1 Charles Johnson  Nov 9, 2014 6:12:43pm
2 BlueSpotinAL  Nov 9, 2014 6:26:22pm

I liked the part of the video where they unplug the TV with Michele Bachmann on air.

3 EmmaAnne  Nov 9, 2014 6:29:11pm

One of my daughters and I have been watching the new Cosmos, and it is interesting to see how various misconceptions have been handled. Continental drift was misunderstood until a few decades ago, but once the scientific community was on board, everyone understood and believed it in short order. No pushback.

Environmental lead was a tougher sell - the leaded gasoline industry pushed back with their own paid-off experts, and it took a while to do something about lead. But liberal Democrats were running the government then, and they did remove lead from gas despite the screeching. Once it was a done deal, the industry people gave up and moved on to new battles.

Climate change? Apparently there will be no acceptance of the science. The industrial interest groups have kept anything from happening so far, and I don’t know when we will have a liberal government again that would be willing to stand up to them. So climate change is “controversial” and nothing will be done, even though the science is as plain as continental drift and environmental lead.

4 retired cynic  Nov 9, 2014 6:32:14pm

Reposted from where I managed to post on the old thread as you were doing a new one:

In response to VB and the autism vaccine post. My elderly husband (a true liberal) clicked on some bait, and got on several lists like this. He got more and more upset, and I couldn’t understand what he was upset about, and finally he was unable to do email any longer, and I found his email was full of this stuff. He was so confused by it. I can see how elderly people can get trapped by this, and end up swallowing ‘Faux’ propaganda and worse without question.

5 Vicious Piebola  Nov 9, 2014 6:33:34pm

re: #4 retired cynic

I read the #tcot Twitter feed for Teh LULZ but Jebus they are so fucking stupid

6 Teukka  Nov 9, 2014 6:36:45pm

It will be all fun and games until… I can’t say someone loses an eye or extremity, because it’s humanity that’ll take a truly ugly punch.
And it’s going to be the hardest on the deniers, many of them will simply wake up one day and have the more or less unavoidable reality that they were scammed big time staring them in the face.

7 Vicious Piebola  Nov 9, 2014 6:39:11pm

When climate change gets to be truly horrific (G-D forbid) the Republicans will have regressed to the point that they think it can be reversed by sacrificing virgins and burning witches.

8 Teukka  Nov 9, 2014 6:42:15pm

re: #7 Vicious Piebola

I beg to differ. Those still believing the lies will be undeniably having psychotic episodes from an external point of view. That’s how in-your-face the consequences will be.

9 SteveMcGazi  Nov 9, 2014 6:42:33pm

re: #6 Teukka

The deniers don’t give a rat’s ass about whether Climate change is real or not. They just hate liberals, so whatever the liberal says, they want the opposite.

10 SteveMcGazi  Nov 9, 2014 6:50:01pm

There really isn’t an issue much more conservative that conserving your environment, your resources, your way of life, etc.

11 palomino  Nov 9, 2014 6:50:05pm

re: #9 SteveMcGazi

Sadly that’s the story of Obama’s entire presidency. Of course such dysfunction goes back well before that, but it’s only intensified since the 90’s, and is now so bad that basic governing at the federal level is nearly impossible.

This is the knee-jerk right wing tribalism that makes me think just about every issue (healthcare, energy, climate change, immigration, even foreign policy) is driven primarily by the continuing culture war. The right sees itself as under siege, thus liberals and their ideas are all the enemy. And thus must be opposed regardless of substance or merit. Unfortunately it’s one sign of a nation in decline, or at least a nation that needs to go through some more tumultuous times before general agreement on government can be restored.

12 Eclectic Cyborg  Nov 9, 2014 6:51:20pm

I think it’s safe to say most of those Republicans/Deniers believe they will be Raptured before the worst effects of climate change hit the Earth.

No / , because I’m 100% serious.

13 Eclectic Cyborg  Nov 9, 2014 6:52:01pm

re: #9 SteveMcGazi

Makes you wonder what happen if Obama suddenly came out in favor of coal and drilling all over the country.

14 stpaulbear  Nov 9, 2014 6:52:45pm

re: #7 Vicious Piebola

In the Twin Cities, the forcast for tomorrow is for 10-16” of snow with temperatures staying below freezing for the rest of the week and dipping below zero next week. Last winter was brutally cold and long. If we have a repeat this year, people are going to become suicidal by January.

15 Eclectic Cyborg  Nov 9, 2014 6:53:17pm

re: #14 stpaulbear

In the Twin Cities, the forcast for tomorrow is for 10-16” of snow, with temperatures staying below freezing for the rest of the week and dipping below zero next week. Last winter was brutally cold and long. If we have a repeat this year, people are going to become suicidal by January.

Snow! Ice! Global warming is a fraud!!

16 retired cynic  Nov 9, 2014 6:55:34pm

re: #13 Eclectic Cyborg

They would say he was lying.

17 Vicious Piebola  Nov 9, 2014 6:58:17pm

HURR HURR OBAMA WANTS TO DESTROY THIS COUNTRY!!!! HES A COMMUNIST!!!!!!! BUT TED CRUZ & RAND PAUL WILL STOP HIM!!! WITH THERE GUNZ!!!!!1!!!!!!!

MOLON LABE!!!!!!!

18 BeachDem  Nov 9, 2014 6:58:38pm

I’ll preface this by saying I am, and always have been, an Aaron Sorkin fan. But, as objectively as I can say it, The Newsroom kicked ass tonight.

19 freetoken  Nov 9, 2014 6:59:19pm

Moar oil:

Libya Plans to Resume Output at Biggest Oil Field Today

The world loves its carbon.

20 SteveMcGazi  Nov 9, 2014 7:03:22pm

re: #14 stpaulbear

I have to confess, I can’t get enough winter. Problem is, here in Philadelphia, you don’t really get winter for more than a couple days at a time.

21 andres  Nov 9, 2014 7:03:42pm

re: #13 Eclectic Cyborg

They’d just move further to the right. Like they did with ACA/Obamacare.

22 Vicious Piebola  Nov 9, 2014 7:05:15pm

Wow #tcot is utterly psychotic tonight. I mean even MOAR than usual

23 Feline Fearless Leader  Nov 9, 2014 7:05:55pm

re: #20 SteveMcGazi

Need to go northwest and get on the other side of the Blue Mountain ridge line. More wintry once you get there.

24 stpaulbear  Nov 9, 2014 7:06:57pm

re: #20 SteveMcGazi

Oh, I can promise you that if you had to deal with it for five months instead of five days, you’d get enough. After 18 winters of shoveling, I finally broke down and bought a snowblower today. I’m getting too old for this.

25 jaunte  Nov 9, 2014 7:07:37pm

re: #22 Vicious Piebola

Wow #tcot is utterly psychotic tonight. I mean even MOAR than usual

Everyone’s crazy uncle emails in one handy channel.

26 SteveMcGazi  Nov 9, 2014 7:07:56pm

When I retire I’m going north. I’ll take snow and ice over heat and humidity all day long. As far as I’m concerned, it’s easier to warm up than cool off.

27 SteveMcGazi  Nov 9, 2014 7:09:02pm

re: #24 stpaulbear

I will never buy a snowblower. That’s the surest way to make sure it doesn’t snow all winter.

28 SteveMcGazi  Nov 9, 2014 7:11:44pm

Maybe I’m just twisted, but that Bears/Packers game is a lot of fun.

29 stpaulbear  Nov 9, 2014 7:12:36pm

re: #27 SteveMcGazi

Well I hope my snowblower works that way tomorrow.

30 sagehen  Nov 9, 2014 7:15:12pm

re: #3 EmmaAnne

The Koch Bros have about 85% of their net worth in untapped reserves; another 10% is in processing/shipping for fossil fuels. It’s just about money. No abstract philosophical hoohaw, no ideology, no religious reasons for skepticism… it’s just worth $1B/year to them to delay action by any means, however dishonest, however many suckers have to be fooled, however many koch whores have to be bought. It’s a simple return on investment calculation, and they consider the externalities to be of zero cost to themselves.

31 freetoken  Nov 9, 2014 7:17:30pm

I see that Jacobovici is at it again:

Jesus Was Married to Prostitute Mary Magdalene, Says British Library Manuscript

A manuscript dating back 1,450 years discovered in British Library is behind claims that Jesus Christ married Mary Magdalene and they had two children.

A new book, The Lost Gospel, by Professor of Religious Studies Barrie Wilson and historical writer Simcha Jacobovici, also includes details that there was an assassination attempt on the son of God 13 years before his execution.

On his website, Wilson described his finding of the “ancient Syriac manuscript lurking in the British Museum, dating from the 6th century but translated from much earlier Greek writing. Scholars have known about it for almost 200 years, but have not known what to make of it”.

The new book also contains revelations of Jesus’ political connections to the Roman emperor Tiberius and one of his top generals, Sejanus.

[…]

I did check out Wilson’s website:
barriewilson.com
and didn’t find the discussion referenced in the article, but I did see that this is part of yet another “documentary” to be on television.

I’m all for deconstructing the central figure of Christianity, but Jacobovici’s agenda taints everything, and it changes the research from scholarly towards sensationalism.

32 freetoken  Nov 9, 2014 7:18:24pm

There’s more than one way to make money off of Je$u$.

33 makeitstop  Nov 9, 2014 7:19:05pm

So, they named this Winter storm after George Jetson’s dog? srsly?

34 SteveMcGazi  Nov 9, 2014 7:19:24pm

At the risk of monopolizing this thread (TOO LATE!!), I would say that a tough winter makes the spring so much sweeter. But in fact Spring for me is 8 weeks of chilly rainy windy weather from mid-February to mid-April. It’s that transition that I hate. I’d rather have snow than 35 degrees and rain. From what I see of the weather (being a weather geek) lots of other people are still getting the winter on until early March, but most of the country seems to break out of it around the same time.

23 Million Fewer Americans With Health Coverage, Yes MILLION Twenty-three million fewer Americans would have insurance under legislation that House Republicans narrowly passed last month, the Congressional Budget Office reported on Wednesday. The agency also predicted the deficit would come down by $119 billion over the next decade ...
Unshaken Defiance
41 minutes ago
Britain Irritated by US Intel Leaks Thanks Trump. Your administration is a hazard The U.K. government has expressed its displeasure at the U.S. over the leaking of information about the Manchester bombing to the media. “The British police have been very clear that they want ...
Unshaken Defiance
Infowars Granted White House Press CredsIt appears as if Trump has granted official Press Credientials to that vomitorium of an opinion/con man site, Infowars: thinkprogress.org At least this administration is consistent. A Kakistocracy cannot be complete without the dumbest, stupidest information peddlers on the planet ...
Rocky-in-Connecticut
You Have One Last Chance to Repent, Sean Hannity….Help me force Sean Hannity to repent. If he doesn't, The Major will bring incredible the damage to Mr. Hannity using the new weapons of The Internet. I tried to warn you, Sean. You didn't listen then. If you choose ...
The Major
Intelligence Alert: How to Sniff Out Fake Identities on Twitter @FlorenceOconne5 Lesson Learned for Twitter Users: Check who follow you closely. If it has a high following/follower count, it's probably fake. — TheMajor (@TheMajorsViews) May 24, 2017 Now that we know how they do it, it's time to ferret ...
The Major
Doctors Argue That Female Genital Mutilation Is Protected Under First Amendment Two doctors in Detroit, along with one of their wives, are about to take the first religious defense of female genital mutilation to a US Federal court. The case stems from a FBI investigation into Dr. Jumana Nagarwala after ...
Birth Control Works
Amanda Knox: How Prisons Use Cult Tactics to Brainwash Inmates Into Religion Katie McKibben and the Orange County Superior Court both agree on one thing: In July 2013, 25-year-old McKibben failed to remain sober while on home arrest for her third DUI. She had been struggling with alcoholism throughout her early ...
Birth Control Works
Letters From Women Pleading for Abortion, Sent in 1917, Mirror Emails Sent Today In the early 1900s, desperate American women wrote letters to the founder of Planned Parenthood begging for help with unwanted pregnancies. A century later, they're sending eerily similar messages to an international abortion-by-mail service. "I'm in the family way ...
Birth Control Works
Pregnant Women Are Being Arrested for Crimes They Didn’t Know They Committed Laurie was five months pregnant when she used methamphetamine. She'd previously been on anxiety medication, but her doctor switched her to an opiate when she told him she had history for drug addiction. She said the opiate made her ...
Birth Control Works
Views: 4,999 • Comments: 0 • Rating: 1
Manchester: Defiant and Proud Everybody reading this will have some connection to Manchester. Whether it's music you love (*waves at Charles*), football you enjoy, science you respect or that radical tradition you've read of, Manchester is a World City we all have some ...
Paul Canning