Air Force Training Head Orders Investigation Into Instructor Sexual Misconduct After Lackland Scandal
The head of the Air Force’s training command ordered an independent investigation into instructor misconduct Friday amid a scandal at a Texas base that already has led to sexual misconduct charges against four instructors.
Gen. Edward A. Rice Jr., commander of the Air Education and Training Command, said in a statement that he has appointed Maj. Gen. Margaret H. Woodward — acting director of operational planning, policy and strategy at the Air Force’s headquarters in Washington — to lead the investigation that will include all training units in the command.
Rice said concerns about instructor sexual misconduct came to light after an instructor at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland was accused of sexual assault last year. Military prosecutors have since charged four Lackland instructors with sexual misconduct involving trainees. One has been accused of rape.
Rice expressed confidence that the majority of military training team members follow conduct standards but he wants to ensure there aren’t broader problems.
“It’s important to look even deeper and wider to identify any systemic issues that may place our youngest Airmen at risk in any basic or technical training environment,” he said. “If there are, we need to address them.”