So Long, Gawker

I won’t be grieving
Internet • Views: 39,118

Well, it’s the end of an era, but the mourning isn’t going to be universal. Gawker.com to End Operations Next Week.

I have decidedly mixed feelings about this; I believe Gawker has done some good work and exposed some things that needed exposing, and I really dislike the idea that a billionaire can secretly fund lawsuits to destroy his personal enemies.

On the other hand, I’m one of those people who was viciously smeared by Gawker’s editor John Cook, who egregiously mischaracterized Little Green Footballs as a site that promoted “the notion that all Muslims everywhere want to kill white Americans.” While I do take responsibility for sometimes going overboard in my critiques of radical Islam in the earlier days of LGF, this portrayal is and was simply false.

Cook also wrote that LGF encouraged neo-Nazis — and that too was a false and libelous accusation, since that kind of person was absolutely never welcomed here, and in fact if anyone ever showed sympathy for this kind of garbage in our comments they were immediately banned for life, as was anyone who advocated genocide or mass deportations, or used any kind of racist rhetoric.

Some of the criticism of the early days of LGF was fair and warranted (and some of it wasn’t); I don’t argue this point. But the Gawker piece was nothing but an unfair hit job, and it was published after I had publicly renounced the right wing.

That public renunciation came at great personal cost, since the entire right wing blogosphere turned against me and I was targeted for non-stop harassment and personal attacks. This wasn’t something I did casually; I renounced the right because I simply could not stand to be associated with attitudes and positions that were becoming more and more extreme.

I’m not asking for sympathy. I knew exactly what would happen when I made the break and accepted it as part of the cost of doing what I knew to be the right thing. But to have a site like Gawker with its large readership join in on these attacks felt a lot like being stabbed in the back.

And that, dear friends, is why I’m neither celebrating nor grieving over the demise of Gawker. They did some good work, but they also had a sort of mean-spirited sanctimonious pettiness that alienated not just me, but many people.

Eclectic Cyborg  Aug 18, 2016 • 11:58:14am

CCJ gloating coming in 3…2…1…

lawhawk  Aug 18, 2016 • 11:58:30am

So long Gawker, and thanks for all the fish.

As I posted downstairs, Gawker had some good writers, some awful editorial policies, and it was destroyed by a billionaire with a vendetta. Welcome to 21st Century journalism.

coin operated  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:00:43pm

There’s a part of me that wishes it would have survived long enough to clean CCJ’s clock, but other than that….

Nyet  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:01:45pm

Good riddance.

blueraven  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:01:47pm

Oh Dawg!

Blind Frog Belly White  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:02:48pm

re: #1 Eclectic Cyborg

CCJ gloating coming in 3…2…1…

Yeah, I’ve been wondering when that was gonna happen. Maybe he’ll claim they were distracted by dealing with his case…

Kragar  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:02:57pm
FormerDirtDart  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:05:41pm
lawhawk  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:05:47pm

re: #5 blueraven

Trump was so into law and order that he’d ignore that the evidence tying those five to the crime was so thin so as to be nonexistent. The City ended up paying out a multimillion dollar settlement, which Trump denounced. Trump would have had ‘em executed for crimes they didn’t commit.

That’s the law and order candidate. Trump’s the one who’d ignore exculpatory evidence and instead execute people because he thought they were guilty (they weren’t).

Big Beautiful Door  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:07:52pm

re: #5 blueraven

Oh Dawg!

Nothing says law and order like leading a lynch mob. 0_o

Blind Frog Belly White  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:08:28pm

re: #10 Big Beautiful Door

Nothing says law and order like leading a lynch mob. 0_o

In Sessions’ mind, that’s likely true.

I Would Prefer Not To  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:09:01pm

re: #10 Big Beautiful Door

Nothing says law and order like leading a lynch mob. 0_o

It would be a great episode of the TV show Law and Order.

Big Beautiful Door  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:10:01pm

re: #12 I Would Prefer Not To

It would be a great episode of the TV show Law and Order.

I would be surprised if it hasn’t been; they have like a gazillion episodes over the decades.

Blind Frog Belly White  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:10:18pm

re: #12 I Would Prefer Not To

It would be a great episode of the TV show Law and Order.

Sessions probably sees Henry Fonda as the Bad Guy in Twelve Angry Men.

Mattand  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:13:57pm

My worry about Gawker is that they are only going to be the first of many of these billionaire-funded, First Amendment-ignorant incidences. As Charles alludes to, it’s easier to go “Eh, eff Gawker” because they were so willing to roll in the slime at times.

It will not surprise me to see Trump engaging in this kind of horseshit on November 10th, regardless of whether he wins or not. The fact that he’s been pretty much open to the idea of restricting free press is probably a bellwether of things to come with him.

Blind Frog Belly White  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:16:03pm

re: #15 Mattand

Trump already has done.

allegro  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:19:09pm

OT technical thingie and my inner Luddite is emerging.

Just got a new HP Chromebook (thanks darth… maybe). None of my buttons work here. Can’t open private things, ding, or nuthin. WHYYYYYYY?

allegro  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:20:13pm

And posting that comment shot me to the front page. I am grrrrrrr

Varek Raith  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:20:17pm

Can we please not put Gawker in the same category as MJ or actual news outlets?
Please?

Nyet  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:20:27pm

re: #17 allegro

Have you checked if the javascript is on?

Blind Frog Belly White  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:21:42pm

re: #19 Varek Raith

Can we please not put Gawker in the same category as MJ or actual news outlets?
Please?

The thing is, those other outlets are the ones doing it.

Charles Johnson  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:21:46pm

re: #17 allegro

OT technical thingie and my inner Luddite is emerging.

Check your browser settings - it sounds like Javascript is disabled. Those are all symptoms of Javascript not working.

Kragar  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:26:06pm
FormerDirtDart  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:26:21pm

My representative to Congress
She’s in her 24 year in Congress…

“…Two days after a pair of prominent Orlando attorneys filed to represent Congresswoman Corrine Brown in the federal corruption case against her, both have filed a motion to withdraw from the case…

…NeJame and Haas were the third set of attorneys Brown has had since she was indicted on July 8 for tax and wire fraud and other federal charges…”

Nyet  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:28:24pm

After Holocaust denier and 9/11 truther Kevin Barrett screeched on his radio program about “the Kiev Zio-Nazi government. Which is what it is—these Zionist Jewish oligarchs, billionaire criminal dons, are funding Nazi street thugs” - Ajamu Baraka did not contradict his host. Rather he agreed with him and added his own facets to the conspiracy theory.

The more I look at Stein-Baraka, the more I think they may be even worse than Trump-Pence.

Romantic Heretic  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:28:50pm

I’m in the category that Thiel killing Gawker in this manner is a bad thing.

Just one more step in America becoming an absolute oligarchy where The Other Golden Rule reigns. To whit, “Him what has the gold makes the rules.”

allegro  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:29:22pm

javascript is enabled

Cheechako  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:30:30pm

Charles

Have you checked the new full page pop-up ads that are showing up on LGF?

Very trashy ads…makes the place look like the National Enquirer. And they’re hard to eliminate.

C

Nyet  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:30:32pm

re: #27 allegro

javascript is enabled

Then the only thing I can think of is that your browser cannot download some scripts for some reason. Some sort of a filter or something? Albeit it should not be so.

Ming5000  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:30:33pm

re: #24 FormerDirtDart

I have to admit. Sometimes these threads spiral in so many directions I.. I….
~Drink!~

Big Beautiful Door  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:30:36pm

re: #25 Nyet

Only alleviated by the fact that they have absolutely no chance of winning the Presidency, while Trump/Pence still has some chance.

TedStriker  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:30:45pm

re: #6 Blind Frog Belly White

Even though CCJ had fuck-all to do with this…the boy is a bit touched in the head.

Blind Frog Belly White  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:32:02pm

re: #25 Nyet

Sadly, Stein will get a pass from a lot of BernieBros, because she’s not Hillary.

Blind Frog Belly White  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:32:21pm

re: #32 TedStriker

Ya think?

Bubblehead II  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:32:38pm

re: #23 Kragar

Nyet  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:33:10pm

re: #33 Blind Frog Belly White

According to Baraka, the Sanders’ campaign did not offer a genuine program for radical change (apparently, free education and free health care aren’t radical enough) because it was tacitly committed to “Eurocentrism” and “normalized white supremacy.”

“As much as the ‘Sandernistas’ attempt to disarticulate Sanders ‘progressive’ domestic policies from his documented support for empire,” Baraka said, “it should be obvious that his campaign is an ideological prop … of the logic and interests of the capitalist-imperialist settler state.”

Varek Raith  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:34:48pm

re: #23 Kragar

re: #35 Bubblehead II

Oh my, how very illegal.

Blind Frog Belly White  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:35:04pm

re: #36 Nyet

Indeed, my Idiot Brother (who supports Stein) voted for Bernie under protest that he was insufficiently opposed to any foreign intervention.

FormerDirtDart  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:38:06pm

re: #36 Nyet

re: #38 Blind Frog Belly White

Ming5000  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:39:46pm

Is Stein really on the Democratic Party’s left?

EPR-radar  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:39:50pm

re: #26 Romantic Heretic

I’m in the category that Thiel killing Gawker in this manner is a bad thing.

As I understand it, Thiel’s motive for killing off Gawker is that he was outed by Gawker. IMO, the outing of Thiel was legitimate news reporting, give Thiel’s outspoken and extreme political views.

So Gawker was killed off because of an act of legitimate reporting, even though the specific case that led to their demise was their tabloid nonsense.

ObserverArt  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:40:17pm

re: #9 lawhawk

Fuck Sessions. It is disgusting he chooses to use the Central Park 5 case as some kind of a show that Trump is a law and order man.

They can’t even use dog whistles anymore. Might as well say lets put it back in the hands of angry white folk with torches and ropes so they go back to the great ol’ law ‘n’ order of lynchings.

Plus if it would have been handled that way NYC could have saved the millions they paid to settle the case.

Are we riding on the bad way back machine?

GlutenFreeJesus  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:41:51pm

re: #7 Kragar

“Many people are saying that he did. Many people.”

TedStriker  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:42:43pm

re: #36 Nyet

*facepalm*

It’s never quite enough for some folks, is it?

Decatur Deb  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:43:46pm

re: #42 ObserverArt

Are we riding on the bad way back machine?

I say again: It is disgustingly improper to say “Fuck Sessions.” Decorum demands the proper usage: “Fuck Senator Jefferson Beauregard Sessions the Third.”

Nyet  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:43:54pm

re: #40 Ming5000

Is Stein really on the Democratic Party’s left?

Good question. Does she even believe her own BS or is she just on a payroll?

Jay C  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:44:38pm

re: #39 FormerDirtDart

re: #40 Ming5000

What, “lucks out” that the more-or-less accepted “Left” candidate is a gibbering moonbat with an even moonier running mate?
Whatever your opinion, this is, sad to say, the norm for American politics - Luck has little to do with it.

Ming5000  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:44:45pm

re: #46 Nyet

Blind Frog Belly White  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:45:26pm

re: #48 Ming5000

But she’s lost elections at every level of government!

Charles Johnson  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:46:03pm

re: #27 allegro

javascript is enabled

Well, that’s odd; if Javascript is enabled, and nothing else is interfering (which I doubt since you said you just got the computer) I don’t know what else to suggest. You could try contacting Chromebook support on this page:

support.google.com

Ming5000  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:46:27pm

Jill Stein reminds me of those travillin’ preachers that I saw on my college campus. They came by each year. Held a rally and I assume garnered a bunch of donations and moved on.

Nyet  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:47:02pm

re: #48 Ming5000

Running every 2 years or so - must be good business.

Kragar  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:47:12pm

re: #43 GlutenFreeJesus

A high-ranking US diplomat, who says Manafort regularly lobbied him on Yanukovych’s behalf, suggested that Fusion investigate the Sea Breeze 2006 incident. As Fusion has reported previously, Manafort allegedly collected millions of dollars to closely advise Yanukovych’s Party of Regions on his electoral strategy and foreign policies from 2005 to at least 2014. Internal documents recovered from Yanukovych’s residence after he was overthrown and fled Ukraine in 2014 show Manafort was intimately involved in coordinating Yanukovych’s efforts at wider popularity and legitimacy.

In the Ukrainian government memo written last year and leaked to the Times of London this week, a senior prosecutor alleges that Manafort, in fact, “orchestrated” the Sea Breeze protests and other anti-NATO demonstrations, forcing cancellation of the exercise. “While I was in the Crimea I constantly saw evidence suggesting that Paul Manafort considered autonomy [from Ukraine] as a tool to enhance the reputation of Yanukovych and win over the local electorate,” the prosecutor wrote. Charges were ultimately not sought against Manafort sooner, he says, because vital evidence was lost after Yanukovych fled Ukraine and Russia annexed Crimea.

Nyet  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:49:38pm

re: #53 Kragar

True or not, he was certainly knee-deep in all that shit.

Charles Johnson  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:50:23pm

The LGF Connect tweet dialog now lets you add up to four images to a tweet, and you now see small thumbnail images right in the dialog box as you add them. If you want to remove an image, just click on it.

Belafon  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:50:45pm

re: #40 Ming5000

Is Stein really on the Democratic Party’s left?

Only if you imagine politics on a line, and you arrange people by what others want to perceive them as.

So, no.

Kragar  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:53:04pm

My fucking God

Eclectic Cyborg  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:54:27pm

re: #57 Kragar

Too dumb to waste a history lesson on.

allegro  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:55:04pm

Charles, I can’t do a reply. i don’t even know what question to ask. :(

Blind Frog Belly White  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:55:50pm

re: #57 Kragar

My fucking God

O_o

Nyet  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:57:40pm

re: #57 Kragar

If true, that is so mind-blowingly idiotic, if only because no one claimed that all Holocaust victims were burned in ovens.

Nyet  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:59:36pm

allegro, try installing some other browser for now. Firefox should do the trick.

lawhawk  Aug 18, 2016 • 12:59:47pm

re: #57 Kragar

Trump really knows how to pick advisers and supporters.

You really have to go out of your way to find this kind of stuff.

Eclectic Cyborg  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:00:38pm

re: #61 Nyet

And even still. It’s not like the ovens were only used once.

Nyet  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:01:13pm

uhhh

Joseph Edward Schmitz (born August 28, 1956) is an American lawyer, former Inspector General of the Department of Defense and a former executive with Blackwater Worldwide.

BigPapa  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:01:57pm

re: #61 Nyet

When does this Trump Train of whackadoodles stop? Unreal.

My understanding is ovens were used later when the bullets and trenches couldn’t keep up.

bratwurst  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:02:14pm

This is gross, but not totally surprising either. He has long been a pro-lifer and has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is willing to do just about anything for money…so why not climb aboard the wingnut welfare chuckwagon?

Nyet  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:03:35pm

re: #64 Eclectic Cyborg

And even still. It’s not like the ovens were only used once.

Where ovens were used (e.g. in Auschwitz) they were usually bottlenecks during large killing actions, they had to dig out pits to burn bodies there. That is why deniers are so fixated on the ovens - they want to “prove” they were even slower than in reality.

Nyet  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:07:05pm

re: #66 BigPapa

When does this Trump Train of whackadoodles stop? Unreal.

Killings progression (non-exclusive, i.e. there was always hunger etc.): hunger, bullets, gassings.
Body disposal progression: mass graves; muffle ovens in Auschwitz, Majdanek, concentration camps; pyres (above ground or in pits) in Auschwitz, Majdanek and pure extermination camps like Treblinka; disinterment of mass graves and burning of the bodies during Aktion 1005.

lawhawk  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:09:40pm

re: #67 bratwurst

And I was going to point out that “Dr.” Jane Orient is pushing the medically unfit nonsense. She’s the head of the AAPS, which also counts Rand Paul as among the quacks and nuts who are members.

The AAPS has a long history of pushing junk science and LGF has covered this extensively in the past.

HappyWarrior  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:09:45pm

re: #65 Nyet

uhhh

He comes from a fucked up family too Sergey.
en.wikipedia.org
Joe’s sister is Mary Kay Letorneau who is best known for sleeping with her sixth grade student.

Backwoods_Sleuth  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:10:03pm

WASHINGTON (AP) — The State Department says a $400 million cash payment to Iran was contingent on the release of American prisoners.

Spokesman John Kirby says negotiations over the United States’ returning Iranian money from a decades-old account was conducted separately from the prisoner talks. But he says the U.S. withheld delivery of the cash as leverage until the U.S. citizens had left Iran.

Both events occurred Jan. 17.

HappyWarrior  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:11:00pm

re: #57 Kragar

My fucking God

That’s Mary Kay Lotorneau’s brother and John Schmitz’s son. His dad was too right wing for Orange County circa the early 70’s but would probably be a mainstream GOPer nowadays.

bratwurst  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:11:30pm
FormerDirtDart  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:11:53pm

So, the US held the cash hostage…

Big Beautiful Door  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:12:04pm

re: #46 Nyet

Good question. Does she even believe her own BS or is she just on a payroll?

Many people say Stein and Trump enjoy threesomes with Putin.

Ming5000  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:12:31pm

re: #74 bratwurst

Again with “The Left”

ObserverArt  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:12:41pm

RANSOM!!!!

Ming5000  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:12:59pm

re: #76 Big Beautiful Door

Many people say Stein and Trump enjoy threesomes with Putin.

HappyWarrior  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:13:13pm

re: #74 bratwurst

Typical right wing bullshit. Claim someone’s on the left if they’re doing what you don’t like. Keep on doing that conservatives, that strategy just works out great and it’s why you get people like Trump. Maybe you should actually confront the fact the fact that your party’s nominee hired the guy who ran Breitbart as his top campaign guy rather than acting like he’s on the left to absolve yourself from responsibility.

dangerman  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:14:11pm

onion pie
(if you dont tell everyone you made it, there’s more for you)

Big Beautiful Door  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:14:27pm

re: #57 Kragar

My fucking God

“We’ll make them larger next time.”/ kind of.

HappyWarrior  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:14:31pm

I don’t know what Stein’s deal is but she and her running mate are just agh. And these people have the nerve to tell us supporting Clinton that we’re not real progressives. Look who’s talking assholes.

blueraven  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:14:51pm

Ransom!!!

You know it’s coming.

Nyet  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:15:20pm

re: #71 HappyWarrior

Well, that sure explains something. Here’s from the Holocaust denier Mark Weber:

vho.org

A good friend of the Institute for Historical Review, John Schmitz, has died. The former US Congressman, Marine Corps officer and political science teacher is remembered with respect by both friend and foe alike as an articulate, witty and fervent champion of his conservative principles.

He died of cancer on January 10, 2001, at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland, surrounded by his family. He was 70. His body was laid to rest with military honors at Arlington National Cemetery.

Schmitz attended at least two IHR Conferences, and was a subscriber for many years to the IHR’s Journal of Historical Review. From time to time bought extra copies to give away to friends.

He provided crucial help to the Institute during the difficult Ninth IHR Conference in February 1989.

More at the link, of you can stomach it.

Since the daddy was a denier, it makes sense the son would be one.

Nyet  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:15:57pm

re: #76 Big Beautiful Door

Many people say Stein and Trump enjoy threesomes with Putin.

Imagine that…

Kragar  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:16:53pm

O’Keefe stooge got busted

HappyWarrior  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:17:06pm

re: #85 Nyet

More at the link, of you can stomach it.

Since the daddy was a denier, it makes sense the son would be one.

Yeah it does make sense. Thanks for the link.

Franklin  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:17:41pm

Privately, I’m sure Candidate Trump can appreciate that the US State Dept. held the $400 million back until the hostages were freed. Publically? Crooked Hillary.

Big Beautiful Door  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:17:45pm

RANSOM!!!!1!1!1!!!!!!

HappyWarrior  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:17:50pm

Gotta love that the Schmitz’ love tribute totally neglects to mention that he had two children out of wedlock that he never acknowledged.

451_Montag  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:18:27pm

re: #61 Nyet

Try the BBC series on Netflix about Auschwitz. If it doesnt bring a tear to your eye…..

blueraven  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:18:44pm
Blind Frog Belly White  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:18:59pm

re: #86 Nyet

Imagine that…

No, thank you. *shudder*

Shiplord Kirel  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:19:18pm

NYDN has weighed in:

Facebook Post

HappyWarrior  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:19:44pm

re: #92 451_Montag

I have seen that one I believe. I’ve visited Dachau before too. It was a haunting experience as was talking in the Jewish quarter of Prague.

Nyet  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:19:57pm

re: #92 451_Montag

I’ve spent this week and will spend the next week leafing through thousands of pages of Auschwitz testimonies in an archive. I think that will be enough for the time being.

Big Beautiful Door  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:20:02pm

re: #86 Nyet

Imagine that…

I’d rather not.

HappyWarrior  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:21:02pm

I’m pretty damn pro free speech but Holocaust denial always tests me.

dangerman  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:21:10pm

re: #92 451_Montag

every time i watch QB VII and i already know whats coming

Jay C  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:21:31pm

re: #57 Kragar

My fucking God

Jeez, what a fucking idiot! Even a casual Wiki search will turn up evidence (I.e., Rudolph Hoess’s postwar confessions) that the big problem at the Nazi extermination camps wasn’t so much KILLING the victims, as disposing of the evidence-I.e., all the bodies.

b_sharp  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:21:50pm

re: #81 dangerman

onion pie
(if you dont tell everyone you made it, there’s more for you)

Ewwww.

klys (maker of Silmarils)  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:22:12pm

From the Blue Cut fire, I believe.

My sister was nearly this close to a flyover last year.

Nyet  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:22:23pm

re: #101 Jay C

Exactly.

Charles Johnson  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:22:36pm

re: #59 allegro

Charles, I can’t do a reply. i don’t even know what question to ask. :(

Does it work if you reload the page now? I’m flying blind since I don’t have access to a Chromebook but I made a change that may help.

dangerman  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:22:38pm

re: #102 b_sharp

Ewwww.

youre not one of those pineapple pizza folks are ya?

Sir John Barron  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:23:11pm

re: #74 bratwurst

LOL

wrenchwench  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:23:11pm

re: #91 HappyWarrior

Worse: he acknowleged they were his but refused to support them in the least.

b_sharp  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:23:46pm

re: #106 dangerman

youre not one of those pineapple pizza folks are ya?

Ham & pineapple - yum.

Backwoods_Sleuth  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:24:07pm
Big Beautiful Door  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:24:08pm

re: #99 HappyWarrior

I’m pretty damn pro free speech but Holocaust denial always tests me.

I can understand why its illegal in Germany. But we don’t want to fiddle with the 1st Amendment. Just imagine the “lies” the GOP would ban if they had the power: evolution and climate change for starters.

HappyWarrior  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:24:14pm

re: #108 wrenchwench

Worse: he acknowleged they were his but refused to support them in the least.

That’s right. Evil right wing bastard right up till the end.

klys (maker of Silmarils)  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:24:37pm

re: #109 b_sharp

Ham & pineapple - yum.

Nope. Pepperoni and sausage and black olives. Yummy salty meaty goodness. Nom nom nom.

HappyWarrior  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:24:49pm

re: #111 Big Beautiful Door

Yeah I understand exactly why it’s illegal in a place like Germany.

FormerDirtDart  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:24:59pm

“I get the best crowds”
Christ, talk about campaigning in a safe State…the last Dem to win Mississippi was Carter in ‘76

allegro  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:25:01pm

Can’t install Firefox. Scratch that. Problem is only with LGF, everything else works fine. Another issue: The download page wheel never stops spinning on this site, again OK everywhere else.

Edit: never mind. Charles fixed me. :)

EPR-radar  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:25:19pm

re: #99 HappyWarrior

I’m pretty damn pro free speech but Holocaust denial always tests me.

I see no evidence that truth is capable of overcoming lies in the “marketplace of ideas”. What people choose to believe is too often the only relevant factor.

That said, it isn’t easy to come up with a way to restrict free speech that won’t cause more problems than it solves.

dangerman  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:26:45pm

re: #109 b_sharp

Ham & pineapple - yum.

the pie is sauteed onions in vermouth, smothered in shredded gruyere and topped with buttered paprika bread crumbs

what could possible be wrong with that?

Nyet  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:26:59pm

Almost a repeat, but still, again from Weber:

Courageous men as diverse as Pete McCloskey and John Schmitz - both former Congressmen and presidential candidates - and author/columnist Joseph Sobran, have understood the unique importance of the IHR and its work.

Big Beautiful Door  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:27:01pm

re: #115 FormerDirtDart

“I get the best crowds”

Because its all about playing to the base now. I believe there is something to the theory that Trump is more interested in monetarizing his fan base than winning the election.

Sir John Barron  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:27:25pm

re: #57 Kragar

My fucking God

Yes but Hillary emails….

allegro  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:27:37pm

WHEEEEEE! Yes! Doin’ da happy dance!

dangerman  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:27:38pm

re: #113 klys (maker of Silmarils)

hows the running going?

Nyet  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:28:02pm

re: #116 allegro

It’s like some file with a script is stuck during the download… Clean the cache?

klys (maker of Silmarils)  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:28:21pm

re: #116 allegro

Worth asking: have you checked that the version of Chrome is up to date? Also possibly silly, but worth asking (you’d be surprised how many times this works on my phone): have you rebooted?

klys (maker of Silmarils)  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:29:28pm

re: #123 dangerman

hows the running going?

Did eight miles Monday, five yesterday, will do five tomorrow. I hate the heat.

I managed to transfer my registration for the half to the Rebel Challenge, so I run a 10k on Saturday now and then the half on Sunday. My parents think I’m nuts.

Shiplord Kirel  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:31:20pm

Drudge, Freep, and the rest of the rest of the Sam Francis inspired paleocon howler monkeys are claiming vindication of their claim that the $400 million payment to Iran was “ransom.”

US SAYS $400M PAYMENT WAS CONTINGENT ON RELEASE OF PRISONERS

No, you gibbering morons, it is ransom if the money is paid FIRST, ie if the release of the prisoners had been contingent on the payment and not the other way around.

As I have often observed with conservatives in their personal and business lives, these people have a serious problem with cause and effect, part of their larger difficulty with chronology and the concept of change in general.

makeitstop  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:36:28pm

re: #35 Bubblehead II

I saw this last night and was confused as to where the info was coming from.

Is this in relation to the FBI releasing Clinton’s investigation info to Congress?

Scottishdragon  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:41:02pm

re: #115 FormerDirtDart

dangerman  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:45:01pm

re: #126 klys (maker of Silmarils)

last 3 weeks i’ve had to chauffer mrs dm around. twisted her ankle. leaving way too early in the am and returning way too late for running. now she’s flying solo again so i’ll restart my program for the third time.

the heat grows on you. at least it did on me. the cold not so much, though i did kind of grudgingly adapt to it - proper clothing and all

forget what anyone thinks. you like to run, you run. keep it up

Stanley Sea  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:48:10pm

I have a chromebook, but I have no idea how all this works.

Mine is working fine though.

b_sharp  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:54:49pm

re: #113 klys (maker of Silmarils)

Ham pepperoni & shrooms. No olives.

b_sharp  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:55:22pm

re: #118 dangerman

what could possible be wrong with that?

The part with the onions.

dangerman  Aug 18, 2016 • 1:58:30pm

re: #133 b_sharp

The part with the onions.

that’s unamerican

foobear2  Aug 18, 2016 • 2:01:06pm

Gawker gone? No big loss.

klys (maker of Silmarils)  Aug 18, 2016 • 2:02:51pm

re: #130 dangerman

forget what anyone thinks. you like to run, you run. keep it up

I’m in CA, cold won’t really happen. I would like it to be back down in the 60s again though. Also I don’t have three sleeveless exercise shirts so I’m doing laundry at least once a week to cycle through the gear. I should get at least one more but I keep hoping the heat will go away.

They’re supportive of it. (mr. klys is extremely supportive too.) They just think I’m nuts for doing the back to back.

I think a marathon is starting to materialize as a stretch goal, although I really should run a half before I decide on that… (I really like Disney so I’ve gotten sucked into the runDisney stuff and they have the full at Disney World once a year.)

Barefoot Grin  Aug 18, 2016 • 5:49:19pm

re: #115 FormerDirtDart

“I get the best crowds”

Because they are good citizens and they have councils.

ExpatGirl  Aug 18, 2016 • 8:11:22pm

I loved Gawker’s Scientology coverage but I kind of think it got what it deserved.

W of O. The Time Zone Warrior.  Aug 19, 2016 • 4:27:25am

Charles,

Your break with the right made you loze friends on that side but you gained a lot more on the left, me included. The day you announced it was a day I remember. It was glorious. I also remember seeing the reactions to the split and that it remained a Hot news topic for a week. There were a lot of people who tried to convince you to taken the right path.

Keep up the good work.

A less jazz maybe. 😀

Olsonist  Aug 22, 2016 • 4:46:20pm

I’ll definitely miss Gawker.

Orkestra Obsolete Play Blue Monday Using 1930s Instruments - BBC Arts More information: bbc.in New Order's Blue Monday was released on 7 March 1983, and its cutting-edge electronic groove changed pop music forever. But what would it have sounded like if it had been made 50 years earlier? In a ...
Tune-Yards - ABC 123 (Official Video) 'ABC 123' by Tune-Yards. New album 'I can feel you creep into my private life' is released January 19th 2018: smarturl.it Director: Dear Mr QuistgaardProducer: Abi Atkinson, LS ProductionsCommissioner: Gabe Spierer, Beggars GroupExec Producer: Saskia Whinney, SomesuchDOP: Deepa KeshvalaEditor: ...
Funding Restrictions Have Made Gun Violence Researchers Get Creative A study published Thursday concludes that a subsequent increase in gun exposure led to more accidental firearm deaths than otherwise would have occurred in the months after the school shooting. "It was the spike [in sales] itself that sort ...
Recycling Chaos in U.S. As China Bans ‘Foreign Waste’ Like many Portland residents, Satish and Arlene Palshikar are serious recyclers. Their house is coated with recycled bluish-white paint. They recycle their rainwater, compost their food waste and carefully separate the paper and plastic they toss out. But recently, ...
Trump Jerusalem Move: Tear Gas at Lebanon US Embassy Protest There have been violent clashes near the US embassy in Lebanon, in the latest protest against President Donald Trump's decision to recognise Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. Security forces fired tear gas and water cannon to force back ...
Trump Says He and Trudeau Disagree on Trade Deficit. U.S. Stats Seem to Be on the PM’s SideHair Furor just can't seem to catch a break these days....Despite Trump's insistence the U.S. has a trade deficit with Canada, statistics from the website of the office of the U.S. Trade Representative -- the office handling NAFTA negotiations -- ...
The Major
Blondie - Doom or Destiny (Official Video)Blondie performing "Doom or Destiny" from the new album "Pollinator".Out Now: blondie.lnk.to Follow Blondiefacebook.cominstagram.com@BlondieOfficial vevo.ly
Beth Hart & Joe Bonamassa - Black Coffee (Official Music Video) Official video for Black Coffee from the new Beth Hart & Joe Bonamassa album Black Coffee. Pre-order: smarturl.it BLACK COFFEE is available to pre-order on CD and vinyl. The limited CD box includes 2 coasters, a postcard and an ...
Views: 1,121 • Comments: 0 • Rating: 0
Sparks - ‘This Town Ain’t Big Enough for Both of Us’ (Live at WFUV) wfuv.org • Follow @wfuv: ow.ly Sparks (allsparks.com) performs "This Town Ain't Big Enough For Both of Us" live in Studio A. Recorded 10.12.17. Host: Darren DeVivoAudio: Jim O'HaraCameras: Dan Tuozzoli, Kristal Ho, Monica Fafaul, Alexandra Brennan and Liz CarrEditor: ...
Conyers Resigns Amid Sexual Harassment Allegations Rep. John Conyers, D-Mich., has sent a letter to House Speaker Paul Ryan and Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi informing them of his decision to step down from Congress as of Tuesday, amid allegations of sexual misconduct leveled by multiple ...