History • Views: 36,645

More: Motel Manager Pouring Acid in the Water When Black People Swam in His Pool, 1964

This famous photograph by Horace Cort shows a group of white and black integrationists in the former Monson Motor Lodge swimming pool on June 18, 1964. The photo was connected to the St. Augustine Movement, named for the town in Florida where it took place. Lots of peaceful protests and demonstrations were responded to with violence, which lead to more and more complicated protests.

On June 11, 1964, Martin Luther King, Jr was arrested for trespassing at the Monson Motor Lodge after being asked to leave from its segregated restaurant. This (and other things) helped spurn on a group of protesters, black and white, to jump into the pool as a strategically planned event to end segregation at motel pools. The pool at this motel was designated “white only.” Whites who paid for motel rooms invited blacks to join them in the motel pool as their guests. This swim-in was planned by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr and two associates. The motel manager, Jimmy Brock, in an effort to break up the party, poured a bottle of muriatic acid into the pool, hoping the swimmers would become scared and leave. One swimmer, who knew that the ratio of acid to pool water was so great that the acid was no longer a threat, drank some of the pool water to calm the other swimmers’ fears.

More at Rare Historical Photos.

51 years ago. How times have [not] changed!

1 jaunte  Jun 8, 2015 8:53:16pm

I’ll leave this up here, too.

2 jaunte  Jun 8, 2015 8:55:42pm

StL Mayor Joseph Darst continuing the expedient of coddling bigots as the “only practical action.”

3 goddamnedfrank  Jun 8, 2015 8:55:47pm
4 teleskiguy  Jun 8, 2015 8:59:47pm

The man pouring the acid in the pool died seven years ago. That man’s attitude towards other races besides white lives on in millions of Americans.

5 Aunty Entity Dragon  Jun 8, 2015 9:00:41pm

Go read “Confederates in the Attic” and pay particular attention to the chapter “Dying for Dixie” which deals with swimming pools and whites who won’t share.

The pool owner (at a motel) who is a German immigrant filled the pool in with earth after whites started causing problems when she let black children swim with everyone else. She refused to allow her property to be the focus of hatred.

6 b_sharp  Jun 8, 2015 9:02:38pm

Muriatic acid is pretty potent acid. The danger in this manager’s action isn’t in mixing the acid into the pool water, it’s in splashing some of the undiluted acid into somebody’s face, a chance the bigoted manager was all too willing to take.

7 Charles Johnson  Jun 8, 2015 9:03:59pm

Random loon pops up in my mentions. I have no idea who this is, but he apparently thinks I “tried to do” something to him. Right wing loon is loony.

8 b_sharp  Jun 8, 2015 9:04:51pm

re: #4 teleskiguy

Shamefully and sadly.

Humans (some) just cannot let go of tribal attitudes and find skin colour the easiest divider between tribes to recognize.

9 allegro  Jun 8, 2015 9:07:59pm

re: #6 b_sharp

I know that when we “shocked” our pool we didn’t dive in for several hours after because it wasn’t safe. Muriatic isn’t the most corrosive of acids but it can burn the hell outa skin at concentration. That motel manager intended harm.

10 Charles Johnson  Jun 8, 2015 9:10:14pm

Muriatic acid is just an outdated term for hydrochloric acid, by the way.

11 Dr. Matt  Jun 8, 2015 9:11:17pm
12 jaunte  Jun 8, 2015 9:13:12pm
The History We Choose to Forget

My father was a lifeguard at Fairground Park pool when it was segregated. He never mentioned what happened in 1949.

13 teleskiguy  Jun 8, 2015 9:14:46pm

Yeah, there’s a huge segment of the United States population in thrall to magical thinking.

14 Kragar  Jun 8, 2015 9:16:02pm

IRS refund finally hit read as deposited, outstanding bill paid, XBox One tomorrow

15 Targetpractice  Jun 8, 2015 9:16:48pm

re: #14 Kragar

Drinks are on Kragar!

16 Dark_Falcon  Jun 8, 2015 9:19:02pm

Muriatic acid is just an outdated term for hydrochloric acid, by the way.

That’s worth knowing, since it clarifies what that shitbird put in the pool: Seriously dangerous stuff.

17 allegro  Jun 8, 2015 9:19:30pm

re: #15 Targetpractice

Drinks are on Kragar!

Hell, I want a joint.

18 teleskiguy  Jun 8, 2015 9:19:33pm

Look at this friggin’ alpaca! Look at it! [tomorrow’s front page of my local daily newspaper]

19 teleskiguy  Jun 8, 2015 9:21:45pm

re: #17 allegro

Hell, I want a joint.

Colorado, baby! You can buy big Bob Marley joints, and they’ll give you a receipt!

20 The War TARDIS  Jun 8, 2015 9:22:30pm

Sooo, my parents live in McKinney.

Dad left COS in Jan 2014, Mom in June 2014, and Sister in August 2014.

They think that Captain Barrel Roll was one of the stupidest things they have ever seen. But they are still falling for the “There must be another side.”

There is a family history that makes my conversion to Islam ironic by the way. If anyone is curious, tell me.

21 allegro  Jun 8, 2015 9:24:16pm

re: #19 teleskiguy

Embedded Image

I have been considering relocating. Colorado tops the list.

22 SteveMcGaziBolaGate  Jun 8, 2015 9:24:39pm

I’m sure the officer will just say he tripped on a root or a crack in the sidewalk, but he can’t explain why he was sprinting in the first place.

23 Jenner7  Jun 8, 2015 9:25:55pm

re: #22 SteveMcGaziBolaGate

I’m honestly surprised no one claimed he was tripped by the teenagers…

24 allegro  Jun 8, 2015 9:26:21pm

re: #22 SteveMcGaziBolaGate

I suggest cute virgin pussy but he would probably deny.

25 Dark_Falcon  Jun 8, 2015 9:27:28pm

re: #20 The War TARDIS

Sooo, my parents live in McKinney.

Dad left COS in Jan 2014, Mom in June 2014, and Sister in August 2014.

I’m interested.

26 makeitstop  Jun 8, 2015 9:29:40pm

So around 7:00 I told my wife I was a little tired.

‘Go take a nap,’ she said. So I did.

I woke up about an hour ago, all refreshed and ready to take on the day, only about 8 hours too early.

I’m about to go try this sleep thing again in a minute. I have my doubts about it, though.

27 #FergusonFireside  Jun 8, 2015 9:31:11pm

And I have relaxed quickly after my night shift. Usually I’m wound for a couple of hours.

phew.

Good night all, I’ll start reading from here tomorrow.

(Tardis)

28 jaunte  Jun 8, 2015 9:31:13pm

re: #22 SteveMcGaziBolaGate

He was sprinting after the kids who were leaving to force them to sit down so he could tell them they had to leave. It makes total sense.

29 The War TARDIS  Jun 8, 2015 9:31:20pm

re: #25 Dark_Falcon

You has a Twitter message.

30 allegro  Jun 8, 2015 9:33:56pm

re: #26 makeitstop

So around 7:00 I told my wife I was a little tired.

‘Go take a nap,’ she said. So I did.

This is why I love retirement. Sleep. Wake. My choice. Except for my dogs who have their own really insistent ideas on the matter.

31 The Very Reverend Battleaxe of Knowledge  Jun 8, 2015 9:34:38pm
32 jaunte  Jun 8, 2015 9:35:32pm

re: #19 teleskiguy

I hear Mel Blanc saying “What’s up, Doc?”

33 The Very Reverend Battleaxe of Knowledge  Jun 8, 2015 9:35:59pm

re: #30 allegro

I’ve become basically nocturnal the last year or so….

34 The War TARDIS  Jun 8, 2015 9:39:13pm

re: #25 Dark_Falcon

Oops, sent to Gus first.

Sent it again.

35 teleskiguy  Jun 8, 2015 9:39:32pm

re: #21 allegro

I have been considering relocating. Colorado tops the list.

You’re in Texas, correct?

If you’ve got some money and you want to live in Colorado post-retirement, may I suggest the North Fork Gunnison River Valley, municipalities include Crawford, Paonia, Hotchkiss. Lovely, scenic, secluded, good climate (for Colorado, there’s vineyards in the North Fork Valley).

36 makeitstop  Jun 8, 2015 9:39:36pm

re: #30 allegro

My dog came downstairs with me, but even he gave up and went back to bed.

My cats are looking at me like ‘WTF?’

37 SteveMcGaziBolaGate  Jun 8, 2015 9:41:41pm

re: #26 makeitstop

Sleep is so overrated. I get up Monday morning and go to bed Friday night. That way I don’t oversleep.

38 teleskiguy  Jun 8, 2015 9:43:00pm

re: #37 SteveMcGaziBolaGate

You’re in the primary medical industry though, so you’re by default a mutant.

39 Dark_Falcon  Jun 8, 2015 9:45:40pm

re: #29 The War TARDIS

You has a Twitter message.

Received.

40 teleskiguy  Jun 8, 2015 9:46:41pm

I hear Mel Blanc saying “What’s up, Doc?”

His headstone is so money.

41 SteveMcGaziBolaGate  Jun 8, 2015 9:46:43pm

re: #38 teleskiguy

Soon. My last class ends on August 1. I have an official threat from the dean: get a B+ or no diploma.

42 allegro  Jun 8, 2015 9:47:20pm

re: #33 The Very Reverend Battleaxe of Knowledge

I’ve become basically nocturnal the last year or so….

I have spells. I’m in nocturnal mode now, especially listening to music and going where it takes me well into to wee hours. But then I feel that robs me of the day and being productive. Yet it beckons so sweetly and is productive in its own way which is taking me deep into my head and spirit… sometimes a dangerous place to go but always educational.

43 makeitstop  Jun 8, 2015 9:47:35pm

re: #37 SteveMcGaziBolaGate

I used to do that, back when I was young and bulletproof.

Nowadays, I loves my sleep.

44 teleskiguy  Jun 8, 2015 9:48:27pm

re: #41 SteveMcGaziBolaGate

Best of luck to you my good man! I’ll try and send some real-world karma your way, however that works.

45 Kragar  Jun 8, 2015 9:49:47pm
46 Targetpractice  Jun 8, 2015 9:50:34pm

re: #31 The Very Reverend Battleaxe of Knowledge

Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback Threatens to Defund Judiciary if It Rules Against Him.

Imagine for a second the President even threatening to put such a law before the legislature, saying if SCOTUS rules against the ACA subsidies, then their funding will be pulled.

47 jaunte  Jun 8, 2015 9:52:20pm

re: #45 Kragar

I can’t even tell who that is.

48 jaunte  Jun 8, 2015 9:53:50pm

Does James Spader have a squinty cousin?

49 Mattand  Jun 8, 2015 9:54:31pm

I can’t even tell who that is.

I only know it because Maddow featured it tonight: that’s Wisconsin’s contribution to the GOP Krazy Klown Kar, Scott Walker.

50 Amory Blaine  Jun 8, 2015 9:55:10pm

That’s Governor Dropout. Probably on his way to another fundraiser out of state.

51 jaunte  Jun 8, 2015 9:55:24pm

re: #49 Mattand

His usual hair helmet is disguised by an actual helmet.

52 Targetpractice  Jun 8, 2015 9:55:30pm

I can’t even tell who that is.

Scott Walker, the goggle-eyed homunculus hired by Koch Industries to manage their midwest subsidiary formerly known as the state of Wisconsin.

h/t Charlie Pierce

53 teleskiguy  Jun 8, 2015 9:55:56pm

I can’t even tell who that is.

I can tell. It’s Scott Walker, as-of-now my prediction for the Republican nomination for president.

I bet if I took Scott Walker to an Umphrey’s McGee show, he’d just stand in the back and not move.

54 SteveMcGaziBolaGate  Jun 8, 2015 9:57:02pm

re: #44 teleskiguy

Thanks. It was a plan that almost blew up in my face. After the nightmare of the previous year, I broke up the last semester into two. Unfortunately I ran out of gas at the end of the spring and my grades went splat. I got a B and C+, but the GPA for those two wasn’t high enough and I got dismissed from the program with one course to go. I applied for reinstatement and the people who knew what was going on advised the dean and kept me in, (but I still gotta get a B+ or else…) I’m not worried. I got 98 on the first test, and the course as a whole is a bunny.

There has been a lot of carnage in the program. The lady who sat next to me just got bounced, also while taking what should have been her last class.

55 Mattand  Jun 8, 2015 9:58:01pm

re: #31 The Very Reverend Battleaxe of Knowledge

Yet another story featured on Maddow tonight. IIRC, a milder version of this is what earned Rick Perry his indictment.

What Brownback is doing, however, is beyond the pale. You know all that tyranny the Tea Baggers (or just about any conservative anymore) are always yammering about? Here ya go, jerks. One branch of government out-and-out trying to destroy another.

And it’s alllll Republicans doing it.

56 SteveMcGaziBolaGate  Jun 8, 2015 9:58:16pm

If you’re within reach of a tv, turn on Rachel Maddow now

57 Dark_Falcon  Jun 8, 2015 9:58:26pm

This a decent time to post these two articles covering the Daesh (ISIS) offensive in Syria. The Daesh assaults on al-Sukhna and Hulayhilah didn’t make the news here, but they allowed Daesh to fully isolate the last eastern Assad bastion of Deir ez-Zor. What’s worse is the way Assad’s troops just bugged out once Daesh forces took a strong point or two; There was no effort at a counterattack or even an organized withdrawal such as Iraqi forces made from Ramadi, Assad’s men just cut and ran. It didn’t do them too much good, since many of them were run down and killed. but it reminded irresistibly of this poem by Rudyard Kipling I’ve excerpted below:

We was sick o’ bein’ punished, an’ we let ‘em know it, too;
An’ a company-commander up an’ ‘it us with a sword,
An’ some one shouted “‘Ook it!” an’ it come to sove-ki-poo,
An’ we chucked our rifles from us — O my Gawd!

There was thirty dead an’ wounded on the ground we wouldn’t keep —
No, there wasn’t more than twenty when the front begun to go;
But, Christ! along the line o’ flight they cut us up like sheep,
An’ that was all we gained by doin’ so.

SNIP

We was rotten ‘fore we started — we was never disciplined;
We made it out a favour if an order was obeyed;
Yes, every little drummer ‘ad ‘is rights an’ wrongs to mind,
So we had to pay for teachin’ — an’ we paid!

58 Mattand  Jun 8, 2015 9:59:35pm

re: #56 SteveMcGaziBolaGate

If you’re within reach of a tv, turn on Rachel Maddow now

All eels, all the time!

59 teleskiguy  Jun 8, 2015 9:59:47pm

re: #54 SteveMcGaziBolaGate

Fuckin’ medical school, man. I couldn’t hack it. I admire your doggedness. 98 on the first test? I think you got this, man!

60 Amory Blaine  Jun 8, 2015 10:00:00pm

Dropkick Murphys to Governor Dropout, drop dead.

61 Targetpractice  Jun 8, 2015 10:00:44pm

re: #55 Mattand

And it’s alllll Republicans doing it.

It’s behavior like this that leads me to laughter when wingnuts start nattering on about how fascism is a form of liberalism because it’s “socialist.”

62 TedStriker  Jun 8, 2015 10:01:44pm

re: #19 teleskiguy

Embedded Image

“LED ZEPPELIN!”

63 TedStriker  Jun 8, 2015 10:06:24pm

re: #40 teleskiguy

His headstone is so money.

Embedded Image

That’s good; I like this headstone from Tombstone:

64 Rev_Arthur_Icantbreatheing  Jun 8, 2015 10:12:35pm

re: #31 The Very Reverend Battleaxe of Knowledge

WOW! I think the U.S. Supreme Court might even weigh in on that.

Fucking idiots (Brownback, et. al.)

65 allegro  Jun 8, 2015 10:13:31pm

re: #35 teleskiguy

You’re in Texas, correct?

Yes, Texan by choice. A wildlifer’s paradise - what turns us on is often real different from what most normal people look for in life. I taught several summer courses in Boulder and fell in love with the area. While an A-frame in the mountains may have been heaven in my younger days, now? I dunno. It’s a whole new trick and I’m am old dog. Thank you for your suggestions - they may provide an ideal compromise. ;)

66 Targetpractice  Jun 8, 2015 10:14:13pm

After so many cases of being told that any sort of bad behavior in the past of a black victim proves they’re not a “perfect angel” and thus must have done something to warrant being shot dead, a wingnut just responded to me about Casebolt tearing down his internet history by saying “you can hardly blame him.”

Fuckin’ hell.

67 klys (maker of Silmarils)  Jun 8, 2015 10:15:45pm

re: #65 allegro

Some of the area around Black Canyon of the Gunnison was absolutely fantastic, I have to say. Remind me tomorrow, I will poke at photos.

68 Rev_Arthur_Icantbreatheing  Jun 8, 2015 10:18:20pm

re: #60 Amory Blaine

Dropkick Murphys to Governor Dropout, drop dead.

I never get why politicians don’t want to pay and ask permission from musicians to use their music. It’s just gobsmackingly ignorant in so many ways.

69 allegro  Jun 8, 2015 10:18:55pm

re: #49 Mattand

No wonder I didn’t recognize him for his dead, retarded eyes.

70 teleskiguy  Jun 8, 2015 10:50:13pm

Listen below. Audience-sourced recording.

MP3 Audio

71 teleskiguy  Jun 8, 2015 10:52:49pm

RIP Johnny Winter. I’m thankful I was able to see the man play live.

72 allegro  Jun 8, 2015 10:55:13pm

re: #67 klys (maker of Silmarils)

I would love that. Part of me so wants to be seduced to leave here. There’s nothing else holding me here now since my husband and family are gone and I’m retired. But… I guess I’m scared. Dunno why. Nothing much scared me before when I actually had something to lose. I was always in front of the line to say fuck the rules, I’m going in. That fire died at some point which has been a relief in its way but has also kept me from seeking a new adventure. A spark to relight that fire might be really a cool thing. Maybe.

73 goddamnedfrank  Jun 8, 2015 10:56:58pm
74 freetoken  Jun 8, 2015 10:57:46pm

re: #31 The Very Reverend Battleaxe of Knowledge

I guess Kansas is getting what they deserve. They re-elected him so they must like him.

75 freetoken  Jun 8, 2015 10:59:32pm

If I recall American history correctly, and I may not, was it not Kansas that precipitated the Civil War?

76 teleskiguy  Jun 8, 2015 11:04:41pm

re: #75 freetoken

The Kansas-Nebraska Act of 1854 was definitely a catalyst of the Civil War. The federal government allowed for a choice among municipalities in the Kansas-Nebraska territory to choose to be slave or free. Which led to bloody clashes, especially in Lawrence, KS and places up and down the Missouri River near present-day Kansas City. John Brown and his family showed up and murdered slaveholders around these parts.

77 Targetpractice  Jun 8, 2015 11:12:25pm

I should really stop telling my cat that he won’t eat what I’m cooking, because he always ends up eating it just to spite me.

78 Single-handed sailor  Jun 9, 2015 12:19:49am

So today’s high was 104.3 and at midnight was 78. Most places that get that hot would love a night that cool. I’m 25 miles from the Golden Gate Bridge so it should have cooled below 70 by now. Tomorrow is going to be hot.

79 Kragar  Jun 9, 2015 12:20:04am

re: #75 freetoken

Bleeding Kansas

80 freetoken  Jun 9, 2015 2:36:57am
81 Wendell Zurkowitz (slave to the waffle light)  Jun 9, 2015 2:43:04am

re: #76 teleskiguy

Because democracy is all about majority rule. Unless you disgree with the majority, in which case you try to block things in the courts.

Or defund the courts if they rule against you…

82 Justanotherhuman  Jun 9, 2015 3:52:23am

Woke up about 2 am in total darkness. Power was off for over 4 hrs. Lit a couple of candles, found my cheap little Sony transistor radio and turned it on, also my flashlight, and about an hour later my grandson came home. Said it was a regional outage. Called Duke Energy and was told my address was OK so reported it. They also had my phone # sorted into someone else’s address. I’ll fix that.

I hate total darkness. Slept right through the thunderstorms, though. : )

83 Justanotherhuman  Jun 9, 2015 4:12:58am

I wish they’d raid some over here in the US. Can you believe Total Fail Richard Fuld* actually thinks he can make a comeback?

German police raid Deutsche Bank headquarters in Frankfurt in connection with ongoing probe - @dpa, @Reuters
end of alert

* money.cnn.com

84 Lord Of The Pies  Jun 9, 2015 4:25:14am

Thanks for the promotion, Charles.

85 Dave In Austin  Jun 9, 2015 4:32:00am
86 goddamnedfrank  Jun 9, 2015 4:43:39am
87 Lord Of The Pies  Jun 9, 2015 5:12:57am

STUPIDEST TWEET OF THE DAY (of course it’s very early, there will be MOAR STUPIDS)

88 Timothy Watson  Jun 9, 2015 5:14:07am

I am in an absolutely foul mood right now. Remember how I was bitching about the lack of air conditioning at Virginia Commonwealth University last night? Still isn’t working and the oh-so-capable administration can’t be bothered to even send out an e-mail to students saying what the problem is or when it will be fixed.

89 Lord Of The Pies  Jun 9, 2015 5:21:01am

Somebody does not like that I found this old photo==>
LOL “You people”

90 Higgs Boson's Mate  Jun 9, 2015 5:22:50am

Yesterday it was 102° in my part of SoCal. Now it’s 75° and a light rain is falling.

91 Wendell Zurkowitz (slave to the waffle light)  Jun 9, 2015 5:23:50am

How the hell can you even compare the two?

He’s right: one incident involves a bigot using unjustified force against people because of race and the other, well,…YOU PEOPLE, HOW DARE YOU?!?

92 Higgs Boson's Mate  Jun 9, 2015 5:36:08am

re: #89 Lord Of The Pies

Somebody does not like that I found this old photo==>
LOL “You people”

The difference is that the left for the most part points to things that exist in reality; GCC, race prejudice, sustainability, as matters of concern. The right makes shit up; persecution of Christians, FEMA camps, gun confiscation, and then feels oppressed by them.

93 Wendell Zurkowitz (slave to the waffle light)  Jun 9, 2015 5:37:23am

re: #71 teleskiguy

RIP Johnny Winter. I’m thankful I was able to see the man play live.

Embedded Image

He died last year.

I am compiling a list of people I saw when they were still alive, not too extensive, but it would include

BB King
Warren Zevon
Earl Scruggs
pre-plane crash Lynrd Skynrd
Jerry Garcia
John Entwhistle of the Who

94 Unabogie  Jun 9, 2015 5:39:04am

re: #89 Lord Of The Pies

Checked his timeline. He seems nice.

95 Justanotherhuman  Jun 9, 2015 6:02:11am

Trying not to be a Ferguson, Baltimore or McKinney…

Charlotte City Council Passes Civil Liberties Resolution

wfae.org

Monday night, after hearing from members of the public, the Charlotte City Council passed a new civil liberties resolution. The vote was unanimous.

The resolution reaffirms the right of citizens to peacefully demonstrate and to record the police in action. And it bars the police from arbitrarily stopping and searching individuals unless the police have a clear and articulated reason for that search.

But at its heart is a ban on ‘arbitrary profiling’ of citizens. Jabril Hough spoke to the council on behalf of Charlotte’s Muslim community. “None of us should be profiled on the basis of our race, religion, country of origin, gender or for any political speech that we’re involved with.” More

96 ObserverArt  Jun 9, 2015 6:19:46am

re: #87 Lord Of The Pies

Not only is the tweet stupid, her background image at her page is even more stoopids!

Morning.

Also, I always wondered about Megyn Kelly, but didn’t know much about her because I run like the wind when I ever see FOX on. After the last two weeks, I have to ask…does she even have a brain or is that taken away when you sign a FOX contract for a big show?

I don’t know how anyone can do what FOX does. It’s got to be a turn your brain and soul off and read the script place. Zombie land.

97 Decatur Deb  Jun 9, 2015 6:22:53am

‘Morning, all.

For precision, muriatic acid is hydrochloric acid, but a a very weak solution (about 3% IIRC). It’s called that because it’s used in building a wall “murus”, to clean off mortar stains.

That reinforces the idea that the demonstrator who drank it knew his shit and thus defeated the manager who didn’t know shit.

98 Justanotherhuman  Jun 9, 2015 6:24:31am

Editor’s note: This morning, community leaders in Cleveland will take advantage of a little-used law found in Ohio and just a few other states that allows them to go directly to a judge to request charges be filed against the officers involved in the fatal shooting of 12-year-old Tamir Rice. They’ll hold a press conference explaining their action at 11 a.m. ET, which you can watch here. Also today, former House Speaker Dennis Hastert will appear in court to break a nearly two-week silence since his indictment on charges he lied to the FBI about illegally structured bank withdrawals sources say were used to cover up alleged sexual abuse. That’s at 3 pm ET. - Tricia
end of note

99 Great White Snark  Jun 9, 2015 6:32:13am

re: #90 Higgs Boson’s Mate

Feels very tropical.

100 Justanotherhuman  Jun 9, 2015 6:37:21am

GM CEO Mary Barra declines to comment on reports that the Justice Department is weighing a criminal charge in connection with ignition recall - @Reuters
end of alert

US weighs wire-fraud charge against General Motors stemming from failed recall, aims to reach settlement this year - @WSJbreakingnews
read more on wsj.com

101 Timothy Watson  Jun 9, 2015 6:37:53am

re: #100 Justanotherhuman

end of alert

read more on wsj.com

They ought to be sending people to prison.

102 Higgs Boson's Mate  Jun 9, 2015 6:51:01am

re: #99 Great White Snark

Feels very tropical.

Oh, heck yes. It’s raining again, not enough to cool things off though.

103 lawhawk  Jun 9, 2015 6:55:30am

re: #101 Timothy Watson

The problem is that a significant number of the cases were from pre-TARP and pre-bankruptcy GM, whose assets and liabilities are separate and distinct from new GM that emerged from bankruptcy.

Yes, the letterhead and insignia on the car is no different, but the liability is; and those involved in the decisions to bury the ignition switch problems may or may not be with the company still.

They’ve got big problems, and people should be going to prison over their negligence or willful refusal to address recalls (much as Takata is screwing all the companies that installed their airbags on their cars). Takata officials should be going to prison, and those at those companies who installed them on their cars, knowing there were issues should likewise be seeing the inside of a courtroom, but fines are about all we may see out of those two cases.

104 Justanotherhuman  Jun 9, 2015 6:57:43am

Things are getting worse in Ukraine, it seems.

Ukraine government says ‘gigantic’ fire erupts at petrol storage site near Kiev, several dead - @AFP

Black clouds loom over Kiev, Ukraine, where a huge blaze ripped through a fuel storage depot

instagram.com

105 Feline Fearless Leader  Jun 9, 2015 6:58:17am

Good morning Lizards. My annoying right wrist issue appears to be a case of tendonitis. Doing everything one-handed is annoying. And the default pain threshold is enough to affect sleeping and appetite.

Got a prescription for a stronger anti-inflammatory. Hopefully that brings things under control enough that I can sleep and am not semi-loopy all the time.

106 Rev_Arthur_Icantbreatheing  Jun 9, 2015 6:59:34am

re: #103 lawhawk

Isn’t Takata a Japanese company? Wouldn’t they fall under Japanese law? The vehicles affected were from all over the map. I’m sure there are a lot of people who’d love to get their hands on some Takata execs’ necks.

107 Timothy Watson  Jun 9, 2015 6:59:40am

re: #103 lawhawk

Personally, and I know it’s not the law, but I think they should be looking at a hundred or so second-degree (depraved heart) murder charges. And that applies to anyone who knew about the problem.

108 Rev_Arthur_Icantbreatheing  Jun 9, 2015 7:03:02am

re: #105 Feline Fearless Leader

Hope your hand gets better soon. I have had “tennis elbow” (although I don’t play tennis) for the past couple of weeks and it’s more of a nuisance, but still a nuisance I don’t like.

109 Lidane  Jun 9, 2015 7:03:34am

I just… I can’t. This assclown has a megachurch in Dallas with over 12,000 members:

There is nothing — zip, zilch, nada, bupkis — comparable between American Christians in 2015 and Jews in Nazi Germany. This offends me on an almost visceral level. What. The. FUCK.

110 Rev_Arthur_Icantbreatheing  Jun 9, 2015 7:04:57am

re: #109 Lidane

That look! WTF?

As to his comment …

111 Mattand  Jun 9, 2015 7:05:03am

re: #96 ObserverArt

Morning.

I think someone like Megyn Kelly is like Dr. Oz: they’re selling out. They know exactly what they’re doing, and don’t frigging care ‘cause the money’s too good.

Also, in both cases, you’re not really quite sure how much they buy into their ideology. Oz was a respected, talented surgeon who now pitches snake oil that, on some level, he should know is bullshit.

Kelly is a conservative who just tried to downplay a case of child molestation in the name of pushing the idiotic “American Christians are a persecuted majority.”

112 Lord Of The Pies  Jun 9, 2015 7:08:23am

re: #109 Lidane

*FACE PALM*

113 Mattand  Jun 9, 2015 7:08:33am

re: #109 Lidane

That fucking graphic, LOL: “Christians Under Attack”.

The only things separating William Randolph Hearst and Roger Ailies are time and technology.

114 HappyWarrior  Jun 9, 2015 7:10:19am

re: #109 Lidane

I am so sick of Christian fundamentalist assholes comparing their “plight” (Having to live in an America that allows SSM and treats LGBT people as equals rather than evil) to what the Jews of Nazi Germany and occupied Europe went through. And then these fuckers have the nerve to claim that they’re “friends” to the Jewish people. You’re not a friend at all when you equate a trivial annoyance, yes assholes not liking gay marriage is a trivial annoyance to mass genocide.

115 HappyWarrior  Jun 9, 2015 7:10:56am

re: #113 Mattand

That fucking graphic, LOL: “Christians Under Attack”.

Roger Ailes, the writer of the Willie Horton ad. Al Gore was right. Zebras can’t change their spots.

116 Justanotherhuman  Jun 9, 2015 7:11:05am

Spoiled, privileged white guys in Canada—“sovereign citizens”—aren’t any different than those in the US.

Edmonton police officer shot, killed while attempting to serve arrest warrant

news.nationalpost.com

This is just libertarianism writ full.

The Legal Gibberish of “Freeman on the Land”

skeptoid.com

117 Lord Of The Pies  Jun 9, 2015 7:11:12am

re: #114 HappyWarrior

They only “support Israel” as a proxy in their anti-Muslim Crusade.

118 SteelPH  Jun 9, 2015 7:12:35am

re: #117 Lord Of The Pies

They only “support Israel” as a proxy in their anti-Muslim Crusade.

And so it can be destroyed to fulfill their End Times fantasy.

119 Rev_Arthur_Icantbreatheing  Jun 9, 2015 7:13:02am

re: #109 Lidane

Oh, fuck, he’s the “new” guy at First Baptist Dallas! Man, that place has been a hotbed of fundamentalist fuckheadery for ages, dating back to W.A. Criswell.

Joel Gregory was the most famous flameout as pastor there.

120 HappyWarrior  Jun 9, 2015 7:13:08am

re: #117 Lord Of The Pies

They only “support Israel” as a proxy in their anti-Muslim Crusade.

I know. I am just saying. They forfeit any right call themselves friends of the Jewish people when they equate SSM and secularism to the horrors of the Holocaust. Whole families and villages wiped out. Oh poor Mr. Fundamentalist Bigot, he has to live in a country that allows same sex marriage. Well asshole, there were millions of Jewish people who lost their parents or children in the Holocaust.

121 HappyWarrior  Jun 9, 2015 7:13:42am

This is definitely a form of Holocaust denial.

122 Lord Of The Pies  Jun 9, 2015 7:15:18am

re: #121 HappyWarrior

This is definitely a form of Holocaust denial.

Also: co-opting the Holocaust for their gun-fucking memes.

123 HappyWarrior  Jun 9, 2015 7:15:31am

I sadly think increased support for LGBT rights is making these people fly off their nut handle even more. Kind of like how the Civil Rights movement inspired people like the scumbucket asshole at the top of our page here.

124 Feline Fearless Leader  Jun 9, 2015 7:15:39am

re: #108 Rev_Arthur_Icantbreatheing

One-handing everything is annoying. The chronic pain, even holding the wrist completely still, is having the greatest effect. Similar to a gout attack in some ways. And with the sleep issues I start having periods at night when I am only semi-lucid. And that is sort of scary as well.

125 Rev_Arthur_Icantbreatheing  Jun 9, 2015 7:16:27am

The best I can say about Jeffress’ position is that he didn’t build that megachurch. It was built by others, and he’s just the latest cherry on top of the shit cobbler.

126 HappyWarrior  Jun 9, 2015 7:16:35am

re: #122 Lord Of The Pies

Also: co-opting the Holocaust for their gun-fucking memes.

Yes, that is too.

127 Lord Of The Pies  Jun 9, 2015 7:17:57am

I should make a collection of all the idiotic memes that co-opt the Holocaust.

128 HappyWarrior  Jun 9, 2015 7:18:15am

re: #125 Rev_Arthur_Icantbreatheing

I read about megachurches and I just think about how different that brand of Christianity is than what my great uncle (a RCC priest) practiced. He had been a combat chaplain during the Battle of the Bulge and later was the parish priest for a predominately and quite poor African-American community in Louisiana. I never knew him but I think he’d be shocked at all these pastors who are worth millions. Christianity, a capitalistic industry.

129 HappyWarrior  Jun 9, 2015 7:19:50am

re: #127 Lord Of The Pies

I should make a collection of all the idiotic memes that co-opt the Holocaust.

I think you’d go nuts doing it because everything bit of social liberalism from more affordable health care to SSM has been quated with it, hell I remember when Beck was likening having empathy to the Nazis because you know placing yourself in another person’s shoes is what leads to mass genocide. Funny, I would have figured the total opposite but thanks for Professor I equate everything I dislike to the Nazis, I know better now.

130 The Very Reverend Battleaxe of Knowledge  Jun 9, 2015 7:20:40am

re: #114 HappyWarrior

This rises almost to a founding principle of our country, though. The Pilgrims came here to “escape religious persecution”. The religious persecution they were escaping? The fact that any (Trinitarian) Protestant sect was tolerated in England. The fact that people were allowed to follow any sect other than theirs constituted “persecution”. Not much has changed.

131 ObserverArt  Jun 9, 2015 7:21:45am

re: #109 Lidane

Elmer Gantry says what?

“We are being persecuted! Send money.”

132 HappyWarrior  Jun 9, 2015 7:22:43am

re: #130 The Very Reverend Battleaxe of Knowledge

Yeah the Puritans had more hostility towards Anglicanism than vice versa.

133 GlutenFreeJesus  Jun 9, 2015 7:24:46am

re: #45 Kragar

Spaceballs are real?!?

134 Kilroy01  Jun 9, 2015 7:26:34am

re: #130 The Very Reverend Battleaxe of Knowledge

England sent the religious nuts to the U.S. and the criminals to Australia. I think I know who got the better deal.

135 ObserverArt  Jun 9, 2015 7:27:27am

re: #113 Mattand

That fucking graphic, LOL: “Christians Under Attack”.

I get the feeling even Hearst would be embarrassed by Ailes. And damn, that would take a lot.

136 HappyWarrior  Jun 9, 2015 7:29:41am

I am honestly not sure what causes so much of our society to go on auto-pilot and equate so much to the Nazis. I think it’s because the American people, our civilians this is were not impacted by Nazi atrocities. We did not have even anything like the Battle of Britain in our backyard much less a systemtic removal of our people like what happened in France, the Netherlands, Poland, and other countries. Not sure but I think a lot of Americans while they know that the Nazis were certainly evil, they don’t know the full scope of it. As I said, you had whole families wiped out and whole villages destroyed. What’s truly sick about this new form of Holocaust denial to me anyhow is these guys are upset that they can’t discriminate against people.

137 andres  Jun 9, 2015 7:30:22am

re: #96 ObserverArt

Morning.

Like some sort of reverse Cybermen?

138 Wendell Zurkowitz (slave to the waffle light)  Jun 9, 2015 7:32:15am

re: #134 Kilroy01

America also got plenty of the latter in the form of indentured servants, but by then the religious fanatics were well established.

139 darthstar  Jun 9, 2015 7:33:59am

Good morning. Happy Holocaust Tuesday.

140 Rev_Arthur_Icantbreatheing  Jun 9, 2015 7:36:11am

re: #136 HappyWarrior

;)

141 ObserverArt  Jun 9, 2015 7:36:26am

Christian are being ‘persecuted’ for the benefit of keeping the church funded and the pastors and his family in nice cars, big houses, country clubs and jewelry.

Yeah, the churches drum up the drama. Works all the time.

Same for FOX. It isn’t news, its preaching, its evangelizing, and it too works.

And now it is also the method of the GOP.

If they were actual believers don’t they see themselves as under God’s graces and saved? How can those already saved and under grace be persecuted? Your all going to heaven anyway right?

142 Rev_Arthur_Icantbreatheing  Jun 9, 2015 7:39:08am

re: #141 ObserverArt

“11 “Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. 12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.”

paraphrased: “Don’t whinge when you don’t get your way, because you’ll be fine in the end.”

143 HappyWarrior  Jun 9, 2015 7:42:02am

re: #141 ObserverArt

Yeah, the churches drum up the drama. Works all the time.

Same for FOX. It isn’t news, its preaching, its evangelizing, and it too works.

And now it is also the method of the GOP.

They’re con-artists. “Christ” is just another product for them to sell whether it be real estate or chicken sandwiches.

144 Romantic Heretic  Jun 9, 2015 7:43:31am

re: #31 The Very Reverend Battleaxe of Knowledge

I’m going to be King and no one can stop me!

145 Wendell Zurkowitz (slave to the waffle light)  Jun 9, 2015 7:44:40am

re: #141 ObserverArt

Christianity used to be the unofficial state religion, public events were opened with Christian prayers and blessings; in effect, the state was being used as a tool to propagate the Christian faith.

Atheists and other non-Christian believers started challenging those practices and demanding that the state remain religiously neutral. But for the people who liked it better the old way, it is tanamount to being fed to the lions.

146 Justanotherhuman  Jun 9, 2015 7:45:01am

Woman who works in prison tailor shop as a civilian employee (along with 2 escapees) is considered a person of interest in escape of 2 killers from Dannemora.

147 Justanotherhuman  Jun 9, 2015 7:48:24am

Pretty stupid when you’d rather die than obey laws that make a society more civil.

148 Jenner7  Jun 9, 2015 7:49:52am

Oh FFS….

149 HappyWarrior  Jun 9, 2015 7:51:37am

re: #148 Jenner7

Oh FFS….

Because people bring shanks to pool parties. Riiiiiiiight Sean. Did your pal Hal Turner tell you that one?

150 Timothy Watson  Jun 9, 2015 7:53:04am

re: #147 Justanotherhuman

Have the conservatives figured out their position on this yet? Pro-police or pro-racist scumbag?

151 HappyWarrior  Jun 9, 2015 7:54:08am

Vincent Bugliosi died.

152 Romantic Heretic  Jun 9, 2015 7:54:40am

re: #92 Higgs Boson’s Mate

Well, most of the right regard themselves as the true heirs of The Founding Fathers who were persecuted for their beliefs. Therefore the right must be persecuted as well. Since they are suffering no real persecution they have to make some up.

It’s how delusional people think. If reality does not match beliefs reality is wrong.

153 JadeHelmCurious  Jun 9, 2015 7:55:23am

re: #150 Timothy Watson

Yes. Black kids don’t belong at pool parties.

154 HappyWarrior  Jun 9, 2015 7:56:19am

re: #153 BigPapa

Yes. Black kids don’t belong at pool parties.

This looks like it’s about another case in Canada.

155 Lord Of The Pies  Jun 9, 2015 7:56:33am

re: #148 Jenner7

Oh FFS….

Where was that girl hiding it? I just can’t even…

156 Dr. Matt  Jun 9, 2015 7:57:16am

re: #148 Jenner7

Sean Hannity is the same dipshit that praised Cliven Bundy and called him a patriot. Nuff said

157 HappyWarrior  Jun 9, 2015 7:58:01am

re: #156 Dr. Matt

And a buddy of a white supremacist- Hal Turner too.

158 Romantic Heretic  Jun 9, 2015 7:58:01am

re: #103 lawhawk

Corporation (n): An ingenious method of obtaining individual profit while avoiding individual responsibility.

Ambrose Bierce - The Devil’s Dictionary

159 Rev_Arthur_Icantbreatheing  Jun 9, 2015 8:01:46am

Of all the RWNJ hatemongers on TV, Hannity is the one who I find the stupidest. His arguments are completely insipid. His talking points insane. Every time he opens his mouth, it’s as if the collective IQ of humanity drops a few points.

160 Dr. Matt  Jun 9, 2015 8:03:11am

re: #159 Rev_Arthur_Icantbreatheing

If InSean Vannity didn’t have a TV show, he would be an internet troll.

161 Jenner7  Jun 9, 2015 8:04:20am

re: #149 HappyWarrior

The only threat the other cops saw was one of their own…

162 ObserverArt  Jun 9, 2015 8:05:09am

re: #142 Rev_Arthur_Icantbreatheing

Exactly.

And what the heck was the whole story of Jesus?

God’s son comes to man as a man, gets persecuted, hung on a cross, suffers, dies, reborn and taken to God’s side in heaven. If you believe then you too shall be saved.

I guess they are looking for the easy and completely without struggle and pain way to heaven. What bible is that in again?

Even atheists understand life is a struggle.

163 Romantic Heretic  Jun 9, 2015 8:05:16am

re: #130 The Very Reverend Battleaxe of Knowledge

Possibly the first American instance of confusing freedom with power.

Because, without exception, all the religious freedom crap spouted these days is actually about religious power.

164 ObserverArt  Jun 9, 2015 8:07:05am

re: #143 HappyWarrior

Which is the difference between a guy like the dude on Fox and your uncle you just posted about.

Later…gotta mow the lawn…nice day for it. Then off to lunch, the bank and some grocery shopping. See you all later.

165 HappyWarrior  Jun 9, 2015 8:08:54am

re: #163 Romantic Heretic

Possibly the first American instance of confusing freedom with power.

Yes whether it’s about discriminating against gay customers, denying women birth control coverage, etc. It’s about them wanting to impose their “religous freedom” on other people. No one’s trying to punish them for believing gay marriage should be illegal or that birth control is wrong but their jobs whether they be as bakers, florists, or as hobby suppliers have squatch to do with gay marriage or birth control. Not to mention Hobby Lobby was actually investing in birth control too.

166 Targetpractice  Jun 9, 2015 8:08:56am

re: #148 Jenner7

Oh FFS….

Yeah, imagine my surprise now that the narrative is turning to the idea that these kids were all a bunch of criminals looking to kill a cop. That’s why, if he’d shot one, it would be “self-defense.”

167 Rev_Arthur_Icantbreatheing  Jun 9, 2015 8:09:12am

Just been rewatching “Eyes On The Prize” and watched footage of Bull Connor’s attack on the marchers in Birmingham. Dogs and firehoses on kids and teenagers.

It’s like watching history … as I’m watching a repeat of it in our country today. (Connor even had some military-style vehicles patrolling the street).

168 Romantic Heretic  Jun 9, 2015 8:09:14am

re: #147 Justanotherhuman

It’s why I place ‘libertarians’ in the barbarian category. In the words of H. Beam Piper, “They don’t understand civilization and wouldn’t like it if they did.”

169 Justanotherhuman  Jun 9, 2015 8:09:48am

re: #160 Dr. Matt

If InSAean Vannity didn’t have a TV show, he would be an internet troll.

Another RWNJ who didn’t finish college. With no other skills except the gift of being a white male, was groomed to spout the rhetoric and given plenty of opportunities to do so. See, also Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh, among others.

170 HappyWarrior  Jun 9, 2015 8:10:41am

re: #164 ObserverArt

Right and it sadly seems that more and more supposed men of God are like the guy on Fox these days where religion is just another product.

171 William Lewis  Jun 9, 2015 8:13:28am

re: #162 ObserverArt

Exactly.

And what the heck was the whole story of Jesus?

Even atheists understand life is a struggle.

The actual teachings are that life is a hard thing because we, in our ignorance and hate make it a hard thing. If we live together, work together & love each other as we love ourselves then we can make it a better place and this was the example he tried to provide. Tikkun olam is a more modern Jewish way of expressing this idea as well.

The other thing to remember is that despite the way the gospels spun things it was Rome that was the persecutor and executioner in the days before the destruction of the Temple. That event would cause the worst of the rift between the followers of Jesus and the rest of the synagogues and would be reflected in the worst of the anti-Jewish attitudes in the later Christian writings.

172 GlutenFreeJesus  Jun 9, 2015 8:15:25am
173 HappyWarrior  Jun 9, 2015 8:17:01am

re: #172 GlutenFreeJesus

What a dick.

Rumsfeld: Democracy in Iraq unrealistic

And they wonder why we still “blame” Bush. Oh maybe because you guys invaded Iraq without a fucking plan what to do afterwards. I mean it’s nice that Saddam is gone but you fucked up big time.

174 Justanotherhuman  Jun 9, 2015 8:18:56am

Even the Baptists aren’t happy with Jeffress.

“There are probably some of you this morning who would, if you were honest, would say ‘Pastor, I wish I were more interested in spiritual things than I am…Pastor, I wished I loved God more than I do. Frankly I don’t love Him, I don’t think about Him very often.’ If that’s true for you this morning, may I suggest to you: the greatest thing you can do for your spiritual health, would be to take a large chunk of your assets, and give them to this campaign. Just slice off a big hunk of ‘em [as he slices with his hand, shown at left] and give them to this campaign.” Robert Jeffress “The Treasure Principle”, 4/11/10.

fbcjaxwatchdog.blogspot.com

How can someone be so obviously greedy and get people to do this?

175 Rev_Arthur_Icantbreatheing  Jun 9, 2015 8:19:10am

re: #172 GlutenFreeJesus

The documentary “Known Unknowns” where Errol Morris interviews Rumsfeld is weirdly satisfying to watch.

176 darthstar  Jun 9, 2015 8:19:58am

I think the McKinney police blew an opportunity to practice rolling out their SWAT gear. That would have made for some great PR YouTube videos.

177 Feline Fearless Leader  Jun 9, 2015 8:20:18am

re: #163 Romantic Heretic

Possibly the first American instance of confusing freedom with power.

It’s really about secular power. Religion is just the facade and justification it hides behind.

178 Rev_Arthur_Icantbreatheing  Jun 9, 2015 8:21:30am

re: #174 Justanotherhuman

Even the Baptists aren’t happy with Jeffress.

fbcjaxwatchdog.blogspot.com

How can someone be so obviously greedy and get people to do this?

“These are troubling times in the Southern Baptist Convention.

We are beginning to make the worst of the televangelists look, well, NORMAL!”

Where has this person been? I was in SBC seminary in the 1990s, and it was just as bad then. That’s why there was a huge schism with many of the “moderates” abandoning the denomination.

179 Romantic Heretic  Jun 9, 2015 8:21:40am

re: #162 ObserverArt

Exactly.

And what the heck was the whole story of Jesus?

Even atheists understand life is a struggle.

This is one of my biggest dislikes of the people currently claiming the mantle of conservative.

Yes, life is a struggle. That doesn’t mean you have to make the struggle harder. Struggle might make a person stronger. It might also destroy them. Too much struggle will definitely destroy a person.

If that’s what they want they’re allowed. It’s a free country. But they should be honest about their goals; which is to destroy individuals and their lives.

180 Justanotherhuman  Jun 9, 2015 8:21:42am

Watch Live: Community Leaders Hold News Conference on Tamir Rice

nbcnews.com

181 GlutenFreeJesus  Jun 9, 2015 8:22:12am

re: #173 HappyWarrior

I bet if you’d ask, the Iraqis would rather have Saddam than ISIS.

182 KerFuFFler  Jun 9, 2015 8:23:29am

re: #136 HappyWarrior

Let’s face it, WWII was so many decades ago that in spite of holocaust movies and documentaries many young people who were disengaged enough in their history classes have very little idea what occurred. My sister was flabbergasted a couple years ago by an ignorant woman in Tennessee who thought the holocaust was when “a bunch of people were forced to drink that cool-aide”.

183 Wendell Zurkowitz (slave to the waffle light)  Jun 9, 2015 8:23:41am

re: #179 Romantic Heretic

If that’s what they want they’re allowed. It’s a free country. But they should be honest about their goals; which is to enrich themselves by destroying individuals and their lives.

184 Targetpractice  Jun 9, 2015 8:25:49am

re: #172 GlutenFreeJesus

What a dick.

Rumsfeld: Democracy in Iraq unrealistic

An “admission” that comes 12 years after he found something wrong with the idea and conveniently timed to throw his old boss under the bus at a time when his legacy is again becoming a hazard for his party.

185 HappyWarrior  Jun 9, 2015 8:26:24am

re: #182 KerFuFFler

It’s not always “young” people though. This guy probably has a father or an uncle that fought in WWII. I understand what you’re saying though. There certainly is a lot of ignorance out tehre.

186 Higgs Boson's Mate  Jun 9, 2015 8:26:37am

re: #179 Romantic Heretic

Destroying people’s lives is not their intent. Those destroyed lives are just collateral damage from conservatives’ campaign to transfer every last thing of value in this country into the fewest possible hands.

187 Romantic Heretic  Jun 9, 2015 8:28:05am

re: #183 Wendell Zurkowitz (slave to the waffle light)

Much better. Thanks.

188 Justanotherhuman  Jun 9, 2015 8:31:13am

Sorry bastard.

Ex-FIFA executive Jack Warner allegedly diverted $750,000 in emergency funds meant for 2010 Haiti earthquake victims to bank accounts he controlled for ‘personal use’ - @guardian

theguardian.com

189 HappyWarrior  Jun 9, 2015 8:31:56am

re: #188 Justanotherhuman

Sorry bastard.

theguardian.com

Agh.

190 darthstar  Jun 9, 2015 8:32:48am

Walmart - active shooter - nobody even pays attention to these things anymore.

191 darthstar  Jun 9, 2015 8:34:27am

I’ll be back.

192 Dr. Matt  Jun 9, 2015 8:34:57am

re: #190 darthstar

Walmart - active shooter - nobody even pays attention to these things anymore.

How come the librul media hasn’t release the skin color of the shooter?!?!

193 HappyWarrior  Jun 9, 2015 8:35:33am

re: #191 darthstar

I’ll be back.

Oy.

194 Skip Intro  Jun 9, 2015 8:39:26am

re: #190 darthstar

Walmart - active shooter - nobody even pays attention to these things anymore.

Just the price we pay to defend ourselves against tyrants.

195 Dr. Matt  Jun 9, 2015 8:40:20am

re: #191 darthstar

Yes, M. Night Shyamalan got a hold of all the videos from McKinney and careful edited them to make the cops/angels look bad and the bikini-clad thugs look innocent. Clearly his “best work” since ‘After Earth’.

196 darthstar  Jun 9, 2015 8:41:02am

Sarah Palin goes on Hannity to criticize “the media” for interviewing the Duggar girls. She does know that Megyn Kelly is on Fox, right?

197 darthstar  Jun 9, 2015 8:41:39am

re: #194 Skip Intro

Just the price we pay to defend ourselves against tyrants.And high prices.

Edited for clarity.

198 Ace-o-aces  Jun 9, 2015 8:41:47am

re: #148 Jenner7

199 HappyWarrior  Jun 9, 2015 8:42:43am

re: #196 darthstar

She doesn’t realize that she is part of the media. So of course not.

200 Ace-o-aces  Jun 9, 2015 8:43:48am

re: #190 darthstar

201 darthstar  Jun 9, 2015 8:43:56am

All this for one guy with a knife?

202 urbanmeemaw  Jun 9, 2015 8:44:26am

re: #192 Dr. Matt

How come the librul media hasn’t release the skin color of the shooter?!?!

I’m assuming that since the suspect is in custody and not dead he/she is white.

203 Ace-o-aces  Jun 9, 2015 8:46:40am

re: #201 darthstar

All this for one guy with a knife?

We really need to start explaining the concept of “proportional use of force” to our police departments.

204 #FergusonFireside  Jun 9, 2015 8:49:16am

re: #167 Rev_Arthur_Icantbreatheing

I haven’t looked for this, but I betcha there was a huge population of whites saying that what Bull Connor did was legit. Those negroes should have just listened to the law.

205 Decatur Deb  Jun 9, 2015 8:49:56am

re: #175 Rev_Arthur_Icantbreatheing

Our staff agency worked close enough to Rumsfeld that we had classes on “Rummy’s Rules”. After that, we knew we were dealing with a nutcase.

amazon.com

206 b_sharp  Jun 9, 2015 8:58:26am

I can’t listen to Hannity’s voice without wanting to smack him in the face. I can’t listen to or read his words without wanting to rip his head off and stuff it up his ass, metaphorically speaking.

Thankfully, I can just ignore that ignorant asshole of a human.

207 Higgs Boson's Mate  Jun 9, 2015 9:00:30am

re: #205 Decatur Deb

amazon.com

Anyone who sends so many memos that they’re referred to as “snowflakes” is pretty flaky himself.

208 Eclectic Cyborg  Jun 9, 2015 9:03:27am

Is it possible some people become cops because they have deep seated grudges and anger and law enforcement provides them a great way to take them out on people with impunity?

209 Rev_Arthur_Icantbreatheing  Jun 9, 2015 9:04:28am

re: #208 Eclectic Cyborg

Is this a rhetorical question? ;)

210 Higgs Boson's Mate  Jun 9, 2015 9:05:28am

re: #208 Eclectic Cyborg

Long ago I knew a highly decorated LAPD officer. He said that the only difference between the cops and the people they busted was that the cops had badges.

211 Decatur Deb  Jun 9, 2015 9:06:45am

re: #207 Higgs Boson’s Mate

Thanks a shitload. After so many years I had forgotten ‘snowflakes’. (Actually, his perception of them is BS. Army staff had a tiny multi-sheet tracking form called a snowflake before he got SECDEF.)

212 Feline Fearless Leader  Jun 9, 2015 9:07:45am

re: #210 Higgs Boson’s Mate

This. I knew a few people majoring in criminal justice in college who were among the last people I ever wanted to see wearing a badge.

213 Great White Snark  Jun 9, 2015 9:18:27am

re: #201 darthstar

A guy with a handgun as per the story. But still…

214 A Cranky One  Jun 9, 2015 9:18:28am

re: #210 Higgs Boson’s Mate

Most of the cops I’ve known are true control freaks. Any questioning of their control was not tolerated. Thus we see things like the “foot tax” where suspects who run are punished, not for breaking the law, but for failure to acknowledge the officer’s authority.

The incident in McKinney was a wonderful demonstration of that thought process. Since everyone didn’t immediately defer to the cop and do what he wanted, he lost it and had to assert physical dominance and punishment for not following his orders. As the Bar Association noted, this was about him asserting his authority, not upholding the law.

Add to that the “us vs. them” mentality of a lot of cops and it’s not about serving and protecting the public. It’s all about maintaining their position of power.

215 Dr. Matt  Jun 9, 2015 9:18:56am

Rick Santorum finds only one voter waiting at Iowa campaign event, warns her about gay marriage

My reply:

216 wrenchwench  Jun 9, 2015 9:23:03am

Biologists can be into tattoos.

217 sagehen  Jun 9, 2015 9:23:27am

re: #208 Eclectic Cyborg

Some police departments specifically recruit veterans, don’t send them to the police academy, and never bother to mention that “protect and serve your community” is supposed to be a little different than “occupy the nation you’ve invaded”.

218 lawhawk  Jun 9, 2015 9:28:24am

re: #203 Ace-o-aces

They all appear to be from the Hicks school of force (nuke it from orbit, it’s the only way to be sure).

219 Lord Of The Pies  Jun 9, 2015 9:32:54am

LOL==>

220 lawhawk  Jun 9, 2015 9:36:40am

re: #219 Lord Of The Pies

221 HappyWarrior  Jun 9, 2015 9:38:23am

re: #216 wrenchwench

Biologists can be into tattoos.

Beautiful art work.

222 Eventual Carrion  Jun 9, 2015 9:39:38am

re: #219 Lord Of The Pies

LOL==>

You ride dinosaurs like Jesus did, not kill them. If people keep killing them they will go extinct.

223 HappyWarrior  Jun 9, 2015 9:39:49am

re: #217 sagehen

They really all need to be trained regardless of background. Being active duty is a different animal than being a police officer.

224 allegro  Jun 9, 2015 9:39:50am

re: #219 Lord Of The Pies

LOL==>

Oh dear. She’s actually serious?

225 HappyWarrior  Jun 9, 2015 9:40:37am

re: #215 Dr. Matt

My reply:

I guess they’re more drawn to Huckabee who manages to be an even bigger dick than Frothy about LGBT people having rights. And lol at his attempt to spin his shitty turnout.

226 lawhawk  Jun 9, 2015 9:42:41am

Good for a laugh if you aren’t one of those he’s talking about:

227 HappyWarrior  Jun 9, 2015 9:44:51am

re: #226 lawhawk

Good for a laugh if you aren’t one of those he’s talking about:

Lol okay Boehner if you say so. What a fucking joke.

228 lawhawk  Jun 9, 2015 9:45:10am
229 Justanotherhuman  Jun 9, 2015 9:46:25am

Well, looks like he’s in.

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush files initial paperwork to run for president, registers not-for-profit corporation called Jeb 2016 Inc. - @washingtonpost
end of alert

230 #FergusonFireside  Jun 9, 2015 9:46:35am

re: #213 Great White Snark

A guy with a handgun as per the story. But still…

They have to use their toys.

231 b_sharp  Jun 9, 2015 9:47:37am

re: #221 HappyWarrior

Beautiful art work.

Beautiful plumage.

232 Higgs Boson's Mate  Jun 9, 2015 9:48:02am

re: #226 lawhawk

Good for a laugh if you aren’t one of those he’s talking about:

As long as Republicans can categorize things that they did in their thirties and forties as “youthful indiscretions” I can only surmise that Boehner is referring to out of work, middle aged, hedge fund managers when expressing concern for “The plight of the young & unemployed.”

233 Targetpractice  Jun 9, 2015 9:48:03am

re: #226 lawhawk

Good for a laugh if you aren’t one of those he’s talking about:

Not to mention the jobs bill that economics said could have created up to 1 million new jobs that Boehner left to collect dust in his desk drawer for over a year.

234 Timothy Watson  Jun 9, 2015 9:48:04am

re: #224 allegro

Oh dear. She’s actually serious?

What’s worse, falling for an obvious fake meme or one that’s like two years old?

235 HappyWarrior  Jun 9, 2015 9:48:57am

re: #233 Targetpractice

or all the times they’ve spent trying to repeal ACA when they could be working on the president’s job bill. I don’t know if Boehner believes his own bullshit but this shit is sad.

236 lawhawk  Jun 9, 2015 9:48:58am

Meanwhile, the security theater at airports, which saw TSA agents fail 95% of the time to identify test items, was going to be discussed today in the Senate.

Guess what - the hearing had to be interrupted because of a phoned in security threat.

Oh, and the GOP is suggesting that the TSA be privatized. Because that’ll make the difference.

More expensive, just as BS when it comes to proper security, and even less accountability.

Just how much do you think someone getting paid minimum wage will care about their job if they can’t make ends meet? How much turnover? How much training/experience will they take and why does anyone think that private security will do as good or better job when private security has been awful in the past.

237 Timothy Watson  Jun 9, 2015 9:49:10am

re: #234 Timothy Watson

Correction, just less than a year:
usatoday.com

238 CuriousLurker  Jun 9, 2015 9:49:43am

LOL, I hadn’t seen this before. Judges on “The Voice of Italy” listen to a blind audition of a female singing an Alicia Keys song. When they turn around they see that the singer is a nun. Their reactions are priceless.

239 Higgs Boson's Mate  Jun 9, 2015 9:52:16am

re: #236 lawhawk

Privatization will whiz right through Congress as long as it includes a way to socialize the risk.

240 Eclectic Cyborg  Jun 9, 2015 9:52:39am

OT: If your office closes for lunch from 12-1, expect me to pissed off if I hear the “we are currently closed for lunch” recording when I call at 1145.

241 #FergusonFireside  Jun 9, 2015 9:53:05am

WW, for you.

Torrey Pines State Reserve, just north of La Jolla

242 Eclectic Cyborg  Jun 9, 2015 9:56:18am
electrocuted bird holding snake in talons

Sounds like an enemy from a fantasy game.

243 Backwoods_Sleuth  Jun 9, 2015 9:57:48am

re: #241 #FergusonFireside

Wildlife vs powerlines/transformers/substations are not uncommon. Common culprits are birds, squirrels, raccoons and snakes.
Humans trying to steal copper, too.
They all end up crisped.

244 wrenchwench  Jun 9, 2015 9:58:38am

re: #238 CuriousLurker

LOL, I hadn’t seen this before. Judges on “The Voice of Italy” listen to a blind audition of a female singing and Alicia Keys song. When they turn around they see that the singer is a nun. Their reactions are priceless. LOL

Video

Everybody knows that people who cover their hair have no talent! I can’t believe that one judge, ‘Are you a real nun?’ I like the other one, ‘If I had met you when I was a kid, I’d be Pope now!’

245 wrenchwench  Jun 9, 2015 10:00:34am

re: #241 #FergusonFireside

WW, for you.

Torrey Pines State Reserve, just north of La Jolla

I blame the snake!

246 Wendell Zurkowitz (slave to the waffle light)  Jun 9, 2015 10:02:35am

re: #245 wrenchwench

I blame the snake!

Where were that bird’s parents?

247 lawhawk  Jun 9, 2015 10:02:56am
248 Dr. Matt  Jun 9, 2015 10:03:05am

Texas radio host: Cops used force on pool party ‘jungle animals’ because whites were ‘scared to death’

Finally, we find a conservative not afraid to openly share his racist views with America.

249 Decatur Deb  Jun 9, 2015 10:05:27am

re: #238 CuriousLurker

The post-singing chatter is great. By coincidence, I was checking the apartment costs in my old ‘ville an hour ago. Must buy more FL lottery tickets.

250 klys (maker of Silmarils)  Jun 9, 2015 10:11:59am

‘Tis the morning for power outages. I too woke up to one. Thankfully the alarm clock has a battery backup. Unfortunately, I couldn’t remember how to turn it off and had to pull the batteries out to stop the alarm.

Internet is on its battery, so is the laptop, and hopefully the outage will not last too long. We had one on Saturday too, affected the same # of customers.

I can’t start the to do list item of “clean out the fridge” if I can’t open the fridge…

251 Eventual Carrion  Jun 9, 2015 10:13:17am

re: #236 lawhawk

Hope they made everyone coming into the meeting room take off their shoes, turn on and examine their laptops, make them throw away any liquid container holding more than 6 oz of liquid, walk through the x-ray machine …

252 makeitstop  Jun 9, 2015 10:14:05am

re: #250 klys (maker of Silmarils)

Was yours the ‘squirrel’ power outage?

253 Eventual Carrion  Jun 9, 2015 10:15:14am

re: #238 CuriousLurker

Would have been better if she had been singing I kissed a girl.

254 klys (maker of Silmarils)  Jun 9, 2015 10:15:18am

re: #252 makeitstop

Was yours the ‘squirrel’ power outage?

Nope.

Mine is far, far too small to make the news.

255 Backwoods_Sleuth  Jun 9, 2015 10:16:59am

re: #254 klys (maker of Silmarils)

Nope.

Mine is far, far too small to make the news.

This one?

Los Altos: Blown transformer causes outage affecting hundreds

256 klys (maker of Silmarils)  Jun 9, 2015 10:18:03am

This one?

Los Altos: Blown transformer causes outage affecting hundreds

Nope. Although that explains the orange section on the outage map.

When I say small, I am talking double digits of customers affected.

257 Backwoods_Sleuth  Jun 9, 2015 10:21:42am

re: #256 klys (maker of Silmarils)

OK.
In any event, make sure your AC and other high-load appliances are turned off/unplugged. Sometimes when the power comes back on, the sudden load on the system is too big and everything goes out again (and the possibility exists for damage to said appliances). Once the power is steadily back, you can safely turn everything on again.

258 calochortus  Jun 9, 2015 10:22:08am

re: #252 makeitstop

Was yours the ‘squirrel’ power outage?

We actually had one of those last year. Heard the bang. Saw the flash. DH went around back, and there, under the blown whatever-it-was, was the squirrel. Not surprisingly a male. I feel sure he asked his friends to hold his beer and watch…

259 Dave In Austin  Jun 9, 2015 10:27:44am

re: #245 wrenchwench

I blame the snake!

I blame electrical theory and a completed circuit….. Short that it may be.

260 klys (maker of Silmarils)  Jun 9, 2015 10:29:18am

Most things are off, since we were asleep when it went down. Only thing that should come up automagically is the fridge.

261 plansbandc  Jun 9, 2015 10:32:08am

re: #201 darthstar

All this for one guy with a knife?

This is exactly what the cops did to our neighbor’s house. We witnessed an army— complete with armored vehicles that looked like tanks, several huge black unmarked vehicles, automatic weapons, flash bang grenades, tear gas, and a ramming back hoe that tore the house to pieces. There was a swat team that was dressed in battle fatigues, 30-40 men.

This for a man who refused to come out of the house after a domestic disturbance call.

That house was the scene of many criminal complaints. The fact that the people are gone has improved our neighborhood considerably. The way in which they were “gotten gone” was appalling and terrifying.

262 Feline Fearless Leader  Jun 9, 2015 10:34:51am

re: #241 #FergusonFireside

WW, for you.

Torrey Pines State Reserve, just north of La Jolla

Must be a Mexican immigrant bird.

263 meteor  Jun 9, 2015 11:47:31am

re: #14 Kragar

Neverwinter is really good.

264 meteor  Jun 9, 2015 11:48:42am

You know, seeing the picture at the beginning of the story — sometimes I just want to pack all my stuff and go live on the Moon.

265 Eric The Fruit Bat  Jun 9, 2015 12:04:37pm

re: #118 SteelPH

Yep-that’s the little detail that no one dares to publicly air in front of them. Makes ya wonder why…..

266 CriticalDragon1177  Jun 9, 2015 7:43:33pm

Vicious Babushka,

Segregation at least, is technically illegal nowadays. You can’t put up a “whites only” sign ninety nine percent of the time now without risking getting sued.

267 CriticalDragon1177  Jun 9, 2015 7:46:58pm

Racism has never been a good thing. It keeps people from peacefully co existing as equals, as they ought to, and it has never lead to anything good. Just oppression, hatred and violence.

Stranger Things Season II Trailer The first trailer for Stranger Things 2 is here. It’s 1984 and the citizens of Hawkins, Indiana are still reeling from the horrors of the demogorgon and the secrets of Hawkins Lab. Will Byers has been rescued from the ...
‘Silent Coup’: Limbaugh Says ?!?! In an impassioned commentary, Rush Limbaugh said he believes the Washington establishment - both Democrats and Republicans - are involved in a "silent coup" against President Trump. Silent coup? Wrong and wrong. As silent as Rachael Maddow, Keith Olberman ...
Unshaken Defiance
Immigration: Focus LocallyIn these days of Trump and the Republicans attacking everything decent about America, it's too easy to focus on the immediate threat. Trump's Muslim band is back, but everyone is paying attention to the Republicans trying to steal our healthcare. ...
jhncsy
‘Submit to Your Husbands’: Women Told to Endure Domestic Violence in the Name of God (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) The culprits were obvious: it was the menopause or the devil. Who else could be blamed, Peter screamed at his wife in nightly tirades, for her alleged insubordination, for her stupidity, her lack of sexual pliability, her refusal to ...
Birth Control Works
West Virginia Families, Just Learning About Health-Care Access, Fear It Will Be Taken Away - Rewire In Vienna, West Virginia—just north of Parkersburg, along the Ohio River separating the two states—the only Planned Parenthood health center in the state sits among a scattering of gray and tan buildings beside the main road. A few days ...
Birth Control Works
Trump Election Commissioner Used Dubious Data to Allege an “Alien Invasion” - Mother Jones Election officials and experts say there’s plenty of reason to doubt those claims.But they could still provide a blueprint for Trump’s commission, which has so far hinted at tighter restrictions on voting in the name of cracking down on ...
Inside the Middle East’s First Rape & Domestic Violence Crisis Program For the last year and a half, there’s been a new sight in the Kingdom of Bahrain. Lodged into stacks of newspapers, stuck to mirrors in restaurant bathrooms, and pinned to grocery store notice boards are small, blue-and-white fliers ...
Birth Control Works
First Aid Kit - My Silver LiningFirst Aid Kit perform My Silver Lining at Glastonbury 2017
1 week ago
Jangada - Claudia Villela Quartet at Kuumbwa Jazz Jangada written by Claudia Villela, performed by the Claudia Villela Quartet at Kuumbwa Jazz, Santa Cruz, CA, April 15, 2013 Claudia Villela - vocals, piano, percussionCelso Alberti - drums/percussionJeff Buenz - guitarsGary Brown - bass videography by John Mountaudio ...
1 week ago
Should NYPD Lawyers Step in to Prosecute? Protestors Say No. NEW YORK (AP) -- Arminta Jeffryes was arrested while protesting police brutality. Then the police department played an unusual role in her court case. A New York Police Department lawyer stepped in to prosecute the jaywalking charge against her, ...
1 week ago