Military Chief Vows âHarsher Responseâ if Further Syria Shelling
Turkish Chief of General Staff Gen. Necdet Ăzel on Wednesday vowed to give a âharsher responseâ to Syria if shelling from the neighboring country continues to spill over the border, after last weekâs deadly incident which left five Turks dead in a border town.
Ăzel, who has been inspecting troops along the border for a couple of days, was on Wednesday in the border town of AkĂ§akale, where a Syrian mortar shell killed five civilians on Oct. 3.
Ăzel said the Turkish military had instantly launched retaliatory strikes after the Syrian shell hit AkĂ§akale on Oct. 3. âWe responded, but if it continues we will respond with greater force,â Ăzel said. He added that the Syrian military has suffered serious damage from the Turkish strikes.
Accompanied by Land Forces Commander Gen. Hayri KÄ±vrÄ±koÄlu and 2nd Army Commander Gen. Galip Mendi, the military chief arrived in AkĂ§akale early on Wednesday after inspecting troops in other towns along the border with Syria. Ăzel also paid a visit to Ămer TimuĂ§in, whose wife, three children and a relative were killed in the Oct. 3 incident, to offer his condolences.
âThe pain of one of our citizens is the pain of all of us,â Ăzel said during the visit.