The Latest Episode of the Tallest Man on Earth’s Amazing Video Series: “Fly in Numbers” | Ep. 8 of the Light in Demos

Music • Views: 28,807

YouTube

“Fly in Numbers” is the eighth episode of The Light in Demos, a video project produced, written, directed, recorded, shot and edited by The Tallest Man on Earth.

Trumpets and French Horns arranged, performed and recorded by CJ Carmieri.

instagram.com
facebook.com
twitter.com
thetallestmanonearth.com

Lyrics:

the captain’s eyes
they seem to say
go drive forever
in the darkest rain

but beauty hums
a broken tune
I hear you sing it
and I fall into

that summer nights are long
I need this memory to be moving on
we’re little broken ones
but fly in numbers out of darkness
so you are not alone

the country bird
where kingdom rise
there’s no horizon
I’ve been all around

here, people drive
I’m people too
here, I don’t really know
what birds should do

but summer nights are long
some northern memories I’m leaning on
we’re little broken ones
but fly in numbers out of darkness
so you are not alone

a fever yells, it calls for me
in every mirror every time *(I didn’t mean to sing ‘all the’ here)
is that the captain that I hear
or every wind and wave around

I’m in your hands, and you’re in mine
some hope has gathered in the little lines
around your eyes from days of storm
rickety airplanes but the only way is right into

and summer nights are long
some northern memories I’m leaning on
we’re little broken ones
but fly in numbers out of darkness
so you are not alone

jaunte  Nov 9, 2017 • 9:28:40pm
HappyWarrior  Nov 9, 2017 • 9:30:01pm

Really hoping to see him go down in flames.

jaunte  Nov 9, 2017 • 9:31:42pm
meteor  Nov 9, 2017 • 9:31:48pm

re: #2 HappyWarrior

Oh yes.

HappyWarrior  Nov 9, 2017 • 9:34:32pm

re: #4 meteor

Oh yes.

Bannon can join him too. That pig is blaming the media.

Anymouse 🌹  Nov 9, 2017 • 9:38:10pm
MsJ  Nov 9, 2017 • 9:41:24pm
jaunte  Nov 9, 2017 • 9:43:33pm

Hodgman thread:

HappyWarrior  Nov 9, 2017 • 9:47:21pm

Hodgman thread:

Yeah there was a quote that a seventeen year old girl wove lucky to have a 32 year old Moore after her. It just creeps me out so much because I’m close to Moore’s age when this happened and my brother’s girl friends are around the same age as the victims. Just skeezy as hell. We’ve known Moore is a jerk but he’s a big creeper too.

HappyWarrior  Nov 9, 2017 • 9:49:47pm

I didn’t see any prominent liberals or tbh any st all defend Weiner. Everyone was rightfully disgusted by it.

Barefoot Grin  Nov 9, 2017 • 9:53:12pm

Trump: “I could shoot someone on 5th Ave and my base would still support me.”

Moore: “I could seduce a 14yo girl outside a courthouse while her mama and pa went a-settling her custody, then meet her repeatedly and touch and kiss and ask her to touch my genitals, and my base would still support me.”

Both true.

jaunte  Nov 9, 2017 • 9:54:29pm
HappyWarrior  Nov 9, 2017 • 9:54:46pm

re: #11 Barefoot Grin

Trump: “I could shoot someone on 5th Ave and my base would still support me.”

Both true.

You know win or lose, he’s going to be at the Value Voters Summit.

Kragar  Nov 9, 2017 • 9:56:23pm
Joe Bacon 🌹  Nov 9, 2017 • 9:56:39pm

re: #11 Barefoot Grin

Trump: “I could shoot someone on 5th Ave and my base would still support me.”

Both true.

And it’s only a matter of time before ol Roy climbs into the pulpit and does The Jimmy Swaggart Thang(r)

Jimmy Swaggart I have sinned

Joe Bacon 🌹  Nov 9, 2017 • 9:57:50pm
Barefoot Grin  Nov 9, 2017 • 9:57:56pm
Anymouse 🌹  Nov 9, 2017 • 9:58:09pm

re: #13 HappyWarrior

You know win or lose, he’s going to be at the Value Voters Summit.

He spoke at the last one, so why not? They don’t care about the crime, only the repentance. Public repentance makes for good entertainment.

jaunte  Nov 9, 2017 • 9:58:38pm

re: #14 Kragar

“The Foundation for Moral Law.”

Belafon  Nov 9, 2017 • 10:00:17pm

“The Foundation for Moral Law.”

“Starts with 14 year olds.”

Joe Bacon 🌹  Nov 9, 2017 • 10:01:16pm

“The Foundation for Moralon Law.”

MOORE appropriate!

Anymouse 🌹  Nov 9, 2017 • 10:01:39pm

More hot takes:

Joe Bacon 🌹  Nov 9, 2017 • 10:02:29pm

So when is Steven Spielberg going to produce the Roy Moore Story entitled…

Close Encounters In The Third Grade…

Barefoot Grin  Nov 9, 2017 • 10:03:07pm

re: #22 Anymouse 🌹

More hot takes:

There’s also age, inability to really compete long in 2008, etc. etc.

HappyWarrior  Nov 9, 2017 • 10:04:21pm

re: #18 Anymouse 🌹

They don’t even seem to care about repentance judging by some comments I’ve seen.

HappyWarrior  Nov 9, 2017 • 10:05:40pm

re: #24 Barefoot Grin

There’s also age, inability to really compete long in 2008, etc. etc.

I admire Biden but he shouldn’t run. Let some fresh faces run.

Joe Bacon 🌹  Nov 9, 2017 • 10:06:39pm

Roy would fit right in with his brothers and sisters in KKKrist at the Value Voters Summit Just like he did with his last appearance there!

Here’s Roy hanging out with the Boys In The Hood…
Anymouse 🌹  Nov 9, 2017 • 10:08:33pm
Barefoot Grin  Nov 9, 2017 • 10:09:11pm

re: #26 HappyWarrior

I admire Biden but he shouldn’t run. Let some fresh faces run.

Agree. Absolutely.

Barefoot Grin  Nov 9, 2017 • 10:11:56pm

re: #28 Anymouse 🌹

From some interviews I’ve been reading with diehard Moore supporters, they’ll find any justification or conspiracy theory to support him. Some need none at all: better him than a Democrat—or, “it wasn’t that big of a deal.”

Anymouse 🌹  Nov 9, 2017 • 10:11:57pm

Rebecca Shoenkopf with an interesting observation, which I looked up and verified - the statute of limitations on child sexual assault in Alabama:

No statute of limitations: rape, violent sexual abuse, sexual abuse with the threat of violence, and any sexual abuse of a victim under the age of 16,

legalmatch.com

Shiplord Kirel, live from behind wingnut lines  Nov 9, 2017 • 10:13:09pm

(I had some doubts about posting this so soon after yet another mass shooting, but it occurred to me that there is no thing anymore as a time that is NOT soon after a mass shooting.)

Crazed NRA-hating libtard snowflake though I am, I have sprung for a new shootin’ iron:

Henry Big Boy Carbine, .357 Magnum.
This is very similar to a .22 Henry I already have and it uses the same ammo as my Taurus Tracker revolver. This choice of caliber was influenced by another Lizardoid gun owner, William Lewis.
This gun cost as much as some AR-15s, but even the most gun-averse observers can see some significant differences beyond the hand rubbed wood furniture. It holds 7 shots rather than 20 or 30 or a hundred. A proficient shooter can get them out fairly fast but after that a lengthy break is needed to reload since the magazine does not detach. Unlike the typical semi-auto, it is not sensitive about ammunition at all and can also use .38 spl handgun ammo. You can even use the little .38 shotshells or black powder rounds, though the manufacturer recommends single-loading the former.
I don’t really see this as home defense but it would serve for that purpose if the stuff somehow hits the fan for real. Stopping power is very good at short range but it is much less likely than an AR to penetrate the walls and kill my dogs, cats, burros or neighbors .
It seems a good choice for around the farm, and would be good in a real survival situation if such a thing happens.
HappyWarrior  Nov 9, 2017 • 10:14:18pm

Gianforte: I attacked a reporter

Moore: Hold my bourbon and let me hold your daughters!

Amory Blaine  Nov 9, 2017 • 10:15:02pm

Wisconsin Age of Consent Laws 2017

Wisconsin does not have a close-in-age exemption. Close in age exemptions, commonly known as “Romeo and Juliet laws”, are put in place to prevent the prosecution of individuals who engage in consensual sexual activity when both participants are significantly close in age to each other, and one or both partners are below the age of consent.
Because there is no such “Romeo and Juliet law” in Wisconsin, it is possible for two individuals both under the age of 18 who willingly engage in intercourse to both be prosecuted for statutory rape, although this is rare. Similarly, no protections are reserved for sexual relations in which one participant is a 17 year old and the second is a 18 or 19 year old.

Joe Bacon 🌹  Nov 9, 2017 • 10:15:06pm

re: #26 HappyWarrior

I admire Biden but he shouldn’t run. Let some fresh faces run.

There may be a couple wild cards in the 2020 Democratic race like Mayor De Blasio, Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf, Mc Auliffe, Chris Murphy, Amy Klobuchar even John Bel Edwards.

Barefoot Grin  Nov 9, 2017 • 10:16:34pm

re: #32 Shiplord Kirel, live from behind wingnut lines

Henry Big Boy Carbine, .357 Magnum.

The Rifleman Intro

Looks like Conners had a bump stock.

HappyWarrior  Nov 9, 2017 • 10:18:56pm

re: #35 Joe Bacon 🌹

Yeah I am fine with all those running.

Anymouse 🌹  Nov 9, 2017 • 10:21:24pm

re: #37 HappyWarrior

Yeah I am fine with all those running.

An interesting outside choice might be Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper.

HappyWarrior  Nov 9, 2017 • 10:24:02pm

re: #38 Anymouse 🌹

An interesting outside choice might be Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper.

Yeah. It’s going to be interesting where they decide to hold the convention too.

Anymouse 🌹  Nov 9, 2017 • 10:28:23pm

re: #39 HappyWarrior

How about in a red state? I’ll offer up Nebraska.

(Since NE-2 went for President Obama in 2008 - then the Unicameral gerrymandered the district so that wouldn’t happen again - we are not entirely full of Republicans. I wonder if holding the Democratic convention in a red state would bring some attention to the Democratic platform in said states.)

Anymouse 🌹  Nov 9, 2017 • 10:30:27pm

On this day (well tomorrow for me but today in CST and EST) the US Marine Corps was established by the Continental Congress.

Happy birthday USMC, from this ol’ Navy guy.

Shiplord Kirel, live from behind wingnut lines  Nov 9, 2017 • 10:31:36pm

re: #36 Barefoot Grin

I won’t be trying that.
The Rifleman,
Opening Credits

The opening theme at the beginning of each episode depicted McCain walking down the street of a town while rapid-firing his Winchester 44-40 1892 model rifle that had been modified at the trigger and lever. The rifle’s modification allowed McCain to fire the rifle only by hand pumping the lever, which had a pin imbedded in it to trip the weapon’s trigger.

Additionally, the gun only fired 1/5 blanks, which held the recoil to nothing and Connors still had to practice extensively before shooting the opening scene.
In contrast, almost any doofus can fire a fully lethal AR-15 that fast on the first try, and re-load a whole magazine in the time Connors takes to slip in a single round.

Anymouse 🌹  Nov 9, 2017 • 10:37:26pm
You know, when a man has to wear Jesus on his forehead and remind everyone what a wonderful Christian he is, something is probably real wrong.

And I know it’s weird that a judge who was impeached twice for ignoring the law would turn out to be an awful person.

And I know that four women who don’t know one another would collude to make up fake news.

And I know a guy who would lie about stealing money from his own charity probably wouldn’t lie about anything else.

But remember when Republican were horrified, horrified I tell you, that over a consensual blow job between two adults. Whoa boy, they have changed since then.

Roy Moore is a slimy person. They should lock his wrinkled ole butt in a room with these four women for at least half an hour. Maybe they can help him find Jesus.

juanitajean.com

teleskiguy  Nov 9, 2017 • 10:38:24pm

Building a bridge.

This is the next town over from me to the west. This bridge replaces a 60-year-old bridge (which you can see being torn down at the beginning of the video) over Interstate 70, the Colorado River, and Union Pacific railroad. You’re looking at the road to Aspen in Glenwood Springs. Cool timelapse.

fern01  Nov 9, 2017 • 10:39:32pm

re: #26 HappyWarrior

I admire Biden but he shouldn’t run. Let some fresh faces run.

I don’t have an opinion on the man - he caused no disasters as VP - but what did he achieve? I have a memory of President Obama putting him in charge of the gun debate after the murders at Sandy Hook. That went nowhere.

teleskiguy  Nov 9, 2017 • 10:43:12pm

re: #45 fern01

Biden didn’t do this, but he’s responsible for one of the greatest streaks of Onion articles of all time.

Shiplord Kirel, live from behind wingnut lines  Nov 9, 2017 • 10:44:21pm

The Rifleman is one of my favorite old time TV westerns. Despite the shoot ‘em up opening and gun-oriented title, both standard for TV westerns in those days, it often featured non-violent solutions to various problems. It was actually unusual for the genre because there were episodes in which no shooting occurred. Connors’s character, Lucas McCain, still managed to dispatch about 120 villains during the show’s five year run though.
The on-screen chemistry between Connors and Johnny Crawford as his son Mark is quite remarkable. In many ways it was a much more authentic portrayal of parenting than was found in the supposed “family” series of the time. The two remained close friends for the rest of Connors’s life. Crawford, now in his 70s, is still with us.

SteveMcGriftFlynnComey... ...corruptemoligate RN  Nov 9, 2017 • 10:44:24pm

Fitting that the arrow is pointing to left field

Anymouse 🌹  Nov 9, 2017 • 10:44:58pm

LOL sung to Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody” …

Rock Opera vs. Trump - Queen Edition - “Alternative Rhapsody”

Anymouse 🌹  Nov 9, 2017 • 10:49:07pm

re: #45 fern01

Amongst other things, the Violence Against Women Act.

From 1973 to 2009, Biden served a distinguished Senate career. During his time in the Senate, Biden won respect as one of the body’s leading foreign policy experts, serving as chairman of the Committee on Foreign Relations for several years. His many foreign policy positions included advocating for strategic arms limitation with the Soviet Union, promoting peace and stability in the Balkans, expanding NATO to include former Soviet-bloc nations and opposing the First Gulf War. More recently, he advocated American action to end the genocide in Darfur and spoke out against President George W. Bush’s handling of the Iraq War, particularly opposing the troop surge of 2007.

In addition to foreign policy, Biden was an outspoken proponent of tougher crime laws. In 1987, Supreme Court nominee Robert Bork’s failure to receive confirmation was largely attributed to harsh questioning by Biden, who was then chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee. In 1994, Biden sponsored the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act to add 100,000 police officers and increase sentences for a host of crimes.

biography.com

Jason Munro  Nov 9, 2017 • 11:02:02pm

I love the music I have been exposed to on this blog, thanks to Charles, and everyone else in the comments for great recommendations.

I humbly recommend P. S. Elliot, a band I only recently found out about, but have really been enjoying.

teleskiguy  Nov 9, 2017 • 11:16:41pm
sagehen  Nov 9, 2017 • 11:38:52pm

re: #32 Shiplord Kirel, live from behind wingnut lines

Henry Big Boy Carbine, .357 Magnum.

Can I assume you’ll be inviting us all to a venison barbeque in the near future?

Anymouse 🌹  Nov 9, 2017 • 11:52:55pm

Josh Groban sings Donald Trump tweets.

Josh Groban Sings Donald Trump Tweets

teleskiguy  Nov 10, 2017 • 12:00:03am
[deleted]  Nov 10, 2017 • 12:05:48am
goddamnedfrank  Nov 10, 2017 • 12:20:25am
Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Nov 10, 2017 • 12:29:37am

re: #58 goddamnedfrank

I feel like Bernie Sanders’ sick 1972 rape fantasy essay is suddenly relevant again. This shit was a big part of the enabling culture

I have no problem with fantasies. I have no problem with people sharing their fantasies in print or film or even acting them out…with consenting adult partners.

What part of “consenting adult” do people have trouble understanding?

goddamnedfrank  Nov 10, 2017 • 12:29:59am
Anymouse 🌹  Nov 10, 2017 • 12:30:35am

re: #59 Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))

What part of “consenting adult” do people have trouble understanding?

The sex part.

goddamnedfrank  Nov 10, 2017 • 12:33:04am

re: #59 Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))

What part of “consenting adult” do people have trouble understanding?

The problem with his essay is they way he characterizes the fantasy as ubiquitous to both genders and the modern societal reaction to & rejection of it as relationship destroying.

Anymouse 🌹  Nov 10, 2017 • 12:36:25am

Conservative Christian Pastor Gets Vaccines COMPLETELY Wrong (goes to Utah Outcasts at YouTube. Utah Outcasts are a small group of atheists who are stranded in Utah. Disclaimer: I was recently discussed on their show.)

15:10

A conservative Christian pastor goes all in on every wingnut and moonbat idea of vaccinations - especially that white women aren’t having enough babies (due to vaccination).

NSFW for explicit language.

goddamnedfrank  Nov 10, 2017 • 12:37:54am
Anymouse 🌹  Nov 10, 2017 • 12:38:01am

Of note: Vaccines are evil, because everyone who has been vaccinated will die.

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Nov 10, 2017 • 12:40:38am

re: #62 goddamnedfrank

Sexuality is part of one’s personality, and everyone’s personality is different. I have had girlfriends who were really hot in bed but still very prude and even ashamed about sex and their bodies, I have known others who were not at all prude but just not very sexually active.

There was nothing “wrong” about any of it…it is about finding a compatible partner and not thinking there is any “right” way to share, express or live one’s sexuality…as long as it is mutual, respectful and consenting.

teleskiguy  Nov 10, 2017 • 12:45:21am

This guy’s career is going the way of Weinstein right quick.

Bums me out. I genuinely enjoyed his stuff. Then again, thinking about it, his stuff was largely autobiographical, which is fuckin’ creepy.

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Nov 10, 2017 • 12:46:54am

re: #63 Anymouse 🌹

Vaccinations is a case of wingnut/moonbat convergence: moonbats with their distrust of Western Medicine and Big Pharma, and wingnuts with their distrust of Modern Science and Big Government.

Combined, they create a critical mass of derp that is threatening lives and health throughout our country.

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Nov 10, 2017 • 12:48:42am

re: #67 teleskiguy

Yeah, I found a lot of his stuff touching and could relate to him, being a separated, part-time dad and trying to date women around that. But for god’s sake, if a woman is not into having sex with me, I am not going to employ force, threat or coercion on her…

goddamnedfrank  Nov 10, 2017 • 12:52:55am

On the plus side the tweet is triggering the shit out of Trumpers.

On the negative side this cover is so bad it should come with a free bowl of soup. It’s immature, tries way too hard to be clever and reduces an incredibly serious issue to the level of a prurient joke.

Anymouse 🌹  Nov 10, 2017 • 12:55:23am

Some can be reached, others are hopeless (and right wing pulpit pimps prey on those):

Rick Wiles: A Foreign Army Will Invade America If We Don’t Shut Down Planned Parenthood (Goes to Right Wing Watch, more at the link):

End Times broadcaster Rick Wiles claims that he was told by God many years ago that he would one day have a national television program and that when that day came, it would be a sign that the end of America was at hand.

Last week, Wiles finally began broadcasting his national television program and he has used every episode to preach an urgent message of repentance to the nation, warning last night that if America doesn’t shut down Planned Parenthood and outlaw pornography, we will be invaded and conquered by a foreign army.

Wiles said that when a nation turns from God and goes into “wickedness, idolatry, sorcery, lewdness and murder,” then God “will bring in a foreign nation to drive them out of the land that they possess.” Wiles warned that this is exactly what is about to happen to America.

Whatever it is that liberals do with the media, one thing we have to figure out is how to call out propaganda and exploitation for what it is. The goal is not to magically turn a conservative into a liberal. The goal is to get conservatives to critically think about what they consume in media.

That said, churches and right-wing organisations put a fantastic amount of money (much of it tax-free) to convince those of conservative leanings not to think critically.

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Nov 10, 2017 • 1:03:47am

re: #71 Anymouse 🌹

That is shat lies behind “American Exceptionalism”: we are exceptional because we are God’s Chosen Nation. We are God’s Chosen Nation because our laws and institutions reflect (their fundamentalist, narrow-minded and bigoted interpretation of) God’s Divine Law.

And if we fail to live up (their version of) God’s Divine Law, then he is going to open up a Divine Kingdom-sized can of smite all over our asses.

Shiplord Kirel, live from behind wingnut lines  Nov 10, 2017 • 1:29:02am

re: #68 Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))

I really think some of the anti-vaxxers are deliberately trying to cause death and misery, something like the infamous suicide predators. I wonder if they paint little kill marks on their monitors every time someone dies because of their quack advice. This one from a fundy creationist gang targets old people specifically, and could be especially lethal:
Dr. Russell Blaylock Warns: Don’t Get the Flu Shot — It Promotes Alzheimer’s

Shiplord Kirel, live from behind wingnut lines  Nov 10, 2017 • 1:31:31am

Shiplord Kirel, live from behind wingnut lines  Nov 10, 2017 • 1:37:19am

Spread by unprotected fox

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Nov 10, 2017 • 1:46:02am

re: #74 Shiplord Kirel, live from behind wingnut lines

There is a grain of truth behind this…the role of government intervention, through tax cuts, aids or subsidies, should be to help people out of difficult or existentially threatening situations that they themselves cannot really influence: natural disasters, massive shifts in the labor market or other unforeseen circumstances.

But once these benefits are in place, they are hard to budge.

And the issue of public institutions, infrastructure, public health and education is another matter. These should properly be seen as public investments, but the GOP Free-Market approach looks on these merely as operating costs, to be trimmed to a minimum in order to increase profits.

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Nov 10, 2017 • 1:51:26am

re: #75 Shiplord Kirel, live from behind wingnut lines

BREAKING: Deadly virus kills 26 people in Texas. Weeks ago, an outbreak in Vegas killed 59 people in one day. In response, US govt plans to do…nothing. In fact, CDC is prohibited from studying it. Several Senators have offered thoughts and prayers.

Hard to believe, isn’t it?

The virus of freedom must be vectored by the blood of the innocent!

Amory Blaine  Nov 10, 2017 • 1:53:18am

Pacific Rim countries move closer to TPP without US

Japan and 10 other countries were moving closer to a deal on pushing ahead with the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade pact without the US, in a sign of how Pacific Rim economies are moving on with globalisation despite resistance from Donald Trump.

Japanese prime minister Shinzo Abe was expected to join leaders from other TPP countries including Australia, Canada, Chile, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore and Vietnam as soon as Friday in declaring their commitment to the pact on the sidelines of a regional summit that Mr Trump is attending.

Amory Blaine  Nov 10, 2017 • 2:11:42am

Guess I’m home alone tonight!
*off go the pants.
/Ahhhh

Amory Blaine  Nov 10, 2017 • 2:15:05am

A year and a day after her defeat, Hillary Clinton explains ‘What Happened’

Hillary Clinton still knows how to make an entrance.

A year and a day after being on the losing side of one of America’s greatest political upsets, Clinton came to Milwaukee’s Riverside Theater on Thursday night to explain “What Happened.”

And after receiving a minute-long standing ovation from a near sell-out crowd, she broke the ice with a quick quip: “Well, I should have come back sooner.”

teleskiguy  Nov 10, 2017 • 2:16:21am
Amory Blaine  Nov 10, 2017 • 2:25:39am

Fallone: Foxconn deal tips scales of justice in Wisconsin

…The Foxconn legislation creates special treatment for Foxconn whenever the corporation is sued in Wisconsin courts. The law forces the Wisconsin Supreme Court to directly take appeals involving “Electronics and Information Technology Manufacturing Zones” (EITM) from the circuit courts. By law there is only one such zone, and that zone is soon to be home to Foxconn. Typically, the high court would hear appeals at its discretion, and then only after the case was heard by an intermediate court.

The reason for placing cases involving Foxconn on a “fast-track” to the Wisconsin Supreme Court should be obvious. That Court has a majority of Justices who were elected with the financial support of Wisconsin’s largest trade and manufacturing lobbyists. The drafters of the legislation expect these justices to be sympathetic to the concerns of manufacturers such as Foxconn.

We expect state court judges to be free to exercise their independent judgment when deciding the merits of a case. The trial judge hears the facts and evidence and determines the appropriate remedy should the plaintiff prevail. It is not the state Legislature’s job to decide which party in a case should win, or what remedy should be imposed in an individual case.

Amory Blaine  Nov 10, 2017 • 2:26:33am

cont.

However, the Foxconn legislation mandates that any ruling by a lower court that involves the EITM (and its sole beneficiary, Foxconn) must be automatically stayed while the fast-track appeal is pending. For example, if the trial judge hears the evidence and concludes that a violation of Wisconsin’s environmental protection laws is occurring, that judge would normally have the power to issue an injunction ordering Foxconn to immediately cease the challenged activity. The new law takes this remedy away from judges in cases involving Foxconn. If Foxconn is the defendant, a trial judge’s injunction would be automatically suspended, and Foxconn would be free to continue its conduct pending appeal. The trial judge can no longer order the remedy most appropriate to the facts.

In carving out special treatment for Foxconn, the Wisconsin Legislature is encroaching on the powers of the judicial branch to give a single corporation an advantage. In the past, states have offered tax breaks and cash incentives to businesses (this deal is the largest ever), but never before has any state modified its legal system to benefit a single company. This precedent inevitably will lead to other corporate employers demanding similar provisions. This legislation tilts the already-skewed scales of justice in favor of corporate power at the expense of the average citizen.

Dr Lizardo  Nov 10, 2017 • 3:16:55am

John Hillerman has passed away at the age of 84.

Two things I’ll always remember him for……his role in Blazing Saddles and of course, as Jonathan Quayle Higgins III in Magnum, P.I.

He owned that role.

RIP.

This photo is from his role in Chinatown…..and though a small part, he made the most of it.

John Hillerman as Russ Yelburton in “Chinatown”

hollywoodreporter.com

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Nov 10, 2017 • 3:27:30am

re: #83 Amory Blaine

so it does not stop at “corporations are people, too”, it is now “corporations are better than you!”

I cannot.  Nov 10, 2017 • 3:43:24am

re: #85 Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))

And even worse, “This one foreign corporation is better than you, or any AMERICAN corporation”

teleskiguy  Nov 10, 2017 • 4:03:09am

This is a weird one.

Aussie Apocalypse  Nov 10, 2017 • 4:08:44am

To quote McCarthy, out of context, on Roy:

He has lighted the spark which is resulting in a moral uprising and will end only when the whole sorry mess of twisted warped thinkers are swept from the national scene so that we may have a new birth of national honesty and decency in government.

In this case, molesting a 14 yo isn’t right, and those that think otherwise should be removed from any position of authority.

John Carter  Nov 10, 2017 • 4:11:28am

re: #67 teleskiguy

This guy’s career is going the way of Weinstein right quick.

I feel the same way. Like he is dead now or something.

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Nov 10, 2017 • 4:18:37am

re: #89 John Carter

I feel the same way. Like he is dead now or something.

I try to make a distinction between the personal life of the entertainer/athlete/historical figure and their art/athletic accomplishments/role in history, but when the two overlap, it grows more difficult. We all have moral failing, but when these become the basis of or a major part of their career, it blurs that distinction.

For that, I admit still love Bill Cosby’s old comedy routines and do not let his misogynistic record spoil them…

ozharas  Nov 10, 2017 • 4:20:26am

re: #78 Amory Blaine

Curveball : Canada’s PM Justin Trudeau sabotages Trans-Pacific Partnership, shocking leaders

theage.com.au

Dave In Austin  Nov 10, 2017 • 4:21:42am

Dickhead just landed in Da Nang.

Shropshire Slasher  Nov 10, 2017 • 5:06:36am

I have a paper cutter at work

Every time someone uses it and leaves the blade up it freaks me out, and I will go and lower the arm and lock it. I blame too many horror movies.

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Nov 10, 2017 • 5:08:55am

re: #93 Shropshire Slasher

I have a paper cutter at work

Every time someone uses it and leaves the blade up it freaks me out, and I will go and lower the arm and lock it. I blame to many horror movies.

they have models with a protective sleeve and guide rails that make it a lot harder to hurt yourself on them without really trying.

dangerman  Nov 10, 2017 • 5:12:39am

what is important to republicans:

moore was twice! removed from the ala supreme court for violating the constitution.

no one says he shouldnt be a u.s. senator because of that

Shropshire Slasher  Nov 10, 2017 • 5:14:40am

It’s 8:14 am, do you know where your children are? Randomness.

“It’s 10pm, do you know where your children are?”

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Nov 10, 2017 • 5:14:47am

re: #95 dangerman

what is important to republicans:

no one says he shouldnt be a u.s. senator because of that

To his supporters, that is a feature, not a bug: he is someone who puts God’s Law above the Constitution. Which is just what they want to see done all over America. Their Christian fundamentalist interpretation of God’s law, that is…with certain exceptions and exemptions, of course.

Smith25's Liberal Thighs  Nov 10, 2017 • 5:15:12am

re: #95 dangerman

what is important to republicans:

no one says he shouldnt be a u.s. senator because of that

They just use those situations as their proof that Christianity is under attack in the United States. You are allowed to openly act in Unconstitutional ways as an elected official for Jesus if you have that (R) beside your name.

dangerman  Nov 10, 2017 • 5:16:28am

re: #30 Barefoot Grin

they are implying the story is true

while moore is denying it

dangerman  Nov 10, 2017 • 5:23:13am

re: #65 Anymouse 🌹

Of note: Vaccines are evil, because everyone who has been vaccinated will die.

“mother’s milk leads to heroin”

Shropshire Slasher  Nov 10, 2017 • 5:27:20am

re: #94 Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))

Paper cutters are very handy for booking your roofing shingles. I tried finding a decent definition of booking, but basically you cut the first four starting courses of shingles so that you stagger the end joint. I suck at teaching, lol.

Dave In Austin  Nov 10, 2017 • 5:29:31am

re: #93 Shropshire Slasher

I have a paper cutter at work

The object is to remove the blade and run around the office with it raised above your head…… That will get their attention.

Dave In Austin  Nov 10, 2017 • 5:29:46am
Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Nov 10, 2017 • 5:38:40am

There is a psychological aspect to anti-vaxers that became apparent to me when we attended a baby swimming course a long time ago: as part of the course, we were supposed to hold the baby’s head under water briefly to get them used to it.

One of the mothers just could not bring herself to do so, she felt that she was somehow hurting her baby. Even though this was something that will eventually benefit the kid and might even save its life one day, she lacked the self-assurance to act in a manner she felt was harmful over the short term.

I suspect she never got her kid vaccinated, either…

Dave In Austin  Nov 10, 2017 • 5:43:35am
dangerman  Nov 10, 2017 • 5:53:07am

re: #97 Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))

True though I was speaking of all the Washington R’s now distance g themselves “if the allegations are true”

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Nov 10, 2017 • 5:55:26am

re: #106 dangerman

RM is trying hard to paint himself as the victim of a deep-state liberal smear campaign, as if it mattered to his supporters…

jeffreyw  Nov 10, 2017 • 6:03:15am

Imgur

Good morning!

lawhawk  Nov 10, 2017 • 6:04:27am

Greets and saluts from the Resistance in the NYC metro area. Roy Moore’s defenders are still projecting and deflecting even as some GOPers are saying he should step down if the allegations are true.

Oh really?

Meanwhile, more women are coming forward against other prominent men, whether it’s comedian Louis CK or Steven Seagal or the USA Gymnastics team doctor. In that latter case, USA gymnastics knew and did nothing, putting 100s of young women and girls in peril. Among those who are alleging they were sexually abused: Aly Raisman.

All the allegations of sex abuse and harassment kind of overshadow other big news, relating to Trump-Russia, and relates to Flynn and his idiot son. Turns out that Mueller’s apparently got the goods on both - for being involved in trying to kidnap and ship off a controversial religious cleric back to Turkey at Erdogan’s request in exchange for $15 million.

Then there’s Papadopoulos:

(Bert the Turtle)  Nov 10, 2017 • 6:10:54am

Mornin. I realize Tapper’s considered a bot of a dickbag around here, but this is so messed up:

Citizen K  Nov 10, 2017 • 6:14:40am

re: #110 (Bert the Turtle)

HappyWarrior  Nov 10, 2017 • 6:21:29am

re: #110 (Bert the Turtle)

Oh wow.

Unshaken Defiance  Nov 10, 2017 • 6:24:57am

re: #111 Citizen K

re: #112 HappyWarrior

Oh wow.

So how great would it be to juxtapose GOP contempt for Kevin Spacey and those “Hwood libs” and their outright acceptance of similar behavior from their own?

Eventual Carrion  Nov 10, 2017 • 6:30:09am

re: #111 Citizen K

Worked for Big Daddy Amin.

Unshaken Defiance  Nov 10, 2017 • 6:30:32am
Dave In Austin  Nov 10, 2017 • 6:30:33am
HappyWarrior  Nov 10, 2017 • 6:31:14am

re: #113 Unshaken Defiance

Or Anthony Weiner.

Unshaken Defiance  Nov 10, 2017 • 6:35:41am

re: #117 HappyWarrior

Indeed. The list could go on.

Unshaken Defiance  Nov 10, 2017 • 6:36:36am

Got this from someone here…

HappyWarrior  Nov 10, 2017 • 6:37:36am

The other thing is conservatives are constantly accusing liberals of engaging in moral relativism and here they are to rationalize Moore. Honestly, I’m glad to see their hypocrisy exposed. It just sucks that it took something like this to expose that.

makeitstop  Nov 10, 2017 • 6:38:07am
HappyWarrior  Nov 10, 2017 • 6:38:35am

re: #118 Unshaken Defiance

Indeed. The list could go on.

I don’t recall any liberals let alone prominent ones defending Weiner. We were all rightfully disgusted.

HappyWarrior  Nov 10, 2017 • 6:39:56am

re: #121 makeitstop

I’m honestly shocked that Sean hasn’t had any allegations thrown at him but I guess he’s just an enabler like Moore’s fellow Alabama GOPers.

Shiplord Kirel, live from behind wingnut lines  Nov 10, 2017 • 6:45:31am

re: #109 lawhawk

Kidnap a refugee and turn him over to the Turks? This is medieval level treachery. I wonder if the fundy GOP base will recoil in disgust at this utterly depraved and corrupt not-seen-in-modern-times betrayal of Christian principle?
Hah! Just kidding.

Citizen K  Nov 10, 2017 • 6:46:59am

re: #120 HappyWarrior

I mean, it hasn’t exactly been hidden much even before this. And it’s not like not exposing this meant it didn’t happen either. Sunlight is the best disinfectant.

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Nov 10, 2017 • 6:47:01am

re: #124 Shiplord Kirel, live from behind wingnut lines

Hah! Just kidding.

A man accused of crimes against the current leader of Turkey…all sounds perfectly in line with Trump’s approach to dealing with his political adversaries.

Dave In Austin  Nov 10, 2017 • 6:47:52am
Shiplord Kirel, live from behind wingnut lines  Nov 10, 2017 • 6:49:18am

re: #126 Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))

LOCK HER HIM UP!

HappyWarrior  Nov 10, 2017 • 6:52:08am

re: #127 Dave In Austin

Goes to show you the “concerns” Erickson claimed to have last year about Trump were only because he didn’t buy Trump’s religious act and that he thought he wasn’t a “real conservative.”

GlutenFreeJesus  Nov 10, 2017 • 6:55:10am

I guess it took Trump’s bone spurs 49 years to heal. He’s finally in Vietnam!

(Bert the Turtle)  Nov 10, 2017 • 6:59:08am
Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Nov 10, 2017 • 7:01:21am

re: #131 (Bert the Turtle)

while I disagree with Roy Moore’s history of banging children, I will still vote for him because of his yosemite-sam level of gun fetishism and his off-the-charts levels of racism

and he hates Political Correctness!!!

Citizen K  Nov 10, 2017 • 7:02:28am

re: #131 (Bert the Turtle)

Gotta have your priorities after all. What’s a little statutory rape when you can fuck the poor AND the minorities for at least 3 generations?!

garzooma  Nov 10, 2017 • 7:11:46am

Randall Munroe at XKCD burns Twitter this morning:

Ace-o-aces  Nov 10, 2017 • 7:15:16am
Shiplord Kirel, live from behind wingnut lines  Nov 10, 2017 • 7:17:07am

Molesting little girls, selling a refugee to the Turks; the reports of Republican depravity are coming in so fast we can barely keep up. How long before a major GOP figure gets caught buggering an American eagle in the middle of the Washington Mall? In broad daylight. In front of thousands of school children. I doubt the base would care though.

Jay C  Nov 10, 2017 • 7:17:56am

re: #122 HappyWarrior

Does it matter? Sean Hannity or some other Fox-bot can (and probably will) rant away about how “liberals ignored or defended Anthony Weiner” and the audience will eat it up and incorporate it into their mindset without a moment’s hesitation.

This is political media in 21st-Century America: Truth is optional……

Dizzy  Nov 10, 2017 • 7:18:00am

re: #116 Dave In Austin

Thanks. That brought back memories of me sneaking a listen to my brothers Zappa collection over 40 years ago.

scottslemmons  Nov 10, 2017 • 7:18:51am

re: #136 Shiplord Kirel, live from behind wingnut lines

As I’ve said way too often, it’s only a matter of time before a major Republican politician or pundit is revealed as a serial killer, and the party shrugs it off because “I’m focused on tax cuts.”

Citizen K  Nov 10, 2017 • 7:19:17am

re: #136 Shiplord Kirel, live from behind wingnut lines

They’d say that he was doing his part to ensure the proliferation of American Bald Eagles, something something Endangered Species Act something something.

Mike Lamb  Nov 10, 2017 • 7:21:55am

It’s amazing to me that so many Republicans, particularly in Alabama, are completely showing their ass on the Moore accusations, and absolutely no price will be paid. The crazy part is that with most of the statements from these fuckstick yokels it wouldn’t even matter if the accusations somehow turned out to be false—they are just totally fucked up statements.

Barefoot Grin  Nov 10, 2017 • 7:24:14am

re: #93 Shropshire Slasher

I have a paper cutter at work

Having worked in a deli, I have vivid nightmares of those meat/cheese slicing machines (even though there was never an accident). I was using one a hundred times a day in a fast-paced environment.

stpaulbear  Nov 10, 2017 • 7:26:52am

Ugh. It’s 15 degrees in the Twin Cities this morning. I’m not ready.

Barefoot Grin  Nov 10, 2017 • 7:28:01am

re: #143 stpaulbear

Ugh. It’s 15 degrees in the Twin Cities this morning. I’m not ready.

Yeah, it’s scheduled to hit us by tomorrow afternoon. Ugh. Didn’t want to pull the longjohns and winter coat out this soon.

Teukka  Nov 10, 2017 • 7:30:39am
Dave In Austin  Nov 10, 2017 • 7:34:40am

re: #138 Dizzy

Me too. And relevant so many years later.

Jay C  Nov 10, 2017 • 7:36:25am

re: #141 Mike Lamb

Agreed. But IMO, the most fucked-up part is that to so many of these Alabama Republicans, it wouldn’t even matter if the accusations turned out to be TRUE.

lawhawk  Nov 10, 2017 • 7:37:36am

Trump took out full page ads calling for the death penalty for the Central Park Five. The courts eventually exonerated them on DNA evidence. Trump wanted to ignore that too.

Eventual Carrion  Nov 10, 2017 • 7:39:52am

re: #135 Ace-o-aces

It isn’t really an accusation. It was widely “known” and a reporter happened to snoop into it while covering another story. Ran down the rumor and found it to have substance. These women didn’t come forward, they were found to corroborate a rumor.

The Vicious Babushka  Nov 10, 2017 • 7:40:51am

re: #145 Teukka

Block [Y/N]?

Not all Twitter accounts with random numbers are trolls.

I was followed by some random number accounts but their timelines seemed actually thoughtful and coherent, so I sent a DM asking why they had such a strange Twitter ID? They answered “I wanted to use the name of my favorite character/celebrity and this is what Twitter assigned me.”

Barefoot Grin  Nov 10, 2017 • 7:42:03am

[It is indeed…who Republicans are.]

I Would Prefer Not To  Nov 10, 2017 • 7:42:57am

Fuck Trump.

Dizzy  Nov 10, 2017 • 7:46:00am

re: #146 Dave In Austin

Me too. And relevant so many years later.

At the time I loved Zappa’s weirdness but did not recognize his genius or how prophetic he was until recently.

The Vicious Babushka  Nov 10, 2017 • 7:47:15am

Here are the world leaders in their matching bowling shirts.

Dr Lizardo  Nov 10, 2017 • 7:49:03am

re: #149 Eventual Carrion

Heh. My guess was right - that Moore’s proclivities were an open secret in the Alabama GOP.

William Lewis  Nov 10, 2017 • 7:49:43am

Good morning all,

I had a pleasant evening catching up with my friend. We’re planning on doing it again soon.

How was your night?

The Vicious Babushka  Nov 10, 2017 • 7:50:31am
Dr Lizardo  Nov 10, 2017 • 7:51:50am

re: #136 Shiplord Kirel, live from behind wingnut lines

As long as it’s done in Jesus’ name, it’s all good with the GOP base.

HappyWarrior  Nov 10, 2017 • 7:51:50am

re: #152 I Would Prefer Not To

Fuck Trump.

Deported US Veterans. Only in the age of Trump sigh.

HappyWarrior  Nov 10, 2017 • 7:53:18am

re: #137 Jay C

This is political media in 21st-Century America: Truth is optional……

Well I’m saying it shows the difference between left and right so in that sense it does matter.

HappyWarrior  Nov 10, 2017 • 7:54:12am

re: #135 Ace-o-aces

Coming from a dude who pushed Pizzagate as Godpel truth.

weave  Nov 10, 2017 • 7:54:34am

Patricia Kayden  Nov 10, 2017 • 7:56:52am

re: #7 MsJ

SHHHHH. Don’t goad him. You know he has the story lined up already and is just waiting for a meanie to force him to put it out there.

Schweppes7  Nov 10, 2017 • 7:57:03am

re: #159 HappyWarrior

To be fair, some of the veterans quoted in the article were deported in 2010 under Obama. They had been convicted of crimes after their service and were deported for that reason. I am sure Trump has exacerbated this process and made things worse but the policy discussed in this article was carried out by the previous administration, though it continues today.

Patricia Kayden  Nov 10, 2017 • 7:58:01am

re: #157 The Vicious Babushka

What an awful human being. No wonder Trump loves him so much.

HappyWarrior  Nov 10, 2017 • 7:58:18am

re: #164 Schweppes7

True.

Barefoot Grin  Nov 10, 2017 • 7:58:40am

re: #165 Patricia Kayden

What an awful human being. No wonder Trump loves and envies him so much.

Yep.

gwangung  Nov 10, 2017 • 7:59:52am

re: #164 Schweppes7

Yeah, but that still doesn’t sit right with me.

You serve? You get citizenship. You get in a battle? You don’t have to wait; you get it right there and then.

makeitstop  Nov 10, 2017 • 8:00:28am

re: #154 The Vicious Babushka

Here are the world leaders in their matching bowling shirts.

I’m a little surprised that Trump and Putin aren’t holding hands.

Dr Lizardo  Nov 10, 2017 • 8:02:14am

re: #169 makeitstop

I’m a little surprised that Trump and Putin aren’t holding hands.

Or this:

The famous “Socialist Fraternal Kiss” between Brezhnev and Honecker
FormerDirtDart  Nov 10, 2017 • 8:02:20am
HappyWarrior  Nov 10, 2017 • 8:02:27am

re: #168 gwangung

Yeah, but that still doesn’t sit right with me.

I agree.

Schweppes7  Nov 10, 2017 • 8:02:38am

re: #168 gwangung

Yeah, but that still doesn’t sit right with me.

I agree with you, but was just pointing out that Trump was not the one to blame for this specific point. The Obama administration certainly had some flaws with its immigration policy as well, though it can be easy to forget when faced with the cartoonishly evil cruelty of the Trump administration’s policies.

HappyWarrior  Nov 10, 2017 • 8:03:42am

re: #173 Schweppes7

I agree with you, but was just pointing out that Trump was not the one to blame for this specific point. the Obama administration certainly had some flaws with its immigration policy as well, though it can be easy to forget when faced with the cartoonishly evil cruelty of the Trump administration’s policies.

You’re certainly right there. I hope the next administration has an all around humane immigration policy.

Patricia Kayden  Nov 10, 2017 • 8:05:01am

re: #122 HappyWarrior

Initially, fashion designer Donna Karan made a sympathetic statement about Weinstein and tried to shift the blame to the women but then almost immediately walked back her comment and blamed it on being jetlagged.

vanityfair.com

DodgerFan1988  Nov 10, 2017 • 8:07:49am

“Moderate” WH Chief of Staff John Kelly trying to deport tens of thousands Central American immigrants.

HappyWarrior  Nov 10, 2017 • 8:08:18am

re: #175 Patricia Kayden

vanityfair.com

Right but no elected officials or anyone like that.

HappyWarrior  Nov 10, 2017 • 8:08:42am

re: #176 DodgerFan1988

Kelly’s a goddamned asshole.

lawhawk  Nov 10, 2017 • 8:10:00am

re: #178 HappyWarrior

There’s a reason Trump wanted him in the first place. This is why.

He’s a nativist asshole just like all the rest of the GOPers surrounding Trump.

GlutenFreeJesus  Nov 10, 2017 • 8:11:03am

Kelly would have made a good Hitler general in the movie Downfall.

HappyWarrior  Nov 10, 2017 • 8:12:59am

re: #180 GlutenFreeJesus

Kelly would have made a good Hitler general in the movie Downfall.

He definitely would have never taken part in the July Plot.

I Would Prefer Not To  Nov 10, 2017 • 8:16:16am

re: #164 Schweppes7

If they are good enough for the military they should be good enough to be citizens. If they commit crimes and are convicted they should go to jail.

Eventual Carrion  Nov 10, 2017 • 8:18:38am

Getting first snowfall of the year here in NW Pennsylvania. More tiny sleet balls, but solid precip from sky.

HappyWarrior  Nov 10, 2017 • 8:20:04am

re: #182 I Would Prefer Not To

Yep.

Belafon  Nov 10, 2017 • 8:26:43am

re: #152 I Would Prefer Not To

When you think of Veterans tomorrow, remember how many we deported.

FormerDirtDart  Nov 10, 2017 • 8:29:21am
Unshaken Defiance  Nov 10, 2017 • 8:29:33am

re: #176 DodgerFan1988

Moderate meaning no midnight sweeps. Yet.

makeitstop  Nov 10, 2017 • 8:30:02am

Papadopoulos should be pleading to Mueller for his life right now.

FormerDirtDart  Nov 10, 2017 • 8:31:29am

sigh

Unshaken Defiance  Nov 10, 2017 • 8:32:20am
HappyWarrior  Nov 10, 2017 • 8:34:29am

re: #190 Unshaken Defiance

No kidding. But then again, he ran on the fact that he was proud of his removal because he stood up for “Christianity.”

FormerDirtDart  Nov 10, 2017 • 8:42:32am
Semper Fi  Nov 10, 2017 • 8:52:56am

re: #180 GlutenFreeJesus

Kelly would have made a good Hitler general in the movie Downfall.

That man just does not photograph well…an almost sinister look about him.

Kilroy was here  Nov 10, 2017 • 9:10:13am

With news the Moore is trying to fund raise off his pedophilia I’m surprised that Doug Jones hasn’t even mentioned it on his twitter.
Is this smart?
Going “high” against a slime like Moore seems like a waste of an opportunity to bury him.
twitter.com
Still Jones still got my $25 and I hope he uses it wisely.

HappyWarrior  Nov 10, 2017 • 9:21:00am

re: #194 Kilroy was here

Is this smart?
twitter.com
Still Jones still got my $25 and I hope he uses it wisely.

Isn’t there an old saying about letting an opponent hang himself with his rope. Was just telling my dad that Doug is the guy who prosecuted the killers of the four little girls in Birmingham. His reaction was “Wow, he’s old.” He didn’t realize how long it took to get those cases to court.

Skip Intro  Nov 10, 2017 • 9:22:15am

Trump judge nominee, 36, who has never tried a case, wins approval of Senate panel

Brett J. Talley, President Trump’s nominee to be a federal judge in Alabama, has never tried a case, was unanimously rated “not qualified” by the American Bar Assn.’s judicial rating committee, has practiced law for only three years and, as a blogger last year, displayed a degree of partisanship unusual for a judicial nominee, denouncing “Hillary Rotten Clinton” and pledging support for the National Rifle Assn.

On Thursday, the Senate Judiciary Committee, on a party-line vote, approved him for a lifetime appointment to the federal bench.

Talley, 36, is part of what Trump has called the “untold story” of his success in filling the courts with young conservatives.

In short, business as usual in the Trump regime and the totally corrupt GOP.

latimes.com

sagehen  Nov 10, 2017 • 9:24:05am

re: #195 HappyWarrior

For perspective about how long ago (not) that crime happened, who those girls might have become if they hadn’t been murdered to support segregation and white supremacy: one of the little girls was a close friend, classmate and playmate of Condoleeza Rice.

Citizen K  Nov 10, 2017 • 9:24:29am

re: #196 Skip Intro

In short, business as usual in the Trump regime and the totally corrupt GOP.

latimes.com

An administration that not only encourages failing upward, but maintains it as its foundational principle.

FormerDirtDart  Nov 10, 2017 • 9:28:11am
Skip Intro  Nov 10, 2017 • 9:28:40am

re: #198 Citizen K

Just more evidence every single day that Trump is going for a totalitarian regime like his pals Putin, Erdoğan, and Duarte. Fill the government with incompetents and fools so that nobody challenges the boss man.

The new Fourth Reich is coming along nicely.

HappyWarrior  Nov 10, 2017 • 9:38:05am

re: #199 FormerDirtDart

Agh.

Mike Lamb  Nov 10, 2017 • 9:45:25am

re: #199 FormerDirtDart

And all those libertarians who rail against the abuses of eminent domain will have zero problems when the gov’t takes these people’s property for pennies on the dollar.

gocart mozart  Nov 10, 2017 • 9:50:07am

re: #188 makeitstop

Papadopoulos should be pleading to Mueller for his life right now.

Yet he struck a deal for from zero to 6 months. Makes one wonder how much evidence he is offering Mueller in return.

Hecuba's daughter  Nov 10, 2017 • 9:58:22am

re: #198 Citizen K

It is the whole Republican party that is corrupt to its core. It looks like the Senate is as bad as the House.

Patricia Kayden  Nov 10, 2017 • 10:04:04am

re: #199 FormerDirtDart

I’ll be quite shocked if any wall actually gets built but that doesn’t mean much since I’m shocked that Trump is in the White House in the first place.

weave  Nov 10, 2017 • 10:06:50am

re: #199 FormerDirtDart

Here you go….

goo.gl

That’s RGV-005 on the map (marked hard) — have a look around at who is going to be uprooted by the wall.

ObserverArt  Nov 10, 2017 • 10:08:09am

re: #111 Citizen K

This Ed Henry dude looks like he could be a twin to another deplorable big mouth asshole. One Joe Walsh.

weave  Nov 10, 2017 • 10:09:33am

re: #202 Mike Lamb

The one link I just posted above is a trailer park. Meaning they are fucked since most likely they rent the lots their homes are on, and usually other trailer parks won’t allow used homes to be moved into their parks. Meaning they’ll get eviction notices with no payment since they don’t own the land, and they’ll have nowhere to move their homes.

Ace-o-aces  Nov 10, 2017 • 10:09:42am

The WHATABOUTS are out in force today.

goddamnedfrank  Nov 10, 2017 • 10:11:19am

The really horrible thing is that this monstrous response isn’t at all surprising.

I Would Prefer Not To  Nov 10, 2017 • 10:11:43am

re: #209 Ace-o-aces

Is Kevin spacey running for office in the real world. If yes, I will not vote for him.

HappyWarrior  Nov 10, 2017 • 10:13:30am

re: #209 Ace-o-aces

The WHATABOUTS are out in force today.

Kevin Spacey isn’t running for Senate and actually unlike Moore lost his job.

Eventual Carrion  Nov 10, 2017 • 10:13:35am

re: #208 weave

Didn’t their parents leave them a $10 million estate? Losers

HappyWarrior  Nov 10, 2017 • 10:14:07am

re: #210 goddamnedfrank

Thanks for sharing Carroll. Now screw thyself.

gocart mozart  Nov 10, 2017 • 10:14:57am
How would Rove/Hughes Cover Up A Trump Pee Tape?
by Spocko
Earlier today Digby posted about the report that in preparation for the 2013 Miss Universe Pageant in Moscow, a Russian told Trump’s bodyguard, Keith Schiller, he could “send five women” to Trump’s hotel room. Schiller said he told the Russian, “We don’t do that type of stuff,” sources told NBC.

The story of Trump and the 5 women in Moscow got me thinking. What if you worked for Trump and knew the real story about this entire incident, as well as the rumors. How would you clean this story, or knock it down? I asked myself, What Would Karl Rove and Karen Hughes Do? WWKRKHD?

digbysblog.blogspot.com

Dr Lizardo  Nov 10, 2017 • 10:16:38am

re: #210 goddamnedfrank

These people simply aren’t right in the head.

Backwoods_Sleuth  Nov 10, 2017 • 10:18:17am

re: #145 Teukka

Block [Y/N]?

I blocked that one the other day.

Skip Intro  Nov 10, 2017 • 10:19:00am

lawhawk  Nov 10, 2017 • 10:21:22am

re: #210 goddamnedfrank

Well, good thing she’s getting lit up like a Christmas tree with that ratio of replies to likes.

“Only” molesting and abusing children.

These fuckers are so pro life it hurts.

No really, it hurts. Their idea of being pro life is to force women to carry to term, regardless of the personal costs (including whether the pregnancy was due to rape/incest or if the woman’s life is jeopardized by carrying (ectopic, etc.)) and then once the kid is born alive, not give a shit about how that kid is raised, whether the kid or his family have enough food, shelter, etc., because fuck you, I’ve got mine, and I want all the rest of yours too.

And why am I in a pissy mood about this? Gary Cohn, one of Trump’s redistribution of wealth experts, is busy trying to categorize Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security as welfare that they can pilfer so that they can give even bigger tax cuts to millionaires like Trump.

The GOP keeps treating this time in history as an opportunity to roll back a century or more of social and economic progress.

GOP delenda est.

piratedan  Nov 10, 2017 • 10:22:58am

re: #210 goddamnedfrank

and thusly, the work of Fox News and Breitbart et al is complete. They’ve managed to turn roughly 25-40% of the US into people who think being a Democrat is somehow the most heinous epithet in existence with reflexive nonsense like this, how do you reprogram these people into using any kind of rational thought?

I’m not saying that these people can’t be politically opposed to the things I believe in, far from it, but how can you even begin to speak to someone that believes that you’re evil incarnate just because of who you vote for, in any kind of rational way.

It’s a good thing that we’re a nation of laws, somehow the fact that these people aren’t simply shooting us all down in cold blood I guess is a win…I feel like Theoden at Helms Deep, how can we deal with so much relentless hate?

Ace-o-aces  Nov 10, 2017 • 10:23:57am
makeitstop  Nov 10, 2017 • 10:24:34am

re: #215 gocart mozart

digbysblog.blogspot.com

Good article.

Digby desperately needs a facelift on that site, though.

dangerman  Nov 10, 2017 • 10:25:15am

re: #210 goddamnedfrank

I’d rather have a pedophile in office rather than a democrat any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Pedophiles only screw kids while democrats screw everyone.

you support a pig, you’re a pig.

The Vicious Babushka  Nov 10, 2017 • 10:25:30am
goddamnedfrank  Nov 10, 2017 • 10:25:38am
Dr Lizardo  Nov 10, 2017 • 10:25:52am

re: #218 Skip Intro

I’ve noticed a handful of Republicans saying that Moore needs to get out now (using their “if true” proviso). In a way, they’re the smart ones.

For instance, earlier today, Mitch McConnell said Moore should step aside (again, with that “if true” thrown in). I’m no mind-reader, nor do I claim to be, but I’m fairly sure that McConnell wants Moore to get out now while there’s still sufficient time to get another more viable candidate to replace him. Moore, however, is - if nothing else - a stubborn old bastard, and perhaps it might well be better from a strategic point-of-view for him to stay where he is. There’s a possibility of winning a Senate seat here with Moore as the candidate, albeit, a slim one. But it’s possible that while Moore’s Talibangelical followers won’t desert him, other less fanatical voters might be so repelled that they’ll stay home.

Plus…..this really energizes Democratic voters in Alabama.

HappyWarrior  Nov 10, 2017 • 10:26:58am

re: #224 The Vicious Babushka

Screw off Rush.

dangerman  Nov 10, 2017 • 10:30:42am

re: #226 Dr Lizardo

Plus…..this really energizes Democratic voters in Alabama.

i repeat my earlier observation re mitch and others:

- if he’s a child molester, he’s not fit to be in congress

that he factually lost his judgeship twice for violating the u.s. constitution? crickets

Eventual Carrion  Nov 10, 2017 • 10:30:56am

re: #225 goddamnedfrank

So we now have 2 offenders that have admitted to their actions. Guess that is something.

Jay C  Nov 10, 2017 • 10:30:57am

re: #226 Dr Lizardo

Plus…..this really energizes Democratic voters in Alabama.

Nice thought, but (to paraphrase Adlai Stevenson), we need a majority…..

Charles Johnson  Nov 10, 2017 • 10:34:49am

Wow, that statement from Louis CK is really grueling to read. He should have come clean long ago - he spent years dismissing and lying about the accusations. But he’s not dodging anything here.

Dr Lizardo  Nov 10, 2017 • 10:34:56am

re: #230 Jay C

Nice thought, but (to paraphrase Adlai Stevenson), we need a majority…..

What could work as well, and perhaps be even better, is if the GOP demands that Moore be booted off the ticket as the GOP candidate and installed one of their own (I’m thinking Luther Strange). Moore’s name would still appear on the ballot as it’s too late to remove it from the ballot, but this could split the GOP vote between the official GOP candidate and Moore.

Triangulation.

It probably won’t happen, but it would be glorious if the GOP really did that. I’d laugh so loud, you’d be able to hear me on the US West Coast.

makeitstop  Nov 10, 2017 • 10:37:12am

Hats off to him for his honesty. I hope he seeks help and gets a swing at a Second Act.

makeitstop  Nov 10, 2017 • 10:38:45am

My day just got a lot better. Rohrabacher (R-Kremlin) enter Mueller’s sights.

HappyWarrior  Nov 10, 2017 • 10:38:50am

re: #233 makeitstop

I’m glad he’s not victim blaming.

Big Beautiful Door  Nov 10, 2017 • 10:44:35am

re: #235 HappyWarrior

I’m glad he’s not victim blaming.

Which doesn’t in any way excuse his horrible acts. But compared to the victim blaming engaged in by Trump and Moore, he looks like a moral giant.

HappyWarrior  Nov 10, 2017 • 10:44:55am

re: #236 Big Beautiful Door

Oh absolutely.

makeitstop  Nov 10, 2017 • 10:45:02am

re: #235 HappyWarrior

I’m glad he’s not victim blaming.

Me, too. He did the right thing.

Charles Johnson  Nov 10, 2017 • 10:46:29am
Charles Johnson  Nov 10, 2017 • 10:49:14am
Citizen K  Nov 10, 2017 • 10:49:25am

A stark reminder that we’re still going to be paying for this administration for several generations…

lawhawk  Nov 10, 2017 • 10:54:58am

re: #224 The Vicious Babushka

ObserverArt  Nov 10, 2017 • 10:56:31am

re: #171 FormerDirtDart

Ohio Johnny is running for President. He just hasn’t told anyone yet. But he sure is positioning himself 180° from Trump and a lot of Republicans.

I figure sometime after the 2018 elections when he will have seen the elections for Governor finished up and so as to not influence that election he will start to make it even more likely he will run. By March 2019 I figure he will toss in his hat.

And no, this is no endorsement, just a comment from an Ohioan that has watched his career. I don’t like him…I just keep emphasizing he is a good politician.

TedStriker  Nov 10, 2017 • 10:57:21am

re: #242 lawhawk

Henry also said the women were “foolish” for coming forward with their accusations and hinted they’d regret “going down this road.

Sounds like a pretty explicit threat there, Representative; I think you’ll be the one with regrets.

BeachDem  Nov 10, 2017 • 10:58:27am

On a positive note, just had lunch with StanleySea!

cIOxdYCrLLZUQIg9VjfqaheQ/kdvcGOm2wBzV6n1vP9k/WhajxortsW81vGABG7/d6SMW6aM3g4SewKPm3FXg5TAE+WHLTp0DX7qpg+K9gfLZnx4TQDJCI47hWcBWX/tQu0fAlhKJOnizkng7p3ZfesHDw+8tld0OaTaNaveVFF9E7mOMWMLPBLVwBGN6SQZz+AImb+5aadq9R/PijiAAwEkXLDGrce4/ZVA5C3eNwmhj5EqoQvWU01u10ynw/u3MJL4xAehWn0Bi75OkXiDVN35m861VKeB2Hi6/DZj5yvkHU4y2BTDuZhYlsgo1U+f5onC4EzUXG+hP6/u3tnjCA==

lawhawk  Nov 10, 2017 • 10:58:54am

Trump is purposefully destroying the judiciary, and the GOP is rubber stamping his choices because they have the ideological bent they seek (gut functioning government, sabotage the system, restrict civil and voting rights, and overturn Roe).

These unqualified judges will find that their decisions are overturned at a tremendous pace, ruining the jurisprudence for their respective districts.

It would require impeachment of these individuals to remove them from the federal bench - or they’d have to die or resign first.

So, once again, elections have consequences, and the GOP is piling as many extremists into the bench as possible after obstructing as many Obama picks as they could.

Did I say I was pissy before?

GOP delenda est.

Big Beautiful Door  Nov 10, 2017 • 10:59:09am

re: #244 TedStriker

I wish that were true. But he’s an Alabama Republican, so probably not.

Mike Lamb  Nov 10, 2017 • 11:00:34am

This one is even worse. Most of the far right dickbags being nominated at least knew their asshole from their elbow on issues of procedure and how the federal courts worked. This guy is going to be have to be educated on everything. Nightmare decisions and a total nightmare to practice in front of.

Belafon  Nov 10, 2017 • 11:00:47am

re: #246 lawhawk

Balloon Juice has a piece up about Trump and Co’s destruction of the State Department.

dangerman  Nov 10, 2017 • 11:03:43am

re: #236 Big Beautiful Door

i remind myself daily that forgiveness only means giving up all hope of a better past.
it is not weakness, does not happen quickly, does not forget nor condone the past.

FormerDirtDart  Nov 10, 2017 • 11:08:01am
sagehen  Nov 10, 2017 • 11:08:19am

re: #246 lawhawk

Except, sadly no.

The wrong decisions by district courts… only a tiny percentage of those will be accepted for a look-see by the appellate courts.

And wrong decisions by appellate courts… only a tiny percentage will be accepted for a look-see by the Supremes.

So the vast majority of wrong decisions by unqualified judges will be left to stand, like heads on a row of pikes, as a warning to the hoi polloi not to irritate their betters.

makeitstop  Nov 10, 2017 • 11:09:36am

re: #245 BeachDem

On a positive note, just had lunch with StanleySea!

Stanley Sea is on my list of Lizards I’d Like To Meet.

Actually, you all are. :)

HappyWarrior  Nov 10, 2017 • 11:12:01am

Henry even said Shelby’s statement about Moore was because Shelby used to be a Democrat.

HappyWarrior  Nov 10, 2017 • 11:12:25am

re: #251 FormerDirtDart

Just ban him already.

sagehen  Nov 10, 2017 • 11:12:33am

found in the comments, a quote from an Atlantic mag piece earlier in the year:

“This is probably what it felt like to be a British foreign service officer after World War II, when you realize, no, the sun actually does set on your empire,” said the mid-level officer. “America is over. And being part of that, when it’s happening for no reason, is traumatic.”

lawhawk  Nov 10, 2017 • 11:15:30am

There’s a bunch of folks here who went to law school and practiced, and I can tell you straight up that no one that green out of law school would feel prepared to be appointed to a lifetime post like a federal judge.

There’s a reason that the ABA found this nutjob to be unqualified. He lacks the requisite knowledge/understanding to make reasoned decisions.

He hasn’t been practicing long enough to know the basics.

A good analogy is that you’ve just handed the keys of a SR-71 to a guy whose only flight experience is a flight sim (on a C64) and flying coach.

HappyWarrior  Nov 10, 2017 • 11:17:26am

re: #257 lawhawk

He hasn’t been practicing long enough to know the basics.

It’s jist absurd.

Unshaken Defiance  Nov 10, 2017 • 11:41:07am

re: #246 lawhawk

We lose the judiciary, we lose EVERYTHING. Sorry ‘bout the hollering.

Alephnaught  Nov 10, 2017 • 12:09:56pm

re: #210 goddamnedfrank

I noticed one of these replies to this tweet: is it a bot?

Aucun pays pour les vieux ennemis  Nov 10, 2017 • 12:13:53pm

re: #260 Alephnaught

I noticed one of these replies to this tweet: is it a bot?

It would be so easy to ban the foreigners interfering in our politics when they don’t even hide their location.

Deadpool’s “Wet on Wet” Teaser After surviving a near fatal bovine attack, a disfigured cafeteria chef (Wade Wilson) struggles to fulfill his dream of becoming Mayberry’s hottest bartender while also learning to cope with his lost sense of taste. Searching to regain his spice ...
Voice of America Reporter Outed as Alt-Right However, using information Fatzick himself posted on Reddit — including his age, girlfriend’s name, former employers, friends, location, educational background, and sports affiliations — this reporter was able to tie the vile posts of UncleSam4200 to the Voice of ...
3 days, 1 hour ago
Gary Clark Jr - Come Together (Official Music Video) [From the Justice League Movie Soundtrack] Official Video for "Come Together" by Gary Clark Jr. featured in the Justice League Movie trailer. In theaters November 17th 2017.Directed by Kris Merc Get the song now at garyclarkjr.com Check out the Justice League soundtrack here: lnk.to Follow ...
Kimbra - Top of the World (Official Music Video)New from Kimbra The new single Top of the World is available now on Apple Music, Spotify, Google Play, and more. Get the single here - kmbra.me The new studio album Primal Heart out wwide January 19th, 2018Preorder now - ...
6 days ago
The Barr Brothers - Song That I Heard (Live on KEXP) kexp.org presents The Barr Brothers performing "Song That I Heard" live at Breakglass Studios during POP Montreal 2017. Recorded September 16, 2017. Audio Engineer: James BenjaminCameras: Jim Beckmann, Ian Cameron & Scott HolpainenEditor: Jim Beckmann kexp.orgpopmontreal.combreakglass.ca With support from ...
1 week ago
Left Cries Foul, but Electoral College Prevents Tyranny of the Majority I'm speechless...this is what we have to fight against: Image: constitution-1486010_960_720.jpg Author: Paul Jenkins(Paul Jenkins is editor of the anchoragedailyplanet.com, a division of Porcaro Communications) The political left and its mouthpiece, The New York Times, are still fuming over ...
Cheechako
1 week ago
Tune-Yards - Look at Your Hands (Official Video) 'Look at Your Hands' by Tune-Yards. New album 'I can feel you creep into my private life' is released January 19th 2018: smarturl.it Video by Michael SpeedFootage by Marisa Gesualdi & Jennifer SommerAdditional photos by Nate Brenner, Ginger Fierstein ...
Beck Performing ‘Up All Night’ Live on KCRW Watch / Listen to the full session here: kcrw.com Beck has always been a chameleon and his latest Colors finds him returning to the incredibly upbeat songs that drove earlier albums like Odelay and Guero. This performance, recorded at ...
Thundercat Performs ‘Them Changes’ With Jon Batiste & Stay Human Bass-man and musical wunderkind Thundercat sits in with the Late Show house band to perform this track off his latest album 'Drunk.' Subscribe To "The Late Show" Channel HERE: bit.lyFor more content from "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert", ...
Andrew Bird & St Vincent Soirée De Poche #9 | Subscribe for more: bit.ly Shot in Paris in April 2009 Setlist: Part 1 - Andrew Bird00:53 - Effigy05:29 - Tenuousness09:04 - Natural Disasters Part 2 - St Vincent & Andrew Bird (from 15:00)16:00 - What Me Worry22:27 - ...