Myron Falwell (no relation)  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:26:58am
Barefoot Grin  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:27:19am

9/11 —-> 11/9

nines09  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:27:29am

Pick any newspaper with the picture of Trump grinning on the front, and the words “President Trump” or “America’s New President” and you have the new recruitment poster for the evil of the world.

I’ve got some relationships to sort out. Culling time.

Kragar  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:27:55am
baileylamb  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:30:38am

re: #3 nines09

I’ve got some relationships to sort out. Culling time.

I hope Putin lives long, or short enough to regret this.

Ziggy_TARDIS  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:31:31am

Hoping for Elizabeth Warren in 2020.

Blind Frog Belly White  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:32:37am

re: #5 baileylamb

I hope Putin lives long, or short enough to regret this.

It’s likely. Remember how Trump treats investors, creditors, employees, wives, etc. Once he’s gotten what he needs, they’re of no use.

electrotek  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:34:28am

re: #7 Blind Frog Belly White

I tried telling my dumbass Kurdish friends on my FB that he doesn’t give a shit about them once they outlived his usefulness but they won’t listen.

One of my friends who voted Trump? Her parents survived Halabja massacre for Christ’s sake.

MsJ  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:35:16am

B8R72KTP7r3XtKmDn2GISwe/9T268jkQuUnWUUEGL4VHioodVMtE4ZmJzIixO2ep3FwsXdD0tLhnjt84wpDrvVYV3NoFQc+Icrw4y300o4l25mZqCWt5qK1Vu+GUbwBFluBRFeuiijxXprlGJqSf7kNd/mS/UMfHVn4atpC8w7oxb6QVgAzMg715NKJh0nQWOv2c3Jkwtta5/IxpekoalHIET8ScD/CAbxF8cxEUvY6d4zr79tZ7GOEacGg2gW5vy64KV040LIPcpZh5HgwMKw==

Franklin  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:35:56am

Heh

No Depression  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:36:10am

re: #6 Ziggy_TARDIS

Hoping for Elizabeth Warren in 2020.

I agree with them. He’s not my fucking president!

baileylamb  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:36:27am

re: #7 Blind Frog Belly White

Well, that’s the one good thing that might come from this election.

Targetpractice  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:36:32am

re: #4 Kragar

I’m reminded about the parable of the Christian in a hurricane continually pushing aside offered help, saying “God will save me.” Then, when he dies and arrives at Heaven, he looks at God and asks “Why did you abandon me?,” only to be told “I sent you help several times and you refused it.”

And then I immediately think of The Bard from The Merchant of Venice: “The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.”

The Madness of King Orange (aka Sophist)  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:37:11am

re: #7 Blind Frog Belly White

But that’s not what Putin wants. He’s not expecting any specific payback. Putin wants us weak and divided, and Trump will do that. He’s incapable of doing otherwise.

Franklin  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:37:25am

Ding Ding Ding Ding

No Depression  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:38:05am

Fuck the electoral college. It’s an affront to democracy.

Blind Frog Belly White  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:38:12am

re: #11 No Depression

I agree with them. He’s not my fucking president!

No, but he will be THE President.

We pick ourselves up. We dust ourselves off. We lick our wounds, and we get back in the fight.

baileylamb  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:38:22am

re: #14 The Madness of King Orange (aka Sophist)

But that’s not what Putin wants. He’s not expecting any specific payback. Putin wants us weak and devided, and Trump will do that. He’s incapable of doing otherwise.

Putin wants a weak USA, he doesn’t want a Trump that turns on him.

Myron Falwell (no relation)  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:39:08am
Dr. Matt  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:40:10am

Republican presidential candidates have lost the popular vote 6 out of 7 of the last presidential elections. So, let’s start talking about ‘rigged’…..

Targetpractice  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:40:35am

re: #15 Franklin

Ding Ding Ding Ding

Hillary rejected racism and embraced inclusive policies, wanting to address the very real issues that existed with racial relations.

The candidates the Bros embraced universally rejected any talk about race except to use as a weapon against her. They couldn’t have given a fuck less if a black man was treated worse than a white, because that distracted away from white people getting paid more.

Charles Johnson  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:40:39am
EmmaAnne  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:41:49am

I know from sad experience that focussing on all the shit I can’t control or affect just makes me crazy and doesn’t accomplish anything. So my resolution is to put my efforts toward things I might be able to affect.

The Republicans have control of all branches of governement for the next two years. I can’t do anything about that, although I will certainly object loudly. I can’t stop legislation or appointments (that hurts to say, but it is true).

What I can do: I am fortunate enough to live in a blue state (Colorado). I will work to keep abortion legal here and to come up with some sort of state alternative to the ACA. There is hope here: Colorado instituted some health care reforms before the ACA past and has defeated personhood bills soundly every time they have come up. And higher minimum wage just passed.

I will support groups that are fighting unconstitutional actions by the administration. I will support investigative reporting. I will support groups helping people who will be hurt the most: immigrants, minorities, LGBT people. Support means both money and time.

I will continue working with the Democratic party. To coin a phrase, it is the worst possible party except all of the others.

I will stand up for people who need it and encourage people trying to do the right thing.

I will discourage circular firing squads on the left. The terms “Bernie Bro,” “baggage,” and “neo-liberal” shall not pass my lips. No person or group that voted for Hillary will be criticized by me for not getting other people who aren’t them to do so also. No one who worked their ass off for liberal candidates and causes will be upbraided by me for not doing it in just the right way to force other people not be lazy or selfish or stupid.

Targetpractice  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:41:56am

Even without the violence, the damage is gonna be done. Racial relations are about to take a massive hit after this. How can you be a minority after yesterday and not assume that everybody with a white face, even those who claim to be your “friend,” approved in some way of the things Trump said?

Blind Frog Belly White  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:42:03am

Now that he no longer needs their support, Trump can afford to repudiate them. And he should, if he REALLY wants to be President of all of us.

Franklin  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:42:19am

I made a joke. First time I’ve almost smiled all day.

Archangelus  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:42:26am

re: #10 Franklin

Heh

“OK, so there IS something over which we can agree!”

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:42:42am

re: #25 Blind Frog Belly White

He just wants to be President

Timothy Watson  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:43:07am

re: #25 Blind Frog Belly White

If that was a joke, it was poorly timed.

If not, I just don’t where to start…

Archangelus  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:44:33am

re: #16 No Depression

Fuck the electoral college. It’s an affront to democracy.

And to decency.
And to common sense.
And to the 20th century.
And to the 21st century.

The Ghost of a Flea  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:44:37am

re: #25 Blind Frog Belly White

I think what going to happen is: Trump does resentment theater for his base using his executive to humiliate and “investigate” his opponents, Pence and Congress roll through wingnut legislation on greased rails.

The only obstacle is if it turns out Trump really is the kind of guy who will lash out at the Rs that didn’t support him, too.

Blind Frog Belly White  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:44:41am

re: #28 Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))

He just wants to be President

Despite my anxiety disorder, I am at heart an optimist. I read this from Josh Marshall this morning:

Optimism isn’t principally an analysis of present reality. It’s an ethic. It is not based on denial or rosy thinking. It is a moral posture toward the world we find ourselves in.

Myron Falwell (no relation)  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:45:06am

Not surprising. Katy Perry’s parents are Evangelical theocrats.
Romantic Heretic  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:45:17am

Okay, that paraphrasing of Churchill gave me the first real smile in hours.

We shall never surrender.

Targetpractice  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:45:30am

And what the far-left doesn’t realize is the damage they did to their pet causes yesterday by either staying home or voting third party. They’ll insist that Trump is a good thing for them, that anger towards him will empower them and their “fight.” But the people they need to be there for that “fight” won’t because they can’t trust the far-left after yesterday. How can you trust somebody who will abandon you the moment you disagree with their orthodoxy? How can you place trust in somebody that sees you as a means to an end, one which they’re prepared to sacrifice you to achieve?

baileylamb  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:46:08am

re: #33 Myron Falwell (no relation)

Ding ding ding ding.

Dr. Matt  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:46:52am

“While we’re chatting, fuck you to everyone who cast a protest vote or chose not to vote. Fuck you to Susan Sarandon and of course, fuck Jill Stein”
~Kara Brown, 11/9/2016

Charles Johnson  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:47:06am
Brother Holy Cruise Missile of Mild Acceptance  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:48:11am

I hardly slept last night. Everyone at my work is shell shocked (fortunately no Trumpites I am aware of). I am at a loss for words, have been all morning. I was hoping the electoral college would save us but it screwed us again (and Hillary will win the popular vote). I’m not ready to give up, just too tired to do much right now. Once I recover I will do more, volunteer, see what I can do locally and get involved. I will resist in any way I can. And honestly, we white people have to really do more, we’re not the ones who will face the crap others will. Sorry if this isn’t coherent, like I said I haven’t slept much.

Belafon  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:48:35am

re: #33 Myron Falwell (no relation)

Not surprising. Katy Perry’s parents are Evangelical theocrats.

I kind of disagree with the second comment (not Perry’s). There’s only so much you can do to convince people to change their minds. And if they’re FOX listeners, it’s nearly impossible.

[deleted]  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:48:35am
No Depression  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:48:39am

I’m gonna overdose on schadenfreude when/if Trump supporters realize they’ve been screwed by Trump.

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:49:08am

re: #16 No Depression

Fuck the electoral college. It’s an affront to democracy.

I am for keeping it but only having it kick in if no candidate gets a majority.

That would not affect outcomes like 2000 or 2016, but I think it would be a step in the right direction.

And yes, as long as Democrats draw their core support from states with large urban areas and Republicans from less-populated states, the EC will always be weighted in their favor.

Charles Johnson  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:49:13am
Charles Johnson  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:50:37am

re: #41 carloswebber88

Nope.

makeitstop  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:51:00am

I’m wondering what those Russian troll farms will get up to now.

They could use the time between now and Inauguration Day taking advantage of the gaping wound in our electorate and pushing us even farther apart.

They could amass on social media and systematically shout down any and all opposition, by physical threat if necessary, and there will be mobs who will gladly follow through on their violent threats for them.

All those nasty tricks we’ve seen used by the alt right - doxing, swatting, demonization - cold take on a new and very deadly aspect.

I’m trying like hell to find a silver lining here, and I’m not having a whole lot of luck today.

Dr. Matt  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:51:27am

re: #41 carloswebber88

Find a bag of dicks. Open bag of dicks. Eat said bag of dicks. Lather.Rinse.Repeat

Dr Lizardo  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:51:33am

re: #35 Targetpractice

Those clowns probably think some new 21st Century Lenin is going to pop up and lead the masses to victory in their glorious revolution….I’ve actually heard that fatuous argument. This is completely ignoring the fact that Lenin was in the right place (Switzerland) at the right time (WWI and the chaos that went with it) and in a position to be exceedingly useful to the Germans - while he simultaneously used the Germans to achieve his own ends.

The odds of that particular set of circumstances happening were a billion to one. Lenin himself figured he’d never live to see his revolution, that he would die in exile. So if any of these ridiculous ideological purists think it’ll happen again, well……..they shouldn’t hold their fucking breath.

Targetpractice  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:51:55am

Thus begins the Great Lie: “Trump didn’t win on playing to the worst in people.” It’s like the morning after Brexit, when all those who had patted themselves on the backs because they figured “Remain” had it safely in the bag were left trying to explain how they could have been so far off the mark. Hence all the “this was a vote against the status quo” arguments that the Bros immediately embraced.

Brother Holy Cruise Missile of Mild Acceptance  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:51:59am

re: #42 No Depression

That’s my plan. I have to find a silver lining, for one thing no defending Hillary against the unending amount of bullshit that will come her way, the other is to point and laugh when Trump betrays them all and/or gets stopped trying to do half the shit he plans to do.

Charles Johnson  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:52:29am

Sock puppet.

Big Beautiful Door  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:53:35am

One thing to brighten your day. Gun stocks are plummeting, because they have lost the fear of “Obummer is going to ban gunz!!” to drive their sales.

Edge of a dream AKA Cankles Mccellulite  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:53:52am

re: #49 Targetpractice

I don’t give a shit about those Brexit assholes. Never cared before. Don’t care now.

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:53:55am

re: #42 No Depression

They won’t because he has been doing it from the get-go…

No Depression  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:54:12am

re: #50 Brother Holy Cruise Missile of Mild Acceptance

True. When the GOP inevitably fucks everything up, they won’t be able to blame it on Democrats.

baileylamb  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:54:16am

re: #46 makeitstop

All that was done with the knowledge of our intelligence agencies. That is what kills me.

Targetpractice  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:54:49am

re: #48 Dr Lizardo

They keep trying to find a Lenin figure, somebody they figure is simultaneously “pure” enough and yet popular enough that they can be taken seriously. But as we saw this year, there is no such mythical creature. They decided that Warren wasn’t “pure” enough the moment she refused to endorse Bernie, and Stein may be “pure” enough but she’s never going to be the candidate to lead them to the Promised Land. I’m gonna make this prediction now, even though I know it’ll be at least 4 years before we see it in action: The day Warren runs for the presidency, the Bros will find some reason to oppose her and champion another Bernie.

calochortus  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:54:59am

As far as I know, my friends and family aren’t racists. Some implicit bias perhaps, but we try to recognize it and deal with it. I live in deep blue liberal land. Who am I supposed to go out and convince? There are surely a few racist folks in the community, but I don’t know who they are and I can’t really go door to door asking.

baileylamb  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:55:03am

re: #52 Big Beautiful Door

That does make me smile.

The Ghost of a Flea  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:56:06am

re: #48 Dr Lizardo

Also, Lenin’s “revolution” didn’t actually achieve most of its stated goals. And the goals it did achieve were the shitty cynical ones where Lenin bent himself backwards justifying stuff that even Marx balked at…most of the “we don’t need no stinkin’ jurisprudence” variety.

People are pretty fucking clueless about how often revolutions go to shit, and why.

Franklin  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:56:20am

re: #52 Big Beautiful Door

The dog has finally caught the car.

Targetpractice  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:56:25am

re: #52 Big Beautiful Door

And not even the threat of a Democratic Congress to scare the rubes with. Gonna be a hard four years for gun dealers. Especially when the next public shooting happens and instead of public revulsion, the national consensus is “Meh.”

ObserverArt  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:56:51am

re: #9 MsJ

I got it to. It is basically her speech this morning with a little bit directed at those who tossed in bucks to the campaign.

I’m taking my Hillary 2016 bumper sticker and adding to the basement music studio.

calochortus  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:57:18am

re: #42 No Depression

The one teeny silver lining I can see is that the GOP now owns it. Health care? Put up or shut up. Good paying jobs? Let’s see ‘em. A booming economy? Respect in the world? Safety (national and personal?) I’m waiting…

Barefoot Grin  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:57:39am

re: #52 Big Beautiful Door

Yeah, liberals like me who have never entertained the thought of owning a gun and now might are not going to really move the market.

Dr. Matt  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:57:40am

I like her even more now.

Instagram

hope

Instagram

How do we explain this to our children? #atleastpotisnowlegaleverywhere #gonnaneedit
Targetpractice  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:58:01am

re: #61 Franklin

The dog has finally caught the car.

That’s this election in a nutshell. For 8 years, the wingnuts insisted the day they won the election, all of America’s problems would be solved and paradise would reign once again.

Well, now they’re in charge. And from here on out, they own every bad thing that happens because they won’t even have Democrats to blame.

Myron Falwell (no relation)  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:58:07am

Mourning in America.

Weaselone  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:58:16am

And breaking contact doesn’t do anything to help those minuscule chances.

Charles Johnson  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:58:36am
Anymouse  Nov 9, 2016 • 10:58:56am

re: #23 EmmaAnne

What abortion? Kiss that good-bye: Roe v Wade can be overturned. Abortion can be outlawed by the now majority-GOP Federal legislature.

Your blue state of Colorado is subject to the same Federal laws as my red state of Nebraska.

Deferring personhood bills in Colorado is meaningless if one passes at the Federal level.

Groups fighting unconstitutional actions? A far-right Supreme Court can declare any action to be constitutional (Hobby Lobby, Citizens’ United, name it).

Investigative reporting? Trump has already said he would go after press outlets. And anyway, the press gave up investigative reporting a long time ago.

I faced an uphill task in my village: I got eight whole people to vote for Hillary Clinton, and I am in the goddamn village government. A disabled veteran. A Gold Star Family member. Three generations of military dead in my family. Didn’t matter for diddly.

Those who were telling me here when I knocked on every door in town they were disillusioned about the election and would vote for no one broke for Mr. Trump at about a 98% rate of the village electorate.

I had a delivery driver (as I noted earlier) deliver a package this morning say “Good we can run the liberals out of our state.”

And you think Colorado will be safe from its own wingnuts in Colorado Springs and the Koch Brothers trying to buy your school board elections? Our state governor just bought - bought with a state referendum the restoration of the death penalty.

Your state is no safer than mine from a fascist takeover of the Federal government.

baileylamb  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:00:50am

But both sides are the same (sarcasm).

Mike Lamb  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:00:52am

re: #64 calochortus

They own it in a bunch states already and it doesn’t matter.

nines09  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:00:53am

My son is an engineer, his wife an entrepreneur, photographer, writer and chef. They are expecting their first child around New Year. He is leaving the engineering job, he’s about as far up the chain as he can get, and go into IT, as his brother does. So the plan is him leaving engineering, schooling at a school for IT work (already has a masters) and be with his baby girl. They have a good seed saved, she makes great money, but the insurance was from his gig. He also has a rare disease that can cripple your fingers and toes and worse. So if the ACA is shot, he will have a pre existing condition that might get worse. And no marketplace to buy insurance.That and he’s a cancer survivor. So now he’s looking into options. My wife is crazy and sad and I am too. Just for starters, do you realize how badly I want to fuck up a few friends and neighbors of mine?

Like I said I got some culling to do.

Skip Intro  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:00:54am

re: #55 No Depression

Ha! Good one!

I needed a laugh today.

Dr Lizardo  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:00:59am

re: #60 The Ghost of a Flea

Yeah, Lenin was doing gold-medal level Marxist theoretical gymnastics. The Bolshevik Revolution ultimately failed largely - and ironically - because of the very nature of the Bolsheviks themselves. They were great at whipping up a crowd - but awful at actual governance. In the end, they resorted to the classic Russian recipe - the most brutal and appalling authoritarianism.

Targetpractice  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:01:31am

Here’s the question that I just now found myself asking: What if the reality that they will have unlimited power is enough for the GOP leadership to step back and decide that nuking the filibuster into oblivion isn’t the best idea.

Hear me out for a sec, what if Ryan and McConnell take a sec together and realize that without Democrats to blame for obstructing every bill and nomination, any negative consequences of their actions will be entirely on their heads. Ryan has plenty of reason to consider that a plausible situation considering the “Freedom Caucus” which is not going to allow him to pass any bills that aren’t the worst possible things ever. And McConnell has no room for error, every bill he passes is gonna be on a purely partisan basis that means he can’t use “bipartisan” as a fig leaf.

Now, I’m not saying that either of these two is so smart as to realize any of this, but it’s food for thought.

calochortus  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:01:32am

re: #73 Mike Lamb

They own it in a bunch states already and it doesn’t matter.

They’ve been blaming Obama. There won’t be anyone left to blame.

Kragar  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:01:59am
Charles Johnson  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:02:23am

The more I think about this, the more depressed I’m getting. The only hope is that Trump is too incompetent to actually pull off all the horrible stuff he promised — but with Pence and his far right social conservative cronies also working at it, we’re going to be in for some dark times.

EmmaAnne  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:02:41am

re: #71 Anymouse

OK. So you recommend I give up in despair then? Not happening.

prairiefire  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:03:11am

‘Hello xanax my old friend, I’ve come to talk to you again.”

HappyWarrior  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:03:34am

re: #79 Kragar

Of course, he will, why wouldn’t he? Sigh.

Targetpractice  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:03:51am

re: #71 Anymouse

That’s the mountain hiding as a silver lining in the cloud: All the years we spent arguing about the “supremacy clause” and the power the federal government had over states just came back to haunt us. There’s no real recourse available when the federal government falls to fascism.

Mike Lamb  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:04:09am

The concern is that Trump has no real beliefs other than the Wall, banning Muslims, and lowering taxes. He’s going to surround himself with shitheels and will do whatever they want, because he doesn’t care and he’s too fucking stupid.

Anymouse  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:04:34am

re: #33 Myron Falwell (no relation)

Yup in response to the person writing in response about Katy Perry.

There was a very heated discussion that I was in the crosshairs in right here about distancing yourself from family or friends who supported a fascist talking yam.

Anyone in my circle of friends or family that would have supported the orange ferret hairpiece would have been instantly cut from my circle; I said so, and I got pilloried from all sides here.

Fortunately, there is no one in my family that wants Cheeto Benito elected. My sister’s marriage is now in doubt. Hell, our Social Security is now in doubt. My mother went out for her first time in her life to vote for Hillary Clinton and Tammy Duckworth. She sees the majority of the American public does not care for her military service (as the GOP wants women out of the military).

Yup, I would have cut out any friend and family who supported Mr. Trump. Fortunately, there are no fascists in my family. Unfortunately, we may have to run from fascists again.

Dr Lizardo  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:04:36am

And Pence and the SoCons will be the driving force behind that.

No Depression  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:05:07am

I don’t know how I’m going to be able to live with my parents after this.

Citizen K  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:05:12am

The assholes who assured us Trump wouldn’t be so bad because he didn’t mean what he said most of the time and he’d be reined in by saner people…well, shit on those folks. Trump and crew meant every word they said and want to act immediately on them, Pence pretty much confirms that out of the gate.

Targetpractice  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:06:23am

Pence has named Dick “Go Fuck Yourself” Cheney as his model for the vice-presidency, a black-hearted thug who ran the White House like his own private piggy bank while Dubya sat on the throne. Our biggest worry going forward isn’t that Trump is in charge, because he’s made clear he doesn’t really want the responsibilities of the job. It’s what Pence can get done in four years that should turn people’s hair white.

ObserverArt  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:06:50am

re: #28 Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))

He just wants to be President

Just think, he gets an official portrait now done by a competent painter and it will hang in official public places for historical purposes.

He does like his portraits! Gag.

Dr Lizardo  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:07:06am

re: #90 Targetpractice

This, a thousand times.

calochortus  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:07:07am

I have some hope that banning abortion and restricting LGBT rights will turn out to be far less popular with the population as a whole than the far right thinks it is. People may like making noise about things, but when it comes to taking away rights that they take for granted there could be a backlash.
Meanwhile we are in for a bumpy ride.

The Ghost of a Flea  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:07:10am

re: #67 Targetpractice

Sorry, but…no.

Your assumption is that there’s a coherent chain of cause and effect used to assign blame, and there isn’t. That they have control of the whole federal government will not stop them from attributing failure to others. And they have a base that’s been nursed on conspiracy logic; they have an entire world, plus all the minorities in the USA, plus Obama and his administration of time-travelling wizard Jews to blame when it’s convenient. There won’t be any need for proof.

These are people that believe in welfare queens. There will just be kulaks and wreckers making their perfect system not work via subterfuge and sabotage. If things keep fucking up, they’ll postulate some kind of mega-, ultra-welfare queen.

wrenchwench  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:07:19am

re: #71 Anymouse

There will be abortions with or without Roe. Plus black market RU-486.

Eclectic Cyborg  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:07:23am

I keep hearing the Presidents speech from Independence Day in my head:

“We will not go quietly into the night.
We will not vanish without a fight.
We’re going to live on.
We’re going to survive.”

Targetpractice  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:07:28am

re: #88 No Depression

I don’t know how I’m going to be able to live with my parents after this.

Join the club, I went to bed earlier this morning with my dad’s thrilled hollering about the election ringing in my head. I have no fucking clue how I’m gonna face him tonight.

Anymouse  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:08:01am

re: #74 nines09

Like I said I got some culling to do.

Would that rare disease be Dupuytren’s Contractures? I suffer from that disorder, and have had four hand surgeries to try and correct it (with partial success).

Now that the VA medical system will be up for grabs for privatisation, I’m stuck.

Targetpractice  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:09:17am

re: #95 wrenchwench

There will be abortions with or without Roe. Plus black market RU-486.

Yes, but it will be like the days before RvW: The rich will fly their daughters to countries where it remains legal, while the poor will either settle for back-alley solutions or send off their daughters to “live with relatives” for nine months.

ObserverArt  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:09:19am

re: #29 Timothy Watson

If that was a joke, it was poorly timed.

If not, I just don’t where to start…

Tim, you may have missed it, because I was stuck in the last thread (hey CuriousL…you are not the only one!)…but I just wanted to say…again…

Thanks for your help on Hillary’s campaign. You done good.

Same to all the others that worked the campaign!

No Depression  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:09:34am

I think Trump’s created huge divisions between Boomer parents and their Millennial kids that may never heal.

Smith25's Liberal Thighs  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:10:03am

For all in the Cincinnati area and close by:

My Brother in law works downtown, and apparently there are alerts being sent out concerning the case over the shooting death of Samuel DuBose on the campus of University of Cincinnati.(Guessing there is about to be a verdict)

If this case goes the way that many of us fear it will, in addition to a not guilty for the occupiers of Federal Land in Oregon, plus all of the other not guilty/not charged officer shootings of unarmed people of color…AND last nights results…

I feel awful, and somewhat helpless…

Charles Johnson  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:10:15am

The Rage Furby is manically gloating, of course.

Anymouse  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:10:31am

re: #93 calochortus

Meanwhile we are in for a bumpy ride.

Nope, that is central to the GOP platform, and what the majority in Congress want.

They are both toast.

baileylamb  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:10:44am

re: #101 No Depression

Naw the “kids” did that by not voting. I say this as an early millennial who has always voted.

Citizen K  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:10:55am

re: #93 calochortus

Meanwhile we are in for a bumpy ride.

The problem will still be how to re-re-litigate those fights if they’re successful in overturning them in the first place, because even if folks get buyer’s remorse, you’re still likely to have a full bulwark in Congress to stop efforts to return those rights cold.

The problem with buyer’s remorse is that it’s far easier to fuck something up than to make-up on the fuck-up.

wrenchwench  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:11:07am

re: #99 Targetpractice

It will be bad, but it will not be that bad. Some progress cannot be turned by law.

Franklin  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:11:19am

How apropos. A vox-splainer

Targetpractice  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:12:21am

The Rage Furby is manically gloating, of course.

This should be saved to bring up every fucking time some idiot in the media says that Trump now has to “bring the country together.” The people around him don’t want to bring the country together, they won this election through dividing as many people as possible. They got the power they wanted and now they’re going to use it to settle as many scores as possible in four years.

Anymouse  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:12:22am

re: #107 wrenchwench

Wanna bet?

Citizen K  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:12:36am

The Rage Furby is manically gloating, of course.

The fact that this fuckwit keeps failing upward is proof that there is no god. He gets to be happy by helping make us miserable. There really is no justice here.

Targetpractice  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:12:43am

re: #107 wrenchwench

Wanna make a bet?

Dr. Matt  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:13:40am

re: #55 No Depression

See the dubyah years. The right blamed every dubyah failure on Clinton and Carter. True story.

wrenchwench  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:13:42am

re: #110 Anymouse

Wanna bet?

Did you read the Menstrual Extraction article? Do you know how available RU 486 is?

No Depression  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:13:51am

re: #108 Franklin

How apropos. A vox-splainer

Fuck that.

wrenchwench  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:14:21am

re: #112 Targetpractice

Wanna make a bet?

The law can be changed. The science will not be forgotten.

Citizen K  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:14:33am

re: #109 Targetpractice

This. The election has essentially given them carte blanche to declare target practice on all their enemies. The liberals, the ‘other’, the ‘race traitors’, the media, all were kept in target sights the entire campaign, some quite literally, and this is only going to embolden them to pull the trigger soon as possible. They want blood, and they’re chomping at the bit to get it.

BlueSpotinAL  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:14:58am

re: #55 No Depression

That is why Ryan is trying to get away with calling Trump’s victory a mandate. Saying “America” wants it, instead of GOP.

Ziggy_TARDIS  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:14:59am

re: #93 calochortus

LGBT rights being taken is definitely going to cause a backlash.

calochortus  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:15:18am

Ya know, I probably should have paid more attention to my sister-in-law. In 2008 she was a strong Hillary supporter, this time around she voted for her, but had lost her enthusiasm. Since we don’t talk all that often, and this was months ago, the conversation moved on and I failed to ask her why. It might have been instructive.

HappyWarrior  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:15:21am

What we’re going to have to is work with people we may have some disagreements on to stop Trump’s worst. To me, the big issue is going to be criminal justice. I’m in no mood for purity contests.

HappyWarrior  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:15:49am

re: #119 Ziggy_TARDIS

LGBT rights being taken is definitely going to cause a backlash.

It will.

Kragar  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:16:04am

re: #99 Targetpractice

Right now, you can still purchase morning after pills over the counter in CA.

I will send them to anyone who requires them

HappyWarrior  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:16:56am

re: #123 Kragar

Right now, you can still purchase morning after pills over the counter in CA.

I will send them to anyone who requires them

You’re a good man.

calochortus  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:18:37am

I’d better get back to what I was doing.
Meanwhile, let’s try not to despair. It’s likely going to be bad, but with luck we can see where to work to make it better.

Anymouse  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:19:23am

re: #107 wrenchwench

NBC Nightly News: In a move that surprised no one, the President today signed a bill outlawing all abortion. While civil society groups are expected to appeal to the courts, the 6-3 conservative court will likely hold the law constitutional.

It is also expected the Federal Personhood bill will pass with a wide margin.

CBS Evening News: Representative Paul Ryan (R-WI) has achieved one of his long-sought goals today, passing on to President Trump a bill which will privatise the Social Security Trust Fund. It is expected that major banks and hedge funds will administer the fund.

PBS News Hour (funded by Koch Industries): All Things Considered discusses why the progressive experiment started by Franklin Delano Roosevelt was doomed to failure.

No Depression  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:19:44am
Anymouse  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:20:29am

re: #114 wrenchwench

Yeah, it ain’t available here. You can’t force a pharmacy to prescribe it if they don’t carry it. Internet pharmacies are well known for their purity and quality control of counterfeits.

Belafon  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:21:07am

re: #126 Anymouse

This one will be interesting. It blew up in Bush’s face at the beginning of his second term.

Dr Lizardo  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:21:27am

re: #127 No Depression

This kumbayah bullshit is not what I want to hear right now:

Obama to Clinton Voters: ‘We Go Forward With a Presumption of Good Faith in Our Fellow Citizens’

With all due respect Mr. President, I have no presumption of good faith of a fellow American citizen who happens to be a member of the KKK.

Scottishdragon  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:21:34am

The GOP school board candidate who wants to force me out of my teaching job was elected last night.

wrenchwench  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:22:06am

re: #126 Anymouse

It is also expected the Federal Personhood bill will pass with a wide margin.

Did you read the article on Menstrual Extraction? I’m not talking about illegality. I’m talking availability. It ain’t going to the alleys.

Ziggy_TARDIS  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:22:54am

That is something that might blow up in Paul’s face too.

Anymouse  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:22:59am

Not any more. The GOP controls both houses and will control the Federal courts, and have convinced their voters this is the right thing to do.

Archangelus  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:23:00am
Targetpractice  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:23:06am

re: #116 wrenchwench

The law can be changed. The science will not be forgotten.

The science doesn’t have to be forgotten, it only has to be suppressed. We talk about the nuclear genie, but most of the stories about clandestine nuclear programs always contain the same element: An outside expert being brought in to fill in the puzzle pieces so that even the poorest countries can avoid running their own Manhattan Projects.

When the importation and sale of RU-486 is banned so that it ends up on the black market, then what? Then we start reading stories in the paper about girls being caught and sent away for years for possession. After that is horror stories about counterfeit drugs being sold that killed or irreparably scarred young girls, adding to the cultural sigma against using it. Not to mention the women who safely aborted and were found out, getting tried and sent away on “murder” convictions for violating the National Personhood Laws.

wrenchwench  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:23:12am

re: #128 Anymouse

I guess I live too close to Mexico to see anything as ‘unavailable’.

Timothy Watson  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:23:15am

re: #79 Kragar

Trump will roll back Obama’s LGBT rights protections, Mike Pence confirms

I had a gay Republican friend I defriended on Facebook over him supporting Trump.

I ought to send him that link.

Citizen K  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:23:26am

re: #127 No Depression

This kumbayah bullshit is not what I want to hear right now:

He said what he needed to say, no matter how much he does or doesn’t believe it. Can you imagine the full on shitstorm if he said otherwise? There’d likely be an armed mob at the White House within the hour.

Kragar  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:25:35am

How has my morning gone?

“Hi. I’m calling about the paperwork I submitted over this insurance policy. I was taking it over after my Grandmother passed away, but I haven’t heard anything back from you.”

“Yes, we got that, so it reverted over to her spouse.”

“… My grandfather died over a decade ago.”

“Well, we sent the paperwork to his address, but we’ve not gotten anything back from him yet.”

“HE. DIED. YEARS. AGO. When were you planning on notifying me so I could correct this?”

“You should be getting the paperwork soon.”

“The paperwork you mailed to my dead grandparents, not to me, because I’m the one trying to take ownership of the policy?”

“That is correct, Sir.”

Anymouse  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:26:24am

re: #132 wrenchwench

It will be illegal. Forced birthers want to make termination of ectopic pregnancy illegal.

What part of a bill that says “abortion in all forms is illegal” is hard to understand?

Trump gave away the game when he said he thought women who sought abortion should be punished. (To be clear, the forced-birth movement has always thought that, Trump just took away the dog whistle.)

Targetpractice  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:26:29am

re: #139 Kryptik: Just Done With It.

I recognize that he has to play to a certain script. But when I’ve got the worst of Americans yelling in my ear that even I as a white Anglo male have no protection from their anger, it’s rather hard to buy that I have to presume they’re acting in good faith.

lawhawk  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:26:40am

re: #134 Anymouse

Even though the GOP will end up controlling Congress, the Executive, and will get to impose their will on the courts, it will take time before a case to overturn Obergefell or Roe gets heard. And the Court wont be quick to overturn a decision from this past decade (stare decisis).

But those rights will be under assault, and the backlog of cases resulting from refusing to fill Scalia’s seat will mean that civil rights and the rights of the individual will be under assault.

Belafon  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:26:45am

re: #134 Anymouse

They controlled all three branches back then, too. When he brought it up, the public went against it.

Not saying they won’t try again, just pointing out it’s been brought up before.

Stanley Sea  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:27:09am
Kragar  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:27:20am

re: #127 No Depression

I cannot presume good faith from anyone who supports Trump

Targetpractice  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:28:03am

re: #145 Stanley Sea

“Climate skeptic.”

Orwell is spinning like a damned dynamo in his grave.

dog philosopher ஐஒஔ௸  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:28:15am

personally i don’t think the outcome was because clinton ‘lost’, particularly

looks to me like the rust belt done riz up and roared in pain

Amory Blaine  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:28:26am

re: #64 calochortus

This is the consolation we had in 2004. Then they destroyed the economy.

wrenchwench  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:28:40am

re: #141 Anymouse

The ability to enforce it.

Skip Intro  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:28:47am

Time to repost the late, great Hunter S.Thompson’s autopsy of the Nixon/McGovern election so many years ago:

This may be the year when we finally come face to face with ourselves; finally just lay back and say it — that we are really just a nation of 220 million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns, and no qualms at all about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable. The tragedy of all this is that George McGovern, for all his mistakes… understands what a fantastic monument to all the best instincts of the human race this country might have been, if we could have kept it out of the hands of greedy little hustlers like Richard Nixon. McGovern made some stupid mistakes, but in context they seem almost frivolous compared to the things Richard Nixon does every day of his life, on purpose… Jesus! Where will it end? How low do you have to stoop in this country to be President?

Lower than Dr. Thompson could ever imagine, and we haven’t hit bottom yet.

Charles Johnson  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:29:39am

I lost about 80 followers on Twitter overnight. Probably Trump fans who followed me for harassment purposes.

KGxvi  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:29:40am

I had a few thoughts, so I paged them… For a brief moment, I almost miss having my own blog.

Timothy Watson  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:29:44am

dXMtLJqO/U6TD/Zn392IWLif38sRVzQxbWqObKxp891n1dgNs32ycIPM62yzGlrju0fprvPkvb6W24z1Ebwn4mTyMnrdtJO4nG9vWzBPdacmrJqrMEkx21i4StPgkS6EwJCFCWA1azSTZ0HTqvG4r/KPRImGiyrcIZjKn0CIXD64bbQ0o6ZLot51Vs4uziY8fHSOOTipZS70KLndVFZ/cg==

Citizen K  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:30:09am

re: #142 Targetpractice

You don’t have to buy it or presume it. But it’s cold bloodless, unfair politics that the only people that get rewarded for anger in America are white conservative males. The paeans have to be made so there’s some example of decency that can be made to fight for, since Trump and gang sure as hell aren’t going to show any. I wouldn’t be surprised if Obama punched a car in private after saying that, personally.

Targetpractice  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:30:21am

re: #150 wrenchwench

The ability to enforce it.

Clinics will be closed, hospitals will be scared shitless of losing federal funding, and doctors will fear prosecution for being even accused of doing the procedures or prescribing the drugs.

So where exactly do you expect abortions to be done if not in back alleys?

Timothy Watson  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:30:25am

I guess Putin shut down the troll farm as soon as the election was over.

Anymouse  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:30:41am

re: #143 lawhawk

They don’t need a case to overturn Obergefell. All they need to do is pass a law.

After that, it is on the defenders of civil rights to bring it before the courts. This isn’t hard. Supreme Court decisions have been frequently overturned by passing new laws.

No Depression  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:30:51am

I feel like I’m in a deep depression I might never get out of.

dog philosopher ஐஒஔ௸  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:31:06am

re: #126 Anymouse

this is the one that worries me personally the most

some persons at my place of employment assert that they do not believe president trump would sign such a thing

i find this funny but it hurts to laugh

wrenchwench  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:32:25am

re: #156 Targetpractice

So where exactly do you expect abortions to be done if not in back alleys?

Living rooms. Did you read the Menstrual Extraction article?

Jebediah, RBG  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:32:42am

re: #77 Targetpractice

I was just thinking the same thing, but my assumption is that howling from the crazies will force them to nuke it anyway.

BlueSpotinAL  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:33:01am

What needs to be done is to hold people who voted for Trump responsible for the consequences. Harassment of school children? Shine the light of day on it, connect it to racist and religious bigotry. Rolling back Obama’s LGBTQ executive actions? Make sure your friends know how people are directly affected. Don’t accuse anybody explicitly! - eventually enough who can become ashamed will be. It only takes a couple of percent. This attitude will need to stick for a lifetime - it is not enough to get rid of Trump, but anybody else who encourages bigotry of all sorts.

Scottishdragon  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:33:05am

re: #149 Amory Blaine

This is the consolation we had in 2004. Then they destroyed the economy.

This time…no bail out. If the banks go under, they go under.

We did the right thing in trying to save the economy and we got slammed for it. If elections have consequences, than American voters need to understand those consequences.

I think a massive depression will be the result of a Trump trade war…and a shooting war as well if China decides to retaliate by blockading Taiwan, but that is what was voted for.

After we lose an aircraft carrier battlegroup, the PLAN is a smoking ruins and thousands of people are dead on both sides while we relive all the hit economic moments of 1934, we can ask Trump voters how this is working out for all of us.

Dr Lizardo  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:33:19am

re: #160 dog philosopher ஐஒஔ௸

this is the one that worries me personally the most

i find this funny but it hurts to laugh

It’s long been said that Social Security is the third rail of American politics. Guess we’re gonna find out if that old adage is true.

Franklin  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:34:02am
Scottishdragon  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:34:07am

re: #156 Targetpractice

So where exactly do you expect abortions to be done if not in back alleys?

Rod Dreher will be pleased.

Decatur Deb  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:34:32am

re: #154 Timothy Watson

KsPEa7XAUYHajC7GmCcHclvSy2b1Z7BHCu330RhVL+ipcojol2Y7ZkTBs0TvksBfGKGqmNUYwYq7Zz2tQ6+Q8d64q3IOwP98lB0c55Pm/42rKQjxGD5/zDq0/sX2eNITLdy+WbxT2lLP54anm+2OPMcQRPRkNhkIm7cQQ/x/vDmka9lzdVDFsbvb5zuWrSuhKE2gui/EHAlbE5R1xBtwp4zizbpIBjzxVMoVo7GBOgYi6YjnZorpMb6vZke3zV8sSPAm0aoneaNDBg9JzwgkJPcRhUbcPO8c

Targetpractice  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:34:58am

re: #161 wrenchwench

Living rooms. Did you read the Menstrual Extraction article?

I did. But you’re getting rather semantic at this point, arguing the difference between a living room and a back alley. The reality is that abortion is going to go back underground, rendered safer but no less illegal.

Barefoot Grin  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:35:48am

re: #131 Scottishdragon

God, I’m sorry to hear that. That’s where so many of these f*cks get their start.

Franklin  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:36:13am
wrenchwench  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:36:47am

re: #169 Targetpractice

Makes a big fucking difference. Abortions will always happen. The safer, the better.

Timothy Watson  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:37:18am

re: #168 Decatur Deb

GTZtUcD5JJPQjbh+fEbtnZX4PPl2Jz2pPBO1p7F1dgzC2SrbTZxmn8pECFaH5Ah5Y/L7bbbJB1c7ytt8ErrV+UtdDGVAYDOCaV77R78ZZBwzKcQUgp75Cw+tdBoNq6NMk5W7fYTEvHC4WdrVrMw/aftyJ9dmBuWaOzaUHHjBfRD5XamTLHwqGJObIPo6Tz11gFAUAZrzfxtYOK2ojH29f95LDD0a46ggoqSjZZeuIEsJonXf+CHs1mTloiDTEEh+ZeOLnL7wTfjtDx1V6xiWSFj4OuAM1fkLM6dHIIwU01F+qM+T8bYFFh1F1VDNJZnV9WZnSkawS6BrfjI6tP/xV0U8/s2lRfTlcQpsE8SxdTMLtES2wFo1dTIOnzdYlFKX1LAOiOQW5knJ/C/2I/KyPJ7kGQYTQqJO/d59MHz5YNvhrXoVpz4Vwu+g/PaQ3DI+IEoO20I9p2NJzIAsexFJkJ2XfUzjgI37oikK0/uhBKDDGY3/vMD7x4pZkSS9TNl6IiswWfXT0QGjOWDt5hN6mg==

Amory Blaine  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:39:56am

re: #127 No Depression

This kumbayah bullshit is not what I want to hear right now:

We got good advice from President Obama today. We could all take a minute to consider Decatur Deb and all the other democrats, who GOTV in Alabama and the panhandle under stressful conditions. Lick our wounds and carry on.

makeitstop  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:40:44am

re: #165 Dr Lizardo

The train’s been switched over to clean coal.

Gotta laugh my rueful laugh here. Today, it’s all I’ve got.

Archangelus  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:45:18am

“Dear President Obama: in your last days in office, is there any chance you could somehow have Seal Team 6 extract this humanoid lump of pond scum and place him right in custody to face those criminal charges of his? Asking for a friend…” /
Decatur Deb  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:45:20am

re: #174 Amory Blaine

A surprising number of Lizards popped up with their experiences, and they often didn’t have the freedom of retirement. Note our LGF Day of Tsuris allows only 8 hrs, 15 minutes more of wound-scraping.

Don’t moan, organize.

BlueSpotinAL  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:46:26am

What needs to be done part 2… is to hold people who voted for Trump responsible for the economic consequences. Those who voted for Trump because of tax cuts need to see the inevitable result on national debt, and cutbacks in spending that will affect everybody (probably the Very Serious People propose cuts in social security and medicare). We must empower people with the information to able to see through the voodoo economic scam, and repeat it in many different ways. The simpler, the better. In many ways, our society’s failure is one of finding and believing reliable information.

Ask a Millillenial if they think they will receive social security. They will probably say no. Then ask them if they will be paying for social security for most of their lifetime, to support the elderly. They will probably say yes. Then ask them if they voted for anybody who would do anything different, and what that would be. Promise that Millenials have social security when they retire - which politicians would do that? Cut social security deductions for those currently working, having to drastically cut the amount given to the people who are retired or close to retirement? Which politician would ever take that risk?

sagehen  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:46:37am

re: #67 Targetpractice

They will anyhow. Don’t pretend you don’t know that.

Myron Falwell (no relation)  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:48:05am

It’s sad to think that this is the most ideal scenario.

Anymouse  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:48:45am

re: #161 wrenchwench

Living rooms. Did you read the Menstrual Extraction article?

Living room qualifies as “back alley,” even if it is not in a literal alley. Moreover, get caught and the new Federal life imprisonment or death penalty applies for violating combinations of practicing medicine without a license, murder, &c.

re: #164 Scottishdragon

This time…no bail out. If the banks go under, they go under.

Sounds like Susan Sarandon’s plan. Screw America, you deserve it. Burn it all down.

I suppose we could try to come up with something a little less destructive? Moreover, Cheeto Jesus’s hands would be on the nukes, which do not require Congress to launch. Loss of an aircraft battle group? I get to sit out in my backyard with popcorn and watch a whole bunch of big Roman candles launch from around my house.

I guess the only abortion clinic in my state will be closing soon.

So long, Planned Parenthood, it was nice knowing you. Thanks for helping my wife out with her female health problem so many years ago that had nothing at all to do with abortion, but you know, ya gotta go because ignorant anti-science religious nuts want you gone.

Why aren’t Christians in the streets marching? Every damn Muslim is responsible for one suicide bomber, why isn’t every Christian responsible for religious wingnuttery?

I hold all Christians responsible for someone like Mike Pence as VP. You are all fifth columnists. Religion is a hateful divisive antiquated method of control. It has not progressed from the time the Church indicted Gallileo (sp) for daring to note the Earth was not the centre of the universe.

The sooner you fablists give up your fables, the sooner we can get rid of science deniers, warfare based on religion, religious bigots, hundreds of billions of dollars of tax money that is lost for supposed “charitable” religious organisations.

You may not have voted for Pence, but your views put him in power. It provided the Fifth Column cover needed to strip the LGBT, women, and many other people of their rights in the name of religion.

Rocky-in-Connecticut  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:52:55am

Trump has a target square on his back. Republicans in Congress have a very explicit set of demands they want addressed before anything else is done:

Repeal Obamacare Day One. Replace with …. nothing of substance or practical benefit for ordinary Americans. Monthly rates are going to get very high for those who are actually sick. Once again we will be a nation where a significant minority cannot get any health insurance at all for pre-existing conditions or lack of funds.

Religious Freedom Amendment to the Constitution. It will be written so that local and state authorities can determine which specific religions and traditions are recognized and which are not.

The ability to discriminate against anyone for any reason will be legislated into existence. Local Public officials will be free to basically make up their own law from their clerical desk, a song as it ines up with more senior Republican political ideas.

NATO is toast. Trump’s plan to force them to “pay their share” does not jibe with an EU public that demands they locally prioritize health care over military budget. Trump will crater NATO participation in response. Putin is free to take back the Balkans and harass Poland.

The Mexico Wall is a real thing, and will cost Trillions. It will be built by Republican-friendly contractors It will be left halfway finished before abandoned …but not before stuffing the pockets of Repubican multi-millionaires and Trump golf buddies.

The budget deficit is going to explode once again as taxes for the wealthiest 1% are cut drastically, currently 39.6% to Trump’s proposed 33%. But this is just the start. The Republicans will fight for a 15% flat tax. Military budget increases will accelerate. Did I mention the budget deficit is going to explode upwards once again?

There will be the start of a noticeable Brain Drain out of the country- not very large at first, a few celebrities here and there, a few scientists and Nobel Prize winners. But as the new Christian States of America is made manifest more professors, technology leaders, and humanities and arts notables will leave for better shores, mainly in Europe.

Buckle your seat belts. This is going to be a very different country 2 years from now. We are in the final throws of the baby boomer generation throwing their muscle around. I have said before on this forum they awill not go down quietly. They are starting to exert their great sense of entitlement one last time before their death from old age.

If Trump does not follow their agenda to a tee they will not hesitate to use the scandal-ridden baggage he comes with to “trump up” a quick impeachment process and install Pence as King. This is the man they really want on the iron throne.

Ziggy_TARDIS  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:53:40am

re: #180 Myron Falwell (no relation)

It’s also a very plausible scenario.

Stanley Sea  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:55:53am

re: #168 Decatur Deb

I think I need to see that comment as well.

ObserverArt  Nov 9, 2016 • 11:57:08am

re: #114 wrenchwench

Is…or maybe about to become was?

Decatur Deb  Nov 9, 2016 • 12:00:22pm

re: #184 Stanley Sea

xaWJEnvFTA+Qhc6CbrHwFYokm9o5cpqciM3yb1nU5ZFIqZR+1fssfAWu/RJMgq8mVbjZt0wHOvERA66MB/nSrkfLPkg9jMClwEoif60fw3N98rwJl5RiQNi/jfF0/iCMhul8s+DCYtUdUSTTOD3qxZMQhT05Z9uYxkphkDpn4Z/k+GdRpV8nTULj5OLxwntjdtwNHxKBwdMjv7qX1WmF+nm7tYLWdP+8

sagehen  Nov 9, 2016 • 12:01:58pm

re: #156 Targetpractice

So where exactly do you expect abortions to be done if not in back alleys?

Canada. England. Bermuda.

Anymouse  Nov 9, 2016 • 12:05:03pm

re: #187 sagehen

Canada. England. Bermuda.

If you have enough money to get to those places.

wrenchwench  Nov 9, 2016 • 12:05:22pm

re: #185 ObserverArt

Is…or maybe about to become was?

It won’t become unavailable world-wide. It’s already on the black market.

Mike Lamb  Nov 9, 2016 • 12:07:09pm

re: #180 Myron Falwell (no relation)

It’s sad to think that this is the most ideal scenario.

All they have to do to fuck up a lot of things is pass a budget.

They can probably get rid of Obamacare, DoE funding, Climate Change funding, and EPA funding, plus pass tax cuts through budgeting and reconciliation. OSHA, CAA, CWA, and similar regs are going to be changed whole hog. Doesn’t even need Congressional approval.

If Obamacare has to be done separately, I expect that bill to be on Trump’s desk day after the inauguration.

The only question is whether and to what extent the filibuster rules are changed, and how entrenched they can get nutballs on all levels of the judiciary.

There is going to be substantial damage done in 2 years.

Anymouse  Nov 9, 2016 • 12:12:07pm

re: #189 wrenchwench

It won’t become unavailable world-wide. It’s already on the black market.

And good luck knowing whether you get the real thing or not. That’s the problem with the black market: An awful lot sold on the black market is not genuine.

Someone dies from poison which is supposed to be RU-486? She deserved it.

Clearly a Country For Sick Old Haters  Nov 9, 2016 • 12:18:51pm

re: #191 Anymouse

Someone dies from poison which is supposed to be RU-486? She deserved it.

n47pDC9Udh6MxpeYpCbqG3Qjyui0oeHmh1CfPS0RgPKxfD8KSpXF9jeP2cziE/a+h6JIKhNfSprrjlBAkMrNFyczqqrDFFh1w16iNzIt2LKOM1Ljav2qy69bZRb5N6KmuJfBo7uKDpDuXJxhcogJT6Fe6frHXkbNSj/dxtOzvJsAOjxwh2mbdmcjtRd1FRo8iUDRchRqntQd/WA0E+9w695lHY6Fxkj1OsdnsMJEheAf2hRh+lwePD6ZItptMjmTh07KUv/mnsfsdZOXu1IFTTm+agKE5cBqo5eBSjUqiktN7JUCMNSMKVcEv2KAoUb1ufH21K1Y4m0=

nines09  Nov 9, 2016 • 12:22:11pm

re: #98 Anymouse

Yes it is, as from what my wife recalls. He had a surgery on his finger, which seemed to correct it, but only came back worse. Now it’s starting on his foot, and it was right after surgery that the foot started. The consensus is the surgeries only make it worse. He was at Cleveland Clinic and one in Cali and Colorado.

wrenchwench  Nov 9, 2016 • 12:24:14pm

re: #191 Anymouse

Someone dies from poison which is supposed to be RU-486? She deserved it.

We’re done.

Decatur Deb  Nov 9, 2016 • 12:34:18pm

re: #194 wrenchwench

Re-read that with the imaginary quotation marks he left off. He’s assuming the personna of a RW, there.

Nyet  Nov 9, 2016 • 12:36:13pm

re: #195 Decatur Deb

OK, seemingly correct. But sheesh. Don’t leave off the quotation marks.

wrenchwench  Nov 9, 2016 • 12:38:48pm

re: #195 Decatur Deb

Thanks. You always give people a more-than-fair chance.

I think I was set up to miss it by the ‘living rooms=back alleys’ comment.

KerFuFFler  Nov 9, 2016 • 12:40:52pm

re: #64 calochortus

Just like during the Reagan years the GOP will greatly increase spending and increase the debt creating a sense that the economy is working. They will commit to infrastructure spending that will create jobs. They are not truly against spending. They just don’t want a democratic president to get any credit for creating jobs and making people feel richer. People will ignore the exploding national debt just like they did under Reagan and W.

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Nov 9, 2016 • 3:25:54pm

re: #73 Mike Lamb

They own it in a bunch states already and it doesn’t matter.

we are in the alternative media reality. their excuses are the accepted reasons

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Nov 9, 2016 • 3:38:49pm

re: #148 dog philosopher ஐஒஔ௸

personally i don’t think the outcome was because clinton ‘lost’, particularly

looks to me like the rust belt done riz up and roared in pain

I really disregarded that Michael Moore article when it came out, but he fucking nailed it:

“From Green Bay to Pittsburgh, this, my friends, is the middle of England - broken, depressed, struggling, the smokestacks strewn across the countryside with the carcass of what we use to call the Middle Class. Angry, embittered working (and nonworking) people who were lied to by the trickle-down of Reagan and abandoned by Democrats who still try to talk a good line but are really just looking forward to rub one out with a lobbyist from Goldman Sachs who’ll write them nice big check before leaving the room. What happened in the UK with Brexit is going to happen here. ...

And this is where the math comes in. In 2012, Mitt Romney lost by 64 electoral votes. Add up the electoral votes cast by Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. It’s 64. All Trump needs to do to win is to carry, as he’s expected to do, the swath of traditional red states from Idaho to Georgia (states that’ll never vote for Hillary Clinton), and then he just needs these four rust belt states. He doesn’t need Florida. He doesn’t need Colorado or Virginia. Just Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. And that will put him over the top. This is how it will happen in November.”

We misunderestimated Mr T in many ways: he might be a boorish narcissist, but he has a genius ear for the voice of disenfranchised Middle Americans and a sense of how to appeal to them

Feline Fearless Leader  Nov 9, 2016 • 4:08:45pm

re: #62 Targetpractice

So gun prices will plummet - and then all the liberals and minorities will arm themselves on the cheap.

Tigger2005  Nov 10, 2016 • 4:50:17am

I guarantee Trump is going to use all the power of his office to try to silence his critics.

ISIS Weapons Being Captured by Canadian Woman Working to Disarm Terrorists Much of the illegally traded weapons are small arms but some -- like the ISIS-made tunnel machine -- demonstrate a level of sophistication never seen before by such a group, according to Morrow. "It's quite unprecedented, the level at ...
Unshaken Defiance
20 seconds ago
The Grifter’s Real Game? Psychology - Science Friday The grifter, the con artist, the flimflammer—the confidence man (or woman) goes by many names. But what the best of them have in common, according to The Confidence Game author Maria Konnikova, is an uncanny knack for understanding human ...
Birth Control Works
52 minutes ago
Perception Scientist Says Reality Is ‘What Proved Useful in the Past’ Later in his explanation, he cites language as a clear example of something that’s part of our reality but only exists in our collective imagination. “It doesn’t exist without us,” he writes. “But it is very much part of ...
Birth Control Works
STEALTHING: the Growing Movement of Men Who Secretly Remove Condoms During Sex Two years ago, a 19-year-old Florida teen posted a call for advice in the subreddit askgaybros. In the post, he said he met a guy on Grindr and went back to his place to hook up. When the guy ...
Birth Control Works
Trump-Free Sunday Mornings-Daily Beast We think it’s time to go on a more balanced Donald Diet—call it a Sabbath for sanity. And that’s why we’re going to embark on a new experiment: Trump-free Sunday mornings. Barring major breaking news, for a few hours ...
Unshaken Defiance
Video: John Muir - The Last Oasis John Muir - The Last Oasis is a short film directed by Michael Coleman a Martinez, California native inspired by the writings of naturalist, author and early advocate of wilderness preservation John Muir. Many of the locations featured in ...
teleskiguy
The Woman Who Saved Lower Manhattan From Becoming a Highway What makes a city? It's not the buildings (skyscrapers) or the streets (traffic), or the banks and government offices and shopping districts sandwiched between them. It's the people. This is obvious nearly to the point of tautology, yet in ...
Birth Control Works
Domestic Violence Shelters Make Plea for State Budget Resolution A group of domestic violence shelter representatives and other human services advocates gathered at Mutual Ground's headquarters in Aurora Wednesday morning to again make a plea for a resolution on the state's budget crisis and to call attention to ...
Birth Control Works
This Wasn’t the First Act of ‘River Piracy’ to Affect the Yukon’s Biggest Lake Image: Kluane11.jpg Author: Dermot Cole, Alaska Dispatch News Canadian geologist John Clague, whose research on Kluane Lake began in 1980, has long believed that the biggest river flowing into the largest lake in the Yukon Territory could be switched ...
Cheechako
BBC Radio 4 - Seriously… - Seriously… - 10 Women Who Changed Sci-Fi 10 Women Who Changed Sci-Fi As the Radio 4 documentary Herland examines how science fiction tackles ideas of gender in future worlds, we present a selection of great female authors who have radically altered the genre... Mary Shelley Credited ...
Birth Control Works