Chevron’s Largest California Refinery ‘Immediate-Extreme-Health-Hazard’ Fire Emergency
At approximately 2:30 p.m. today there was an explosion at the Chevron
refinery in Richmond, Calif. The explosion occurred in a hydrocracking unit, a processing unit that converts gas oil into gasoline and jet fuel.
* All employees who work in that unit have been accounted for without
* After the explosion, Chevron immediately activated its emergency
response procedures and notified area agencies.
* Chevron industrial hygienists are sampling and touring the perimeter of the facility and surrounding community. No acutely hazardous materials are directly involved with the event. Health officials suggest neighbors remain inside with their doors and windows closed.
* Chevron fire department personnel immediately responded to the fire and called in assistance from the Richmond Fire Department. They continue to attempt to put out the fire.
* The hydrocracking unit in the refinery has been shut down. All other
unaffected areas of the refinery are operating.
* Cause of the explosion will be fully investigated.
* At this point, Chevron does not expect this incident to have a
significant effect on its ability to supply petroleum products to its