Apple Bails Out of GOP Convention Because Trump

The right decision

Apple CEO Tim Cook is making it clear that Apple won’t be lending their name or support to a convention with far right nationalist Donald Trump as the GOP nominee. Good for them! Other tech companies need to follow suit.

Apple has told Republican leaders it will not provide funding or other support for the party’s 2016 presidential convention, as it’s done in the past, citing Donald Trump’s controversial comments about women, immigrants and minorities.

Unlike Facebook, Google and Microsoft, which have all said they will provide some support to the GOP event in Cleveland next month, Apple decided against donating technology or cash to the effort, according to two sources familiar with the iPhone maker’s plans.

Apple’s political stand against Trump, communicated privately to Republicans, is a sign of the widening schism between Silicon Valley and the GOP’s bombastic presumptive nominee. Trump has trained his rhetorical fire on the entire tech industry, but he’s singled out Apple for particular criticism — calling for a boycott of the company’s products, and slamming CEO Tim Cook, over Apple’s stance on encryption.

The Very Reverend Battleaxe of Knowledge  Jun 18, 2016 • 8:02:01pm

Won’t make any difference. The sight of an Apple logo anywhere on TV still triggers a barrage of hate mail from right wing mouth-breathers, so they have to cover them up—and that’s from when they donated to the anti campaign on Prop 8 in 2008. (Google donated the same amount if not more, but that’s OK apparently.)

Kragar  Jun 18, 2016 • 8:08:13pm
gocart mozart  Jun 18, 2016 • 8:08:39pm
gocart mozart  Jun 18, 2016 • 8:09:55pm
gocart mozart  Jun 18, 2016 • 8:11:46pm
The Very Reverend Battleaxe of Knowledge  Jun 18, 2016 • 8:13:16pm

re: #5 gocart mozart

That’s Asta from The Thin Man—on a skateboard!

CuriousLurker  Jun 18, 2016 • 8:13:55pm

I can’t even… I’m gonna go read a book. *SIGH*

Reality Based Steve  Jun 18, 2016 • 8:14:10pm

re: #5 gocart mozart

First they came for the Skate Boarding, Cigar Smoking, Wine Drinking Scottish Terriers, and I didn’t speak up.

teleskiguy  Jun 18, 2016 • 8:14:27pm

Holy wow. I checked my TicketMaster account. I have 16 pairs of free concert tickets coming to me!

stpaulbear  Jun 18, 2016 • 8:16:07pm

re: #9 teleskiguy

How much do free tickets cost once Ticketmaster adds all their fees?

gocart mozart  Jun 18, 2016 • 8:16:19pm
gocart mozart  Jun 18, 2016 • 8:18:04pm

re: #7 CuriousLurker

The Very Reverend Battleaxe of Knowledge  Jun 18, 2016 • 8:19:46pm

re: #11 gocart mozart

I seriously wonder if tRump will agree to a debate. Sure, refusing would hurt him with reasonable voters—but reasonable voters weren’t going to vote for him anyway. The refusal would fire up his base and rob Hillary of positive exposure.

teleskiguy  Jun 18, 2016 • 8:21:07pm

re: #10 stpaulbear

How much do free tickets cost once Ticketmaster adds all their fees?

I’m not sure how this works. I know I won’t be able to get free Tool tickets ($125-$250). I only have three voucher codes out of the 17 that I am apparently eligible for (I know I said 16, now I have 17!).

gocart mozart  Jun 18, 2016 • 8:29:47pm
Teukka  Jun 18, 2016 • 8:31:13pm

re: #15 gocart mozart

*headdesk*
Please tell me this is a satire account or comedian?

gocart mozart  Jun 18, 2016 • 8:31:32pm

Yeah, I can see him try to weasel out of debates/make up some excuse.

Teukka  Jun 18, 2016 • 8:32:56pm

In other news, I’m hearing chatter that Wikileaks has dropped an “insurance” file in preparation for something rumored to be “big.”

MichaelJ  Jun 18, 2016 • 8:33:24pm
Other tech firms, including Facebook, Google and Microsoft are reportedly participating in the convention in some form or another, with Google set to provide a live stream of the event (despite protests), Microsoft contributing tablets and cloud storage and Facebook planning a presence including a lounge of some kind. None of the companies responded to a request for comment.

Link

gocart mozart  Jun 18, 2016 • 8:34:31pm

re: #16 Teukka

All my tweets in this thread are from the same twitter feed so I’m guessing joke. twitter.com

teleskiguy  Jun 18, 2016 • 8:35:10pm
gocart mozart  Jun 18, 2016 • 8:43:41pm
Reality Based Steve  Jun 18, 2016 • 8:43:50pm

I’m off to bed. I’m doing a ‘Come Dive For Fun’ day tomorrow, nothing to do with the shop (officially). Looks like some good folks will be showing up during the day to get their dive on.

I’m going to do some training dives with a buddy, prepping and refining skills for an upcoming advanced certification class we’re both doing in July.

Dear GOP…. Please just keep on doing exactly what you’re doing. Thank You.

RBS

Charles Johnson  Jun 18, 2016 • 8:45:07pm

re: #18 Teukka

Fuck Wikileaks.

GlutenFreeJesus  Jun 18, 2016 • 8:46:03pm

So. The Conjuring 2 was actually quite decent. Nite! If I can sleep…

Dark_Falcon  Jun 18, 2016 • 8:46:23pm

Fuck Wikileaks.

Fuck Assange sideways.

Teukka  Jun 18, 2016 • 8:46:37pm

Fuck Wikileaks.

Not with a 10’ pole… Or 11’ Lithuanian…

gocart mozart  Jun 18, 2016 • 8:47:44pm
gocart mozart  Jun 18, 2016 • 8:50:12pm
teleskiguy  Jun 18, 2016 • 8:51:50pm

It’s almost 9 o’clock in Phoenix and it’s still 106° F.

Kragar  Jun 18, 2016 • 8:55:33pm
The Very Reverend Battleaxe of Knowledge  Jun 18, 2016 • 8:56:21pm

Philly Orlando shooting survivor Patience Carter now fighting off conspiracy theorists

….Carter also thanked “skeptics” who believe she wasn’t at the shooting and claim she is posing as a “crisis actor” for Fox 29. “It’s your outrageous insensitivity that makes me want to heal even faster, and grow even stronger,” she wrote….

Dark_Falcon  Jun 18, 2016 • 8:57:04pm

re: #31 Kragar

No one deserves failure more than the Nuge.

Kragar  Jun 18, 2016 • 8:58:48pm

re: #33 Dark_Falcon

The Very Reverend Battleaxe of Knowledge  Jun 18, 2016 • 8:59:26pm
Dark_Falcon  Jun 18, 2016 • 9:00:59pm

re: #32 The Very Reverend Battleaxe of Knowledge

Horrible. These fuckers now don’t even wait for the dead to be buried before they start in with their shit. What’s next? Exhuming those killed in an effort to ‘prove’ that the people who were killed aren’t really who they were said to be?

stpaulbear  Jun 18, 2016 • 9:01:22pm

re: #33 Dark_Falcon

No one deserves failure more than the Nuge.

Oh, I’d say that Donald Trump, Paul Ryan, Mitch McConnell and Ted Cruz deserve failure more than Nuge.

teleskiguy  Jun 18, 2016 • 9:02:32pm

re: #33 Dark_Falcon

No one deserves failure more than the Nuge.

Not even Hitlery?!?

electrotek  Jun 18, 2016 • 9:03:23pm

Did anyone catch what the French ambassador said about Islam the other day?

teleskiguy  Jun 18, 2016 • 9:05:44pm
gocart mozart  Jun 18, 2016 • 9:06:57pm

re: #32 The Very Reverend Battleaxe of Knowledge

RAW VIDEO: Patience Carter recalls Orlando shooting massacre

Shimshon  Jun 18, 2016 • 9:08:48pm

What happened to free speach?

Shimshon  Jun 18, 2016 • 9:10:17pm

re: #39 electrotek

Did anyone catch what the French ambassador said about Islam the other day?

Muslims are getting elected as politicians in western countries and changing laws to force everyone to follow their rules? Oh wait, that’s Christians.

teleskiguy  Jun 18, 2016 • 9:10:20pm

re: #42 Shimshon

What happened to free speach?

It got its blue check mark taken away. So the tyrannical forces are nigh! This calls for the

Kragar  Jun 18, 2016 • 9:11:20pm

re: #44 teleskiguy

DEPLOY MEAL TEAM 6!

The Very Reverend Battleaxe of Knowledge  Jun 18, 2016 • 9:13:18pm

re: #44 teleskiguy

Or The Red State Trike Force:

KingKenrod  Jun 18, 2016 • 9:14:38pm

Paypal is getting really pushy with their Paypal Credit.

I was making a payment and declined starting the “Paypal Credit” account that they always pitch. But on the confirm page, the credit box was checked instead of the bank transfer that I always use…gotta watch those bastards.

The Very Reverend Battleaxe of Knowledge  Jun 18, 2016 • 9:16:55pm

re: #47 KingKenrod

Paypal is getting really pushy with their Paypal Credit.

Last time I updated Flash, either I forgot to change the checkmark to “Notify Me to Update” or they’re ignoring it now, because I just got “updated” surreptitiously.

gocart mozart  Jun 18, 2016 • 9:21:44pm
MsJ  Jun 18, 2016 • 9:29:50pm

re: #47 KingKenrod

Paypal is getting really pushy with their Paypal Credit.

You can’t un-default it, either. I change my payment method almost all the time.

meteor  Jun 19, 2016 • 2:14:43pm

re: #9 teleskiguy

O hai. Do you like metal, by any chance?

teleskiguy  Jun 19, 2016 • 3:59:06pm

re: #51 meteor

O hai. Do you like metal, by any chance?

I <3 Metal! I’m one a handful of folks that has seen Sepultura, Slipknot and Slayer at Red Rocks (yes, this was one show). I have two words to describe that situation, human avalanche. Very crazy.

Great Video by Kurzgesagt - Are GMOs Good or Bad? Genetic Engineering & Our FoodThere has been a lot of debate recently about GMOs. Although some of it maybe valid, most of the criticism and fear, appears to be based on false information about the practice of genetically modifying crops, the effects of such ...
CriticalDragon1177
1 hour, 22 minutes ago
Caramelized Apple-Pecan Cake Recipe - NYT Cooking Ingredients 1 stick (4 ounces) soft unsalted butter ¾ cup pecan halves 2 large tart apples, like Fuji, peeled, cored and sliced ½ cup flour ¾ teaspoon baking powder 1 teaspoon salt 1 ¾ cups sugar 3 large eggs ...
The Vicious Babushka
Someone Threw a Bible and Rocks Through the Glass Doors of a Mosque in Colorado Just another day in Trumpmerica. Surveillance footage from about 4 a.m. Sunday shows a man in a hooded sweatshirt unsuccessfully attempting to break into the Islamic center. He can then be seen throwing cinderblocks against the mosque’s glass doors, ...
Tarkloon
Tuffs Not Enuff PageThe tools of economics, science and law applied to well-known public policy issues. Where the Alt-Right and other interests sell doubt, we do what we can to construct sharp problem definitions and reach equally sharp conclusions. Evidence matters.
tuffsnotenuff
No, My Right to Abortion Did Not Cost Hillary the Election Yesterday, New York Times op-ed contributor and religious professor Thomas Groome popped up as the latest in a long line of bros getting it wrong at our newspaper of record about what cost Hillary the election. His take? Trump ...
Birth Control Works
The Fred Rogers Company Statement Regarding Federal Funding for Public Broadcasting For more than two generations of Americans, The Fred Rogers Company has partnered with CPB and PBS to share what Fred Rogers called an “expression of care” for children and families through broadcast and digital media as well as ...
Birth Control Works
What’s Missing in Our Coverage of South Sudan’s Civil War In South Sudan, a civil war has now entered its fourth year of tearing open ethnic divisions and displacing millions. Since its onset in 2013, the conflict has threatened to pave a path to genocide and has led to ...
Birth Control Works
Faux-Science- -Inside the Academic Journal That Corporations Love - Pacific Standard A recent lawsuit against Monsanto offers a clear and troubling view into industry strategies that warp research for corporate gain. In a lawsuit regarding the possible carcinogenicity of the pesticide Roundup, plaintiffs’ lawyers suing Monsanto charge the company with ...
Birth Control Works
Cowboy Cookies Recipe - NYT Cooking Ingredients 3 cups all-purpose flour 1 tablespoon baking powder 1 tablespoon baking soda 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon 1 teaspoon salt 1 ½ cups (3 sticks) butter, at room temperature 1 ½ cups granulated sugar 1 ½ cups packed light-brown ...
The Vicious Babushka
Foreigners Behind California Breakup Effortssalon.com Two Brexit British operators hired to promote Cali-Divorce, Russia behind efforts on both Left and Right to break apart California. This is consistent with higher ups in the Russian Government and Military publicly stating their desire to break apart ...
Rocky-in-Connecticut