Teddy's Person  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:01:03pm
b.d. (Is Rush Dead Yet?)  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:01:56pm

BERNIE TOTALLY WON THIS DEBATE!!!

Charles Johnson  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:05:30pm
Charles Johnson  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:09:24pm

A little surprised to hear Bernie opening with a message about staying united no matter who’s nominated.

LeftyRambles2413 (HappyWarrior)  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:12:31pm

I just hope he means it and encourages his supporters to do that.

Disloyal Archangel  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:13:16pm

While probably buried beneath the abominable behavior by Darth Orange, this should really be a bigger news item:

RawStory: Trump’s trade war is making American family incomes decrease by $1,277 a year: government report

The CBO, a nonpartisan congressional research arm, projected that the tariffs imposed by the Trump administration and retaliatory tariffs imposed by countries like China will reduce economic growth while increasing prices to consumers.

“Tariffs are expected to reduce the level of real GDP by roughly 0.5 percent and raise consumer prices by 0.5 percent in 2020. As a result, tariffs are also projected to reduce average real household income by $1,277 (in 2019 dollars) in 2020,” the report said. The figure is more than double the $580 projection in last year’s CBO report.

By comparison, the median American household pays about $2,000 in federal income taxes, meaning the trade war effectively amounts to a tax hike of more than 60%.

Every single Democratic candidate for office - any office - should be running ads on how “Trump taxes are costing you thousands of hard-earned dollars”…

b.d. (Is Rush Dead Yet?)  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:14:02pm

Me too, good for him. I am assuming he knew it was going to be asked of him but smart of him to take the topic.

LeftyRambles2413 (HappyWarrior)  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:14:52pm

re: #7 b.d. (Is Rush Dead Yet?)

Ditto

Yeah Sure WhatEVs  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:16:38pm

Bernie won or came close to winning IA.

This is about him.

Skip Intro  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:16:49pm

If Biden says “my friends on the other side of the asile” again the TV is going out the window.

Teddy's Person  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:17:56pm

Mike Esper’s head will be the next one to end up on a pike.

“We protect all of our persons, service members, from retribution or anything like that. We’ve already addressed that in policy and other means,” Esper told reporters at the Pentagon during a press conference with his Colombian counterpart. Source: The Hill

Susan Collins expresses deep concern.

Charles Johnson  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:18:12pm
BeachDem  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:18:31pm

I just don’t know how I’ll cope with 4 years of Bernie wagging his finger and screaming if he wins. (among other problems I have with Bernie)

Skip Intro  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:19:17pm

re: #13 BeachDem

I doubt that will be a problem. Him winning that is.

Disloyal Archangel  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:19:28pm

re: #13 BeachDem

It’ll be easier to cope with than another Trump term.
And even easier than that with a blue House and Senate.

b.d. (Is Rush Dead Yet?)  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:20:02pm

Biden needs to go and have a beer with Jeb Bush

BeachDem  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:20:48pm

re: #15 Disloyal Archangel

It’ll be easier to cope with than another Trump term.
And even easier than that with a blue House and Senate.

Well, certainly. I just find him so shouty and annoying.

LeftyRambles2413 (HappyWarrior)  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:21:01pm

re: #14 Skip Intro

I doubt that will be a problem. Him winning that is.

Yeah I think he’s an oops researcher’s dream.

Barefoot Grin  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:21:13pm

My night so far: I cooked dinner for the family because my wife works late on Friday and had to pick up son from an after-school coding class he’s taking. Son says he needs to go to an emergency session for his robotics team because they missed sessions at school due to weather (no big deal, it’s a 10 minute drive). I drop him off, then stop by the Shell station to get a couple of big Stella Artois to sip on while opining with you guys. I say to the guy at the register “how’s it going?” “Another day in paradise,” he responds. Then I’m about to get out and it seems he remembers he’s supposed to push the Shell Points Credit Card. I hear him out and say “thanks.” Jump in the car (that my wife had been driving) and push the CD button.

And the Stones “When the Whip Comes Down” comes on. I’m not surprised because I know my wife has been getting into the Stones lately. But it sends me immediately back to freshman year of high school. My life was like “Dazed and Confused.” My middle bro was a senior. He wanted to ignore me, but his friends took me under their wings. I was just transported. The beautiful intertwined guitars of Keith and Ron. The sexism that made me as a kid just entering puberty feel like I had some special knowledge that of course I didn’t. “Some Girls” is so wrong in so many ways, but I love it so much.

b.d. (Is Rush Dead Yet?)  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:21:45pm

re: #13 BeachDem

If he wins then hopefully he’ll be wagging his finger and screaming at Republicans.

Hecuba's daughter  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:22:16pm

re: #15 Disloyal Archangel

It’ll be easier to cope with than another Trump term.
And even easier than that with a blue House and Senate.

The question is whether with Bernie as the nominee whether we can retake the Senate and keep the House. With the venom being displayed among the candidates, I worry whether we will succeed in coming together.

The debates need to focus on defeating Trump, not each other.

Dread Pirate  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:22:35pm
LeftyRambles2413 (HappyWarrior)  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:24:25pm

re: #22 Dread Pirate

Explain why his brother was let go, asshole.

BeachDem  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:29:13pm

Great answer Amy.

Teddy's Person  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:30:44pm

Ladies and gentlemen, Trump’s next federal judge nominee:

[Pennsylvania] Judge Mark Tranquilli was suspended after being accused of referring to a black female juror as ‘Aunt Jemima’ repeatedly in comments he made in his chambers following the acquittal of a drug suspect on Jan. 24. Source

LeftyRambles2413 (HappyWarrior)  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:31:16pm

re: #24 BeachDem

Great answer Amy.

I like Amy. Underrated.

b.d. (Is Rush Dead Yet?)  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:31:47pm

A week ago I assumed that Joe was going to win and I’d have to deal with it and all would be fine. Today I don’t think Joe will do it and I now have to rethink heavily my primary choice because it might really matter after all.

Charles Johnson  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:32:02pm
BeachDem  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:33:24pm

Steyer making sense. I was just going to say Bernie says the same thing over and over, but Steyer said it better.

sagehen  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:33:24pm

Not even Bernie?

Don't Blame Me, I Voted for Kodos  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:34:14pm

Hatred, no, but I got a lot of antipathy towards Bernie.

Teddy's Person  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:35:57pm

Andrew Yang is both sidering this bitch. I want a Dem to say the disease is the Republican Party wants wealth and power at any cost.

LeftyRambles2413 (HappyWarrior)  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:37:08pm

re: #32 Teddy’s Person

That he’s here and Beto, Kamala, Cory, Julian, & Kirsten aren’t. Sigh. And I’m sympathetic to UBI

Sherlock Hound  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:37:18pm

re: #31 Don’t Blame Me, I Voted for Kodos

Hatred, no, but I got a lot of antipathy towards Bernie.

I can’t stand Bernie’s voice, or his wagging finger. Not watching.

BeachDem  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:39:04pm

re: #33 LeftyRambles2413 (HappyWarrior)

And he’s in so far over his head when they talk about anything other than UBI it’s not even funny.

Charles Johnson  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:39:28pm

I do like some less than others, though.

Teddy's Person  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:40:13pm

Andrew Yang: We can’t set the precedent of holding presidents accountable. We must not look back but forward. Dude is awful.

LeftyRambles2413 (HappyWarrior)  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:40:29pm

re: #35 BeachDem

Yeah at the most I’d put him in charge of a treasury dept agency.

Don't Blame Me, I Voted for Kodos  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:40:30pm

I would go a step further than what Warren is advocating about reopening investigation of Donald Trump on Day One of new administration. In a proper world, we will see FBI and/or other law enforcement standing next to the rostrum at the inauguration with handcuffs in hand ready to slap them on the instant that Trump becomes ex-President.

LeftyRambles2413 (HappyWarrior)  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:41:01pm

re: #37 Teddy’s Person

Dude is an idiot if that’s what he wants to argue.

BeachDem  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:41:15pm

re: #38 LeftyRambles2413 (HappyWarrior)

Yeah at the most I’d put him in charge of a treasury dept agency.

I’d send him home, tell him to buy shirts that fit him, and hope to never hear from him again.

Teddy's Person  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:42:07pm

Good on Mayor Pete. It’s not about a Biden.

Barefoot Grin  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:42:25pm

I mentioned before listening to Pod Save America where they interviewed Yang supporters in Iowa. 3 of 4 said they were Trump-hating Republicans who would nonetheless vote for Trump if Yang didn’t get the nomination.

Don't Blame Me, I Voted for Kodos  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:44:22pm

Good moment by Joe Biden regarding Vindman

Charles Johnson  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:44:34pm
BeachDem  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:44:40pm

What a stupid question—Amy, was Hillary right about Bernie being hard to work with? Amy’s doing well with it, but still an ignorant question.

Teddy's Person  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:45:15pm

Now we’re wasting time talking about Hillary dissing Bernie.

b.d. (Is Rush Dead Yet?)  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:45:30pm

This debate is surprisingly good, I think Pete is making the most out of it so far.

BeachDem  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:49:14pm

Oh good, now David Muir is reading Trump quotes. Arggghhh

Teddy's Person  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:49:38pm

re: #49 BeachDem

Oh good, now David Muir is reading Trump quotes. Arggghhh

I switched channels.

Teddy's Person  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:50:52pm

JFC, I want these people to die in prison.

Charles Johnson  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:51:12pm

Buttigieg tends to say a lot of words that don’t add up to much.

LeftyRambles2413 (HappyWarrior)  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:52:41pm

re: #51 Teddy’s Person

JFC, I want these people to die in prison.

Don Jr really is such a punk ass. Ukraine, if you’re listening, release the tape of him fucking a goat.//

Hecuba's daughter  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:52:45pm

My sister complained about Steyer’s performance in the prior debate (which I did not watch) but he seems very compelling today. Although he has no experience, my guess is that he would assemble an effective administration, but it’s hard to see how he, or any of these Democrats, can manage to defeat Trump if the economy remains strong. Trump has a skill in managing to take credit for the accomplishments of others and demeaning better men and women.

Teddy's Person  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:55:05pm

re: #54 Hecuba’s daughter

And the press is all to eager to assist him with that task.

Teddy's Person  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:57:58pm

Mike Pence is so worried about his head ending up on a pike, he doesn’t even know what the fuck he’s saying.

LeftyRambles2413 (HappyWarrior)  Feb 7, 2020 • 5:59:38pm

re: #56 Teddy’s Person

I really wish Pence would just go rapture himself. It’s what his sick fantasy wants for the rest of us.

BeachDem  Feb 7, 2020 • 6:00:43pm

re: #57 LeftyRambles2413 (HappyWarrior)

I really wish Pence woulid just go rapture himself.

Rapture, rupture—whatever works.

Teddy's Person  Feb 7, 2020 • 6:01:06pm

re: #57 LeftyRambles2413 (HappyWarrior)

I really wish Pence would just go rapture himself.

In a normal timeline, you’d just assume that he misspoke and meant Democratic Speaker of the House. But in this timeline, all bets are off.

BeachDem  Feb 7, 2020 • 6:01:33pm

So, no Yang foreign policy ideas? Hmmmmm

LeftyRambles2413 (HappyWarrior)  Feb 7, 2020 • 6:02:04pm

re: #59 Teddy’s Person

Yeah. Given all the threats. I’m not giving him a bod.

b.d. (Is Rush Dead Yet?)  Feb 7, 2020 • 6:02:41pm

re: #56 Teddy’s Person

He’s obvious nervous because there is one of them woman things close to him and Mother isn’t around.

Shiplord Kirel, Friend of Moose and Squirrel  Feb 7, 2020 • 6:03:55pm

“shitbadger” Heehee!

Don't Blame Me, I Voted for Kodos  Feb 7, 2020 • 6:04:20pm

re: #56 Teddy’s Person

Pence just letting his inner dictator out again. After all, who needs a legislature when you are absolute ruler?

BeachDem  Feb 7, 2020 • 6:06:36pm

Andrew kicking up his foot and thinking, “Please don’t call on me, teacher. I didn’t get to that foreign policy chapter yet in the book.”

BeachDem  Feb 7, 2020 • 6:17:16pm

And Yang finally gets a question…and answers a completely different question.

sagehen  Feb 7, 2020 • 6:18:55pm

Amy is still impressing me. I’m utterly baffled why her support is barely half of any of the top 3.

BeachDem  Feb 7, 2020 • 6:19:56pm

re: #67 sagehen

I don’t get it either. I find her very impressive.

BeachDem  Feb 7, 2020 • 6:23:16pm

One of my pet issues for the past several years that they never seem to even ask about when they talk about opioids and addiction is why is the US one of only two countries in the world that allows Direct-to-consumer drug advertising. Why are we ok with drug companies spending more on advertising than R&D?

Citizen K  Feb 7, 2020 • 6:25:43pm

re: #67 sagehen

re: #68 BeachDem

I don’t get it either. I find her very impressive.

Answer in bold.

BeachDem  Feb 7, 2020 • 6:26:13pm

And David Muir is back to quoting Trump (with incorrect #s)

sagehen  Feb 7, 2020 • 6:27:22pm

re: #70 Citizen K

Answer in bold.

Elizabeth Warren is equally female. Why does she have twice as much support as Amy?

bratwurst  Feb 7, 2020 • 6:27:50pm

You know what would help Biden’s constant case for owning Obama’s legacy?

An endorsement from Obama.

The fact he hasn’t gotten it says something to me.

jaunte  Feb 7, 2020 • 6:29:49pm
Don't Blame Me, I Voted for Kodos  Feb 7, 2020 • 6:31:10pm

re: #73 bratwurst

You know what would help Biden’s constant case for owning Obama’s legacy?

An endorsement from Obama.

The fact he hasn’t gotten it says something to me.

Not really here, because President Obama specifically said that he would not involve himself in primaries out of respect for all candidates.

BeachDem  Feb 7, 2020 • 6:32:46pm

What—did Trump hand David Muir some talking points to help him with his questions? Sad when George is asking the best questions.

Hecuba's daughter  Feb 7, 2020 • 6:35:14pm

re: #68 BeachDem

I don’t get it either. I find her very impressive.

She’s a female senator from a smallish state who doesn’t have dramatic plans for handling any of the crises facing us. She is solid, intelligent, and moderate. She doesn’t attract the progressives who are the most enthusiastic supporters of candidates. Michael Bennett is also a thoughtful knowledgeable candidate who has gotten no traction.

BeachDem  Feb 7, 2020 • 6:36:42pm

I don’t really want his as president, but Steyer is doing very well at cutting through the bullshit of some of the stupid questions.

Interesting Times  Feb 7, 2020 • 6:36:53pm

Of all the tweets I’ve seen on Mango Mussolini vs Vindman, this one is the best:

Belafon  Feb 7, 2020 • 6:39:06pm

re: #72 sagehen

And yet not enough for the news to report on her.

bratwurst  Feb 7, 2020 • 6:39:41pm

re: #75 Don’t Blame Me, I Voted for Kodos

The point I am making is that if Biden were as essential to the Obama legacy as Joe claims, I think the former president would have more respect for him than the other candidates.

I totally get why Obama doesn’t want to endorse anyone. I just feel like Biden’s case is weakened because of it.

Don't Blame Me, I Voted for Kodos  Feb 7, 2020 • 6:41:23pm

re: #79 Interesting Times

“Mango Mussolini” - hmm. I still prefer my monker from 2016.

All of the fascism. More than twice the racism.
BeachDem  Feb 7, 2020 • 6:42:00pm

JFC—Yang is worse than Bernie about $ solves racism. Go home, Andrew. You’re out of your league.

FormerDirtDart 🍕🐀 No Capt'n😷Trips  Feb 7, 2020 • 6:45:02pm

re: #82 Don’t Blame Me, I Voted for Kodos

b.d. (Is Rush Dead Yet?)  Feb 7, 2020 • 6:45:19pm

Well, that makes 2 of them…

BeachDem  Feb 7, 2020 • 6:45:21pm

Bernie channeling Trump “most people don’t know this.”

Charles Johnson  Feb 7, 2020 • 6:46:51pm
BeachDem  Feb 7, 2020 • 6:48:09pm

Oooh—quoting a Nina Turner op-ed and asking Bernie about it. Of course, he does a quick pivot…

#thegreatpoolpondconversion (dangerman)  Feb 7, 2020 • 6:49:14pm

Vindman out
Sondland out
And this

Dave In Austin  Feb 7, 2020 • 6:50:20pm

Y’all might hate me but if Biden gets out, I’m all in on Bloomberg.

There, I said it. I don’t like it but it is what it is.

FormerDirtDart 🍕🐀 No Capt'n😷Trips  Feb 7, 2020 • 6:50:53pm

People are saying it’s the greatest tan in the history of the republic

jaunte  Feb 7, 2020 • 6:51:51pm

Dementia bronzing color: The Sunsetter.

BeachDem  Feb 7, 2020 • 6:54:42pm

I think Yang’s circuits just crashed. He is just awful.

Belafon  Feb 7, 2020 • 6:54:53pm

re: #90 Dave In Austin

Y’all might hate me but if Biden gets out, I’m all in on Bloomberg.

There, I said it. I don’t like it but it is what it is.

Warren’s still my top pick of the remaining candidates.

BeachDem  Feb 7, 2020 • 6:58:20pm

Warren’s still my top pick of the remaining candidates.

Sending a little $ to Elizabeth and Amy tonight.

BeachDem  Feb 7, 2020 • 6:59:55pm

And there it is—Bernie talking about Pete’s billionaires. (But note, Bernie not talking about the dark money coming his way through Our Revolution)

Don't Blame Me, I Voted for Kodos  Feb 7, 2020 • 7:01:54pm

Bernie pisses me off about his claims on only taking money from individuals giving small amounts, when the FEC has specifically noted that he is second only to Donald Trump on the amount of PAC “Dark Money” contributed to his campaign - to the tune of over $12Million.

Dread Pirate  Feb 7, 2020 • 7:02:48pm
GlutenFreeJesus  Feb 7, 2020 • 7:07:49pm

Such desperate times. Wonder if Bernie would take the VP spot with the eventual nominee. Also wonder if that would get his supporters to turn against him.

b.d. (Is Rush Dead Yet?)  Feb 7, 2020 • 7:08:29pm

Steyer is really pitching for a job in a Sanders administration.

Eclectic Cyborg  Feb 7, 2020 • 7:08:37pm

re: #89 #thegreatpoolpondconversion (dangerman)

Vindman out
Sondland out
And this

jaunte  Feb 7, 2020 • 7:10:26pm
FormerDirtDart 🍕🐀 No Capt'n😷Trips  Feb 7, 2020 • 7:13:02pm
BeachDem  Feb 7, 2020 • 7:15:05pm

An Elizabeth commercial—wonder if it’s national or just local. (good one—comparing her background to trump’s and using the “when someone shows you who they are” quote)

William Lewis  Feb 7, 2020 • 7:19:46pm

re: #90 Dave In Austin

Y’all might hate me but if Biden gets out, I’m all in on Bloomberg.

There, I said it. I don’t like it but it is what it is.

I can understand that. I’d rather him than Bernie or Yang! And I’d have to think carefully between him and Biden myself.

FormerDirtDart 🍕🐀 No Capt'n😷Trips  Feb 7, 2020 • 7:23:05pm
bratwurst  Feb 7, 2020 • 7:24:27pm

I could be very wrong (as I was in predicting the demise of Trump starting when he first shat on McCain and going from there), but I do not think anyone is going to have to worry about Biden as an option by the this time next month. There’s no money there.

BeachDem  Feb 7, 2020 • 7:24:50pm

Did my Amy and Elizabeth donations—like to do them during the debate, as I think the campaigns really like that. (And I must not be the only one because ActBlue was kinda slow)

jaunte  Feb 7, 2020 • 7:25:57pm

I miss Kamala Harris.

BeachDem  Feb 7, 2020 • 7:27:04pm

I miss Kamala Harris.

Me too.

Interesting Times  Feb 7, 2020 • 7:29:05pm

o_O

jaunte  Feb 7, 2020 • 7:29:24pm
BigPapa  Feb 7, 2020 • 7:30:01pm

I miss Kamala Harris.

My Khaleesi.

FormerDirtDart 🍕🐀 No Capt'n😷Trips  Feb 7, 2020 • 7:34:15pm
GlutenFreeJesus  Feb 7, 2020 • 7:35:15pm

Yang was so nervous. Bernie a one trick pony. Biden looked tired. Amy did great I thought. Elizabeth was awesome as always. Pete has some good points. Steyer did too. It was a good debate.

jaunte  Feb 7, 2020 • 7:36:23pm

Has Yang ever explained how his guaranteed minimum income doesn’t kill all other programs that provide some kind of support to the poor?

Chrysicat  Feb 7, 2020 • 7:38:45pm
calochortus  Feb 7, 2020 • 7:39:16pm

re: #115 GlutenFreeJesus

Thanks for the summary. I just couldn’t.

jaunte  Feb 7, 2020 • 7:41:01pm
Chrysicat  Feb 7, 2020 • 7:41:24pm

No, and it’s unlikely he’d do so because I’ll lay money he plans to.

BTW, my parents are gifting me over 1k a month now and I’m barely able to pay down 200 excess dollars of debt a month, while I haven’t been capable of even buying anything entertainment-wise other than a couple small subscriptions to pre-existing games since 2017. So 12k a year will go nowhere as a guaranteed basic income especially if it allows more businesses to totally automate.

calochortus  Feb 7, 2020 • 7:41:26pm

I think it’s supposed to replace the other programs. It strikes me as inflationary if he also gives me that $1000 too because I’m not wondering where my next meal/next month’s rent is coming from, so it’s just a bit of a leg up for me in any bidding wars.

jaunte  Feb 7, 2020 • 7:42:42pm

re: #121 calochortus

So if that’s the case, it seems like it would be a reduction in income for a lot of disabled people.

calochortus  Feb 7, 2020 • 7:45:15pm

I think you could opt out of the $1000 and keep your other benefits, but I suspect that would lead to the reduction of the other programs, so, not really a great plan.

Chrysicat  Feb 7, 2020 • 7:47:07pm

sagehen  Feb 7, 2020 • 7:47:22pm

I first heard of UBI when I took Econ 101 (in the late 70’s). That was sort of the whole idea behind it.

Automation wasn’t such a big deal back then, inequality wasn’t even close to what it is now. The rationale for UBI was that it would entirely eliminate any need for minimum wage, food stamps, disability benefits. All those legislative debates over how much aid is proper, or the criteria to qualify, would be moot. The agencies that verify eligibility and process the payments, could be shut down.

And the single-employer mining towns or factory towns that depopulate when the one industry shuts down… people could stay, unemployable (for educational or physical reasons, or taking care of their elderly parents) people who can’t afford a big city could move to those towns where cost of living in really low… and then those towns would need schoolteachers and grocery stores and craft supply or outdoor equipment stores, and would be repopulated.

jaunte  Feb 7, 2020 • 7:47:35pm

I do think Amy Klobuchar could knock Trump out in a debate.

Belafon  Feb 7, 2020 • 7:47:36pm

re: #121 calochortus

The first rule of equality: If you deny something to any one group, it can be taken from others.

You have to give this to everyone, otherwise it will become real easy to get our middle class to start hating on others. Give me the value when it starts, and subtract it from my salary.

I’m iffy on the implementation in this country that is shitty at taking care of its citizens, but I personally think if it were implemented properly we could have a lot more people able to take care of themselves and those around them, and people wouldn’t be taking jobs they really don’t want just because.

jaunte  Feb 7, 2020 • 7:48:53pm

re: #125 sagehen

It is an attractive idea, but it has ‘unforeseen knock-on effects’ signs all over it.

jaunte  Feb 7, 2020 • 7:50:55pm
FormerDirtDart 🍕🐀 No Capt'n😷Trips  Feb 7, 2020 • 7:51:59pm
Chrysicat  Feb 7, 2020 • 7:54:05pm

Your last sentence explains why it would be virtually impossible to enact. Just about every Republican, and enough Democrats to make it difficult, believes that people have a moral obligation to spend at least 5 years (and in some cases on the R side, the belief runs up to a whole pre-retirement lifetime) working jobs they don’t want–in the Rs’ case in particular, because they read their Bible to say their G*D expressly directed things to go that way to add extra pain to every human life after Adam.

That was particularly true before automation; with it, you’d think the calculus might change, but I’m not totally confident it will anytime before I turn 60.

Semper Fi  Feb 7, 2020 • 7:54:22pm

Can’t hardly tell which one is “Wilson”

BeachDem  Feb 7, 2020 • 7:55:59pm

re: #117 Chrysicat

Harpootlian was at one time (actually, two different times) the SC Dem Chairman. He has been known for years for his outrageous comments on any number of subjects. He is currently a state senator, and is still known for saying outrageous shit.

Chrysicat  Feb 7, 2020 • 7:57:40pm
retired cynic  Feb 7, 2020 • 7:57:45pm

re: #133 BeachDem

You are the one to know and to explain it to us! I have never heard of him, and appreciate your knowledge.

Joe Bacon 🌹  Feb 7, 2020 • 7:58:13pm

re: #125 sagehen

When I was an Econ major at Pitt in the 70’s the disciples of Milton Friedman pushed his “negative income tax” that would give everyone a minimum income of $1,000 a year. McGovern ran on the negative income tax. Nixon’s stooge John Connolly running the sham Democrats for Nixon in 1972 tore McGovern to pieces over that.

Yang needs to read up on history to see how Republicans would kill him over that!

jaunte  Feb 7, 2020 • 8:03:52pm

re: #136 Joe Bacon 🌹

Inflation calculator says an item purchased for $1,000 in 1975 would cost $4,752 today.

FormerDirtDart 🍕🐀 No Capt'n😷Trips  Feb 7, 2020 • 8:06:09pm
BeachDem  Feb 7, 2020 • 8:18:34pm

re: #135 retired cynic

Answered on the next thread

uriel  Feb 7, 2020 • 8:47:16pm

re: #98 Dread Pirate

Well, I guess it’s good to know that someone else beat me to it before putting any effort on my own version.

Still, I feel like it would have been my opus…

uriel  Feb 7, 2020 • 8:59:58pm

re: #111 Interesting Times

o_O

You want real lunacy? Read the comments.

FFL (GOP Delenda Est)  Feb 8, 2020 • 5:08:25am

re: #53 LeftyRambles2413 (HappyWarrior)

If the Ukraine really wanted to troll the Trump family they’d announce that they were investigating a claim that Don Jr asked them to find a sexy goat for himself.

FFL (GOP Delenda Est)  Feb 8, 2020 • 5:16:34am

re: #114 FormerDirtDart 🍕🐀 No Capt’n😷Trips

Nope. A democratic candidate writing off a Midwest state like that is not a good move. Shows defeatism at an early stage in the campaign, goes against the concept of running Democratic candidates in every state, and sends a signal to the nearby states that they probably aren’t important too. (And which plays right into GOP propaganda that said candidate is “not interested in the Heartland.)

FFL (GOP Delenda Est)  Feb 8, 2020 • 5:21:18am

re: #138 FormerDirtDart 🍕🐀 No Capt’n😷Trips

Iraq considers deepening military ties with Russia - via AP/US News

Well, if you’re gonna be someone’s proxy you might as well go with the country with the best reputation for having proxies…
////

Backwoods_Sleuth  Feb 8, 2020 • 10:40:46am

re: #141 uriel

You want real lunacy? Read the comments.

and totally shopped because no way is his hair that thick

#Thegreatpoolpondconversion - 200216This is last week’s update. Just as well because this was a lull week due to no liner yet, still bailing, and some poorly timed rain. We're happy that there's no more heavy sand lifting, and even if the liner ...
#thegreatpoolpondconversion (dangerman)
Man Man - Cloud Nein [LYRIC VIDEO] "Cloud Nein" from Man Man's album 'Dream Hunting in the Valley of the In-Between' (Release Date: May 1, 2020)smarturl.it Man Man manmanband.comInstagram - @manmanbandband @HonusHonus FaceBook - facebook.com VIDEO CREDITS Director: Ryan Kattner Video Production House: Pootie's Onions Editor: ...
All Time Low: Some Kind of Disaster [OFFICIAL VIDEO] All Time Low's official music video for 'Some Kind Of Disaster' from their upcoming album Wake Up, Sunshine - available everywhere April 3rd via Fueled By Ramen. fbr.lnk.to Listen to 'Some King Of Disaster' here: atl.lnk.to Follow All Time ...
1 week, 1 day ago
I Am There for You - Huey Lewis Provided to YouTube by BMG Rights Management (US) LLC I Am There For You · Huey Lewis & The News Weather ℗ 2019 NEW HULEX, LLC under exclusive license to BMG Rights Management (US) LLC Drums, Percussion: Bill GibsonBackground ...
1 week, 1 day ago
#Thegreatpoolpondconversion - 200209The the last six months or so was “sand, sandbags, pounding, sand, sand, sand”... it was by far the most physically grueling (54,000 pounds of sand we moved - just the two of us), and the longest on the timeline. ...
#thegreatpoolpondconversion (dangerman)
2 weeks ago
AP VoteCast: NH Democrats Angry, Seek Alternative to Trump While everyone does the usual horse race comparisons as if NH results really matter, this journalist focuses on the essential. WASHINGTON (AP) — Democratic voters in Tuesday’s New Hampshire primary were angry at President Donald Trump’s administration and eager ...
2 weeks, 1 day ago
Views: 1,143 • Comments: 0 • Rating: 2
James Taylor - American Standard: Teach Me Tonight (Official Music Video) Order James Taylor’s upcoming album American Standard here: found.ee Written in 1954, “Teach Me Tonight" has become a jazz standard and been covered dozens of times. Dinah Washington’s version, an R&B hit in 1954, was inducted into the GRAMMY ...
2 weeks, 1 day ago
Views: 1,191 • Comments: 0 • Rating: 1
Oh Wonder - in and Out of Love (Official Video) 'In And Out Of Love from the upcoming album ‘No One Else Can Wear Your Crown’, out 7th February 2020. Pre-order the album on signed vinyl, CD and cassette - ohwonder.lnk.to Tickets for Oh Wonder's 2020 World Tour are ...
2 weeks, 2 days ago
Views: 1,123 • Comments: 0 • Rating: 0
Summertime - Billy Strings & Marcus King A pair of today's best performing a timeless tune! Billy Strings and Marcus King play "Summertime" live at Carter Vintage Guitars in Nashville, TN. Billy is playing a '36 000-28 and Marcus is playing a '54 Telecaster cartervintage.combillystrings.commarcuskingband.com ...
2 weeks, 2 days ago
Views: 1,251 • Comments: 0 • Rating: 0
ANNA MEREDITH - Sawbones Sawbones is taken from Anna Meredith's latest album FIBS: smarturl.it Anna and band announce a US tour for 2020 amidst a sell-out run in the UK. Get tickets for all shows at annameredith.com FEBRUARY5 - London, EartH [SOLD OUT]6 ...
2 weeks, 2 days ago