Pakistan ‘Toxic Syrup’ Kills 16 in Lahore
At least 16 people have died in the Pakistani city of Lahore after drinking what police say was toxic cough syrup.
The factory producing the medicine has been sealed, and three people have been arrested, including a distributor of the medicine.
The deaths occurred between Friday and Sunday. Police say they were mostly drug addicts in Shahdra town area.
Cough syrup, which is sold as an over-the-counter medicine, is sometimes used by addicts to get high, police say.
“Some of the victims were found dead in a graveyard where addicts used to take different kind of drugs,” local police chief Atif Zulfiqar told AFP news agency.