And Now, the Mating Dance of the Puffin

Featuring a nice pair of boobies
Humor • Views: 19,757

YouTube

Let’s take it off like we’re on eraser duty.
Join the community: patreon.com
Song: zefrank.bandcamp.com
Caitlin Roukin: Female Puffin
Ze Frank : Male Puffin
“Puffin Song” Written and performed by Ze Frank
Footage Licensed from Shutterstock and Videoblocks
Intro Song; Tom Moore SoundCloud

Michele: Out of the closet, Into the fire  Jan 22, 2020 • 7:34:21pm

Thanks for the sanity break Charles.

makeitstop  Jan 22, 2020 • 7:36:54pm

I like this take.

McConnell created a content vacuum, and Schiff has taken full advantage of it.

Charles Johnson  Jan 22, 2020 • 7:40:21pm

Watched “Brightburn” last night. The story of Superman gone horribly wrong.

The Pie Overlord!  Jan 22, 2020 • 7:42:02pm

Another day, another mass shooting.

Teukka  Jan 22, 2020 • 7:43:18pm

re: #4 The Pie Overlord!

Another day, another mass shooting.

Foxtrot. Uniform. Charlie. Kilo. :(

Hecuba's daughter  Jan 22, 2020 • 7:44:22pm

re: #2 makeitstop

I like this take.

McConnell created a content vacuum, and Schiff has taken full advantage of it.

But the Trump lawyers will do their lying two-step, the Republican Senators will nod in approval, the hack Chief Justice will get his directions from McConnell and it will all be over by Wednesday or do you think that the Trump lawyers will take more than a day for their presentation? They’ve got nothing but either lies or the assertion that the President(Republican only) is an absolute monarch.

LeftyRambles2413 (HappyWarrior)  Jan 22, 2020 • 7:50:35pm

re: #2 makeitstop

I like this take.

McConnell created a content vacuum, and Schiff has taken full advantage of it.

I thought it was a master presentation today. They pointed elegantly to why Trump’s actions were not only unconstitutional but endangered national security.

Joe Bacon 🌹  Jan 22, 2020 • 7:51:43pm

re: #6 Hecuba’s daughter

I dread the thought of Collins, Gym Jordan and Gohmert Pyle on the Senate Floor with each one trying to out kiss Trump’s fat flabby ass!

NO SMOCKING GUN!  Jan 22, 2020 • 7:51:49pm

re: #6 Hecuba’s daughter

I’m still hoping that Bolton will somehow testify publicly. Or at least his book comes out before election day.

makeitstop  Jan 22, 2020 • 7:55:42pm

re: #6 Hecuba’s daughter

I won’t predict how long it it will or won’t take. The opening arguments from Schiff’s side are masterful and they’re doing damage to Trump now. If it goes on for three more days, that’s three more days worth of damage. As long as they have the cudgel they should use it

I still don’t think McConnell expected the blowback his strategy is getting. And unless he’s forbidding senators from reading polls, they’re seeing those numbers. And more damaging evidence is dropping almost daily - two major scandals have dropped since this afternoon. This all might be over soon, but it’s not over yet.

plansbandc  Jan 22, 2020 • 8:01:53pm

I think, perhaps, I am a bit too high to have consumed the new video. Oh dear.

LeftyRambles2413 (HappyWarrior)  Jan 22, 2020 • 8:06:43pm

re: #10 makeitstop

Honestly the impeachment managers to me demonstrated great dignity today. They were all what the House is meant to be, the people’s house and represented well the diversity of the party. These men and women are going to be part of the future House leadership someday. I felt that Rep Jeffries in particular attacked the absurdity of the Trump Doctrine if you can call it that. We were the jurors today as much as the 100 Senators today. The only people judging by interviews that Jay Sekulow is interested in is Trump’s base. And Trump’s base isn’t strong right now. Look at him. He was ranting about how Limbaugh and Hannity deserve the Nobel. If Trump had an advantage in 2016, it’s that he controlled the media narrative, he’s lost that.

retired cynic  Jan 22, 2020 • 8:06:45pm

re: #11 plansbandc

snicker, does white wine count, giggle?

Joe Bacon 🌹  Jan 22, 2020 • 8:19:13pm

Had to unfriend several HS folks on Facebook who turn out to be full blown MAGATS…

makeitstop  Jan 22, 2020 • 8:22:18pm

re: #12 LeftyRambles2413 (HappyWarrior)

Schiff’s directing his prosecution so it makes sense to the public, while Sekolow is preaching to the choir and trying to hold the base together. And of course, smooching up the boss’s butt. That’s the important thing here, after all.

A Three Hour Tour  Jan 22, 2020 • 8:25:16pm

re: #14 Joe Bacon 🌹

I went on a Facebook purge of Tea Partiers among HS acquaintances back in 2010. During the 2016 campaign and afterwards, it has been more a matter of blocking the BernieBro and MAGAt friends of old acquaintances who survived the 2010 purge.

Ace Rothstein  Jan 22, 2020 • 8:25:55pm

re: #14 Joe Bacon 🌹

Good.

goddamnedfrank  Jan 22, 2020 • 8:27:45pm
LeftyRambles2413 (HappyWarrior)  Jan 22, 2020 • 8:31:06pm

re: #16 A Three Hour Tour

I’ve never purged anyone on FB but I have unfollowed many. I don’t have a lot of tolerance for my TL being filled with people who just post clickbait and don’t look at what they’re posting. People tell me a lot if they’re posting 10 political items especially memes a day.

Dread Pirate  Jan 22, 2020 • 8:35:22pm
Dread Pirate  Jan 22, 2020 • 8:56:47pm

What South Korea should do as an ally that the U.S. wants is described in the contributed article. “South Korea’s taking on a greater share of the load will ensure the alliance remains the linchpin of peace and prosperity on the Korean Peninsula, in Northeast Asia ― and across the world.” That is, Korea should pay more. Trump is already taking Korea’s purchase of high-tech weapons for granted. He is adding the defense cost sharing and sending troops to the Hormuz Strait in his calculation.

makeitstop  Jan 22, 2020 • 8:59:08pm
LeftyRambles2413 (HappyWarrior)  Jan 22, 2020 • 8:59:10pm

re: #21 Dread Pirate

That’s nice. Too bad Trump has the exact opinion and the South Korean know it.

FormerDirtDart 🍕🐀  Jan 22, 2020 • 9:04:14pm

That’s a unique after market accessory

makeitstop  Jan 22, 2020 • 9:04:50pm

This could be big.

Belafon  Jan 22, 2020 • 9:20:42pm

re: #22 makeitstop

Showing this for the gif:

Dread Pirate  Jan 22, 2020 • 9:59:53pm

re: #25 makeitstop

and on Biden testimony.

Dread Pirate  Jan 22, 2020 • 10:03:53pm
ckkatz  Jan 22, 2020 • 10:08:50pm

Thread:

Dread Pirate  Jan 22, 2020 • 10:10:37pm

Brexit is sure to move the US and UK close, and improve trade.

It sucks to not have the EU economy to back you up in trade negotiations.

sagehen  Jan 22, 2020 • 10:17:07pm

re: #7 LeftyRambles2413 (HappyWarrior)

The panel on 11th Hour seems to think that a dozen or more of the R senators hadn’t really been paying attention the last couple months, being totally focused on their committee work, so Schiff’s case is actually new to them. And it’s getting through.

Dr Lizardo  Jan 22, 2020 • 10:23:13pm

So, I don’t know if this has shown up yet in English-language media, but here in Czech media, it’s being reported that the incubation period of the Wuhan Coronavirus is about 14 days. The following is a Google translation of the article from the original Czech source.

The new coronavirus spread from China has already hit two continents. The number of infections is steadily increasing and European states are beginning to introduce countermeasures. What do we know about the virus so far?

What is a coronavirus?
Coronaviruses are named after spines coming out of their membrane that resembles a solar corona. They primarily attack the respiratory tract in humans and animals. This family of viruses has a wide variety of mutations, from common colds to fatal diseases such as SARS, which attacked thousands of people in 2003 and killed about 800 of them.

The relevant paragraph:

How do you know if you are infected with coronavirus?
The classic symptoms are fever, difficulty breathing, coughing and headaches. Lighter cases may resemble the course of a severe cold or flu, which makes recognition difficult. According to scientists, the current 2019-nCoV virus* has an incubation period of about two weeks.

lidovky.cz

*This is the official name for the virus.

Two weeks seems to be an unusually lengthy incubation period - the influenza virus, or at least H1N1, one of the most common strains, has a one week incubation period, IIRC.
Even though Wuhan was put under a de facto quarantine, a two week incubation period means there could be a significant number of people who’ve already been infected but are not yet symptomatic. Yikes.

goddamnedfrank  Jan 22, 2020 • 10:23:46pm
GlutenFreeJesus  Jan 22, 2020 • 10:33:26pm

re: #24 FormerDirtDart 🍕🐀

Nice car with 250 turtle power.

austin_blue  Jan 22, 2020 • 10:56:36pm

re: #28 Dread Pirate

C-130 water tanker crash confirmed. Three Americans killed.

theguardian.com

Dr Lizardo  Jan 23, 2020 • 12:13:20am

In other science news,

For the past 15,000 years, a glacier on the northwestern Tibetan Plateau of China has hosted a party for some unusual guests: an ensemble of frozen viruses, many of them unknown to modern science.

Scientists recently broke up this party after taking a look at two ice cores from this Tibetan glacier, revealing the existence of 28 never-before-seen virus groups.

Investigating these mysterious viruses could help scientists on two fronts: For one, these stowaways can teach researchers which viruses thrived in different climates and environments over time, the researchers wrote in a paper posted on the bioRxiv database on Jan. 7.

nbcnews.com

Amory Blaine  Jan 23, 2020 • 12:34:05am

I heard a rich, nutty, shell of a man died today.

Anymouse 🌹🎃  Jan 23, 2020 • 12:40:20am

Hi.

Anymouse 🌹🎃  Jan 23, 2020 • 12:41:29am

I want to thank the commentariat and the Academy for my karma score of 152,625 points here.

Anymouse 🌹🎃  Jan 23, 2020 • 12:47:07am

Yeah, Real Sorry (Goes to Juanita Jean’s, the World’s Most Dangerous Beauty Salon, more at the link)

Tarrant County (think Fort Worth) Republicans decided it would be a fun thing to march in the MLK parade. So, they all got together, somebody picked up the sign, most of them found something red to wear, and off they went to … be real cute and flash the OK sign for a group picture. On MLK day. On film. On Facebook. In the newspaper.

(Internal link goes to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram opinion piece “How on earth did young Tarrant Republican think trolling with ‘OK’ hand symbol was smart?”)

Anymouse 🌹🎃  Jan 23, 2020 • 1:25:38am

Big local news.

The Oshkosh, Nebraska water tower has been added to the National Register of Historic Places.

The city restored it’s “obsolete” water tower (my town has an identically-constructed tower in use).

Group restores water tower (goes to the Scottsbluff, Nebr. Star-Herald, more at the link):

Oshkosh is about thirty miles SSE of my town.

OSHKOSH — What to do with a water tower that has been rendered obsolete? For the City of Oshkosh, the plan was to tear it down, but a community group came to the rescue and bought the 100-year-old beacon of the town.

When the city began a $4 million water system replacement project, the water tower was to be removed, however, Jo Lynn Blackwell, Susan Piva and other members of the Save the Oshkosh Water Tower movement petitioned the city council to save the 120-foot tall tower, eventually purchasing it and the ground it sits on. Now, the plan is to build an illuminated plaza underneath the tower for community events and to put lighting on the tower that will be able to change colors for different events, say purple lights for Garden County High School sports events or red and green for Christmas.

Anymouse 🌹🎃  Jan 23, 2020 • 2:02:31am

According to Morning Consult’s polling, Senator Ben Sasse (R-NE) has dropped below a 50% approval rating. He is about 45%.
morningconsult.com
His disapproval rating is about 38%.

This is a flippable seat for us.

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Jan 23, 2020 • 2:04:51am

re: #29 ckkatz

What do you do when you are the most dispirited about politics, Trump, the direction of our country, etc.?

I remind myself that things still have to get worse before they can start getting better.

Then I remind myself that we still have a way to go before reading that point…

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Jan 23, 2020 • 2:08:23am

re: #40 Anymouse 🌹🎃

They consider that the apex of refinement and cutting-edge strategy.

Anymouse 🌹🎃  Jan 23, 2020 • 2:11:10am

re: #43 Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))

Then I remind myself that we still have a way to go before reading that point…

I remind myself we flipped the House in 2018 when it was predicted that wasn’t possible.

I also remind myself of the number of Republicans in the House and Senate have decided to take powder on the the next election.

I remind myself of governors’ offices flipped to the Democrats such as Wisconsin and Kentucky.

I remind myself of state legislatures flipped such as Virginia.

I remind myself of my local school board flipped to Democratic control in the middle of so-called Trump Country.

I remind myself of the write-in mayoral candidate in another town in my county who ousted the Republican mayor about 8 to 1.

Dave In Austin  Jan 23, 2020 • 2:47:35am

Ted Cruz’s Senate website “Down for Maint.”

Sweet

Dave In Austin  Jan 23, 2020 • 3:08:55am

Heh…..

First As Tragedy, Then As Farce  Jan 23, 2020 • 3:29:25am

This is pretty niche, but if anyone happens to be interested in fiddling around with the electrical innards of your electric guitar or bass, you could do much worse than to watch the how-tos at this channel:

Six String Supplies YouTube Channel

Using that, I was able to do a complete swap of all the pickups and electronics in an Epiphone SG and install coil taps with only rudimentary experience. What I ended up with won’t be winning any aesthetics awards, but it’s functional and a lot less difficult than I expected. Good stuff.

Dr Lizardo  Jan 23, 2020 • 3:41:47am

Well, shit.

China put a second city on lockdown on Thursday (Jan 23) and shut down the railway station at another camid fears over the spread of a new coronavirus that has killed 17 people and infected nearly 600.

The train station in Huanggang, which has a population of 7.5 million and is 70km from Wuhan - the first city that was put on lockdown - will be suspended until further notice from midnight. All vehicles will be checked, and bars and cinemas closed, said city authorities.

The railway station in a third nearby city, Ezhou, which has a population of over one million, will also close from tonight, though no other measures were announced.

Health officials fear that the transmission rate will accelerate as hundreds of millions of Chinese travel at home and abroad during week-long holidays for the Chinese New Year, which begins on Saturday.

straitstimes.com

Anyone who’s familiar with apocalyptic fiction (book or film) recognizes this sort of thing as the opening chapter, or as something explained later on in flashback.

Yeesh.

A hollow voice says, Guilty, guilty, guilty!  Jan 23, 2020 • 3:52:27am

re: #45 Anymouse 🌹🎃

I’m old enough to remember when Repugs had a pretty strong foothold in California (it wasn’t that long ago).

Now they don’t hold a single statewide office, and Dems have supermajorities in both houses of the legislature. And we all know (sometimes to our dismay), as California goes, so goes the nation.

Dr Lizardo  Jan 23, 2020 • 3:55:30am

re: #50 A hollow voice says, Guilty, guilty, guilty!

Indeed it wasn’t that long ago at all. Well within my lifetime of 50 years.

A hollow voice says, Guilty, guilty, guilty!  Jan 23, 2020 • 3:56:06am

And in honor of the thread’s topic, here are some boobies. (We speculated that the purple-footed booby may be transgender).

First As Tragedy, Then As Farce  Jan 23, 2020 • 3:56:32am

re: #43 Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))

I haven’t got an optimistic neuron anywhere in my skull. David Frum likes to say something along the lines of, “there are lots of stops on the train to Terrible before we pull into Hitler Station.” But the country seems so anesthetized that I’m 100% convinced we won’t even notice we’re a full-fledged authoritarian police state when it’s in full swing. Chances are, you won’t even have to change your cable provider.

We’ve got literal concentration camps already, and we have no way to know how many people are really in them, how many have died, or even who is actually in them. The Republican Party is literally nothing more than a personality cult now, and is actively working to destroy the rule of law for no benefit other than being able to continue basking in the emanations of power wafting off of Dear Leader (or, if you’re Lindsey Graham, licking all the flavor out of Trump’s butthole). With a few occasional exceptions, our press is in ineffective disaster, whether it’s outright propaganda from Fox, et.al, or wide-eyed credulity and the insistence that Both Sides Have Always Done This from NPR, who also seem to believe that no two stories are ever connected in any way, and all of history is just a cloud of discrete, unrelated incidents. And then there’s whatever weird shit they’re smoking at the New York Times.

Maybe I’m just unlucky, but I keep getting inundated by Bernie Sanders cultists, and they are reminding me a LOT of the Ron Paul fetishists from days of old. Just say the name in any context whatsoever, and Hoooo-leeee shiiiiit, here they all come. I won’t be surprised when we find out that the Sanders campaign is up to its ass in Russian fuckery. Or maybe this is just how insane everyone is now.

Bah! Humbug!

Sherlock Hound  Jan 23, 2020 • 4:20:49am

These kinds of posts about the Good Old Days are everywhere!
Pure propaganda. Don’t spread them (most of us know this!) They will make you resentful, then you’ll go looking for scapegoats when your real life is nothing like the fantasy that was, or is.

I jump on these goddamned memes every chance I get! Last time I did this on FB, I got yelled at for “harshing (my brother’s) mellow!” Screw that. All lies. I never had that childhood, and neither did he!

LeftyRambles2413 (HappyWarrior)  Jan 23, 2020 • 4:26:07am

re: #54 Sherlock Hound

These kinds of posts about the Good Old Days are everywhere!

I don’t agree with the general philosophy of the South Park creators but member berries were a hell of a way of portraying the nostalgia for a time that never was.

Dangerman (slowly converting a pool into a pond)  Jan 23, 2020 • 4:29:37am

Of course we all know if Obama had done any of what Trump has done illegally - actually any one thing - he’d have been impeached in a heartbeat. And the Democrats would have supported the effort if serious evidence was produced. They maybe would have hated it, but unlike the GOP, they’d have stood up for the law and at the very least supported a full hearing and airing.

Patricia Kayden  Jan 23, 2020 • 4:37:24am
First As Tragedy, Then As Farce  Jan 23, 2020 • 4:40:59am

re: #55 LeftyRambles2413 (HappyWarrior)

From “Nostalgia For An Age That Never Existed” by Mojo Nixon & Jello Biafra:

Do you remember
Art-deco knick-knacks and things
The stars on the silver screen
Made you forget Hooverville

View the world
Through Time Life and Nick-at-Nite
Nostalgia for an age
That never existed

All the stars had a pretty face
Children and negroes knew their place
Blocks of happy families
With Moms and Dads all in love
Or are these wholesome memories
Really from reruns on TV
Or ads in old garage sale magazines?

Fake sixties
Mask our leaders sleaze
Is it really a new beginning
With Confederate Kennedys?

Fake Camelot
Before everything went wrong
Nostalgia for an age
That never existed

Patricia Kayden  Jan 23, 2020 • 4:43:05am
Shropshire Slasher  Jan 23, 2020 • 4:47:23am

Maybe George R. R. Martin won’t pull a Robert Jordan.

Fans of the epic fantasy series “Games of Thrones” could get something they’ve been waiting for — a new ending.

George R. R. Martin, the writer of the novels behind the show, said he is finally finishing the series “A Song of Fire and Ice.”

Martin’s two remaining books “The Winds of Winter” and “A Dream of Spring” will diverge from the HBO series that ended in May 2019.

“People know an ending - but not the ending,” Martin said in a new interview with the German newspaper, Welt.

pagesix.com

Sherlock Hound  Jan 23, 2020 • 4:49:35am

re: #29 ckkatz

I can always have another depressive episode! I’m worried that I’m sinking into another one. The year isn’t starting well.

Patricia Kayden  Jan 23, 2020 • 4:57:39am
Backwoods_Sleuth  Jan 23, 2020 • 5:03:45am

moron is upset

Backwoods_Sleuth  Jan 23, 2020 • 5:08:37am

re: #24 FormerDirtDart 🍕🐀

That’s a unique after market accessory

LeftyRambles2413 (HappyWarrior)  Jan 23, 2020 • 5:10:27am

moron is upset

He’s losing it.

Targetpractice  Jan 23, 2020 • 5:11:08am

moron is upset

Another difficult shit this morning, I see.

LeftyRambles2413 (HappyWarrior)  Jan 23, 2020 • 5:12:49am

How the fuck would Fox know? They were ratfucking with concern trolling about Bernie. Schiff and the managers made a great case using evidence including the orange asshole’s own words.

LeftyRambles2413 (HappyWarrior)  Jan 23, 2020 • 5:13:05am

re: #66 Targetpractice

Another difficult shit this morning, I see.

Yep.

Dangerman (slowly converting a pool into a pond)  Jan 23, 2020 • 5:13:06am

drzaius..18 minutes ago

Bill Clinton’s impeachment backfired because America saw it for what it was. A partisan witch hunt.

America will see this impeachment for what it is as well. A partisan cover-up.

LeftyRambles2413 (HappyWarrior)  Jan 23, 2020 • 5:16:54am

re: #69 Dangerman (misuser of the sarc tag)

drzaius..18 minutes ago

Trump can’t win when he’s not controlling the narrative. He failed wagging the dog with Iran and his defense strategy so far is a joke. No one argues that Presidents don’t have a right to reduce aid, we are arguing and I think successfully that no president has a right to do that in exchange for the investigation of a domestic rival. Sekulow tried likening Trump’s actions to Obama’s with Egyptian aid. It was a faulty analogy at best, gaslighting at worst.

FFL (GOP Delenda Est)  Jan 23, 2020 • 5:24:46am

re: #57 Patricia Kayden

I don’t think it’s “does not embrace of Big Tech” they’re afraid of. They’re projecting what an administration might do to them after taking a bunch of partisan hostility over the past 10 years; e.g. imagine how Trump and the GOP would be hitting them if they were actively blocking GOP hate speech and ignoring anything the Democrats said regardless of how provocative, lying, and hate filled it in violation of their (so-called) standards.

Dangerman (slowly converting a pool into a pond)  Jan 23, 2020 • 5:25:47am

re: #39 Anymouse 🌹🎃

You earned it

Dangerman (slowly converting a pool into a pond)  Jan 23, 2020 • 5:43:26am

re: #2 makeitstop

I like this take.

McConnell created a content vacuum, and Schiff has taken full advantage of it.

mcconnell et al outfoxed themselves in a more fundamental way

this will go down as the biggest Pyrrhic victory since the actual Pyrrhic War

this is about a month old and it’s spot on:

Melber suggested Trump and McConnell may actually end up tainting their public claim to an acquittal of the president by rigging the process in Trump’s favor. Tribe agreed.

The reason it may backfire is that an exoneration, if that’s what emerges by a Senate that is essentially rigged and fixed so that it’s coordinated in this way with the defense, really doesn’t clear the name of the accused so that the president will go down in history as having been essentially found guilty by the House in a proceeding where he had a chance to defend himself but didn’t take advantage of it, and then in a kind of rubber-stamp sort of toss-off, not really given a meaningful trial so that he will have been adjudicated fundamentally by the House of Representatives to have abused his office, abused his oath, and endangered the national security and then blockaded in the inquiry as though he were a dictator.

makeitstop  Jan 23, 2020 • 5:49:25am

Well, this should piss somebody off. Maybe kick up the Oval Office paranoia factor a few notches.

jaunte  Jan 23, 2020 • 6:10:19am
jaunte  Jan 23, 2020 • 6:11:05am

Reminder: Republicans will gladly let you die to make a buck.

jeffreyw  Jan 23, 2020 • 6:13:13am

I’m sure there’s a story here.

Good morning!

Belafon  Jan 23, 2020 • 6:13:22am

re: #57 Patricia Kayden

Facebook is worrying about what a Democrat would mean for them is pretty much equivalent to a white person worrying about what would happen to them is minorities are in charge. They know what they’ve done and don’t want it to happen to them.

makeitstop  Jan 23, 2020 • 6:16:42am

‘Becsuse’

moron

Belafon  Jan 23, 2020 • 6:17:36am
jaunte  Jan 23, 2020 • 6:19:00am
I Would Prefer Not To  Jan 23, 2020 • 6:19:01am

Speaking of China, have we had any Wheat updates?

Jay C  Jan 23, 2020 • 6:19:06am

re: #73 Dangerman (misuser of the sarc tag)

mcconnell et al outfoxed themselves in a more fundamental way

this will go down as the biggest Pyrrhic victory since the actual Pyrrhic War

this is about a month old and it’s spot on:

I think that analysis is pretty much correct: one thing that has impressed me throughout the whole 2019-20 impeachment saga is how the Democrats have - outside the mendacious RW media bubble, of course - pretty much seized and set the narrative from the beginning. And they have done so by simply following the basic “rules” and procedures (GOP caterwauling notwithstanding) - and making a clear and coherent case to the rest of the country outside the Circle Of Delusion. Not so much the “legal” case (though they have done a good job laying that out even without the full information available): but the “political”/PR one: i.e. that Donald Trump is dishonest, that Donald Trump is crooked*, and has trampled on the law, relying on an equally dishonest Executive Branch to corruptly cover up for him, and when finally called out (impeached) relying on an equally corrupt GOP Senate to “acquit” him in a rigged and blatantly partisan “trial” without even the pretense of fairness (sworn oaths aside).
Not a good storyline….

*also unfit and incompetent, but that’s another story.

Belafon  Jan 23, 2020 • 6:19:18am
LeftyRambles2413 (HappyWarrior)  Jan 23, 2020 • 6:22:53am

DCCC is ready for that I’m certain.

LeftyRambles2413 (HappyWarrior)  Jan 23, 2020 • 6:26:14am

re: #83 Jay C

Not a good storyline….

*also unfit and incompetent, but that’s another story.

Right on. I think people greatly underestimated the Democratic leadership.

Teddy's Person  Jan 23, 2020 • 6:27:22am

What a prick.

Just minutes into the session, as lead House impeachment manager Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) presented his opening argument for removing the president, Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) displayed on his desk a hand-lettered message with big block letters pleading: “S.O.S.”

In case that was too subtle, he followed this later with another handwritten message pretending he was an abducted child:
“THESE R NOT MY PARENTS!”
“PLEASE HELP ME!”

Paul wrote “IRONY ALERT” on another scrap of paper, and scribbled there an ironic thought. Nearby, a torn piece of paper concealed a crossword puzzle, which Paul set about completing while Schiff spoke. Eventually, even this proved insufficient amusement, and Paul, though required to be at his desk, left the trial entirely for a long block of time. WaPo

LeftyRambles2413 (HappyWarrior)  Jan 23, 2020 • 6:29:25am

re: #87 Teddy’s Person

What a prick.

It’ll be a great ad in 2022 when he has to face the voters.

Belafon  Jan 23, 2020 • 6:32:59am
Teddy's Person  Jan 23, 2020 • 6:36:36am
Until 1968, the minimum wage not only kept pace with inflation, it rose in step with productivity growth. The logic is straightforward; we expect that wages in general will rise in step with productivity growth. …

While the national minimum wage did rise roughly in step with productivity growth from its inception in 1938 until 1968, in the more than five decades since then, it has not even kept pace with inflation. However, if the minimum wage did rise in step with productivity growth since 1968 it would be over $24 an hour today

The Center fo rEconomic and Policy Research

Florida Panhandler  Jan 23, 2020 • 6:38:50am

Reminder: Republicans will gladly let you die to make a buck.

No, actually you deserve to die exactly because you are poor and sick. Making a buck is the gravy and just simply the way things ought to be. The Libertarians have taken control.

jaunte  Jan 23, 2020 • 6:56:49am
Jebediah, RBG  Jan 23, 2020 • 6:57:39am

re: #48 First As Tragedy, Then As Farce

Thanks, sounds useful…I have a bridge here that is just begging to be swapped out. I was just going to go for it but maybe I should check that out first.

retired cynic  Jan 23, 2020 • 6:59:17am

re: #82 I Would Prefer Not To

Speaking of China, have we had any Wheat updates?

None for months that I have heard of. I miss his voice!

LeftyRambles2413 (HappyWarrior)  Jan 23, 2020 • 7:07:43am

The hits keep on coming in. Going to be a lot of rage tweeting.

Joe Bacon 🌹  Jan 23, 2020 • 7:10:32am

The Pie Overlord!  Jan 23, 2020 • 7:12:02am

moron is upset

I see he really likes that Kremlin troll “Heather Childers”

Patricia Kayden  Jan 23, 2020 • 7:16:31am

re: #9 NO SMOCKING GUN!

How are we so sure that Bolton will tell the truth? I have no idea if he’ll actually say anything to harm Trump. I have no reason to trust him. There’s more than enough evidence to convict Trump without Bolton’s testimony.

Belafon  Jan 23, 2020 • 7:20:30am

re: #98 Patricia Kayden

Schiff gets to ask him questions I believe.

Michele: Out of the closet, Into the fire  Jan 23, 2020 • 7:21:54am

re: #98 Patricia Kayden

Unfortunately, this is a risk every Prosecutor faces when calling a potentially hostile witness. As Lawhawk has pointed out, when faced with such a scenario, the Prosecutor will only ask questions s/he already knows the answer to, but needs to have placed in front of the Jury.

Hecuba's daughter  Jan 23, 2020 • 7:33:38am

re: #38 Anymouse 🌹🎃

Hi.

Hello. Haven’t seen you in the past couple days. Hope you have completely recovered from your bout with the flu.

Dangerman (slowly converting a pool into a pond)  Jan 23, 2020 • 7:36:14am

the pledge of alliegance

liberty and justice, for all

liberty means freedom to mostly do what you want and be left alone
justice means fairness and proportional equity in all things
for all means everyone’s included - we all put in and we all get out

if it’s not for all it’s not for any

I Would Prefer Not To  Jan 23, 2020 • 7:36:23am

re: #100 Michele: Out of the closet, Into the fire

If Bolton lies he can be charged with a crime. And if he is charged after trump is out of office= no pardon.

John Hughes  Jan 23, 2020 • 7:37:24am

re: #54 Sherlock Hound

Britain had 4 TV channels starting in 1984. When it had been in the European community for 11 years.

These idiots can’t even do nostalgia right. I remember when the were two TV channels. I remember when dog shit turned white and dried up in the sun. I remember when crisp packets had a little blue bag of salt in them. I remember when my parents could only afford a house because it was a slum scheduled for demolition. I remember when the places we played as kids were bomb sites, actual bomb sites left over from the 2nd world war and not yet rebuilt.

Jay C  Jan 23, 2020 • 7:45:27am

“Corrupt”?

Not if you remember that to the Trumps, a “nonprofit inaugural committee” simply means that nobody but the Trumps is supposed to profit.

Semper Fi  Jan 23, 2020 • 7:47:31am

re: #94 retired cynic

None for months that I have heard of. I miss his voice!

It was always nice to hear from Wheat on whatever subject or thought. He was one of the benefits of signing on to LGF in the late hours.

Teukka  Jan 23, 2020 • 7:48:49am

File under “We’re not making this up, really”: 👀

Michele: Out of the closet, Into the fire  Jan 23, 2020 • 7:51:43am

re: #103 I Would Prefer Not To

Yep. Hence only asking questions he KNOWS the answers to already. Bolton is a war mongering shit stain, but he ISN’T a stupid war mongering shit stain.

LeftyRambles2413 (HappyWarrior)  Jan 23, 2020 • 7:52:05am

re: #106 Semper Fi

Wheat will get a get out of this but I initially thought he was a woman. I miss him too. I love hearing from our abroad based lizards because they offer an unique perspective. Hope Wheat is doing well. I loved talking to him too.

Hecuba's daughter  Jan 23, 2020 • 7:52:08am

re: #60 Shropshire Slasher

Maybe George R. R. Martin won’t pull a Robert Jordan.

pagesix.com

I’ll believe it when I see it. Until the last year, I was ok with the TV series even though it butchered every prophecy, butchered the Dorne story line, had that ridiculous trek north of the wall. I’ll buy the books the day they’re released but am skeptical that they will actually make an appearance in my lifetime.

Hidden for possible spoiler:

It is clear from Mirri Maz Duur’s prophecy in the books that Dany will die in childbirth — obviously giving birth to Jon’s child.

Dangerman (slowly converting a pool into a pond)  Jan 23, 2020 • 8:02:10am

re: #109 LeftyRambles2413 (HappyWarrior)

when i first started talking to klys about running, i didnt know she was a she.

we eventually took our conversations to email so as not to bore lgf to death.

it took about three more months till i asked because being an obvious older guy on the internet even the most innocently asked questions, even with purpose, can seem creepy.

The Pie Overlord!  Jan 23, 2020 • 8:04:03am

Republicans are dead to us.

lizardofid  Jan 23, 2020 • 8:05:00am

re: #104 John Hughes

When I was there I think there were three. BBC 1, 2, and IVT?

I was mostly in the West Midlands. Where were you from?

retired cynic  Jan 23, 2020 • 8:06:39am

Charlie Pierce, on the moments when Adam Schiff is eviscerating the President’s case using Mick Mulvaney’s famous press conference:

The people in the first rows of the galleries leaned over a little further, and the people in the rows behind them stretched and craned their necks. Down and to Schiff’s left, Mitch McConnell was holding the arms of his chair so tightly that his knuckles went bloodless and his lips were clenched tighter than his fingers were. You could not have pulled a pin out of McConnell’s ass with a tractor.

It was only a moment, and it passed, and McConnell soon slipped back into the placid mien of The Man Who Has The Votes. But the president* is guilty as sin, and they all know it, and they all know they can’t do anything about it because more senators don’t want to do anything about than do want to do anything about it. But the president* is as guilty as Jesse James, and they all know it. Every one of them knows it. They have to decide if they can live with that knowledge, and the tragedy is that they get to decide whether we have to live with it, too.

Teukka  Jan 23, 2020 • 8:08:14am

re: #107 Teukka

File under “We’re not making this up, really”: 👀

I was thinking “no way I’m able to top that in the next 24 hrs”. I was wrong:

makeitstop  Jan 23, 2020 • 8:08:40am

Not getting a whole lot of respect from the international community these days. Not that we deserve it.

Eventual Carrion  Jan 23, 2020 • 8:10:59am

re: #112 The Pie Overlord!

Republicans are dead to us.

So either willfully ignorant, stupid as fuck or a lying sac of shit. None of the possibilities are a good look for him.

i(m)p(each)sos  Jan 23, 2020 • 8:11:00am

re: #113 lizardofid

When I was there I think there were three. BBC 1, 2, and IVT?

ITV was the third (well, actually second).

BBC came first, of course, with regular scheduled TV broadcasts as early as 1936. They were significantly ahead of the US, in fact.

Commercial TV arrived in 1955. “ITV” was actually a loose alliance of local/regional channels covering the UK. It wasn’t until the 1990s that they all came under common ownership and began branding just as “ITV.” Before that, you watched Thames TV and London Weekend TV if you were in London, Yorkshire TV if you were in Yorkshire, HTV if you were in Wales, etc.

The BBC added a second channel, BBC2, in the early 1960s.

Channel 4 arrived, as noted earlier, in 1984.

Everything’s exploded since then; you can turn on satellite TV or cable or over-the-air TV anywhere in the UK and watch the same couple of hundred channels that you get here.

Hecuba's daughter  Jan 23, 2020 • 8:12:22am

re: #112 The Pie Overlord!

Republicans are dead to us.

Is there any Republican in Washington who hasn’t been photographed with Lev?

Jay C  Jan 23, 2020 • 8:13:16am

re: #117 Eventual Carrion

So either willfully ignorant, stupid as fuck or a lying sac of shit.

He’s a Republican Senator. He can multi-task….

Dangerman (slowly converting a pool into a pond)  Jan 23, 2020 • 8:15:15am

re: #112 The Pie Overlord!

Republicans are dead to us.

they’re going with ‘the actual words of the phone call dont say what you think they say” defense. it’s all open to interpretation. no one used the words “quid pro quo”, etc., so he didnt do those things

Hecuba's daughter  Jan 23, 2020 • 8:16:07am

re: #116 makeitstop

Unlike the GOP, Netanyahu does believe in climate change, Prince Charles main concern. So not surprising that Prince Charles would welcome him but not Pence.

John Hughes  Jan 23, 2020 • 8:16:36am

re: #113 lizardofid

When I was there I think there were three. BBC 1, 2, and IVT?

Originally there was one, the BBC (started broadcasting in 1936, had a few years off for some reason, really took off in 1953 for an early episode of The Crown), in 1955 ITV came along (“a license to print money” — Lew Grade) then in 1964 we got BBC 2.

I was living in Leeds in my early childhood, moved to London later.

Dangerman (slowly converting a pool into a pond)  Jan 23, 2020 • 8:18:24am

re: #114 retired cynic

Joe Pesci:

“Cmon. It’s Ok. You can say it. They know”

Dangerman (slowly converting a pool into a pond)  Jan 23, 2020 • 8:20:36am

re: #117 Eventual Carrion

this was about the best we could ever have hoped for in this process.
and we are getting it.

no one is fooled
not the R’s. not the rubes.

wont stop them from conjuring up explanations and proofs of innocence when the inevitable arguing happens later.

and it won’t help.

Shropshire Slasher  Jan 23, 2020 • 8:22:02am

re: #118 i(m)p(each)sos

ITV was the third (well, actually second).

The BBC added a second channel, BBC2, in the early 1960s.

Channel 4 arrived, as noted earlier, in 1984.

And watch world class…commercials. Sometimes they show a movie too.

Eclectic Cyborg  Jan 23, 2020 • 8:26:01am

In less than a week, 53 people are going to allow a criminal, corrupt President to not only remain in office but actively run for re-election…and their supporters will love it.

“So this is how liberty dies… with thunderous applause”

Shropshire Slasher  Jan 23, 2020 • 8:26:32am

Let the panic begin.

LOS ANGELES (KABC) — A passenger who landed at Los Angeles International Airport Wednesday night was hospitalized for a precautionary medical evaluation amid increased concerns over coronavirus.

ABC News reports it’s unclear if the passenger, who arrived on a flight from Mexico City, has coronavirus or what symptoms were exhibited.

abc7.com

makeitstop  Jan 23, 2020 • 8:29:11am

I’ve been seeing a lot of Bloomberg ads lately - he bought a lot of slots during the Knicks game last night - but this one about Trump insulting military leaders is a punch straight to the face.

The F&F dope tries to defend Trump’s treatment of the military, but Bloomberg’s campaign manager is not having it.

Eclectic Cyborg  Jan 23, 2020 • 8:29:58am

re: #128 Shropshire Slasher

Let the panic begin.

abc7.com

I remember when Toronto was hit with SARS back in the early aughts and how people were freaking out back then.

LA is a major hub city. It has a sizable Asian population. It should come as no surprise the virus MAY have appeared there.

Remember, this was precautionary step. For all we know, this person just has the flu.

Shropshire Slasher  Jan 23, 2020 • 8:32:56am

re: #130 Eclectic Cyborg

I’m sure it won’t be completely blown out of proportion.

///Do I need this?

Barefoot Grin  Jan 23, 2020 • 8:34:41am

Meanwhile, in post-racial America:

Eclectic Cyborg  Jan 23, 2020 • 8:36:25am

re: #132 Barefoot Grin

Meanwhile, in post-racial America:

JFC.

Belafon  Jan 23, 2020 • 8:37:49am

re: #129 makeitstop

Have you seen the Bloomberg ad about the Senate needing to remove Trump? It’s interesting because at no time does the ad mention out loud that he’s running for office. It just says that Trump has to be removed.

garzooma  Jan 23, 2020 • 8:38:46am

re: #117 Eventual Carrion

Just saw a good line on my Facebook feed:
Trump could shoot someone and still be acquitted by the Senate 53-47. Unless he shot a Republican Senator. Then it would be 52-47.

Belafon  Jan 23, 2020 • 8:40:59am

re: #135 garzooma

I believe mith (man in the hoodie) started that with a tweet yesterday.

As someone commented, though, if said Republican was still alive, it would still be 53-47.

Hecuba's daughter  Jan 23, 2020 • 8:41:25am

re: #128 Shropshire Slasher

Let the panic begin.

abc7.com

If the mortality rate of 2-3% is accurate, then it may be 20 x as deadly as normal flu — but we still don’t know how contagious it is. In any case, we aren’t talking about the 1918 flu pandemic or any of the other major pandemics that killed tens of millions. Something that can take up air time on Fox, instead of coverage of the impeachment.

Backwoods_Sleuth  Jan 23, 2020 • 8:43:18am
Backwoods_Sleuth  Jan 23, 2020 • 8:44:19am
makeitstop  Jan 23, 2020 • 8:45:36am

Yep, that’s the one that was running during the Knicks game.

He’s pledged to spend a billion on campaign ads. I figure the ads that will come as the campaign goes on will be less and less about him running for president and more about attacking Trump. No love lost between those two, and a billion bucks will buy a whole lot of score-settling.

makeitstop  Jan 23, 2020 • 8:46:29am

I believe mith (man in the hoodie) started that with a tweet yesterday.

Yeah, I posted that here last night. Only funny ‘cuz it’s likely true.

Backwoods_Sleuth  Jan 23, 2020 • 8:48:31am

re: #129 makeitstop

and the target is reacting as one would expect:

Belafon  Jan 23, 2020 • 8:49:39am

and the target is reacting as one would expect:

Bloomberg needs to make ads about Trump responding, and end it with Hillary’s statement about a man who can be goaded easily.

Backwoods_Sleuth  Jan 23, 2020 • 8:52:36am
retired cynic  Jan 23, 2020 • 8:52:45am

Something sneaking in while we are watching impeachment:

The Attorney General Lays the Groundwork to Carry Out His Threat
by Nancy LeTourneau, Wash. Monthly

Last October, Trump signed an executive order directing the attorney general to establish a Commission on Law Enforcement and the Administration of Justice. As Tom Jackman reported, this is something that both police and civil rights groups have sought for years. Nevertheless, concerns emerged almost immediately.

I suspect that this commission will probably be better-managed than the one Trump appointed to study voter fraud. But what the two have in common is that they have been established with an end product in mind. The goal will be to find a rationale to justify conclusions they already have in common.

The same attorney general who appointed these commissioners is the one who recently said that communities that don’t show enough respect for law enforcement could find themselves without police protection. I don’t mean to be too alarmist, but I don’t think that William Barr is the kind of man who makes idle threats. It is very possible that this commission could lay the groundwork for him to carry that one out.

piratedan  Jan 23, 2020 • 8:56:44am

re: #110 Hecuba’s daughter

I’d point you to Glen Cook’s “The Black Company” series as something that has been completed and extremely satisfying if you’re still looking for Epic fantasy fiction…

Backwoods_Sleuth  Jan 23, 2020 • 8:57:51am
Khal Wimpo (the extinguisher of tiki torches)  Jan 23, 2020 • 9:01:59am

re: #51 Dr Lizardo

Indeed it wasn’t that long ago at all. Well within my lifetime of 50 years.

Yeah, I was there from ‘89 on. Saw the state go from the birthplace of the anti-tax rebellion in Orange County and San Diego (remember Pete Wilson was the hard-right race-baiting mayor of San Diego before he signed on to Prop 187), to the true-blue bete noire of ignorant conservatives everywhere.

I’ve had conversations with angry relatives here in the midwest since I’ve moved - they’re all convinced that California is bankrupt hellhole. I tell them that the state has been running a multi-billion budget surplus, and is banking all that coinage away for a rainy day.

Stops them in their tracks.

Jay C  Jan 23, 2020 • 9:02:46am

and the target is reacting as one would expect:

Well, if Trump thinks, after all this, that Mike Bloomberg is just going to fold up and scuttle off if he doesn’t actually get the (D) nomination, he (Trump) is as delusional or gaslighting as with everything else.
For one, a billion dollars is only about 2% of Bloomberg’s fortune. And probably a hell of a lot more liquid than Donnie’s dodgy real-estate “empire”.
For two, Mayor Mike is (at bottom) as big an egomaniac asshole as Donald Trump, if not bigger: the main difference is that Bloomberg has never made that his principal public persona, and can keep it in check when need be (as in for politics).
And for three: Mike has already said he is going to keep financing Dem campaigns: and I’m sure he isn’t going to go back on that commitment because of insulting tweets from The Orange Anus….

FormerDirtDart 🍕🐀  Jan 23, 2020 • 9:08:50am
lizardofid  Jan 23, 2020 • 9:09:06am

re: #118 i(m)p(each)sos

ITV was the third (well, actually second).

The BBC added a second channel, BBC2, in the early 1960s.

Channel 4 arrived, as noted earlier, in 1984.

Got it. Makes sense, I was over for most of 1980. I remember the rescue attempt in Iran was about that time.

Backwoods_Sleuth  Jan 23, 2020 • 9:09:36am
Backwoods_Sleuth  Jan 23, 2020 • 9:12:09am
Hecuba's daughter  Jan 23, 2020 • 9:13:22am

re: #146 piratedan

Thank you for the recommendation.

TBH — My preference is science fiction, not fantasy — and I’m not a fan of military stories. For years, my niece and her husband tried to persuade me to read GOT, but it was the first few episodes of the TV series that finally convinced me to check out the novels. The non-fantasy parts of the story engaged my interest.

makeitstop  Jan 23, 2020 • 9:16:48am

re: #149 Jay C

Like the man said - Trump’s net worth amounts to a rounding error in Bloomberg World.

Joe Bacon 🌹  Jan 23, 2020 • 9:17:44am

re: #150 FormerDirtDart 🍕🐀

William Lewis  Jan 23, 2020 • 9:18:03am

re: #154 Hecuba’s daughter

Thank you for the recommendation.

Ah, then may I ask if you have read the Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMasters Bujold? Run, do not walk, to your preferred library or bookstore and grab Cordelia’s Honor if you haven’t.

piratedan  Jan 23, 2020 • 9:20:26am

re: #157 William Lewis

agreed, she is an exemplary story teller imho, those novels are simply fantastic.

sagehen  Jan 23, 2020 • 9:22:52am

Bloomberg knows media — he’s built a company worth 50 billion dollars by knowing it. He’s done great with his gun control and climate change work. And if it ends up costing him a billion to get Trump out… that’s less than he would pay under Elizabeth Warren’s proposed wealth tax.

Just for fun, let’s replay what Bloomberg said about Trump at the 2016 DNC, when he endorsed Clinton.

Watch Michael Bloomberg’s full speech at the 2016 Democratic National Convention

Belafon  Jan 23, 2020 • 9:23:48am

For all of you William Gibson fans, his new book, Agency, is out. It’s the sequel to The Peripheral.

Eclectic Cyborg  Jan 23, 2020 • 9:24:30am

Also, I don’t recall Obama withholding aid from countries who refused to investigate Mitt Romney.

BigPapa  Jan 23, 2020 • 9:28:19am

It’s official: I have the WuTang Virus and it is Teh Suck. Got the tissues stuffed in my fissures to keep the goo at bay. So you’re stuck with me all day.

Khal Wimpo (the extinguisher of tiki torches)  Jan 23, 2020 • 9:28:54am

re: #146 piratedan

I got into that after reading his hardboiled fantasy detective series - sort of Raymond Chandler, but with elves, dragons & vampires.

I think this began as a kind of lark, but it found some traction in the market, and then Cook really went to town on it.
Hecuba's daughter  Jan 23, 2020 • 9:29:25am

re: #157 William Lewis

Will try it out! But only after I finish A Very Stable Genius.

Sigh. I am sitting on about 30 works of non-fiction on my book shelves, but they always remain either partially read or totally unread, including Maddow’s Blowout, Ron Chernow’s Grant, and Farrow’s War on Peace.

Eclectic Cyborg  Jan 23, 2020 • 9:31:10am

re: #157 William Lewis

For some odd reason, my brain parsed that as “The Volkswagen Saga”.

piratedan  Jan 23, 2020 • 9:31:53am

re: #163 Khal Wimpo (the extinguisher of tiki torches)

agreed, his Garrett detective series is something I’ve come to classify as fantasy noir… :-) Also very fun reads that can be a great diversion, I tend to re-read them once every couple of years… unsure if we’ll ever see a new one in the series.

Khal Wimpo (the extinguisher of tiki torches)  Jan 23, 2020 • 9:33:09am

re: #157 William Lewis

Always wondered how to pronounce that name. Is it:

Vohr-ko-SEE-gan

-or-

Vohr-KOSS-i-gan

?

Dread Pirate  Jan 23, 2020 • 9:34:46am
Khal Wimpo (the extinguisher of tiki torches)  Jan 23, 2020 • 9:35:30am

re: #166 piratedan

I lost track of it after “Deadly Quicksilver Lies” TBH. Didn’t realize he had kept churning out metal-title-themed books for another six volumes.

piratedan  Jan 23, 2020 • 9:36:37am

re: #167 Khal Wimpo (the extinguisher of tiki torches)

I’ve always read it in my mind as your first option, now that I see it, I wonder if the 2nd isn’t the right one :-)

piratedan  Jan 23, 2020 • 9:40:12am

re: #169 Khal Wimpo (the extinguisher of tiki torches)

I think you’ll like the latter ones as well, He starts to actually show some signs of maturity and self reflection. As the times in his city change, so does he…Big difference in tone throughout each series…. as the Black Company has some lighter moments, the Garrett series has a much larger element of fun worked into its main character, they’re still detective stories, but the characters byplay/dialogue is a lot more light-hearted.

A very fun sets of reads from Mr. Cook, really versatile to have two incredibly distinctive series and his catalog of other works is pretty impressive with Dread Empire, Star-Fishers, Instrumentatlities and assorted stand-alones.

FormerDirtDart 🍕🐀  Jan 23, 2020 • 9:42:07am

more info

FormerDirtDart 🍕🐀  Jan 23, 2020 • 9:53:28am

re: #176 FormerDirtDart 🍕🐀

more info

LeftyRambles2413 (HappyWarrior)  Jan 23, 2020 • 9:54:30am

re: #161 Eclectic Cyborg

Yeah imagine if Obama had gotten Germany to investigate Romney in return for aid and then characterized his conversation with Merkel as “perfect.”

Dr Lizardo  Jan 23, 2020 • 9:59:56am

re: #176 FormerDirtDart 🍕🐀

Looks like he’ll have more to cry about.

Good.

FormerDirtDart 🍕🐀  Jan 23, 2020 • 10:06:56am

So, if anytone remembers, this guy showed up for a Coast Guard graduation ceremony and got caught in a vehicle check.
His ‘illegal’ rifle was an AK modified for full-auto fire.
Served 5 years in Marines, as an Infantryman and Marine Corps security force guard (whole lot of dynamic weapons training here)

Eclectic Cyborg  Jan 23, 2020 • 10:07:54am

re: #180 FormerDirtDart 🍕🐀

He seems nice.

FormerDirtDart 🍕🐀  Jan 23, 2020 • 10:08:46am
sagehen  Jan 23, 2020 • 10:08:53am

re: #173 Dread Pirate

cool

now I want to write fan fiction about the brief, passionate relationship of that pairing.

makeitstop  Jan 23, 2020 • 10:09:14am

That ruling about senators being able to read classified materials is going to be yet another problem for Grift, Inc.

LeftyRambles2413 (HappyWarrior)  Jan 23, 2020 • 10:09:31am

re: #182 FormerDirtDart 🍕🐀

He was always so professional in moderating the debates.

BigPapa  Jan 23, 2020 • 10:10:52am

Jim Lehrer was an OG journalist. He had a great run.

LeftyRambles2413 (HappyWarrior)  Jan 23, 2020 • 10:12:49am

re: #186 BigPapa

Jim Lehrer was an OG journalist. He had a great run.

I couldn’t tell who he preferred in debates. He was such a nice contrast from the FNC hacks. Always professional

jaunte  Jan 23, 2020 • 10:18:20am
makeitstop  Jan 23, 2020 • 10:19:04am

Well, here’s some happy news…. ////

retired cynic  Jan 23, 2020 • 10:21:10am

Greg Sargent makes an argument that the Republicans will not vote to allow witnesses, because what comes in the future in the way of additional revelations, is less bad than taking the flack for blocking evidence now.

washingtonpost.com

FormerDirtDart 🍕🐀  Jan 23, 2020 • 10:21:50am
makeitstop  Jan 23, 2020 • 10:23:03am

re: #191 FormerDirtDart 🍕🐀

White House liaison Eric Ueland just walked by a pen of reporters and said “I can’t wait for the revenge.”

Sounds like a threat.

LeftyRambles2413 (HappyWarrior)  Jan 23, 2020 • 10:23:58am

re: #191 FormerDirtDart 🍕🐀

Do your best jackass, we’ve been dealing with your tantrums since Nixon rightfully had to go.

Dread Pirate  Jan 23, 2020 • 10:25:04am
jaunte  Jan 23, 2020 • 10:26:50am

re: #191 FormerDirtDart 🍕🐀

Looks like someone with a rich fantasy revenge life.
politico.com

LeftyRambles2413 (HappyWarrior)  Jan 23, 2020 • 10:27:04am

Well I’m off to see 1917.

Jay C  Jan 23, 2020 • 10:30:08am

re: #190 retired cynic

washingtonpost.com

Sorry to carp, but that link gets hung up in the WaPo paywall…
Wouldn’t it be likelier to be the other way round? That more revelations (no matter how much the GOP are going to ignore/disparage/deny them) are just going to make the Senate (and House) look worse for trying to cover them up now?

lawhawk  Jan 23, 2020 • 10:30:29am

re: #194 Dread Pirate

But the WHO doesn’t consider this a global threat at present.

The key word doing the heavy lifting: at present.

If China can’t contain the spread, it will quickly turn into a global concern.

Dr Lizardo  Jan 23, 2020 • 10:32:37am

re: #194 Dread Pirate

There have been officially 18 deaths and 644 cases (more or less). And they’re putting cities with populations in the millions under de facto quarantine?

This sets off alarm bells…..I’ve heard of an “overabundance of caution”, but this would seem to take the cake, to put it mildly.

retired cynic  Jan 23, 2020 • 10:32:57am

re: #197 Jay C

Sorry to carp, but that link gets hung up in the WaPo paywall…

Sorry. I usually strip that out, but got lazy. Try this.

washingtonpost.com

Backwoods_Sleuth  Jan 23, 2020 • 10:34:48am

re: #167 Khal Wimpo (the extinguisher of tiki torches)

Always wondered how to pronounce that name. Is it:

Vohr-ko-SEE-gan

-or-

Vohr-KOSS-i-gan

?

How To Pronounce Vorkosigan

goddamnedfrank  Jan 23, 2020 • 10:36:18am

re: #199 Dr Lizardo

It’s also probably close to the worst possible goddamned timing because Chinese New Year celebrations take place in two days.

Dangerman (slowly converting a pool into a pond)  Jan 23, 2020 • 10:40:59am

Nadler laying out the ABCs of impeachment

Abuse
Betrayal
Corruption

retired cynic  Jan 23, 2020 • 10:41:15am

Nadler is doing a good job. Brick after brick.

makeitstop  Jan 23, 2020 • 10:41:16am

The damage being done…

Belafon  Jan 23, 2020 • 10:42:53am

re: #205 makeitstop

The damage being done…

What’s in the picture?

Eclectic Cyborg  Jan 23, 2020 • 10:44:08am

re: #199 Dr Lizardo

China got embarrassed pretty badly by it’s nowhere near in adequate response to SARS about 15 years ago. Seems the Chinese are in no mood to be embarrassed again and so are being very proactive about trying to stop this thing quickly.

Although, the dark side of me thinks that this virus would be a very convenient excuse for an extended government crackdown in certain areas.

Dr Lizardo  Jan 23, 2020 • 10:44:47am

re: #202 goddamnedfrank

That’s true…Chinese New Year is basically the biggest annual human migration in the world. It makes the Hajj look like a block party.

But I can’t shake the nagging suspicion that numbers are being under-reported, most likely to avoid an all-out panic and simply because it’s Beijing’s nature to minimize bad news. Maybe it’s because I’ve lived here in this former Communist country and have heard countless stories from my older students who recalled the previous Communist government doing very much the same.

makeitstop  Jan 23, 2020 • 10:46:11am

What’s in the picture?

Approval ratings of vulnerable senators.

Approve/Disapprove:
Collins - 42/52
Ernst - 37/42
Gardner - 37/40
McSally - 37/40
Tillis - 34/37

Dr Lizardo  Jan 23, 2020 • 10:47:41am

Well, time to call it a day. Up early for work tomorrow. Have a good one, Lizards.

A hollow voice says, Guilty, guilty, guilty!  Jan 23, 2020 • 10:47:51am

re: #145 retired cynic

Something sneaking in while we are watching impeachment:

The Attorney General Lays the Groundwork to Carry Out His Threat
by Nancy LeTourneau, Wash. Monthly

The police are mostly the responsibility of states, not the federal government.

Eventual Carrion  Jan 23, 2020 • 10:49:28am

re: #191 FormerDirtDart 🍕🐀

Neither can we Spanky, neither can we.

Disloyal Archangel  Jan 23, 2020 • 10:52:22am

Back from the post office and rather irritated. An order I made for two packages of some top quality coffee from the other side of the globe finally arrived today after being shipped out on December 4, 2019 (originally ordered two weeks earlier, but that’s what the shipping stamp says). On opening the box, I find that one package has a “best before” date for October 2020 - but the other, to my surprise, is “best before November 10, 2019”…

Now I know it’s coffee and that in sealed conditions it’s supposed to be fine past its “best before” date for as much as six months, but still: they knew it’d be a month-long delivery, and it was past the date for nearly a month before they even shipped it.
What do you folks think, should I make a fuss or let it slide?

sagehen  Jan 23, 2020 • 10:53:05am

re: #211 A hollow voice says, Guilty, guilty, guilty!

The police are mostly the responsibility of states, not the federal government.

They get a lot of federal money, if and when Washington is pleased with them.

lawhawk  Jan 23, 2020 • 10:54:24am

re: #213 Disloyal Archangel

That’s something to consider should you decide to buy from them again.

Backwoods_Sleuth  Jan 23, 2020 • 10:55:00am

re: #213 Disloyal Archangel

Back from the post office and rather irritated. An order I made for two packages of some top quality coffee from the other side of the globe finally arrived today after being shipped out on December 4, 2019 (ordered two weeks earlier, but that’s what the shipping stamp says). On opening the box, I find that one package has a “best before” date for October 2020 - but the other, to my surprise, is “best before November 10, 2019”…

What do you folks think, should I make a fuss or let it slide?

definitely make a fuss

Jay C  Jan 23, 2020 • 11:03:35am

re: #200 retired cynic

OK: must have been ‘cuz I was trying to link on my tablet - when I opened it on my laptop (w/WaPo subscription stored) it read fine.

I’m still not sure I quite agree with Sargent’s take, but thanks.

Michele: Out of the closet, Into the fire  Jan 23, 2020 • 11:07:26am

re: #213 Disloyal Archangel

What do you folks think, should I make a fuss or let it slide?

Take a picture of the expired coffee showing the date and ask their sales dept. for a replacement package. Worst they can do is refuse your request. Worth a shot at least.

Shiplord Kirel, Friend of Moose and Squirrel  Jan 23, 2020 • 11:59:53am

re: #173 Dread Pirate

cool

When I was a kid, practically every text-book discussion of atoms started out with something like, “Nobody has ever seen an atom, but we know they are there.” Now we have this.

It’s all true. The world moves on, human progress is real, the arc of the universe bends toward justice.
When angry old doofi talk about how much better things used to be, they are really talking about how much better they used to be.
I am not quite ready to wind up my endeavors in this world, but there are no guarantees at age 70 1/2. If I run out of time later today, I am still glad I have lived long enough to see all that I have seen and to learn all that I have learned.

BigPapa  Jan 23, 2020 • 12:45:52pm

re: #213 Disloyal Archangel

This won’t help you with your current situation but if peope want real Kona coffee at a decent price, buy direct from the locals.

Here’s the KonaWeb cam in case you want to see Kona. I sold them that camera few years ago.

Free 30 Days of Archived Montreux Concerts on FilmMontreux Jazz Festival would like to bring a little magic into your home! We have made over 50 Festival concerts available to stream for free.The opening page explains it all. No CC crap. Free. No strings. Uninterrupted and did I ...
Mescalero09
2 minutes ago
Splendid Isolation - Warren ZevonSplendid Isolation - Warren Zevon
FBI Statement Regarding March 24, 2020 Incident in Belton, Mo. - Lee’s Summit Tribune KANSAS CITY, Mo. – On March 24, 2020, the FBI executed a probable cause arrest of Timothy Wilson, 36, at the 100th block of Wilbur Parish Circle, Belton, Mo, at the conclusion of a long-running domestic terrorism investigation. While ...
Bright Eyes - Persona Non Grata (Official Visualizer) "Persona Non Grata” by Bright Eyes out now on Dead Oceans.Stream/buy - ffm.to ******* Produced by: Bright EyesEngineered by: Mike MogisAssistant Engineer: Adam RobertsMixed by: Mike MogisMastered by: Bob LudwigLyrics: Conor OberstWriters / Composers: Conor Oberst Publishing: Written by ...
A Compline Prayer For those of us who follow traditions that include the daily offices, Compline is the last service of the day, right before going to sleep for the night. It gives a moment to pause and reflect upon the day ...
William Lewis
5 days ago
#Thegreatpoolpondconversion - 200322This was another weekend that doesn't look like much in pictures. We made a cutout in the stock tank for the spillway slab.It weighs 55 pounds. We spent some time figuring how to balance it properly and get a nice ...
I Don’t Take Responsibility At All (dangerman)
5 days, 1 hour ago
Betrayal-Why Did Trump Believe Chinese Disinformation Instead of US Intelligence? ...This criticism contains an element of truth. As The Wall Street Journal reported in early March, the Chinese government lied about the threat posed by COVID-19 and the coronavirus’s transmissibility to humans, and dragged its feet in informing the ...
Rightwingconspirator
Ozarks Season 3 - Starts Friday Official Trailer for Ozark Season 3. All new episodes arrive on Netflix March 27, 2020. They are all in. The Byrdes are back in business and the stakes have never been higher. As tensions mount surrounding their new casino, ...
Nothing but Thieves - Is Everybody Going Crazy? (Lyric Video) Nothing But Thieves - Is Everybody Going Crazy (Official Lyric Video) Listen to IEGC? here: nbthiev.esSpotify: nbthiev.esApple Music: nbthiev.esItunes: nbthiev.esYouTube Music: nbthiev.esAmazon Music: nbthiev.esDeezer: nbthiev.es Click here to subscribe :: smarturl.it Follow NBT on Socials: Facebook: nbthiev.esTwitter: nbthiev.esInstagram: nbthiev.esSpotify: ...
Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day - I Think We’re Alone Now (Cover) Dear friends.. While we’ve all been in quarantine I’ve been reflecting on the things that matter the most in my life. Family, friends and of course music. I recorded a cover of Tommy James and the shondells “I think ...