The Art of Noise: Ohmme: NPR Music Tiny Desk Concert [VIDEO]

Music • Views: 24,039

YouTube

May 9, 2019 | Bob Boilen — When Sima Cunningham and Macie Stewart fired up their angular guitar sounds during soundcheck at the Tiny Desk, I was thrilled. The shrieking, rhythmic noise these two classically trained musicians make as Ohmme is what made their debut album, Parts, a musical highlight for me in 2018. But hearing them in the office, trading vocals with such ping-pong precision, sent me into euphoria. This is now one of my all-time favorite Tiny Desk concerts.

Sima Cunningham and Macie Stewart, along with drummer Matt Carroll, steer clear of rock music clichés that plague so much of the music I hear these days. Their adventurous spirit, reminiscent of Dirty Projectors, is sometimes challenging. But it opens a window on what the voice can be. It also redefines what the guitar can do — at one moment it’s a stuttering percussive instrument, the next it’s a bed of noise with a harsh tone that somehow morphs its way into the melody.

For this Tiny Desk, we hear four well-crafted songs from that 2018 album, Parts, with subject matters ranging from the wretched times we live in to understanding human behavior and the tale of an aging grandmother who loses her body before her mind. This brilliant band from Chicago has a creative future ahead of it, and I feel like we captured a bit of lightning in a bottle and a glimpse toward that bright future.

SET LIST
“Water”
“Icon”
“Parts”
“Grandmother”

MUSICIANS
Sima Cunningham: vocals, guitar; Macie Stewart: vocals, guitar; Matt Carroll: drums

CREDITS
Producers: Bob Boilen, Morgan Noelle Smith; Creative Director: Bob Boilen; Audio Engineers: Josh Rogosin, James Willetts; Videographers: Morgan Noelle Smith, CJ Riculan, Bronson Arcuri; Associate Producer: Bobby Carter; Photo: Laura Beltrán Villamizar/NPR

gocart mozart  May 21, 2019 • 9:01:01pm
teleskiguy  May 21, 2019 • 9:02:43pm
gocart mozart  May 21, 2019 • 9:09:24pm
gocart mozart  May 21, 2019 • 9:17:56pm
teleskiguy  May 21, 2019 • 9:21:39pm

I’ve heard this song probably hundreds of times. It showed up in my shuffle, and I couldn’t contain my glee! Great song for young children!

Wowie Zowie

dog philosopher ஐஒஔ௸  May 21, 2019 • 9:29:18pm

the phone says it’s not raining so stop raining rodrammit

Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus  May 21, 2019 • 9:31:04pm
dog philosopher ஐஒஔ௸  May 21, 2019 • 9:32:18pm

re: #3 gocart mozart

to jure: #7 Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus

extra updings for my man scriabin

crazy fucker

teleskiguy  May 21, 2019 • 9:32:33pm

For the pro-wrestling fans among Lizardim.

Teukka  May 21, 2019 • 9:43:08pm

Morning musics in this lizards lair:

Jean Michel Jarre - Industrial Revolutions (Full Song)

Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus  May 21, 2019 • 9:55:42pm

Have a pile of dimes here… found one from 1955, meaning it is 90% silver… so coin buyers will pay me about $.90 for it or so…

Wheee…

Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus  May 21, 2019 • 9:57:54pm

Looking at it again… it’s a 1952s.

Worth $3 or so….

Wheeee….

teleskiguy  May 21, 2019 • 9:58:44pm

re: #11 Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus

Wheee…

Giphy

Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus  May 21, 2019 • 10:02:16pm

re: #13 teleskiguy

I had a big old pile of coins… already traded in two roles of dimes to the bank… never thought of looking at their dates, me having assumed (wrongly) that collectors and silver-hounds would have filtered out all the silver coins by this late date.

Dread Pirate Union Local 13  May 21, 2019 • 10:11:35pm
Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus  May 21, 2019 • 10:20:33pm

Removing silver from the US coins was a thing, a hot thing, way back in 1965. Today only the “libertarian” loonies rant on about debased currency, but back then the topic was of general interest.

Then when the Hunt bros. silver thing was going strong, everyone was getting on the silver bandwagon, and bags of dimes (a thousand at a time) were the hot thing.

We humans… we get fixated on these things.

Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus  May 21, 2019 • 10:26:44pm

I remember someone - whether me, or my sister, or maybe my grandmother, I do not remember - had one of those blue folding coin-collecting booklets that companies like Littleton put out, for dimes. Don’t know what happened to it, but if it was full of dimes it would be worth a nice sum today.

Me - I mostly collected stamps. Cheaper than coins, but alas, also they do not appreciate much in value. I doubt many young people collect stamps anymore, philately being a thing of a bygone era.

Joe Bacon 🌹  May 21, 2019 • 10:28:11pm

re: #15 Dread Pirate Union Local 13

The stupid never stops. It just keeps growing…

dog philosopher ஐஒஔ௸  May 21, 2019 • 10:31:34pm

me i collect paper currency

my uncle brought back a handful from wwii, including a nazi reichmark, and that got me started

what i like most are the intricate and beautiful designs, like late czarist notes, german issues of the late teens and early 20s, and notegeld

dog philosopher ஐஒஔ௸  May 21, 2019 • 10:40:35pm

teleskiguy  May 21, 2019 • 10:44:55pm
Teukka  May 21, 2019 • 10:46:18pm

re: #21 teleskiguy

*hands over flak jacket, helmet and pallets of sandbags*

teleskiguy  May 21, 2019 • 10:48:34pm

re: #21 teleskiguy

teleskiguy  May 21, 2019 • 10:54:16pm

re: #23 teleskiguy

Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus  May 21, 2019 • 10:55:27pm

Once again, no one won the MegaMillions jackpot, which is now climbing into real money territory.

Lots of fives came up tonight:

MM05212019

wVr2I3qRDxZWk9EizPValRGsi/STJPr0WvQwBd7SYW+Q3SqvSUwZxGdWUAlJIX+zKxF1SSp6CTLMA6v1h+k9BPAuV09mqcbpUNj7ycU9/Vkuo6W1SoFphVH1vxNNr0Jgbsp2FQm+braGWndGCWLY/HZZOAbvrmowe3NI5d7/I4tgAFTdD6U7T/WpNeh5hi3xC8N4wJihVWzhk0ohF4pODIoX3Zye3eEzDHL5Txil4raXi6r67cKWfGf8FY2Va1gj02LEV+nsRe1I92HYAdTu+aX8tJo+cK34w4fwdymxTbT67c9ljtnt3HqCC7IuggQp

Next jackpot is $393M. If it crosses the $400M mark then it will climb very rapidly, from real money to scary money.

goddamnedfrank  May 21, 2019 • 11:00:31pm

re: #15 Dread Pirate Union Local 13

LikwtEAkbsDIgXMQjwfYL33yRhCvmfB27JfEqJ+H5B+WYq1UYQpMayaBFjlyVGhmp2w10144Es+Eip8bZcRO+z6mH7/4bMraHFVR3NF8tJmHfgZKrfykT6dtZwUvq/qoCEGQGBoijGFLE3BQdvDDfrpiiptcqpeUjUBlPuwP8EWrmct7zpfB9we1fdIRcNBWef44dRBC/6EvfEhgjj+o7te3mHCCnIfZeCwtT3G0Dpcd/yCJf3pYJqPVjYhaUwyl

Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus  May 21, 2019 • 11:02:46pm

Many people get bothered by the fact that lottery numbers do not come up as they want… take this guy for example, who seems rather angry:

Blind Frog Belly White  May 21, 2019 • 11:04:56pm

re: #27 Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus

Now we know why he can’t finish a damn book.

Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus  May 21, 2019 • 11:07:21pm

re: #28 Blind Frog Belly White

Now we know why he can’t finish a damn book.

Different George Martin, though the one whose tweets I posted himself does vanity publishing of get-rich books on Amazon.

Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus  May 21, 2019 • 11:09:42pm

Here’s one of his wacky lottery-winning “systems” books:

amazon.com

Shiplord Kirel, Friend of Moose and Squirrel  May 21, 2019 • 11:10:06pm

re: #25 Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus

Lots of fives came up tonight:

Next jackpot is $393M. If it crosses the $400 mark then it will climb very rapidly, from real money to scary money.

Still couldn’t run for president, though. Oh, well, it would be a start.

Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus  May 21, 2019 • 11:11:53pm

re: #31 Shiplord Kirel, Friend of Moose and Squirrel

If MegaMillions jackpot is not won on Friday, the cash value of the following Tuesday will make the winner on par with Mitt Romney in regards to personal wealth… and probably a whole lot richer than Donald Trump in reality (and not his fantasy billionaire persona by which he tricks his marks.)

teleskiguy  May 21, 2019 • 11:15:27pm

When I was 20 I got a 36-year-old woman pregnant. The “morning-after-pill” solved that, and she started taking the pills (three of them) more than two weeks after I got her pregnant. She knew her cycle, and knew something was up. I paid for half of the prescription.

Shiplord Kirel, Friend of Moose and Squirrel  May 21, 2019 • 11:16:53pm

re: #32 Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus

I don’t have a swarm of billionaires and corporate fatcats behind me, though, so I would have to cover it myself.

Shiplord Kirel, Friend of Moose and Squirrel  May 21, 2019 • 11:18:52pm

Rigging the lottery would be child’s play to faking the Moon landings, and that was 50 years ago, before overshoes were invented.

Shiplord Kirel, Friend of Moose and Squirrel  May 21, 2019 • 11:22:35pm

Only a few hundred people in one state would have to be in on rigging a state lottery, compared to millions all over the world for the Moon landings.

Shiplord Kirel, Friend of Moose and Squirrel  May 21, 2019 • 11:29:13pm

They need advice from the guys who built the Berlin wall. Oh. Wait.

Facebook Post

Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus  May 21, 2019 • 11:31:53pm

re: #34 Shiplord Kirel, Friend of Moose and Squirrel

Thing is, though, that money attracts money.

More specifically, bad money drives out good money.

As long as you are not bad money, more money will be attracted to you.

This is how our society works.

Anyone who wins a cash-value of $250M will all of a sudden discover that they have many rich friends.

teleskiguy  May 21, 2019 • 11:33:59pm

Dude, the Get Shorty soundtrack is fuckin’ awesome. Funky fuckin’ shit.

NO SMOCKING GUN!  May 22, 2019 • 12:13:58am

re: #16 Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus

We humans… we get fixated on these things.

While the gold bugs have been waiting for decades for us to notice our money is made of paper and has no intrinsic value, we’ve pretty much quit using paper money and moved on to electrons.

goddamnedfrank  May 22, 2019 • 12:24:10am
Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus  May 22, 2019 • 12:51:48am
goddamnedfrank  May 22, 2019 • 12:59:47am

Someone’s dash cam caught footage of that CA Air National Guard pilot punching out of an F16 over Riverside a couple days ago.

F-16 Pilot Ejects @ March ARB in California (DASHCAM)

Chrysicat  May 22, 2019 • 1:06:11am
Dread Pirate Union Local 13  May 22, 2019 • 1:18:38am

My friend in Australia told me about this Canadian TV show called Letterkenny. I found some episodes online and I love it. It reminds me of where I come from, rural Canada. This probably wouldn’t be on American TV and this clip may be a bit NSFW of a topic but I have a sick sense of humor. So try at your own risk.

Letterkenny Season 2 - Squirrely Dan’s Relationship

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  May 22, 2019 • 1:29:27am

re: #37 Shiplord Kirel, Friend of Moose and Squirrel

Or, about $525,000 a yard.

Trump values things on how much they cost.

So we have the Greatest Wall in the World, no other Wall cost as much to build and maintain.

Again, if he had been at all serious about The Wall as anything other than a rallying cry, he would have appointed a planning commission to produce design studies, legal and environmental impact reports, a schedule and of course a proposed budget.

We have seen nothing of the like forthcoming from this “master builder”

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  May 22, 2019 • 1:41:02am

re: #41 goddamnedfrank

Every time this article says “working class,” it means “white.” Every time it says “blue collar,” it means “white.” Every time it says “Youngstown,” it means “a rural township 15 miles away from Youngstown, a city that’s half black.”

That is a brilliantly written piece of crap. It really dances around the latent racism bubbling up in these communities. Fueled by “economic anxiety” but something that was always present even when these communities were doing much better economically.

Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus  May 22, 2019 • 2:11:27am
DangerMan  May 22, 2019 • 2:50:52am

Mrs DM got a jury notice.
She called in last night and they want her this AM.

So I’m up to make her breakfast and send her off

a body just wells with civic pride at 5:30AM. Not.

Decatur Deb  May 22, 2019 • 2:55:01am

re: #44 Chrysicat

Ouch. Misunderstanding of the word “clerical” here. In the US, at least, it primarily refers 2 “support-staff of a non-home business”. The only jobs that were relatively stable for me were file clerk and warehouse clerk, which were still major (if dead-end) roles in the 90s.

I remember the moment in 1957 when I learned the difference. In Operation Mad Ball conman Pvt Hogan arranges increased “clerical workers” to expedite the return to CONUS. Until then, I thought they were looking for additional priests. (Confusion originates in the early medieval, when priests/monks pretty much had the market for ink cornered.)
imdb.com

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  May 22, 2019 • 3:15:03am

re: #49 DangerMan

Mrs DM got a jury notice.
She called in last night and they want her this AM.

So I’m up to make her breakfast and send her off

a body just wells with civic pride at 5:30AM. Not.

I have not lived in the States for decades and was never called up for jury duty when I lived there. But what sort of notice are they supposed to give?

DangerMan  May 22, 2019 • 3:33:26am

re: #51 Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))

depends on whether it’s federal, state, or county/municipal - the procedures are all different

this is county / Florida
they send a notice in the mail a few weeks ahead
then you call in the night before.
if your lottery number comes up you have to appear
if not you’re done (till next time)

they try to estimate the number of likely cases so they get the timing pretty good
its better than having everyone sit around in a room for a week waiting for something to happen

last time i was called was 2018. i didnt have to go in
before that was 2009

(i told mrs dm to say she thinks they’re all guilty) ;-)

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  May 22, 2019 • 3:36:28am

re: #52 DangerMan

this is county / Florida
they send a notice in the mail a few weeks ahead
then you call in the night before.
if your lottery number comes up you have to appear
if not you’re done (till next time)

aha, so you have a bit of a heads-up…

Does Florida have the death penalty?

Off with all their heads!!!

Dr Lizardo  May 22, 2019 • 3:48:45am

re: #53 Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))

aha, so you have a bit of a heads-up…

Does Florida have the death penalty?

Off with all their heads!!!

[potential juror]: “I say, hang ‘em all!!”

[court official]: “Um, sir, it was a jaywalking ticket.”

[potential juror]: “HANG ‘EM!!”

Alephnaught  May 22, 2019 • 4:08:10am

re: #15 Dread Pirate Union Local 13

I had to laugh when I read this bit in the article.

QAnon’s new ties to Ramtha have opened up a split among QAnon believers, many of whom fear that associating with people who believe in an ancient warrior spirit will make QAnon believers look ridiculous.

NO SMOCKING GUN!  May 22, 2019 • 4:13:03am

re: #55 Alephnaught

I had to laugh when I read this bit in the article.

Too late to worry about that now.

DangerMan  May 22, 2019 • 4:15:50am

I mentioned justin amash yesterday re R’s in disarray

here’s another story

Washington Examiner: “Republican leaders in the Senate are aggressively defending Sen. Thom Tillis, with plans to carpet bomb primary challenger Garland Tucker across the North Carolina airwaves if he jeopardizes the incumbent’s 2020 reelection.”

party before country and everything else
anything to maintain the purity

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  May 22, 2019 • 4:15:54am

re: #55 Alephnaught

I had to laugh when I read this bit in the article.

as long as Ramtha has bad things to say about the Deep State, Hillary and Soros, we will refrain from laughing at her believers

Dr Lizardo  May 22, 2019 • 4:27:21am

re: #55 Alephnaught

I had to laugh when I read this bit in the article.

I think it’s more like some of the Qultists (and probably those who’ve been monetizing it) are worried about alienating the Bible thumper Q-cumbers - the fundie wackos are a big segment of the QAnon base.

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  May 22, 2019 • 4:34:45am

re: #59 Dr Lizardo

They will always defer to the monetizing aspect of their ideology

jeffreyw  May 22, 2019 • 4:37:53am

Good morning!

Dr Lizardo  May 22, 2019 • 4:38:02am

re: #60 Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))

They will always defer to the monetizing aspect of their ideology

That’s very true, and they could certainly be worried that Ramtha might be even better at monetizing the QAnon bullshit then they are. And they might be correct in that assessment. J.Z. Knight’s been running a pretty successful cult for over 40 years now, so she knows the angles.

Colère Tueur de Lapin  May 22, 2019 • 4:47:52am

re: #40 NO SMOCKING GUN!

Metal has the same value as the paper. What we assign to it. Come The Zombie Apocalypse, gold will have the same ‘intrinsic value’ as paper money; zilch.

DangerMan  May 22, 2019 • 4:55:26am

Molly McNearney

@mollymcnearney
We should try holding our politicians to the same standard we’ve set for producers of Game of Thrones

Colère Tueur de Lapin  May 22, 2019 • 4:57:17am

re: #55 Alephnaught

Yup. That’s the bridge too far.

BlueSpotinAL  May 22, 2019 • 4:57:25am

re: #40 NO SMOCKING GUN!

Electrons in a bank, worthless. Electrons in a Bitcoin wallet, valuable because not FIAT MoNeYs!!!11!!

Colère Tueur de Lapin  May 22, 2019 • 5:03:03am

re: #66 BlueSpotinAL

Extra valuable if there’s some kiddie-pr0n encrypted in the blockchain.

Shropshire Slasher  May 22, 2019 • 5:07:01am

Headline:

The mobs are ruining storm chasing

greenwichtime.com
and here I thought it had something to do with the Goodfellas or something.

Colère Tueur de Lapin  May 22, 2019 • 5:07:48am

re: #63 Colère Tueur de Lapin

Just to make an additional point. The value of gold is hyper-inflated because people are morons. Gold is no longer that uncommon/difficult to mine/acquire. It’s vaguely pretty; I find other metals/substances much more attractive for jewelry. It is very important in the electronics industry and the fact that it doesn’t react with oxygen is very useful. But valuable just because people used to revere it? Bah. I reiterate, people are morons.

Dr Lizardo  May 22, 2019 • 5:13:30am

Good article here on a long-simmering political scandal in the Czech Republic, largely centered around Prime Minister - and oligarch - Andrej Babiš. There have been large-scale protests against him as of late, and this article gets into some background as to why that is.

mo.be

DangerMan  May 22, 2019 • 5:16:03am

re: #20 dog philosopher ஐஒஔ௸

some more not so current currency via littlegreenfootballs

Feline Fearless Leader  May 22, 2019 • 5:20:48am

re: #46 Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))

Trump values things on how much they cost.

We have seen nothing of the like forthcoming from this “master builder”

For Trump as well it’s might not matter that it’s only a mile or two of wall, but who the contract to build it goes to - and how much of a kickback from awarding said contract goes into the pockets of Trump or his cronies.

Teukka  May 22, 2019 • 5:22:02am

When climate crisis throws a curve ball:
Aspen seeds believed to be behind somewhere around 200 brushfires in Stockholm county alone yesterday [N.B. In one friggin’ day!].
As a result of last summer being very warm, the aspen season this year is extreme, with aspen seeds (which have fluff) laying in drifts in some places.
Did I mention they are flammable?

Så lätt brinner det vita aspluddet

Oh wow, summer’s gonna be fun. NOT.

DangerMan  May 22, 2019 • 5:27:28am

re: #72 Feline Fearless Leader

and he gets to say ‘see, the wall is being built’

no matter that it’s just a mile, not 2000, and it cost billions and overruns

he’d never say any of that anyway - just ‘see, i said i would and i did’

Dr Lizardo  May 22, 2019 • 5:29:49am

re: #70 Dr Lizardo

I should add, there’s a fourth option as to why it looks like the EU seems to be protecting Babiš.

The article doesn’t cite this is as a reason, but I suspect that the EU doesn’t want to look like they’re interfering in Czech domestic politics, especially right at the moment with EU Parliamentary elections imminent.

If Babiš’ government fell, it would indeed redraw the electoral landscape of the Czech Republic. As things stand, his party (ANO) currently enjoys the support of about 30% (at minimum) of Czech voters. The problem in this case is that ANO is essentially a one-man-dog-and-pony show; if Babiš resigned, or was forced out, or just decided to say, “Fuck it, I’m going back to running Agrofert”, ANO as a party would pretty much cease to exist - and where those now disaffected (and probably angry and resentful) voters would drift off to next is anyone’s guess…..but from what I can gather, a good chunk of them might well gravitate towards ever more radical, and dangerous, populist parties.

Dr Lizardo  May 22, 2019 • 5:37:45am

OK….off to work for the afternoon session. Back later.

sagehen  May 22, 2019 • 5:39:37am

re: #69 Colère Tueur de Lapin

I remember reading something once about why gold, silver and copper (in that order) are the most valuable currency everywhere in the world, since forever, since long before any of the ancient civilizations had a chance to meet each other. It’s pretty simple.

Pull up a list of all the elements. All of them.

Now. Eliminate the ones that aren’t solid & tangible in your hand, the ones that can melt or evaporate at temperatures where people can live. Now eliminate the ones that are water-soluble. Or alcohol soluble. The ones that can flake or crumble. The ones that can rust. The ones that are radioactive and it’ll kill you to keep a pile of it under your bed. The ones that are too rare, the ones that can only exist in high-tech labs.

The three that are left, that even after you melt them at high temperatures remain themselves and be reshaped, are those 3. And their perceived value, everywhere, are in order or how easy are they to shape into the things you’d make out of them.

Bingo. That’s it.

nowherenorth2  May 22, 2019 • 5:52:56am

re: #45 Dread Pirate Union Local 13

Live by the Canadian border. Love the show. Full series is on hulu

Chrysicat  May 22, 2019 • 5:55:39am

re: #77 sagehen

Pull up a list of all the elements. All of them.

Bingo. That’s it.

If that’s really the case, why’s copper on the list? It oxidises, though less aggressively than most other metals. It’s toxic, too, though not radioactive. And platinum and titanium aren’t so rare as we thought in the past, though they’ve admittedly only been feasible to mine since the mid-19th century (and in titanium’s case, undiscovered until after the Revolution). Its big advantages now are more along the line of “verdigris, once formed, doesn’t eat below the surface”, “verdigris has a very aesthetically-appealing colour, though it really shouldn’t stay in contact with human skin for long”, and “copper is the best conductor of the ductile metals and most ductile of the great conductors, which means that it’s what all electrical wiring needs to be made of”. Those would seem good reasons for it to be bumped in favour of titanium (since platinum’s still rarer than gold), or bumped in favour of platinum, but with gold and silver each descending one level on the “precious” scale…

Colère Tueur de Lapin  May 22, 2019 • 6:02:36am

re: #77 sagehen

Bingo. That’s it.

Fascinating (I would argue that substances like tin and lead have similar properties) and more proof that in the modern age that people are morons. Also, why not the alloys?

Chrysicat  May 22, 2019 • 6:05:53am
Colère Tueur de Lapin  May 22, 2019 • 6:06:16am

re: #79 Chrysicat

More good points. re: #77 sagehen’s story is a good one, but simplistic. And I put that on the original storyteller, not sagehen.

Chrysicat  May 22, 2019 • 6:13:51am
Joe Bacon 🌹  May 22, 2019 • 6:14:20am

re: #35 Shiplord Kirel, Friend of Moose and Squirrel

Just a reminder about how Nick Perry rigged the Pennsylvania Daily Number to come up as 666…

en.wikipedia.org

Belafon  May 22, 2019 • 6:24:02am

re: #83 Chrysicat

If we’re able to be on here, then our job isn’t to run, it’s to take back what is ours.

Belafon  May 22, 2019 • 6:32:39am
lawhawk  May 22, 2019 • 6:34:38am

Greets and saluts from the NYC metro. It’s Fleet Week here, so there’s a number of American warships, along with several foreign flagged ships in for the week.

But that’s not what is really eating at me at the moment.

It’s that the media is treating the Carson OREO mess as a joke.

It’s the furthest thing from a joke.

We have a HUD Secretary who has been “on the job” for the better part of two years, and he doesn’t know the first thing about the job or basic terminology for the position. His role in Trumpworld is to sabotage functioning government; to make it harder for poor people to find and stay in affordable housing - and to enact harsh policies that make it harder for people to stay in housing.

He was never qualified for the role and the GOP rubber stamped his nomination (and far too many Democrats were far too willing to give him the benefit of doubt).

No one in Trumpworld is qualified for the positions they hold with limited exceptions (Cho is one). And everyone in Trumpworld is compromised in some way or another, including Cho (and Carson).

This is a GOP wet dream to sabotage functioning government to deliver on the promise to show government doesn’t function, deliver spending cuts, to get another round of tax cuts that flow to the millionaire class. At the same time, the GOP is undermining all the civil and voting protections we have had in place (and have taken for granted) for decades. Women and minorities are threatened daily by the creeping misogyny and racism that Trump is using to fuel his admin and his base of power.

Barefoot Grin  May 22, 2019 • 6:38:42am

My 15yo loves They Might Be Giants, so I’ve listened to them a LOT in the car. It might ruffle some feathers, but I HATE They Might Be Giants.

lawhawk  May 22, 2019 • 6:49:10am

Karma:

Trump’s appeal on thwarting the House from seeing his financial records goes before the DC Circuit Court of Appeals, which is headed by Judge Merrick Garland.

Garland may not actually sit on the case, but if he does, that’d be rich indeed.

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  May 22, 2019 • 6:54:00am

re: #79 Chrysicat

copper is fine once it gets a patina on it, that protects the rest of it inside

The Vicious Babushka  May 22, 2019 • 6:56:33am
Citizen K  May 22, 2019 • 7:00:40am

re: #79 Chrysicat

I assume a big part of it is the fact that copper is the majority element in Bronze, which was the big deal metal before Iron supplanted it, and even then, it had aesthetic value. Brass as well. And then, of course, the discovery of proper uses of straight copper and such.

The Vicious Babushka  May 22, 2019 • 7:07:32am
Chrysicat  May 22, 2019 • 7:07:34am

re: #88 Barefoot Grin

Yes, consider my feathers well and truly ruffled. Especially if you then come back and tell me you like The Mountain Goats.

Colère Tueur de Lapin  May 22, 2019 • 7:09:39am

re: #88 Barefoot Grin

It’s ok to be wrong. Very, very wrong.

DangerMan  May 22, 2019 • 7:09:43am

re: #89 lawhawk

Karma:

no doubt he will be a paragon of propriety and impartiality

my guess what he won’t do is allow any delay. it’ll be quick and streamlined.

Belafon  May 22, 2019 • 7:10:41am

re: #95 Colère Tueur de Lapin

It’s ok to be wrong. Very, very wrong.

“I may not like what you say,” grinds teeth, “but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” :)

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  May 22, 2019 • 7:11:18am

re: #88 Barefoot Grin

My 17-year-old daughter as well, bless her heart. I do everything to encourage it.

And besides, I had forgotten how incredibly contemporary this song from the 90’s has remained:

They Might Be Giants: Your Racist Friend *Studio Version & Lyrics*

Chrysicat  May 22, 2019 • 7:12:24am
Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  May 22, 2019 • 7:13:38am

re: #99 Chrysicat

JUST IN: Speaker Pelosi says “we believe the president of the United States is engaged in a cover up” by stonewalling testimony for ongoing congressional investigations.

why just yesterday people here were fretting that Nancy was letting the window of opportunity close on us.

I choose to trust her judgement on this

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  May 22, 2019 • 7:14:42am

re: #88 Barefoot Grin

If they are not your taste, I can see that they might get on your nerves. For that, I would rather slam my fingers in a car door than listen to anything by Journey

sagehen  May 22, 2019 • 7:17:14am

re: #93 The Vicious Babushka

Nancy is trying to lay down paving stones to provide a road to impeachment; half her caucus would rather use catapults to get to it quicker.

Nancy has the experience and discipline to realize a well-paved road will bring a lot more people to the destination.

Dave In Austin  May 22, 2019 • 7:17:16am

re: #100 Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))

why just yesterday people were fretting that Nancy was letting the window of opportunity close on us.

I choose to trust her judgement on this

Me too. She’s had her boots to the ground for a long time and knows procedure front and back.

DangerMan  May 22, 2019 • 7:18:11am

oh, and in case anyone missed, last year the IRS prepared a memo saying basically the law is unambiguous, and therefore it has no discretion in withholding the president’s tax information (unless the prez decides to assert executive privilege)

right now Mnuchin’s argument is that he does have discretion. that was a loser argument to start and it just got weaker.

As for the IRS, all it’s saying is if he does assert EP, they might have to wait till that fight plays out.

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  May 22, 2019 • 7:20:16am

re: #104 DangerMan

so expect a pivot to executive privilege. sure he can try. he’s likely to lose that too. Tax returns before he was prez? And in general how can his individual tax matters be a pertinent subject of official executive branch discussions?.

That is the very thing he is trying to cover up: his financial entanglements play a large role in his executive decisions

DangerMan  May 22, 2019 • 7:20:24am

re: #93 The Vicious Babushka

well played

people understand ‘cover up’ without any explanation necessary

Belafon  May 22, 2019 • 7:24:20am

re: #106 DangerMan

well played

people understand ‘cover up’ without any explanation necessary

“English, Man!”

Far too many people screaming for impeachment now forget that most people in this country aren’t paying as much attention as they are. And I know people hate hearing this, but impeachment is a political process, and while you might sometimes want to pay a political price for the right thing (see House members losing seats for voting for the ACA) we DO NOT WANT TO LOSE 2020. So we explain it to those paying less attention, or we let Trump demonstrate to those not paying attention why it needs to happen.

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  May 22, 2019 • 7:32:52am

“I’m an unemployed comic”

-“And why do you think you are…”

“Timing!”

-“…unemployed?”

DangerMan  May 22, 2019 • 7:34:33am

re: #100 Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))

I choose to trust her judgement on this

on impeachment timing:

- for now threatening impeachment may be far more effective than executing impeachment. The option always remains open, it keeps him off balance, and mad.

- she’s likely deliberately slow-walking this thing to maximize political damage to Trump and the GOP for an advantage in the 2020 elections. Maybe timing hearings for the summer of next year. Once the House votes to impeach and it moves to the Senate, those Senators who are up for re-election will have a very hard vote to cast.

- The longer Trump refuses to cooperate on anything the more this plays into those plans.

- Pelosi is too careful to impeach until she gets the information that she needs. They will continue to court fights while she tries to keep the caucus in line. They’ll continue to bleat, as they should - because every public statement is distracts him and keeps him off balance. That’s why I guess she can hold this off for a year or so.

- Trump is blocking 20 congressional investigations into him and his administration, leading Democrats to fight lengthy court cases instead of being able to do their job.

“At some point, as every committee gets stonewalled,” National Resources Committee Chairman Raúl M. Grijalva (D-Ariz.) warned recently “the case for impeachment as a mechanism to get what we need gets stronger and stronger.”

- Finally a regular commenter at politicalwire.com

I really sat and thought deeply why I am not eager to open impeachment hearings yet. I thought it was election timing; I thought maybe just too cautious. I think I figured it out.

Trump is a shitbag who kicks people when they are down. Even if Dems are 100% certain to open impeachment hearings -

Wait, be patient - wait for something really vile and awful or a major blunder that pushes Trump down to 32% - And kick this sleazy lying fat fuck when he’s down, really down, like even Hannity hates him.

It’s all timing, folks. Yes you could wait too late.
But if you’re going to get Deutsche Bank records to scrub down and pile up fresh horrific evidence - why move too soon?

If New York will hand over state tax filing to comb through, which will virtually show mirror image of sleazy lying federal taxes - why leap now when so much cause is at hand?

You wait for a week where (for example):
* China or other leaders really kick Trump in the balls;
* Another hooker or an abortion comes out on Trump;
* Unemployment kicks up/ stock market plunges;
* A few dozen more illegals are found on a Trump property, preferably with sick sex abuse stories;
* Farmers stage protests on Trump tarrifs;
* Mass shooting, botched disaster, etc.
* Ben or Betsy or Munchkin are caught in new sleaze - etc etc etc.

You want a period where it’s ten days of non-stop “Trump is a lying shitbag failure” and he’s already screaming on fire as his slime trail catches up to him. THEN you strike when everyone in the country is sick of that fat old fraud, even his voters.

The perfect window will open between June and September, let’s do this right and make it worse than a root canal.

(though i gotta say i had my first root canal (back molar) at 59. lots of years of hearing stories and fears, and omg! still got all my wisdom teeth too so no experience there. the dentist was so good it was mostly an annoyance.)

when this is unleashed, i want it to rain fire on the entire corrupt enterprise

DangerMan  May 22, 2019 • 7:36:13am

re: #102 sagehen

look at cummings’ planning and Mehta’s decision yesterday. like it was picture perfect. the plaintiffs got nothing.

Belafon  May 22, 2019 • 7:37:26am

re: #109 DangerMan

It’s been a while since a root canal was painful, so we really need a new metaphor.

DangerMan  May 22, 2019 • 7:38:04am

re: #105 Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))

right of course
the basis of EP is tenuous and recent enough as it is
as an argument against releasing his taxes, i think its a loser (ianal)

DangerMan  May 22, 2019 • 7:39:23am

“English, Man!”

further, there’s more than one ‘process’
- house hearings, which presumably lead to a
- house vote, then a
- senate trial

DangerMan  May 22, 2019 • 7:40:27am

yes. i really, really was impressed and pleasantly surprised.

lawhawk  May 22, 2019 • 7:42:29am
Mescalero  May 22, 2019 • 7:47:45am

Fred Keller won last night in Pennsylvania’s special election in restructured District 12.
In a landslide. He is a Tea Bag hack and mouthpiece for former governor Tom Corbett. I had a conversation with one of his staff a few years back and I asked why Pa had no extraction fee for natural gas being fracked out of the state. He told me “If they were taxed, they’d go elsewhere.” I said no other state doesn’t charge an extraction fee, where they going to go? Then he told me there was an “Impact fee, and they wouldn’t double tax.” I told him that the impact tax only goes to the counties where the fracking happens, and how does that serve the Commonwealth? He tried to change the subject, and actually walked away from me. Fred served as Representative of the House in Pennsylvania since 2011. Now he goes to Congress. Tom Marino, another Tea Bag wonderboy, held that seat until he abruptly resigned, hence the special election. Fred Keller is also from Kreamer Pa, where Wood Mode just shut a factory that employed 800 or so. He never mentioned that as he stood with Trump in Montoursville Pa the other night. And in this video, he went right from high school to a factory. Which one, Fred?
Fred Keller is a Rick Santorum in a cheaper suit. Same bag of roaches inside though.
He stands with Trump. Like Pat Toomey. Only more supple.

Meet Fred Keller

lawhawk  May 22, 2019 • 7:48:33am

Junior’s hawking a book?

Can’t wait to see the title… until then… here’s a few proposed titles:

And a few of my own:

Tales From a Cell.
Unwise Guys.
Smarter Than My Brother, Maybe
The Farce Awakens.

Chrysicat  May 22, 2019 • 7:51:37am

re: #113 DangerMan

further, there’s more than one ‘process’
- house hearings, which presumably lead to a
- house vote, then a
- senate trial

And of course, there’s also the new RW and even “centrist” talking point that “The Constitution says that the Senate shall be the “sole arbiter” of impeachment hearings, but not that it “shall conduct” them. They’re as discretionary as bringing the impeachment in the House in the first place”. (I first saw it linked to one of the tweets I was reading yesterday).

I’m pretty sure that’s weak tea, but I’m also sure that McTurtle will treat it as just that until we win a lawsuit to compel him to hand over the Senate to Roberts.

Jay C  May 22, 2019 • 7:52:46am

re: #105 Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))

Which “entanglements” he is likely to assert, are “private”, and absolutely none of Congress’s business to investigate.

Though Madam Speaker is definitely on to something here: she seems (IMO) to be finally pointing out the major glaring flaw in Trump’s “defense”: i.e. that if he really has been “exonerated” by “evidence”, what is he (still) trying to hide?

It just highlights the inconsistency in his increasingly-hysterical disclaimers about the Mueller Report and whatever conclusions it contains: basically “I’m completely innocent, and have nothing to hide, so I won’t give out any more data, ever!”

DangerMan  May 22, 2019 • 7:54:12am

re: #117 lawhawk

Junior’s hawking a book?

Can’t wait to see the title… until then… here’s a few proposed titles:

And a few of my own:

Tales From a Cell.
Unwise Guys.
Smarter Than My Brother, Maybe
The Farce Awakens.

let’s just be clear
Jr. got a book deal
Jr. is not ‘writing a book’

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  May 22, 2019 • 7:56:13am

re: #120 DangerMan

let’s just be clear
Jr. got a book deal
Jr. is not ‘writing a book’

He is putting his name on a book, just like his dad

lawhawk  May 22, 2019 • 7:58:17am

Mnuchin is testifying before the House Finance Committee… and it’s going as well as expected.

Rep. Waters thinks Mnuchin isn’t being truthful about the memo exposing the fact that he has no right to block the release of Trump’s tax info to Congress.

DangerMan  May 22, 2019 • 7:59:50am

re: #118 Chrysicat

yes. as i understand it, that’s all based in senate rules, which of course the senate makes themselves.

however, and yes, i’m just guessing:
- enough tide will have to have shifted if/when we get through the hearings and the house actually votes to impeach
- it will be evident that one senator from one state is substituting in his own judgement by standing in front of the entire constitutional process (due process!, have the trial!, let em vote! what are you afraid of!) etc. it would be light years past a merrick garland parliamentary trick.

Chrysicat  May 22, 2019 • 8:02:07am
Belafon  May 22, 2019 • 8:06:33am

re: #118 Chrysicat

I went looking and I don’t see that. I found this “The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments,” but that just means that they’re the trial after the House’s recommendation. I didn’t get any impression that it’s the Senate’s job to hold hearings. Maybe I’m misinterpreting.

Shropshire Slasher  May 22, 2019 • 8:06:36am

Florida Man has some competition.

A wild pursuit of an RV through the San Fernando Valley saw a dog leap from a moving vehicle, multiple crashes, and ended with the female driver taken into custody Tuesday evening.

The chase began in Santa Clarita when authorities tried to pull over an RV on Towsley Canyon around 7 p.m.

LASD initially called the vehicle a stolen RV, but Commander Ritchie Lew with Simi Valley Police Department later said the RV is believed to have been purchased using a stolen identity at Giant RV in Downey.

The RV was weaving in and out of traffic, at high speeds, and sustained extensive damage.

There appeared to be at least two dogs inside the RV during the chase.

At one point, a dog was seen leaping out of the moving vehicle onto Victory Boulevard at Topham Street in the Winnetka neighborhood. The dog immediately got up and ran off the road.

Another dog was later seen in the front seat.

Belafon  May 22, 2019 • 8:07:39am

re: #122 lawhawk

“Well, then, Secretary, here’s the law: You have to turn them over. Your IRS says so. So do it.”

Chrysicat  May 22, 2019 • 8:10:14am

You’re right, I mis-paraphrased and should have said “trial” rather than “hearing”. But note “sole power”. Not “automatic responsibility”, not “shall conduct”. Mitch may well refuse to let Roberts have his chambers as a courtroom on those grounds. Especially since it would hamstring SCOTUS for that time frame as well, and the next 20th-century law facing a test-case-to-overturn would almost certainly need CJUS’s help.

Shropshire Slasher  May 22, 2019 • 8:12:26am

re: #126 Shropshire Slasher

I especially liked how the RV lost its windshield, and the dog was just sticking his head out next to the driver. Around the 3:20 mark.

The Vicious Babushka  May 22, 2019 • 8:22:44am

JFC

Joe Bacon 🌹  May 22, 2019 • 8:23:22am

re: #129 Shropshire Slasher

This insanity rarely happened before California passed the Three Strikes law…

Chrysicat  May 22, 2019 • 8:24:04am

re: #131 Joe Bacon 🌹

This insanity rarely happened before California passed the Three Strikes law…

So she was a three-time-loser-to-be who decided they’d never take her alive and even failed at that?

wrenchwench  May 22, 2019 • 8:25:28am

re: #130 The Vicious Babushka

JFC

[this is a Witch Hunt against the Republican Party and myself]

He’s going to help us take the party down with him.

The Vicious Babushka  May 22, 2019 • 8:28:24am

re: #133 wrenchwench

He’s going to help us take the party down with him.

He’s just throwing shit against the wall at this point.

PROJECTING. LIKE. AN. IMAX. IN. OUTER. SPACE… SPACE… SPACE…

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  May 22, 2019 • 8:28:49am

re: #130 The Vicious Babushka

JFC

As I have long been saying, and has now been proven out, this is a Witch Hunt against the Republican Party and myself, and it was the other side that caused the problem, not us!

Your personal lawyer is in jail, as is your campaign manager and campaign adviser.

They were not the “other side”.

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  May 22, 2019 • 8:29:10am

re: #133 wrenchwench

He’s going to help us take the party down with him.

They will stick with him until it is too late to jump…

Scottish Dragon  May 22, 2019 • 8:29:54am

re: #102 sagehen

Belafon  May 22, 2019 • 8:30:27am

re: #134 The Vicious Babushka

He’s just throwing shit against the wall at this point.

PROJECTING. LIKE. AN. IMAX. IN. OUTER. SPACE… SPACE… SPACE…

He’s trying to make the party stand between him and what’s coming no matter how bad it gets. Let them do it.

Shropshire Slasher  May 22, 2019 • 8:30:36am

re: #131 Joe Bacon 🌹

I am disgusted with humans. She is sitting there cuffed while her dog stands next to her bleeding. Complete disregard for any life.

The Vicious Babushka  May 22, 2019 • 8:30:41am
Teukka  May 22, 2019 • 8:30:59am

re: #136 Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))

They will stick with him until it is too late to jump…

More like the following wise words:
“When religion and politics travel in the same cart, the riders believe nothing can stand in their way. Their movements become headlong — faster and faster and faster. They put aside all thoughts of obstacles and forget the precipice does not show itself to the man in a blind rush until it’s too late.”

The Vicious Babushka  May 22, 2019 • 8:32:05am

What a fucking dumbass.

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  May 22, 2019 • 8:33:27am

re: #142 The Vicious Babushka

Ben Carson claims Democratic lawmakers were using Alinsky tactics against him during yesterday’s hearings:

Alinsky Rule #427: ask them simple questions that really highlight that they are totally clueless about the job they are doing.

wrenchwench  May 22, 2019 • 8:34:01am

re: #134 The Vicious Babushka

He’s just throwing shit against the wall at this point.

PROJECTING. LIKE. AN. IMAX. IN. OUTER. SPACE… SPACE… SPACE…

As his tiny hands flail about, after each fecal toss he’s grasping for support. His tiny fingers will latch on to whoever’s remaining near him. His bulk will envelope many in the downward spiral.

They got Manafort. I’m hoping he gets Bolton and Steve Miller so bad, it serves as a warning to their ilk.

DangerMan  May 22, 2019 • 8:35:55am

The Vicious Babushka  May 22, 2019 • 8:37:00am

It’s Empty Podium Time

The Vicious Babushka  May 22, 2019 • 8:38:27am

TRUMP: We have declared Iran is illegal. The bombing began 5 minutes ago.

Backwoods_Sleuth  May 22, 2019 • 8:38:53am

Kentucky Dems need to avoid complacency.

wrenchwench  May 22, 2019 • 8:39:16am

re: #146 The Vicious Babushka

It’s Empty Podium Time

too soon for the resignation…too soon…calm down

Belafon  May 22, 2019 • 8:39:18am
Dave In Austin  May 22, 2019 • 8:39:29am

Sound off….. (Mute)

DangerMan  May 22, 2019 • 8:39:33am

re: #143 Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))

1 - any question i dont know the answer to is a trick/gotcha question

‘what magazines do you read?”

2 - any question that requires me to formulate an answer, even an answer i might know if i thought for a second, is a trick/gotcha question

3 - in short, any answer i give that makes me look bad must have been from a trick/gotcha question

Backwoods_Sleuth  May 22, 2019 • 8:39:41am

re: #146 The Vicious Babushka

It’s Empty Podium Time

MUELLER REPORT TIME

I see it’s no longer $40million…

Teukka  May 22, 2019 • 8:39:55am

re: #146 The Vicious Babushka

It’s Empty Podium Time

Dave In Austin  May 22, 2019 • 8:41:06am

I can’t even handle it’s voice at this point.

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  May 22, 2019 • 8:41:37am

re: #152 DangerMan

1 - any question i dont know the answer to is a trick/gotcha question

‘what magazines do you read?”

The most famous “gotcha” was asking Sarah Palin which Founding Father was her favorite.

It was clear that she could not simply pull a name off the top of her head, much less say why.

“All of them!”

The Vicious Babushka  May 22, 2019 • 8:42:01am
sagehen  May 22, 2019 • 8:42:37am

re: #124 Chrysicat

No offense to Harriet Tubman and her fans, but if it were up to me I’d put Sacajawea on the 20.

As a young woman, she was the translator and guide without whom the Lewis & Clark expedition would have been a dismal failure. She saved all their lives at least 3 times, without her they’d have never gotten back to DC with their report. The entire expansion of the country would have been on a vastly different timetable without her work.

50 years later, after she was probably dead, she’s who Susan B Anthony chose as the avatar of the women’s suffrage movement. Her portrait was their logo, it was on their letterhead, on the walls of their office, and they put up statues of her.

Plus… there’d just be an extra layer of poetic justice that a native woman should displace Andrew Jackson.

The Vicious Babushka  May 22, 2019 • 8:43:10am
Backwoods_Sleuth  May 22, 2019 • 8:44:24am
sagehen  May 22, 2019 • 8:44:39am

re: #131 Joe Bacon 🌹

This insanity rarely happened before California passed the Three Strikes law…

I thought the 3-strike law was repealed by referendum? Along with a bunch of used-to-be felonies being reclassified as misdemeanors.

Backwoods_Sleuth  May 22, 2019 • 8:44:57am
Backwoods_Sleuth  May 22, 2019 • 8:45:36am
Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  May 22, 2019 • 8:45:58am

“I’m the most transparent president in the history of the country,” declares POTUS reacting to Speaker Pelosi comment on a “cover up.”

She knew that would draw him out.

Now Mr, Transparency, about those tax returns…

The Vicious Babushka  May 22, 2019 • 8:46:41am
The Vicious Babushka  May 22, 2019 • 8:47:03am
wrenchwench  May 22, 2019 • 8:48:24am

Impromptu speech in the sun makes him squint like Nixon.

Backwoods_Sleuth  May 22, 2019 • 8:48:30am
FormerDirtDart 🍕🐀  May 22, 2019 • 8:49:11am
Backwoods_Sleuth  May 22, 2019 • 8:49:12am
The Vicious Babushka  May 22, 2019 • 8:50:27am
Backwoods_Sleuth  May 22, 2019 • 8:50:28am
wrenchwench  May 22, 2019 • 8:50:30am

I wanna see the graphic that includes ‘In Jail’ and ‘Fighting Subpoena’.

Backwoods_Sleuth  May 22, 2019 • 8:51:52am
Backwoods_Sleuth  May 22, 2019 • 8:52:31am
Backwoods_Sleuth  May 22, 2019 • 8:53:07am
gwangung  May 22, 2019 • 8:53:30am

Wasn’t doing his job before this, so this is kinda an empty threat.

The Vicious Babushka  May 22, 2019 • 8:55:28am
Backwoods_Sleuth  May 22, 2019 • 8:55:28am
Belafon  May 22, 2019 • 8:55:43am

Which is why all of those different subcommittees are doing due diligence.

The Vicious Babushka  May 22, 2019 • 8:56:04am
Dave In Austin  May 22, 2019 • 8:57:07am
Backwoods_Sleuth  May 22, 2019 • 8:57:10am
Backwoods_Sleuth  May 22, 2019 • 8:58:00am

should be good

Backwoods_Sleuth  May 22, 2019 • 8:59:07am
makeitstop  May 22, 2019 • 8:59:53am

kre: #175 Backwoods_Sleuth

His dentures are coming loose again.

Backwoods_Sleuth  May 22, 2019 • 8:59:55am
Backwoods_Sleuth  May 22, 2019 • 9:01:13am
Backwoods_Sleuth  May 22, 2019 • 9:04:57am
The Vicious Babushka  May 22, 2019 • 9:05:32am
Backwoods_Sleuth  May 22, 2019 • 9:06:34am

heh

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  May 22, 2019 • 9:08:21am

Pelosi and Schumer about to hold a presser too

wonder what they’re gonna put on their sign…

Backwoods_Sleuth  May 22, 2019 • 9:08:29am
Shropshire Slasher  May 22, 2019 • 9:08:45am

re: #190 The Vicious Babushka

are they going to get off their asses or Impeach Trump already?

Shit or get off the pot.

Decatur Deb  May 22, 2019 • 9:10:09am

re: #194 Shropshire Slasher

are they going to get off their asses or Impeach Trump already?

Shit or get off the pot.

Patience, Grasshopper.

Backwoods_Sleuth  May 22, 2019 • 9:10:23am
The Vicious Babushka  May 22, 2019 • 9:11:02am
Dr Lizardo  May 22, 2019 • 9:14:47am

Meanwhile, some high drama in (not so) jolly old England:

theguardian.com

Looks lke it’s possible (maybe) that PM May will resign tonight.

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  May 22, 2019 • 9:14:56am

“he could not match the greatness of the challenge”

I would really like to have seen the color that his face turned when he heard that.

what do you get when you mix orange and purple?

NO SMOCKING GUN!  May 22, 2019 • 9:15:42am

Pelosi can’t keep saying that the President is engaged in a cover-up and that they aren’t going to impeach the President. I hope she is engaged in a strategy which creates unstoppable momentum to initiate an impeachment inquiry.

Dr Lizardo  May 22, 2019 • 9:15:54am

re: #199 Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))

“he could not match the greatness of the challenge”

what do you get when you mix orange and purple?

Purplange.

Teukka  May 22, 2019 • 9:18:08am

re: #201 Dr Lizardo

Purplange.

Orgle?

Scottish Dragon  May 22, 2019 • 9:18:25am
Eclectic Cyborg  May 22, 2019 • 9:18:29am

The problem Ezra, is that doing really stupid and counterproductive shit to “Own the Libs” IS a winning strategy with Republican voters.

Heck that crazy speech probably just boosted his approval rating with them by like 5 points.

lawhawk  May 22, 2019 • 9:19:18am

re: #199 Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))

“he could not match the greatness of the challenge”

what do you get when you mix orange and purple?

Shit brown.

Teukka  May 22, 2019 • 9:19:22am

re: #203 Scottish Dragon

My surprise, etc. etc. etc. etc. ///

lawhawk  May 22, 2019 • 9:20:09am

re: #198 Dr Lizardo

Meanwhile, some high drama in (not so) jolly old England:

theguardian.com

Looks lke it’s possible (maybe) that PM May will resign tonight.

The cat is the most qualified to take the reins of power.

Shropshire Slasher  May 22, 2019 • 9:20:21am

re: #200 NO SMOCKING GUN!

It works to get people to keep donating to the Democrat party though.

Scottish Dragon  May 22, 2019 • 9:20:42am

re: #200 NO SMOCKING GUN!

This.

Dr Lizardo  May 22, 2019 • 9:21:50am

re: #207 lawhawk

The cat is the most qualified to take the reins of power.

Larry the Cat couldn’t possibly be any worse than all the other clowns and pompous buffoons angling for 10 Downing Street right now.

Belafon  May 22, 2019 • 9:22:11am

re: #200 NO SMOCKING GUN!

Isn’t cover up a relatively new phrase for her?

Dave In Austin  May 22, 2019 • 9:22:40am

That’s it. That’s what Pelosi is waiting for.
She’s waiting for Dump to defy a court order.
Which he will.

NO SMOCKING GUN!  May 22, 2019 • 9:23:23am

Isn’t cover up a relatively new phrase for her?

Brand new, though she did use the I word recently. These kind of comments are incompatible with not initiating an impeachment inquiry.

The Vicious Babushka  May 22, 2019 • 9:23:59am
Scottish Dragon  May 22, 2019 • 9:25:15am
gocart mozart  May 22, 2019 • 9:25:46am
Dr Lizardo  May 22, 2019 • 9:26:13am

Or….maybe PM May won’t resign tonight.

DangerMan  May 22, 2019 • 9:27:30am

Without comment:

Nancy is brilliant.

Decatur Deb  May 22, 2019 • 9:27:45am

re: #217 Dr Lizardo

Or….maybe PM May won’t resign tonight.

No resignation, just a bit of chagrin perhaps?

makeitstop  May 22, 2019 • 9:27:45am

re: #197 The Vicious Babushka

“For some reason, maybe it was lack of confidence on his part…he just took a pass”

That woman knows exactly how to send it in. He’s probably apoplectic right now.

Backwoods_Sleuth  May 22, 2019 • 9:28:08am

re: #198 Dr Lizardo

Meanwhile, some high drama in (not so) jolly old England:

theguardian.com

Looks lke it’s possible (maybe) that PM May will resign tonight.

sagehen  May 22, 2019 • 9:28:24am

re: #181 The Vicious Babushka

Um… guess he’s forgetting that with the Manafort asset seizures, the Mueller investigation actually turned a profit?

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  May 22, 2019 • 9:28:37am

re: #216 gocart mozart

If men got pregnant, abortions would be livestreamed with skatepunk soundtracks.

“abortion would be a sacrament”

(I forget who is responsible for that quote)

wrenchwench  May 22, 2019 • 9:28:41am

re: #214 The Vicious Babushka

Thank you.

BlueSpotinAL  May 22, 2019 • 9:29:08am

re: #207 lawhawk

The cat is the most qualified to take the reins of power.

Looks like they will settle for Boris Johnson. Less capable than Larry the Cat.

Dr Lizardo  May 22, 2019 • 9:29:26am

re: #219 Decatur Deb

Looks like she’s digging in for a siege.

Decatur Deb  May 22, 2019 • 9:29:27am

re: #218 DangerMan

Without comment:

Nancy is brilliant.

Lady knows her job.

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  May 22, 2019 • 9:29:30am

re: #222 sagehen

He has no idea how to turn a profit over anything…

Eclectic Cyborg  May 22, 2019 • 9:30:10am

re: #212 Dave In Austin

That’s it. That’s what Pelosi is waiting for.
She’s waiting for Dump to defy a court order.
Which he will.

I’m confused. How does she expect to make Trump defy a court order?

Decatur Deb  May 22, 2019 • 9:31:04am

re: #229 Eclectic Cyborg

I’m confused. How does she expect to make Trump defy a court order?

Tell him it will own the Libs.

Backwoods_Sleuth  May 22, 2019 • 9:31:31am

re: #214 The Vicious Babushka

Eclectic Cyborg  May 22, 2019 • 9:31:54am

re: #230 Decatur Deb

Tell him it will own the Libs.

Okay, THAT might work.

:P

gocart mozart  May 22, 2019 • 9:32:35am
Teukka  May 22, 2019 • 9:32:50am

re: #227 Decatur Deb

Lady knows her job.

Something tells me she might be playing this to have the public screaming “Just stick the knife in him and be done with it already!”* when the shoes drop…

*: Figuratively, wingnuts, Figuratively!

Backwoods_Sleuth  May 22, 2019 • 9:33:29am
lawhawk  May 22, 2019 • 9:34:35am
sagehen  May 22, 2019 • 9:34:37am

re: #223 Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))

“abortion would be a sacrament”

(I forget who is responsible for that quote)

Gloria Steinem.

Of course.

Dr Lizardo  May 22, 2019 • 9:34:47am

The madlad! Or rather, madgal in this case. She’s really gonna do it!

She’s going to force the Tories to call in the SAS to drag her out of No. 10. She’s refusing to go anywhere.

DangerMan  May 22, 2019 • 9:35:41am

re: #195 Decatur Deb

Patience, Grasshopper.

See, like, this whole upthread

lawhawk  May 22, 2019 • 9:35:55am

re: #214 The Vicious Babushka

I can’t put my finger on what Trump actively left out of his “impromptu” posting of information about Mueller.

Of course he planned this nonsense. He needs to deflect and what better way than to yank the media around by their collective stones.

Eclectic Cyborg  May 22, 2019 • 9:36:18am

re: #238 Dr Lizardo

The madlad! Or rather, madgal in this case. She’s really gonna do it!

What a shitshow.

Dr Lizardo  May 22, 2019 • 9:36:43am

re: #241 Eclectic Cyborg

What a shitshow.

That’s an understatement.

jaunte  May 22, 2019 • 9:37:26am

re: #236 lawhawk

What do they think is meaningful about these numbers?

Backwoods_Sleuth  May 22, 2019 • 9:37:39am
Dr Lizardo  May 22, 2019 • 9:38:10am
Decatur Deb  May 22, 2019 • 9:39:00am

re: #240 lawhawk

Helen Thomas is gone. They have no graspable stones.

wrenchwench  May 22, 2019 • 9:39:49am

What do they think is meaningful about these numbers?

They’re Arabic. Oh, wait, that’s probably not it.

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  May 22, 2019 • 9:40:40am

What do they think is meaningful about these numbers?

lies, damned lies and statistics

Backwoods_Sleuth  May 22, 2019 • 9:41:03am
DangerMan  May 22, 2019 • 9:41:13am

re: #200 NO SMOCKING GUN!

she likely will until its much closer to an unspinnable slam dunk

- right now a lot of us know it
- a lot refuse to acknowledge it
- most still arent paying attention

and with all that, prove it

jaunte  May 22, 2019 • 9:41:14am

re: #247 wrenchwench

“If lined up in a row, the papers used in the Mueller investigation would reach from Poughkeepsie to Pacoima!”

Backwoods_Sleuth  May 22, 2019 • 9:42:32am
Teukka  May 22, 2019 • 9:43:10am
The Vicious Babushka  May 22, 2019 • 9:43:50am

Here is the page that Trump forgot to hand out

Jay C  May 22, 2019 • 9:45:14am

re: #229 Eclectic Cyborg

I’m confused. How does she expect to make Trump defy a court order?

Well,. Congress (even Nancy SMASH!) can’t MAKE Trump defy a court order: but I’m guessing she is going with the odds that he will simply do so anyway, and dare anybody to come after him for it.

I see it as a reflexive reversion to the standard Trump “business model” - “when in doubt, lawyer up”, and rely on time, paperwork and the inertia of the justice system to eventually make opponents either give up, or settle for pennies-on-the-dollar.

Not sure that’s going to work when he’s POTUS, though.

lawhawk  May 22, 2019 • 9:45:15am

What do they think is meaningful about these numbers?

They’re the biggest numbers… huge… and don’t mean a damn thing without context…

which goes to the indictments, convictions, plea deals, and the clear evidence of obstruction by Trump and his cronies.

It’s all a dodge/deflection. Everyone should be calling Trump out for this nonsense.

Tweets about today’s nonsense should be:

Trump held an “impromptu” presser where he passed out glossy info about Mueller that omitted that Mueller/SDNY indicted 37 individuals/entities including Russians and key Trump officials and Mueller found 10+ instances of obstruction of justice.

DangerMan  May 22, 2019 • 9:45:19am

re: #227 Decatur Deb

Lady knows her job.

Also knows all his buttons

Shropshire Slasher  May 22, 2019 • 9:45:45am

re: #254 The Vicious Babushka

But did you get the t-shirt?!

Shiplord Kirel, Friend of Moose and Squirrel  May 22, 2019 • 9:48:13am

re: #84 Joe Bacon 🌹

en.wikipedia.org

Nick and his too-small gang of co-conspirators were promptly busted and most of them sent to prison, too. Both insiders (lottery officials) and outsiders (local bookmakers) had noticed the unusual betting patterns.

DangerMan  May 22, 2019 • 9:49:00am

re: #240 lawhawk

They clearly planned and organized it
They may have been waiting for a chance to use it and picked this

As if they ever fool us

sagehen  May 22, 2019 • 9:49:07am

re: #233 gocart mozart

Sure, it’s got rights.

That does not include a right to use my internal organs without my consent.

If somebody needs a kidney transplant, or a liver transplant, or a bone marrow transplant, or even just a few pints of blood for a transfusion… the fact that they’ll die without it doesn’t change the fact that it’s entirely my decision whether to donate said parts. Every law, in every jurisdiction in the US, recognizes that. If I want to be selfish about it, the law is totally on my side.

jaunte  May 22, 2019 • 9:49:15am

Shouted question at the end of Trump’s remarks:
“Have you read the full Mueller report?”
Not bloody likely.

jaunte  May 22, 2019 • 9:52:54am

“pseudo impeachment drama”

I think this Schrodinger’s Impeachment situation is really getting to him.

jaunte  May 22, 2019 • 9:56:33am

I think a White House news correspondent should be able to make the distinction.

lawhawk  May 22, 2019 • 9:58:33am
Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  May 22, 2019 • 10:00:10am

some aides close to the President tried to stop him for marching to the Rose Garden his impromptu speech

They knew he was being owned by Nancy, but he is too goddamn self-absorbed to see it

Interesting Times  May 22, 2019 • 10:00:11am

Too true:

jaunte  May 22, 2019 • 10:00:59am
Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  May 22, 2019 • 10:01:20am

re: #267 Interesting Times

See, the problem with the whole “let Trump hoist himself with his own petard” concept is that, for it to work, there has to be someone positioned and willing to hold him accountable.

so you are saying that he has no petard to hoist him?

DangerMan  May 22, 2019 • 10:02:32am

re: #233 gocart mozart

It’s very wrong because it completely negates the premise of the pro-life position. We believe life begins at conception and from the moment of conception, we have a developing human being. Since it’s a human being then it has the human right.

yes it is human
‘being’? maybe
developing certainly
a potentiality, not an actuality

you’re not trying to define when / whether it has human rights or even constitutionally protected rights

if you did, then we could have reasoned and legal arguments over what happens when individual [sic] rights conflict. we have those arguments all the time. your fist/my nose. my pig farm/your residential neighborhood

no, that’s not what you want to do.

you want to instill in the blastocyst/zygote/embryo/fetus etc the superior power to compel another actually existing and born human into subjugation to it, and have it enforced by the state

jaunte  May 22, 2019 • 10:02:42am
Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  May 22, 2019 • 10:03:48am

remember how Clinton refused to do business with Congress when he was being impeached?

Hecuba's daughter  May 22, 2019 • 10:04:00am

“pseudo impeachment drama”

I think this Schrodinger’s Impeachment situation is really getting to him.

re: #130 The Vicious Babushka

JFC

This is why the Wall Street Journal needs to die. Yes — they do excellent reporting but their editorial page has been liar central since I first read it in the 1980’s. I confess that I stopped (except on rare occasions) before Clinton took office because they were always dishonest to the core.

The other day a Bob Cesca podcast recommended that you persuade Trumper relatives to read the WSJ because they would be exposed to facts that might encourage them to start thinking. Unfortunately, they would also be exposed to the opinion pieces which have always been the height of dishonesty. The WSJ had a Greek Orthodox priest attacking Dukakis because his wife was Jewish; they had a woman columnist attacking the Clintons because they had only one child; they published conspiracy theories about the Clintons that would fit right in with Alex Jones.

Maybe, instead of wasting his fortune preaching impeachment, Tom Steyer should purchase the Murdoch media empire and put it to good use.

Interesting Times  May 22, 2019 • 10:04:07am

I don’t know…it seems far too complicated a concept for the bad-faith both-siderists and low-info voters to comprehend.

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  May 22, 2019 • 10:04:17am

re: #272 Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))

or Obama refusing to cooperate with Congress until they stopped holding hearings of Benghazi?

The Vicious Babushka  May 22, 2019 • 10:04:20am

I’ll probably get spammed by anti-choicers but I replied anyway.

lawhawk  May 22, 2019 • 10:04:37am

jaunte  May 22, 2019 • 10:05:00am
Hecuba's daughter  May 22, 2019 • 10:09:58am

re: #267 Interesting Times

Too true:

Melissa McEwan

@Shakestweetz

And, while we wait, Mitch McConnell is busily stacking the courts.

There is no way around this. Even if Trump were convicted, McConnell would be stacking the courts under Pence. The only way to stop that is to throw out the GOP Senate and the GOP President in 2020.

Dr Lizardo  May 22, 2019 • 10:09:59am

So, long story short, Trump came into the meeting, stamped his feet, said “You’re all a bunch of mean ol’ poopyheads!!” and stormed out.

Yep….that’s President Manbaby all the way.

Dr Lizardo  May 22, 2019 • 10:11:34am

Iain Duncan Smith is a prominent Tory politican for those who might be unaware.

Jay C  May 22, 2019 • 10:11:37am

re: #245 Dr Lizardo

Swinford is right about that “killer line” - another referendum might kill the whole Brexit movement dead: since there is no guarantee (from the Leavers’ view) that the public will accept a Brexit deal - especially not PM May’s sorry kludge of a proposal - unless drastically rewritten. And the extremists aren’t willing to risk either another vote (which they are probably likely to lose) or any significant concessions to the already-unsatisfactory bill - and so will probably just ramp up the rhetoric and hysteria.

“Shitshow” is an understatement.

Jay C  May 22, 2019 • 10:15:43am

As he spoke several top aides looked on from the colonnade.

And I wonder how many of them were mentally checking to see if their resumés were up-to-date???

Backwoods_Sleuth  May 22, 2019 • 10:15:43am

Summer Tanager singing its heart out on my front porch.
I’ve never seen one of those here before.

Dr Lizardo  May 22, 2019 • 10:15:49am

Hmm.

Backwoods_Sleuth  May 22, 2019 • 10:17:21am

re: #285 Dr Lizardo

Hmm.

Larry kicked her out

gocart mozart  May 22, 2019 • 10:18:36am
Dr Lizardo  May 22, 2019 • 10:19:02am

Larry kicked her out

Backwoods_Sleuth  May 22, 2019 • 10:19:44am

and he’s ranting

Dr Lizardo  May 22, 2019 • 10:21:59am

Meanwhile, in what I’d describe as one of the funniest headlines I’ve ever seen,

Nigel Farage ‘trapped on Brexit bus due to people armed with milkshakes’

thesun.co.uk

Hecuba's daughter  May 22, 2019 • 10:24:28am

It’s not impeachment per se that terrifies Trump — it’s letting everyone see what’s in his tax returns that is the source of his anxiety. Either that will completely dispel the myth of his billionaire status or it will show him to be a money laundering criminal or that it will prove that he is owned by the Russians or all three. And it’s the first that is most likely.

Backwoods_Sleuth  May 22, 2019 • 10:24:46am

the moron really believes that he nailed that presser

Jay C  May 22, 2019 • 10:25:43am

re: #290 Dr Lizardo

thesun.co.uk

Aaah, the good old Sun: milkshakes in the main column, cheesecake on the sidebar…

Mike Lamb  May 22, 2019 • 10:35:12am

and he’s ranting

Congressional Dems: We can do two things at once—let’s set an infrastructure meeting with POTUS, because we can find common ground there.

Trump: No policy discussions while investigations are ongoing.

Dems: Uh…

Trump: See, they can’t run on two tracks at the same time.

Eclectic Cyborg  May 22, 2019 • 10:36:15am

and he’s ranting

“You can’t investigate and legislate simultaneously - it just doesn’t work that way”

Then how do you explain Obama getting all that shit done while your buddies investigated Benghazi every other week?

DangerMan  May 22, 2019 • 10:42:22am

re: #287 gocart mozart

Trump’s governing style reminds me of this, for some reason

cute that you think he’s got an actual governing style //

DangerMan  May 22, 2019 • 10:42:53am

and he’s ranting

well he said he wasn’t gonna do any work….

Jealous of the Birds - ‘Blue Eyes’ (Live at WFUV)wfuv.org • Follow @wfuv: ow.ly Jealous of the Birds performs "Blue Eyes" live in Studio A. Recorded 5/13/19. Host: Russ BorrisAudio: Jim O'HaraCameras: Brian Gallagher, Nora Doyle, Jeffrey Pelayo, and Thomas KoenigEditor: Jim O'Hara
Bruce Springsteen - Sleepy Joe’s Café (Lyrics)"Sleepy Joe's Café" track five on Springsteen's nineteenth studio album Western Stars
Regina Spektor - ‘Blue Lips’ (Live at WFUV)wfuv.org • Follow @wfuv: ow.ly Regina Spektor performs "Blue Lips" live in Studio A. Recorded 5/22/19. Host: Alisa AliAudio: Jim O'HaraCameras: Kay Kurkierwicz and Thomas KoenigEditor: Thomas Koenig
Outta My Head — Pomplamoose / Khalid Come see Nataly preform with Inara at Largo on June 18: bit.ly Save this song on Spotify: spoti.fiBecome a patron of our music (to vote on the songs we cover and get merch and stuff like that): patreon.com A ...
The Raconteurs - ‘Bored and Razed’ (Lyric Video) Lyric video for The Raconteurs “Bored and Razed" from their forthcoming album HELP US STRANGER – out June 21st. Listen to "Bored and Razed" here: theraconteurs.lnk.to Pre-order & pre-save the upcoming album HELP US STRANGER here: theraconteurs.lnk.to HELP US ...
SERGIO MENDES & BRASIL’66 - the LOOK of LOVEComposed by Burt Bacharach and Hal David and sung by Dusty Springfield, which appeared in the 1967 James Bond film Casino Royale.
Jeremy HuntWhen his name was mispronounced live on the BBC one morning we all had a good giggle, that first time, and then it takes a while to become funny again but we have done it: metro.co.uk
Dom
1 week ago
Los Coast - ‘The Morning Weight’ [Live]The new album Samsara is available June 14: geni.us
Suppressing the Press in Australia Dept: Police Launch Second Raid on the Media in 24 Hours The ABC's headquarters in Ultimo have been raided by federal police, with the broadcaster's manager describing it as a "worry" for press freedom. It's the second federal police raid on journalists in 24 hours, officers spending seven hours yesterday ...
An Ode to the ColonAnd paean sounded too renal-ish. Ok, maybe more homage. We take our bodies for granted - oh yes we do. All of us. All the things they do and are supposed to do. All the systems and subsystems, pieces, parts, ...
DangerMan