BBC News: MoD silent over report of SAS men captured in Libya
The Ministry of Defence says it will not comment on a claim in the Sunday Times that members of the SAS have been seized by rebel forces in Libya.
In a statement, the MoD said: “We do not comment on the special forces.”
The paper claims the unit was involved in a secret mission to put British diplomats in touch with rebels trying to topple Colonel Muammar Gaddafi.
It says eight SAS men, in plain clothes but armed, were captured as they escorted the diplomat in eastern Libya.
The paper claims the SAS soldiers were taken to Benghazi, the rebel stronghold, where they are being interrogated…
The full statement from the MoD read: “We neither confirm nor deny the story and we do not comment on the special forces.”
Geneva-based Human Rights Solidarity group said it was aware that a team of special forces had been seized by Libyan rebels but it did not know which country they were from.