Murder and Gun Charges Laid in Quebec Election-Night Shooting
The alleged gunman in the Quebec election night shooting that left one man dead and another wounded during the Parti Québécois victory rally earlier this week was formally charged today with first-degree murder and 15 other offences.
Richard Henry Bain of La Conception, Que., a town about 140 kilometres northwest of Montreal, is accused of killing a stage technician just outside the concert hall where PQ Leader and Quebec premier-designate Pauline Marois was delivering her victory speech.
The other charges against Bain include:
Three counts of attempted murder.
The targets of the alleged attempted murders were a police officer and two civilians, one of whom was a technician who was taken to hospital with critical injuries but is now in stable condition.
Crown prosector Éliane Perreault said all but one of the more than 20 weapons seized from the accused were registered. (CBC)
In total, police seized 22 guns from the accused, authorities said Thursday.