It’s National Pie Day! Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe - NYT Cooking
Ingredients The filling:
- 1 9-inch pie shell
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- 1 ½ cups boiling water
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons grated lemon rind
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Prepare any basic pie shell; preheat conventional oven to 350 degrees for browning meringue.
- To make filling, mix sugar, cornstarch and water in a 1-quart casserole. Cook in microwave oven at 100 percent power 1 1/2 minutes. Stir; turn microwave to 100 percent power and cook 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds until thick.
- Beat a little of the hot mixture into the egg yolks; then stir egg mixture into remaining hot cornstarch and sugar mixture. Cook 45 seconds in microwave oven at 100 percent power. Blend in lemon juice, rind and butter. Pour into shell.
- To make meringue, beat egg whites and cream of tartar in a mixing bowl until frothy. Beat in sugar, a little at a time. Continue beating until stiff. Beat in vanilla.
- Place meringue onto filling, being careful to seal meringue to edge of crust. Put pie in conventional oven; brown lightly at 350 degrees.