French Terror Cell Planned to Join ‘Jihadists in Syria’
The Paris prosecutor said Thursday that he will be seeking “attempted murder” and “terrorism charges” against seven of the suspects arrested Saturday. He also said the cell was potentially the most dangerous established in France in over a decade.
Paris prosecutor Francois Molins confirmed at a press conference Thursday that some of the 12 suspected cell members arrested over the weekend had plans to join jihadists in Syria.
Molins also told the banks of reporters that he will be seeking “attempted murder” and “terrorism charges” against the suspects.
The Paris prosecutor’s office earlier reported that five of the 12 people had been released.
Underlining the importance of the case, Molins said the group was potentially the most dangerous established in France in over a decade.
The press conference comes a day after police discovered bomb-making materials in an underground car park near Paris.
Investigators searched lock-up garages in the town of Torcy, near Paris, after an anti-terror raid on Saturday ended with police shooting dead Islamist suspect Jérémie Louis-Sidney, who has been linked to a grenade attack on a Jewish supermarket last month. The September 19 attack on the market in Sarcelles, outside Paris, shattered windows and injured a customer at the store. Two attackers fled.
Louis-Sidney died in a hail of bullets on Saturday after opening fire on police as they stormed his apartment in Strasbourg, north-eastern France.