What Benghazi Family Members Say Hillary Clinton Said About the Video
The Fact Checker previously looked into allegations that Hillary Clinton had told two stories after the 2012 Benghazi attacks that left four Americans dead — a private one that it was a terrorist attack and the public one that blamed Muslim outrage over a YouTube video. The evidence was mixed, open to interpretation, but we concluded that there was not enough for GOP rivals to make definitive judgments that she lied.
The Clinton campaign at the time declined to discuss Clinton’s statements to family members at the transfer of remains ceremony held at Joint Base Andrews on Sept. 14, 2012. But on Dec. 6, George Stephanopoulus directly asked the question. Clinton rejected the claim of some family members that she had blamed the video in private conversations. Then, she did so again in an interview with the editorial board of the Conway Daily News a few weeks later.