Twice-Baked Sour Cherry Pie Recipe - NYT Cooking
- 1 ¾ cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, more for rolling out dough
- ⅜ teaspoon kosher salt
- 15 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons instant tapioca
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 pounds sour cherries (about 6 cups), rinsed and pitted
- 1 tablespoon kirsch or brandy
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Demerara sugar, for sprinkling
- Nutritional Information
- Nutritional analysis per serving (8 servings) 492 calories; 25 grams fat; 16 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 6 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 62 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams dietary fiber; 35 grams sugars; 4 grams protein; 69 milligrams cholesterol; 103 milligrams sodium
- Note: The information shown is Edamam’s estimate based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice. Powered by Edamam
- To make dough: in bowl of a food processor pulse together flour and salt just to combine. Add butter and pulse until chickpea-size pieces form. Add 3 to 6 tablespoons ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and pulse until mixture just comes together. Separate dough into 2 disks, one using 2/3 dough, the other using the remaining. Wrap disks in plastic and refrigerate at least 1 hour (and up to 3 days) before rolling out and baking.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Place larger dough disk on a lightly floured surface and roll into a 12-inch circle, about 3/8-inch thick. Transfer to a 9-inch pie plate. Line dough with foil and weigh it down with pie weights. Bake until crust is light golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- While pie crust is baking, prepare filling. In bowl of a food processor, combine sugar, tapioca and cinnamon (use more tapioca if you prefer a thicker, more solid filling, and less if you like a looser, juicier filling). Run the motor until tapioca is finely ground. Place cherries in a bowl and add sugar and tapioca mixture. Drizzle in kirsch or brandy and toss gently to combine.
- When pie crust is ready, transfer it to a wire rack to cool slightly and reduce heat to 375 degrees. Remove foil and weights. Scrape cherry filling into pie crust.
- Place smaller disk of dough on a lightly floured surface and roll it 3/8-inch thick. Use a round cookie cutter (or several round cookie cutters of different sizes) to cut out circles of dough. Arrange circles on top of cherry filling in a pattern of your choice.
- Brush top crust with cream and sprinkle generously with Demerara sugar. Bake until crust is dark golden brown and filling begins to bubble, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Transfer pie to a wire rack to cool for at least 2 hours, allowing filling to set before serving.