Sunday Jam: Neil Finn Live Unplugged, “White Lies and Alibis”

You do what you can to survive
Music • Views: 36,565

YouTube

The version of this song on Dizzy Heights is really different; much more experimental with lots of studio production. I liked that version a lot when I heard it, but the solo acoustic performance in this video just blew me away. It’s a great song either way, but this intimate stripped-down approach really brings out the emotional impact.

Neil Finn performs White Lies and Alibis: live session

Subscribe to Guardian Music HERE: bit.ly

Former Crowded House frontman Neil Finn performs his song White Lies and Alibis, from his forthcoming album Dizzy Heights, live in the Guardian’s studio. The song explores themes of justice, hope and incarceration and was written after the New Zealand musician met Damien Echols, one of the West Memphis Three, Arkansas men wrongly convicted as child killers

Click here for full Guardian Music review:
theguardian.com

Charles Johnson  Dec 18, 2016 • 5:55:38pm
Backwoods_Sleuth  Dec 18, 2016 • 5:56:51pm
Myron Falwell (no relation)  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:02:31pm

Reposted from downstairs:

His name is Louis Marinelli.

more at:
ww2.kqed.org

And that’s causing the OTHER “CalExit” group to denounce him and them:

Excuse me a minute.
Scottishdragon  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:04:08pm

Look at the garland that keeps moving around the tree!

Backwoods_Sleuth  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:04:45pm

re: #4 Scottishdragon

Look at the garland that keeps moving around the tree!

it’s Christmas magic!

Thanos  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:08:26pm

Weren’t the Memphis three one of those Satanic Panic convictions?

Myron Falwell (no relation)  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:08:37pm

This makes aluminum trees far more attractive.

Blind Frog Belly White  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:12:22pm

re: #7 Myron Falwell (no relation)

This makes aluminum trees far more attractive.

That’s not a real tree.

Charles Johnson  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:12:39pm

re: #6 Thanos

Weren’t the Memphis three one of those Satanic Panic convictions?

en.wikipedia.org

Thanos  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:15:31pm

en.wikipedia.org

Yeah, I was just reading that, it’s an 18 year horror story of injustice.

Backwoods_Sleuth  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:15:33pm
Dave In Austin  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:16:36pm

re: #8 Blind Frog Belly White

That’s not a real tree.

And prolly staged….

Charles Johnson  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:17:04pm

Festive holiday ornament or VENOMOUS DEATH MESSENGER?

Backwoods_Sleuth  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:17:38pm

Festive holiday ornament or VENOMOUS DEATH MESSENGER?

apparently in Australia, even Christmas can kill you…

thedopefishlives  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:18:26pm

apparently in Australia, even Christmas can kill you…

Quoth I to Mrs. Fish: “Reason #657 why I am never moving to Australia.”

thedopefishlives  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:18:55pm

apparently in Australia, even Christmas can kill you…

Libruls declared war on Christmas. In Australia, Christmas declared war right back.

Blind Frog Belly White  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:18:56pm

Festive holiday ornament or VENOMOUS DEATH MESSENGER?

That’s why you have to be able to turn your tree from Joyous Symbol to FLAMING DEATH TORCH! at a moment’s notice.

b.d.  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:19:18pm

re: #8 Blind Frog Belly White

That’s not a real tree.

But it’s the right height

Charles Johnson  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:19:45pm
Backwoods_Sleuth  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:21:30pm

I OPENED THE LINK!!!

And now I am dying laughing.

Backwoods_Sleuth  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:23:56pm
Myron Falwell (no relation)  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:24:47pm

I OPENED THE LINK!!!

And now I am dying laughing.

“The Reagan Years” 80s cover band LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Dave In Austin  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:26:41pm

Wall to wall DJ’s……..

Such a party. Will there be a Green Zone for some of the awesome D.C. Legal weed??

Myron Falwell (no relation)  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:27:09pm

Festive holiday ornament or VENOMOUS DEATH MESSENGER?

Or a message never to say “Merry Christmas” ever again.

jaunte  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:27:58pm

re: #22 Myron Falwell (no relation)

“The Reagan Years” 80s cover band LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

That’s a lot of territory.

Scottishdragon  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:28:11pm

I OPENED THE LINK!!!

And now I am dying laughing.

Oh. My. God.

A cover band called The Reagan Years.

A couple of DJs barely old enough to drink.

I can just see the ageing upper income white people pretending to be hip on the dance floor with Kellyanne Riefenstahl and MeinFuhrer Bannon…

meteor  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:29:07pm

OT: Zsa Zsa Gabor has died.

The Vicious Babushka  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:30:25pm

I OPENED THE LINK!!!

And now I am dying laughing.

Who are all these unknown A-Listers? Are they the stars of Rollywood (Russian Hollywood)

Myron Falwell (no relation)  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:31:09pm

That’s a lot of territory.

Throw in “Come on Eileen” and “I Ran (So Far Away)” and you’d have a bare-bones Jack FM playlist.

Joe Bacon  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:31:44pm

That’s a lot of territory.

How could they DARE fail to include this gem…

Moon Zappa Valley Girl

Scottishdragon  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:34:44pm

re: #29 Myron Falwell (no relation)

No Cyndi Lauper or Madonna? No Duran Duran?

Girls on Film!

ObserverArt  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:36:37pm

You damn libruls think you are so cool an’ funny. This entertainment line up just shows Trump is serious and more concerned about governing than any ol’ librul artists and bands at some dumb DC insider party. Laugh now, but get out of the way as Trump makes Amer’ca Great Ag’in. We don’t need you!!!

(someone somewhere will make a similar excuse)

Barefoot Grin  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:38:43pm

Oops. I just claimed in a FB argument that RT released docs before wikileaks showing Russian manipulation. But I could only find dubious websites making the claim. Why did I think this? Was there other good evidence?

b.d.  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:40:33pm

I OPENED THE LINK!!!

And now I am dying laughing.

I’m trying to figure out if Yakov Smirnoff would be blacklisted from the inauguration party or headlining it?

Joe Bacon  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:40:34pm

re: #32 ObserverArt

(someone somewhere will make a similar excuse)

That ranks right up there with the time James Watt fired The Beach Boys from the DC 4th of July concert and replaced them with Wayne Newton and The Army Blues Band!

Myron Falwell (no relation)  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:40:39pm

Geez, two years ago they tried to discipline Phil Robertson for homophobic comments, and now they come up with a show that makes that clan look like the Waltons.

I’m so old, I remember when A&E actually ran arts and entertainment programming.

thedopefishlives  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:40:44pm

Forecast here is calling for an extremely white Christmas. While such things are always subject to change a week out, they’re calling for 8-12” of wet snow on the fishbowl.

Myron Falwell (no relation)  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:46:27pm

re: #32 ObserverArt

(someone somewhere will make a similar excuse)

Heh, this would be my response.

buhbye

Skip Intro  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:50:36pm

This whole thing sounds like a Sirius/XM channel lineup. Surprisingly it’s not being held at Trump’s hotel.

The Vicious Babushka  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:52:44pm

re: #34 b.d.

In Soviet Russia, inauguration entertains YOU!

The Vicious Babushka  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:53:27pm
SteveMcG RN  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:55:13pm

re: #41 The Vicious Babushka

Now THIS is clever. IF the Electoral College doesn’t elect Trump, the Russians will call it a coup.

Charles Johnson  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:55:23pm
Myron Falwell (no relation)  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:56:18pm

re: #31 Scottishdragon

No Cyndee Lauper or Madonna? No Duran Duran?

Girls on Film!

Scott Walker referenced Timbuk3’s hit “The Future’s So Bright” in a recent speech, utterly oblivious to the songs apocalyptic tone.

IOW, a perfect song request for “The Reagan Boys.”

retired cynic  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:56:20pm

re: #42 SteveMcG RN

If we’re being accused of it, why not give them something to complain about for realz?

Backwoods_Sleuth  Dec 18, 2016 • 6:57:44pm
Myron Falwell (no relation)  Dec 18, 2016 • 7:01:34pm

re: #42 SteveMcG RN

Would the Russians declare victory over the United States once the Electoral College votes for him? It’s not like we would have any recourse…

(I won’t hold my breath over the vote…)

Anymouse  Dec 18, 2016 • 7:03:32pm

We’re stopped for the night in Moab, Utah after going to Arches National Park.

Got my hands on a camera, so you get pictures.

Balancing Rock

My wife can’t walk up the trail so this is as close as we got to Delicate Arch… .

Delicate Arch
Panorama POint
Windows Formation
retired cynic  Dec 18, 2016 • 7:04:01pm

re: #47 Myron Falwell (no relation)

I’d be happy if they called for a new election, with 1-2 months lead time.

Charles Johnson  Dec 18, 2016 • 7:04:02pm
Pawn of the Oppressor  Dec 18, 2016 • 7:05:24pm

I’m messaging with my housemate right now, who just saw it with her boyfriend and then went back to his home and watched Episode 4. She is telling me right this minute that they are both fighting the urge to go back to the theater and see it again. They will probably go with his two college-aged daughters too.

I saw it late Thursday night in IMAX with my new lady friend and we have plans to see it again too. That’s four people generating eight tickets, and possibly two more besides, with literally everybody else we know on this whole island itching to go see it too. Probably more than once.

Only malodorous, hateful twats boycott Star Wars over politics. And believe it or not, those assholes are actually outnumbered by people with hearts and a sense of fun…

Anymouse  Dec 18, 2016 • 7:07:19pm

Another photo, but my wife is in it so it goes behind privacy tags.

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

Joe Bacon  Dec 18, 2016 • 7:07:30pm

I OPENED THE LINK!!!

And now I am dying laughing.

Wow, these Reagan Year Band folks wouldn’t even qualify for The Gong Show!

The Reagan Years LIVE Teaser Video - 2014

Pawn of the Oppressor  Dec 18, 2016 • 7:08:47pm

re: #48 Anymouse

I HAS A JELUS

I’ve wanted to go there for years! I kept trying to add a hypothetical Moab excursion to a hypothetical Colorado motorcycling trip but could never quite string it together before I moved east.

Are you going to Canyonlands too? It’s on my so-called “bucket list” to see Mesa Arch (most recently seen in Windows desktop backgrounds).

Myron Falwell (no relation)  Dec 18, 2016 • 7:10:33pm

re: #49 retired cynic

I’d be happy if they called for a new election, with 1-2 months lead time.

That’s what probably should be done, but with whom as candidates?

The Vicious Babushka  Dec 18, 2016 • 7:11:12pm
retired cynic  Dec 18, 2016 • 7:11:39pm

re: #55 Myron Falwell (no relation)

That’s what probably should be done, but with whom as candidates?

Between Hillary and DT.

Anymouse  Dec 18, 2016 • 7:14:16pm

re: #54 Pawn of the Oppressor

I HAS A JELUS

I don’t think we’re going to Canyonlands. From here we’re headed to Denver to get our car serviced, then home to unload the luggage, then to go get the cat from the vet.

jaunte  Dec 18, 2016 • 7:14:54pm

re: #26 Scottishdragon

Oh. My. God.

A cover band called The Reagan Years.

A couple of DJs barely old enough to drink.

“Nothing in Austria has changed. Singing and music will show this to the world.”

Joe Bacon  Dec 18, 2016 • 7:15:48pm

re: #48 Anymouse

We’re stopped for the night in Moab, Utah after going to Arches National Park.

Got my hands on a camera, so you get pictures.

BEAUTIFUL!

Thank you for sharing!

retired cynic  Dec 18, 2016 • 7:16:00pm

re: #57 retired cynic

Between Hillary and DT.

Redo it, with everyone knowing that the Russians had their thumb on the scales and that Comey’s big whoop-di-do was a nothing burger, which people found out after they had already voted.

Skip Intro  Dec 18, 2016 • 7:17:33pm

re: #56 The Vicious Babushka

I wonder what position in the Trump administration the guy with the crazy eyes is getting?

TedStriker  Dec 18, 2016 • 7:18:58pm

re: #56 The Vicious Babushka

It’s a lot funnier (and a lot less depressing) to think of The Donald as R.J. Fletcher from UHF:

The R J Fletcher School of Diplomacy

Backwoods_Sleuth  Dec 18, 2016 • 7:19:33pm
The Vicious Babushka  Dec 18, 2016 • 7:19:41pm

re: #62 Skip Intro

That’s flash eyes.

Charles Johnson  Dec 18, 2016 • 7:20:42pm
Skip Intro  Dec 18, 2016 • 7:20:59pm

re: #65 The Vicious Babushka

That’s flash eyes.

It really brings out their inner daemon.

Myron Falwell (no relation)  Dec 18, 2016 • 7:22:11pm

Don’t get me wrong. I like 80’s music, moreso extended cuts or remixes or alternate versions.

These people are so hopelessly lost in that past that it ceases being funny. Just like the vast majority of conservatalkers that play a shallow library of 80’s songs as bumper music (e.g., Rush)… that’s their line of reference, and nothing else matters.

“The Ray-Gun Boys” is symptomatic of that tunnel vision.

Anymouse  Dec 18, 2016 • 7:23:27pm

re: #60 Joe Bacon

BEAUTIFUL!

Thank you for sharing!

You’re welcome. Someone had to do it. /s

Charles Johnson  Dec 18, 2016 • 7:23:47pm
Joe Bacon  Dec 18, 2016 • 7:26:57pm

I guess that’s what happened to them after they all kissed Trump’s ass…

Anymouse  Dec 18, 2016 • 7:26:57pm
prairiefire  Dec 18, 2016 • 7:26:59pm

re: #65 The Vicious Babushka

Hey, I have a question I think you could help me with, I hope. My mom’s ancestry DNA results cam back and noted was a 1 to 3 % Eurpean Jew. Is that too low a percentage, or to far removed an ancestor to say one is Jewish?

Anymouse  Dec 18, 2016 • 7:28:03pm

re: #73 prairiefire

You could ask some of Donald Trump’s advisers, such as Richard Spencer or Steve Bannon and see what they think. /s

Myron Falwell (no relation)  Dec 18, 2016 • 7:29:41pm

re: #63 TedStriker

Sometimes, whenever faced with R.J. Fletchers, we need to channel our own John Rambo.

Weird Al Yankovic-UHF Rampo

Anymouse  Dec 18, 2016 • 7:30:51pm
Anymouse  Dec 18, 2016 • 7:34:06pm
Myron Falwell (no relation)  Dec 18, 2016 • 7:35:29pm

re: #77 Anymouse

He’s a Republican, so that’s pretty much a résumé enhancement.

Anymouse  Dec 18, 2016 • 7:37:11pm

About those coal jobs, Mr. Trump.

Joe Bacon  Dec 18, 2016 • 7:37:27pm

Wow! Look who else is having a Trump Party! I’m sure Milo and his pals will be here!

gaysfortrump.org

Anymouse  Dec 18, 2016 • 7:38:34pm
retired cynic  Dec 18, 2016 • 7:40:07pm

re: #81 Anymouse

Gee, wonder what happened then??? /

Joe Bacon  Dec 18, 2016 • 7:40:46pm

re: #81 Anymouse

Comey and his pals in the corrupted New York FBI office should be so proud of themselves. And as for Giuliani, may he roast in hell for all eternity!

Anymouse  Dec 18, 2016 • 7:41:33pm

If you’re on Twitter, you might want to consider blocking (or trolling) this character:

jaunte  Dec 18, 2016 • 7:42:42pm
Kaessa  Dec 18, 2016 • 7:44:26pm

re: #48 Anymouse

We’re stopped for the night in Moab, Utah after going to Arches National Park.

Got my hands on a camera, so you get pictures.

Wave when you drive by the Colorado National Monument. I’m just right on the other side of the interstate from there.

Myron Falwell (no relation)  Dec 18, 2016 • 7:49:17pm

re: #79 Anymouse

About those coal jobs, Mr. Trump.

China is best served getting entirely on this. They can ultimately cripple both Trump and Russia.

Resistance Is Not Futile  Dec 18, 2016 • 7:57:47pm

re: #73 prairiefire

It’s not percentage. You’re a Jew if an ancestor in the direct female line is Jewish (religious law). The Nazis said you were “Jewish” if you had one Jewish grandparent
(if I remember correctly).

prairiefire  Dec 18, 2016 • 8:07:03pm

re: #88 Resistance Is Not Futile

We had always heard that there were Jewish relatives in one of our family lines that came from Germany, but never knew any names, stories or facts. It was noted in my mom’s Anvestry DNA breakdown by that percentage, but not in mine. We find it very interesting and cool. Maybe one day in our research we will find the ancestors.

Resistance Is Not Futile  Dec 18, 2016 • 8:10:21pm

re: #89 prairiefire

We had always heard that there were Jewish relatives in one of our family lines that came from Germany, but never knew any names, stories or facts. It was noted in my mom’s Anvestry DNA breakdown by that percentage, but not in mine. We find it very interesting and fool. Maybe one day in out research we will find the ancestors.

Mitochondrial DNA might help.

South Bay Locals Named as Part of White Supremacy Group An in-depth report by ProPublica.org into the activity of a Southern California-based white supremacy group has named at least four South Bay residents including one each from Hermosa Beach and Redondo Beach. The report details how the group, called ...
New Details Emerge About Attack That Killed US Soldiers in Niger The soldiers questioned the villagers, who dragged on the discussions longer than anticipated. “It turns out that this village was a little contaminated by hostile forces,” said Aksar. “The unit stayed a little longer than expected because apparently people ...
Hyperloop in Missouri: Company Says KC-STL Route Top Contender An official with Hyperloop One, which proposes building ultra-fast tubular transportation around the world, said that a Missouri route is a top contender for development. Dan Katz, the head of policy for the company, told The Associated Press that ...
Sheriff Finds ‘Troubling’ Explosives, Guns, Maps and Note in Florida Home Photographs of schools, three bomb devices, guns and books on how to make explosives were found in a Dunedin man’s home Wednesday, officials report. Deputies with the Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office were executing a search warrant at 1234 Royal ...
Editorial: Kobach Is Desperate for Trump’s Approval Kris Kobach has been running a Trump-style gubernatorial campaign since the day he announced. From his empty insistence that there’s a “culture of corruption” in Topeka to his argument that the Legislature’s decision to repeal Gov. Sam Brownback’s tax ...
First Aid Kit - It’s a Shame"It's a Shame" by First Aid Kit is available now: smarturl.it Production Company: Slutet är Nära / slutetarnara.se Director: Mats UddProducer: Petra KrigströmExecutive Producer: Alexandros Bakos Lyrics: genius.com Follow First Aid Kit: firstaidkitband.com facebook.com @firstaidkitband instagram.com
Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit - American Girl10/13/2017 Encore on night 4 of Ryman residency
WALK the MOON - Headphones Get WALK THE MOON's “One Foot” and "Headphones" Instantly When You Pre-Order The New Album 'What If Nothing':iTunes - wtmband.comAmazon - wtmband.comSpotify Pre-Save - wtmband.comGoogle Play - wtmband.comMerch Store - wtmband.com Stream "Headphones" Now:Apple Music - wtmband.comSpotify - wtmband.com ...
Nightmare at PDX In all, Cristina was held for 48 hours with the jail population, though she had committed no crime. She was treated poorly, and denied medical treatment when she requested it. She had no money in her jail phone account ...
1 week ago
Meet Rhiannon Giddens, Newly Minted MacArthur ‘Genius’ As a solo artist — and, before that, as a member of the Carolina Chocolate Drops — singer-songwriter Rhiannon Giddens has made a career out of revitalizing and invigorating decades' worth of music reflecting the African-American experience. That's meant ...
Views: 1,358 • Comments: 0 • Rating: 2