NC Terrorism Convict Faces New Beheading Plot Case
A North Carolina man recently convicted in a homegrown terrorism plot faces new charges that he attempted to hire a hit man to behead three witnesses who testified against him.
Hysen Sherifi of Raleigh was indicted on nine counts Tuesday, accused of plotting with his younger brother and a female friend to pay a hit man to carry out the killings. Court records say an FBI informant accepted a $5,000 payment and then provided faked photos appearing to show a beheaded corpse as confirmation of the hit.
Shkumbin Sherifi, 21, and Nevine Aly Elshiekh, 46, were arrested last month and charged as part of an elaborate FBI sting operation. They face additional charges in the new grand jury indictment. If convicted, they face lengthy maximum sentences that could effectively send them away for life.
Hysen Sherifi, 27, was sentenced in January to 45 years in prison for a plot to attack the U.S. Marine Corps base at Quantico, Va., and targets overseas.
That case rested on testimony and evidence collected by FBI informants paid to befriend Daniel Patrick Boyd, a North Carolina convert to Islam suspected of having ties to overseas terrorist groups. Boyd and two of his sons eventually pleaded guilty to federal terrorism charges. Hysen Sherifi and two others were found guilty in October. A seventh man accused in the plot is set to go on trial in May.
Prosecutors allege that shortly after his trial ended in October, Hysen Sherifi approached another inmate inside the New Hanover County jail near Wilmington and asked if he knew of anyone willing to kill someone for money. Sherifi told the other inmate he wanted the three government informants who testified at his trial beheaded, along with a fourth man Sherifi said had cheated his family out of money, according to federal affidavits filed in the case.