NPR: Busting a Cyberstalker
This is from last December and is only one woman’s story, but it contains important information everyone should be aware of when it comes to dealing with cyberstalking and/or harassment (especially if you’re dealing with a local police department that doesn’t take it seriously or is trying to discourage you from filing a report).
Carla Franklin was cyberstalked and bullied for years by a man she briefly dated. She has now become an advocate and expert for online harassment. Host Michel Martin talks with Franklin about her experience and cyberstalking laws. *Advisory: This conversation may not be comfortable for all listeners.
More on Carla’s story at The Daily Beast - Busting a Cyberstalker: How Carla Franklin Fought Back—and Triumphed
- The Haunting of Erin Andrews - Two years after that infamous video, the ESPN reporter still can't escape it — even though she put her stalker behind bars. As she gears up for college football season, she opens up about the public and private battles she's still waging. Marie Claire 13 July 2011
- Cyberstalking 'now more common' than face-to-face stalking - First study of its kind shows complete strangers target victims, of whom nearly 40% are men. The Guardian 8 April 2011
- A Sinister Web Entraps Victims of Cyberstalkers - The problem of cyberstalking can be devastating, and it is not easily legislated away. The New York Times 17 April 2006
- How to Report Internet Harassment - eHow
- Cyberbullying / Stalking & Harassment - Wired Safety, an online safety, education, and help group
- Stalking Resource Center - National Center for Victims of Crime in partnership with the U.S. Department of Justice Office on Violence Against Women
- Stalking - U.S. Department of Justice Office on Violence Against Women
- State Cyberstalking and Cyberharassment Laws - National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL)
- Online Harassment/Cyberstalking Statistics - Working to Halt Online Abuse (WHOA)
Who to follow on Twitter:
- @parryaftab - Parry Aftab: privacy and security lawyer, founder of wiredsafety.org & stopcyberbullying.org, Managing Director of WiredTrust
- @SRC_NCVC - Stalking Resource Center (SRC): works to enhance the ability of professionals, organizations, and systems to effectively respond to stalking through training and technical assistance.
- @TheJusticeDept - Official U.S. Department of Justice account
- @OJPgov - Official Office of Justice Programs account
- @NCSLorg - National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL): a bipartisan organization serving the legislators and staff of states, commonwealths and territories