My Advice to Democrats: It’s Time to Start Acting Like Republicans
Like so many of you today I woke up in absolute shock at what happened last night and also full of worry for my black and brown brothers and sisters, LGBT brothers and sisters, military brothers and sisters, and the state of our nation overall.
My mourning is over.
It’s time to move forward and continue the fight. With this in mind I urge my fellow Democrats, progressives and liberals to reflect about what happened, learn from it, and move forward with a new plan of attack. Complaining about the results will not do us any good and will not advance our beliefs that we’ve fought so hard for.
It is time to begin acting like Republicans. No, I do not mean from a policy standpoint, or the identity politics, or the xenophobia. But it is time to accept the fact that the Republican Party’s strategy of obstruction and demonization, the strategy of endless investigations and conspiracy theories, the strategy of constant victimization, has resulted in wave elections in 3 of the last 4 election cycles. This is undeniable fact, and it is time to take note that the strategy is working.
- I urge the Democrats in Congress to obstruct at every chance possible. I don’t care if they propose an infrastructure bill with everything you’ve ever wanted. Block it. Complain that it raises taxes even if it doesn’t. Say that it’s not enough funding and if they propose more say that it’s too much. When it fails to pass, blame the Republicans for not reaching across the aisle. Provide a united front and never give an inch. Oh, you want to defund Planned Parenthood? Fine, we’ll shut down the government. You want to confirm judges? Automatic holds. If they repeal Obamacare, do not vote for the replacement. When health insurance premiums go up (as they always do), blame the Republicans. When they offer to fix it, vote against it and tell them you will only accept universal healthcare.
- The old guard is done and the Democrats need to find new leadership. I hesitate to say this because I have friends in leadership roles throughout the Democratic apparatus. Their leadership has failed and it’s time to move on. The folks running major operations for the Democrats -- the DNC, the DCCC, the DSCC, Priorities USA, the Clinton campaign -- have had multiple cycles in leadership and you’ve not just failed, but you’ve failed spectacularly. I urge Democrats to move on from the same pollsters, the same consultants, the same people in leadership that we’ve had for the past 20 years. Think about Obama’s PAC, OFA and you think of a relentless ground game and conversation changing advertisements. Quick, name one thing that Priorities did this cycle that was effective. Name one thing the DNC did this cycle that was effective. It is time for new leadership at the top.
- I believe that Democrats are on the right side of history and on the right side of policy. Our message is not getting through. I remember a quote from a comedian (I believe Patton Oswalt, but not sure) who said if you tell a joke, even if you think it’s the funniest one you’ve ever told, and the audience doesn’t laugh, then it’s your fault and not theirs. Too many comedians blame the audience for not laughing when it’s just your fault for not delivering the joke well, having the wrong take on the subject, or it just not being funny. If a joke bombs but you believe in it, then you need to work on it. Democrats, do not blame the audience. Yes, it’s incredible that Donald Trump was elected president but this is our fault, not theirs. We are not delivering our message in the right way, we are going about it wrong, or we have the wrong message altogether.
- It’s time to call out conservative media bias. Jeff Zucker at CNN said the other day that he hired his pack of lying Trump surrogates because he had a responsibility to provide the 14 million Trump primary voters with a voice. Bull shit. You owe your viewers the truth, and Jeffrey Lord telling Bakhari Sellers that he should apologize for slavery is not the truth. It’s time to call out the media for their obsession with the horse race and ignoring policy. It is time to be relentless in our criticism of the media for selling the American people short. The American media has a responsibility to present the truth, not to provide both sides of the argument. This is a point liberals have been making, but it is time to be relentless in our criticism.
- Last, but not least – For the next 4 years blame everything on Republicans. When a terrorist attack happens, it is President Trump’s fault. The DOW went down 150 points in a day? President Trump’s fault. An unarmed black teenager is gunned down for the crime of buying Skittles? Welcome to Trump’s America. Americans are killed abroad? That’s obviously a ploy by President Trump to hide the fact that terrorism still exists. These Republicans own everything for the next 4 years. I mean absolutely everything.