Glenn Beck’s Mea Culpa: “I Played a Role in Helping Tear the Country Apart”

Media • Views: 41,270

This is the irony underlying Beck’s current stance: The same doomsday sensibility that helps him appreciate the menace posed by Trump led him to massively exaggerate the menace posed by Obama—and thus to breed the hateful paranoia on which Trump now feeds. Beck, in fact, pioneered some of Trump’s most disturbing themes. At the beginning of Obama’s first term, Beck repeatedly called the president antiwhite. In 2010, he wondered why Obama “needlessly throws his hat into the ring to defend the Ground Zero mosque. He hosts Ramadan dinners, which a president can do. But then you just add all of this stuff up—his wife goes against the advice of the advisers, jets to Spain for vacation. What does she do there? She hits up the Alhambra palace mosque. Fine, it’s a tourist attraction. But is there anything more to this? Are they sending messages?”

Trump opponents may appreciate Beck’s Hitler analogies now that they’re directed at The Donald. But during the first 14 months of the Obama administration, according to Dana Milbank’s book Tears of a Clown: Glenn Beck and the Tea Bagging of America, Beck and guests on his Fox News show invoked “fascism,” “Nazis,” “Hitler,” “the Holocaust” and “Joseph Goebbels” 487 times. For good measure, Beck in 2007 said that Hillary Clinton sounds like “the stereotypical bitch.”

Beck says he’s sorry for all that. “I played a role, unfortunately,” he told Megyn Kelly during a 2014 interview on Fox News, “in helping tear the country apart.” He told me that now that America has “hit the iceberg,” he wants to help it heal. “I’m not the guy you want at the beginning of the ride on the Titanic, because I’m the guy going out and saying, ‘We’re going to hit ice,’ ” he explained. “But once she starts going down, I’m the guy who would be standing at the lifeboats saying, ‘Relax, it’s going to be okay. Let’s get the women and the children in the boats. Let’s not tear each other apart.’ ”

That’s all well and good, but as Right Wing Watch reported on December 7, he has hardly come to Jesus:

Beck insisted that there was credible evidence that Gutman was “involved in a child sex scandal” but when Clinton was informed of the allegations, she ignored them and simply transferred him to a different embassy. Furthermore, the press mostly ignored the story in an effort to protect Clinton, Beck said, which is what is now giving rise to conspiracy theories like “Pizzagate.”

“When you have the State Department and Hillary Clinton dismissing child sex trafficking, which CBS News was reporting years ago,” Beck said, “when you have Hillary Clinton’s State Department saying, ‘Don’t look into that,’ conspiracy theories begin.”

“So media, before you start pointing fingers at everyone else, start pointing fingers to yourself,” Beck said. “You accepted the fact that Hillary Clinton said, ‘Don’t look into that, let’s move him.’ She did exactly what the Catholic Church did!”

=====

It is therefore no small irony that Beck’s self-righteous rant about how the media failed to do its job by covering the Gutman scandal is entirely undercut by the fact that Beck himself couldn’t be bothered to actually research the case before ranting about it on air today. Because had he done so, he would have found this piece in the Washington Post written by Gutman last year chronicling the false accusations against him and how he was eventually exonerated by the State Department.

More: Why Glenn Beck Is Sorry About Donald Trump - The Atlantic

bratwurst  Dec 9, 2016 • 5:36:48pm

Beck craves attention so much, he doesn’t care if it is positive or negative. He is also the kind of sociopath who will say whatever any given audience wants to hear. That is why he will offer a tearful mea culpa to The Atlantic with one breath, then engage in hateful rumoring mongering for his dumbass radio audience with the next.

Can we all please agree to ignore this insane person now?

Charles Johnson  Dec 9, 2016 • 6:10:54pm

This fucking asshole. He helped tear the country apart because he was making great money by doing it. Fuck Glenn Beck.

Joe Bacon  Dec 9, 2016 • 9:01:07pm

Glenn Beck is just an attention whore. It’s always about him first and he does not give an aerodynamic intercourse aimed at Earth’s natural satellite about anyone else.

Unshaken Defiance  Dec 10, 2016 • 8:31:32am

Ugh that photo! Makes me want to print it and start a dart club.

nines09  Dec 10, 2016 • 8:44:59am

Beck is a cancer.

Myron Falwell (no relation)  Dec 10, 2016 • 10:10:11am

He employs Tomi Lahren and gives her a platform nightly.

That is all.

Amory Blaine  Dec 10, 2016 • 10:17:34am

He probably has the Nazi equivalent of the tanto laying about in his fetish room. He has no honor however.

Belafon  Dec 10, 2016 • 10:18:04am
Myron Falwell (no relation)  Dec 10, 2016 • 10:18:35am

re: #5 nines09

Beck is a cancer.

A friend of mine, who was a board operator for an affiliate of his show long ago, refers to Beck as “Clarabelle, the Human Hemorrhoid.”

Charles Johnson  Dec 10, 2016 • 10:22:28am
Charles Johnson  Dec 10, 2016 • 10:23:56am
HappyWarrior  Dec 10, 2016 • 10:25:01am

re: #7 Amory Blaine

Albert Speer.

wrenchwench  Dec 10, 2016 • 10:26:42am

No offense meant to our own Vicious one.

HappyWarrior  Dec 10, 2016 • 10:28:28am

Jesus. i thought we were going to dodge Bolton.

Barefoot Grin  Dec 10, 2016 • 10:31:40am

re: #13 wrenchwench

No offense meant to our own Vicious one.

Russian nesting dolls—they’re so full of themselves….

Charles Johnson  Dec 10, 2016 • 10:33:01am
KGxvi  Dec 10, 2016 • 10:35:53am

This is like a bad Cold War spy movie playing out in real life. I’m at a complete loss in trying to game this out. Will Congress investigate this? If they do and find direct evidence of Trump colluding, do they impeach? What if Congress doesn’t act but the Cabinet invokes Section 4 of the 25th?

Ace-o-aces  Dec 10, 2016 • 10:40:05am
Belafon  Dec 10, 2016 • 10:43:20am
Barefoot Grin  Dec 10, 2016 • 10:44:50am

There must be any number of Russian pop stars who’d be willing to perform at the inauguration….

Unshaken Defiance  Dec 10, 2016 • 10:47:41am

Seen this? Fuck me.

Belafon  Dec 10, 2016 • 10:50:25am

re: #21 Unshaken Defiance

Seen this? Fuck me.

Hey, Darth!!!

retired cynic  Dec 10, 2016 • 10:54:56am

re: #1 bratwurst

Can we all please agree to ignore this insane person now?

Bookends with Trump.

Charles Johnson  Dec 10, 2016 • 10:55:06am
HappyWarrior  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:01:58am

re: #21 Unshaken Defiance

Seen this? Fuck me.

Makes me sick just thinking about it.

Unshaken Defiance  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:01:59am

Prisma helps me speak in pictures.

HappyWarrior  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:04:07am

Tillerson came up pretty quickly. Never saw his name for anything before. So what cabinet posts are yet to be filled? VA? (I bet he goes with another general for that), Energy, and Agriculture?

electrotek  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:04:44am

Remember that time when Glenn Beck compared Utøya to a ‘Hitler Youth’ camp? He still has yet to apologize for it.

HappyWarrior  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:05:03am

I agree with everyone else though Re: Beck. He had a big role in doing this shit and he was among the worst. He needs to do a lot to fix the damage he’s caused.

HappyWarrior  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:05:21am

re: #28 electrotek

Yep. Fuck him.

ObserverArt  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:07:17am

re: #29 HappyWarrior

He’ll never be fixed to me no matter what he does. I have zero trust in anything he says now and in the future. Too much BS for too long to ever be able to change or to gain respect.

HappyWarrior  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:08:24am

re: #31 ObserverArt

Yeah ditto people like Limbaugh, Lumpy Hannity, and others.

Jebediah, RBG  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:11:26am

re: #31 ObserverArt

I won’t ever trust him either. Remember, back when he was a “morning zoo” DJ, he called a rival DJ and mocked him for his wife’s miscarriage. ON THE AIR.
At his core, there is no honor or decency.

Charles Johnson  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:12:04am
HappyWarrior  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:12:58am

This really isn’t good.

Barefoot Grin  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:14:16am

Remember when Pres. Obama was asked about “rigged” elections and he said something like ‘only take it seriously if someone who is overwhelmingly favored ends up losing’? That was around the time select members of Congress were given the report. I think he knew something was up and was signaling. (Adjusts tinfoil hat….)

HappyWarrior  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:16:58am

I feel sick all over again just thinking about this. It was disappointing enough for Clinton to have lost. But for all this? Man I’m angry as hell but I don’t know what can be done but it’s obvious that the GOP Majority in Congress just doesn’t care.

Citizen K  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:18:13am

re: #37 HappyWarrior

We’ve had a literal coup in our country, and it feels like there’s nothing we can do about it anymore.

Belafon  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:18:31am

re: #37 HappyWarrior

“Who would have thought it would be the Republican party that was full of communists.”

Yes, the last term is not accurate. But there are plenty of people who will hate it.

Barefoot Grin  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:19:01am

re: #37 HappyWarrior

I agree. I wish the EC would do it’s job, but I’m not sanguine about any outcome. If somehow HRC were to become President Elect we’d probably have violence all over America. No way Trump supporters would take it without creating havoc.

HappyWarrior  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:19:01am

re: #38 Citizen K

Yeah I feel powerless.

HappyWarrior  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:19:49am

re: #40 Barefoot Grin

Yeah that’s what I’ve been thinking about. Even if the EC somehow were to change the results, the Trump supporters would go ballistic and be even omre violent than they already are.

allegro  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:21:37am

re: #40 Barefoot Grin

And they would be put down like the rabid creatures they are in fairly short order. The alternative is… what we’re seeing happen. This cannot be fixed.

Belafon  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:22:41am

re: #38 Citizen K

It’s not a coup. As much as I am angry over the election flipping like this, a good chunk of this lies with the American people. It’s not that hard to go “what’s so big about her emails” and find out nothing. I will take some of the blame for thinking they would do that and thinking that Clinton could get elected, but Russia didn’t hack computers (as far as we know) and flip votes.

This can be used against Republicans. Everything they do will have the “Has it been approved by Russians?” question hanging over it.

Dr Lizardo  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:24:30am

re: #40 Barefoot Grin

Unfortunately, you’re right. The country would explode in violence. Not a good deal of organized violence per se, but more sporadic, violent lone-wolf type events.

Kafitrar  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:26:32am

From downstairs:
re: #209 HappyWarrior

Wonder if he knows that a lot of the “Neoliberal” Dem establishment is backing Ellison. Honestly, I’m sick of this purity shit about “Neoliberals”, the party is honestly more progressive than it ever has been. Those who look to the 60’s ignore that the party still had Jim Crow believers in it then.

I don’t know. He posted a link to a Glenn Greenwald column about a smear campaign against Ellison by prominent Democrats.

Stanley Sea  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:26:33am

re: #45 Dr Lizardo

Trump & Bannon would egg them on.

Belafon  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:27:01am

Make your fear into anger, and make your anger into action. If we don’t do what we can, with other like minded people, it will get worse. It’s our job to stand up and make Trump and the Republicans pay for this.

HappyWarrior  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:27:33am

It’s just an ugly situation either way and Trump played on the ugliness that existed in our nation masterfully. He even admits that the whole lock her up thing was just a ploy. But hey a lot of them don’t really care. Their team won and that’s the only thing that really matters especially to their leadership. It’s how Ryan and McConnell, whose own wife will be in Trump’s cabinet can let bygones be bygones. Trump hasn’t changed since he won. He’s stlil the ugly man he was before the election. Fuck the Republican Party first for nominating this despicable dipshit and fuck them twice for staying with him.

HappyWarrior  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:27:55am

re: #46 Kafitrar

From downstairs:

Greenwald’s such a hack.

Jebediah, RBG  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:32:39am

re: #45 Dr Lizardo

The country would explode in violence.

I understand and believe that, but I am absolutely not willing to hand over our country to Trumputin. The price might be high, but we have to keep our country.

PhillyPretzel  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:33:24am

This is what happens when a bully runs for office. He has a big show upfront and behind the scenes he is gathering all the information he can to smear his opposition and put fear into those who oppose him within his own party.

Charles Johnson  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:33:49am
Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:34:10am

What have the Koch Brothers been up to lately? Their name has hardly been mentioned since well before the election? Surely their billions are not hard at work buying influence somewhere…

Dr Lizardo  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:35:18am

re: #47 Stanley Sea

Trump & Bannon would egg them on.

I have little doubt about that whatsoever.

Amory Blaine  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:35:31am

Anyone see DD around? Hope he’s OK.

Skip Intro  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:35:48am

re: #45 Dr Lizardo

Better that than a takeover of our government by Russia.

Dr Lizardo  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:36:46am

re: #51 Jebediah, RBG

Oh, I certainly agree. Keeping our country is paramount.

Joe Bacon  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:38:29am

re: #37 HappyWarrior

That’s because the RepubliKKKlans sold their souls to Putin.

retired cynic  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:39:34am

Here’s a thing from Huffington, discussing a court remedy if fraud is proven.

huffingtonpost.com

Charles Johnson  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:42:34am
Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:45:58am

I think Glen is well down the road to obscurity and irrelevance.

But give him some due credit for being against Trump.

PhillyPretzel  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:46:47am

re: #60 retired cynic

I remember that election. I was part of the Bruce S Marks team at the time for a college project. There was nothing untoward that happened in the Marks campaign that I witnessed. Stimpson had many people who were getting senior citizens to fill out absentee ballots even if they were not registered to vote.

Shiplord Kirel  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:50:00am

It’s interesting that when liberals talk about a need to arm themselves they tend to focus on shotguns, while conservatives and crypto-fascists focus on handguns and military style rifles. This may be another example of reality having a liberal bias, or vice versa. In truth, shotguns have it all over rifles and handguns in real world self-defense and home defense scenarios. Their chief advantage is stopping power, which is an order of magnitude better than typical handguns and better than all but the most powerful big game rifles. This is followed closely by cost, reliability, and the versatility provided by the myriad types of shotgun ammunition.
There is no sick fantasy here of confronting the national army, or sniping at UN peacekeepers or mowing down hordes of drug crazed “others” who will pour out of their inner city lair to loot and rape “when the welfare checks stop.”
There is just brutal reality and a real solution to some possibly brutal problems.

Charles Johnson  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:51:35am
allegro  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:54:16am

re: #62 Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))

I think Glen is well down the road to obscurity and irrelevance.

But give him some due credit for being against Trump.

Won’t give him credit for finding his new angle to try to keep the $ rolling in.

Timothy Watson  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:59:16am

Even a dead god can dream…

(Sorry, been playing Mass Effect 2.)

retired cynic  Dec 10, 2016 • 11:59:32am

Charlie Pierce leaves no diphthong unturned on this story. Wow.

“Do I believe the story? Of course, I do. Do I trust the CIA? Not implicitly, but I trust Marty Baron, and he wouldn’t have come within 10 miles of publishing this story unless he was extremely sure of its sourcing and its material. I also believe the story because of the truthless and lame-assed rapid response that came from the Trump transition team.”

esquire.com

b.d.  Dec 10, 2016 • 12:01:41pm

I can’t wait for Trump to twittershame the loser of the Army/Navy game…

Backwoods_Sleuth  Dec 10, 2016 • 12:03:09pm

re: #40 Barefoot Grin

They aren’t even taking winning without creating havoc.

electrotek  Dec 10, 2016 • 12:06:12pm

Terrorist attack in Istanbul right now. Besiktas Stadium was targeted

Unshaken Defiance  Dec 10, 2016 • 12:06:20pm

re: #64 Shiplord Kirel

Like every time we have one of these gun buy rush / sales bubbles for some reason I wish everyone buying would think this through and through. Get some good advice spend more time. The line officers are seeing this already at the range-guys with shiny new “bullet button” AR-15 bought very recently under a deadline.

Dr Lizardo  Dec 10, 2016 • 12:16:12pm

re: #71 electrotek

Terrorist attack in Istanbul right now. Besiktas Stadium was targeted

Oh, no.

electrotek  Dec 10, 2016 • 12:16:29pm
wrenchwench  Dec 10, 2016 • 12:19:53pm

OK, fun found me. A guy got here on his bike with a garden hose in his back tire, because he REEEALLLLY didn’t want to walk the 2 miles to get here and buy a tube. He only had a dollar more than the price of the tube, and I charge $5 for installation, but he had worked sooooooooooooo hard to get it in there, and I thought it would be easy for me to get it out because I have tire levers. Nope. It was difficult. Very difficult. But I got a dollar for doing it!

GlutenFreeJesus  Dec 10, 2016 • 12:20:14pm

re: #52 PhillyPretzel

I think trump is working closer with Russia himself personally. He’s got so much dirt on everyone, thanks to Wikileaks. That’s why they aren’t opposing him.

lawhawk  Dec 10, 2016 • 12:22:34pm

Russia interferes in US election on behalf of guy whose attitude towards Russia has been blase at best, and downright supportive of Russian policy positions re: Syria, Ukraine, Eastern Europe, NATO, and elsewhere.

CIA finds that Russia is interfering.

Trump waves it off, all while saying that those who are hacking should continue hacking.

Russian hackers follow through.

Wikileaks gets involved, releasing the data Russia uncovers.

CIA identifies Russia explicitly is engaging in trying to tip the election in Trump’s favor.

Trump goes “who me?”

Wikileaks goes and argues that the CIA is going after them - based on the article that Russia was involved; giving away the game.

Have I missed anything?

Oh yes - the GOP response to all this. It’s been from Ryan and McConnell on down a great big ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. And Trump continues surrounding himself with people who have close ties to Russia, whether it’s Manafort (who is still in Trump orbit) or Tillerson, or otherwise will wink and nod in Russia’s direction.

That the GOP has turned an active blind eye to this shows the depravity behind their craven need for unlimited power to unravel decades of social and economic progress.

Make America Great Again? It’s a recipe for absolute disaster. Which is precisely how the Russians want it, since they get to expand their sphere of influence throughout the world while the US is busy consuming itself in a fit of self-immolation brought about by the GOP intent to “purify” the government of progressive and liberal influences. You know, like ridding departments of people who adhere to facts and logic (see EPA, Energy Dept, etc.).

JasonA  Dec 10, 2016 • 12:25:04pm

re: #64 Shiplord Kirel

I’ve been giving the idea of getting a shotgun some serious thought lately, so I’m gonna take that as a compliment.

lawhawk  Dec 10, 2016 • 12:26:14pm

CIA finds that Russia is interfering.

Russian hackers follow through.

Wikileaks gets involved, releasing the data Russia uncovers.

Trump goes “who me?”

Have I missed anything?

JasonA  Dec 10, 2016 • 12:28:08pm

re: #77 lawhawk

CIA finds that Russia is interfering.

Russian hackers follow through.

Wikileaks gets involved, releasing the data Russia uncovers.

Trump goes “who me?”

Have I missed anything?

It makes a lot more sense when you realize that years of disinformation and angry rhetoric have led the right to see Democratic ideas as a bigger threat to “America” than Russia is.

Dr Lizardo  Dec 10, 2016 • 12:30:43pm

Someone caught the Istanbul explosion on video, from a distance.

JasonA  Dec 10, 2016 • 12:32:39pm

re: #81 Dr Lizardo

Holy crap.

PhillyPretzel  Dec 10, 2016 • 12:34:21pm

re: #81 Dr Lizardo

OMG

Teukka  Dec 10, 2016 • 12:35:05pm

re: #81 Dr Lizardo

Someone caught the Istanbul explosion on video, from a distance.

Oh [Redacted]

Dr Lizardo  Dec 10, 2016 • 12:36:08pm

re: #82 JasonA

re: #83 PhillyPretzel

re: #84 Teukka

Yeah, that’s a pretty big damn explosion.

makeitstop  Dec 10, 2016 • 12:36:53pm

re: #81 Dr Lizardo

Someone caught the Istanbul explosion on video, from a distance.

That must have been a goddamn huge bomb.

Eclectic Cyborg  Dec 10, 2016 • 12:37:01pm

The fucking Titanic still sank.

And who were the majority of survivors? That’s right: rich white folks.

Romantic Heretic  Dec 10, 2016 • 12:45:37pm

“Who would have thought it would be the Republican party that was full of communists useful idiots.”

FTFY.

Timothy Watson  Dec 10, 2016 • 12:49:32pm

re: #81 Dr Lizardo

Someone caught the Istanbul explosion on video, from a distance.

Anyone grab the video? Original poster has his tweets protected now.

William Lewis  Dec 10, 2016 • 12:49:43pm

re: #64 Shiplord Kirel

I’m going to take a moment and pass along a recommendation from an old police officer friend of mine. (He was a cop for decades a only pulled his side arm once - to use it as a black jack. The armorer, after fixing his revolver, then issued him a real black jack. )

On the subject of shotguns for home defense, they are good. Get one as short as you legally can without a tax stamp - Remington, Mossberg, Maverick are all good pump shotguns in descending order of cost - you want to be able to maneuver in the tight hallways of most homes.

20 gauge is better than 12. More than enough shot in 3” shells and significantly less recoil and flinch.

DO NOT USE BUCKSHOT. Use bird shot instead - #5 or #6 is best. A chest full will stop any attacker but will not go through a wall into the next room. My friend, decades later, still has nightmares of a baby killed by her father shooting buckshot at a home invader in the next room over. Birdshot would not have penetrated the wall.

Charles Johnson  Dec 10, 2016 • 12:49:49pm
Charles Johnson  Dec 10, 2016 • 12:50:36pm

re: #89 Timothy Watson

Anyone grab the video? Original poster has his tweets protected now.

Click the video button.

thecommodore  Dec 10, 2016 • 12:50:55pm

re: #29 HappyWarrior

He would need a public break with the right like the one Charles made back in 2009, or the one David Brock made in the late 90’s, and publicly recant everything he said. He could write a book about that, as Brock did, but if he catalogued every lie he told, every conspiracy theory he peddled, all the fear he mongered, the book would probably be longer than The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich.

Charles Johnson  Dec 10, 2016 • 12:59:46pm
wrenchwench  Dec 10, 2016 • 1:04:10pm
Stanley Sea  Dec 10, 2016 • 1:04:25pm

Saying 20 injured. If that’s correct it is very fortunate.

electrotek  Dec 10, 2016 • 1:05:48pm

re: #96 Stanley Sea

Still early so I wouldn’t hold my breath. Remember the 24 hour rule applies as well.

Charles Johnson  Dec 10, 2016 • 1:10:46pm

If you start Googling this claim that the US “funded ISIS and Al Qaeda” you end up in a deep dark rabbit hole of far left insanity.

Targetpractice  Dec 10, 2016 • 1:14:19pm

Not simply far left craziness. Remember, according to the wingnuts of the far right, the reason for Benghazi was because the CIA was operating a gun running operation out of their annex and the State Dept (read: Hillary) knew about it and was covering their asses by lying about what happened. An operation that, in their wildest conspiracy theories, she helped initiate through the overthrow of Col. Mo’s rule so that Sydney Blumenthal could make a mint selling guns to the rebels.

jaunte  Dec 10, 2016 • 1:15:38pm
thecommodore  Dec 10, 2016 • 1:18:41pm

re: #41 HappyWarrior

Yeah I feel powerless.

That is exactly what conservatives/Trump supporters/wingnuts (because they really are one and the same, when you get right down to it) want you to feel and to be. They’ve had this blinding and pathological hatred of liberals and “The Left” for almost 50 years now, stoked and nurtured by Republicans during this time (which is what makes the Never Trumpers so incredibly disingenuous because they’re as responsible for Trump as anyone on the right, but I digress) and they want to neuter Democrats, liberals, progressives, moderates…anyone who doesn’t line up squarely behind what they think Ronald Reagan stood for. But we have to fight back. For the good of our country. We have to be patriots. We have no other choice.

Eclectic Cyborg  Dec 10, 2016 • 1:22:06pm

I’m not left or right (more centrist really) but I am really anti Donald fucking Trump.

PhillyPretzel  Dec 10, 2016 • 1:24:00pm

re: #102 Eclectic Cyborg

Same here.

ObserverArt  Dec 10, 2016 • 1:26:46pm

re: #56 Amory Blaine

Anyone see DD around? Hope he’s OK.

Been wondering the same.

ObserverArt  Dec 10, 2016 • 1:29:59pm

re: #62 Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))

I think Glen is well down the road to obscurity and irrelevance.

But give him some due credit for being against Trump.

You can. I won’t.

Barefoot Grin  Dec 10, 2016 • 1:33:27pm

re: #54 Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))

They’re working the state and local angle through AFP, etc.

thecommodore  Dec 10, 2016 • 1:36:55pm

re: #62 Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))

But give him some due credit for being against Trump.

That is only a baby step in a miles long journey he must take.

ObserverArt  Dec 10, 2016 • 1:39:40pm

Damn…can’t get away from Trump. I have the Army- Navy sportsball game on and they just announced The President Elect Donald will be on at the beginning of the second half. I really don’t want to hear this…

But who knows, maybe the talking heads of a football game ask him about Russia!

Hey, they can’t be any worse than the regular TV “journalists” can they? /

ObserverArt  Dec 10, 2016 • 1:40:48pm

re: #81 Dr Lizardo

Someone caught the Istanbul explosion on video, from a distance.

Page gone.

Barefoot Grin  Dec 10, 2016 • 1:41:29pm

Patton Oswalt
3 hrs *
This fucking election. Fucking Trump.
These newest revelations, that Russia hacked the election. Piles of evidence, teetering up to the sky. That Russia ALSO hacked the RNC and are holding them over a barrel because of what they know. Which would be hilarious if it wasn’t so frightening.
And the boiling chaos that’s resulting from it. I’ve got conservative friends actually DEFENDING Russia on this. I’ve got progressive friends gloating that we’ve finally had done to us what we’ve done to other countries. That Hillary somehow deserves this. That WE somehow deserve this. That infuriating cliche about, “It’s actually GOOD ifTrump destroys everything it’ll start a revolution BLAH BLAH BLAH FUCKING BLAH…”
And in the middle of it all is Trump — bloated, grinning, oblivious, wearing his cheap baseball cap and ruining people’s lives with his Twitter. While all around him — smarter, better, exhausted people scramble around, trying to sweep up a china shop he keeps stumbling through, laughing the whole time at these stupid nerds picking up the broken pieces on the ground. Losers. Weak.
Trump doesn’t spread evil. He doesn’t even spread chaos. Evil and chaos are beyond his abilities.
He spreads MEDIOCRITY. And anyone who gets near him gets dragged into the same sloppy, tossed-off, first-draft shitscape he lives in.
Except this time, it’s the entire country who got too close to him. We’re about to become, as a nation, as garish and pathetic as one of his hotel suites. Balsa wood under gold spray paint. A chandelier over a toilet. Knock-off Haviland and Parlon china on which to serve a Big Mac. And the people MAKING the Big Macs getting screwed, stripped and exploited while the predators high-five on their private jets.
In nine days the electors make their choice. Let’s hope they choose to save us from our grope-y, racist uncle who just won $50,000 playing scratch-offs.

ObserverArt  Dec 10, 2016 • 1:42:16pm

re: #87 Eclectic Cyborg

The fucking Titanic still sank.

And who were the majority of survivors? That’s right: rich white folks.

Hmmm…maybe I was closer than I thought…

ObserverArt  Dec 10, 2016 • 1:47:06pm

re: #90 William Lewis

I was going to say 20 gauge is best and the lighter and small the gun the better. I do not like guns…but I am having to think differently. And birdshot gives you a bigger spread which helps if you can’t get it aimed and you need to stop.

thecommodore  Dec 10, 2016 • 1:49:22pm

I just turned on the Army-Navy game, and the first thing I see?

Trump.

ObserverArt  Dec 10, 2016 • 1:49:51pm

Thanks. Damn.

Belafon  Dec 10, 2016 • 1:50:00pm

re: #101 thecommodore

Agreed. And we all need to stand together. If we don’t all do it, it’ll be much harder.

thecommodore  Dec 10, 2016 • 1:50:15pm

re: #113 thecommodore

I just turned on the Army-Navy game, and the first thing I see?

Trump.

And he’s actually talking about his involvement with the USFL…which he almost singlehandedly destroyed.

The ESPN 30 for 30 film about this is a must see.

electrotek  Dec 10, 2016 • 1:54:23pm
ObserverArt  Dec 10, 2016 • 1:56:18pm

re: #116 thecommodore

The ESPN 30 for 30 film about this is a must see.

Hmmm. Never saw that one. Those are available online at ESPN are they not? Or, YouTubes maybe?

Smith25's Liberal Thighs  Dec 10, 2016 • 2:00:14pm

re: #118 ObserverArt

Some are on Netflix. Small Potatoes: Who Killed the USFL is one of the better ones.

Backwoods_Sleuth  Dec 10, 2016 • 2:00:28pm

re: #109 ObserverArt

Page gone.

I grabbed the video

ObserverArt  Dec 10, 2016 • 2:02:20pm

I grabbed the video

I got a chance to see it doing what Charles said…clicking on the video button on the original tweet in the post in #81.

Odie Hugh Manatee  Dec 10, 2016 • 2:04:30pm

re: #4 Unshaken Defiance

Ugh that photo! Makes me want to print it and start a dart club.

Urinal target works too…

electrotek  Dec 10, 2016 • 2:05:50pm

Ended up uploading it on my FB:

Facebook Post

Backwoods_Sleuth  Dec 10, 2016 • 2:09:07pm

re: #121 ObserverArt

me, too, and I figured, why not just grab it while I still could.

thecommodore  Dec 10, 2016 • 2:12:22pm

re: #119 Smith25’s Liberal Thighs

Trump did not respond well to the film.

deadspin.com

For the film, Trump gave Tollin an uncomfortable half-hour, then abruptly walked out. (In the interview, Trump characterized his experience with the USFL thusly: “It was a nice experience. It was fun. We had a great lawsuit.”) Since then, he’s taken every opportunity to slag Tollin, who produced the much-criticized Bonds on Bonds. Trump told Page Six:

The documentary is third-rate, as was spring football. Football was meant to be played in the fall and I realized that early on. Tollin is a sad guy who is living in the past. He ought to get on with his life.

Tollin replied:

The camera doesn’t lie. It shows Trump to be rude, impatient, repetitive and boorish. I can’t imagine he had the attention span to even watch the whole thing

And so Trump responded with the note you see below, which was scrawled petulantly on top of a letter Tollin had written him:

Mike
A third rate documentary — and extremely dishonest (as you know) —
Best wishes
Donald Trump

P.S. You are a loser

Tollin has the thing on his desk. It’s a keepsake now. Note, he says, how the postscript runs parallel to “the rest of the tirade.” Tollin laughs. “It kinda looks like he’s done this before.”

Shiplord Kirel  Dec 10, 2016 • 2:13:32pm

It’s a bad one:
Istanbul Besiktas: Stadium blasts kill at least 13 people - reports

Two explosions near a football stadium in Istanbul, Turkey, have killed at least 13 people and injured others, reports say.
Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu said it was thought a car bomb had specifically targeted riot police.
Witnesses heard gunfire after the attack, and ambulances and police vehicles rushed to the scene.
Turkey has seen a recent spate of militant attacks in major cities that have left dozens of people dead.
No group has said it was behind the attack but a wave of bombings in Turkey this year has been carried out by Kurdish militants and so-called Islamic State (IS), the BBC’s Turkey correspondent, Mark Lowen, reports.

Dr Lizardo  Dec 10, 2016 • 2:19:44pm

re: #126 Shiplord Kirel

It’s a bad one:
Istanbul Besiktas: Stadium blasts kill at least 13 people - reports

Yeesh; a car bomb is usually (but not always) the handiwork of the PKK: ISIS prefers to use suicide bombers. Hearing through the grapevine that this attack targeted police at a football stadium who were there for crowd control - an attack against the police seems to me like a PKK operation.

Of course, 24-hour rule applies.

Stanley Sea  Dec 10, 2016 • 2:21:14pm
electrotek  Dec 10, 2016 • 2:22:00pm

re: #127 Dr Lizardo

Da’esh have actually been looking to use car bombs as a change in tactics, so I wouldn’t discount their involvement just yet.

electrotek  Dec 10, 2016 • 2:22:56pm
Dr Lizardo  Dec 10, 2016 • 2:23:26pm

re: #129 electrotek

That’s true and I certainly wouldn’t discount the possibility of Da’esh perpetrating an atrocity like this.

electrotek  Dec 10, 2016 • 2:24:28pm
electrotek  Dec 10, 2016 • 2:25:07pm

re: #131 Dr Lizardo

Especially when it involves a stadium. If it were Kurdish separatists their targets would involve the symbols of the state, such as a police station.

Dr Lizardo  Dec 10, 2016 • 2:27:06pm

re: #133 electrotek

True.

Well, good night Lizards.

goddamnedfrank  Dec 10, 2016 • 2:28:28pm

re: #90 William Lewis

I firmly believe that the Benelli M2 Field model in 21 inch I bought recently is the best option available right now. It’s not exactly cheap but compared to almost any double barreled gun it’s an absolute steal. Just a bit longer than the minimum length 18.5 inch barrel that comes with the tactical version but you get to ditch the bullshit ghost ring sights and pistol grip that in reality make a shotgun slower to use. If you ever really have to fire it you’re just going to point and shoot and the field hunting rig is set up specifically to do that. It also comes in a left handed model and includes multiple shims so you can adjust your drop & cast. The +5 mag extension from Nordic brings the capacity to 8+1 standard shotshells. It will also shoot 3 inch shells but since I can’t share those with my other shotguns I’m not buying any.

You do have to practice with it though, the M2 can come out of battery if bumped just right, so you’ve got to pay attention to that. On the plus side it’s fast, simple to take down, stays much cleaner than gas operated models, swings very well and absolutely dominates in close quarters. There’s a reason it’s hands down the most popular model in 3-Gun competition.

Blind Frog Belly White  Dec 10, 2016 • 2:32:54pm

Josh’s point here on Zero Sum also explains why the Tea Party Right and the WWC liked him. They also believe in Zero Sum. If their job disappears, someone else somewhere else must have taken it. If that Union guy down the street gets more money than they do, it must reduce their own income. If the server at McDonalds gets paid more, it will cost them more to live.

Oddly enough, though, they don’t see income inequality that way. The idea that corporate profits, and therefore incomes of the wealthy, are high BECAUSE their pay isn’t rising seems beyond their grasp. It seems like it all plays out at their level.

Backwoods_Sleuth  Dec 10, 2016 • 2:34:59pm

re: #132 electrotek

What other kind of nonsense arguments can you expect from a Pepe?

Blind Frog Belly White  Dec 10, 2016 • 2:35:38pm

re: #90 William Lewis

Mmmmmmmm…. Pistol whip…….

GlutenFreeJesus  Dec 10, 2016 • 2:35:40pm

re: #127 Dr Lizardo

Of course, 24-hour rule applies.

No matter who it is, Erdogan will blame the Kurds.

Blind Frog Belly White  Dec 10, 2016 • 2:38:01pm

That, and rich people aren’t rich enough.

JasonA  Dec 10, 2016 • 2:39:40pm

re: #139 GlutenFreeJesus

No matter who it is, Erdogan will blame the Kurds.

Coming soon, to a country near you…

Targetpractice  Dec 10, 2016 • 2:40:08pm

re: #136 Blind Frog Belly White

Oh sure, they see executive income and corporate profits as a zero-sum, because they’ve spent years being convinced that you only make obscene amounts of money if your work is worth it. Sure their boss makes way more than they ever will, but they tell themselves that one day they might be the boss. Or their kid might graduate college and take the boss’ job. In the mean time, they’ve got a job, they’ve got a paycheck, their worldview tells them that that’s the ideal set of circumstances. So what if their paycheck is shitty and their benefits are little more than stickers on said check? They just need to put in a few extra hours each day or take on some extra work for their buddy to cover that. Why, their daddy worked his ass off to keep them fed, that’s just the way the world works.

William Lewis  Dec 10, 2016 • 2:40:20pm

re: #138 Blind Frog Belly White

Mmmmmmmm…. Pistol whip…….

Not pleasant, no. But better that than killing someone unnecessarily.

Blind Frog Belly White  Dec 10, 2016 • 2:42:46pm

re: #143 William Lewis

Not pleasant, no. But better that than killing someone unnecessarily.

Clonked on the head beats high velocity lead poisoning nearly all the time.

Blind Frog Belly White  Dec 10, 2016 • 2:44:40pm

re: #142 Targetpractice

I sometimes think this overstates their belief that they can succeed, in terms of becoming the boss, and understates their both their servile worship of the rich, and their resentment of those who are doing a LITTLE better.

JasonA  Dec 10, 2016 • 2:46:06pm

Every time I feel like I have an answer to “how fucked are we” I feel like I’m lowballing it.

HappyWarrior  Dec 10, 2016 • 2:46:22pm

re: #145 Blind Frog Belly White

Hence why the Union teacher is a greedy taker but whereas the CEO who gives himself a bonus ten or even hundred times the median income is an innovator who should be rewarded.

Backwoods_Sleuth  Dec 10, 2016 • 2:47:10pm

re: #142 Targetpractice

They are all Babbitts (another book that people should be reading now alongside “It Can’t Happen Here”).

In some really twisted way, Trump himself is a Babbit in that, no matter how hard he tries and no matter what he does “to impress”, he will never be accepted into the elite society that he craves membership and has spurned his obvious attempts every moment of his life.

Romantic Heretic  Dec 10, 2016 • 2:47:42pm

re: #147 HappyWarrior

You should see their heads explode when I tell them that corporate executives are employees and not capitalists at all.

HappyWarrior  Dec 10, 2016 • 2:49:01pm

re: #149 Romantic Heretic

Yeah, I think they don’t know that a lot of CEOs aren’t often the founder of the product/service they provide. They’re someone hired by a board.

Blind Frog Belly White  Dec 10, 2016 • 2:49:24pm

re: #145 Blind Frog Belly White

To expand, they REALLY DO think that rich people are better people than they are. Better, smarter, more deserving. Maybe they fantasize about being rich, which would explain why the gaudiness of Trump is not off-putting for them - they figure if you’ve got it, flaunt it.

Strangely, it seems to really bother a lot of them that sports figures, especially black ones, earn huge amounts of money doing something they’ll pay money to watch. But it doesn’t seem to bother them that owners make huge amounts, just for owning the club.

HappyWarrior  Dec 10, 2016 • 2:54:42pm

re: #151 Blind Frog Belly White

They don’t think you should be able to be wealthy and use your position to address inequalities. I’m not a huge Russell Brand fan but he had one observation that I thought was dead on- When you’re poor and talk about inequality, they tell you to shut up and pull yourself up by the bootstraps but if you’re wealthy and make it and talk about those same problems, you’re accused of being a champagne socialist (Brit slang for what conservatives here call limousine liberals.). They have an interesting psychology.

Blind Frog Belly White  Dec 10, 2016 • 2:56:29pm

re: #152 HappyWarrior

They don’t think you should be able to be wealthy and use your position to address inequalities. I’m not a huge Russell Brand fan but he had one observation that I thought was dead on- When you’re poor and talk about inequality, they tell you to shut up and pull yourself up by the bootstraps but if you’re wealthy and make it and talk about those same problems, you’re accused of being a champagne socialist (Brit slang for what conservatives here call limousine liberals.). They have an interesting psychology pathology.

FTFY

JasonA  Dec 10, 2016 • 2:58:10pm
Targetpractice  Dec 10, 2016 • 2:58:27pm

re: #145 Blind Frog Belly White

There is, of course, also the decades long campaign to pound the “prosperity gospel” into the heads of the working class, the idea that your worth and your prosperity (or lack thereof) are tied to your personal faith and not your actual work. The hilarity of course is that all these supposed men of God do not preach fealty to him, but instead to some Randian imitation of him that says one can only achieve wealth if they screw over someone else. And his son, Free Market Jesus, the fellow who preaches that you gotta buy your way into Heaven and poverty is a personal failing that is no doubt due to one’s sinful ways.

Blind Frog Belly White  Dec 10, 2016 • 3:01:01pm

re: #155 Targetpractice

Quite a turnaround from the old “Don’t worry if your life sucks. Your afterlife will be AWESOME in direct proportion to how much your life sucked” idea.

HappyWarrior  Dec 10, 2016 • 3:03:01pm

I think what a lot of those who decry the lost of the working class in the Dem coalition ignore is the working class of today has a different mindset than their antecedents. TP got at the rise of Prosperity Gospel crap that have been in the churches. That’s a great example. In the past, even a lot of the Evangelical churches that people attended weren’t talking heads for the gospel of laiseez-faire capitalism.

wrenchwench  Dec 10, 2016 • 3:03:38pm
Belafon  Dec 10, 2016 • 3:05:34pm

Just caught a news clip with Angus King talking about the Russian interference. I think it’s good if it stays in the news for a while.

wrenchwench  Dec 10, 2016 • 3:07:30pm

Have another one or two.

Belafon  Dec 10, 2016 • 3:08:16pm

Every time you see a tweet from a Republican, make sure to ask them if Putin told them to say it, and ask them what Russia has on them. Especially Trump.

Scottishdragon  Dec 10, 2016 • 3:09:30pm

It’s a coup. The FBI worked with the Trump camp (and the Russians) to throw the election.

Backwoods_Sleuth  Dec 10, 2016 • 3:09:58pm

What continues to make me smh is listening to these WWC apologists saying these CEOS and whatevers deserve all they have because “they work so hard” even though those rich folks don’t even actually work.
The yachts? The private jets? The vacations to exotic locations every other month? The fancy vehicles? They never have to worry if you need a freaking organ transplant to stay alive (squinting at you Dick Cheney)?
These are things you generally DO NOT RECEIVE if you actually work hard for a living.
These are things you generally DO NOT RECEIVE as a result of working hard and achieving the American DreamTM,
These are things you generally DO NOT RECEIVE unless you are willing to have no conscience and screw the people who are funding that lifestyle (aka, the apologists).

sorry (not sorry), these people hold up uber rich as deserving of things that they themselves will never have but voted for this orange parasite anyway because they want the same things for free (or for as little obvious real work).

HappyWarrior  Dec 10, 2016 • 3:10:10pm

re: #160 wrenchwench

Have another one or two.

They’re good takes. I happen to agree with them 100%.

ObserverArt  Dec 10, 2016 • 3:10:12pm

I’m calling them “comrades” for the fun of it.

Targetpractice  Dec 10, 2016 • 3:11:48pm

I strongly suspect that, within a year, the whole reality of Russian interference in the election will have taken the same place in our national political landscape as the Swiftboat Vets in 2004 or the whisper campaign started by Rove about McCain in 2000. It’ll be portrayed as the cry of “sore losers,” an excuse made for why the Republican candidate won massively (he didn’t), Republicans dominated the election (they didn’t), and the nation rejected “politics as usual” (both houses had 90%+ reelection rates). The media will spend a couple days on it, then drop it because they don’t want to admit they were willing dupes of a Russian psy-op, that they got snookered into helping elect the most unqualified man in the nation through the SVR playing on every single “doubt” they had about Hillary.

wrenchwench  Dec 10, 2016 • 3:14:38pm

re: #164 HappyWarrior

They’re good takes. I happen to agree with them 100%.

You sound like We Rate Tweets.

They’re good tweets, Bront. 12/10

HappyWarrior  Dec 10, 2016 • 3:17:27pm

re: #167 wrenchwench

You sound like We Rate Tweets.

Heh. Well, I think it’s a good point that a lot of white people don’t want to hear that we could be better. And I hate to say but even a lot of white progressives/liberals don’t like hearing that. They prefer hear talk about how we’ve forgotten the white working class and how we’re catering too much to so called identity politics I contend that so called identity politics was created by the right and what many of our beliefs are a response to that. I’m still reading the very excellent Warmth of Other Suns and I think so many whites could benefit from reading that book so they could see what their African-American friends and neighbor’s families went through in the South.

HappyWarrior  Dec 10, 2016 • 3:21:48pm

I still feel that one of the greatest things lacking in modern society is empathy. Strange for someone on the spectrum to say I guess but I really feel that’s what really allows the wingnut world to succeed. People need to think beyond themselves. I.E. I’m not an immigrant or I may not have a pre-existing condition or I may not be a woman, etc.

GlutenFreeJesus  Dec 10, 2016 • 3:23:44pm

re: #169 HappyWarrior

I got that from a childhood friend on my FB when BLM was new.

“You grew up in the north shore. Why do you care so much about them?”

Deleted them from my life.

HappyWarrior  Dec 10, 2016 • 3:28:13pm

re: #170 GlutenFreeJesus

I got that from a childhood friend on my FB when BLM was new.

“You grew up in the north shore. Why do you care so much about them?”

Deleted them from my life.

Yeah I don’t blame you at all.

HappyWarrior  Dec 10, 2016 • 3:31:36pm

So yeah when people crap on immigrants, damn right I take it personally. My sister in law’s entire family are immigrants. My boss who these past two months has been so much more than a boss but also a mentor in the legal field and professionally is one. I’m not black but I grew up with a lot of African-Americans and a lot of African-American state employees were part of the agency that has made employment finding less difficult for me. I’m not a woman but I’m the son of a woman who worked her ass off to get taken seriously in a male dominated world. If more people thought like that I guess, maybe we’d be better off.

Patricia Kayden  Dec 10, 2016 • 3:32:42pm

And he wants to switch to the other side because he knows that Trump is going to be a highly unpopular President. (Trump has the lowest favorability ratings for an incoming President according to Pew Polls). Trying to be slick to make $$$. After he claimed that President Obama hated White people, he was dead to me.

JasonA  Dec 10, 2016 • 3:33:04pm

Same here.

Stanley Sea  Dec 10, 2016 • 3:35:21pm

re: #167 wrenchwench

Every time I go to that page I laugh

wrenchwench  Dec 10, 2016 • 3:36:37pm

re: #175 Stanley Sea

Every time I go to that page I laugh

I have that on my clipboard. Thanks for beating me to it!

HappyWarrior  Dec 10, 2016 • 3:37:22pm

Social justice warrior? Damn right, but I prefer being called a warrior for humanity. The hungry, the sick, the repressed, and those who didn’t have the same opportunities I have had. I know damn well that my life would be a lot harder if I weren’t an upper class white male living in a prosperous area.

Patricia Kayden  Dec 10, 2016 • 3:37:33pm

re: #166 Targetpractice

“The media will spend a couple days on it, then drop it”

The same media which refused to ease up on the nonsense claims about Secretary Clinton’s email server “scandal” or the Benghazi “scandal” will drop it because that’s not how they roll when it comes to real Republican scandals.

Backwoods_Sleuth  Dec 10, 2016 • 3:38:43pm

re: #165 ObserverArt

I’m calling them “comrades” for the fun of it.

Товарищ

(tovarich or other variant spellings)

GlutenFreeJesus  Dec 10, 2016 • 3:41:43pm

Music OT:

Friend’s band just released their first full length album. Ambient spacey progressive rock. Been digging these guys for a long time.

/end shameless plug

lybria.bandcamp.com

GlutenFreeJesus  Dec 10, 2016 • 3:42:43pm

Shit. Just click your heels together and say “YES MEIN FUHRER!”

makeitstop  Dec 10, 2016 • 3:44:26pm

re: #173 Patricia Kayden

Yep. Looking to solidify his new market share.

Cynical as ever. And useless as ever, too.

stpaulbear  Dec 10, 2016 • 3:45:09pm

Can anyone recommend a good book to me about the depression and the new deal? One that doesn’t say the new deal was the worst thing ever?

GlutenFreeJesus  Dec 10, 2016 • 3:46:52pm
HappyWarrior  Dec 10, 2016 • 3:47:22pm

re: #183 stpaulbear

amazon.com

This looks like more of a biography but Perkins was a very important member of FDR’s Cabinet.

JasonA  Dec 10, 2016 • 3:49:28pm

re: #183 stpaulbear

Can anyone recommend a good book to me about the depression…

Jeez, at least wait until it starts.

HappyWarrior  Dec 10, 2016 • 3:50:30pm

Y’all are going to keep me sane the next four years and I hope I can do the same to you.

William Lewis  Dec 10, 2016 • 3:51:54pm

re: #183 stpaulbear

This is a good book on how the mess started and why the infatuation with the gold standard is idiocy of the first water.

The Lords of Finance - The Bankers that Broke the World.

smile.amazon.com

TedStriker  Dec 10, 2016 • 3:52:24pm

re: #173 Patricia Kayden

re: #182 makeitstop

Yep. Looking to solidify his new market share.

Cynical as ever. And useless as ever, too.

Glenn Beck doesn’t give a fuck about anything other than Glenn Beck.

This “mea culpa” is nothing more than him trying to get out in front of the goddamn trainwreck that will be the Trump administration (that he helped to bring about), an attempt to cash in as a newfound member of the “loyal opposition”. At his core, from his earliest days in radio, he’s always been nothing more than a shock jock who just happened to have gotten lucky in the AM talk radio lottery, so he’s doing whatever he can to save his own ass (and fortune).

Fuck Beck with a rusty chainsaw…this country doesn’t need his kind of “help”.

HappyWarrior  Dec 10, 2016 • 3:54:22pm

H.W. Brands writes book reviews for National Review but I found his FDR biography, Traitor To His Class very fair and informative. I know you’re looking for something more about the New Deal itself, SPB though. I’m making my New Year’s Resolution to read more. I want to learn more about some parts of history I don’t know too much about and read more great novels.

Backwoods_Sleuth  Dec 10, 2016 • 3:54:43pm

re: #187 HappyWarrior

We have to.
We are family.
Even the ones we really don’t like much…

HappyWarrior  Dec 10, 2016 • 3:55:55pm

We have to.
We are family.
Even the ones we really don’t like much…

Yeah you suck! // But yeah gotta stick together.

JasonA  Dec 10, 2016 • 3:56:38pm
Backwoods_Sleuth  Dec 10, 2016 • 3:57:08pm

re: #192 HappyWarrior

Yeah you suck! // But yeah gotta stick together.

well, it’s Saturday….

O_o

Backwoods_Sleuth  Dec 10, 2016 • 3:58:09pm

NAIROBI, Kenya (AP) — A Kenyan official says that over 30 people are feared dead after a trailer carrying chemical gas rammed into vehicle on major Kenyan road.

Mwachi Pius Mwachi, the deputy director and communications officer for the National Disaster Management Unit, said the tanker lost control early Sunday while going downhill on the road from Nairobi to Naivasha.

It rammed into a number of vehicle before exploding into flames. Mwachi said that more 11 vehicles have been burnt and scores were injured.

JasonA  Dec 10, 2016 • 3:58:15pm
Patricia Kayden  Dec 10, 2016 • 4:02:27pm

Good suggestion. So what changed between the 80s when Russia was the U.S.’s sworn enemy and now when Republicans are blatantly cozying up to Putin’s Russia? Saint Ronnie of Raygun wouldn’t be pleased with these new pro-Russia developments.

Romantic Heretic  Dec 10, 2016 • 4:58:27pm

re: #165 ObserverArt

Nothing makes then sputter like referring to them as “Tovarich.”

Rocky-in-Connecticut  Dec 10, 2016 • 5:32:49pm

Rest assured, we are in the middle of the 2nd American Civil War right now. My estimate is it officially started the minute Obama was elected in Nov of 2008 when Republicans publicly stated they wanted to do everything they could to make his presidency a failure,. This coincided with when the Federal Govenrment became de facto insolvent forcing Bush the Warmongering Moron to radical financial steps to bail the country out.

The war had been heating up for years, decades really. The Clinton Impeachment was a salvo fired over enemy lines, but not exactly the mutual hot war we have now.

The primary difference now from the first Civil War is that it is not being fought by army troops on front lines and forest skirmishes, but in using government office itself to shred apart government and tear the population of the country apart via outright repeated lies, fake news, assisted foreign intelligence operations, and home-based hate/envy.

I am becoming very concerned that this Civil War currently in process will fundamentally change the country to become less free, less democratic, more corporate controlled, and possibly even break it up into more autonomous regions of ideology. This will leave America far less effective on the world stage as a much weaker Federal Government cannot support the massive military or intelligence services we presently have. Each region will not want to maintain military assets and stations that they themselves cannot enjoy the direct economic benefits of.

thecommodore  Dec 10, 2016 • 7:17:51pm

re: #177 HappyWarrior

SJW!!1!1!1 SNOWFLAKE!!!1!1!!11!

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Dec 11, 2016 • 4:16:54am

re: #66 allegro

he will do that ‘til the day he dies. But I think his moment in the sun is fading.

STEALTHING: the Growing Movement of Men Who Secretly Remove Condoms During Sex Two years ago, a 19-year-old Florida teen posted a call for advice in the subreddit askgaybros. In the post, he said he met a guy on Grindr and went back to his place to hook up. When the guy ...
Birth Control Works
Trump-Free Sunday Mornings-Daily Beast We think it’s time to go on a more balanced Donald Diet—call it a Sabbath for sanity. And that’s why we’re going to embark on a new experiment: Trump-free Sunday mornings. Barring major breaking news, for a few hours ...
Unshaken Defiance
2 days ago
Video: John Muir - The Last Oasis John Muir - The Last Oasis is a short film directed by Michael Coleman a Martinez, California native inspired by the writings of naturalist, author and early advocate of wilderness preservation John Muir. Many of the locations featured in ...
teleskiguy
The Woman Who Saved Lower Manhattan From Becoming a Highway What makes a city? It's not the buildings (skyscrapers) or the streets (traffic), or the banks and government offices and shopping districts sandwiched between them. It's the people. This is obvious nearly to the point of tautology, yet in ...
Birth Control Works
Domestic Violence Shelters Make Plea for State Budget Resolution A group of domestic violence shelter representatives and other human services advocates gathered at Mutual Ground's headquarters in Aurora Wednesday morning to again make a plea for a resolution on the state's budget crisis and to call attention to ...
Birth Control Works
This Wasn’t the First Act of ‘River Piracy’ to Affect the Yukon’s Biggest Lake Image: Kluane11.jpg Author: Dermot Cole, Alaska Dispatch News Canadian geologist John Clague, whose research on Kluane Lake began in 1980, has long believed that the biggest river flowing into the largest lake in the Yukon Territory could be switched ...
Cheechako
BBC Radio 4 - Seriously… - Seriously… - 10 Women Who Changed Sci-Fi 10 Women Who Changed Sci-Fi As the Radio 4 documentary Herland examines how science fiction tackles ideas of gender in future worlds, we present a selection of great female authors who have radically altered the genre... Mary Shelley Credited ...
Birth Control Works
Housing Vouchers Would Change the Face of Poverty - Vice VICE: What should every renter understand about their rights?Matthew Desmond: Rights vary from city to city, so getting to know your rights is a matter of knowing where you live, as they can actually be very fair. For example, ...
Birth Control Works
Craig Finn - ‘Be Honest’ (Live at WFUV)wfuv.org • Follow @wfuv: ow.ly Craig Finn performs "Be Honest" live in Studio A. Recorded 2.21.17. Host: Eric HollandAudio: Jim O'HaraCameras: Sabrina Sitton, Michael Sperling, Kevin O'Malley & Alexandra ReillyEditor: Kevin O'Malley & Sarah Burns
Tarkloon
Marvel’s Cloak and Dagger - Official Trailer Get your first look at the upcoming Freeform TV series about the two young Marvel heroes, starring Olivia Holt as Dagger and Aubrey Joseph as Cloak. Watch more trailers here!youtube.com Check out the latest and greatest from IGN here!youtube.com ...
Tarkloon