US Charges Libyan With Role in Deadly Attack on Benghazi Consulate
U.S. officials confirmed Tuesday that a Libyan man, Ahmed Abu Khattalah, has been charged with playing a significant role in last year’s attack on the U.S. diplomatic compound in Benghazi.
He is the first person known to be charged in connection with the attack, though officials say other charges have also been filed.
He has been described as the founder of Ansar al-Sharia, a Libyan extremist group. Investigators have said for months that they believe he was at the U.S. consulate during the attack.
The charges were filed under seal in Washington, D.C. late last month. Authorities have not said whether he has been arrested in Libya.