Previously unknown group claims Burgas attack
A previously unknown terrorist group claimed responsibility Saturday for the terror attack against an Israeli tour bus in Burgas last week while Bulgarian security authorities were reportedly searching for additional suspects involved in the bombing.
Five Israelis and a Bulgarian driver were killed in the attack and dozens more were injured. Israel and the United States have accused Hezbollah of perpetrating the attack but on Saturday a group called “Base of Jihad” claimed responsibility for the attack.
Bulgarian police have published pictures of the suspected bomber who was carrying forged US identification and has yet to be identified.
“With Allah’s help and after close surveillance one of us succeeded in blowing up a Jewish bus in Bulgaria,” the group said in a statement that appeared on a Lebanese news site. The previously-unknown group could be connected to global jihad or being used as a cover by Hezbollah.
Bulgaria’s Focus News Agency quoted a spokesperson of the country’s foreign ministry as denying that the group carried out the attack.
Foreign Minister Avigdor Liberman said last week that Israel had solid evidence that Hezbollah, in “close cooperation with the Iranian Revolutionary Guards”, was responsible for the attack.