Obama Defends Medicare Record in New Ad
President Barack Obama launched his first ad defending his record on Medicare on Friday, accusing Republican Mitt Romney and running mate Paul Ryan of undermining the health care program critical to millions of seniors.
This came as Romney made plans to spend his time raising money in non-battleground states, a move which remains a top priority even with the election less than 12 weeks away and Obama making extended visits to toss-up states such as Iowa and Ohio.
In a new Medicare ad, Obama’s campaign points to the AARP, which said in a letter to lawmakers earlier this year that Ryan’s plan to transform Medicare into a voucher-like system would lead to higher costs for seniors. It said Obama’s approach would strengthen the program. Romney has criticized Obama for taking more than $700 billion in Medicare funds to help pay for the president’s health care law.