HQ Video: The Who, “Won’t Get Fooled Again” (Shepperton Studios / 1978)

Music • Views: 23,057

YouTube

The scene at 7:54 absolutely blew me away when I first saw it. That, my fellow guitar players, is commitment.

The Who’s iconic anthem from 1971’s Who’s Next album performed here on B-Stage at Shepperton Studios on 25 May 1978 Filmed by Jeff Stein for the closing sequence of The Kids Are Alright. Sadly this was to be the very last performance ever by Keith Moon.

‘All This Music Must Fade’ from The Who’s new studio album WHO, released on 6 December 2019.
PRE-ORDER THE ALBUM NOW thewho.lnk.to

instagram.com
facebook.com
@TheWho

#TheWho #WontGetFooledAgain #Live

Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus  Nov 3, 2019 • 5:45:06pm

“Won’t Get Fooled Again” certainly is not a phrase that the remnant Trumpers can utter.

gwangung  Nov 3, 2019 • 5:46:50pm

re: #1 Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus

Though I will say it was a favorite anthem of my college undergrad days (as well as the college band’s….)

Skip Intro  Nov 3, 2019 • 5:47:43pm

Worst prediction in the late 20th century.

Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus  Nov 3, 2019 • 5:48:07pm
The Pie Overlord!  Nov 3, 2019 • 5:49:23pm

CL’d.
I am in NY now. The Delta Terminal at LGA sucks.

Backwoods_Sleuth  Nov 3, 2019 • 5:51:37pm
Shiplord Kirel, Friend of Moose and Squirrel  Nov 3, 2019 • 5:52:53pm

I am a whole week younger than Harry, so this really gets me too.

goddamnedfrank  Nov 3, 2019 • 5:55:53pm
Pawn of the Oppressor  Nov 3, 2019 • 5:58:37pm

Holy crap, it’s the Vortex from The Final Countdown!

(That part of the movie legitimately scared me as a kid)

Belafon  Nov 3, 2019 • 5:59:44pm

I’ll play: What’s wrong with BG’s tweet?

There were some blacks in 2016 who couldn’t vote for Clinton because she was a woman. I was confused.

jaunte  Nov 3, 2019 • 6:01:09pm
Eclectic Cyborg  Nov 3, 2019 • 6:04:27pm

I’ll play: What’s wrong with BG’s tweet?

Apparently the frustration is Boy George amplifying the notion that black people are homophobic. At least that is what I gleaned from the tweet replies.

William Lewis  Nov 3, 2019 • 6:04:55pm

Ah, sweet lord, thank you for posting this Charles. There were other bands but it was The Who that got me through the hell that was high school. I wore out 3 copies of “Who’s Next” and wept for joy when Facedances dropped because they hadn’t quit in the face of their tragedies. Memories…

Barefoot Grin  Nov 3, 2019 • 6:07:56pm

re: #7 Shiplord Kirel, Friend of Moose and Squirrel

I am a whole week younger than Harry, so this really gets me too.

Or, holy shit, she’s only seven years younger than my mom—I had never thought of it that way.

Belafon  Nov 3, 2019 • 6:09:20pm

re: #12 Eclectic Cyborg

OK. I didn’t read it that way, but I generally don’t read most tweets as applying to everyone.

Backwoods_Sleuth  Nov 3, 2019 • 6:09:23pm

I’ll play: What’s wrong with BG’s tweet?

whitesplaining

Joe Bacon 🌹  Nov 3, 2019 • 6:10:25pm

The very first time I heard Won’t Get Fooled Again was Election Night 1972. I shut off my TV after CBS declared Nixon the winner and turned on the radio. That was the first I heard it and it fit my mood.

goddamnedfrank  Nov 3, 2019 • 6:11:35pm
goddamnedfrank  Nov 3, 2019 • 6:13:10pm

re: #18 goddamnedfrank

Inspired by:

goddamnedfrank  Nov 3, 2019 • 6:19:55pm
gocart mozart  Nov 3, 2019 • 6:24:08pm
Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus  Nov 3, 2019 • 6:28:11pm
DodgerFan1988  Nov 3, 2019 • 6:29:26pm

Mr. Virtues

ckkatz  Nov 3, 2019 • 6:30:00pm

I’ll play: What’s wrong with BG’s tweet?

I believe that there was an interview today with Congressman Jame Clyburn of SC. During the discussion on Buttgieg, he was asked and noted that there is a generational divide in the Afro-American community where a large portion of older Afro-Americans are anti-gay while the younger generation is much more accepting.

gwangung  Nov 3, 2019 • 6:31:19pm

re: #24 ckkatz

And not the fact of the rather rocky relationship he was with the black community in South Bend?

ckkatz  Nov 3, 2019 • 6:33:47pm

re: #25 gwangung

That topic may have been in the interview. But it was not the part that the networks have excerpted and replayed over and over again.

danarchy  Nov 3, 2019 • 6:33:57pm

re: #23 DodgerFan1988

Mr. Virtues

I agree sort of on the first part. Foreign policy is basically about quid pro quo. But that quid pro quo has to be for the benefit of the country or to further policy, not to benefit your campaign.

gwangung  Nov 3, 2019 • 6:34:31pm

re: #26 ckkatz

Hmmm…I…see…..

ckkatz  Nov 3, 2019 • 6:36:21pm

re: #27 danarchy

Exactly! The issue is extortion for personal gain. The quid pro quo part is an attempt at distraction.

jaunte  Nov 3, 2019 • 6:37:20pm

re: #23 DodgerFan1988

Bennett: “This quid pro quo, if it actually was completed, which it wasn’t, was a good thing.”

That’s an odd thing to insert, if it was a “good” quid pro quo.

Barefoot Grin  Nov 3, 2019 • 6:37:26pm

The more I think about it the more I see Gordon Sondland in his role as EU ambassador as like that rich guy who got to pay to play as Deputy Sheriff and ended up actually shooting a guy to death while doing cosplay. Can’t remember, but I think it was in Kansas or Oklahoma.

goddamnedfrank  Nov 3, 2019 • 6:37:48pm

Now it all makes sense.

ckkatz  Nov 3, 2019 • 6:39:19pm

re: #28 gwangung

Hmmm…I…see…..

As did we all. Because it was replayed multiple times. :)

Pawn of the Oppressor  Nov 3, 2019 • 6:41:55pm

re: #32 goddamnedfrank

Now it all makes sense.

Not the slightest surprise, since Kushie swapped Bone Saw intel in exchange for loans. But still… Sheeeeeeeiiiiiiiit.

Please, whatever gods are listening, let that little creep be brought low. He’s Piggy’s “legacy manager” and if he goes down, that’s a huge blow to the Trump Crime Empire.

danarchy  Nov 3, 2019 • 6:44:36pm

re: #32 goddamnedfrank

Now it all makes sense.

I’m gonna wait for another source on this one, the gossip column of the spectator while entertaining probably isn’t super reliable.

Dave In Austin  Nov 3, 2019 • 6:47:44pm
teleskiguy  Nov 3, 2019 • 6:49:05pm

This is Republicans trying to justify Fuckface Von Clownstick’s super duper perfect call with Ukraine.

Giphy

ckkatz  Nov 3, 2019 • 6:50:48pm

re: #31 Barefoot Grin

Yup, 74 year old Reserve Sheriff’s Deputy from Tulsa County, Oklahoma.

cnn.com

sizzzzlerz  Nov 3, 2019 • 6:52:18pm

re: #21 gocart mozart

Wanker cat! You had one job to do!

ckkatz  Nov 3, 2019 • 6:53:33pm

re: #32 goddamnedfrank

Now it all makes sense.

Worse, whether or not it’s true, it’s completely plausible. And, likely not the only such case.

Belafon  Nov 3, 2019 • 6:56:28pm

re: #36 Dave In Austin

Just one question: Where would you rank the Spectator on the reliability scale?

Dave In Austin  Nov 3, 2019 • 6:58:00pm

Not that familiar with it. Seems I’ve read this rumbling for a couple of days now.

Dave In Austin  Nov 3, 2019 • 7:01:18pm

re: #42 Dave In Austin

It’s a UK publication that looks to have been around for a while

DangerMan (misuser of the sarc tag)  Nov 3, 2019 • 7:03:47pm

re: #23 DodgerFan1988

Mr. Virtues

it was for trumps personal benefit, so no.
also not just a qpq, actual extortion

oh and bribery which is right there prohibited in the constitution

DangerMan (misuser of the sarc tag)  Nov 3, 2019 • 7:06:01pm

re: #23 DodgerFan1988

Mr. Virtues

ps conspiracy doesn’t have to be “completed”

these boys are so screwed

DangerMan (misuser of the sarc tag)  Nov 3, 2019 • 7:08:21pm

re: #32 goddamnedfrank

Now it all makes sense.

forget investigating we got Mueller
forget Mueller we got Ukraine
forget Ukraine we got kushnergate

teleskiguy  Nov 3, 2019 • 7:12:21pm

Going Down (Remastered)

DangerMan (misuser of the sarc tag)  Nov 3, 2019 • 7:13:06pm

we had quite a weekend in #thegreatpoolpondconversion

updates tomorrow..hopefully

Dave In Austin  Nov 3, 2019 • 7:16:33pm

Dread Pirate  Nov 3, 2019 • 7:23:05pm
makeitstop  Nov 3, 2019 • 7:23:13pm

I’ve only ever seen Spectator USA (and PoliticusUSA) in the past couple of days.

I get a weird feeling when a news source comes out of nowhere like that.

Joe Bacon 🌹  Nov 3, 2019 • 7:25:06pm

No. No. No. No. No.

This canNOT be real!

goddamnedfrank  Nov 3, 2019 • 7:27:02pm

re: #49 Dave In Austin

William Lewis  Nov 3, 2019 • 7:29:30pm

re: #52 Joe Bacon 🌹

No. No. No. No. No.

This canNOT be real!

look down in the lower right of the supposed product. $5 says the creator of that ‘shop will be related to that name. Deviant Art or one of the Chans.

Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus  Nov 3, 2019 • 7:41:50pm

Seems the Saudis are trying to play hardball with one of Trump’s biggest supporters (McMahon):

Belafon  Nov 3, 2019 • 7:42:54pm

re: #50 Dread Pirate

goddamnedfrank  Nov 3, 2019 • 7:44:28pm

One other thing, MBS tortured most of his extended family members into tithing and pledging loyalty to him, in a country that runs entirely on corrupt family nepotism.

Given that he governs out of abject fear instead of earned loyalty there’s every reason to think that his intelligence service would leak like a sieve.

Dr Lizardo  Nov 3, 2019 • 7:46:51pm

re: #52 Joe Bacon 🌹

It’s real. But it’s sold out right now.

skullclown.com

The person who makes it is a sculptor/artist from Seattle.

Amory Blaine  Nov 3, 2019 • 7:46:54pm

Joe Bacon 🌹  Nov 3, 2019 • 7:49:38pm

re: #58 Dr Lizardo

It’s real. But it’s sold out right now.

skullclown.com

The person who makes it is a sculptor/artist from Seattle.

SMDH…

Dr Lizardo  Nov 3, 2019 • 7:53:09pm

re: #60 Joe Bacon 🌹

SMDH…

I’m pretty sure it’d meant as a dark-humored joke. I used to live in the Pacific NW and plenty of people up there have a decidedly off-beat sense of humor.

FormerDirtDart 🍕🐀  Nov 3, 2019 • 7:54:13pm
goddamnedfrank  Nov 3, 2019 • 7:56:44pm

Jesus, this is one insane goddamned racist meltdown by Richard Spencer. Like, I’m going to tell you it’s worse than you can imagine and you’re going to take that info and go in thinking that you now have some idea about how bad it’s going to be, and you’re still going to be like “Whoa, I’m impressed by how much worse that was than I imagined!”

*** NOT SAFE FOR FUCKING WORK!!! ***

Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus  Nov 3, 2019 • 7:57:30pm
DodgerFan1988  Nov 3, 2019 • 7:59:22pm

re: #63 goddamnedfrank

*** NOT SAFE FOR FUCKING WORK!!! ***

goddamnedfrank  Nov 3, 2019 • 8:02:16pm

LOL

teleskiguy  Nov 3, 2019 • 8:02:21pm

re: #63 goddamnedfrank

Milo Yiannopoulos leaked it. The alt-right is all like

Funny how these fuckers sabotaging each other is nicely coinciding with Fuckface Von Clownstick’s ongoing demented meltdown.

mmmirele  Nov 3, 2019 • 8:02:50pm

re: #7 Shiplord Kirel, Friend of Moose and Squirrel

I am a whole week younger than Harry, so this really gets me too.

My mother turns 80 in two months and the idea of mom being the same age as Grace Slick kind of blows my mind. OTOH, she used to tell us kids that when the BART was built, she was going to be a hippie in San Francisco. We moved from Concord to Houston before that happened. The South in 1973 (and don’t be fooled, Houston was very much the South) was a serious culture shock to kids raised in California.

Joe Bacon 🌹  Nov 3, 2019 • 8:06:25pm

re: #66 goddamnedfrank

LOL

There is NOTHING Milo can do to redeem itself.

Joe Bacon 🌹  Nov 3, 2019 • 8:10:11pm

Meanwhile here’s another MAGAT Idiot proving that his elevator won’t go up all the way!

goddamnedfrank  Nov 3, 2019 • 8:10:36pm

re: #69 Joe Bacon 🌹

There is NOTHING Milo can do to redeem itself.

No, but that audio is a fucking Red Flag Notice just waiting to be filed. Spencer isn’t just unhinged, dude has negative hinges.

Ace-o-aces  Nov 3, 2019 • 8:10:55pm

re: #69 Joe Bacon 🌹

Belafon  Nov 3, 2019 • 8:14:23pm

re: #64 Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus

Just because DNA is read like code by other molecules to produce output doesn’t mean there’s someone that started the whole thing off.

Ace-o-aces  Nov 3, 2019 • 8:15:38pm
HappyWarrior  Nov 3, 2019 • 8:16:33pm

re: #63 goddamnedfrank

*** NOT SAFE FOR FUCKING WORK!!! ***

JFC

Patricia Kayden  Nov 3, 2019 • 8:18:20pm

re: #24 ckkatz

Isn’t that the same for White Americans? It’s odd that the majority of White American voters support Republicans and most Republicans are anti-LGBT and yet Black Americans are painted as anti-LGBT even though most of them vote for Democrats.

Joe Bacon 🌹  Nov 3, 2019 • 8:21:58pm

re: #66 goddamnedfrank

Rod Serling warned us in 1963…

Twilight Zone end monologue from He’s Alive

HappyWarrior  Nov 3, 2019 • 8:22:32pm

re: #70 Joe Bacon 🌹

Hopefully he gets a nice visit from the feds. And yeah he’s fucking dumb but he’s a Trumpster so go figure.

HappyWarrior  Nov 3, 2019 • 8:24:24pm

The press who normalized Spencer should feel really stupid now. Also someone should tell Dick that when his ancestors were barbarians, those who feels are his inferior were creating civilization.

Patricia Kayden  Nov 3, 2019 • 8:25:05pm

Joe Bacon 🌹  Nov 3, 2019 • 8:25:28pm

re: #79 HappyWarrior

Trump will still say that Nazis are good people.

Belafon  Nov 3, 2019 • 8:26:59pm

re: #76 Patricia Kayden

I once had an argument with my mom about the things black have to deal with. I attempted to appeal to the things she had experienced. She’s old enough to know that women couldn’t get loans without their husband’s signatures, that abortion was illegal, and to have seen discrimination in the work place. And yet I could not get her to use that experience to understand what blacks have gone through.

I think Boy George was thinking the same thing. Gays have been threatened, killed, and denied rights that others have gotten. I suspect he’s wondering why the blacks who are having trouble with someone like Pete, having experienced what they have, would not translate that to understanding gays. But the tweet didn’t read to me like an attack, just a disappointment.

Belafon  Nov 3, 2019 • 8:28:40pm

OTOH, I can see lots of blacks being wary of Pete’s record as mayor.

ckkatz  Nov 3, 2019 • 8:28:49pm

re: #76 Patricia Kayden

Yup. Quite a lot packed into such a short little clip, isn’t there.

HappyWarrior  Nov 3, 2019 • 8:29:29pm

re: #81 Joe Bacon 🌹

Trump will still say that Nazis are good people.

Yeah of course he will.

HappyWarrior  Nov 3, 2019 • 8:30:39pm

OTOH, I can see lots of blacks being wary of Pete’s record as mayor.

That’s why I was disappointed he emerged ahead of Beto. And I think that’s why Pete has legitimate problems in the AA community. It’s not that he’s gay.

Belafon  Nov 3, 2019 • 8:36:00pm

re: #86 HappyWarrior

And that can also be a misreading on Boy George’s part. White’s are also mostly divided on gay issues by age. It wouldn’t be very hard for opposition to Pete’s policies to be translated into opposing who Pete is (white people do this all the time, even though they like to accuse others of it).

goddamnedfrank  Nov 3, 2019 • 8:36:26pm

re: #76 Patricia Kayden

Ace-o-aces  Nov 3, 2019 • 8:37:16pm

A possible explanation for why Milo turned on Spencer:

HappyWarrior  Nov 3, 2019 • 8:38:50pm

I think George is probably unaware of that being an issue. I have no idea how closely he follows our politics. I think what also frustrates a lot of people about Pete myself included is how he doesn’t seen interested in holding accountable the bigoted attitudes that make Trumpism possible.

HappyWarrior  Nov 3, 2019 • 8:39:35pm

re: #89 Ace-o-aces

A possible explanation for why Milo turned on Spencer:

Rat bastard turns on another one. Milo is still awful.

HappyWarrior  Nov 3, 2019 • 8:41:30pm

re: #88 goddamnedfrank

It’s really awful for Pete’s campaign to be leaking these focus group reports blaming anti-gay prejudice when he goes out of his way to shit all over “identity politics” and appeal to the mythical left behind white working class. Honestly it feels DARVO as fuck.

It really is. I have no problem with him being open about his sexuality and religion but I hate how he dismisses so called identity politics like what I dislike with Sanders too.

goddamnedfrank  Nov 3, 2019 • 8:43:21pm

re: #89 Ace-o-aces

A possible explanation for why Milo turned on Spencer:

I think more to the point Milo is a nihilistic dilettante. He doesn’t have any core ideology or true allies. All he cares about is attention and the grift. He burned Spencer because in his view Spencer was no longer useful to him.

William Lewis  Nov 3, 2019 • 8:44:35pm

re: #93 HappyWarrior

Honestly, all that together is why I like him better as VP than as Presidential candidate. He isn’t perfect but he is the kind of guy to go to and attack the evangelicals on their home turf and get a tiny few to change but more important get more to stay home because he can cause even that much doubt.

Joe Bacon 🌹  Nov 3, 2019 • 8:45:25pm

re: #94 goddamnedfrank

Milo has always been a narcissistic attention whore. He deserves to be deported and banned from the US for the rest of his rotten life.

HappyWarrior  Nov 3, 2019 • 8:45:35pm

re: #95 William Lewis

I do like that about him. I just he would realize why the double standard rubs people wrong.

HappyWarrior  Nov 3, 2019 • 8:46:25pm

Milo saw a grift and knew it would work for him.

Joe Bacon 🌹  Nov 3, 2019 • 8:46:50pm

re: #93 HappyWarrior

Pete comes off as a 21st Century version of William Jennings Bryan and he has all of Bryan’s faults.

Belafon  Nov 3, 2019 • 8:48:33pm

We were looking at Google Street View over the weekend and noticed they did an update for our street, and caught my son walking the dogs. My son thinks this was from back in May. The funny thing is that they blurred the faces of my son and the darker brown dog, but not the lighter brown one:

Going for a walk.
HappyWarrior  Nov 3, 2019 • 8:49:07pm

re: #99 Joe Bacon 🌹

TBH I’m not seeing the similarities aside from religious, young, & inexperienced.

Joe Bacon 🌹  Nov 3, 2019 • 8:50:40pm

re: #101 HappyWarrior

You hit all three points!

HappyWarrior  Nov 3, 2019 • 8:54:27pm

re: #102 Joe Bacon 🌹

You hit all three points!

Imo WJB’s biggest faults were fansticism along with ugly racism and anti intellectualism. I don’t see Pete as a fanatic. And while Pete’s racial rhetoric bothers me, I can’t liken it to a guy who fought for a plank to defend the KKK and Pete isn’t anti intellectual either. I’d liken Pete more to a Tim Ryan type who thinks being safely moderate is how you win back white working class voters. Just realized now you said faults rather than worst faults. I really don’t mind that Pete is religious tbh. I think Republicans do need to hear that Democratic Christians exist.

Belafon  Nov 3, 2019 • 8:55:08pm

Just a note: I dropped my Galaxy S9 with a pixel case at the top of our stairs. I bounced down on edge and came to a stop at the back door and is totally fine.

Phones have gotten really rugged over the past ten years.

HappyWarrior  Nov 3, 2019 • 8:58:10pm

Well night all.

Dread Pirate  Nov 3, 2019 • 9:01:23pm
gwangung  Nov 3, 2019 • 9:05:14pm

re: #103 HappyWarrior

Pete is a creature formed by a racist society, like we all are, but he doesn’t quite have the self awareness of how much it’s shaped his values and where its influence should be shaken off.

That limits his appeal to me as a national leader.

Belafon  Nov 3, 2019 • 9:18:18pm

Things I’m learning to say on Duolingo:

TBogg would like it.

Joe Bacon 🌹  Nov 3, 2019 • 9:27:37pm

Hobby Lobby???????

Belafon  Nov 3, 2019 • 9:29:31pm

re: #109 Joe Bacon 🌹

Definitely not laid out like one. That’s a small shop.

The Ghost of a Flea  Nov 3, 2019 • 10:06:20pm

So Spencer losing his shit is basically just saying aloud the quiet, in-the-clubhouse talk.

He’s the REAL special one, and if everyone that doesn’t see it deserves to be hurt.

I keep saying it: there’s not a molecule of depth to these fuckers. They are less than meets the eye.

Applies to all of the Trumpies, regardless of (purported) ideological flavor. There’s no interior to their faith, their ethics, their community.

goddamnedfrank  Nov 3, 2019 • 10:12:23pm

re: #107 gwangung

That limits his appeal to me as a national leader.

I don’t know. I think he probably does have the self-awareness, just because he seems that broadly intelligent, and that’s honestly the most damning thing to me. My theory is he’s just suppressing it in some kind of moral compromise he’s sold himself on, that given his real goal going in was probably running for Governor of Indiana that he could accomplish the “greatest good” by politically advancing himself this way. Then he had more success than anyone foresaw going in and his initial strategy dovetailed nicely into the structural racism built into the Primary calendar, where several disproportionately white States are front-loaded.

goddamnedfrank  Nov 3, 2019 • 10:28:14pm

The responses are glorious.

The Ghost of a Flea  Nov 3, 2019 • 10:29:28pm

And just to lay it out there:

Someone can be utterly pathetic and still be a real threat.

Like, Richard Spencer is such a loser that he needs people to be degraded and die to feel good, and is willing to put time, energy, and the building of a suave facade into working towards that end.

The Ghost of a Flea  Nov 3, 2019 • 10:32:02pm

And the contents of posts 111 and 114 explain why all these fuckers end up committing, or making excuses for committing, domestic violence.

DodgerFan1988  Nov 3, 2019 • 11:40:51pm
Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Nov 4, 2019 • 12:10:46am

I’ll play: What’s wrong with BG’s tweet?

guess what, there are blacks out there who are homophobic, misogynistic and even racist. people come in all colors and varieties…assuming that if a person is black then they must have a particular political viewpoint is, well, downright racist

Dread Pirate  Nov 4, 2019 • 12:42:34am

We can add witness intimidation and jury tampering to the articles of impeachment.

goddamnedfrank  Nov 4, 2019 • 12:44:41am

re: #117 Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))

Older black people may or may not be disproportionately socially conservative vs the average Democratic primary voter, I really don’t know and really don’t care. And the reason I don’t care is because the biggest obstacle to progress hands down is white people, and mostly uneducated white men. The exact same demographic whose petty grievances and revanchist bullshit Mayor Pete centers his entire political career around legitimizing.

Patricia Kayden  Nov 4, 2019 • 12:58:09am

re: #116 DodgerFan1988

Outrageous.

Patricia Kayden  Nov 4, 2019 • 1:04:59am

re: #35 danarchy

Yeah, looks like a rightwing rag.

Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus  Nov 4, 2019 • 1:37:07am

Seems influenced by the ST:D opening, mixed in with GoT opener:

His Dark Materials title sequence - BBC

Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus  Nov 4, 2019 • 1:37:41am
Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Nov 4, 2019 • 1:45:04am

re: #122 Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus

Seems influenced by the ST:D opening, mixed in with GoT opener:

I recall that The Golden Compass rightly flopped as a film, I think the fantasy market was kind of saturated at the time and the Culture Wars were at their height: GC was targeted (not incorrectly) as being very anti-religious.

Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus  Nov 4, 2019 • 2:49:44am
Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Nov 4, 2019 • 2:55:20am
Decatur Deb  Nov 4, 2019 • 3:11:10am

I know what time it is—it’s coffee time.

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Nov 4, 2019 • 3:12:24am

re: #127 Decatur Deb

I know what time it is—it’s coffee time.

third cup and I am still struggling

Decatur Deb  Nov 4, 2019 • 3:16:18am

Was supposed to review our voter registration strategy over the weekend and send it to our team. Here I am, like cramming for a Latin sequence of tenses quiz in the exam hallway.

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Nov 4, 2019 • 3:40:40am
steve_davis  Nov 4, 2019 • 3:56:58am

re: #7 Shiplord Kirel, Friend of Moose and Squirrel

I am a whole week younger than Harry, so this really gets me too.

I shudder to think how old John Mayall is. Pretty sure he was already in his late 30’s by the time the Bluesbreakers started up.

Alephnaught  Nov 4, 2019 • 4:00:05am

re: #113 goddamnedfrank

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Nov 4, 2019 • 4:00:54am

re: #131 steve_davis

Born 1933

Under a Bad Sign

Decatur Deb  Nov 4, 2019 • 4:04:39am

re: #130 Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))

Father Gerard would have made a fine centurion.

steve_davis  Nov 4, 2019 • 4:12:56am

re: #64 Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus

that’s called the fallacy of equivocation. “You said nothing is better than heaven, and yet a bread crumb is better than nothing; therfore…..”

Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus  Nov 4, 2019 • 4:29:54am

Tropical cyclone Maha has looked menacing for days, but
spent those days drifting very slowly in the NW Indian ocean:

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Nov 4, 2019 • 4:39:19am

re: #135 steve_davis

Heaven is a place reputed to be slightly better than West Virginia…

jeffreyw  Nov 4, 2019 • 4:42:39am

Good morning!

Targetpractice  Nov 4, 2019 • 4:42:48am

re: #116 DodgerFan1988

I remember when it was a BFD to the media that House Republicans voted to hold Holder in contempt for refusing to turn documents concerning ongoing investigations over Issa during the “Fast & Furious” stink.

Now? Now they yawn that several WH officials have been held in contempt and more may be on the way.

lawhawk  Nov 4, 2019 • 5:05:39am

re: #5 The Pie Overlord!

Who has developed and built more, bigger, better, and more significant structures than Trump?

Larry Silverstein - 7 WTC
Related Properties - Hudson Yards - 2 million sf of office and hotel and commercial space.
Delancey Street Associates - Essex Crossing - another 2 million sf of residential and commercial space.

Trump? Trump hasn’t built a significant skyscraper in NYC in years, and none of his buildings are architecturally significant in the slightest.

Junior has to go back to Wollman Rink to justify anything? It was reopened by Trump in 1986. That’s 33 years ago. Trump tower was built 36 years ago.

Every new skyscraper on billionaires row is built by someone other than Trump. Trump can’t get any name architects to do his projects, and none of his projects are anywhere near the scope or significance. Not a one.

He now spends more time slapping his name on buildings built by others as a branding thing than actually building a structure from scratch.

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Nov 4, 2019 • 5:07:15am

I almost hope that someone else finishes building The Wall just so that Trump does not get his name on it…

well, not really.

lawhawk  Nov 4, 2019 • 5:15:57am

re: #141 Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))

Trump’s wall is already going exactly as one would expect.

The folks are able to scale the new and improved wall with relative ease.
They are able to cut through the wall with relative ease; and the repairs to the sections already breached can’t fix the concrete cores that were sliced out.

It’s a total waste of time and energy, but it’s about the value signaling - the GOP and right wing extremists are pandering to the white nationalists who are concerned about the “purity” of the nation - and nonwhites aren’t welcome.

Decatur Deb  Nov 4, 2019 • 5:18:59am

re: #141 Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))

well, not really.

A couple surviving miles of “Trump’s Folly” would make a nice memorial to the Republican Party.

DangerMan (misuser of the sarc tag)  Nov 4, 2019 • 5:32:08am

This narrative that people in the admin Ave to treat trump like a baby otherwise…

15 minute Twitter delay
Pictures not words
Short meetings

And now a real serious possibility/consideration that his team lies to him lest…

All of these numbers are “fake,” and he has the “real polls” that make clear that the American people are still behind him. He refused to say more about the nature of these “real polls.”

There would appear to be two possibilities here. The first is that Trump is just lying through his teeth for the benefit of himself and the base. That’s not out of character for him, of course, he’s been creating alternate realities since the day he was inaugurated (see inauguration photos, Obama’s vs. Trump’s). The second is that Trump’s people are feeding him favorable polls in order to keep him pacified. If so, that is a dangerous game to play. We all know how Trump responds when he’s angry or cornered. If he becomes invested in one version of the impeachment narrative, and then all of a sudden is confronted with irrefutable evidence that narrative is false, his response could be…really, really bad. (Z)

Ladies and gentlemen the president of the United States

From electoral-vote.com

plansbandc  Nov 4, 2019 • 5:41:39am

No expert here, but apparently his relationship with black people in Indiana is strained to say the least. He hasn’t dealt well with police corruption and they are NOT happy with him. They figure if he’s so bad at dealing with things in his state, then how is he qualified to deal on a national level.

Black twitter is PISSED that people say the black voting block won’t vote for edge edge because he’s gay. They don’t want to vote for him because he doesn’t have their backs.

So a tweet from a international figure who really doesn’t know what’s going on really pissed people off.

HappyWarrior  Nov 4, 2019 • 5:47:07am

re: #145 plansbandc

So a tweet from a national figure who really doesn’t know what’s going on really pissed people off.

I’ve read the same things. And TBH I really think there’s a lot of frustration with that mayor of a city of 100000 people is seriously seen as qualified and yes I know about Trump but these are concerns from people in our base and I share them. I think Pete could have a role in the executive branch but I don’t think he’s ready to be president or vp.

I Would Prefer Not To  Nov 4, 2019 • 5:55:58am

Long article, but interesting. Another example of a tech company that has a good service, but doesn’t want to fix the obvious problems with some of its users.

I Accidentally Uncovered a Nationwide Scam on Airbnb From Vice

HappyWarrior  Nov 4, 2019 • 5:58:29am

re: #147 I Would Prefer Not To

I Accidentally Uncovered a Nationwide Scam on Airbnb From Vice

That’s the problem with a lot of these new tech companies. Great ideas on paper but the people in charge don’t want to fix the problems.

FFL (GOP Delenda Est)  Nov 4, 2019 • 6:15:00am

re: #117 Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))

That got driven home to me years ago when a black door-to-door 7th Day Adventist guy told me that the Jews were gonna get theirs.

I have a quote file around somewhere as well that includes “Like many cheap items, idiots come in a vast array of sizes and colors.”

FFL (GOP Delenda Est)  Nov 4, 2019 • 6:16:58am

re: #138 jeffreyw

Good morning!

Temporary night manager while the regular one is chasing small rodents?

DangerMan (misuser of the sarc tag)  Nov 4, 2019 • 6:20:36am

apologies if already posted

i think tom nichols nails it. disagree with his politics, he is spot on in his disdain for what Republicans and Trump are doing to destroy our democracy

…This should be, in any sane country, a bipartisan moment. The President is now committing multiple impeachable offenses every day by demanding laws be broken at his command. Republicans - especially - should have cut Trump loose long ago as a matter of duty

the unroll

The Pie Overlord!  Nov 4, 2019 • 6:23:12am

re: #66 goddamnedfrank

LOL

When Richard Spencer screams like a little bitch, he sounds just like Ben Shapiro.

Dave In Austin  Nov 4, 2019 • 6:27:38am

2028…….. Saying we can clean this mess up to some degree.

Do you think Michele Obama would be a viable candidate? And if so, would you support her.

Please discuss.

jeffreyw  Nov 4, 2019 • 6:29:33am

re: #150 Feline Fearless Leader

Temporary night manager while the regular one is chasing small rodents?

shhhh… he’s meditating

HappyWarrior  Nov 4, 2019 • 6:30:05am

re: #153 Dave In Austin

2028…….. Saying we can clean this mess up to some degree.

Please discuss.

I really would prefer she get elected experience but I wouldn’t complain. She’s intelligent, likable, etc.

Belafon  Nov 4, 2019 • 6:30:59am

re: #117 Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))

It’s not racist to think that it’s sad a part of a group doesn’t support something you think they might understand. It’s not racist to think it’s sad that poor whites are voting against their own livelihoods in order to maintain a racist system.

Jay C  Nov 4, 2019 • 6:34:40am

re: #151 DangerMan (misuser of the sarc tag)

I think Tom Nichols nails it. disagree with his politics, he is spot on in his disdain for what Republicans and Trump are doing to destroy our democracy

...This should be, in any sane country, a bipartisan moment. The President is now committing multiple impeachable offenses every day by demanding laws be broken at his command. Republicans - especially - should have cut Trump loose long ago as a matter of duty

Well, even despite the “sane country” qualifier, I think this is pretty much spot-on. Rough, but accurate. With one exception, though:

The bright spot here is that this is not “Civil War 2.0” or a fascist movement. That would require commitment and bravery from the Trumpist inner circle. They are led by a cowardly man and they are cowards themselves. The rank and file are groupies, not activists. /15
There is no mass movement party here, no hard central corps of true believers who will advance the cause, because there is no “cause.” Trumpism is about people who watch too much TV, who have shown, over three years, they have no real idea what to do with power anyway. /16

I’d disagree with Tom about that “no hard central corps” thing: it may be far smaller than popularly imagined - certain far smaller than their own inflated self-importance makes them think - but unfortunately, I think it IS there, and (even more unfortunately) they - or at least the hardest of the hard-core - have a very clear idea of what to do with power.
Myself, I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss the fears of a “fascist movement”: it’s not likely that an American Reich is in the offing: but even “people who watch too much TV” can do a lot of damage to a society, once they turn their sets off.

Dave In Austin  Nov 4, 2019 • 6:34:57am

re: #155 HappyWarrior

Think on this…… And you’re correct on the Elected part.

But she does have 8 years exper.of sleeping next to and listening to, the Office…..
And she’s smart as a tack.

jaunte  Nov 4, 2019 • 6:36:58am
HappyWarrior  Nov 4, 2019 • 6:37:32am

re: #158 Dave In Austin

Think on this…… And you’re correct on the Elected part.

And she’s smart as a tack.

True. She’s not just any unelected official. I get the impression from reading and listening to her audiobio that she wouldn’t be interested but a lot can change and I do think she has the right qualities to be President.

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Nov 4, 2019 • 6:39:54am

re: #142 lawhawk

Trump’s wall is already going exactly as one his supporters would expect.

We all knew what to expect.

If Trump had been the least bit serious or had the slightest experience (as he claims) of large-scale building projects, he would have convened a planning commission to prepare design, engineering, legal and environmental impact studies, as well as a proposed budget and timetable.

Naturally, none of that ever happened, nor will it happen.

lawhawk  Nov 4, 2019 • 6:44:55am

Why is Trump going crazier than usual on Twitter?

Roger Stone goes on trial tomorrow.

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Nov 4, 2019 • 6:47:27am

There is a whole lot more to the issue than in the original Tweet, but that is what happens when the entire discourse gets Twitterized.

Point is, blacks don’t vote as a bloc, and being a member of a minority group does not make one automatically into a supporter of a different minority.

Expecting someone to behave in a certain way because of their skin color is the textbook definition of racism.

lawhawk  Nov 4, 2019 • 6:49:41am
Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Nov 4, 2019 • 6:55:29am

As for Mayor Pete, I admire his record of military service and the way he stands up to hypocritical pseudo-Christians, but I never considered him seriously enough as a Presidential candidate to look too closely into his record of political service.

Belafon  Nov 4, 2019 • 7:01:09am

re: #163 Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))

It is racist to walk up to an individual person and assume they have certain political views because of their skin color, which is why I didn’t walk up to blacks at my job and talk about how great Obama was. It’s not racist to bemoan the fact that part of said group has those views.

To flip it around, I would never assume a particular gay man supports blacks, but it’s seriously sad to see racist gays.

Belafon  Nov 4, 2019 • 7:05:01am

To put this to bed, though, Boy George probably is making a broad assumption about why some blacks aren’t supporting him, even though there are blacks that don’t support gays, mainly older ones as discussed above. Pete’s record doesn’t look all that stellar regarding the AA community, and even I’m wary about how he would deal with the problems that are going to come if a Democrat wins. Someone is going to have to deal with a whole lot of militia groups that have suddenly decided that blacks got Trump kicked out of office.

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Nov 4, 2019 • 7:05:13am

Or Log Cabin Republicans…no matter how many times you tell them that they are supporting a party that at best wants to allow them to be discriminated against through to seeing them “converted” via all means including electro-shock clear all the way to people who would have their heads put on spikes outside the town gates as a warning against their abdominations unto the Lord…

plansbandc  Nov 4, 2019 • 7:11:40am

Log Cabin Republicans are Chickens for KFC just like women tRump voters.

Joe Bacon 🌹  Nov 4, 2019 • 7:15:27am

Joe Bacon 🌹  Nov 4, 2019 • 7:16:44am

re: #164 lawhawk

When Trump dies, cremate him and flush the ashes down the john…

Belafon  Nov 4, 2019 • 7:17:36am

re: #171 Joe Bacon 🌹

When Trump dies, cremate him and flush the ashes down the john…

I think extraction and burial at sea. We’ve set a precedent for certain people.

lizardofid  Nov 4, 2019 • 7:22:29am

re: #171 Joe Bacon 🌹

When Trump dies, cremate him and flush the ashes down the john…

Just motorcade his ashes from Trump Tower over to the Gowanus Canal.

On the other hand, I guess it’s wrong to pollute. ; )

Oh, good morning all!

Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus  Nov 4, 2019 • 7:24:22am

From the Brains-in-Vats folk at UCSD, now they are worrying about consciousness in their little vats:

Consciousness in Cerebral Organoids - How Would We Know? with Christof Koch

makeitstop  Nov 4, 2019 • 7:27:22am

Never, ever gets old.

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Nov 4, 2019 • 7:27:49am

re: #174 Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus

It says “Abby Normal” right there on the jar…

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Nov 4, 2019 • 7:29:06am

re: #175 makeitstop

Never, ever gets old.

It is still held up as an example of the hatred and intolerance that is modern liberalism in the eyes of the loving, tolerant alt-right

makeitstop  Nov 4, 2019 • 7:32:47am

re: #177 Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))

Yeah, well, fuck them.

HappyWarrior  Nov 4, 2019 • 7:33:09am

re: #177 Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))

Who gives a fuck?

HappyWarrior  Nov 4, 2019 • 7:33:41am

re: #175 makeitstop

Never, ever gets old.

Call for ethnic cleansing, you don’t deserve respect.

Joe Bacon 🌹  Nov 4, 2019 • 7:34:04am

re: #175 makeitstop

Never, ever gets old.

Do The Ramones thing. Beat on the brat with a baseball bat…

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Nov 4, 2019 • 7:34:09am

The Normandy Landing were a Liberal Hate Fest by those standards…

The Pie Overlord!  Nov 4, 2019 • 7:35:39am

WTF is wrong with these people?

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Nov 4, 2019 • 7:37:59am

re: #183 The Pie Overlord!

WTF is wrong with these people?

just some pseudostatistical electoral ratfuckery, trying to convince Democrat voters that Elizabeth Warren is “unelectable”…

Joe Bacon 🌹  Nov 4, 2019 • 7:38:36am

re: #183 The Pie Overlord!

WTF is wrong with these people?

It’s a New York Times poll. They’ve made it clear they want Trump re-elected.

plansbandc  Nov 4, 2019 • 7:38:58am
lawhawk  Nov 4, 2019 • 7:41:21am

re: #183 The Pie Overlord!

From another poll that makes it abundantly clear. Uneducated white people - those without a college education, remain supporters of Trump, while every other demographic opposes Trump.

It’s as though being angry, white, and uneducated is a prerequisite for being in the GOP and buying the baffling BS that massive tax cuts for billionaires will somehow improve their personal lives or that gutting the safety net will likewise improve their lives because black poor folks don’t get assistance.

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Nov 4, 2019 • 7:44:27am

re: #187 lawhawk

There is also a certain personality type involved here, cantankerous contrarians who do not look upon political opponents as people to be convinced or compromised with, but as human scum to be eradicated, and would happily shoot themselves in the foot if they though that would outrage a liberal.

I Would Prefer Not To  Nov 4, 2019 • 7:47:45am

I think polls a year out, when we don’t have a nominee, are useless. Plus trump gets more insane by the day minute and offends more people. I believe that a Biden or a Warren can beat trump.

Joe Bacon 🌹  Nov 4, 2019 • 7:48:58am

re: #187 lawhawk

Nope.

They get off on Trump kicking colored people down.

The Pie Overlord!  Nov 4, 2019 • 7:51:49am

WTFITS

lawhawk  Nov 4, 2019 • 7:54:53am
Joe Bacon 🌹  Nov 4, 2019 • 7:55:29am

re: #191 The Pie Overlord!

WTFITS

The Republican 24/7 Bullshit Machine in action…

makeitstop  Nov 4, 2019 • 7:56:23am

re: #192 lawhawk

Next stop, Supremes, I guess.

Belafon  Nov 4, 2019 • 7:58:28am

The topic of implementing Warren’s health care plan is being discussed even by David Anderson over at Balloon Juice. He makes an interesting point that a lot of House Reps aren’t really interested in doing health care again.

A broad question, though: Is Warren’s “I have a plan” getting weaponized against her? If she doesn’t have a plan, then she’s unprepaired. If she does, then it can be critiqued.

jaunte  Nov 4, 2019 • 7:58:32am

re: #191 The Pie Overlord!

Today in white supremacists incompetently appropriating black culture in hopes someone might listen to them.

lawhawk  Nov 4, 2019 • 7:59:17am
Belafon  Nov 4, 2019 • 7:59:17am

re: #194 makeitstop

Next stop, Supremes, I guess.

Which is where it was always going. We’re about to find out whether DOJ policy is law.

Hecuba's daughter  Nov 4, 2019 • 8:00:58am

re: #144 DangerMan (misuser of the sarc tag)

…..

…..

He’s been lying like this his entire adult life and has gotten away with it. He’s been successful at this and a master at deceiving others; let’s not forget how in 1984 he managed to get on the Forbes 400 list by lying about his wealth. There is no reason to think that he is unaware of this — in fact his nearest and dearest have boasted about “alternative facts” (Conway) and “The President is not under oath” (Giuliani). Even before Trump, Rove talked about our “making our own reality”. Trump lies and he doesn’t care; he’s never faced any consequences for his untruths — and so far his entire party shares that view. His supporters don’t care. They don’t care if he shoots someone on Fifth Avenue and they don’t care if he lies about everything.

Dr Lizardo  Nov 4, 2019 • 8:02:13am

Yep. SCOTUS is going to have to rule whether or not the President is, in fact, above the law.

I Would Prefer Not To  Nov 4, 2019 • 8:03:18am

True, very true.

jaunte  Nov 4, 2019 • 8:05:09am
DodgerFan1988  Nov 4, 2019 • 8:06:13am

The Right-Wing already calling this hate crime a hoax (of course).

jaunte  Nov 4, 2019 • 8:08:08am
jaunte  Nov 4, 2019 • 8:10:32am
Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Nov 4, 2019 • 8:11:13am

re: #203 DodgerFan1988

The Right-Wing already calling this hate crime a hoax (of course).

It’s a hoax but that doesn’t mean he didn’t deserve it…

HappyWarrior  Nov 4, 2019 • 8:18:59am

re: #203 DodgerFan1988

The Right-Wing already calling this hate crime a hoax (of course).

I can’t tell you how much this stuff scares me having a Hispanic sister in law and niece.

Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus  Nov 4, 2019 • 8:24:39am

Lottery update: Saturday’s PowerBall jackpot was won here in California.

Actually, barely inside California was the ticket purchased. It was bought at the “California Lottery at Gold Ranch” store, which can be seen here:

goo.gl

It’s a building right next to the state line with Nevada, on part of a casino just outside of Reno. So people can go gamble at the casino, then walk across the parking lot so they can buy California Lottery tickets.

How convenient.

Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus  Nov 4, 2019 • 8:32:20am

Love this photo on Google maps, from inside the store:

goo.gl

The gambling industry is highly efficient.

calochortus  Nov 4, 2019 • 8:34:53am

re: #147 I Would Prefer Not To

I Accidentally Uncovered a Nationwide Scam on Airbnb From Vice

Also, there was a shooting at an Airbnb party house rental in the East Bay (very close to home for corporate headquarters) in which 5 people died. People have been complaining about the use of Airbnb houses for parties (advertised to all and sundry on Instagram) for a long time. Suddenly, they find a need to come up with a policy on this.
Airbnb has issues.

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Nov 4, 2019 • 8:35:10am

re: #209 Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus

Love this photo on Google maps, from inside the store:

goo.gl

The gambling industry is highly efficient.

It is all about convenience…

calochortus  Nov 4, 2019 • 8:36:55am

re: #208 Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus

Lottery update: Saturday’s PowerBall jackpot was won here in California.

goo.gl

How convenient.

That’s not unlike the Border Inn on the NV/UT border. You can gamble on the NV side and buy gas in Utah (lower tax). Can’t remember if it makes a difference for which side the motel rooms are on.

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Nov 4, 2019 • 8:39:59am

re: #212 calochortus

depends on which position you use

anything but missionary is still outlawed in Utah

makeitstop  Nov 4, 2019 • 8:50:56am

It doesn’t seem that long, but it was three years ago today that Bean and Spock came to live at our house. Here they are, sharing a celebratory drink.

Here’s the first pic we took when they got here. They were smaller then.

wrenchwench  Nov 4, 2019 • 8:56:46am

re: #214 makeitstop

They look just like my two:

Dr Lizardo  Nov 4, 2019 • 8:57:37am

Music break - this is good.

Beabadoobee - Space Cadet

ckkatz  Nov 4, 2019 • 9:04:12am

re: #183 The Pie Overlord!

WTF is wrong with these people?

Yup! Here is a useful observation on the article:

ckkatz  Nov 4, 2019 • 9:10:50am

Rachel Bitcofer also has a thread on the NYTime article that concludes with the following tweets:

Jay C  Nov 4, 2019 • 9:11:47am

re: #208 Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus

Lottery update: Saturday’s PowerBall jackpot was won here in California.

goo.gl

How convenient.

Interstate commerce: optimized….

Eclectic Cyborg  Nov 4, 2019 • 9:16:05am

re: #219 Jay C

Interstate commerce: optimized….

Just like when you see liquor stores three feet past the county line of a dry county.

ckkatz  Nov 4, 2019 • 9:22:36am

re: #220 Eclectic Cyborg

Your post reminds me of this song -

The Austin Lounge Lizards - A Hundred Miles of Dry

makeitstop  Nov 4, 2019 • 9:28:00am

re: #220 Eclectic Cyborg

When I lived in Philly, my bands would play the Jersey Shore circuit. Cape May County was a dry county then (dunno if it still is), and you had to use a bridge to enter Cape May. There was a bar called Tony Mart’s right next to the bridge, and it always had a crowd.

We’d arrive at the bar in May, set up, and play the entire summer there. The club had rooms over the bar where we’d stay until Labor Day. Great gig, that was.

Dread Pirate  Nov 4, 2019 • 9:30:13am
Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Nov 4, 2019 • 9:37:31am

re: #222 makeitstop

We used to play in Fredonia, Arizona, just over the border from Utah back when it was not dry as such but had to public bars, only liquor stores and private clubs.

sizzzzlerz  Nov 4, 2019 • 9:49:17am

re: #153 Dave In Austin

2028…….. Saying we can clean this mess up to some degree.

Please discuss.

I don’t know why she’d want to given how vilely the mouth-breathers treated her. I can only envision that treatment being orders of magnitude worse should she run for public office. That would take an extremely large pair of brass balls to take that on.

Eventual Carrion  Nov 4, 2019 • 10:12:23am

re: #220 Eclectic Cyborg

That is the way it is in the little PA town my mom lives in. Town is a dry town, but every avenue out of town has a bar/grill just past the township line. And going from one side of town to the other is maybe a 3 mile trip tops. So no one is very far from a watering hole anyway.

CleverToad  Nov 4, 2019 • 10:15:50am

re: #153 Dave In Austin

2028…….. Saying we can clean this mess up to some degree.

Please discuss.

Love her and respect her intelligence, decency, savvy and charisma. But I want a candidate with significant elected experience and/or a substantive record of government service when voting for the most important job in the country.
(Subject to change in the future if she runs for office, serves in a cabinet, etc.)

jeffreyw  Nov 4, 2019 • 10:19:38am

re: #208 Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus

Lottery update: Saturday’s PowerBall jackpot was won here in California.

goo.gl

How convenient.

Bad Times at the El Royale | Teaser Trailer [HD] | 20th Century FOX

Rep. Adam Schiff: Trump’s Potentially Impeachable Offenses Include Bribery : NPR House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff, D-Calif., told Morning Edition host Steve Inskeep during an interview at the Capitol on Tuesday that he thinks there's a clear argument to be made that Trump committed "bribery" and "high crimes and ...
#Thegreatpoolpondconversion - 191110Another really satisfying and curious weekend. Last week we reminisced about the tarp and how well it’s been holding up. Well during the week it tore and leaked a bit. Not enough to do damage. We’ll kludge something using both ...
DangerMan (misuser of the sarc tag)
Dan Deacon - Sat by a Tree (Official Video) Dan Deacon - "Sat By A Tree", from 'Mystic Familiar', out 31st January 2020 on Domino Record Co.Please note: Viewers with an aversion to watching close up footage of insects should be advised against viewing this video.Hear Dan Deacon ...
Zero 7 - Somersault (Official Video) Ft. Sia Stream the brand new Special Edition of When It Falls here: smarturl.it 'Somersault', released in 2004, is a single taken from Zero 7's second album 'When It Falls'. The track debuted in the UK charts at #56 and remained ...
Tender Is the Night — Henry Mancini Provided to YouTube by Sony Music Entertainment Tender is the Night · Henry Mancini As Time Goes By ℗ 1992 BMG Music Engineer, Producer: John McClureComposer: Sammy FainComposer: Paul Francis WebsterMixing Engineer: Robert HartMixing Engineer: Grover HelsleyAssociated Performer: The ...
A Facebook Fact-Checker Prepares to Propose a Solution to the Company’s False Ad Debacle New York (CNN Business)One of the companies that Facebook hired to fact-check posts on its platform will propose a change to Facebook's policy allowing politicians to run ads containing falsehoods, CNN Business has learned. Lead Stories, one of the ...
Views: 7,829 • Comments: 0 • Rating: 1
How to Exercise the Power You Didn’t Ask For Yale Law School’s Jack Balkin has invoked these examples and proposed that today’s online platforms become “information fiduciaries.” We are among a number of academics who have been working with policymakers and internet companies to map out what sorts ...
1 week ago
#Thegreatpoolpondconversion - BonusI planted a cactus in 2008. Being it's Florida, I don't know why. It was small. It grew. About 10 arms, straight up, probably 10 feet high.Don't have a picture of that.Back in 2017 or so, we managed to prune ...
DangerMan (misuser of the sarc tag)
1 week, 1 day ago
#Thegreatpoolpondconversion - 191103What a satisfying and productive weekend we had.We hit some milestones (which we’re making up as we go) and accomplished some tasks that have drawn out way too long. On Saturday we finally managed to lever the cactus out of ...
DangerMan (misuser of the sarc tag)
1 week, 1 day ago