Bleachers Live: “Don’t Go Dark”

Music • Views: 15,361

YouTube

Bleachers - Don’t Go Dark (Live)
Take The Sadness Out Of Saturday Night // The New Album Out Now!
Listen Here // smarturl.it

‘Take The Sadness Out Of Saturday Night’ Tour - Tickets now on sale // bleachersmusic.com

Watch more from BLEACHERS ON THE ROOF - Live at Electric Lady //

Directed by Bill Benz
Director of Photography - Minka Farthing Kohl
Gaffer - Omar Nasr
AC - Jasmine Chang

____

“Don’t Go Dark”

what are you gonna ride for no one at all?
hey are you gonna cry on demand just to get your number called?
oh baby i know gone i know gone i know out of this world
‘cause i’ve slept in my bed alone next to my girl
so do what you want just don’t go dark on me

‘cause you run run run
run with the wild
then you cry on my shoulder like a little child
do what you want just don’t go dark on me
and you’re waitin’ to be saved but ain’t nobody comin’
it’s the same party trick you’re a dream until you’re running
do what you want just don’t go dark on me

run run run
run with the wild
you always run run run
run with the wild

i dream a little dream she’s not out of it
then i watch her take another pill, take another pic, then flip another switch
and now she’s gone now she’s gone she’s out of this world
it’s like california dreamin’ got the best of my girl
so do what you want just take your sights off of me

‘cause you run run run
run with the wild
then you cry on my shoulder like a little child
do what you want just don’t go dark on me
and you’re watin’ to be saved but ain’t nobody comin’
if you’re holdin’ on to me you’re holdin’ on to nothing
do what you want just don’t go dark on me
well just don’t go dark on me

run run run
run with the wild
you always run run run
run with the wild

you know all this time apart, i finally see it honey

you’ve just been waiting your whole life to find someone who will stand in your storm
well i stood there and something was missing
i still see you honey babe but it ain’t me that you’ll be kissin’

‘cause you run run run
run with the devil
then you cry on my shoulder like i’m forever
do what you want just don’t go dark on me
and you keep playin to that chip, chip on your shoulder
yeah you carry that around it’s like tryna get to nowhere
do what you want just don’t go dark on me
just don’t go dark on me

run run run
run with the wild

just don’t go dark on me baby

#bleachers #dontgodark #bleacherslive

Decatur Deb  Sep 11, 2021 • 8:56:54pm

Re PA;

A simple leak or running problem would be specific to one plant. These are all across the state. Guessing it’s just a preparedness notion gone bad. They probably stocked a shitton of potassium since Three Mile Island.

Eric The Fruit Bat  Sep 11, 2021 • 8:58:41pm

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

Dave In Austin  Sep 11, 2021 • 8:58:50pm

re: #1 Decatur Deb

Re PA;

A simple leak or running problem would be specific to one plant. These are all across the state. Probably a preparedness notion gone bad. They probably stocked a shitton of potassium since Three Mile Island.

It idiot will take is for Covid. Mark my words on this.

Teukka  Sep 11, 2021 • 9:02:16pm

re: #3 Dave In Austin

It idiot will take is for Covid. Mark my words on this.

I concur. Only a matter of time. OTOH, will produce better results than horse paste…
I’ll show myself out…

GlutenFreeJesus  Sep 11, 2021 • 9:08:19pm

This poor guy ended up dying after a cardiac episode and 43 hospitals in the region turned him away.

montgomeryadvertiser.com

A Cranky One  Sep 11, 2021 • 9:13:11pm

re: #1 Decatur Deb

Re PA;

If it’s statewide, I suspect you are correct.

retired cynic  Sep 11, 2021 • 9:14:27pm

re: #5 GlutenFreeJesus

I can’t read that. It is just too horrible.

Dr Lizardo  Sep 11, 2021 • 9:18:38pm
A Maryland man and now-former judge killed himself just as FBI agents were closing in on him outside his home on Friday morning.

Jonathan G. Newell, 50, was wanted on suspicion of sexually exploiting several children. On Thursday, federal charges were filed against him in Maryland. The next day, Newell was found dead.

“This morning agents with the Federal Bureau of Investigation went to the residence of Jonathan Newell, age 50, of Henderson, Maryland, to arrest him on a federal criminal complaint filed on September 9, 2021,” the U.S. Department of Justice noted in a statement late Friday. “Upon entering the residence the agents found Newell suffering from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound. He was pronounced dead at 6:43 a.m. Maryland State Police will lead the investigation into the apparent suicide.”

At the end of the article, it’s noted:

Newell, a Republican, was appointed to the bench in August 2016 by Gov. Larry Hogan (R) after previously serving for 13 years as the elected state’s attorney for Caroline County.

lawandcrime.com

Yet another Republican pedophile. GOP: Grand Old Party Gross Old Pedophiles.

Belafon  Sep 11, 2021 • 9:29:08pm

A high school classmate put this up on facebook:

Hecuba's daughter  Sep 11, 2021 • 9:32:24pm

re: #8 Dr Lizardo

At the end of the article, it’s noted:

lawandcrime.com

Yet another Republican pedophile. GOP: Grand Old Party Gross Old Pedophiles.

The ones that have gotten most press lately are Republicans but my guess is that there are Democrats who are similarly guilty. Mel Reynolds was a rising star in the Democratic party until he was charged with a relationship with an underage campaign worker.

electrotek  Sep 11, 2021 • 9:37:33pm

A couple of questions about 9/11 that I have been meaning to ask but couldn’t until now:

1) Why was the use of air tankers/water bombers not considered to mitigate the temperatures after the impact?

2) Why weren’t H-47 Chinooks been dispatched to land on top of the towers to evacuate those that couldn’t escape below?

JOE 🥓  Sep 11, 2021 • 9:38:07pm

A high school classmate put this up on facebook:

Well I don’t see Little Green Footballs posted there but I do think they correctly posted Jimmy Dore and his Soul Brother Alex Jones!

Dread Pirate Ron  Sep 11, 2021 • 9:39:36pm

I have a hard time staying in the middle of a 5 foot wide footbridge. I’d never be able to ride this without falling off.

ckkatz  Sep 11, 2021 • 9:53:50pm

I was curious about the Pa Dept of Health distributing Potassium Iodide tablets. Apparently this is not a new thing -

An article dating from 2011
stateimpact.npr.org

One from 2019
wfmj.com

And a 2020 article about the Pa DOH announcing the cancelling of the 2020 KI disbursement

timesonline.com

darthstar  Sep 11, 2021 • 9:55:58pm

Fleur.

Last night on Kauai…went to Happy Talk at the Hanalei Bay Resort for last night happy hour and dinner - still our favorite place to stay on the island (Hello…swim-up bar and great views). But having a house a block away from the beach hasn’t sucked. Finally got some waves in the bay today so we were able to surf here in the morning and again just now before sunset.

HBR view mentioned above…sunsets are almost always spectacular and the morning rainbows over Puff’s nose are forever etched in my memory:

sagehen  Sep 11, 2021 • 10:00:27pm

re: #11 electrotek

2) Fire creates its own wind patterns, which aren’t predictable; there were people on the roof hoping for helicopter evacuation, but it just wasn’t doable. There weren’t big flat spaces on the roof; there was the radio towers, the observation deck with barriers and windscreens, etc. It would have meant hovering the chopper while someone came down on ropes to put harnesses on people, and there’s just no safe hovering over a fire like that. It would have meant more crashes into more buildings and the street…

darthstar  Sep 11, 2021 • 10:01:37pm

Haven’t heard about any right wing radio dick jockeys getting covid and dying for a few days…did they all get scared and get the shot and start wearing masks or something?

piratedan  Sep 11, 2021 • 10:11:54pm

re: #11 electrotek

I think i can answer #1 to an extent… if you can believe the chain of events in the film United 93… the amount of coordination between the military and the FAA was muddled at best… they were busy getting flights down as they dealt with the crisis…. they were only able to scamble four fighters and couldn’t even get the ok to shoot because Bush was doing the photo op that day… great in theory but no one was prepared for this and clear thinking and accurate info was in short supply.

electrotek  Sep 11, 2021 • 10:14:03pm

re: #16 sagehen

After looking at the photos of the North tower once again, the amount of smoke that literally covered the roof would not have been feasible to rescue those trapped.

Makes me wish hovercraft technology in sci-fi films existed 20 years ago to evacuate those trapped above the impact.

electrotek  Sep 11, 2021 • 10:15:26pm

re: #18 piratedan

An opportunity lost if that was the case.

I wonder if the use of water bombers were employed to drop water or other fire-retardant material over the towers that the fires may have been able to be put out, thus saving not only the towers but the thousands of people trapped?

Jack Burton, Gunner on Death Star of David  Sep 11, 2021 • 10:18:06pm

re: #17 darthstar

I did hear (from somewhere I can’t remember, but I think it was MSNBC) from some pundits stating that they believed that the Delta Wave would start to plateau in the middle of September and then drop simply because of running out of idiots willing to do dumb things in large enough numbers. I don’t think that’s taking all the states forcing kids to go to school in person with no masks into account though.

GlutenFreeJesus  Sep 11, 2021 • 10:19:41pm

I’ve said, even way before 9/11, that if I ever worked in a high rise, I’d bring a parachute.

Dread Pirate Ron  Sep 11, 2021 • 10:20:23pm

re: #20 electrotek

An opportunity lost if that was the case.

The roof wasn’t on fire so dropping water on the roof would be of little use.

darthstar  Sep 11, 2021 • 10:22:37pm

Friend of mine on facebook just posted, “Okay, who the fuck sent this to me?” - no…it wasn’t me.

Jack Burton, Gunner on Death Star of David  Sep 11, 2021 • 10:22:46pm

re: #21 Jack Burton, Gunner on Death Star of David

Oh and football… I forgot about the idiots second religion.

darthstar  Sep 11, 2021 • 10:23:50pm

re: #21 Jack Burton, Gunner on Death Star of David

Cull the herd and the healing will begin.

A Cranky One  Sep 11, 2021 • 10:29:36pm

re: #20 electrotek

An opportunity lost if that was the case.

I don’t think there was enough time to deploy such resources. In addition, other buildings would have made such attempts extremely dangerous.

Then there is the question of how people would have reacted to large aircraft flying in close proximity to other buildings.

JOE 🥓  Sep 11, 2021 • 10:29:49pm

When a friend sends you this and you’re looking for Donald Duck…

darthstar  Sep 11, 2021 • 10:36:28pm

re: #28 JOE 🥓

When a friend sends you this and you’re looking for Donald Duck…

I’d pay to see this movie.

piratedan  Sep 11, 2021 • 10:37:01pm

re: #20 electrotek

Disagree… 9/11 illustrated that no one was prepared for an attack like this…. if we couldn’t scramble fighter planes in a timely manner coordinating fire fighting with the NYFD is a pipe dream…. NYFD didn’t even authorize evaccing the WTC until way too lste.

That day was chaotic and a tragedy not gonna try and wouldda couldda shoulda the responses and decisions made in that chaos

Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus  Sep 11, 2021 • 10:37:11pm

It’s far too generous, as far as factuality, to many outlets.

electrotek  Sep 11, 2021 • 10:38:20pm

re: #30 piratedan

Good point.

darthstar  Sep 11, 2021 • 10:42:21pm

re: #24 darthstar

Okay…now I have to order one of these.

Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus  Sep 11, 2021 • 10:58:19pm

MST2.021k Iceland edition:

Who needs subtitles?
electrotek  Sep 11, 2021 • 11:02:14pm

re: #27 A Cranky One

It just hit me that I had unwillingly made a Trumpian suggestion, along the same lines as dropping water on the burning Notre Dame.

plansbandc  Sep 11, 2021 • 11:03:45pm
electrotek  Sep 11, 2021 • 11:04:05pm

Another thing I also wonder is if anti-Muslim attitudes would have been short-lived had there been not a single terrorist attack after 9/11?

Can’t help but to imagine how different the timeline would be if that was the last terrorist attack occurred since.

Cheechako  Sep 11, 2021 • 11:06:12pm

re: #11 electrotek

Retired wildland fire-fighter here.

Question 1) In September all the air tankers are normally working in the western US. The largest air tanker (converted 747) carries around 19,000 gallons of retardant. It’s impossible to drop that quantity of retardant all at once on such a small target as a burning building. Air tankers are meant to discharge a measured amount of retardant in a long line. A large helicopter can carry around 2,000 gallons so would not very effective for dropping on a burning building. Also, capable helicopters would be fighting fires in the West

Question 2) As someone else mentioned, there would be too much garbage on the roof of the towers to get anyway near close enough for such a rescue operation. Again, there are not many of the large sized helicopters near enough to NYC to be available on such short notice.

BeachDem  Sep 11, 2021 • 11:16:23pm

Obama about Bill Russell’s second hall of fame induction (this one as a coach)

“Bill Russell, perhaps more than anyone else, knows what it takes to win and what it takes to lead,” Obama said. “That’s always been true off the court as well. As I mentioned when I gave him the Medal of Freedom [in 2011], this is a man who marched with Dr. [Martin Luther] King and stood by Muhammad Ali. He endured insults and vandalism, but never stopped speaking up for what was right … I could not be more honored to celebrate Bill Russell for the way he played, the way he coached, the way he led and the way he lives his life. Because as tall as Bill Russell stands, his example and his legacy rise far, far higher.”

Beautiful.

ericblair  Sep 11, 2021 • 11:30:12pm

re: #30 piratedan

If you want cooperation like this between different forces, you have to commit to it and prepare for it years in advance. Communications, logistics, and especially processes and procedures have to be developed together, and each of the forces will need to give up some of their flexibility for the good of all. It’s hard to justify all this and keep justifying it for years when nothing’s happening.

Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus  Sep 11, 2021 • 11:37:42pm

As I’ve noted before, the Fagradalsfjall volcano has been a boon to drone videographers, and the past couple of months have seen a some first class artists making videos about this volcano. Here I embed two such videos from today.

First is a video from today that puts to music, effectively, drone footage from 9 September, a full week after the last eruption. The cone is cooling down, outgassing and cracking and crumbling. But there are good angles looking south into Geldingadalir valley, showing it (and the adjacent Syðri Meradalir valley) over run by lava. The creator near the end interweaves similar drone footage from a recent eruption very smoothly for contrast:

IS ICELAND VOLCANO DEAD? JOURNEY WITH A TWIST! WHAT A SPECTACULLAR ADVENTURE!-Sep 9, 2021

However, on the 11th the volcano woke up again. This time it was different though. Whether by rubble accumulating in the cone, or due to a small local earthquake that some standing on the hillsides felt, the lava appears to be coming out of the north wall of the cone. Not just to the outside of the cone, but filling the cone inside too.

The following videographer captures this very well - one can see the lava gushing from the interior wall and forming the pool inside:

Iceland Volcano update September 11 drone footage

These stunning videos really are spectacular and I doubt we’ll be satisfied in the future for other volcanos if they are not as well documented.

Dread Pirate Ron  Sep 12, 2021 • 12:29:10am
Teukka  Sep 12, 2021 • 1:01:42am

OMG the groups I’m in over at Facebook.. 🤣
So, one of the grammar Nazi groups have noted that the Satanic Temple may join a lawsuit for free abortion in Texas, and it provokes their curiosity, but not because of what you may think, but because their legal representation would in that case would literarly be…
* The Devils Advocate
* Advocatus diaboli
(thread over there ongoing 🤣🤣🤣🤣)

Teukka  Sep 12, 2021 • 1:22:41am

In other news, Sweden had a 2.7 at 01:28 local tonight. 19 km deep just south of Övre Bäck in Västerbotten.

Sources:
svt.se
snsn.se

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Sep 12, 2021 • 1:23:04am

re: #43 Teukka

I joined a FB Grammar Nazi group once but they took down so many of my posts for so many nitpicking reasons that I quit the group. They really were humorless and sanctimonious.

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Sep 12, 2021 • 1:34:17am

re: #43 Teukka

OMG the groups I’m in over at Facebook.. 🤣
* The Devils Advocate
* Advocatus diaboli
(thread over there ongoing 🤣🤣🤣🤣)

Better call Sheol?

Teukka  Sep 12, 2021 • 1:36:54am

re: #46 Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))

Better call Sheol?

Stole that one, and created subthread for potential titles for future fictionalizations of the events…. 🤣

Teukka  Sep 12, 2021 • 1:39:56am

TIL:
ABBA is the only palindromic act to have a palindromic hit (SOS) in a palindromic music genre (pop).

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Sep 12, 2021 • 1:48:59am

re: #48 Teukka

TIL:

Bad Company is the only band to have a single, Bad Company from their first album, Bad Company

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Sep 12, 2021 • 1:49:57am

If a Donald Trump Jr started a band he could call it “Dad Company”

Dread Pirate Ron  Sep 12, 2021 • 1:59:30am

Beware the ‘rona fart. thread

Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))  Sep 12, 2021 • 2:02:10am

re: #51 Dread Pirate Ron

Beware the ‘rona fart. thread

I only crap outdoors

Dr Lizardo  Sep 12, 2021 • 2:14:07am

re: #52 Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))

I only crap outdoors

Found the bear.

Or as an acquaintance of mine once put it, “Are bears Catholic? Does the Pope shit in the woods?”

Decatur Deb  Sep 12, 2021 • 2:31:00am

re: #51 Dread Pirate Ron

Beware the ‘rona fart. thread

Imagining the poor intern who drew that assignment.

Decatur Deb  Sep 12, 2021 • 2:32:30am

The quality of responses seems unusually high tonight. Possibly means my head is clearing surprisingly post-antibody treatment.

Dr Lizardo  Sep 12, 2021 • 3:17:27am

Looks like England has ditched its vaccine passport plans….

A scheme for vaccine passports for entry to nightclubs and large events in England will not go ahead, the health secretary has said.

Sajid Javid told the BBC: “We shouldn’t be doing things for the sake of it.”

He said the government had looked at the evidence, adding: “I’m pleased to say we will not be going ahead.”

It was thought the plan, which came under criticism from venues and some MPs, would be introduced at the end of this month.

Under the scheme, members of the public would have been required to show proof they have had two doses of a Covid-19 vaccine in order to gain entry to clubs and other crowded events.

The Night Time Industries Association said the plans could have crippled the industry and seen nightclubs facing discrimination cases.

There was also opposition from Tory MPs on the Covid Recovery Group and the Liberal Democrats, whose leader Ed Davey, described them as “divisive, unworkable and expensive”.

bbc.co.uk?

I’ll bet they ditched it simply because BoJo’s government was facing a parliamentary defeat and a major embarrassment.

Dread Pirate Ron  Sep 12, 2021 • 3:30:27am
Decatur Deb  Sep 12, 2021 • 3:35:06am

re: #57 Dread Pirate Ron

Our big camping trip was planned in anticipation of Canada re-opening to the US. It did, but their testing requirements made it unworkable. We decided to just wave across the border at Presque Isle and Bar Harbor ME, but our breakthrough infections killed the whole enterprise.

FFL (GOP Delenda Est)  Sep 12, 2021 • 4:09:38am

A high school classmate put this up on facebook:

What this misses is the unseen editorial impact of the decision of what story even gets reported and makes it onto the wire, screen, website, etc.

Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus  Sep 12, 2021 • 4:38:47am

According to the seismometers the latest Fagradalsfjall eruption is still going strong after 24 hours, after being thought dead for 10 days.

However, the remnant of Larry has reached Iceland and all is awash in rain, so the video streams are useless (and I fear none of the drone owners will be out to capture.) And the atmosphere models indicate that the circus train of low pressure systems that dance around the arctic will be vigorous for weeks.

However, same models show the US being above normal temps for much of the rest of September. All you in the middle of the country are going to see some high temperatures, especially today.

Eric The Fruit Bat  Sep 12, 2021 • 4:39:26am

Snow Leopards are tres k3wl. Find the Snow Leopards!

FFL (GOP Delenda Est)  Sep 12, 2021 • 4:57:09am

re: #61 Eric The Fruit Bat

Snow Leopards are tres k3wl. Find the Snow Leopards!

Dangerman  Sep 12, 2021 • 4:58:12am

re: #61 Eric The Fruit Bat

Snow Leopards are tres k3wl. Find the Snow Leopards!

Inside the cave

Decatur Deb  Sep 12, 2021 • 5:04:09am

re: #61 Eric The Fruit Bat

Snow Leopards are tres k3wl. Find the Snow Leopards!

They’ll eat your face.

jeffreyw  Sep 12, 2021 • 5:32:00am

Good morning!

jeffreyw  Sep 12, 2021 • 5:35:50am

Good morning!

Dangerman  Sep 12, 2021 • 6:29:16am

WAKE UP SAILORS, SCURVY IS A HOAX

From the same site that brought you Wendy Molyneux’s fricative laden post a day or two ago

Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus  Sep 12, 2021 • 6:38:09am

Clipped from one of GutnTog’s videos this morning:

The Thinking Man

Contemplating the ultimate demise of our planet when it will all burn as the sun reaches its maximum size?

PhillyPretzel  Sep 12, 2021 • 6:42:46am

For some reason I can only use the buttons in Spy Mode. Anyone else having problems?

The Pie Overlord!  Sep 12, 2021 • 6:51:42am

re: #12 JOE 🥓

They have Wonkette down there with “ultra-liberal conspiracy theories, nonsense & garbage” I mean WTAFITS.

Renaissance_Man  Sep 12, 2021 • 6:52:33am

re: #70 The Pie Overlord!

And CNN and the NYT left of centre. Immediately worthless.

jeffreyw  Sep 12, 2021 • 6:57:25am

re: #69 PhillyPretzel

I logged on the morning and tried to upload a picture and the site would not take it, couldn’t get into the media library, upvoting didn’t work. The site did load a Tweet as per usual. Opened a Chrome window and everything was OK there. I thought maybe there was a corrupted comment, back in FireFox, I loaded the previous post - it was working - came back to this post and things were back to normal.

PhillyPretzel  Sep 12, 2021 • 6:59:49am

re: #72 jeffreyw

I turned off my Mac and then went back in and I still cannot upding in regular mode. I will remain in Spy Mode. Every other site I went to works just fine.

Jay C  Sep 12, 2021 • 7:03:32am

No problems with the site for me on my iPad this morning AFAICT

PhillyPretzel  Sep 12, 2021 • 7:05:07am

re: #74 Jay C

I tried that too. Same thing. I could not upding. As I said I will be in Spy Mode.

FFL (GOP Delenda Est)  Sep 12, 2021 • 7:06:14am

re: #66 jeffreyw

Good morning!

Assassin Bug. One of those insects that simply looks badass and something you’d think twice about picking up.

Assassin Bug Nymph

Their nymphs are pretty badass looking as well.

Belafon  Sep 12, 2021 • 7:06:15am
No Malarkey!  Sep 12, 2021 • 7:06:58am

re: #21 Jack Burton, Gunner on Death Star of David

A judge has affirmed DeathSantis’ mask mandate ban in schools, so we are going to see a mass wave of kids and school employees flooding already overwhelmed Florida hospitals. Florida teachers should go on strike.

The Pie Overlord!  Sep 12, 2021 • 7:16:09am
nines09  Sep 12, 2021 • 7:23:03am

Backwoods_Sleuth  Sep 12, 2021 • 7:29:16am

some of our shiitake logs

ready for picking
PhillyPretzel  Sep 12, 2021 • 7:30:54am

They look delicious. Are you cooking with them or dehydrating them?

Michele: Recovering Social Media Addict  Sep 12, 2021 • 7:32:05am

some of our shiitake logs

So how did the Salmon turn out? Delicious as I expected?

A hollow voice says Vaccinate the world!  Sep 12, 2021 • 7:32:15am

re: #65 jeffreyw

Good morning!

Western good morning!

Teukka  Sep 12, 2021 • 7:32:16am

Patricia Kayden  Sep 12, 2021 • 7:35:04am
Belafon  Sep 12, 2021 • 7:36:54am
Backwoods_Sleuth  Sep 12, 2021 • 7:43:11am

re: #82 PhillyPretzel

They look delicious. Are you cooking with them or dehydrating them?

both

darthstar  Sep 12, 2021 • 7:43:40am

re: #86 Patricia Kayden

The ‘billionaire’ getting booked on Tuesday to call last night’s one minute shitshow with Holyfield - and having time to do it on short notice - shows just how short of cash that piece of shit is. He’ll be doing Cameos by Christmas.

As for the fight - this article in the NY Times covers the back story pretty well. Mix of Coronavirus related cancellations and substitutions. Even Holyfield was a last minute sub. The fight was held in Florida because California refused to sanction it.

Backwoods_Sleuth  Sep 12, 2021 • 7:44:03am

re: #83 Michele: Recovering Social Media Addict

So how did the Salmon turn out? Delicious as I expected?

it was excellent (MrBWS said it needed more mushrooms, lol).
definitely a keeper recipe

Belafon  Sep 12, 2021 • 7:46:12am

It can be done:

Backwoods_Sleuth  Sep 12, 2021 • 7:47:49am
Dangerman  Sep 12, 2021 • 7:50:47am

They don’t have religious objections

They are seeking to use the religious exemption to simply not get vaccinated.

If it wasn’t this they be trying for a medical exemption
but those are case by case
and harder to get and require third party corroboration

Teukka  Sep 12, 2021 • 7:52:03am
Backwoods_Sleuth  Sep 12, 2021 • 7:52:35am
Belafon  Sep 12, 2021 • 7:52:52am
Dr Lizardo  Sep 12, 2021 • 7:54:34am

re: #94 Teukka

“A single death is a tragedy. A million deaths is a statistic.”
- attributed to Josef Stalin

Backwoods_Sleuth  Sep 12, 2021 • 7:54:50am

A hollow voice says Vaccinate the world!  Sep 12, 2021 • 7:55:05am

It can be done:

San Francisco requires everyone to mask when indoors. If you want to eat (or drink) in an indoor venue, you need to show proof of vaccination. It’s not that big a deal, and if it lets us lead more or less “normal” lives, I’m happy to keep it up forever.

Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus  Sep 12, 2021 • 7:58:53am

re: #89 darthstar

The fight was held in Florida because California refused to sanction it.

Once again, Florida allows almost anything.

lawhawk  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:00:34am

re: #11 electrotek

1) there was no way to get the water on the fire interior to the tower, which is where it was raging.
2) The wind conditions were such that it would have been dangerous to attempt a landing on 2WTC. It would have been impossible to land or do rescues from 1WTC due to the antenna. 2WTC had a landing pad, but the winds were too high to attempt landings there.

darthstar  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:03:09am

re: #93 Dangerman

They don’t have religious objections

They are seeking to use the religious exemption to simply not get vaccinated.

If it wasn’t this they be trying for a medical exemption
but those are case by case
and harder to get and require third party corroboration

Would all who refuse to get vaccinated please step into this windowless room to be with like minded people for the next 14 days.

Decatur Deb  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:03:16am

re: #100 Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus

Once again, Florida allows almost anything.

Except Souls-to-Polls.

calochortus  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:04:25am

re: #101 lawhawk

Also 1) Water is heavy. Dropping a bunch on damaged, but occupied buildings in a densely populated area could contribute to building collapse and much additional damage and death. No one knew that the towers would collapse until it happened.

Hecuba's daughter  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:05:09am

re: #103 Decatur Deb

Except Souls-to-Polls.

Or impoverished ex-felons who were granted the right to vote to actually have the right to vote.

Dr. Matt  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:05:19am

PhillyPretzel  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:05:53am

re: #106 Dr. Matt

lol.

Dr. Matt  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:07:59am

Good lawd, Donnie gave an interview to SMOTI: rawstory.com

🤡 meet 🤡

Decatur Deb  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:12:10am

re: #108 Dr. Matt

Good lawd, Donnie gave an interview to SMOTI: rawstory.com

🤡 meet 🤡

For services rendered. A couple more SMOTIs, and Trump would have closed the gap.

Backwoods_Sleuth  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:12:48am
darthstar  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:12:58am

Non-recyclable plastic is actually recyclable…if you melt it down, mix it with sand, and shape it into a brick.

Nojay UK  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:13:47am

re: #104 calochortus

Also 1) Water is heavy.

A lot of people, too many people perhaps, get their ideas of how things behave in the real world from teevee shows and the movies. Cars do not explode, people with serious gunshot wounds do not explain things to the hero with a grimace, spaceships don’t have engines that run all the time, there is no sound in space etc.

Sure, in Towering Inferno they pulled off some hairsbreadth escapes with ziplines, in Gravity they played orbital ping-pong with assorted space stations, the A-team never hurt anyone. These are what we call in the business, “rigged demos”.

PhillyPretzel  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:14:14am

re: #111 darthstar

That is neat. It is a great idea.

darthstar  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:14:18am

He’s still that hard up for money.

JOE 🥓  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:15:14am

re: #100 Love-Child of Cassandra and Sisyphus

Once again, Florida allows almost anything.

Except denying 1 million plus felons the right to vote unless they pay an illegal poll tax which was upheld by the corrupted Supreme Court.

Backwoods_Sleuth  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:15:24am
darthstar  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:15:57am

re: #113 PhillyPretzel

That is neat. It is a great idea.

Almost free materials cost, too. Certainly one could do that to scale here in the US…fashion it into custom pavers for patios and decks.

PhillyPretzel  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:16:57am

re: #117 darthstar

I am not sure if it already being used in certain types of recycled decking.

Decatur Deb  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:18:24am

re: #117 darthstar

Lowes and HD carry deck 2X8s made of recycled plastic of the milk-jug type. They cost about three times treated pine.
lowes.com

edit for link and price

Nojay UK  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:19:07am

re: #111 darthstar

Nearly all plastic waste is highly flammable. Making a home from these bricks would be like making it out of blocks of coal or wood, a serious fire hazard for anyone living there. They’d be better off burning the plastic waste for heat or to provide steam for generating electricity and not put lives at risk.

Backwoods_Sleuth  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:19:12am
Teukka  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:20:17am

re: #120 Nojay UK

What about decomposing them in supercritical water or something?

JOE 🥓  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:22:12am

re: #112 Nojay UK

May 4, 1988…I remember the real life Towering Inferno in Downtown Los Angeles when the 62 story First Interstate Bank Building caught fire and five stories got burned. I was asleep when this happened. Phone rang and it was my Mom crying on the phone hysterical worried that I was in the tower. Calmed her down, didn’t know what was going down but I opened the door, took a look outside and HOLY FUCK IT’S A REAL LIFE IRWIN ALLEN MOVIE!

Here’s a pic

Technical details of the fire are here:

lafire.com

Backwoods_Sleuth  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:22:29am
lawhawk  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:22:31am
Decatur Deb  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:22:42am

re: #120 Nojay UK

We build houses here from wood and composites—likely far more combustible.

plansbandc  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:27:09am

re: #108 Dr. Matt

Not going near that. My IQ would drop to dangerous levels just reading it.

Teukka  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:28:34am

Future CoViD cluster? 🤔
I mean, count the protesters with masks…

Nojay UK  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:29:15am

re: #126 Decatur Deb

We build houses here from wood and composites—likely far more combustible.

REALLY? Are you CRAZY? Or are you just all suicidal? Is it that Evangelical thing, if the Good Lord didn’t die on it we won’t live in it? that sort of thinking? At least tell me all American homes have fire extinguishers and sprinkler systems fitted, Halon maybe too? Last data centre I worked in still had a functional Halon system and it was concrete and steel everywhere.

Belafon  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:30:41am

re: #129 Nojay UK

You live in a data center?

Michele: Recovering Social Media Addict  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:32:50am

it was excellent (MrBWS said it needed more mushrooms, lol).
definitely a keeper recipe

Guess I’ll need to get a filet out and make it for dinner tonight. :-)

Decatur Deb  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:33:23am

re: #129 Nojay UK

Few homes, mostly apartments, are in sprinklered buildings. Fire alarms are encouraged in new family houses, there is almost no jurisdiction that requires retrofitting. Our fire codes are developed by the NFPA—a voluntary trade (ISO) organization.

You would still build with wood if you hadn’t sent your forests to sea.

danarchy  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:34:00am

re: #129 Nojay UK

Umm…what do you think the lumber industry exists for? And no most homes do not have sprinkler systems. Likely a fire extinguisher or 2 and a fire alarm system. We have more space so one house catching fire isn’t going o cause a situation like the London fire.

PhillyPretzel  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:36:56am

re: #129 Nojay UK

A lot of houses in Philly are made of brick.

Barefoot Grin  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:37:38am

This thread really brings out how fucking crazy things have become since 9/11.

sagehen  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:38:05am

re: #129 Nojay UK

The country of Grenfell Tower doesn’t get to be holier than thou about fire-risk construction codes.

Nojay UK  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:38:11am

You live in a data center?

Occasionally, but not for a while. The Hot-swap Server Rollout From Hell meant a lot of overtime with 24/7 coverage required and as someone who was A) unmarried and B) lived a long way from the data centre in question it was easier for me to stay in-house and crash in a break room rather than drive back and forth while blanking out on the motorway from lack of sleep. I racked up good money from the overtime and banked a LOT of favours. That was a long time ago though.

Decatur Deb  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:39:26am

re: #134 PhillyPretzel

A lot of houses in Philly are made of brick.

There is a big difference in “made of brick” and “brick veneer”. My good older house is brick over 2X4/2X6 lumber and plywood. The roof is asphalt over OSB decking.

Teukka  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:41:02am

Re: Housing, I would have brick or concrete, fire alarm, at least dry risers in the building. Oh, and part of the building would be built to really take punishment.

Dr Lizardo  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:41:18am

re: #128 Teukka

IIRC, that legislation in France was set to automatically expire at the end of November. They put a sunset provision in there to get it past any potential opposition in the French Parliament.

Here in Czech Republic, all COVID-19 measures have a sunset provision of 1 March 2022, and it cannot be renewed. If they need it again, they’ll have to draft entirely new legislation (not that any of it’s really being enforced anyway, when the Czech police president already said, “LOL no we’re not enforcing it.”).

Teukka  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:41:35am
PhillyPretzel  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:42:04am

re: #138 Decatur Deb

I know. I have a brick and stone exterior with wooden supports and flooring in my little house.

darthstar  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:42:48am

re: #135 Barefoot Grin

This thread really brings out how fucking crazy things have become since 9/11.

That graphic doesn’t even include the IMAX theater or the water slide.

Decatur Deb  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:44:27am

re: #139 Teukka

Millions of Americans live in mobile homes made of 3mm aluminum foil sheet over 3cmX4cm pine. A thousand or so in this town live in tents and refrigerator crates.

PhillyPretzel  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:44:35am

Here is home made of brick. en.wikipedia.org

Dopamine Fish  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:46:12am

re: #144 Decatur Deb

In this part of the country, the majority of homes are built of pine, with gypsum drywall interiors and vinyl siding exteriors.

danarchy  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:47:10am

re: #146 Dopamine Fish

I think you just described most of suburbia.

Backwoods_Sleuth  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:47:57am
Decatur Deb  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:47:59am

re: #146 Dopamine Fish

I worked on a hundred of those for Habitat. They all exceeded Southern states code.

Dopamine Fish  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:48:06am

re: #147 danarchy

I think you just described most of suburbia.

I imagine so.

Hecuba's daughter  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:48:15am

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

Nojay UK  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:48:44am

re: #136 sagehen

Grenfell Tower was actually moderately safe from fire until the engineers coated it with flammable plastic because they thought it was a good idea. Building the entire thing out of recycled plastic would have been even more of a disaster, the downwind smoke could have killed thousands.

There’s a move to jacket homes and buildings with insulation in a lot of Western nations, to cut down on heat loss in the winter and reduce the consumption of fossil fuels for home heating. Nearly all of the projects I’ve seen use non-flammable rock-wool materials, the sort of stuff I’ve used in the past as furnace insulation for a workshop forge setup.

I’m sitting in an 1860s stone-built apartment in Edinburgh as I type this. It actually has a lot of wood in its construction for floors, doors etc. but structurally it’s sandstone and granite and yes we do have fire extinguishers (but no sprinklers). Halon, sadly you can’t get the Good Stuff any more for new-build or retrofit.

JOE 🥓  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:49:12am

re: #145 PhillyPretzel

Here is home made of brick. en.wikipedia.org

This is the house that I grew up in. 186 12th St., Ambridge PA. Since the house was seized by Wells Fargo they removed the porch on the side.

google.com

PhillyPretzel  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:49:56am

re: #153 JOE 🥓

Pic?

nines09  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:51:11am

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

JOE 🥓  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:51:57am

re: #154 PhillyPretzel

Pic?

Google link not working?

Decatur Deb  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:52:23am

re: #152 Nojay UK

I worked for years at an explosives facility whose hundreds of buildings were made mostly of asbestos cement. Quite fireproof, and intended to disintegrate benignly in a blast.

darthstar  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:52:32am

re: #144 Decatur Deb

Refrigerator crates aren’t as dangerous as plastic bricks…but in all seriousness, I think what that woman is doing with providing low cost housing materials in Kenya is pretty fucking cool. The only reason we don’t build affordable housing in this country is we like to pretend we don’t have poor people.

PhillyPretzel  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:52:32am

re: #153 JOE 🥓

Joe I am in Spy Mode because the buttons are not working for me. I went to the main site and saw the house.

Teukka  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:53:16am

re: #144 Decatur Deb

re: #146 Dopamine Fish

I know. I just wish that some technique to mass produce more secure homes would be developed or become widely available.

darthstar  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:53:25am

re: #157 Decatur Deb

Benign asbestos dust…beauty.

John Hughes  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:54:07am

121,000 demonstrators.
217,675 vaccines administered.

JOE 🥓  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:56:56am

re: #159 PhillyPretzel

Joe I am in Spu Mode because the buttons are not working for me. I went to the main site and saw the house.

Wanted to make sure the link work even though that Google pic is over 8 years old. Never will forgive Wells Fargo for roping Dad in with 2nd & 3rd mortgages to pay medical bills and when he died they tried to stick me with $250K in mortgage payments. Since I am in California and never signed those documents they can’t touch me but a prick lawyer keeps threatening me that if I set foot in Pennsylvania I will be served with a lien now at $355K.

Anyway when Dad died Wells seized the house and sold it at auction for $67,500 so they lost money on their steal.

Just another reason why I will never set foot in Pennsylvania again.

darthstar  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:57:24am

Old Station, Ca - about 45 miles from where I grew up. Fires got close.

Dr Lizardo  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:57:36am

re: #152 Nojay UK

In California at least, wood-frame construction makes sense because of the high seismic risk (arguably, along the entire West Coast). In the 1933 Long Beach earthquake, unreinforced masonry buildings took the brunt of the damage.

PhillyPretzel  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:58:36am

re: #163 JOE 🥓

I do not blame you one bit.

danarchy  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:59:34am

re: #160 Teukka

Affordable secure housing is good, but seriously, we have been building houses of lumber and drywall for a very long time and we don’t have some sort of epidemic of burning houses. Obviously depending on where you live you should build for local conditions, flooding, storms, wildfires etc.

I mean in tornado alley trailer parks may be the most efficient route because they can be fairly easily replaced. Building structures to survive tornados would be pretty damn expensive unless you go underground.

Decatur Deb  Sep 12, 2021 • 8:59:39am

re: #161 darthstar

Benign asbestos dust…beauty.

As we turned into an R&D/Engineering center, we “de-miled” hundreds of production buildings, often by burning. Meeting New Testament environmental needs was a nightmare. Some of the waste water lines were coated internally with a half-century of explosive residue. The place made cannon balls for Washington.

JOE 🥓  Sep 12, 2021 • 9:00:07am

Ah it’s about 30 days till the rainy season is SUPPOSED to start here in Southern California. Rains used to start around Columbus Day and continue on and off thru April. They barely came last year.

Another thing we note about the first rain of the season…you can sure smell the petroleum in the air from that first rain…

Teukka  Sep 12, 2021 • 9:00:29am
Eric The Fruit Bat  Sep 12, 2021 • 9:02:49am

re: #62 FFL (GOP Delenda Est)

re: #63 Dangerman

Heartless Philistines, the lot of you….. /

Eclectic Cyborg  Sep 12, 2021 • 9:05:01am

I live in an older brick house, which is a good thing to have in hurricane country.

Decatur Deb  Sep 12, 2021 • 9:08:45am

re: #172 Eclectic Cyborg

Modern code here requires resistance to 150 mph. Across the line in FL, it’s 200.

nines09  Sep 12, 2021 • 9:09:29am

re: #144 Decatur Deb

And many are built with no insulation, literally a tin roof and the only thing holding them down are mobile home anchors and straps. I watched people stuff bales of hay under their trailer for insulation. Throw a tire or two up on the roof so it doesn’t rattle. Burn barrel right outside the treated lumber prefab stairs. Doors so thin you could punch through them.
I delivered to manufactured housing for 27 years. Seen the way they cheat on studs, stringers and beams and insulation.
If they can save a nickel, they do it. Roll them out the door, let service straighten it out.

Living large.

Nojay UK  Sep 12, 2021 • 9:09:42am

re: #165 Dr Lizardo

Japan is notoriously earthquake-prone and they used to build in wood a lot until the USAAF began loading up their B-29s with 4-lb incendiaries “until the tires squeaked” and started delivering billets d’amour on a regular schedule to Tokyo, Yokohama, Osaka and other points of interest. The Great Kanto Earthquake in 1923 wrecked most of the new-fangled brick buildings in the capital but a lot of the wooden infrastructure caught fire as well. In light of those events concrete became Japan’s national flower post-war.

The Pie Overlord!  Sep 12, 2021 • 9:10:14am

re: #163 JOE 🥓

Just another reason why I will never set foot in Pennsylvania again.

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

Teukka  Sep 12, 2021 • 9:12:57am

re: #167 danarchy

I know. I’m not saying doing away with it, but finding ways that are more sustainable, resilient and adaptible. Like, if trailer parks are the most efficent, why not develop a standard for utility ducting for trailer parks, combine it with a standard for creating a shelter space in it (so it can house the # of folks reasonably assumed to be living in the trailer), either above or below ground or a mixture of the two.
Enough for a coupla days supplies for the people in the trailer above, enough to keep them safe from whatever natural disasters that may hit the area. And trailers built in a way which allows them to have a second-hand market usage, either in parts or as a whole.

gwangung  Sep 12, 2021 • 9:15:53am

re: #177 Teukka

Isn’t our density of housing a lot lower than in Europe? That impacts safety in building. Up the density, you’ll change what’s safe and economical in building.

Decatur Deb  Sep 12, 2021 • 9:15:58am

re: #176 The Pie Overlord!

I watched an extremely good vampire movie in which the male lead lives in an abandoned Detroit suburb, and mourns the loss of the environment. His visiting wife, with her hundreds of years of wisdom, declared: “This will bloom again. They have water. When the southern cities burn, they will return.”

So there’s that.

imdb.com

darthstar  Sep 12, 2021 • 9:16:04am

Nojay UK  Sep 12, 2021 • 9:17:09am

re: #168 Decatur Deb

Explosive residue? Just that? You were lucky.

Place I worked in, they had some old wooden huts from the late 1940s where they carried out some of the early work on plutonium processing and separation for the British nuclear weapons program. The huts were surplus to requirements, falling apart and a fire hazard but that wasn’t what worried the hazmat people. As one of the chemists I worked with said “It’s a pity you can’t buy lead paint any more.” There was some canteen discussions on the subject, someone suggested gifting the sheds to English Heritage as museum pieces and let them worry about the contamination.

Jay C  Sep 12, 2021 • 9:18:11am

re: #177 Teukka

“…why not develop a standard….”

Because standards cost money.
QED

Colère Tueur de Lapin  Sep 12, 2021 • 9:19:30am

re: #134 PhillyPretzel

A lot of houses in Philly are made of brick.

They have a brick shell, the inside is framed with wood, the floors are supported with wood, the floors are made of wood, etc. etc. The inside will burn just fine.

Shiplord Kirel: Fan of USPS, Goodyear, and Oreo  Sep 12, 2021 • 9:20:48am

re: #135 Barefoot Grin

This thread really brings out how fucking crazy things have become since 9/11.

I think I know what inspired that:

PhillyPretzel  Sep 12, 2021 • 9:20:52am

re: #183 Colère Tueur de Lapin

Yes. Insides do burn beautifully.

Teukka  Sep 12, 2021 • 9:22:43am

re: #178 gwangung

That’s a poor way of thinking. Like, there are solutions which are damn good ideas regardless if you live in densely or sparsely populated places.
re: #182 Jay C

“…why not develop a standard”…

Because standards cost money.
QED

Or save money because you don’t have to plan something for every contingency.

wrenchwench  Sep 12, 2021 • 9:23:54am

Hi Stanley

Teukka  Sep 12, 2021 • 9:24:11am

re: #184 Shiplord Kirel: Fan of USPS, Goodyear, and Oreo

I think I know what inspired that:

Oooh. The Maginot Line

Decatur Deb  Sep 12, 2021 • 9:24:52am

re: #186 Teukka

Or save money because you don’t have to plan something for every contingency.

Are we saving my money or his money?

Rightwingconspirator  Sep 12, 2021 • 9:24:58am

We build homes for the threat by region and by available materials. You generally will not find storm cellars in Los Angeles or earthquake reinforcing in Florida. Fires in the home cause few deaths. Under 2000 so far this year. UL appliances, 110v, (we can wait a moment for our water to boil) smoke/fire detectors are cheap and available.
3000 were lost to pool drowning. anidjarlevine.com

In 2018 48,000 of us committed actual suicide.
39,000 lost to falls. Gravity is a bitch.
Roughly 38,000 deaths were due to traffic accidents.
65,000 in accidental poisoning. (Before Ivermectin got popular)

cdc.gov

Teukka  Sep 12, 2021 • 9:26:18am

re: #189 Decatur Deb

Are we saving my money or his money?

In the best of worlds, both.

Decatur Deb  Sep 12, 2021 • 9:28:46am

re: #190 Rightwingconspirator

And we might have 5-10K code setting and enforcing authorities in our particularist system.

Decatur Deb  Sep 12, 2021 • 9:30:12am

re: #191 Teukka

In the best of worlds, both.

Everything’s for the best, in this best of all possible worlds.

mmmirele  Sep 12, 2021 • 9:30:44am

Tired of anti-abortion fanatics, so I turned the question back on the questioner. I so wanted to say “you can’t negotiate with terrorists,” but knew that was probably a bridge too far.

Colère Tueur de Lapin  Sep 12, 2021 • 9:30:56am

re: #186 Teukka

Or save money because you don’t have to plan something for every contingency.

It’s the US — no point in looking past this quarter.

Nojay UK  Sep 12, 2021 • 9:31:01am

re: #185 PhillyPretzel

Yes. Insides do burn beautifully.

Ah yes, Glasgow’s “Red Meccano” (ObUS: Erector Set).

The centre of Glasgow is festooned with impressive stone buildings from the 18th and 19th century, all with preservation orders protecting them from being demolished and remodelled. The interiors are cramped, without elevators, lighting and other modern conveniences for health and safety. Too bad, so sad.

In the 1970s there was a big fire that gutted one of these buildings, burning out the wooden construction inside but leaving the stone structure standing. The outside facade was jacketed with red girders to support it while the inside was scraped out and a modern construction installed. Funnily enough just at the point where the Red Meccano was being removed and the building opened to the public once again, another similar building close by would mysteriously catch fire and suffer the same fate. The Red Meccano would be re-erected, the next building scraped out and refurbished internally and then, mirabile dictu, it would happen again! And again and again…

Rightwingconspirator  Sep 12, 2021 • 9:33:03am

re: #192 Decatur Deb

LOl when building and awaiting inspections to proceed it seems we have one. When filing plans it seems as if we have a million of them.

A hollow voice says Vaccinate the world!  Sep 12, 2021 • 9:33:08am

re: #120 Nojay UK

We do make houses out of wood all the time — couldn’t plastic bricks be used in a way to make them safer, as wood is?

Teukka  Sep 12, 2021 • 9:35:15am

re: #195 Colère Tueur de Lapin

It’s the US — no point in looking past this quarter.

Yeah. And that way of thinking is how people, not only in the US, end up in situations which cost many times more over time than they would right now, even when adjusted for inflation…

wrenchwench  Sep 12, 2021 • 9:38:23am
A hollow voice says Vaccinate the world!  Sep 12, 2021 • 9:44:47am

re: #165 Dr Lizardo

After the great fire of 1923, pretty much all new construction was stucco in Berkeley. The survivors of the Oakland hills fire of 1991 have not been so sensible.

Dopamine Fish  Sep 12, 2021 • 9:48:05am

I did a thing!

Decatur Deb  Sep 12, 2021 • 9:50:36am

re: #202 Dopamine Fish

I did a thing!

‘Zat you, Nine-fingers?

A Cranky One  Sep 12, 2021 • 9:56:34am

re: #202 Dopamine Fish

Careful where you post that. The Arizona audit team may demand your router.

Dopamine Fish  Sep 12, 2021 • 9:57:15am

re: #203 Decatur Deb

‘Zat you, Nine-fingers?

LOL

re: #204 A Cranky One

Careful where you post that. The Arizona audit team may demand your router.

I’m dying. You guys are too funny.

wrenchwench  Sep 12, 2021 • 10:00:10am

re: #202 Dopamine Fish

I did a thing!

Don’t you need to post a series of Pages, and maybe an index to them, in order to do a thing?

mmmirele  Sep 12, 2021 • 10:01:32am

re: #129 Nojay UK

/just recalling that February morning in 2019 when a bit of dust from a planned cleaning of the air ducts in one of the data centers set off the smoke detectors, which set off the Halon system, which shut DOWN the data center for HOURS because this was during a blizzard and gee, the fire department was KINDA BUSY right then.

It was a clusterfuck. I was still working for post-mortem analysis, and recovering from bronchitis (so stupidly working half days when I just should have taken a week off from work) and missed the immediate impact of the incident. That said, we are STILL doing stuff even today to test and make sure that if one data center goes offline, traffic will automagically swing to another data center and the servers will come up and work as expected. It’s not easy.

Oh, and those Halon systems are very high pressure. Several years ago there was a high temperature spike in a data room at a satellite site due to the A/C failing. The Halon system kicked on and blew the doors into the data room off their hinges. There was some physical damage to that building due to flying doors.

Shiplord Kirel: Fan of USPS, Goodyear, and Oreo  Sep 12, 2021 • 10:02:20am
FFL (GOP Delenda Est)  Sep 12, 2021 • 10:02:35am

re: #137 Nojay UK

I got tapped with being the person to call if we had server issues with the HQ server room in Philly since I lived about 2 blocks from the building.

We shut down the server room on the Friday before Hurricane Sandy came ashore. And since it pretty much missed Philadelphia I got called and asked to bring everything back up on Saturday afternoon instead of waiting to do it on Sunday.

This was just local server stuff so luckily bringing it down or back up was not immensely complicated and I had a checklist I’d made that had been approved by people much more knowledgeable about such things than me. Main delays were waiting for the main server locations to acknowledge emails/phone calls that we were going down or coming back up. Otherwise it was flicking switches and then maybe waiting 5-10 minutes before doing the next step. Plenty of time to fix and drink a cup of tea. (Messing with the UPS was something we did once or twice a year. I handled turning that off much more gingerly. However, we did so since to leave it up while the A/C was off due to a building power outage made the server room very very warm.)

nines09  Sep 12, 2021 • 10:05:09am
FFL (GOP Delenda Est)  Sep 12, 2021 • 10:10:26am

re: #157 Decatur Deb

My father worked in a plant that made aluminum flake* for a few years. The plant itself was a series of small buildings adjacent to each other. And he said that the roof for each building was not very securely fastened down because the hope was that an explosion would just vent out via the roof and not go sidewise into the other buildings.

* - An interesting process in which aluminum powder (explosive) was put into a ball mill and squashed to make flakes. Since unoxidized surfaces of aluminum flake will explode/catch on fire with air exposure air/oxygen was pumped into the mill as well so that the oxidation process took place in a controlled manner. Transport medium for the powder and flake was mineral spirits since water would be a reactant.

A great deal of care was made to make sure flame or spark sources were no where nearby since two-thirds of what you need for a large boom were already present.

Decatur Deb  Sep 12, 2021 • 10:13:53am

re: #211 FFL (GOP Delenda Est)

There is a documentary that shows a village in Mexico where everyone lives off the local art—firework making. It shows an old guy with some rocks and hammers turning a Yamaha engine block into aluminum powder. Gritted my teeth all through the scenes.

Dr Lizardo  Sep 12, 2021 • 10:14:31am

Belafon  Sep 12, 2021 • 10:18:01am
FFL (GOP Delenda Est)  Sep 12, 2021 • 10:18:16am

re: #196 Nojay UK

Ah yes, Glasgow’s “Red Meccano” (ObUS: Erector Set).

I know of some buildings in Philly in the Rittenhouse Square area that they essentially kept the stone facades up with scaffolding while they essentially replaced the building behind it with a new one. (They were not burning out one by one though.)

Belafon  Sep 12, 2021 • 10:18:52am

He understands soundbites:

Hecuba's daughter  Sep 12, 2021 • 10:28:02am

A meaningless gesture by Salesforce: cnn.com

Unless companies bite the bullet and relocate to states that support choice and free elections, these are meaningless words. The only thing that might change the minds of those running white supremacist anti-choice pro-insurrection states like Texas is hitting them in the pocketbook. But companies know that they need only to make some trivial gesture and suddenly the pressure is off them.

PhillyPretzel  Sep 12, 2021 • 10:29:32am

My buttons are working again. Thanks Charles. :)

Yeah Sure WhatEVs  Sep 12, 2021 • 10:32:13am

re: #206 wrenchwench

Only when you do a big thing and do it really really well.

Yeah Sure WhatEVs  Sep 12, 2021 • 10:37:40am

re: #217 Hecuba’s daughter

A meaningless gesture by Salesforce: cnn.com

I was actually quite proud of Benioff for doing that.

sagehen  Sep 12, 2021 • 10:40:31am

re: #212 Decatur Deb

Brimstone & Glory, about the town of Tultepec.
pbs.org

A significant number of the interview subjects, old men who’d been working in the fireworks biz since adolescence…. had fewer than the ordinary number of fingers.

Brimstone & Glory - Official Trailer - Oscilloscope Laboratories

plansbandc  Sep 12, 2021 • 10:41:41am

I want that leash for my chiween.

sagehen  Sep 12, 2021 • 10:42:00am

It doesn’t all end up in the ER; a lot of it ends up in prison.

Decatur Deb  Sep 12, 2021 • 10:44:36am

re: #221 sagehen

Brimstone & Glory, about the town of Tultepec.
pbs.org

That’s it. Thanks—

wrenchwench  Sep 12, 2021 • 10:49:55am

re: #219 Yeah Sure WhatEVs

Only when you do a big thing and do it really really well.

It’s all relative….

Teddy's Person  Sep 12, 2021 • 10:52:07am

“Doesn’t the government understand that when they cut education, mental health, housing, & social supports, it all ends up in the ER?”

This is the end result of Reagan’s bogeyman bullshit, “I’m from the government, and I’m hear to help.” Even when the sentiment is promoting the common good, it’s couched in Republican rhetoric of government is bad.

It’s not “the government.” It’s Republicans controlling and manipulating the government.

It’s not “understand.” It’s prioritizing protections for the rich to maintain their wealth and redistribution of wealth upwards.

Decatur Deb  Sep 12, 2021 • 10:54:03am

re: #221 sagehen

Brimstone & Glory, about the town of Tultepec.
pbs.org

Video

I’d forgotten how beautifully that was shot.

Patricia Kayden  Sep 12, 2021 • 11:09:13am

Which government is doing that? I wish she would just say Republicans. They’re the ones who cut social services while cutting the taxes on the wealthy.

Patricia Kayden  Sep 12, 2021 • 11:11:55am

Manchin needs to get neutralized.

Yeah Sure WhatEVs  Sep 12, 2021 • 11:14:00am

re: #225 wrenchwench

It’s all relative….

Not mine. They’re pretty useless. 😂

wrenchwench  Sep 12, 2021 • 11:16:32am

re: #230 Yeah Sure WhatEVs

Not mine. They’re pretty useless. 😂

I don’t even know what that thing dopey did is, yet it looks nicely done. Not big, though.

JC1  Sep 12, 2021 • 11:23:33am

re: #229 Patricia Kayden

Manchin needs to get neutralized.

The way to do that is to pick up a few more senate seats in 22 while keeping the house.

PhillyPretzel  Sep 12, 2021 • 11:24:59am

re: #232 JC1

Get Out The Vote is the way to get rid of the deadwood in the House and Senate.

teleskiguy  Sep 12, 2021 • 11:27:26am
A Cranky One  Sep 12, 2021 • 11:30:17am

re: #231 wrenchwench

He used a new router to cut notches in cabinet doors so that hidden hinges can be installed.

wrenchwench  Sep 12, 2021 • 11:31:47am

re: #235 A Cranky One

TYVM. Nicely routed notches.

teleskiguy  Sep 12, 2021 • 11:34:40am
John Hughes  Sep 12, 2021 • 11:34:51am

re: #215 FFL (GOP Delenda Est)

There’s a famous building in Washington DC where they did that. Has to move the occupants to the underlings quarters while the work was going on.

A Mom Anon  Sep 12, 2021 • 11:37:47am

re: #237 teleskiguy

Same goes for MMA fighting, WWE type wrestling and boxing. So much brain injury and permanent damage. And the companies that run and own these sports don’t give a damn.

GlutenFreeJesus  Sep 12, 2021 • 11:51:10am

re: #139 Teukka

No first floor windows. You know. To keep the zombies outside. And a pull-up stairwell like an attic ladder. Yes. I’ve thought about this.

Backwoods_Sleuth  Sep 12, 2021 • 11:51:47am

what an asshole

FFL (GOP Delenda Est)  Sep 12, 2021 • 11:52:10am

re: #240 GlutenFreeJesus

So you essentially want a Norman keep?

Patricia Kayden  Sep 12, 2021 • 11:52:31am
Teukka  Sep 12, 2021 • 11:52:32am

re: #240 GlutenFreeJesus

Double basement, the second with 400 mm walls, floor and ceiling. And yeah, escape routes.

darthstar  Sep 12, 2021 • 11:53:32am

re: #229 Patricia Kayden

Manchin needs to get neutralized.

You mean we need to pick up a bunch of seats in 2022 and when we push the 3.5 Trillion through then and he offers to vote for it we tell him to go fuck himself for setting the country back another two years.

FFL (GOP Delenda Est)  Sep 12, 2021 • 11:54:31am

re: #245 darthstar

Joe who?

Patricia Kayden  Sep 12, 2021 • 11:55:08am

Yeah, him not washing his hands often sounds just about right. I exercise every day but because of pre-existing conditions that I didn’t choose to inherit, I use the healthcare system all the time. Using the healthcare system isn’t shameful.

steve_davis  Sep 12, 2021 • 11:55:15am

This little goober is the coolest musical gizmo I’ve ever seen. You plug it in to your guitar or bass, plug headphones in the other end, and you’ve got roughly 3 dozen amps to choose from and dozens of pedals. I’m currently practicing blues licks through a fender twin reverb with some extra gain dialed in off a pedal, or practicing bass with one of the impulse response emulations using one of the bass IR’s.

Backwoods_Sleuth  Sep 12, 2021 • 11:55:36am
darthstar  Sep 12, 2021 • 11:55:45am

Hope he enjoys his Herman Cain Award.

John Hughes  Sep 12, 2021 • 11:57:58am

re: #240 GlutenFreeJesus

My house, like many French houses, has pre-installed anti zombie shutters.

John Hughes  Sep 12, 2021 • 12:02:00pm

re: #250 darthstar

Hope he enjoys his Herman Cain Award.

By the way, speaking of zombies, is Herman still twittering?

Backwoods_Sleuth  Sep 12, 2021 • 12:02:25pm
Dread Pirate Ron  Sep 12, 2021 • 12:07:56pm
Backwoods_Sleuth  Sep 12, 2021 • 12:09:47pm
First As Tragedy, Then As Farce  Sep 12, 2021 • 12:10:46pm

Say what you want about me, but dipshits like this inevitably dying of covid will never stop being hilarious to me.

Teukka  Sep 12, 2021 • 12:13:21pm

re: #254 Dread Pirate Ron

Backwoods_Sleuth  Sep 12, 2021 • 12:13:26pm
First As Tragedy, Then As Farce  Sep 12, 2021 • 12:13:36pm

re: #248 steve_davis

OK, but how are your neighbors supposed to enjoy along with you?

Patricia Kayden  Sep 12, 2021 • 12:18:39pm

re: #257 Teukka

Glad to see that Eric may be working with incorrect information.

Dopamine Fish  Sep 12, 2021 • 12:18:44pm

re: #236 wrenchwench

TYVM. Nicely routed notches.

Thank you. I was nervous, but it went well. I mounted the doors, and they line up as close as, or closer than, the lower doors that were professionally mounted on the cabinet. So all in all, I’m happy with the job.

First As Tragedy, Then As Farce  Sep 12, 2021 • 12:19:17pm

No meds. Haven’t been at doctor’s office or hospital in years

Love, love, love this. There’s a mile-long list of horrific diseases that can persist for years without expressing a single symptom until it’s way past “too late”.

I would pay big money to be in the exam room when the doc says, “you’re probably going to be dead in about 3 months from something we could have cured 5 years ago”.

Teukka  Sep 12, 2021 • 12:20:44pm

re: #260 Patricia Kayden

Glad to see that Eric may be working with incorrect information.

And working with the assumption that even though an official decision to vaxx 12-15 year olds hasn’t been made, preparations for such aren’t either. And noting that masks were mandated from the beginning of this year, once they had enough data to go ahead. Many had already begun masking by then, I’m a little over 1 year masking whenever I go outside.

Backwoods_Sleuth  Sep 12, 2021 • 12:23:39pm
Patricia Kayden  Sep 12, 2021 • 12:26:23pm
Belafon  Sep 12, 2021 • 12:26:45pm

To add to all of the good points about how he could get others sick, I also added:

FFL (GOP Delenda Est)  Sep 12, 2021 • 12:27:50pm

re: #262 First As Tragedy, Then As Farce

This is the same viewpoint as those who don’t want to pay for insurance since they’re currently healthy and “It won’t happen to me!” Or don’t want to pay for auto insurance since accidents happen to other people. They keep rolling the dice every day and snake eyes just has not managed to show up yet.

You just hope that when it does they have not, or are not, taking innocent people down with them.

Backwoods_Sleuth  Sep 12, 2021 • 12:36:15pm
Teddy's Person  Sep 12, 2021 • 12:39:33pm

PhillyPretzel  Sep 12, 2021 • 12:40:08pm

Thank you Josh. Keep fighting them.

Shiplord Kirel: Fan of USPS, Goodyear, and Oreo  Sep 12, 2021 • 12:40:40pm
cat-tikvah  Sep 12, 2021 • 12:42:41pm

Everyone is one accident or diagnosis away from catastrophic illness. Far better to be grateful for the health you have than disdainful of the struggles of others.

cat-tikvah  Sep 12, 2021 • 12:44:47pm

I’m livid about this PA fraudit. Senate president Corman was against it till he was for it.
The PA GOP is chock full of liars and seditionists and Christian supremacists and those who aren’t are terrified of their base.

Patricia Kayden  Sep 12, 2021 • 2:46:23pm

Eventual Carrion  Sep 12, 2021 • 11:58:22pm

re: #51 Dread Pirate Ron

Beware the ‘rona fart. thread

I shit you not.

Eventual Carrion  Sep 13, 2021 • 12:02:02am

re: #52 Wendell Zurkowitz ((slave to the waffle light))

I only crap outdoors

May cat’s that way too. She hates going indoors. This seems abnormal, but we deal with it.

Last updated: 2021-06-05 2:51 pm PDT

#Thegreatpoolpondconversion - 210919Saturday afternoon was spent leveling and starting this mosaic It's almost all recycled pieces from other projects.We got about half way through and had enough. Sunday we hauled some more dirt over and finished it up. The eyesore trash cans ...
Dangerman
Tweets: 0 •
The Stranglers - This Song (Official Video) This Song' is out on 10th Sept 2021 on Coursegood: slinky.toTaken from the new album 'Dark Matters' by The Stranglers: slinky.to Special thanks to Stuart Pearce. thestranglers.co.ukfacebook.cominstagram.com@StranglersSiteLyrics:I’m collecting all these feelings for youPut them in a box in a ...
Tweets: 1 •
Jukebox the Ghost - Cheers! (Lyric Video) “Cheers!” out now: jukeboxtheghost.lnk.to“Cheers!” Lyrics Here's to more of the everyday, raise a glass and sing along, the outcasts and the underdogs On the benches, on the sidelines, wallflowers: this is our time ordinary people every dayIn the nosebleeds, ...
Tweets: 2 •
An Epic Takedown Appears to Be in the WorksAn epic takedown of Facebook is afoot: But going back to the WSJ series on Facebook, the quote in today's paper is priceless: "A now-former executive questioned the idea of overhauling Instagram to avoid social comparison. 'People use Instagram because ...
Eric The Fruit Bat
Views: 2,292 • Comments: 0 • Rating: 1
Tweets: 3 •
#Thegreatpoolpondconversion - 210912We got our replacement solar panel.Figured we'd install, then take readings to sort of know if something was wrong in the future.One panel at a time, then pairs of 2, then all 3. Because they all connect to one feed ...
Dangerman
Tweets: 0 •
#Thegreatpoolpondconversion - 210905Not having that third solar panel for 3 weeks, it’s clear now that we definitely needed the upgrade when we decided in November. 3 puts us over the top of more electricity than consumption. Still no ETA so we turned ...
Dangerman
Tweets: 0 •
Evangelicals and the Limits of Evangelical EmpathyLink to the article at: alternet.org She writes of her own experience where she turned against evangelicals. Here are the critical paragraphs to think about. And this will bring me to the ongoing evangelical moral panic over exvangelicals, those who ...
JOE 🥓
2 weeks, 1 day ago
Tweets: 3 •
How Did the United States Treat the Creator of…The SaintJust a reminder of how one Leslie Charteris was treated by the Chinese Exclusion Act…and California’s anti-Chinese laws. Just in case you didn’t know, Leslie Charteris was the creator of this literary figure… Charteris himself wasn’t far removed from his ...
JOE 🥓