Mautz said.

It’s not totally clear why women prefer bigger penises, but studies have shown that women prefer larger sizes because they can increase sexual satisfaction, Mautz said.

[…]

Hmmm… I wonder if this little bit of science will make it into those private religious schools Jindal has the state of Louisiana funding?

90 calochortus  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:10:11pm

re: #89 freetoken

Don’t be silly. First it involves evolution, and second it involves female choice.

91 compound_Idaho  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:14:17pm

re: #89 freetoken

Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, PNAS seems like the appropriate place for such a paper. Just how do you pronounce that acronym?

92 Walking Spanish Down the Hall  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:14:20pm

re: #64 freetoken

[continuing]

quickfacts.census.gov
and the portion of the population below poverty is 18%.

For what it’s worth.

None of the States without personal income taxes had their median income improve from the average of 2008-2009 to the average of 2010-2011.

In fact, Alaska had the biggest decrease.

93 Glenn Beck's Grand Unifying Theory of Obdicut  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:15:38pm

re: #91 compound_Idaho

“Pee-nass”. My wife talks about it all the time.

94 Walking Spanish Down the Hall  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:17:10pm

re: #89 freetoken

I’m surprised no one has commented on the biggest science news of the day:

Penis evolution: Is bigger really better?

Anyway, here is the PNAS article:

The National Geographic story:

I think I need to invest in a penis extension.

95 efuseakay  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:17:32pm

I’d hate to think it, but seeing how frail they all looked with exception of the one chubby faced guy… They must be keeping the dogs as MRE.

96 Stanley Sea  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:17:53pm

re: #65 Kragar

Making some of my Sausage Bean Soup.

Recipe?

97 compound_Idaho  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:18:56pm

re: #93 Glenn Beck’s Grand Unifying Theory of Obdicut

“Pee-nass”. My wife talks about it all the time.

Is it a large organ….ization?

98 engineer cat  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:21:06pm

so the subjects under discussion are bean soup, tax policy, and penises

99 Kragar  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:21:10pm

re: #96 Stanley Sea

Recipe?

An hour in and I realize I forgot to add the turnips

1 1/2 cups mixed dried beans
7 cups chicken stock
1 red bell pepper
1/2 red onion
1 bunch cilantro
3 turnips
1 smoked sausage
3-5 cloves of garlic
1 tsp black pepper

Soak the beans overnight.

chop peppers, onion, turnips and sausage.

Bring chicken stock to a boil, add vegetables, spices and sausages

reduce to simmer for about 90 minutes, adding the cilantro, coursely cut after the first hour.

100 Stanley Sea  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:24:07pm

re: #99 Kragar

That sounds really good. Chicken broth is the basis for all good. It’s my secret ingredient in my sausage gravy for b&g.

Next shopping trip.

101 wrenchwench  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:24:09pm

re: #98 engineer cat

so the subjects under discussion are bean soup, tax policy, and penises

Sausage Bean Soup….

102 Kragar  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:25:26pm

re: #100 Stanley Sea

Next shopping trip.

Turnips are my secret ingredient.

Nice consistency, but they don’t dissolve into mush like potatoes.

103 Stanley Sea  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:26:03pm

re: #101 wrenchwench

Sausage Bean Soup….

How was your weekend adventure? I missed any pre or post description .

104 HoosierHoops  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:26:18pm

RIP Lady Thatcher.
I think history will judge her as a strong woman that stepped into the breach when her Country needed her.

105 Glenn Beck's Grand Unifying Theory of Obdicut  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:26:51pm

re: #97 compound_Idaho

Is it a large organ….ization?

Yeah, it’s represents a sizeably body of scientists. It’s has a high output, too.

106 Glenn Beck's Grand Unifying Theory of Obdicut  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:28:23pm

re: #104 HoosierHoops

RIP Lady Thatcher.

And then did some terrible things in that breach.

107 wrenchwench  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:30:26pm

re: #103 Stanley Sea

How was your weekend adventure? I missed any pre or post description .

It was a descriptionless adventure, until now. We went to a Dutch Oven Cook Off and sold cast iron cookware, and then bought some too. I ate some Mock Rattlesnake Pot Pie, among many other things, some of which contained sausage and beans, coincidentally.

108 Walking Spanish Down the Hall  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:31:36pm

re: #106 Glenn Beck’s Grand Unifying Theory of Obdicut

And then did some terrible things in that breach.

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;

109 Stanley Sea  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:31:57pm

re: #107 wrenchwench

Hee.

110 Walking Spanish Down the Hall  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:32:11pm

re: #107 wrenchwench

How do you mock a rattlesnake?

111 calochortus  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:32:45pm

re: #110 Walking Spanish Down the Hall

How do you mock a rattlesnake?

Carefully. Very carefully.

112 Stanley Sea  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:33:04pm

re: #107 wrenchwench

Mock rattlesnake = chicken or frog legs? I had the real deal years ago, no big.

113 wrenchwench  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:33:05pm

re: #111 calochortus

Carefully. Very carefully.

And from a distance.

114 Amory Blaine  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:33:07pm

Chicken?

115 wrenchwench  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:34:34pm

re: #112 Stanley Sea

Mock rattlesnake = chicken or frog legs? I had the real deal years ago, no big.

Chicken. She was going to use real rattlesnake, but her source raised the price when he found out what it was going for online (like $35/lb.). It’s not warm enough yet to go out and catch your own.

116 dragonath  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:34:37pm

Dancing at the Pyongyang Disco

Image: tumblr_m96zyeuhou1qm2ffuo1_500.jpg

117 Hercules Grytpype-Thynneghazi  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:35:42pm

Tonight: sautéed shad roe over quinoa slathered with shallots in butter.

Looks sorta nasty, but mmmmmm.

118 Amory Blaine  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:37:26pm

re: #116 dragonath

Dancing at the Pyongyang Disco

Image: tumblr_m96zyeuhou1qm2ffuo1_500.jpg

Studio 38.

119 Walking Spanish Down the Hall  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:38:39pm

Sometimes I feel I should unpack my comments.

120 Amory Blaine  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:40:46pm

Sometimes I feel like my only friend.

121 Stanley Sea  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:41:13pm

re: #117 Hercules Grytpype-Thynneghazi

Tonight: sautéed shad roe over quinoa slathered with shallots in butter.

Looks sorta nasty, but mmmmmm.

Is it fish liver? Looks sorta nasty!!!

122 Amory Blaine  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:42:20pm

Baked salmon with a side of brown rice with red peppers and green beans.

123 goddamnedfrank  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:43:09pm

re: #81 Glenn Beck’s Grand Unifying Theory of Obdicut

Paraguay.

124 Charles Johnson  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:45:29pm

Sometimes I feel like I’ve been tied to the whipping post.

125 Hercules Grytpype-Thynneghazi  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:45:33pm

re: #121 Stanley Sea

Is it fish liver? Looks sorta nasty!!!

roe = eggs. They come in a pair of egg sacs roughly the size & shape of something a large dog might have left on your lawn.

126 Stanley Sea  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:45:47pm

Roasted potatoes, carrots & onions….with baked salmon. Easy peasy and lunch tomorrow.

127 Stanley Sea  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:46:23pm

re: #125 Hercules Grytpype-Thynneghazi

How is the shad fish itself?

128 engineer cat  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:46:40pm

re: #116 dragonath

Dancing at the Pyongyang Disco

Image: tumblr_m96zyeuhou1qm2ffuo1_500.jpg

wow - am at a loss to imagine what kind of music is supposed to be playing here

in the center a drummer plays a high power trap set with two bass drums. a guitar player is shown playing an indeterminate type of guitar, along with a flute player who is blowing into the middle of the flute where no sound hole has ever been known to live, and finally a stand up bass player is sawing away with the bow with an energetic but unlikely technique

129 calochortus  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:46:48pm

re: #126 Stanley Sea

Sounds yummy. Tacos here tonight, and I’d better go do something about that.

BBL

130 engineer cat  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:48:00pm

re: #127 Stanley Sea

How is the shad fish itself?

is it anything like scrod?

and how come so many fish exist only in the past tense?

131 Walking Spanish Down the Hall  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:49:13pm

Sometimes I feel I’m missing the music.

132 Stanley Sea  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:49:29pm

re: #130 engineer cat

is it anything like scrod?

and how come so many fish exist only in the past tense?

Salmond

133 Walking Spanish Down the Hall  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:49:59pm

re: #128 engineer cat

wow - am at a loss to imagine what kind of music is supposed to be playing here

Disco-grunge.

134 Hercules Grytpype-Thynneghazi  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:50:07pm

re: #127 Stanley Sea

How is the shad fish itself?

Dead, but thanks for asking.

Oh, you mean to eat? Don’t know. I’ve never eaten shad and I don’t think I’ve even seen it for sale at the fish market.

Shad roe.

ETA: you mean I can’t get a single upding for shad roe on quinoa with shallots & butter? And I thought this place was civilized.

135 Charles Johnson  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:51:25pm

re: #116 dragonath

Dancing at the Pyongyang Disco

Image: tumblr_m96zyeuhou1qm2ffuo1_500.jpg

Yes. That is what I’m talking about.

136 Charles Johnson  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:52:04pm
137 Hercules Grytpype-Thynneghazi  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:53:03pm

re: #130 engineer cat

is it anything like scrod?

and how come so many fish exist only in the past tense?

Overfishing.

138 Walking Spanish Down the Hall  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:54:03pm

We are being inundated with pro-pipeline ads. Everything from the oil industry patting itself on the back for existing oil pipelines to those same people pushing Keystone XL and Northern Gateway.

139 Charles Johnson  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:54:33pm

One of my first bands actually opened for the Allman Brothers at the Honolulu International Center Arena. I met Bill Graham backstage - he complimented the band, said we should get out of Hawaii and do something.

The Allman Brothers were incredible that night - I was standing by the side of the stage in awe.

140 Stanley Sea  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:55:30pm

re: #134 Hercules Grytpype-Thynneghazi

Too weirded out. But I fixed it.

141 Stanley Sea  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:56:42pm

re: #138 Walking Spanish Down the Hall

No mention of the Arkansas home owners?

142 Bubblehead II  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 5:57:33pm

re: #115 wrenchwench

Damn. I know of a place that I could get an easy 10 pounds of snake meat in a day. Is that bone in or just the meat? And no, I will not hide it. It is called Shoshone Basin located in southern Twin Falls County.

My family calls it the snake pit

143 Stanley Sea  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 6:00:45pm

BBL folks

144 wrenchwench  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 6:04:03pm

re: #142 Bubblehead II

My family calls it the snake pit

I imagine at $35/lb, it should be boneless. Would it be worth $350 to catch, kill, and fillet 10 lbs. of snake meat?

145 engineer cat  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 6:04:14pm

re: #133 Walking Spanish Down the Hall

Disco-grunge.

d’ya know, back in the early 80s i found out from some students from the people’s republic that were studying computer science with me that in the prc rock n roll was ganz verboten, whereas disco was considered acceptable

146 Eventual Carrion  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 6:31:07pm

re: #73 engineer cat

what does a sausage bean look like?

Little Smokies?

147 thatthatisis  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 6:41:17pm

Just saw the video. That was hilarious.

I think our country is safe. However, LOLcats are in big trouble.

148 Bubblehead II  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 6:56:17pm

re: #144 wrenchwench

Have you even looked at a Snake?

We are not looking at a a cow or deer here.

149 BeenHereAwhile  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 7:03:48pm

Sometimes I feel like I’ve been tied to the whipping post.

Some years later, Phil Walden related that Gregg wrote the lyrics to Whipping Post on an ironing board cover, cause he could not find any paper to write on.
He looked at Gregg and asked if that were true.
Gregg said he couldn’t remember.

150 efuseakay  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 7:25:03pm

re: #100 Stanley Sea

Next shopping trip.

Bacon grease > your chicken broth!

151 BeenHereAwhile  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 7:26:12pm

Dunno when you opened for the ABB, suspect it was Gregg, Dicky, Chuck, Lamar, Butch & Jaimoe.
Even after Chuck Level joined the band it took them a while to regroup after Duane & Barry.
“Jessica” comes to mind, and best of all from that period, “In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed” off the ‘Wipe The Windows, A Dollar Gas’ album.

152 BeenHereAwhile  Mon, Apr 8, 2013 7:37:22pm

re: #151 BeenHereAwhile

[smartphone edit]
Good jazz piece, even Dicky broke out some new licks.

The Smiths - How Soon Is Now? (Official Music Video) Watch the official music video for "How Soon Is Now"Amazon: po.stiTunes: po.stGoogle: po.stFacebook: po.st "How Soon Is Now?" was originally a B-side of the 1984 single "William, It Was Really Nothing". "How Soon Is Now?" was featured on the ...
2017 Hurricanes and Aerosols Simulation This is fascinating, I recommend full screen How can you see the atmosphere? By tracking what is carried on the wind. Tiny aerosol particles such as smoke, dust, and sea salt are transported across the globe, making visible weather ...
Incredibles 2 Official Teaser Trailer The teaser trailer for "Incredibles 2" is here. Disney/Pixar's "Incredibles 2" opens in theatres in 3D June 15th, 2018. Everyone’s favorite family of superheroes is back in “Incredibles 2” – but this time Helen (voice of Holly Hunter) is ...
Deadpool’s “Wet on Wet” Teaser After surviving a near fatal bovine attack, a disfigured cafeteria chef (Wade Wilson) struggles to fulfill his dream of becoming Mayberry’s hottest bartender while also learning to cope with his lost sense of taste. Searching to regain his spice ...
Voice of America Reporter Outed as Alt-Right However, using information Fatzick himself posted on Reddit — including his age, girlfriend’s name, former employers, friends, location, educational background, and sports affiliations — this reporter was able to tie the vile posts of UncleSam4200 to the Voice of ...
5 days, 1 hour ago
Gary Clark Jr - Come Together (Official Music Video) [From the Justice League Movie Soundtrack] Official Video for "Come Together" by Gary Clark Jr. featured in the Justice League Movie trailer. In theaters November 17th 2017.Directed by Kris Merc Get the song now at garyclarkjr.com Check out the Justice League soundtrack here: lnk.to Follow ...
1 week ago
Kimbra - Top of the World (Official Music Video)New from Kimbra The new single Top of the World is available now on Apple Music, Spotify, Google Play, and more. Get the single here - kmbra.me The new studio album Primal Heart out wwide January 19th, 2018Preorder now - ...
1 week ago
The Barr Brothers - Song That I Heard (Live on KEXP) kexp.org presents The Barr Brothers performing "Song That I Heard" live at Breakglass Studios during POP Montreal 2017. Recorded September 16, 2017. Audio Engineer: James BenjaminCameras: Jim Beckmann, Ian Cameron & Scott HolpainenEditor: Jim Beckmann kexp.orgpopmontreal.combreakglass.ca With support from ...
Left Cries Foul, but Electoral College Prevents Tyranny of the Majority I'm speechless...this is what we have to fight against: Image: constitution-1486010_960_720.jpg Author: Paul Jenkins(Paul Jenkins is editor of the anchoragedailyplanet.com, a division of Porcaro Communications) The political left and its mouthpiece, The New York Times, are still fuming over ...
Cheechako
Tune-Yards - Look at Your Hands (Official Video) 'Look at Your Hands' by Tune-Yards. New album 'I can feel you creep into my private life' is released January 19th 2018: smarturl.it Video by Michael SpeedFootage by Marisa Gesualdi & Jennifer SommerAdditional photos by Nate Brenner, Ginger Fierstein ...