Lawyer: No defense for Arivaca suspect
An attorney for accused murderer Jason Bush said Tuesday there is such “overwhelming evidence” Bush gunned down an Arivaca family, killing two of them, that his team doesn’t plan to offer any defense in his upcoming trial.
Defense attorney Richard Parrish said in a motion filed Tuesday that neither he nor co-counsel Chris Kimminau will contest Bush’s guilt because they “would entirely lose their credibility before the jury,” which they would then have to persuade not to impose the death penalty.
Jury selection in Bush’s first-degree murder trial started Tuesday. His lawyers told Pima County Superior Court Judge Judge John Leonardo that Bush has no defense. He confessed - a confession he later recanted - and he suffered a gunshot wound in the incident, Parrish said.
Bush, Shawna Forde and Albert Gaxiola were indicted in June 2009 in the slayings of Arivaca residents Raul Junior Flores, 29, and Brisenia Flores, 9.
During Forde’s trial last month, Flores’ wife, Gina Gonzalez, testified a gunman with black face paint shot Flores and herself after entering their house claiming to be law enforcement officers.
Gonzalez told jurors that as she pretended to be dead, the gunman assured her daughter he wasn’t going to hurt her, but then reloaded and shot her twice in the face at point-blank range.
“We agree that his character is evil, demented and unconscionable, but that his mental state rendered him unable to ‘conform his conduct to the requirements of the law,’ ” Parrish wrote.
And those are the lawyers on HIS side.