A Creepy Horror Short: You Are Awake

You’re scared of waking, and you should be
Arts • Views: 33,260

Vimeo

Directed and photographed by Pedro Martín-Calero
Written by Daniel Remón, Joe Rosen and Pedro Martín-Calero

Edited by Sacha Szwarc
Music by Olivier Arson
Art direction and costume by Jose Tirado
Executive Producer Paul Weston
Produced by Joao Daponte and Corin Taylor
Produced by Colonel Blimp

Charles Johnson  Jun 19, 2016 • 5:42:34pm

Instagram

Made over the course of four hours, this Milky Way time-lapse by Japanese art director Yoichi Takanashi (@yoichi0607) is our final pick for The Week on Instagram. Yoichi says he is fascinated by the brief window of time we have to view our own universe.
Video by @yoichi0607

Eric The Fruit Bat  Jun 19, 2016 • 5:44:55pm

Scott Adams shows just how much of a douchecanoe he really is:

Un-Hypnotizing a Rabid Anti-Trumper

When you encounter a rabid anti-Trumper, ask her what are the biggest concerns of a potential Trump presidency.

If “Supreme Court nominee” is one of the top objections, discontinue your persuasion for ethical reasons. This person has put some thought into the decision and has a legitimate opinion that is at least partly based on reason. I don’t recommend changing that person’s mind.

But if a person’s main objections to Trump include any the following four reasons, I would consider it ethical to apply persuasion.

Objection 1: Trump is a loose cannon who might offend other countries and maybe even start a nuclear war.

Objection 2: Trump is terrible at business because he has several bankruptcies.

Objection 3: Trump is a racist.

Objection 4: Trump is anti-women and anti-LGBT

Note: I endorsed Hillary Clinton for my personal safety, because I live in California. But my political views do not align with any of the candidates for president.

Personally, I would do better under a Clinton presidency. If Clinton gets elected, no one will blame me for anything she does in office. But if Trump wins, my blogging about his persuasion skills will make it look like my fault every time he does something you don’t like. I don’t need that trouble.

Also, as a top one-percenter, I’m winning under the current system. Trump is the only candidate who has the persuasion skills to increase tax rates on the rich, so #imwithher, for selfish reasons.

stpaulbear  Jun 19, 2016 • 5:49:05pm

re: #2 Eric The Fruit Bat

“If any of those four objections are behind an anti-Trumper’s opinion, you have ethical license to persuade, so long as you are sticking to facts and adding context. I’ll show you how to do that with each objection.”

Doesn’t “sticking to facts” make those conversations rather brief?

I Would Prefer Not To  Jun 19, 2016 • 5:50:06pm

Quick question. Is the creepier than the RNC?

William Lewis  Jun 19, 2016 • 5:50:32pm

Quick question - how do I post a Facebook video? A teen girl at my church wrote a simple but heartfelt song about Orlando and I’d like to page it. I do very little with my facebook account and am not sure about it here.

Skip Intro  Jun 19, 2016 • 5:51:56pm

Since our drought is fake, I wish Trump would “open the water” and give us a break out here.

BeachDem  Jun 19, 2016 • 5:52:12pm

re: #2 Eric The Fruit Bat

Scott Adams shows just how much of a douchecanoe he really is:

Talk about delusions of grandeur adequacy.

Tigger2  Jun 19, 2016 • 5:52:20pm
Anymouse  Jun 19, 2016 • 5:53:18pm

re: #3 stpaulbear

Doesn’t “sticking to facts” make those conversations rather brief?

Facts have a well-known liberal bias. - Stephen Cobert

Charles Johnson  Jun 19, 2016 • 5:53:34pm

re: #5 William Lewis

BlackPearl  Jun 19, 2016 • 5:55:44pm

Thanks for the Post-Modern Jukebox videos - those were neat. I am reminded of this (sorry no video, just music), guaranteed to fill the dance floor in any goth club from the early 00s on… Battery - Gangsta’s Paradise

Lidane  Jun 19, 2016 • 5:58:10pm

This election has driven 538 to find some odd ways to kill time:

William Lewis  Jun 19, 2016 • 5:59:05pm

Thank you Charles, both for the coding and the pointer.

SteelPH  Jun 19, 2016 • 6:01:18pm

FACEPALM

World’s Largest ‘Fart-In’ Is Planned for Hillary Clinton’s Acceptance Speech in Philadelphia

Wonder how many will soil themselves in the process.

Anymouse  Jun 19, 2016 • 6:01:49pm

FACEPALM

I have a better idea. Why don’t they offer beans to Cruz and Kasich delegates for Mr. Trump? He’s the fascist, not Mrs. Clinton.

I Would Prefer Not To  Jun 19, 2016 • 6:03:52pm

OK it’s creepy, but not as creepy as Father’s day at the Trump household. Or should I see Fuher’s day?

Dark_Falcon  Jun 19, 2016 • 6:04:35pm

FACEPALM

My God: When the methane gas from all those farts hits the Berning Stupid being emitted by other protesters, the result will be a full-on firestorm! Like a thermobaric weapon!

I do hope that the convention center is fitted with overpressure and a robust exterior fire-suppression system.

//////////////////////

Backwoods_Sleuth  Jun 19, 2016 • 6:07:28pm
Backwoods_Sleuth  Jun 19, 2016 • 6:08:32pm

FACEPALM

majii  Jun 19, 2016 • 6:10:10pm

re: #2 Eric The Fruit Bat

That approach will work about as well as one of my SIL’s approach in defending Palin did in 2008. She and her family had been invited to dinner at my home when she had the nerve to praise Palin in my presence. I wasted no time telling her that Palin was an unhinged ding-bat and why I think she is one. That ended that conversation and it was never brought up in my presence again from that day to this. It also didn’t help that my brother, her husband, and everyone else at the table agreed that all Palin was was a GOP attack droid who couldn’t back up anything she said when she was attacking then-Sen. Obama.

Ziggy_TARDIS  Jun 19, 2016 • 6:10:37pm

re: #15 SteelPH

It’s a mass-nugenting!

Great White Snark  Jun 19, 2016 • 6:11:04pm

I love a great thriller. So much story and intensity with absolutely so little. Nothing fancy in effects. A good voice over, an ordinary looking fellow in an ordinary room. And you heart start to beat faster anyway…

Dark_Falcon  Jun 19, 2016 • 6:12:23pm

re: #22 Ziggy_TARDIS

It’s a mass-nugenting!

Also the perfect event for the Rage Furby to cover in his ‘Award-Winning Journalist’ persona: He can poop on the ground and he’ll fit right in.

Charles Johnson  Jun 19, 2016 • 6:14:32pm

Instagram

It takes vigilance to catch a cat and mouse scenario play out in real life. This split-second photo from John McDonnell (@j_macpost) is our third featured pick for The Week on Instagram.
Photo by @j_macpost

Tigger2  Jun 19, 2016 • 6:14:47pm

FACEPALM

Bernie and some of his supporters have always been full of hot air now they just plan on making it stink.

Charles Johnson  Jun 19, 2016 • 6:16:55pm

Instagram

Australian photographer Luke Shadbolt has traveled the world chasing waves for the past five years, most recently seeking out the most violent ones he could find. The result: Shadbolt’s otherworldly series, Maelstrom, a term that refers to a powerful whirlpool but can also be used to describe a state of chaos or turmoil. This photograph, titled Maelstrom 1, 2016, depicts a wave that can tower between three to five stories. It has the power to “literally tear people apart,” Shadbolt tells TIME. “It’s truly one of the most chaotic instances of the ocean anyone could ever witness.” See more photos on time.com.

Photograph by Luke Shadbolt (@lukeshadbolt). #sea #waves #ocean #nature #🌊

Anymouse  Jun 19, 2016 • 6:16:59pm

FACEPALM

Gaa. My comment on the Truthdig article:

James • a minute ago

Wow. Keep it classy. How about instead offering beans to Senator
Cruz’s delegates in Cleveland? Trump is the fascist, not Clinton.

I don’t suppose cans of beans would be worthwhile to a food bank instead
of a juvenile protest worthy of elementary school. No? Geez, I supported
Senator Sanders in my state caucus, Mr. Sanders lost the primary
election, now its time to keep the Velveeta Raccoon away from the levers
of power and the Supreme Court.

Part of my family died fighting fascism. I won’t see fascism elected here.

(I am the original James on Disqus. Accept no fraudulent and dangerous substitutes.)

stpaulbear  Jun 19, 2016 • 6:20:36pm

Dark, did you see this story that Anymouse brought up in the last thread?

Dark_Falcon  Jun 19, 2016 • 6:24:31pm

re: #29 stpaulbear

Dark, did you see this story that Anymouse brought up in the last thread?

No, I had not.

Backwoods_Sleuth  Jun 19, 2016 • 6:24:46pm

Fierce kitteh is fierce…

Backwoods_Sleuth  Jun 19, 2016 • 6:29:01pm

sigh…

DALLASTOWN, Pa. (AP) — A pastor is decrying an angry phone message and social media posting from a school board member who’s also a Republican convention delegate about a church sign that reads: “Wishing a blessed Ramadan to our Muslim neighbors.”

The Rev. Christopher Rodkey said he got a call June 11 about the sign outside St. Paul’s United Church of Christ, in Dallastown, Pennsylvania, from an unidentified man who called the sign “despicable” and referred to Islam as a “godless” and “pagan” religion.

Rodkey said he looked up the caller’s number and found it belonged to Matthew Jansen, a member of the Spring Grove Area School District and an elected delegate to the Republican National Convention who supports Donald Trump.

A photo of the sign was also posted on Jansen’s Twitter page along with the church’s phone number. Rodkey said he received a number of hang-up calls, prompting the church to disconnect the phone and answering machine, and was still getting calls five days later.

Reality Based Steve  Jun 19, 2016 • 6:31:45pm

That’s an incredible picture.

Just a side observation, it reminds me of Trump Hair™

Anymouse  Jun 19, 2016 • 6:32:06pm

Unfortunately, if Mr. Trump loses the election, the people he’s spun up will not go away. He has done decades worth of damage to civility in the body politic.

William Lewis  Jun 19, 2016 • 6:37:02pm

Oy, Chekov (the young one) is dead.

‘Star Trek’ actor Anton Yelchin dies in fatal car accident at age 27

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Anton Yelchin, a rising actor best known for playing Chekov in the new “Star Trek” films, was killed by his own car as it rolled backward down his driveway early Sunday, police and his publicist said.
The car pinned Yelchin, 27, against a brick mailbox pillar and a security fence at his home in Studio City, according to Los Angeles police Officer Jenny Hosier. He had gotten out of the vehicle momentarily, but police did not say why he was behind it when it started rolling.

Yelchin was on his way to meet friends for a rehearsal, Hosier said. When he didn’t show up, the group came to his home and found him dead.

The freak accident tragically cuts short the promising career of an actor whom audiences were still getting to know.

msn.com

majii  Jun 19, 2016 • 6:42:33pm

Some would rather profile than get to know the persons they’re intent on profiling.

Teukka  Jun 19, 2016 • 10:36:04pm

re: #15 SteelPH

Wonder how many will soil themselves in the process.

Song Related:

Donnie Baker ★ 25 It Was A Shart ★ My Job Sucks

North Carolina Televangelist Indicted on Charges of Tax Crimes Coontz, 50, is described on his website as a "pastor, evangelist, television host, author, humanitarian, philanthropist, businessman." "a 2011 BMW, a 2011 Regal 2500 boat, a 2012 BMW convertible, a 2011 Lexus, a 2011 Land Rover, a 2006 Ferrari, ...
Tarkloon
Isaac Asimov’s Best Arguments of All Time, Part One ➤ #Subscribe: goo.gl➤ Facebook: goo.gl➤ Twitter: goo.gl➤ Google+ : goo.gl➤ Site: goo.gl➤ Thanks for watching :) #Sciencetoday is channel uses for #education, #teaching, #review, #commentary, or research... If you have any issues with content, please contact us, for an ...
Tarkloon
AWOLNATION - Hollow Moon (Bad Wolf) (Official Video) AWOLNATION's official video for "Hollow Moon (Bad Wolf)". Watch the new AWOLNATION video Run (Beautiful Things) - From AWOLNATION’s new album, ‘RUN’, available now at:iTunes - smarturl.it CDs, Vinyl + Bundles - smarturl.itGoogle Play - smarturl.it Stream ‘RUN’ on ...
Tarkloon
Judge Fines Kris Kobach $1K for Misleading Court on Materials He Brought to Trump Meeting Just another GOP liar, it's all they know how to do. WICHITA — A judge has fined Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach $1,000 for misleading the court about the contents of materials he was photographed taking into a ...
Tarkloon
Bernie and Jane Sanders, Under FBI Investigation for Bank Fraud, Hire Lawyers Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., and his wife, Jane Sanders have hired prominent defense attorneys amid an FBI investigation into a loan Jane Sanders obtained to expand Burlington College while she was its president, CBS News confirms. Politico Magazine first ...
Tarkloon
Illinois Bishop Decrees No Communion, Funeral Rites for Same-Sex Spouses : The Two-Way : NPR A Catholic bishop has instructed priests in his central Illinois diocese to deny communion, last rites and funeral rites to people in same-sex marriages – unless they repent. In the decree he sent to priests, deacons, seminarians and staff ...
Birth Control Works
Tank and the Bangas - ‘Boxes and Squares’ (Live at WFUV) wfuv.org • Follow @wfuv: ow.ly Tank and The Bangas performs "Boxes and Squares" live in Studio A. Recorded 4.25.17. Host: Rita HoustonAudio: Chris RussoCameras: Brian Gallagher, Joanna LaPorte, Jiyoon Seo & Ashton Kim Editor: Joanna LaPorte & Brian Gallagher ...
Tarkloon
Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks - ‘I’ve Got Rhythm’ (Live at the Cutting Room)wfuv.org • Follow @wfuv: ow.ly Vince Giordano and The Nighthawks performs "I've Got Rhythm" live at The Cutting Room. Recorded 3/22/17. Host:Audio: David SchnirmanCameras: Sabrina Sitton, Michael Sperling and Joanna LaPorteEditor: Joanna LaPorte
Tarkloon
Jupiter: Juno Perijove 06 NASA / SwRI / MSSS / Gerald Eichstädt / Seán Doran Original video: Free 125 megapixel Jupiter Print Portrait: flic.kr Follow my Twitter for updates: @_TheSeaning More Jupiter here: flic.kr More stuff here: flickr.com Music by Ligeti Soundtrack: amazon.com ...
Tarkloon
Violent Footage Shows White Cop Kneeing and Punching Asian Man Seconds After Pulling Him Over In graphic police dashcam video of a July 2016 traffic stop in Worthington, MN, obtained and released by the ACLU of Minnesota on Thursday, a white officer can be seen kneeing and punching Anthony Promvongsa, a Laotian-American man, moments ...
Unshaken Defiance